LDS Mamas/Papas #38 - Page 3 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#61 of 524 Old 02-05-2007, 02:30 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by magstphil View Post
on the inside of our wedding rings DH has engraved 'There is a light...' and i have '...and it never goes out.' which is the chorus to the song.
Awww, that is SO sweet . . . :

♥ blogger astrologer mom to three cool kiddos, and trying to figure out this divorce thing-- Blossom and Glow ♥

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#62 of 524 Old 02-05-2007, 02:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bekka View Post
I'm almost 34 (almost ancient for this group: ) and I have 4 kids,
I'll be 34 in May and also have 4 kids. I think perhaps this group isn't as young as one may think.
#63 of 524 Old 02-05-2007, 02:38 PM

My favorite hymn is "A Poor Wayfareing Man of Grief" at least I think that's what it's called At my reception I had "Man Eater" played. My brothers thought that would be funny. Especially because I really didn't date much

I think it's funny how you all are talking about nylons. I don't wear them. I just can't stand them. I worked for the church and would wear knee highs even if people could see them. I just don't like wearing them. i have been wearing tights lately but that's just because it's been so cold! I usually just wear my skirt and call it good.

Well, today we seem to be having a heat wave so I won't be here as much It's already 46!! Wow, we should pull out our shorts

Marly
#64 of 524 Old 02-05-2007, 03:43 PM

Already breaking my new week's resolution to spend less time on the internet...
My favorite hymn is Called to Serve. I've loved it since primary, when we sang it for the program one year, and I thought how cool it would be to march into the chapel singing it. We didn't really have a wedding song. There was a celtic group playing at our reception, but they didn't play anything we knew well. "Our song" is Enjoy the Silence by Depeche Mode.

Nylons are a perpetual problem. If I wear a shorter skirt, they invariably get runs in them from kids crawling over them. I had a pair of thigh highs that I wore for about 10 years, they were so durable. But they are currently MIA and I haven't looked to see if I can replace them. I wouldn't be surprised if they are hard to find now. They were sort of in style 10 years ago, or right about the time Clueless came out. I used to wear mine with a skirt just short enough to show skin. : Not anymore! These days I just go full nylons and keep replacing them. Most of the time it's too cold to have short socks or no socks.
#65 of 524 Old 02-05-2007, 05:03 PM

I used to be really critical and annoyed by testimonies. People hardly ever do it "right"--within the guidelines the apostles have set. I've been able to change my attitude about it, though. I've gradually come to really feel a strong sense of love for the people who have the courage to get up there and share what is in their hearts. I have bronchitis and I probably shouldn't have gone to church, but I thought I'd be okay and I was miserable. Somebody had their baby blessed and almost all of the testimonies were from the family and they were long and annoying. One guy was up there forever and he was so emotional and long winded. I think the combination of not knowing the people and being sick made it harder for me to tolerate.

I've only fasted a few times since I've been married because I've been nursing or pregnant for all but about 6 months of the 9.5 years. We always pay our fast offering as if I was fasting. I've heard to try to base it on the cost of 2 nice meals instead of like bread and butter or something. We base it on what it costs to take our family to a nice restaurant. ( Something we rarely get to do) We love paying fast offerings and tithing because we know that it brings miracles into our lives. I'm sure everybody figures it out for themselves in their own way.

My favorite song is hard to think of cause I hardly ever listen to anything but Raffi! We totally love Raffi, though. I love Come thou Fount of Every Blessing. My family sings the 8 part version written by Mack Wilberg. It is so amazing! I also love My Sheperd Will Supply My Need that Motab sings. It has brought me a lot of peace this year. My all-time favorite hymn is Be Still My Soul. We don't have a wedding song. We just had romantic classics playing at our reception. Both of my girls were born to the soundtrack of Sense and Sensibility. I also really love the Little Women soundtrack.

Yay! I'm so excited. Due around October 27.

