~*~ February Pagan Circle ~*~ - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 290 Old 02-01-2007, 10:43 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I will try to keep up with the thread better. Life has been happening and has not been too easy.

Grab your cuppa and sit around the fire.

Emily SAHM to four unschoolers Olivia (9), Brian (7), Jack (6), and Liam (5)
#2 of 290 Old 02-01-2007, 10:51 AM

Hi Emily- Hope things get better for you very soon.

If my car starts, we are going to A.C. Moore to get some materials to make crafts (for tomorrow). I'd like to make Brigid's Cross and ds will make a crown.
It's been so long since I've made a Brigid's cross...I think I'll have to find directions in one of my books. It's going to snow here tomorrow...so I'm guessing that I won't be bringing ds to school. Again. I have a feeling that the school is going to give me grief about it.
Well, I need to make another cup of tea.
Ciao for now!
#3 of 290 Old 02-01-2007, 11:17 AM

suba dub dubbing...

Energy needed ladies...my dad just had a stroke and he's only 52 (on top of the heart condition and the year long manic/depression). Now they're thinking that some of the things they had told us were side effects of the depression meds may have been "warning signs" or "mini strokes" that could have helped prevent the stroke. Argh.

But soon it's Imbolc and a new start!

Be pretty! Be practical! Be Pagan! Visit Pagan Hearth & Home!
 mama to lady.gif(4/05), hearts.gif(6/07vbac), diaper.gif(8/09vbac), and babygirl.gif (9/11vbac)

#4 of 290 Old 02-01-2007, 11:24 AM

Yikes, Wombat! Sending healing energy.
#5 of 290 Old 02-01-2007, 11:28 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Sorry about your dad Wombat I have just the candle to light for you.

I'll say hello now, but probably get lost as the thread goes - I just don't have the time to keep up unfortunately. I've recently moved to a new city and there is a local public group here that has public circles for all the sabbats so I am going to check out their circle on Friday I hope.
The coven I had been a part of for 3 years ended last week so I am a bit sad about that, but its a new beginning. I can still work with my HP and HPS to get my 3rd degree in the Georgian trad so I am pleased about that.

BC Mum of three ('05, '07, '11 and #4 coming May '14!)    jumpers.gif  belly.gif 

#6 of 290 Old 02-01-2007, 11:30 AM

Happy February mamas! I'm getting in my greeting early because in about a day this thread will be about a hundred pages long & I won't be able to keep up.

I'm awaiting one of my goats, Cerridwen, to give birth. She's due right now. I think she'll choose Imbolc ~ and it's a full moon too so a perfect day for her.

Greenlee's Forest *intentional jewelry* a secret Journal locket!
Me My Blog Mama to 7 babes & four spirit babies
#7 of 290 Old 02-01-2007, 11:43 AM

Wombat, I'm so sorry about your father.

Our car's in the shop today OTJ, so I may be stranded along with you. I'm already bored!!

secular classical-ish mama to an incredible 5 year old DS and an amazing 6 year old DD.
#8 of 290 Old 02-01-2007, 11:47 AM - Thread Starter

Ode~Thank you... hugs (even virtual!) mean a lot right now.

wombatclay~Oh wow, I am so sorry about your dad. Your family will be in my thoughts.

I am stranded today as well. Dh's car broke down so he had to take mine. I didn't have much planned out for today anyway! OTJ we got the snow last night that is coming your way! A bit south of me got 2.5 feet! We just got 4 inches

Emily SAHM to four unschoolers Olivia (9), Brian (7), Jack (6), and Liam (5)
#9 of 290 Old 02-01-2007, 12:10 PM

Emmama- sending some positive energy

Clay-

Ode- glad to see you stopped by!

Mama in the forest- I have never seen a goat give birth. I hope she has an easy time of it!

I am on a strange high today...I just got news that the center I worked at received the grant money to build a new center and I would have a new position and more money if I go back. happy for the news but very conflicted right now.

Dhjammin.gif, Me knit.gif, DD 10 REPlaySkateboard04HL.gif, DD 7 cat.gif, DD 4 joy.gif

We reading.gif, homeschool.gif, cold.gif, eat.gif, sleepytime.gif not in that order

#10 of 290 Old 02-01-2007, 01:47 PM

It's Febary! It's the day before Imbolc!!! And it's snowing!!!!!!

I feel for you wombat. My dad has been fighting his way through his own health problems and being as he is hardly says a word unless something is *really* going wrong. In his case the recent round has been due to the doctors not catching things when they should have. : I won't mention the trouble he's having trying to get workman's comp to allow the treatments he's been needing for two years now!

