Lds Mamas/papa #37 - Page 20 - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#571 of 599 Old 02-02-2007, 05:46 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Finally caught up. Can't do much because I'velost my glasses this morning and need my glasses to find my glasses. I've been reading this about six inches from the screen. So I'm blind until NCD gets home (usually 2:30 on Fridays) and helps me look. Otherwise, I'd be off to do something constructive, like stare at my dishes, get overwhelmed, cry, and walk away.
#572 of 599 Old 02-02-2007, 05:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by marlygf View Post
By the way, just a fun thing for me. I haven't yelled at the kids in 2 weeks. I think I discovered what happened. we've started reading the scriptures at bedtime (dh figured we were already reading to them, we might as well add that book in) and I've started exercising 3 times a week. It's been so wonderful being able to talk things out with them and not feel like I have to spread fear through their body to listen to me (something I learned from my loving parents )
Yay, that is SO awesome!!!! I am so happy for you!

♥ blogger astrologer mom to three cool kiddos, and trying to figure out this divorce thing-- Blossom and Glow ♥

#573 of 599 Old 02-02-2007, 05:58 PM

Alisa says "Otherwise, I'd be off to do something constructive, like stare at my dishes, get overwhelmed, cry, and walk away."

I'm sorry but I got a good laugh from that mostly because it's so true!

I also do think it's a daily thing to think about how we're treating our kids. I know we all want the best but it's hard to always do the best. that's why it's good to be able to apoligize and teach each other how to get better. I also hate to see them yell at each other to solve their problems. It made me think harder about how I was acting.

Brisen, too bad he won't clean it up ds1 has also used the urinals but for some reason at home he is ok with sitting. I think I will keep it that way. I watched one of his friends go and it went all over! I mean he wasn't even looking, and talking at the same time. ugh!:

Marly
#574 of 599 Old 02-02-2007, 06:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by alisaterry View Post
Otherwise, I'd be off to do something constructive, like stare at my dishes, get overwhelmed, cry, and walk away.
Awww!

I know this was probably tongue-in-cheek, btu can I offer some pointers anyway? I've so been there!!!

Break the task down real small. First, straighten up around the sink so that the sinkful of dishes is the only problem area: first put away any food that is out on the counters. And small appliances that need ot be put away. Find stray dirty dishes and put them in the sink. Clean dishes go in the cupboard.

Second, straighten the sink. This is easier if you have two sides to your sink. You want to clear out one side of the sink-- no dishwashing involved! Just rinse off the dirtiest dishes, stack plates, bowls, cups etc, like with like. The stuff that doesn't fit place neatly beside the sink on the counter (or on top of the clothes washer if your kitchen is as dinky as mine! We have about 15 sq. inches of counter space, total!!!)

Now, if you get this far you will feel so much brighter, I promise. The kitchen will be relatively neat and you have a nice open spot to clean dishes in. Often, I have to go do something else at this point, and I come back to actually wash the dishes later.

Oh, and my two-year-old always "helps" me!! I don't let him help until I've straightened things up as per the above, and I make sure anything sharp is well out of his reach. He usually makes a big ol' mess with water everywhere.

Good luck with your dishes!

♥ blogger astrologer mom to three cool kiddos, and trying to figure out this divorce thing-- Blossom and Glow ♥

#575 of 599 Old 02-02-2007, 06:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brisen View Post
Katie -- I'm thinking of getting a bosch, how do you like yours?
I would definitely recommend it. We use the blender all the time (for shakes and blender pancakes). We use the mixer bowl mostly for making cookies and other totally-conventional-sugary treats :, but I used to use it to mix and knead bread. We also have the shredder attachments and bowl, and I'd like the food processor attachment. I've been looking at grain mills, and while mills like the Nutrimill give a finer flour, the Family Grain Mill can use the Bosch (or a Kitchen Aid) as the motor, AND it has a hand-crank in case of emergencies.

I think that Bosch is a good company with high-quality products. I got my Bosch in 2003, and nothing has broken yet. Wait, not true. The blender blades got stuck in the blender bowl and wouldn't come out for at least a year. The blender bowl finally broke at the base, and I was able to replace just that part for $20 or less.

