LDS Mamas/Papas #38 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 02-03-2007, 01:32 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Okay, new thread ... have at it.

"A mind needs books as a sword needs a whetstone, if it is to keep its edge." - Tyrion Lannister

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-03-2007, 01:41 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Thought I would post this in the new thread to I hope that is ok.

Hello all I just made it over to this board I am not even going to try and read this whole thread sorry.

I am 26 will be 27 in april my husband and I have been married 6 years on the 24th of this month We have a 19 month old little girl and I am 23 weeks along with number 2.
We cloth diaper most of the time although since I got preggo it has been less with toddler poos
Co sleep,extended breastfeeding, no vaxing, attachment parenting,delayed solids and will be home schooling when the time comes.
I joined the church when I was 12 husband also joined around that age but we did not know each other then.
We try to be active but travel alot so we have gotten way out of the habit of going to church and now it is at 9am oh my I am not a morning person LOL.

I look forward to getting to know all of you I am so glad to find a lds thread.

Amanda
Old 02-03-2007, 02:52 AM

Subbing.
Old 02-03-2007, 03:32 AM

What were we talking about again?

Violin teaching, doula-ing Mom to Abby, (8) Ashlynn, (6) : and Max (11/13/08) Diagnosed with Metopic Craniosynostosis. First surgery 5/1/09, Second surgery March 2010.
Old 02-03-2007, 05:01 AM

My, we were busy today! I got off of work this morning at 7am (friday) and we were at 25 pages, When I came back into work this evening a 11pm, we were at 30 pages plus a new thread! That's exciting though! I'm glad to see the LDS community is so active here! Although, I have no idea what to respond to now!!

Wife to D (12/03) and totally smitten Mama to DD (4/05) DS (2/09) and expecting DD#2  6/23/11
Old 02-03-2007, 05:35 AM

Utah moms - homebirth is under attack. Margaret Dayton has introduced a bill that would effectively eliminate every mother from eligibility for homebirth.
Read it for yourself: http://le.utah.gov/%7E2007/bills/sbillint/sb0243.htm

You can join the yahoogroup UtahFriendsofMidwives for more information and updates. You need to start emailing your senators this weekend, and a group is going to the Capitol starting Monday.
Old 02-03-2007, 11:54 AM

Hi! In light of the new thread, I thought I would reintroduce myself:

I am known as LTB here, married to DadVader who isn't on much because he is so busy working hard for our family. Of course, I am working hard for our family too, but my position as a milk-and-cuddles-machine can be done in front of the computer. DH and I are both 23, married three years, and we have been members of the church for three years also. We have a 2.5-year-old and a three-month-old. (See pics in siggie-- hmm I have to update them soon.) Also, I think I might be pregnant! But I don't know, will have to wait and see on that one.

I am feeling very pregnant. Kind of nauseaous, headachey, weak, tired, wanna crawl back in bed . . .

Gotta go for now!

♥ blogger astrologer mom to three cool kiddos, and trying to figure out this divorce thing-- Blossom and Glow ♥

Old 02-03-2007, 12:26 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Welcome, blueberrystamps!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stacymom View Post
Our neighborhood school is terribly overcrowded- there are 12 kindergarten classes this year, and will be more next year.
: Wow! I think my elementary school had 12 classes total, for jk through gr 8!

Quote:
Originally Posted by NewCrunchyDaddy View Post
My Mom has always said that when Christ comes again it will either be on Super Bowl Sunday or the Saturday Morning Conference Session.
What about those of us who listen to the Saturday morning session at home? Does that still count?

Mom to DS(14), DS(12), DD(9), DS(6), DS (4), and DS(2)  

***4***8****13***17***21****26***heartbeat.gif****35****40

Old 02-03-2007, 12:52 PM

subbing, but quick intro, now that I know you guys a bit better, and you know me a bit better. I'm Bronwyn, married to Kurt for nearly 5 years, we have Dorian, who's 2.5, and Faith who is 11 months. We're both originally from California, met at BYU, went to grad school at Oregon State, now we're here for a job. I'm Gospel Doctrine teacher, and Kurt is ward clerk. I only very recently began to learn about AP and other crunchy lifestyle choices, so we're only slowly getting into them : But we've made great strides. We've eliminated added sugar and most refined flour from our diets and will start cloth diapering soon, as soon as I figure out which ones to buy I didn't quite realize there were so many choices. So yeah, that's us. Glad to be here, again.
Old 02-03-2007, 01:03 PM

I'm almost 34 (almost ancient for this group: ) and I have 4 kids, dd's 8 and 6, ds 3 and dd 7 mos. Dd #3 was born at home in the water, we CD, try to cook whole, etc. and gentle house cleaning products. We live in one of the most expensive areas of the country, bought a house last year, and trying to make it more and more our own.

