LDS Mamas/Papas #38 - Page 18 - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#511 of 524 Old 02-27-2007, 02:56 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
"My Dad does it because, working nights (12 hour shifts) at a hospital in Berkeley, California,"
is he in the Berkeley ward by chance?

Berkeley mom of 3 and President of Tender Cargo Baby Gear
and The Nurture Center Store and Resource Center 3399 Mt Diablo Bl Lafayette CA 888-998-BABY
#512 of 524 Old 02-27-2007, 03:06 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by cchrissyy View Post
"My Dad does it because, working nights (12 hour shifts) at a hospital in Berkeley, California,"
is he in the Berkeley ward by chance?
No. My parents live in Castro Valley. They're in the Castro Valley 2nd Ward in the San Leandro Stake. (That's where I'm from originally, Castro Valley, though I identify more with Seattle (where DW and I lived after getting married) and that's where I tell people I'm from, usually.)

Though, if things go as I hope they do ( DW and DS and I may be in a Berkeley Ward within the next year or two. I am almost done with my BA here at UVSC and have decided that I want to go on to get my Ph.D. and one of the places I am going to be applying to is UC Berkeley, so ... who knows.

"A mind needs books as a sword needs a whetstone, if it is to keep its edge." - Tyrion Lannister

#513 of 524 Old 02-27-2007, 10:05 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Hey, I knew it was Simpsons without googling, can I get some house points? :

Sorry you guys are feeling so cruddy. Food poisoning can take different times to affect different people. But it's supposed to happen within 48 hours of consuming the contaminated food.

Seren, I'm glad you're feeling better. I was just thinking the other day that it sounds like it's been one thing after the other for you for a while.

And playing devil's advocate wrt magstphil's response to quarteralien's scripture -- the thing is, they aren't telling her not to breastfeed. They aren't asking her to deny her child food, just to do it elsewhere. I know nurslings can be awfully insistent, but I doubt that one would starve in the time it takes to put on a blanket, or move to the mother's lounge. Not that I think she should have to do those things; I'm just saying I can see how those who are asking her to cover up/move don't see it as telling her not to feed her baby, because they aren't.

Dh copied the audio scriptures from the church website, but since the cd player in our car doesn't play mp3s, he had to convert it to cd format. It took a looooooong time (he was doing all of the standard works, not just the Book of Mormon). In the end, between what he paid for the cds to burn it on and how much time he spent at the computer, and buying cases to hold the cds in once they were burned, he wasn't sure if it was worth it to do it himself. Of course, if you have an ipod or mp3 player or whatever, that would be a different situation... just for us, in our situation, it didn't save much money and used up a lot of time.

Now that I have an mp3 player, I usually have a few conference talks on it.

Mom to DS(14), DS(12), DD(9), DS(6), DS (4), and DS(2)  

***4***8****13***17***21****26***heartbeat.gif****35****40

#514 of 524 Old 02-27-2007, 11:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by milk4two View Post
It's made even better by the fact that it's my sweet grandfather (Lael Woodbury) narrating.
nak
we're sort of related then. beau woodbury is my uncle by marriage.
#515 of 524 Old 02-27-2007, 12:02 PM

I think I'm noticing behavioural changes in ds i the last week. His speech pathologist commented on it yesterday, too. I'm thinking it's from his med. *sigh* I don't think I can handle any extra hyperactivity.

Serenity LDS mommy to 4 rambunctious kidlets
#516 of 524 Old 02-27-2007, 12:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brisen View Post
Seren, I'm glad you're feeling better. I was just thinking the other day that it sounds like it's been one thing after the other for you for a while.

Thanks! We have been hit pretty hard, but things are looking up. I exercised again this morning and I will go do some more cleaning. It's nice have energy. I haven't felt any for so very long!

#517 of 524 Old 02-27-2007, 04:10 PM - Thread Starter

Church Program Helps Victims of Domestic Violence

Quote:
The statistics are startling. According to the U.S. Department of Justice, there are 960,000 incidents of domestic violence each year. Another survey of American families found 50 percent of the men who frequently assaulted their wives also abused their children. And the list goes on and on.

No one is immune to the social epidemic of domestic violence so The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints has established LDS Family Services, a private, nonprofit organization, to help individuals and families.

Fred Riley, commissioner of LDS Family Services and himself a psychologist, recently served on the Department of Justice domestic violence task force that included representatives from over 20 religious faiths.

“The task force focused on how religions can be a part of dealing more effectively with domestic violence. We are all struggling with how to do a better job,” said Riley. “My experience is that the Church has listened and has put some really good things in place to help both its leaders and members.”

Family Services uses a holistic approach to help victims of abuse. Trained therapists work with a victim’s Church leader to provide emotional and spiritual counseling. The Church also stands by to help with any other physical necessities a victim might need.

"A mind needs books as a sword needs a whetstone, if it is to keep its edge." - Tyrion Lannister

#518 of 524 Old 02-27-2007, 09:53 PM

You left out the very next line, and it was excellent.

Quote:
Riley said: “If a woman were to call us and say, ‘I’m being abused; I need some help,’ our response to her would be, ‘When can you come in?’ And we wouldn’t charge her a thing.”
#519 of 524 Old 02-27-2007, 11:19 PM

i still can't get over this! a family who my family has been close to all my life just bought all our temple stuff for our first time.

Maggie, blissfully married mama of 5 little ladies on my own little path. homeschool.gif gd.gifRainbow.gif
#520 of 524 Old 02-27-2007, 11:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by magstphil View Post
i still can't get over this! a family who my family has been close to all my life just bought all our temple stuff for our first time.
:
#521 of 524 Old 02-27-2007, 11:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by magstphil View Post
Oh that is wonderul! I'm so happy for you guys!

#522 of 524 Old 02-28-2007, 01:26 AM

That's great Maggie!!

Still can't figure out where the money has gone! I only paid bills! And just to let you all know...I haven't missed a tithing yet this year! I've paid it all!! That is our goal for this year.

And Joseph has been asleep for 1 hr. I need to go to bed. I just got done watching Law & Order:SVU. That is my favorite show. But then again...it's the only TV show I watch.

AND I did all my visiting teaching this month! I have been so bad lately! :
#523 of 524 Old 02-28-2007, 04:07 AM - Thread Starter

New Thread: http://www.mothering.com/discussions....php?p=7424612

We did 27 pages and 523 posts in less than a month , so I thought it time to start a new thread. Have at it.

#524 of 524 Old 02-28-2007, 12:07 PM

Ldsmomma7 I love your sigie

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page