As for Bosch vs. Kitchen-Aid, I can't comment. The mixer we had when I was growing up was my great-aunt's Bosch. It had olive green parts, so I assume it was sold in the 60's or 70's. Obviously it lasted well. My mom still has it but doesn't really use it. I have no experience with Kitchen Aid brand.
#576 of 599 Old 02-02-2007, 06:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LionTigerBear View Post
Awww!

I know this was probably tongue-in-cheek, btu can I offer some pointers anyway? I've so been there!!!

Break the task down real small. First, straighten up around the sink so that the sinkful of dishes is the only problem area: first put away any food that is out on the counters. And small appliances that need ot be put away. Find stray dirty dishes and put them in the sink. Clean dishes go in the cupboard.

Second, straighten the sink. This is easier if you have two sides to your sink. You want to clear out one side of the sink-- no dishwashing involved! Just rinse off the dirtiest dishes, stack plates, bowls, cups etc, like with like. The stuff that doesn't fit place neatly beside the sink on the counter (or on top of the clothes washer if your kitchen is as dinky as mine! We have about 15 sq. inches of counter space, total!!!)

Now, if you get this far you will feel so much brighter, I promise. The kitchen will be relatively neat and you have a nice open spot to clean dishes in. Often, I have to go do something else at this point, and I come back to actually wash the dishes later.

Oh, and my two-year-old always "helps" me!! I don't let him help until I've straightened things up as per the above, and I make sure anything sharp is well out of his reach. He usually makes a big ol' mess with water everywhere.

Good luck with your dishes!
Thanks! We found my glasses, so I'll put some Prince on the stereo and see what I can do. It's just I've been spoiled all my life with a dishwasher so I'm really both inexperienced AND lazy.
#577 of 599 Old 02-02-2007, 07:06 PM

Alisa, I'm happy you found your glasses

I love looking at all your pictures you all put in your sig's very cute families.

Marly
#578 of 599 Old 02-02-2007, 07:44 PM

Since we talked about Fast Sunday, I'll take the liberty to remind everyone that it is this week. If Super Bowl Sunday is a big food-oriented get-together in your family, then you'd better start early on Saturday
#579 of 599 Old 02-02-2007, 07:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by klg47 View Post
Since we talked about Fast Sunday, I'll take the liberty to remind everyone that it is this week. If Super Bowl Sunday is a big food-oriented get-together in your family, then you'd better start early on Saturday
We're not sports people - could care less about the Super Bowl - but what timing. Super Bowl and Fast Sunday. That oughta separate the wheat from the tares, if you know what I mean.

"A mind needs books as a sword needs a whetstone, if it is to keep its edge." - Tyrion Lannister

#580 of 599 Old 02-02-2007, 08:02 PM

Alisa, I love your blog. Those purses you made for Christmas are so cute.

Speaking of Christmas gifts, we decided it was too stressful for us. After last Christmas, we approached family members and let them know we are doing a no-gift Christmas next year. We are requesting we not be gifted to, and we will not gift to anyone else either. It did not go over very well but we stuck to our guns! Oh, but we made sure they knew we are still accepting birthday gifts and other gifts! And we are going to be focusing on gifting on their birthdays to make up for it.

So we are cloth diapering!!! Yay yay go us!!! I have both boys in cloth now. I asked DS1 if it was comfier and he had a big smile on when he said, "yes." very decidedly! I am still using 2-4 disposables a day because I didn't get quite enough diapers, but that's fine with me. This is such an improvement! I'm so pleased with myself. And grateful to HF.

#581 of 599 Old 02-02-2007, 08:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NewCrunchyDaddy View Post
That oughta separate the wheat from the tares, if you know what I mean.
:

#582 of 599 Old 02-02-2007, 08:12 PM

Quote:
We're not sports people - could care less about the Super Bowl - but what timing. Super Bowl and Fast Sunday. That oughta separate the wheat from the tares, if you know what I mean.
We haven't had a TV since some time in 2004, and dh hasn't watched sports since then (obviously). But now that we've moved back to Utah, we often go to my parents' on Sundays, and my dad always watches sports. So we've seen a few games in the last few months. Also, dh is from Chicago, and is a long-time Bears fan, so he is very excited for the Super Bowl. We will be tares this week
#583 of 599 Old 02-02-2007, 08:15 PM

Quote:
We are requesting we not be gifted to, and we will not gift to anyone else either. It did not go over very well but we stuck to our guns!
Are your families members of the Church? There was a story about a no-gift year in the December(?) Friend. The family only had homemade gifts for a whole year. If your families are members, you could refer them to that story. You could maybe even accept home-made gifts such as quilts and other things you really need. It's hard to keep everyone straight, but are you the ones moving to the 1-bedroom apartment? If so, your families need no other reason than that, lol!
#584 of 599 Old 02-02-2007, 08:17 PM

Oh my gosh, I will NEVER catch up. Just wanted to post that dh was offfered a job today!!!!!!!!!!!! As soon as they schedule the drug test and he passes he can start!

Serenity LDS mommy to 4 rambunctious kidlets
#585 of 599 Old 02-02-2007, 08:50 PM

Okay, if you all think I've been online too much today, here's my defense: I feel SO low-energy. (I still think I'm preggers . . . ) And I've managed to do most of my chores and all of my BOM listening for today too. So there!

I wanted to share my favorite modest clothing sites. I'm sure you've all heard of Shade, but although I used to like their stuff, I can't nurse in those extra-long shirts unless they add a nursing opening or something.

So for a mom who is often either pregnant or nursing or both, here are my best picks:

BoobTM brand nursing shirts (www.milkface.com) They have the most comfortable, easy, and discreet nursing openings, they stretch to accomodate a pregnant belly (wore mine up through nine months and still wearing it right this moment) and some styles come in extra long lengths. They are quite expensive, but they are so soft and sturdy. They say you can't put them in a dryer but that's hogwash. The truth is that they shrink slightly in the dryer (buy one size larger than you otherwise would for this reason) and then they never shrink again. I have two Boob nursing shirts and they are almost all I wear. If I had more, I would wear only this style. Honest. For church I just throw a nice sweater over it and I'm good to go.

I haven't tried this, but Glamourmom also just came out with a nursing tank that is extra-long, like a Shade undershirt would be but with easy nursing access.

I love these two (Jewish-run) sites for modest skirts: Funky Frum and Modest Clothing Here's why: Funky Frum sells skirts with thick elastic foldover waistbands. (Not all of them, but several of them.) These can sit below your belly when you're pregnant, and still fit you postpartum and even after you get your waist back (if you do!) Modest Clothing.com sells more bohemian-style skirts with elastic-and-drawstring waists that stretch a lot, one of them fits up to size 18. So I think that would fit most women, pregnant or not. The second site also sells a super-cute maternity jumper that is made to work for maternity or not-- it cinches up at the empire waistline when you are not large-bellied. You can wear a cute Boob nursing shirt under it and then it's breastfeeding friendly too-- just undo one button strap.

As far as pants go, I get the maternity kind from Old Navy that fit under the belly, and they fit me for the first year postpartum too, albeit a bit more loosely. And maternity pants are so much more comfy!!! *happy sigh* But I feel more comfortable in a skirt.

Oh, and I also love the bellyhugger from Milkface. They are inexpensive, they cover a preggo or postpartum belly or make up for shirts that are otherwise just too short, and they cover your underthings so that you aren't flashing your Gs when you nurse in a non-nursing shirt.

Anyone else got recommendations?

#586 of 599 Old 02-02-2007, 08:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by klg47 View Post
Are your families members of the Church? There was a story about a no-gift year in the December(?) Friend. The family only had homemade gifts for a whole year. If your families are members, you could refer them to that story. You could maybe even accept home-made gifts such as quilts and other things you really need. It's hard to keep everyone straight, but are you the ones moving to the 1-bedroom apartment? If so, your families need no other reason than that, lol!
No, our family are not members. Also, we don't even want homemade gifts. I think these can sometimes be the worst because then you feel guilty to get rid of it, yk?

#587 of 599 Old 02-02-2007, 09:06 PM

Quote:
No, our family are not members. Also, we don't even want homemade gifts. I think these can sometimes be the worst because then you feel guilty to get rid of it, yk?
Yeah, good point. Although I will never let dh live down giving away the handmade blankets my aunt and cousin made for us. We definitely need them - one of the reasons I haven't been proactive about kicking the kids out of my bed is because we don't have extra blankets, lol. Of course a quick trip to the DI/thrift store would fix that, so it's not a very good excuse.
#588 of 599 Old 02-02-2007, 09:13 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by seren View Post
Oh my gosh, I will NEVER catch up. Just wanted to post that dh was offfered a job today!!!!!!!!!!!! As soon as they schedule the drug test and he passes he can start!
congrats!

