LDS Mamas/Papas #38 - Page 5 - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#121 of 524 Old 02-07-2007, 04:43 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by canadiannancy View Post
Wanted to re-introduce myself, as during my lovely depression i missed the last thread . I am Nancy, 25, wife to Michael, 29 . We have two gorgeous girls, (not that I am biased) Kyra who is 20 months and Zoe who is 5 months. We were baptized last October. I had a rough time in the new year, and went into a massive depression, I couldn't even leave my house. I finally made myself go to church 2 weeks ago, and my visiting teacher asked if she could come by, as she hadn't for a couple of months and it made my week to have someone care. And then the bishop asked us about callings, which DH said he would be fine with, but I said I have been working to get out of this depression and didn't think i could handle something else on my plate. The Bishop then referred me to a counsellor that the church has, which is great since I have been waiting for one forever and really need to see someone.
Anyways, just wanted to rejoin mothering a bit, and this thread.
Hi Nancy. I've been on Social Security for depression and OCD for several years now. It takes time to learn healthy coping mechanisms. Be gentle with yourself! And welcome back.
#122 of 524 Old 02-07-2007, 07:06 PM

welcome back Nancy
Marly : you can have an October 30th baby since that is my birthday any october baby is cool
mags: i understand what you are saying about people blaming the church, i think some of it is that people do not get their own testimonies or find out for themselves and then blame the church since they blindly followed or felt they did ..does that make sense at all .. i mean we are told we have to ground ourselves in a spirtiual foundation ... we can not stand on anyone elses testimony... that is what i need to do.. i need to get busy filling my tank..
ok today i will read the scriptures ..anyone want to doing a reading challenge with me ??
#123 of 524 Old 02-07-2007, 07:42 PM

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Ooh... I could use a reading challenge pick me up. Isaac's Mom, what did you have in mind?

Mommy to DS1 bouncy.gifJuly '09 and DS2 baby.gif Oct '12

#124 of 524 Old 02-07-2007, 10:44 PM

Welcome to new and new/old subbers!
I'm up for a reading challenge as well. It would be nice to have someone to check in with so I'll actually do it!
And just a shameless plug, I finally figured out how to link images in my sig.
#125 of 524 Old 02-07-2007, 10:59 PM

How do you put links in? or even create a sig? Can I even do that? This is just sad, I took a class in high school, I should remember how to do this.

Marly
#126 of 524 Old 02-07-2007, 11:09 PM

Sure. Go up to the top of the page, and right under where it will say Welcome marlygf, you'll see Quick Links. One of the options is Edit Signature. Then you can put in whatever you want. HTH
#127 of 524 Old 02-07-2007, 11:26 PM

How do you do the links to the words? I chose the dancing ones because my boys love those and one loves carrots the other loves banana's
#128 of 524 Old 02-07-2007, 11:28 PM

highlight the word and then click on the world with the chain thing at the top of the box. you'll get a little window that comes down where you put in the URL. i really hope that was clear enough!

Maggie, blissfully married mama of 5 little ladies on my own little path. homeschool.gif gd.gifRainbow.gif
#129 of 524 Old 02-07-2007, 11:38 PM

i haven't had any experiences with ex- mormons, but i think that a lot of people want and need to place blame somewhere other than taking responsiblity for themselves. it's much easier to push the blame off on a church than it is to say " yes i have faults, and x, y, and z are MY fault." easier to blame than it is to OWN your issues and problems.

i'm not surprised to hear it at all. i've seen so much anti mormon "stuff" while researching the church, and trying to learn more. the whole "holding women down and back" makes me say "WOW!" maybe it's different here than in other areas, but i think the women in our ward are extremely strong and full of self assurance. some of them work, some don't. the largest family we have right now i think is 7 kids. otherwise, 4 or 5 seem to be about average. the ages of the children are FAR more spread out than mine and i wasn't raised in the church at all. i haven't even been a member for a year. we had 3 kids in 3.5 yrs. most of the families in our ward with over 3 children have a teenage, a preteen, a school age and then a toddler. we have some familes with 1 child, 2 children, no children.