I'm a new Primary president, and still trying to learn how to juggle it all. I love to sew, read (tons), and I'm trying to stay motivated at improving my overall health/losing baby weight. DS was sick this week and destroyed that. I'm also active in a grassroots BF support org. I want to be a midwife when I grow up. I'm very excited to put in some vegetables this year, but we can never have chickens here.

I'm okay with that, though--we have a farm we get stuff from (meat and eggs) and I have finally had success cooking pork in my house--I made a pork roast with bone in that turned out fabulous! We plan on making pork and beans with the bone broth this weekend. The meat is gone: --I ate the rest last night.

Some people would say dd is nursing too much--I hope she's growing or something, but she doesn't like pureed food and isn't quite old enough for a lot of "pick up" food for another month or two. I've literally been nursing all night!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I'm so sore. OK--that paragraph should be in the BF challenges forum, but part of the issue is then I don't have energy to do my calling stuff or properly parent my kids (without yelling). She finally ate a chunk of baked potato last night and some water to give me a little break. I'm not in a hurry, really I'm not, but when it hurts ...
Old 02-03-2007, 01:42 PM

hey hey hey! i'm Maggie. DH (Robbie) and i are 21. we have two girlies (Lily and Mable) and another supposed girl (Olive) on the way in April. we co-sleep, delayed/selective vax, breastfeed (although my pregnancy has caused us to supplement with Mable. : ), baby wear, and try and live as simply and green as possible. i was raised LDS, although inactive. i became active in my teens and then fell away for a few years which is when i was practicing Paganism and met DH via some member friends. we had our Lily and got married (yes, in that order) at 18 (DH's 18th birthday, in fact) and went on with our lives. then, while i was pregnant with Mable, the little brother of a good friend i had in the church before i fell away gave DH a Book of Mormon and we both felt very humbled and compelled to go back to church. that was over a year ago and now we're getting ready to attend the temple.

so there ya go!

Maggie, blissfully married mama of 5 little ladies on my own little path. homeschool.gif gd.gifRainbow.gif
Old 02-03-2007, 02:19 PM

i'm dana, 30, and i joined the church 6 mo ago. no one else in my family or friends are members. i've been married for almost 7 yrs and have three DDs. .5.5, almost 4, and almost 2. and i'm preggo with number 4, due in sept.

we live in the same area as bekka, sorta, we are further west than she is. this is our 4th state since getting married. we've moved just about every 1.5-2 yrs. we've lived in DE, FL, MD and now VA. we really like where we are now because it's a small town, 6100 people, and you can see mansions down the road from farms i love that part.

we are going to build a garden this year too. and join a CSA too, there are so many of them around us. we are very into gentle parenting, cloth diapering, no vaxing, BF, organic, etc. our playgroup has outings like berry picking and apple picking, pumpking picking LOL, etc. we're going to homeschool our oldest two next year using the charlotte mason philosophy. at least that's my plan right now. being due in sept. makes me think that any type of school this year will be hairy.

i take my three girls to church with me alone on sundays. they enjoy it as do i. sacrament can get a little tense at times with me trying to keep three kids reverent, but once they get to their classes things are better. my oldest loves CTR6, and my babe enjoys the nursery. i've been attending sunbeams with my middle DD. she is shy-er and than shy. i've enjoyed being in there with her though LOL. i've learned some primary songs, which makes FHE more fun for the girls now
Old 02-03-2007, 02:24 PM

Alright, a new thread to fill right up

I'm Marly 25, married to dh 26 for 6 years, with our ds's, 4.5 and almost 3. My dh is currently working on his Masters in Robotics. I tell him he needs to make enough money for me to have a house and save the world

I started on my crunchy road when I became pregnant with ds1. I didn't want a big needle in my back so I had to find another way to do it. Anyway, there are still some things I haven't done yet or ventured out, but I am a project in process.

so, my chart changed the ovulation day, again. One of the reasons why I don't have ewcm listed is because I wasn't looking at the cm right. For some reason I thought the cloudy thick stuff was ewcm, and then I made pancakes the next day and actually looked at the egg white : It's not cloudy and thick. anyway, I'll figure it out for next month, unless I'm pregnant of course, than I'll figure it all out next time http://www.fertilityfriend.com/home/23ea9 (there I did the right link the first time)

I read through the stuff about homebirth. I need to contact my person don't I don't remember where to do that. If I can't have my homebirth I am going to petition that lady pay for my birth center birth. for me it's $770 in the hospital with an ob, $1700 at home, and over $2000 in the birth center. I've discovered I have crappy insurance!