We're not football people at all. Last Sunday, though, the bishop was announcing that something was going to be coming up on tv (it may have been a documentary about the church or something similar on PBS) and encouraged us to watch it. Someone in the congregation called out that the time he gave was during church. So he said OK, then what you want to do is get your VCR or DVD player, set the timer....

LTB, I've been on a lot today too... I keep getting up and doing a little work, but that worsens my nausea and heartburn and backache, so then I end up back here. Or M wants to nurse, so I sit here while she nurses.

Mom to DS(14), DS(12), DD(9), DS(6), DS (4), and DS(2)  

***4***8****13***17***21****26***heartbeat.gif****35****40

#589 of 599 Old 02-02-2007, 10:16 PM

I've seen the super bowl once or twice, but that was just for the commercials. last year, they weren't very good. :

Seren, congrats!! That's so exciting. Is it something he'll really like?

oh yea and because I'm lazy, could someone who knows charting look at my chart. I don't know why it's so weird looking and why the ovulation day was changed. I should go get the tcoyf from the library and read up again, I just haven't done it yet.
http://www.fertilityfriend.com/home/23ea9

Marly
#590 of 599 Old 02-02-2007, 10:47 PM

My goodness everyone! I can't believe how much I've missed in a day!

Re: Super Bowl
Our Stake Conference is this weekend- the Sunday session is from 10-12. My dh said they did that on purpose so that people could go to stake conference, then go home and watch the superbowl. My dh is a huge sports fan- you can be sure that if he's here, we'll be watching it. It will be a quiet afternoon though, because all the people we usually get together aren't available.

Re: Charter Schools
We've been making the rounds with this lately too. Our neighborhood school is terribly overcrowded- there are 12 kindergarten classes this year, and will be more next year. There are several charter schools relatively close by, but getting into one is luck of the draw. I really don't think that homeschooling is an option for us- I don't think I could do it, and my dd is such an extrovert. We would drive each other crazy! We're keeping our fingers crossed that one of the charter schools pan out, otherwise, we'll probably test her into a gifted and talented magnet school for first grade, and have her do kindergarten in our neighborhood school.

Re: Yelling
DH and I are both yellers. I've been really impatient lately, and I need to do better about realizing that it's me with the raging pregnancy hormones, and the 10,000 projects that are stressing me out, and just let my kids be kids. Not yelling is so hard- Marly, I'm impressed!

Brisen, I keep thinking about you. I really hope everything goes well with this pregnancy.

Marly, I have no idea what's up with your chart. But I do know that ff changes my crosshairs at least 5 times (no joke!) the cycle I got pregnant. And the cycle I got pg, I ovulated way way later than I ever had before- I think it was day 22 or 23? The only thing that looks odd on your chart is that you haven't recorded any ewcm or other fertile mucus. That's one of the biggest clues for me, because my temp shifts weren't always well defined. Have you tried opks?

LTB, I'm cossing my fingers for you. And Seren, congrats on the new job. I hope your dh is happy.

There! I think I'm about as caught up as I'm going to be!

Violin teaching, doula-ing Mom to Abby, (8) Ashlynn, (6) : and Max (11/13/08) Diagnosed with Metopic Craniosynostosis. First surgery 5/1/09, Second surgery March 2010.
#591 of 599 Old 02-02-2007, 11:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by seren View Post

Hurray!!!!
#592 of 599 Old 02-02-2007, 11:38 PM

And the conversation marches on and on...
Congrats seren! Hope all goes well with the new job!
Re: yelling. This is a big one for me as it's a fairly new thing. I was pretty easy going, even with 2 under 2, and then we got a dog. I was not ready for a third child. For the most part, the dog bore the brunt of it, but it's now spilling over into the kids too I'm so tempted to find the dog yet another new home, but he's already sort of a rescue case. I need to take the suggestions given to heart: scriptures and exercise. If nothing else, I think a daily routine is so important in stress related anger. So thanks for reinforcing what I was already thinking. Now if we can just form an online support group for internet adicts...
#593 of 599 Old 02-02-2007, 11:50 PM

:
#594 of 599 Old 02-02-2007, 11:56 PM

WOW you guys were busy this afternoon/ evening LOL.

i took a nap from 2 till 5p. my babe was sleeping, and the older two watched TV in my bed while i slept.

it was SOOO nice!

we have a loft bed ( wooden) from ikea, for the older two girls. i like it because i am taller than it, so if someone DID fall from the top, they will fall less than 5ft. we have a mattress on the floor, underneath the loft and my almost 4 yr old sleeps there. the 5.5 yr old is on top. we like it a lot. NO JUMPING or running on the top bunk is allowed at all though. my 5.5 yr old is very small, but i still not sold on the stability of the bed with jumping LOL.

we bought a table from target for our dining room. our dining room table broke in our last move and we made the mistake of buying an expensive restoration hardware table for our eat in kitchen ( the kids have written on it, painted on it, used playdog, etc. it's majorly stained!) so, we went with a under 200.00 target table so that we wouldn't be angry with ourselves for another damaged expensive table. it's nice looking and very very very heavy. solidly built and goes great in our dining room. i posted pics once of my dining room here. IMO yo'd never guess it was only like 179.00 LOL.

i have heard that the same furniture from restoration hardware is sold through target too though.

i usually don't have a hard time being patient and calm with my kids. i don't find it hard to talk kindly to them even when they are making me madder than anything. my friends joke about how i lose my temper and i'm SOOO mean LOL. my oldest will tell me that i'm the meanest mommy. i always ask her why she thinks that. what have i done that was so mean? and it's usually something like i didn't let her have junk food, or watch a show on TV LOL. i really encourage my children to treat each other with kindness too. i want them to be treated the way i would want to be treated, or the way i would want others to treat them. i cannot stand it when my DH yells at them, so i make a point of trying really hard not to raise my voice with them. i am always asking my DH to treat them with more respect. he is constantly working on it.

that said, we do not let the kids get away with murder or anything even close to that. we have rules in our house and they are to be followed, and the kids know that. it's a learning process and we are constantly working on being the best parents we can. i do expect certain things out of my kids, but i also know that they are young, and ARE children and therefore are not always perfect. and i need to respect that too. i'm not always perfect and therefore i can't expect them to be either. we really try to push the Chose the Right, and what would Jesus do type situations with our oldest DD. she has a little impulse control issue LOL.
#595 of 599 Old 02-03-2007, 12:06 AM

Quote:
That oughta separate the wheat from the tares, if you know what I mean.
My Mom has always said that when Christ comes again it will either be on Super Bowl Sunday or the Saturday Morning Conference Session.

*How meta is it for me to quote myself?! That's weird!*

"A mind needs books as a sword needs a whetstone, if it is to keep its edge." - Tyrion Lannister

#596 of 599 Old 02-03-2007, 12:07 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Hello all I just made it over to this board I am not even going to try and read this whole thread sorry.

I am 26 will be 27 in april my husband and I have been married 6 years on the 24th of this month We have a 19 month old little girl and I am 23 weeks along with number 2.
We cloth diaper most of the time although since I got preggo it has been less with toddler poos
Co sleep,extended breastfeeding, no vaxing, attachment parenting,delayed solids and will be home schooling when the time comes.
I joined the church when I was 12 husband also joined around that age but we did not know each other then.
We try to be active but travel alot so we have gotten way out of the habit of going to church and now it is at 9am oh my I am not a morning person LOL.

I look forward to getting to know all of you I am so glad to find a lds thread.

Amanda
#597 of 599 Old 02-03-2007, 12:08 AM

Should we start a new thread? We've gone thirty pages in less than a month. (This one was started on 1/11 )

#598 of 599 Old 02-03-2007, 12:12 AM

Welcome aboard, Amanda. Glad to see you found us.
I second the motion for a new thread. And on that note, I am definitely heading to bed. I hope I don't have withdrawals. I've become addicted to this thread.
#599 of 599 Old 02-03-2007, 12:33 AM

Okay, we have a new thread: http://www.mothering.com/discussions....php?p=7197064

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page