January Pagan Moms' Thread - Page 9 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#241 of 583 Old 01-11-2007, 05:35 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
A little bit of snow in my area. And it all melted today becase the sun is so bright and it is 43.

A lovely day. I am home with my kiddos and will work this evening.

I feel the quickening also. I am making homemade whole wheat bread, doing laundry...the whole domestic mama thing and it feels great!

Brendon

It took me a while to get pregnant with my dd. I started really stressing and then I "took a break" from thinking about and Poof, pregnant. Good luck.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#242 of 583 Old 01-11-2007, 09:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OdeToJoy View Post
I've been awake since the sun got up.

Brendon-

Ds is still sick. My car is back at the mechanic...but ds's father informed me that he's not paying for it to get fixed. I wrote about it in my blog.
What a complete UA violation he sounds like hun. I STILL can't work out how to comment on blogs : Something WILL come up to enable you to get around again soon I just know it. Make sure your sons therapists will be able to get him back in when it does! You have all my automotive attracting vibes coming your way I can wait for my mini van.. after all I can walk to what I need if I get off my lazy bum! Try to stay positive (easier said than done I know :S)

I am off for moms day out! I'm going to hang out nappies (my contribution to the household today) and head out for a trip to the fabric/craft store where everything is on special (woo finally getting the fabric to reupholster my dining chairs that are saaaaaad looking), the garden centre (yay for veggie plants & dirt!), and Target to pay on my new bedroom decor thats on layaway. DH has informed me I need to get a really lucious special coffee at my favorite place and some lunch while I am out too : because he's got EBM in the freezer for bub..so he said to stay out till my boobs tell me I have to come home Not a lot of money there but I can pick up a few things to keep me busy at least. So you lovely mama's have a nice evening/day/whatever it is and I shall catch ya on the other side of night!

Pagan  lovin'  WOW playing mum to 5 boys in the wonderful land of Oz ... FOR THE HORDE! hehehe
#243 of 583 Old 01-11-2007, 09:50 PM

Thanks Cari.
The mechanic fixed a different problem and ds's father agreed to pay for it. The mechanic said we'll keep an eye on the oil leak and see it becomes a big problem.
Correct me if I'm wrong here, people, but isn't ANY oil leak not a good thing?

I guess ds's father complained to the mechanic not to fix it if it's not pouring out in buckets.

So, I'll use the car on Friday and see what happens. I'll keep an eye out under the car and see if there's still a leak.

Anyone have a good, safe, reliable car that I can have?
#244 of 583 Old 01-11-2007, 11:37 PM

Ode- the only frame of reference I have is my parents old beat up cars and they always seemed to be leaking something and we still used them. Not very helpful I know. *laughs* I have had small leak in a gas tank and it was o.k. but that was pre-kiddos. I think I am more cautious with the girls though.

I just began reading about Imbolic and making plans. I am going to ask the homeschool group if they would like to plan something.

Dhjammin.gif, Me knit.gif, DD 10 REPlaySkateboard04HL.gif, DD 7 cat.gif, DD 4 joy.gif

We reading.gif, homeschool.gif, cold.gif, eat.gif, sleepytime.gif not in that order

#245 of 583 Old 01-12-2007, 03:57 AM

OTJ... Well all my older cars have always left small oil leaks on our driveways so *hopefully* your wheels will keep on for a while yet! I'd suggest keeping a litre of oil in the trunk and checking the oil and water every time you get ready to use the car... that way you'll also get a clear pic of how MUCH oil its losing and you can top it up. It's a nuisance, but it's what we did with our 88 POS for a good while and she kept on keeping on for another couple of years! Have you tried the LOA manifesting tree thread ...you never know, someone might be mechanically inclined and may be able to help you out! I'd offer ya mine if it hadn't died... but you seem like a nice lady and I wouldn't curse you that way

Just got in from the garden center, fabric store and such. Had a good time shopping, spent too much but I have a small assortment of veggies & herbs in a few big pots now! I got some black russian tomatos to try to grow... if you haven't tasted them OMG they are awesome! Also got a golden capsicum (bell pepper), some basil that smells just droolworthy, a lovely thyme, a 4pk of cucumber seedlings and an oregano plant. Me & dh just potted them up and are plotting more for next fortnight

Pagan  lovin'  WOW playing mum to 5 boys in the wonderful land of Oz ... FOR THE HORDE! hehehe
#246 of 583 Old 01-12-2007, 02:22 PM

Liz, I have a 90 Tercel that has had an oil leak for 5 years. We check the oil level every time we fill up with gas and we expect another couple years out of it since it still runs like a dream.