Oh and last night we went to the store to look at tables and we bought a vacume I wanted one of those too and it took 45 minutes to figure out which one I wanted (I wanted the Dyson but didn't want to spend that much) anyway, our carpet was disgusting! We hadn't vacumed in 3 weeks because our other one was broken. We got a Bissel pet one

There was a very good point about the table. Getting a really expensive one seems sill when you have little kids. We found one at ShopKo we like. It's two toned and can come with stolls. So we'll watch for it to go on sale

Marly

Stacy, which Charter schools are you applying to? We did Entheos and Monticello. I really just hope he gets in one. M said they are doing their lottery the middle of Feb, so I should know the end of Feb or beginning of Mar.
Old 02-03-2007, 02:29 PM

question- do you think other spiritual practices can be incorporated into our lives? not meaning like take over the principles of the gospel but i am a firm believer that truth is everywhere and in everything. an example would be LOA. that, in itself, is a spiritual belief/practice but i feel it can go hand in hand with the gospel. i once had a sister tell me and her daughter that meditation was bad because it wasn't from *our* beliefs. my personal thought is one can use meditation and creative visualization to exercise the mind, help with personal growth, organize thoughts, and calm. i just don't feel it takes away from the Spirit. but it has been debated in my personal life so much by people near me i was just wondering how you all felt.

Maggie, blissfully married mama of 5 little ladies on my own little path. homeschool.gif gd.gifRainbow.gif
Old 02-03-2007, 04:27 PM

This will have to be quick-

Marly, we applied to Enthoes, Navigator Pointe, and one in Bluffdale- can't remember the name. Navigator pointe and Entheos are both quite close, and we're keeping our fingers crossed for either. I think Navigator POinte lotteries on Feb 15th, and Entheos the first part of March.

Violin teaching, doula-ing Mom to Abby, (8) Ashlynn, (6) : and Max (11/13/08) Diagnosed with Metopic Craniosynostosis. First surgery 5/1/09, Second surgery March 2010.
Old 02-03-2007, 04:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by magstphil View Post
question- do you think other spiritual practices can be incorporated into our lives? not meaning like take over the principles of the gospel but i am a firm believer that truth is everywhere and in everything. an example would be LOA. that, in itself, is a spiritual belief/practice but i feel it can go hand in hand with the gospel. i once had a sister tell me and her daughter that meditation was bad because it wasn't from *our* beliefs. my personal thought is one can use meditation and creative visualization to exercise the mind, help with personal growth, organize thoughts, and calm. i just don't feel it takes away from the Spirit. but it has been debated in my personal life so much by people near me i was just wondering how you all felt.
Well, the Church corroborates with Boy Scouts of America, which is an organization that "can go hand in hand with the gospel." I've heard all about BSA this week ...

Anyway, when I started reading on MDC and other places about natural family living, so much of it seemed to gel with gospel principles, like W of W, gentle discipline (some flavors), providential living, etc. that I jumped on the bandwagon with both feet. As I started reading books and websites, I started to pay _too much_ attention to the details of NFL and less attention to the *gospel.* After a while I got back into reading scriptures and realized that I'd let the little details crowd out the truths.

All of what I'm trying to say is, that truths can affect our lives from whatever source. But if we try to focus on the source of the truths instead of the gospel, then we're "missing the boat." For some people doing yoga will be a great way to focus their mind body and spiritual energy. For other people, that will become the focus. So we each have to figure out what things are useful truths for us! Meditation is probably just fine.
Old 02-03-2007, 04:50 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bekka View Post
Well, the Church corroborates with Boy Scouts of America, which is an organization that "can go hand in hand with the gospel." I've heard all about BSA this week ...

Anyway, when I started reading on MDC and other places about natural family living, so much of it seemed to gel with gospel principles, like W of W, gentle discipline (some flavors), providential living, etc. that I jumped on the bandwagon with both feet. As I started reading books and websites, I started to pay _too much_ attention to the details of NFL and less attention to the *gospel.* After a while I got back into reading scriptures and realized that I'd let the little details crowd out the truths.