MY opinion about the church is that while they give you recommendations, or guidelines they'd prefer you follow, they also want you to do what YOU are able to do. sometimes we have to do things we aren't crazy about, but if something is really hurtful to your family or will cause MUCH undo stress, the church sees that. as long as people are able to communicate and be honest, i feel that it's definitely a win- win situation.

i don't know the church's stance to homosexuality. so, i can't speak on that. i do know that i told the missionaries that taught me that a friends family member was gay and they responded that they love gay people so, other than that i know nothing.

anyway! enough nonsense from me
#130 of 524 Old 02-07-2007, 11:43 PM

are you a convert, danaalex?

BTW- i hope no one thinks i was bashing ALL ex-members with my post. not all are like that at all. most of my friends (my two best friends) are ex-members i was raised with. the sister never places blame on the church where the brother seems to think that *everything* is the churches fault. : that's what i was talking about.

Maggie, blissfully married mama of 5 little ladies on my own little path. homeschool.gif gd.gifRainbow.gif
#131 of 524 Old 02-07-2007, 11:48 PM

yup. as of aug 2006. so a lot of stuff is new, and or i haven't experienced yet.

i have heard that VA is much different than other areas though. so maybe my perspective is different??

and i certainly didn't think you meant ALL. i personally think that a LOT of people want to find someone or something to blame for their issues, regardless of who they are, where they are from, what they believe, etc.

i know that when i gain weight i put blame on everything i can, expect MYSELF. LOL i never admit that maybe i ate too much or exercise too little. i know, small potatoes, right? but it's the best analogy i could come up with.
#132 of 524 Old 02-07-2007, 11:50 PM

anyone watch lost?? 10 min here and it's on. i'm so tired i can barely keep my eyes open i hope it wakes me up, or i can stay awake for the entire thing.
#133 of 524 Old 02-07-2007, 11:50 PM

my DH is a convert, too. he converted in Dec of 05.

i just had to carify that i didn't mean all because i didn't want anyone to think that i 1) was bashing on ex members and/or 2) all ex-members are like that.

#134 of 524 Old 02-07-2007, 11:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by danaalex View Post
anyone watch lost?? 10 min here and it's on. i'm so tired i can barely keep my eyes open i hope it wakes me up, or i can stay awake for the entire thing.
i do!! and i can't wait. but we have 3 more hours!!! and i'm already sooooo tired!

#135 of 524 Old 02-07-2007, 11:58 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by alisaterry View Post
It should be pretty obvious by now that NCDaddy doesn't ever let me have a single independent thought.
Hey!
Who said you could post without my permission?

:
As if I could stop you.

"A mind needs books as a sword needs a whetstone, if it is to keep its edge." - Tyrion Lannister

#136 of 524 Old 02-08-2007, 12:00 AM

get that woman on a leash, NCD! she might break a nail or something.

#137 of 524 Old 02-08-2007, 12:04 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by magstphil View Post
get that woman on a leash, NCD! she might break a nail or something.
:
I try, but she just won't listen to me. I thinks I needs me a strap or something.

"A mind needs books as a sword needs a whetstone, if it is to keep its edge." - Tyrion Lannister

#138 of 524 Old 02-08-2007, 01:39 AM

The Book of Mormon .. do we want to read a chapter a day or so many pages ? i was thinking of having it read by April Gen Conf .. i have a site that will calculate how many pgs a day and send you a reminder then we can check in here ..
http://www.readthescriptures.com/

i can create us a group or we can do it indivually and just check in here
LMK ...
#139 of 524 Old 02-08-2007, 01:41 AM

I would love the idea of doing it as a group, a good way to keep accountable...