I'm Sarah I'm 28. My two boys are 8 and 6 and my 2 girls are 4 and 2. We live in Utah county. We homeschool, homebirth, and use cloth diapers.
#66 of 524 Old 02-05-2007, 05:24 PM

Quote:
What's your favorite song? Your favorite hymn? Your wedding song?
Hmm. I have so many favorite songs, but the first one that pops into my head is "More Than Words" (by..Extreme? is it?) I actually heard it in the grocery store on Saturday, it was so nice

My favorite hymn is How Great Thou Art. When I was at my last year of girl's camp, as a youth leader, I had the most awful group of girls to be in charge of...at least, they were awful for my personality type. I was sooooo stressed out and upset and angry by the end of the week that I just HAD to escape, so myself and my friend who was feeling the same way, and her friend visiting from out of state, we all took off and skipped (gasp) the end-of-camp testimony meeting and went to the river instead. We found ourselves singing hymns and talking about God's beautiful creations which were just so abundant in that location. I felt the spirit so strongly there, and it was so refreshing to get away from the stress and anger. It was one of the few times in my life that I really "meditated" and found such peace. Long story short, my dad was in the stake presidency and visiting for the end of camp, and they discovered that we were missing and thought we had been kidnapped. A huge search was put out until someone finally found us and dragged us sheepishly back to camp. We had our own little ward testimony meeting, full of tears that we weren't really hurt after all, and afterwords we requested special permission to all go out to the fields and look at the stars before bedtime. It was hesitantly given to us, after much begging, and so we went out and laid under the stars, and sang How Great Thou Art. I choked up especially on the part that goes "I see the stars...I hear the rolling thunder...thy power throughout the universe displayed...Then sings my soul, my Savior, God to thee...How great thou art..." And it was like I really was saying those words to God Himself. I was so grateful for the earth and its beauty, that God created those things for us to enjoy. And every time I sing it, I again feel so grateful and full of the Spirit.

Wedding song: Didn't have one. But if I were to pick a song that is kind of "the" song for DH and I, it would be Garth Brook's "To Make you Feel My Love". I basically fell for him, dancing to that song with him at a college (Ricks) dance. Yes, *during* that song. And just a month or so ago, when we had that song playing on our stereo, I found DH crying in the kitchen, because it was touching him so much! And I think I've seen DH cry maybe 3 times since I've known him total

SAHM to Melinda (Oct '03), Jacob (Aug '05),  Alex (Apr '08), and baby.gif Malcolm (Sept 29, '11)

#67 of 524 Old 02-05-2007, 06:20 PM

Sarah, congrats on the pregnancy! there sure are a lot of those going around

Marly
#68 of 524 Old 02-05-2007, 06:24 PM

Favorite songs:

Hymn: O My Father and How Great Thou Art
Primary Song: Love is Spoken Here and about 6 others
Country Song: She's in Love with the Boy (we call this Katie and Tommy)
semi-Contemporary: Blue Savannah by Erasure (I'm from "the desert")
Wedding: Caribbean Blue (long story)
Engagement: Right Here Waiting (2 year engagement ...)
Classical: Too many to mention, but I like anything by Bizet and I got to play the Intermezzo from Carmen on flute while dh played on clarinet. The oboist was a grizzled chain-smoker with 4 grandchildren, so that wasn't so romantic, but the other part was Also like Finlandia and learning to like violin stuff

Ongoing romantic classics: Unchained melody and anything by Eric Carmen (okay, so laugh already!)

Okay, that was long! I love music and I've tried counting. I think I know thousands of songs.
#69 of 524 Old 02-05-2007, 07:19 PM

Quote:
My all-time favorite hymn is Be Still My Soul. We don't have a wedding song. We just had romantic classics playing at our reception. Both of my girls were born to the soundtrack of Sense and Sensibility. I also really love the Little Women soundtrack.
Be Still My Soul has got to be my favorite too. SO BEAUTIFUL. I also love Come Let Us Anew. I heard the MoTab sing it, and fell in love with it.

I didn't know that Little Women and Sense and Sensibility even had soundtracks! I want to hear them now.

Congrats, momnloveit!

LTB, I'm waiting to find out your news!
#70 of 524 Old 02-05-2007, 07:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by danaalex View Post
my skirts aren't really long enough to successfully pull off knee highs LOL. they are long, below the knees, but i would worry about the flashing of skin while sitting or walking. i guess i can try it though.

and yeah, i'm trying to figure out what to pay for fast offering if i am eatting but staying away from the computer on fast sundays.
Oh, I forgot to comment on your post re: ms and pantyhose. Good thing I served a mission in the Philippines. We actually were not supposed to wear hose b/c of increased risk for yeast infection/bladder infection! Best rule ever. I'm not also one who necessarily looks very crunchy so lest you think that (and it's fine for those who do) but I just forgo hose most days even in the winter. There are spray on nylons for when I am very white (right about now) you can buy at the drug store or WalMart: and that's what I've been using. There is just no way that I can put on nylons when I am morning sick.