My family of 3 (plus pup) Indigo (Aimee), Rob (dp), Ryne (ds) & Phebe (dog), plus my BIL's family of 3.

"The best way to predict the future is to invent it." - Alan Kay

#247 of 583 Old 01-12-2007, 08:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Igraine View Post
I feel the quickening also. I am making homemade whole wheat bread, doing laundry...the whole domestic mama thing and it feels great!
I made two loaves of whole wheat bread today and was not happy with the results. If you have a good recipe please share.
#248 of 583 Old 01-12-2007, 09:10 PM

So...more requests for finger crossing (cause you ladies have some POWERFUL finger crossing abilities I've found!)

Tomorrow DH and I are going to go look at a house we might consider buying. We own a house (well, the bank owns it, but ya know what I mean) in downtown Ithaca. Beautiful town, horrible neighborhood. Actually, the neighborhood is getting better and better and in 3-4 more years it's going to be a smashing place to live...but by then it will be a little late for my girls. Right now with the gang violence and drug traffic I'm always tense and uneasy in my own home, and dd can't play outside. Heck, this morning I took her to a local park and had to pick up all the "crack baggies" littering the toddler area.

Anyway, DH and I are pretty handy at fixing old homes by now and there is a place 20 miles outside town that needs A LOT of love. The price is something we could afford (especially if we could sell or rent out our current place) and the question know is just how bad is the place? The agent has been pretty vague and the pictures don't help much (http://www.ithacarealtors.com/ibr_li...pe=residential)...we think we could do it as long as the foundation is in one piece and the sill hasn't rotted. A fairly intact roof with limited water damage to structural supports would be nice too.

There are some downsides to living that far out (15 minute commute becomes 45, we'd need a second car, etc) but the pluses...a yard, a stream, great big trees we could love, and a pretty friendly little community without the grime and violence of our current neighborhood (one of my RL AP friends lives a very short walk from this place, and she watches little ones so if I still need to work after dd2 arrive I'll have a mama I trust completely who could watch them)...so.

We go out tomorrow to kick the foundations and test drive the sill beams. So wish us luck!

thanks all... and I'll let you know what we find!

Be pretty! Be practical! Be Pagan! Visit Pagan Hearth & Home!
 mama to lady.gif(4/05), hearts.gif(6/07vbac), diaper.gif(8/09vbac), and babygirl.gif (9/11vbac)

#249 of 583 Old 01-12-2007, 09:27 PM

Good luck, Wombatclay! That is a tricky decision. Could you get an inspection?

I made bread too! It came out pretty well, but needed just a bit more salt. I really recommend the book No Need to Knead !

treehugger.gif  Mama of three daughters chicken3.gif
#250 of 583 Old 01-12-2007, 10:21 PM

i never get to play in this thread as i'd like, it gets too overwhelming too fast!

but i need help figuring out how i can celebrate imbolc this year. we'll be out of town for a wedding. in a hotel. away from gardens. sigh. i plan a walk in my favorite wooded place that day, but will miss blessing the garden with cream and planting something! i do have a special travel candle for the occasion, but what else can i do?

thanks for any ideas!
#251 of 583 Old 01-12-2007, 10:22 PM

If it passes the "view" test we'll get an inspection....they're actually required in my state (I always gasp when I see those tv shows with people who just buy a house with no inspection and then "discover" why the price was so low!) and with every house we've bought we've gotten two inspections by different firms. It's only a hundred dollars and it can mean a HUGE difference in terms of nasty surprises. The agent actually told us that this is a foreclosure, it's been on the market for almost a year (empty the whole time), and it's being sold "as is" with no negotiation. Sort of like a Saturn...you've got a price, yo've got a product, and that's it. Actually, he said he could probably get another 5-10k knocked off the price since the bank really wants to get rid of it.

Which makes me think my guess at flood damaged foundation and "about to crash" sill is pretty on the money. Which would mean not for us...but we'll see tomorrow.

All you bread makin' mamas...are you totally "au natural" or are you using a bread machine or mix master with kneading hook at all? I make bread, but I have to admit I usually let the mixer do most of the kneading, and many of our loaves (probaby three a week) wind up in the bread machine after we make and knead the dough (we don't use kits or anything, just let the bread machine finish things while we sleep so we wake to fresh bread). I'm in awe of free bakers!

mama to lady.gif(4/05), hearts.gif(6/07vbac), diaper.gif(8/09vbac), and babygirl.gif (9/11vbac)

#252 of 583 Old 01-12-2007, 10:25 PM

I usually make homemade pizza at least once every other week, sometimes once a week. I do all the kneading by hand (it's kind of meditative).

I haven't baked anything other than pizza, dinner rolls and sweet breads in a long time.
#253 of 583 Old 01-12-2007, 11:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by moosemommy View Post
ibut i need help figuring out how i can celebrate imbolc this year. we'll be out of town for a wedding. in a hotel. away from gardens. sigh. i plan a walk in my favorite wooded place that day, but will miss blessing the garden with cream and planting something! i do have a special travel candle for the occasion, but what else can i do?

thanks for any ideas!
Well, I'm in the same boat- or plane in my case. We will be traveling to PA on the first to see my parents and sisters. Personally, I will be having my personaly celebration and devotions on the day before we leave- the 31st. I don't think it will matter to be a bit early and it will be a great time for me to take a half an hour to slow down, be quiet and connect with the Earth.

Quote:
Originally Posted by wombatclay View Post
If it passes the "view" test we'll get an inspection....they're actually required in my state
Oh good. I too am frightened to think of anyone buying without an inspection- or two!

Quote:
Originally Posted by wombatclay
All you bread makin' mamas...are you totally "au natural" or are you using a bread machine or mix master with kneading hook at all?
I'm all natural, baby! No, really- I don't understand bread machines because making bread isn't that hard. O.k., not all of my bread is fantastic and I don't make it all the time. Really- check out the No Need to Knead book- it totally changed how I look at making bread!

#254 of 583 Old 01-12-2007, 11:33 PM

Oh I know it's not tough to make bread...I just love our bread machine because you can make the bread, plop it in the machine for it's final rise, and the timer on the bread machine starts the baking so that the bread "comes out of the oven" about 10 minutes before my alarm clock goes off. Totaly lazy I know, but waking to the smell of fresh bread and coffee (our coffee pot has a timer too) is soooo yummy. We don't buy bread at the store so we make 4-5 loaves a week minimum...but usually not anything fancy. Just whole wheat with some oatmeal thrown in.

Oh, and we make our own pizza crusts, but usually we use a "quickie" recipe DH came up with that doesn't include yeast...so it's more of a crispy crust. But it's good to go in about 5 minutes!

#255 of 583 Old 01-12-2007, 11:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mama_kass View Post
I made two loaves of whole wheat bread today and was not happy with the results. If you have a good recipe please share.
*just popping in (i've been lurking) to say this...

i made my whole wheat bread using http://hillbillyhousewife.com/familybread.htm that recipe, the "low yeast" version. just substitute all whole wheat flour. in place of the sugar you can use molasses and it comes out wonderfully (just use a little less water).

it's not hard, it just takes a little physical work (the kneading, which i love ) and a LOT of time... but the time is just it sitting on the counter. hands-on time is less than 45 minutes (total) -- for me, ymmv.
#256 of 583 Old 01-12-2007, 11:47 PM

Quote:

the bread "comes out of the oven" about 10 minutes before my alarm clock goes off. Totaly lazy I know, but waking to the smell of fresh bread and coffee (our coffee pot has a timer too) is soooo yummy. We don't buy bread at the store so we make 4-5 loaves a week minimum...but usually not anything fancy. Just whole wheat with some oatmeal thrown in.

Yum. Move over- I'm coming to your house!

#257 of 583 Old 01-13-2007, 12:22 AM

I use my dough hook and I love to knead. Kneading lets me thump and bump when needing to relieve negative energy.

I also use my bread machine on occasion.

Bread any way! Yummy!

I set up my first official altar (except candles...need more) today. I am making some items that will go in my garden this spring.

Dhjammin.gif, Me knit.gif, DD 10 REPlaySkateboard04HL.gif, DD 7 cat.gif, DD 4 joy.gif

We reading.gif, homeschool.gif, cold.gif, eat.gif, sleepytime.gif not in that order

#258 of 583 Old 01-13-2007, 12:31 AM

Maybe I am the only person who can't make a bread machine work. My ds and were following a recipe and were so excited to have homemade bread a couple of months ago. What a dud! The paddle got stuck. I smelled something burning and ds is like "what's that!". We check the bread and this burnt, flat, partially mixed paperweight falls on the counter. Both of our jaws dropped.

So anywho... I was feeling domestic yesterday and found a really easy whole wheat recipe in the Better Home and Gardens red and white checkered, 3 ring binder cook book. It was a little dense, but oh so tender and flavorful. I enjoy kneading the dough. It feels good.

And that damn machine is still on my counter. Arthur and I have not tried to use it again.

Wombatclay, I love the way the outside of the house l love the yellow and the trees. Good luck. Glad your dh is handy. I love the area where you live. I am in Western NY. My sister is in Elbridge and my dad used to live Union Springs. Not too far, right?

We are not and it has taken forever to get our house fixed up. Love that dry wall ceiling in my kitchen! I hate that I can't just win the lottery!
#259 of 583 Old 01-13-2007, 12:33 AM

Oh I make homemade pizza crust at least twice a month. It is so much better than the pizzaria. I put a little whole wheat pastry flour in the last batch and it was delicious!
#260 of 583 Old 01-13-2007, 01:06 AM

Aura_Kitten~ Thank you! I will try that bread recipe.

Wombatclay~ What Interlachen is this? Is it in Fl? I have a friend moving there next week. I LOVE, LOVE, LOVE that house! It has a lot of potential and I WILL light a candle for you! Yes, the mamas here have very strong powers. I have had excellent results when I have asked for help. MDC mamas give a lot of love.

Brenden and Igraine~ We make bread every week by hand, on occasion I make Mama Kass' pizza. It blows away Papa John's my family says.

I too, love to knead and think it is important for children as well. They love it!

All Mamas~ I love the Goddess Brigid. Please post more ideas to celebrate her day.
#261 of 583 Old 01-13-2007, 01:39 AM

Hi everyone! I've lurked on the pagan mom threads for awhile but never posted as I am fairly new to it all. I grew up in a pagan house hold- mom is pagan, dad druid, but my nana was always trying to drag me to church So, I am trying to get back to a meaningful existence and find what I truly believe, and it has lead me back here....Who woulda thunk it So while I have been rediscovering and lurking for the last little bit, I thought I would make myself known and say "hi"!

Laura WAHM to Mar 03/01/05 and Evie 05/14/08, partner to Craig
#262 of 583 Old 01-13-2007, 06:40 AM

Hi Lurable
I was raised without a lot of religion, which is kinda nice, but I have not talked to my family about my spiritual beliefs. I don't really want their imput : Dh is with me and thats all I need.
#263 of 583 Old 01-13-2007, 01:27 PM

Hello and welcome, Lurable! Gee, I think you are the first second generation Pagan I have ever met!

#264 of 583 Old 01-13-2007, 03:41 PM

For those who it applies to, how do you deal with strongly Christian friends?
I expect some of you are very happy being openly Pagan, and do not mind not having relationships with others who are going to negatively judge. My question is more about my situation now. One of my friends really gives me the impression that if I were to be open with my spirituality she would judge me. I do not want to loose her friendship. I just made a new bag for myself with a tree Goddess on it (Its Fab!) and I guess she's going to notice it sooner or later. For the most part, I am unconcerned with what people think of me. - but I have yet to become openly Pagan.
Any words of wisdom for me?
#265 of 583 Old 01-13-2007, 05:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Salvia View Post
Well, I'm in the same boat- or plane in my case. We will be traveling to PA on the first to see my parents and sisters. Personally, I will be having my personaly celebration and devotions on the day before we leave- the 31st. I don't think it will matter to be a bit early and it will be a great time for me to take a half an hour to slow down, be quiet and connect with the Earth.
yeah, we'll do our feast & all at home before we go, but i just know if i dont manage something special that day, it'll really irk me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mama_kass View Post
All Mamas~ I love the Goddess Brigid. Please post more ideas to celebrate her day.
yes! i'd love to hear how you all celebrate!
#266 of 583 Old 01-13-2007, 05:12 PM

Welcome Lurable!!!!