Nancy, Mom to Kyra (2005), Zoe (2006), Callie (2007) (2008), and Xavier (2009)
#140 of 524 Old 02-08-2007, 02:02 AM

It's 11pm, and he's been asleep longer than 10 minutes! I swear he hasn't slept more then 10 minutes (here and there) all day!! I hope he stays asleep tonight for a long time. Today he is 6 weeks old!! I took some pictures of him today. I will post it in my blog thingy tomorrow.
#141 of 524 Old 02-08-2007, 12:30 PM

i'm getting really tired of articles like this. it just goes to show how superficial we are in this country. "issues" like this and the fact that Obama's middle name is Hussein. give me a break! whatever happened to judging a candidate on their merit and platform? but maybe MAYBE this will be good for the church. just get ready for a big bash-a-thon. : on the other side, as a liberal member, i'm concerned that the public will take Romney's platform (if they even stop to look at it ) and assume all members are like that. Romney may not have my vote but the LEAST we can do as American's is hear him out and not dismiss him based on his religion- misconceptions or not. i would say this of any candidate.

i'm just full of vents lately!

#142 of 524 Old 02-08-2007, 02:32 PM

i thought the article was pretty good but i understand what you mean too

**are we allowed to have more than one thread ..can i start a reading challenge seperate from this one ??
#143 of 524 Old 02-08-2007, 02:43 PM

i wasn't upset about the article itself but that there is a 'need' for one.

i don't know, i think you should be allowed to start another one in Religious Studies. maybe some non members might want to read, too? you never know.

#144 of 524 Old 02-08-2007, 03:01 PM

ahh i see
ok i will start one see if anyone wants to join in
#145 of 524 Old 02-08-2007, 03:13 PM

#146 of 524 Old 02-08-2007, 06:52 PM

i'll join you on the reading challenge!! great idea.

i liked the article i don't know much about this candidate and anytime i can read something about someone that might be running for prez, i believe it to be a good thing. even if the article isn't very nice. there was a not too nice one about joe biden recently. i've met joe biden and i really liked him in person, and he's going to run, so i thought it was good to read the article otherwise, i don't read much about politics.

i wanted our ward to do 'caps to the capitol' for a service project, but i was told that the church may not take a political stance, any way shape or form. i have been told that there are members in our ward from both major parties. i'm probably a little more republican than i am democrat, but i have never voted for a republican presidential candidate. my parents are both major republicans LOL. and i don't really agree with them. all of my inlaws are democrats OR libertarians, and i don't fit in too well with them either. so, i'm sorta a repub-ocrat very middle of the road i think. so i need to learn as much as i can about ALL those that want to run in the election.

this will be an interesting election i think. i LOVE the diversity of the primary candidates

i don't think you're venting not full of them at least. wink wink!
#147 of 524 Old 02-08-2007, 06:56 PM

anyone else doing the D and C scripture study class???

i missed two weeks ago cause we were sick sick and then last week i had to be in the nursery and then this week they cancelled due to the schools opening late ( snow and cold outside). i'm going through D and C withdrawl LOL
#148 of 524 Old 02-08-2007, 09:16 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by magstphil View Post
i'm getting really tired of articles like this. it just goes to show how superficial we are in this country. "issues" like this and the fact that Obama's middle name is Hussein. give me a break! whatever happened to judging a candidate on their merit and platform? but maybe MAYBE this will be good for the church. just get ready for a big bash-a-thon. : on the other side, as a liberal member, i'm concerned that the public will take Romney's platform (if they even stop to look at it ) and assume all members are like that. Romney may not have my vote but the LEAST we can do as American's is hear him out and not dismiss him based on his religion- misconceptions or not. i would say this of any candidate.

i'm just full of vents lately!
Well... I can't stand Romney and I'm LDS, so ... whatchu gonna do?

Or Hatch for that matter ... I saw him speak publicly and the things he said ... I don't care if you're joking, but you don't say things like that outloud as a pubic official :

#149 of 524 Old 02-09-2007, 01:24 AM

Subscribing-
And somehow I didn't know he was LDS- yeeehaaw... wonder if he's related to my bestfriend from college (she's a Romney!)... I'll have to ask.

I'm still trying to figure out how to get that "W" sticker to show up well on my Camry, lol.....

PS- Alissa, are you HERE?! Is anyone who knows me here? :
#150 of 524 Old 02-09-2007, 03:09 AM

I'm subbing as well. Wow, you all are chatty these days.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode