Lds Mamas/papa #37 - Page 3 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 01-13-2007, 02:05 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
That's funny you just posted at the same time as me.. but beat me by a couple seconds. So my post actually showed up second as soon as I clicked it.

Eternal Companion to DH , Homeschooling mama to DS 05/04 , DS 11/05 , DD 12/07 , DS 07/10 and one on the way: June 2015!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-13-2007, 02:11 AM

only if you agree to clean it for me LOL.

we have three full baths and two half baths. i don't care for baths and kitchens. i want someone to come clean them every week for me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DucetteMama21842 View Post
Holy guacamole Danaalex!!!!!!!!!!!! Can I have your house? Or at least your Martha Stewart abilities??
Old 01-13-2007, 02:13 AM

LOL, Alisa!! That living room scene looks sooooooo familiar. In fact, the state of my front room right now, after having let DD and DS rampage through unimpeded, would make for a very good mirror to your pic.

And I definitely relate to eating cereal out of tupperware dishes. Although I've never done the wooden spoon thing. I might whine and complain, but I'll hand-wash a single spoon to go with my cereal, rofl!!

And welcome, Quarteralien!!

SAHM to Melinda (Oct '03), Jacob (Aug '05),  Alex (Apr '08), and baby.gif Malcolm (Sept 29, '11)

Old 01-13-2007, 02:16 AM

Wow, Dana. I'm speechless. That is normal? I'm ashamed!

SAHM to Melinda (Oct '03), Jacob (Aug '05),  Alex (Apr '08), and baby.gif Malcolm (Sept 29, '11)

Old 01-13-2007, 02:21 AM

Hello all

I haven't posted here for a while, but I saw the new thread and thought I should...

DH is awesome around the house- we both go to school and work, so we share house work as well. He feels like if he doesn't help, then he is not a good patriarch. Also, I hurt my back pretty badly a few weeks ago, and he has been johnny-on-the-spot about taking up my slack... I am lucky

I also wanted to mention the ex-mo-mo thing: I checked out the thread, and it just made me really sad! They kept chatting about how the church holds women back- I joined this church b/c I felt like it was progressive! DH and I read the pro. of the fam. when we were first married, and agreed that it said I should not put off kids for school. Also, Hinkley is pretty vocal about women getting as much education as possible... I'm hearing that I should breed while still in school, and obviously God will find a way for this to work since he's asking me to do both!

So, here I am... 11 semesters away from my Master's, and TTC...

Have any of you read "Eve and the Choice Made in Eden?" It is awesome!!! DH and I cried like tiny girls while we were reading it... amazing!

Oh, and I guess a re-intro is in order: I am 24, married just shy of 3 years )to the perfect guy... we're both 16 yr old boys on the inside- does that make us gay?...) I am finishing an undergrad in Psych/Women's studies, and will soon thereafter begin a Master's in Midwifery. I used to compete in Judo, and I was raised in a locker room... so, if I ever offend you with my crude humor, forgive me... I should have been born a boy

~Valarie~

~Mom to Sy (3), #2 Due Jan 2014, GF to Pork, Psych grad student, Judoka~

stillheart.gif  ribboncesarean.gif  stillheart.gif  novaxnocirc.gif  stillheart.gif  winner.jpg stillheart.gif femalesling.GIF stillheart.gif  vbac.gif stillheart.gif  bellycast.gif  stillheart.gif

Old 01-13-2007, 02:35 AM - Thread Starter

Welcome back Valarie! Good luck TTC!!!!!!!!!

Eternal Companion to DH , Homeschooling mama to DS 05/04 , DS 11/05 , DD 12/07 , DS 07/10 and one on the way: June 2015!
Old 01-13-2007, 02:40 AM

Quote:
Welcome back Valarie! Good luck TTC!!!!!!!!!
Thanks... I never saw myself as a breeder, but I guess I could be a Mommy- if my Mom could, without a maternal bone in her body, then so can I!!! :

~Valarie~

stillheart.gif  ribboncesarean.gif  stillheart.gif  novaxnocirc.gif  stillheart.gif  winner.jpg stillheart.gif femalesling.GIF stillheart.gif  vbac.gif stillheart.gif  bellycast.gif  stillheart.gif

Old 01-13-2007, 02:43 AM - Thread Starter

You can do it. I believe in you! :

Old 01-13-2007, 03:04 AM

You know, having a dig. camera is soooooooooo nice!! Mine broke the other day!

So, I had to use the 35mm to take some pics of Joseph, and then I had refigure out how to scan them into the computer, which I think did a horrible job... :

But click on my name below, and you will see our Joseph, and the rest of his family.
Old 01-13-2007, 03:15 AM - Thread Starter

Adorable! And you look so radiant so soon after! I can't believe it. Maybe it just naturally comes to you after seven..

Old 01-13-2007, 04:08 AM - Thread Starter

Aha.. only Valerie stays up as late as me.. WHAHAHA!

Old 01-13-2007, 04:18 AM

Quote:
Aha.. only Valerie stays up as late as me.. WHAHAHA!
No, Alisa and I are still up.

"A mind needs books as a sword needs a whetstone, if it is to keep its edge." - Tyrion Lannister

Old 01-13-2007, 04:22 AM

I'm here-- I haven't been posting in these LDS mamas (and now I see papa! very cool) threads in a long time, but here I am. I'm Andrea, four kids, the oldest is 5, Central Illinois, homebirthed 2 of them, homeschool, ect ect... Pretty much a life-long member (my parents joined when I was young,) but never lived in Utah. Glad to be here with you all. i read along with the last thread about feeling like a weirdo at church- that's how I feel. I had a big revelation about it in November that I will have to share later. it's late now and I need to go to bed, but I just wanted to add my support to all of you lovely ladies.

Love, Andrea
Old 01-13-2007, 04:32 AM

Putting on my crunchy granola crumbs to remind ya'll of the UA:

#6- Do not post to invite MDC members to other boards for adversarial purposes or post inflammatory information about MDC discussions at other boards, or about communities and discussions elsewhere, regardless of whether or not you link to that discussion or community. This is to maintain and respect the integrity of our own and other communities.

Much crunchy MDC love to you all!
Old 01-13-2007, 04:34 AM

BTW, NCD- check out my siggy for your sword wielding smiley!
Old 01-13-2007, 04:57 AM - Thread Starter

Okay.....

Old 01-13-2007, 05:06 AM

I should not be up this late... I have a busy day tomorrow: early morning meeting to learn about adopting from China (our roommate is planning to adopt after she graduates), then I work until evening, and then I have serious homework- spanish, anatomy & physiology, sociology of gender, modern Japan, and some psych to round it all out... :

yeah... well see if I make it to church Sunday!

On a tangental note- my psych proff happens to also be my bishop... interesting, to say the least...

~Valarie~

Old 01-13-2007, 05:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RiceMomma View Post

#6- Do not post to invite MDC members to other boards for adversarial purposes or post inflammatory information about MDC discussions at other boards, or about communities and discussions elsewhere, regardless of whether or not you link to that discussion or community. This is to maintain and respect the integrity of our own and other communities.

Why was this mentioned?

~Valarie~

Old 01-13-2007, 05:12 AM

Quote:
BTW, NCD- check out my siggy for your sword wielding smiley!
Yeah ... I don't know what I was thinkin' ... I was thinkin' like this - A Beowulf-style Smiley.

"A mind needs books as a sword needs a whetstone, if it is to keep its edge." - Tyrion Lannister

Old 01-13-2007, 05:38 AM

NCD- don't let my son see that one! He'll go nuts.

(For those of you that don't understand what my other post was about- MCD has a rule against posting about or discussing other message boards. I thought there were posts about an ex-mo discussion about another message board? I must be confused- which isn't surprising. )

Peace.
Old 01-13-2007, 05:54 AM

heidi - your baby is so beautiful! your family as well! congrats on your little guy!
is anyone else still up
Old 01-13-2007, 06:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Isaacs_mom View Post
heidi - your baby is so beautiful! your family as well! congrats on your little guy!
is anyone else still up
Me... but I am soon to attempt slumber... wish me luck! Sleep always seems to escape me when DH is snoring like a lumberjack...

~Valarie~

Old 01-13-2007, 06:09 AM

good luck valarie ... i know how you feel my dh sometimes snores and i can not get to sleep
Old 01-13-2007, 06:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NewCrunchyDaddy View Post
Yeah ... I don't know what I was thinkin' ... I was thinkin' like this - A Beowulf-style Smiley.
Quote:
NCD- don't let my son see that one! He'll go nuts.
I actually sent it on to Ms. Mom for approval along with a Groucho Marx Smiley and a Tree-Hugging/Environmental Smiley

Old 01-13-2007, 06:12 AM

those are cool ncd
Old 01-13-2007, 07:46 AM

Quote:

You should be a mod.
Old 01-13-2007, 02:00 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
I'll start with an intro... I'm a sah and homeschooling mom to 3 kids, and we're hoping #4 will hurry up and join us. We live in Toronto right now; I'm not a city girl, but we're working on the whole moving to the country thing, or at least finding a place with a back yard (which won't happen while dh is working in the middle of the city).

We're kind of medium crunchy -- my oldest is fully vaxed, my middle is partly vaxed, and the youngest not at all. We did cloth while we lived in an actual house with our own laundry facilities (even hung them out to dry inside in the winter!), but now that we use a laundry room, I've switched to sposies. We try to eat along the lines of a "traditional" diet (like in the traditional foods forum here), but I have come to rely far too much on convenience foods in the last year, and dh loves meals with canned cream of mushroom soup incorporated. We extended breastfeed -- my 5 yo nursed for the last time on his birthday; my 2 yo is still going strong. We do family bed, but our older two have their own beds and start the night there (but they are welcome to join us if they wake in the night; only our oldest ever does). 2 yo is still in our bed, or on her sidecar thingy next to our bed. We're taking a leadership/Thomas Jefferson Education approach to homeschooling (it's like a mix of classical education and unschooling ), but we have been more at the unschooling end of the spectrum in the last year or so. Last Feb, dh got the job he has now, and we had to move (it was 2 hrs from where we lived at the time), and then I started this cycle of getting pg and miscarrying that I'm hoping to get out of soon. So, I've been kind of lax with... almost everything.

I teach the Valiant girls; dh teaches Seminary. We're lucky to live a few minutes away from the chapel (a first for us) so dh doesn't have a long drive to the chapel early in the morning. He can get there in just over a minute if there is no traffic and the traffic light cooperates. None of his kids speak English as a first language, so that makes things interesting; dh is learning some Chinese.

Quote:
I just really wish some other LDS people would join in our fun. I always feel like the only night owl.
I was up at 2 am, but having much more fun than posting on mdc is.

Quote:
Originally Posted by seren View Post
I am 5 days late, I had on test have a positive line, but only after the alloted time. Not evensure when. I have taken three more tests, all negative. Still no AF. With my last two it took forever to get a positive test. So I feel all in limbo. I might go to the dr today for a blood test. It's so annoying to not know.
Oooh, keep us updated! I hate limbo, too.

Quote:
Originally Posted by magstphil View Post
:

Olive is our girl's name pick and Romulus our boy's although Romulus isn't in stone. truth be told no name for us ever is until baby gets here and we *know* they're a such-and-such. ..... so if she arives and is, infact, a she but isn't an 'Olive' she'll be nameless for a while.
I like Romulus. We're the same with not deciding on names until we "meet" the babe -- D was nameless for three days; S, for 10 days; M, for 2 weeks.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Laurel View Post
I have also been wanting to brag to somebody that my baby is still nursing!
Yay, Laurel!

Quote:
Originally Posted by danaalex View Post
i have a question for those of you who are SAHMs with LITTLE kids or kids that are at home for a reason (ie. homeschooled). how much does your husband help out at home? how organized/ clean is your house?
but then today he gets upset that the stuff isn't put away yet. i told him that i do the best i can around here, and if he is expecting perfection he's not going to get it from me.
My kids are homeschooled. We're pretty traditional -- at least, I feel like we are, but dh actually helps out a lot more than is "traditional," I suppose. I'm in charge of housekeeping, but that doesn't mean I can't delegate. Our house is about medium, I suppose, on the clean/organized scale. I'm not a natural at it and didn't learn it growing up. Our place is about 750 sq ft, so not a lot of space to have to clean, but we moved from a bigger place and there is a lot of clutter to keep tamed.

I used to feel the same as you are expressing about your dh -- like he complained when things weren't perfect. After a few years of back and forth about it, I realized that he's not complaining about my failure to keep things clean. He's just expressing what he thinks is wrong because he wants to solve it. He would even say "I'm not saying it's your fault," but as soon as he said anything about the house I would get defensive and stop really listening. Now I realize that if he comes home and groans or whatever, he's as much saying "I wish I had the energy to clean up" as anything else. If that makes sense. And I'm more direct with him about what I need. It doesn't help that I have my way of doing things and would usually rather leave the job undone than have someone else come in and be doing it differently than I do or asking me what to do next.

Quote:
Originally Posted by LionTigerBear View Post

We are politically independent and a bit on the conservative side, but we believe all the major political parties are corrupt. This is promising, as it bodes well for the end of times.

Quote:
I used to have this mindest, luckily, dh never has. He's such a good guy.
I don't think dhs who agree with their wives to a more traditional division of labour are bad guys. Of course, is the dw is feeling resentful and overworked, something might need to change. But I think the basic premise can work, with flexibility. Sometimes spouses just have to work out the kinks first.

Quote:
I forgot to say my dh takes care fo all of the bills, checkbook, etc. The church counsels for spouses to be equal partners in the area of finances and we are, but to us, it makes much better sense for just one person to take care of the everyday chore of balancing the budget and paying bills.
This is what we do too, and it works very well for us. I don't think it means you are unequal partners, any more than for you and dh to be equal partners in parenting, he would have to stay home with the kids half of the time. Dh is very good at keeping things organized and is good with money. I have access to all of the accounts, and very little accountability meaning he doens't go over everything I spend and ask what it was for because he thinks I'm spending too much. I just have my card and I spend the money unless dh says we need to cut back to cover a bill or something before payday. We discuss large purchases.

Mom to DS(14), DS(12), DD(9), DS(6), DS (4), and DS(2)  

***4***8****13***17***21****26***heartbeat.gif****35****40

Old 01-13-2007, 02:32 PM - Thread Starter

Oh yes Laurel!!!!!!!!!! I forgot to congratulate you on your amazingness!!!!!! I am so impressed because it is not very often a mom that adopts will even try to breastfeed- so I admire you so much and I hope to do the same when I adopt. You are SUPERWOMAN for going this long!!!!!!!!!!!!!! (it's the closest I could find to a Supermom)

So here is a round of applause for your accomplishment!

Old 01-13-2007, 02:52 PM

Hey everyone,
In my zombie like state I didn't even notice a new thread had been started.

Laural, I am so excited that you are still nursing. It must be a chore at times but I think it is so cool that you are still doing it. I get frustrated enough at times with just regular nursing.

Dana, your house is amazing. I love the colors and the furnature. I can't wait until dh and I buy our own house and can paint the walls.

As for dh helping with house work. Well this has been a bit of a sore spot for us lately because he doesn't. He used to be really good about helping around the house but since he's been working so much and going to school full time he stopped and even on a break from both he still doesn't help. He is on the other hand fantastic with the kids. He is a better parent than me most of the time and I am glad for his help there.

My baby is a week old now, 9 days actually. I'm a bit conflicted right now. This pregnancy was so difficult being on bedrest and just being able to carry this baby to term. Then having such a hard labor and now the lack of sleep, I keep thinking I never want to do this again. But I still feel like there is another spirit out there for our family. We aren't doing anything permanant as of now but dh is more than happy to be done.

Also we are no longer being allowed to seperate from the military early. We aren't sure of all the reasons but were told they made a mistake. We think it has to do with DH's training, because its so expensive to train people on his job. We are really dissapointed as both of us just feel really done with the military lifestyle but there isn't much we can do. I really struggled with it because we prayed and felt so right about getting out and then it was all taken back. Praying about it later we got the answer that He can't control other people's actions.

Oh and I'm Erin, Married to my husband for 8 years and have 3 boys.
Old 01-13-2007, 02:55 PM

Congrats Laurel!!!!

Dana, your home is lovely, but personally, I could not deal with so much space. My dream home is a teeny little craftsman bungalow. I like small, cozy rooms, and smaller sized furniture.

But then, I am a petite 5'2", perhaps I am just gravitating towards things that are scaled to my size? I never thought of it that way before!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brisen View Post
I don't think dhs who agree with their wives to a more traditional division of labour are bad guys. Of course, is the dw is feeling resentful and overworked, something might need to change. But I think the basic premise can work, with flexibility. Sometimes spouses just have to work out the kinks first.
You're right Brisen, what I meant was that my husband is very sensitive and generous, more than would be expected I guess. Not that other guys are NOT good guys, just appreciating mine. All men have their weaknesses and their strong points.

BTW, My oldest is only two, but we are planning on unschooling too. I have the book "Thomas Jefferson Education" but haven't read it all through yet.

A question: Do any of you ever feel there is another child there waiting for you?

I believe that my two-month-old son had a twin at first. I felt it so strongly. I also had a little girl I lost at a 14-week miscarriage. (I knew she was a girl through personal revelation.) I still feel that those two children are waiting for me. But I fee lthe boy more strongly. Sometimes I'll be standing here holding my baby and my todderl is in the room too, and I'll think, "oh no, I forgot the baby on the bed!" Meaning the "other" baby. But there isn't another baby. And OFTEN we'll all be together as a family, and yet, I just know that we aren't all there. Sometimes I'll even look around to see who is missing before I realize what I'm doing. I have to remind myself that we only have two children. Just two.

I feel like we have four. Gosh, now I'm tearing up.

Before I was even married I used to have a feeling I would get a group of three boys. Possibly more, but there was definitely a group of three. I think that these three boys must have been good friends in the premortal existence and it is really important for them to all be together. I think the last one left might be hanging around here more just because he wants to be with his brothers. I mean, the girl was miscarried first but I don't feel her hanging around at all, when I feel like one is missing, it's the other boy. I don't know, I could be wrong about some of this . . . . But I don't feel like I am.

Well, thanks for listening and not laughing anyway.

♥ blogger astrologer mom to three cool kiddos, and trying to figure out this divorce thing-- Blossom and Glow ♥

User Tag List