I am open about the different celebrations within the wheel of the year. My family knows we celebrate solstice, yule etc but I don't refer to them as pagan in anyway. Most of my friends know that we incorporate earth based religion but I don't think they associate that with being pagan. I figure if they wanted to know more they would ask. I don't hude anything but since I don't want to get into arguments with my mother, I don't bring up my beliefs. I would happily bring them up but I know my Mom and I would get an earfull, so why bother.

: Remind me to never try and clean the attic again. All it did was make me sneeze and it is still full of stuff. Oh well, at least I got the girls room cleaned.

#267 of 583 Old 01-13-2007, 06:36 PM

So....sandess and sorrow...I'm afraid the house is beyond hope. It's been empty for about two years now and this past year had really heavy rains (lots of flooding). At some point the stream next to the hosue flooded and about the rear third of the house is no longer on the foundation...in fact, the foundation is actually gone. So the rear of the house now sits about four feet above the water of the stream (the stream goes UNDER the house)!

Probably at the same time the foundation on the other side of the hosue cracked wide open and the water worked it's way up through the sill, which is totally rotted on that side. So one side is in the water and one side is wood with the texture of a wet sponge.

Ah well....the search continues!

#268 of 583 Old 01-13-2007, 07:48 PM

Quote:
So....sandess and sorrow...I'm afraid the house is beyond hope. It's been empty for about two years now and this past year had really heavy rains (lots of flooding). At some point the stream next to the hosue flooded and about the rear third of the house is no longer on the foundation...in fact, the foundation is actually gone. So the rear of the house now sits about four feet above the water of the stream (the stream goes UNDER the house)!

Ah well....the search continues!
YIKES! That was seriously deceptive photography then, you certainly couldn't tell from the pics! So it sounds like someone will have to basically buy the land with the intent of bulldozing and building new there! I'm sure the perfect house for you is out there just waiting though, so much success with the search.

Quote:
Originally Posted by saphire View Post
For those who it applies to, how do you deal with strongly Christian friends?
I expect some of you are very happy being openly Pagan, and do not mind not having relationships with others who are going to negatively judge. My question is more about my situation now. One of my friends really gives me the impression that if I were to be open with my spirituality she would judge me. I do not want to loose her friendship. I just made a new bag for myself with a tree Goddess on it (Its Fab!) and I guess she's going to notice it sooner or later. For the most part, I am unconcerned with what people think of me. - but I have yet to become openly Pagan.
Any words of wisdom for me?
I'm fairly openly pagan (my parents don't exactly know, but then they live on another continent so it doesn't really affect them I am not 'in your face' but I don't hide my paganism either, I sometimes wear a pentacle thats rather noticeable.. sometimes not. The best suggestion I can give you is just keep being who you always have been with her... if she starts coming out with negative comments (ala devil worshipping, satan .. the usual crapola) just look at her and say "how long have you known me? You should really know me better than that by now" I've had a few religious friends and the relaxed non defensive way I reacted with them when they noticed went over fairly well :

Lurable: Welcome to the tread! I'm fairly new here too but everyone has been lovely & welcoming I was raised southern baptist lol...nuff said I hope my children find more joy in the spirituality of their youth than I did mine.

Ok... so Connor (the almost 3yo) just went zipping thru.. he is running around the house with my black crushed velvet witchy hat that I got for Halloween a few years ago I can't bear to part with it so it has been dubbed the Harry potter hat (sorta like mcgonnagals hat) ...he looks just adorable : We just came in from watering our new herb seedlings..here's hoping these have a better fate than the last ones LOL. I called it my 'gothic herb garden' because the heat killed them and the skeletal remains stood in the pot for AGES before I returned them to the earth

#269 of 583 Old 01-13-2007, 07:56 PM

Quote:
YIKES! That was seriously deceptive photography then, you certainly couldn't tell from the pics!
The pics are very much "pre flood"...some of the trees in the picture (the two between the house and stream) are gone...just big pools where the roots used to be!

I think I'll include a home finding ritual in our Imbolc celebration.

#270 of 583 Old 01-13-2007, 08:41 PM

LOL just to get people in the door to look at the place obviously! Can't imagine what in the world they are thinking implying it could be loved back into usability...you'd all but rebuild basically. Good idea with the homefinding spell though!

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page