Also re: fast offering. You just do what you can do. You are in a unique position being the only member right now between you and your dh. We had our ward conference 2 weeks ago and the stake pres. told a story of someone having recommended to their ward to pay 1% of your annual income. Now that is not by any means official doctrine, that was just his challenge to them. We had just upped our fast offering by doubling it but it's not close to 1% yet. We did have some very immediate temporal blessings I believe due to that increase so we're going to pray about it and look at doing 1% now. Our stake apparently is 50k in arears which is understandable. Our last ward which split had/has so many needs as well as many others. This new ward that we're in happens to have a lot of members who are pretty financially stable so I think that challenge was specifically to us as well, although anyone who ups their fast offering will see blessings. But as I told dh, we need to do it b/c it's the right thing to do, not b/c we expect to see blessings (that's a nice benefit though from experience).
#71 of 524 Old 02-05-2007, 08:42 PM

Congrats, Sarah!

My favorite hymn is If You Could Hie to Kolob.
#72 of 524 Old 02-05-2007, 09:55 PM

I'm learning to sew really long skirts. I like them way down to my ankles without huge slits, and they are hard to find affordably! So, I've found some cute material, and starting to make them myself. I'm okay with knee-highs, but also refuse hose! lol
#73 of 524 Old 02-05-2007, 10:32 PM

Congrats Sarah!
My fave song is any Rascal Flats right now Our Song :come what may Hymn,I am a Child of God
#74 of 524 Old 02-05-2007, 11:17 PM

thans kristen! good advice.

apparently in our ward there is like no need. at least that is what i've been told by members of the relief society presidency. no clue if it is true or not.

we live in the wealthiest county per capita in the entire country. the medium income here is like 98,000. and a large portion of the ward members have to make TONS of money. some of them live in absolutely huge and amazing homes. i know there are members like me, who are the only member in their house, and they are stay at home moms,etc. and then i know there are families that are working really hard just to make ends meet. BUT, you can't live in our ward and be broke ( unless YOU put yourself into debt) and there is nothing like gov't housing or anything. it's actually VERY interesting living out here, i think.

i mean kids grow up seeing the exact same homes as their own, and bigger. my kids haven't really met that many children in town and the surrounding towns, but i wonder what they will see and believe when they start making friends and experiencing this area for themselves. part of me doesn't want to be here when that happens. as much as i love it here, i don't think it's the real world, at all.

sorry LOL. random tangent. just thinking outloud i guess
#75 of 524 Old 02-06-2007, 12:40 AM - Thread Starter

"Our" Song is "I Want to Spend My Lifetime Loving You" by Marc Anthony and Tina Arena (the love song from The Mask of Zorro)

My favorite hymn is "Lead Kindly Light"

"A mind needs books as a sword needs a whetstone, if it is to keep its edge." - Tyrion Lannister

#76 of 524 Old 02-06-2007, 01:15 AM - Thread Starter

Wonderful

"Will Pope Benedict Become a Mormon After He Dies?"

What a wonderful way to introduce the sacred and beautiful doctrine of baptisms for the dead to millions of people ... :

"A mind needs books as a sword needs a whetstone, if it is to keep its edge." - Tyrion Lannister

#77 of 524 Old 02-06-2007, 01:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NewCrunchyDaddy View Post
Wonderful

What a wonderful way to introduce the sacred and beautiful doctrine of baptisms for the dead to millions of people ... :
Who in their right mind submits the name of Mickey Mouse? Morons.
#78 of 524 Old 02-06-2007, 02:06 AM

Favorite Hymn: I Stand All Amazed, and any hymn sung by the MoTab, especially Faith in Every Footstep. Absolutely fav, and Come, Come Ye Saints.

"Our" song: Don't have one. But we both like 80's music.

Nylons: Not pantyhose...NYLONS. I wear them almost every Sunday including the Sunday before I had Joseph, with my heels. I love wearing heels. Also wore my black skirt this past Sunday that I bought before getting pregnant that I bought after I lost like 25 lbs on South Beach. I was soooooooooooo excited!! I am starting South Beach tomorrow (I had to really eat tons of carbs today to get myself motivated!). The nylons have to be control top though...got to get everything flat!

Fast Offerings: Used to pay about $30 a month, now I pay nothing because for a while I had nothing extra to spare. Maybe I will start again this month since DH is making more $$ now.

To the sister, maybe Laurel (?) who had their daughter blessed on Sunday: I am glad it was a good day for you. Joseph started crying (what's new?) towards the end, but not loud. I could hear him starting to fuss some. I forgot to take a picture of him, so I will do it this week. I'll dress him back in his outfit, and get pics done...