But it is a new month, an new full moon, and a new start right?
#11 of 290 Old 02-01-2007, 03:34 PM

wombat.

emmama

Maybe I will post here this month instead of lurk. We are planning a quiet Imbolic. Mostly just a family dinner with (I hope) potato soup and sourdough oat bread.
#12 of 290 Old 02-01-2007, 04:24 PM

So sorry to hear about your Dad Wombat! Wishes for all the best healing and good stuff coming his way and yours.

It's almost Imbolc...wow! We're probably having cheese cake and we're making homemade butter. Mmmm.

"The true measure of a man is how he treats a man who can do him absolutely no good."
peace.gif  Embrace the learning that is happening within the things that are actually happening!    
#13 of 290 Old 02-01-2007, 04:39 PM

Mmmm...cheesecake.
#14 of 290 Old 02-01-2007, 04:49 PM

I'm going to Unchool's house for Imbolc!!

More cheesecake tales, please!!

secular classical-ish mama to an incredible 5 year old DS and an amazing 6 year old DD.
#15 of 290 Old 02-01-2007, 05:05 PM

I didn't end up going to the store. Guess we'll just wing it tomorrow. I need to find a wonderful pic/painting of Brigid online. I haven't found one that I really like yet.
#16 of 290 Old 02-01-2007, 05:05 PM

seems like everybody is in need of that Imbolc-cleansing energy lately, eh?? last week i got crushed with some very heavy news. Suffice it to say that on top of my tricky-yet-peaceful pending divorce and my new DP being stuck an ocean away until I can move...now we might be faced with legal drama because of one person's horrible lies.

I am doing mini banishing rituals in my head near-daily, trying to get rid of the negative energy associated with all this. They say even one positive thought has more power than 1000 negative hateful ones, right....

So yeah. Trying to stay focused on life and love and reality instead of fear is my big challenge right now.

Started back up homeschooling my son this week--that's going just great It's Oak Meadow curriculum, which supposedly a lot of Pagans gravitate to...??

I am really wishing I had more IRL Pagan friends cause I want to have a blessingway ceremony! I think I'll have to settle for just getting my belly henna'ed--maybe on Ostara...

Many s to everyone here who has issues and trials--sending healing vibes your way!!

Now if only I can keep up with this thread, gah....!

Freethinking Earth-mama of five. uc.jpg

#17 of 290 Old 02-01-2007, 06:31 PM

OK, mamas. A challenge: Help me tailor an Imbolc celebration to our crazy lives right now!

Health: I'm getting over mastitis and now have a wicked head cold. DS and DD are majorly teething, so we're all sleep deprived.

Family: Found out last Sunday that my 14-year-old SIL is 4 months pregnant. DH's grandmother died the next day. My great-aunt just went back to the hospital in poor health. And my aunt is fighting a rare form of cancer in her facial bones.

Work: I recently started a new WAHM business and things are picking up, so I'm trying to find my balance between work and children. DH is on the cusp of launching an online business he's been working on for more than 2 years and he's both excited and scared sh!tless.

Logistics: DH works all day tomorrow, then we're driving down to pick him up and go straight to my parents' house for my grandmother's birthday. Early morning and the car ride after picking up dh are the only times we'll all be together.

So we've got a lot going on. Lots of healing energy to send out. A fair amount to pull in. New adventures coming up. Family to welcome and family to bid farewell to. Thank the powers-that-be for a full moon!

Ideas? :
#18 of 290 Old 02-01-2007, 07:14 PM

Hmmm, that's a lot to be going on. I'm familiar with that issue LOL. 2007 has started wonky for my family.

How about:

* a seed to plant for inviting the new and to recognize the coming of spring

*something to burn to bid farewell to the old (weather, winter, and energies you no longer want)

*an offering to show your thanks for all that you do have and all that you believe is possible (we're doing food for the birds, for example)

*A simple but super decadent meal or dessert you can all enjoy. (We're doing cheescake and potato soup. Hot cocoa with cream in it? Baked potatoes with a bunch of heavenly toppings?)

Good luck!

"The true measure of a man is how he treats a man who can do him absolutely no good."
peace.gif  Embrace the learning that is happening within the things that are actually happening!    
#19 of 290 Old 02-01-2007, 07:23 PM

Thanks all...and I have candles going in turn for all our intentions and healing. It seems to have been a really tough winter for so many of us in this group! But Imbolc is here, new beginnings....new growth...fresh water and snow melt and wells of new hopes. I'm planning on making candles and cleansing everything I can get my hands (or mind) on.

It's hard seeing my dad...he was a university professor and public speaker but for the last two or so years he hasn't been able to work because of the depression and related health problems. And now he can't even make it from the start of a sentence to the end of the sentence...the words just get lost somewhere and he is left flustered and confused. It's heartbreaking.

I think we'll make a big pot of creamy potato soup with a side of early greens and some soda bread with currants and raisins, light a fire in the fire pot on the deck (in the snow!) to burn some of the yule branches we kept, and also write down the "dark things" of the winter/year to burn. Then we'll make candles (I'm thinking about really basic pillar candles with herbs, but I might try making a few "dip" candles too, though I always lose patience with it before they're much thicker than a birthday candle) and plant our "bean runes" (beans with a rune drawn on the side with a marker...the "energy" of the rune grows along with the bean).

Could be fun! Hugs and healing to everyone in need...

mama to lady.gif(4/05), hearts.gif(6/07vbac), diaper.gif(8/09vbac), and babygirl.gif (9/11vbac)

#20 of 290 Old 02-01-2007, 08:25 PM

We are reading one of the stories from Circle Round, gathering snow and placing a blessing on it, we are giving an offerring to the birds and going to see Tom Chapin in concert.

Love and Light to all who need it!!!

We may make hats...depends on time.

I'd love some cheesecake! We aren't cooking anything special since we will be gone in the evening.

My DD(5) watched bed Knobs and Broomsticks and we discussed pretend witches and real witches but I don't think I did a good job. Do you think watching movies that show witches flying to be problematic?

Dhjammin.gif, Me knit.gif, DD 10 REPlaySkateboard04HL.gif, DD 7 cat.gif, DD 4 joy.gif

We reading.gif, homeschool.gif, cold.gif, eat.gif, sleepytime.gif not in that order

#21 of 290 Old 02-01-2007, 09:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OdeToJoy View Post
Hi Emily- Hope things get better for you very soon.
Good to see ya still here OTJ

Quote:
Originally Posted by wombatclay View Post
suba dub dubbing...

Energy needed ladies...my dad just had a stroke and he's only 52 (on top of the heart condition and the year long manic/depression). Now they're thinking that some of the things they had told us were side effects of the depression meds may have been "warning signs" or "mini strokes" that could have helped prevent the stroke. Argh.

But soon it's Imbolc and a new start!
I hope your fathers stroke wasn't severe and that he recovers well and he & the docs get a handle on the situation to prevent more problems.

Happy Imbolc to you northerners! Had a spazz day here yesterday so I may do a little something tonight... Might bake some bread since it's technically lammas here, feeling the autumn energy at the moment too! It's overcast & grey..threatening to storm which would be great. I love the cleansed feeling that everything (including me has after a good storm!

Pagan  lovin'  WOW playing mum to 5 boys in the wonderful land of Oz ... FOR THE HORDE! hehehe
#22 of 290 Old 02-01-2007, 09:49 PM

Oh, wombat, I'm so sorry. Healing energies flying north to you both !!!

It's pouring rain here, so our full moon is obscured, but maybe tomorrow night her milky visage will appear!

I am toying with the idea of making breastmilk yogurt for the wee one for Imbolc. There was a pretty good thread on it a while back, I think...

I've been in the new house for over a month now, and still haven't set up my altar, so I think that will be on my Imbolc list, too!
#23 of 290 Old 02-01-2007, 10:36 PM

Brendon, I don't see anything wrong with flying witches. You can either segue that into a discussion of mediation and the astral plane or have a discussion about what witches really are.

I finally joined a Goddess community today. I'm studying with Shekinah Mountainwater and some of her priestesses.

My kids are sick STILL. We're going to the doctor tomorrow as I'm starting to get scared this is morphing into pneumonia or a serious sinus infection. DH swears their lungs are still clear but the coughing is getting uglier and the fever is not budging.

Wombat, I love the bean runes!! Neat idea!!

#24 of 290 Old 02-01-2007, 11:34 PM

Quote:
I'm studying with Shekinah Mountainwater and some of her priestesses.
Sweet! That is soooo neat. I remember reading a lot of her stuff once upon a time...

The bean rune idea came from (i think) Celebrating the Great Mother. I suppose I could go check, but I'm pretty sure that's where I read it. I ties in with a bigger craft...you make a set of bean runes on one holiday, then plant a few of them at Imbolc to bring in that energy. But we didn't do the full set so we're just going to make/plant the ones we want.

And I'm going to really stress those healing and happy runes!

#25 of 290 Old 02-01-2007, 11:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by UnschoolnMa View Post
Hmmm, that's a lot to be going on. I'm familiar with that issue LOL. 2007 has started wonky for my family.

How about:

* a seed to plant for inviting the new and to recognize the coming of spring

*something to burn to bid farewell to the old (weather, winter, and energies you no longer want)

*an offering to show your thanks for all that you do have and all that you believe is possible (we're doing food for the birds, for example)

*A simple but super decadent meal or dessert you can all enjoy. (We're doing cheescake and potato soup. Hot cocoa with cream in it? Baked potatoes with a bunch of heavenly toppings?)

Good luck!
Oh, I like this! We could totally work that into our day without getting stressed over trying to work it into our day!

Thanks for the ideas!!
#26 of 290 Old 02-02-2007, 04:08 AM

to everyone who is going through difficult times right now. I'm sorry that people are going through such difficulty and pain.

I guess I am clearly the Pagan newbie here because everyone is talking about Imbolc being tomorrow, and here I thought it was today and had some lovely ceremonies already. I blessed my gardens with a vial of my milk and juice from last year's pears, and then meditated in the cold for a little while. I spent most of the day running errands, but most of them were related to the Green Living Challenge in the MHM forum, so I was feeling very earthy and environmental the whole time, LOL. For supper, I tried to focus on grains, dairy, and cold-season garden plants, so we had rice, cole slaw, potato salad, cottage cheese, and a spring salad with blue cheese and sprouts. I lit the fireplace and my alter candles, including a new friendship candle I just bought today, wrote down my resolutions, and burned them in the fire. Then, I had a nice talk and cuddle session with DH.

I had never sprouted seeds to eat before, just for gardening, and it was so cool. I kept trying to show DH the little root hairs, but he just rolled his eyes, LOL. I absolutely love the process of seed germination--I even wrote my masters thesis on it!--but I still get giddy every time a seed sprouts for me. It is so amazing to think that the seed sits there dormant, seemingly unalive, waiting for the right environmental conditions to bring it alive. Ok, enough horticultural ramblings...

The one thing I did forget to do was put out a seed offering, so I guess I can still do that tomorrow. I have had a bowl of my favorite seeds sitting on my altar for a couple weeks, and I'll set it out for the birds and squirrels.

I was in the most amazing mood all day. It is been cloudy for quite a while here, so I was a bit out of touch with the current moon phase, but after the good mood I was in all day, I wasn't at all surprised to see the full moon peek out as I was driving home. I just love a full moon. I was also surprisingly, um, amorous today, LOL. I swear every person I have ever been attracted to walked through my brain today.

I do have a question for the candle experts here. I want to replace the five main candles on my altar from paraffin to something natural and soot-free, either soy or beeswax. I'm looking for 3" wide pillars, in heights of about 9", 7", 5", 4", and 3". I want them to be cream-colored and either unscented or a very light scent like the honey scent of beeswax. The candle I bought today is soy, but it is strongly scented ("Concord Grape!"), and I don't want to have five different scented candles going at once. I did find some nice handmade ones from a home-based business on eBay, but I was wondering if anyone had a favorite source of their own? I don't supposed anyone here makes them and would like to trade?
#27 of 290 Old 02-02-2007, 10:40 AM

Jennisee- i was wondering the same thing? If you find an online, wahm bus or else let me know. I am interested in either beeswax or soy.

Given the weather today, yesterday would have been a better day for Imbolic.

#28 of 290 Old 02-02-2007, 12:02 PM

(((wombat)))

My mom also need healing vibes... she's in the hospital right now, her kidneys again... they started dialysis... and they are working on getting some nutrients and vits and minerals into her because she's very weak and not able to eat.

Didn't start my sprout in time so went to the store to buy some yesterday...

I'm alone with the kids for teh week-end so I'm going with the flow and try not to stress over planned things... if it gets done, fine, if it doesn't, fine too - my intents are still the same

Valérie   
#29 of 290 Old 02-02-2007, 01:15 PM

Hi everyone!

We're taking DD to the hospital in an hour - we're meeting her pediatrician there. She's been fighting this virus (?) for over a week now and is not improving so we're going to do some IV fluids probably. I'll probably be there the night with her. This is hard! My kid is a firecracker!! Seeing her so weak is scaring the pants off me. Taking her to the hospital is scaring the pants off DH.

Valerie, your mother is in my heart today too.

And if anyone else has more energy to send to this group, Shekinah is going into the hospital Monday for cancer surgery. It doesn't sound so good for her.

What a bunch of sickies we are!!

#30 of 290 Old 02-02-2007, 01:24 PM

Valerie and Jenn- *hugs*

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page