On being pregnant and nursing: In the almost 17 1/2 yrs of marriage, I've been pregnant for 63 months or 5.25 yrs, and nursed for 105 months or 8.75 yrs (Is that right? Did I do my math right?). :

And Joseph has colic, I think, really bad. I know it's because of my poor eating habits or lack of. That is one of the reasons why I am starting South Beach tomorrow. It'll make me eat better. I am going to have to quit cold turkey on Diet Dr Pepper because I know that is what is making him like this...the caffeine!! Poor baby tonight. He is finally asleep. And I am going too...
#79 of 524 Old 02-06-2007, 03:20 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by NewCrunchyDaddy View Post
Wonderful

Quote:
Originally Posted by alisaterry View Post
Who in their right mind submits the name of Mickey Mouse? Morons.
Not only that ... but what temple worker looks at that and says "okay - go ahead?" I mean, come on. Let's use a little common sense, shall we?

#80 of 524 Old 02-06-2007, 03:35 AM

I also love 80's music. The Thompson Twins, New Order, ABC, A-ha, Erasure, Duran Duran...my all time favorite artist, though, is Prince. The man plays 12 separate instruments, and plays them well. He is a short, perverted genius. I love his songs "It's Gonna Be A Beautiful Night" off the Sign O' The Times album, "The Love We Make" (as in brotherly love, not the fun kind) off of Emmancipation, "Love" off of 3121, and "She's Always In My Hair," which is a B-side.

The songs I've been playing the most are "Part of Me" by Lara Fabian and "Steve McQueen" by Sheryl Crow. When I'm depressed or doing housework, it's usually Tori Amos. When I'm dancing with DS, it's Ricky Martin or Shakira. Sometimes Cake.

My favorite hymns are Praise to the Man (OK, I really like the Scottish tune), Redeemer of Israel, All Creature of Our God and King, and I sing "Love One Another" to DS almost every night.
#81 of 524 Old 02-06-2007, 11:29 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
danaalex -- I could be wrong, but if your ward receives more fast offerings than they need, the excess goes to wards that need it. Which is good, because often people live in pockets of more wealthy, medium, less wealthy, etc.

Sarah -- Congrats! I'm due Oct 7.

I have no clue what my fave hymn or song or anything is. I can't choose. And we don't have a song, and we didn't have a wedding song. We're boring.

Mom to DS(14), DS(12), DD(9), DS(6), DS (4), and DS(2)  

***4***8****13***17***21****26***heartbeat.gif****35****40

#82 of 524 Old 02-06-2007, 11:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LionTigerBear View Post
Speaking of blessings, do you all do annual father blessings in your family? I think I've heard of this ? but not suite sure of how it is done? Oh, and I mean the father blessing the children, not the father getting blessed. Gosh my brain is so foggy today.
We have a few traditions we do before the new school year. Since we homeschool and pick our own date to start, we always start the day after Labor Day(Tuesday). The night before, for family home evening, each of the kids gets a Father's Blessing and I get a blessing as well, since I'm their teacher. The next morning we all go out to breakfast as a family to start the new year. Since public school is already in session at that time, the restaurants are empty! The kids love the traditions and look forward to the start of a new school year.
#83 of 524 Old 02-06-2007, 11:40 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by eclecticmama View Post
We have a few traditions we do before the new school year. Since we homeschool and pick our own date to start, we always start the day after Labor Day(Tuesday). The night before, for family home evening, each of the kids gets a Father's Blessing and I get a blessing as well, since I'm their teacher. The next morning we all go out to breakfast as a family to start the new year. Since public school is already in session at that time, the restaurants are empty! The kids love the traditions and look forward to the start of a new school year.
That's a great tradition! I especially like the family breakfast.

#84 of 524 Old 02-06-2007, 12:10 PM

Heidi, Mady had colic, it was terrible. After she started to not be so colicky I was introduced to Hyland's colic tablets. They worked better than the prescription stuff the dr gave me. Which is good because I only used that when I was desperate. The dr said she could have 5 drops (there was a line to indicate 5 drops), but to be careful because he has seen babies die of overdosing. Talk about freak out! Anyways, Hyland's are AWESOME! And since they are homeopathic I felt more comfortable giving them to her. They work great for when she gets gas now, too.

My fav hymn, is I Know That My Redeemer Lives. I have lots of favorite regular songs. Our wedding song was Only Fools Rush In by Elvis. It was the first song dh sang to me, so very special.

Sarah, congrats!!!

Serenity LDS mommy to 4 rambunctious kidlets
#85 of 524 Old 02-06-2007, 12:36 PM

I've been pondering my "journey" lately into becoming more crunchy, and learning more about living naturally, and every once in a while, Mosiah 3:19 pops into my head.
Quote:
19 For the natural man is an enemy to God, and has been from the fall of Adam, and will be, forever and ever, unless he yields to the enticings of the Holy Spirit, and putteth off the natural man and becometh a saint through the atonement of Christ the Lord, and becometh as a child, submissive, meek, humble, patient, full of love, willing to submit to all things which the Lord seeth fit to inflict upon him, even as a child doth submit to his father.
And I have to wonder just what it means by the natural man. I think of the things that come easily to us, rather than the "saintly" things like being humble and submissive, but I can't help but wonder about my new found conviction that Heavenly Father didn't send us to this world with inherently flawed natures. He wouldn't set us up for failure, so what does this natural man mean? DH thinks it has to do with our impulses and instincts, but I'm inclined to believe most of our instincts are God-given. Does any of this make sense? Anyone have any insights?
#86 of 524 Old 02-06-2007, 12:53 PM

Natural literally means the way you were born. "Natural" as in "natural family living" or "natural food" "natural cures" etc etc is just a colloquial expression.

But in this context, it simply means (I think,) the way you were born. You have to grow, and become something higher. You're not supposed to stay a spiritual baby. That sounds funny but I don't know how to rephrase it. :

I still feel . That's my excuse and I'm sticking to it!!!

♥ blogger astrologer mom to three cool kiddos, and trying to figure out this divorce thing-- Blossom and Glow ♥

#87 of 524 Old 02-06-2007, 12:53 PM

Hmmmm... it might have to do with our bodies.... which we are here in part to learn how to bring into submission of our will. Things like eating healthily instead of just whatever tastes the best... Or like procreation -- we have an urge to procreate, but we need to override that instinct so that we act on it in the proper way (during marriage) and even in marriage, in ways that are appropriate.

I don't know about Heavenly Father making us inherently flawed... but we do know that we were created out of spiritual matter that already existed, and that in the premortal life, we were capable of making wrong choices. And our bodies are made out of natural, physical material. If it weren't for these flaws, these natural tendencies, how would we learn to overcome anything? 2 Nephi 2 has a lot to say about this. The importance of opposition. In particular, this:

11 For it must needs be, that there is an opposition in all things. If not so, my first-born in the wilderness, righteousness could not be brought to pass, neither wickedness, neither holiness nor misery, neither good nor bad. Wherefore, all things must needs be a compound in one; wherefore, if it should be one body it must needs remain as dead, having no life neither death, nor corruption nor incorruption, happiness nor misery, neither sense nor insensibility.

I'm wondering in particular what it means by "a compound in one."

Maybe I'm way off base with what you're asking about.

#88 of 524 Old 02-06-2007, 12:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by quarteralien
DH thinks it has to do with our impulses and instincts, but I'm inclined to believe most of our instincts are God-given. Does any of this make sense? Anyone have any insights?
i agree with your DH. i think that the meaning of the scripture is that we must overcome or grow out of our instincts and impulses to come closer to God. i do think we are born with flaws, some different from others, most a part of human nature. if we were perfect then this wouldn't be much of a test, would it? our sex drive is a prime example of this. it's a sacred gift that can be overpowering at times. we have to learn to control ourselves. it's discipline for the mind, body, and spirit. in my family i get a lot of the 'God wouldn't create something He didn't like' especially when the great homosexuality debate rears it's head. but it just doesn't make any sense that we would be born perfect. then what would be the point? we're here to be tested. what better way then to ask us to overcome ourselves?

ETA- i wanted to clarify that i mean our bodies not our spirits. our bodies are naturally 'flawed' because they don't come perfectly aligned to succumb to what the Lord has asked of us. hope that made sense. :

Maggie, blissfully married mama of 5 little ladies on my own little path. homeschool.gif gd.gifRainbow.gif
#89 of 524 Old 02-06-2007, 12:57 PM

Ah, so many eloquent people here, and I am not one of them . . .

#90 of 524 Old 02-06-2007, 12:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by quarteralien View Post
but I can't help but wonder about my new found conviction that Heavenly Father didn't send us to this world with inherently flawed natures. He wouldn't set us up for failure, so what does this natural man mean? DH thinks it has to do with our impulses and instincts, but I'm inclined to believe most of our instincts are God-given.
I don't think the idea that Heavenly Father doesn't set us up for failure and the idea that our natures are inherently flawed are mutually exclusive. The fact that we are flawed gives us something to work against, so we can have the experiences we need to be perfected.

ETA: oops, crossposted with magstphil.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page