All of what I'm trying to say is, that truths can affect our lives from whatever source. But if we try to focus on the source of the truths instead of the gospel, then we're "missing the boat." For some people doing yoga will be a great way to focus their mind body and spiritual energy. For other people, that will become the focus. So we each have to figure out what things are useful truths for us! Meditation is probably just fine.
I'd agree with Bekka, Mags, that it depends on where your focus is. If you are able to us it to focus yourself on the Gospel, then - as they say in Brasil - vai indo garota, roughly translated "go going" or "keep on going" or even (and I'm embarrassed to mention this one ) "You Go Girl!"

Anyway, the bottom line is that yoga, meditation, the BSA, even feng shui, as long as you keep your focus on the Gospel I see no problem with participating. DW does yoga and meditations on an almost daily basis and she has had no problem keeping her eye focused on the Gospel, so...

"A mind needs books as a sword needs a whetstone, if it is to keep its edge." - Tyrion Lannister

Old 02-03-2007, 05:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by klg47 View Post
Utah moms - homebirth is under attack. Margaret Dayton has introduced a bill that would effectively eliminate every mother from eligibility for homebirth.

You can join the yahoogroup UtahFriendsofMidwives for more information and updates. You need to start emailing your senators this weekend, and a group is going to the Capitol starting Monday.
WHAT?????? I hate this state! Time to put on my angry eyes!!!!!
Old 02-03-2007, 05:05 PM

Quote:
I'm almost 34 (almost ancient for this group: )

Hey! I'm almost 32! So....so there! Not ancient. Mature. I like 30. I don't put up with as much crap as I used to.
Old 02-03-2007, 05:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by klg47 View Post

I think the most disturbing line in the thing is this:
Quote:
appropriately distinguishes those births that are appropriate for a home setting and those that are not in light of the statutes and rules of other states and peer-reviewed medical literature;
Can we say peer pressure, boys and girls?
I also think that sutch techincal medical information ought to be kept out of legislature, but that's JMO, and that just doesn't count for anything.
Old 02-03-2007, 05:19 PM

Quote:
Maggie, I believe LOA and meditation and other beliefs/practices that have merit, came from the gospel/church at one point or another, perhaps hundreds of years ago.

That's my quick answer, we're making lunch here!

♥ blogger astrologer mom to three cool kiddos, and trying to figure out this divorce thing-- Blossom and Glow ♥

Old 02-03-2007, 05:22 PM

Quote:
Umm, I don't think it is truths OR the gospel. If it's true, than it's part of the gospel. For instance, in Boy Scouts, the things that Boy Scouts upholds are gospel principles. (Truth, Honor, Preparedness, etc.) As far as gentle discipline, that is the gospel too. We are supposed to use gentle discipline techniques on everyone, lol, that's what Jesus would do! As far as nutrition, thats WoW . . . and so on and so forth. So I don't see them as separate at all.

That said, the gospel BASICS require more attention. Daily prayer and repentance and scripture study for instance.

Old 02-03-2007, 09:07 PM

I'm Heidi. I'm almost 37. Been married for almost 18 yrs. Have 7 children, ages 16-5 weeks old. Been a member my whole life. Married in the Dallas Temple. Married an RM. Served in Primary & YW before, and currently the Ward Music Chairperson/chorister & Relief Society Secretary. We delay vax, and we circ.

Anyway, enough with me. My parents are here this weekend for Joseph's blessing. We've been having fun, and my house is proof enough...we haven't cleaned this whole weekend, and there are toys and crapola everywhere! : We will be cleaning tomorrow after church. I can't stand a messy house when everyone leaves.

Lindsey is sick, but she is still going to church tomorrow because of the blessing and because of the fact that my parents drove 6 hrs to get here. I just won't let her attend nursery. She will go to class with me or DH.

DH & I are going out tonight with my parents. We are going Chinese. I am so excited. Haven't been out for a while without kids. Need a break.
Old 02-03-2007, 11:19 PM

I am Serenity, 24. Married to Bryan, we have three beautiful children. Our oldest is in Kindergarten (one of 15 or 17 K classes). We had planned to homeschool, but PPD smacked me on my butt and I am still just starting to recover. We also have an almost 4 year old and a 20 month old. Dh just got a new job, for the person who asked in the last thread (sorry I can't remember who) it's exactly what he was doing before, what he loves, industrial electrical maintenance. Basically he fixes the electrical stuff on the machines in factories. The new job is a HUGE HUGE blessing, more money, a 15 minute commute insteaad of the old 1 hour commute, and insruance that starts the day he starts work. So nice!

Serenity LDS mommy to 4 rambunctious kidlets
Old 02-03-2007, 11:41 PM

yey serenity that if fabulous news! better commute! better money! and he loves what he does! you can't ask for better than that.
Old 02-04-2007, 12:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LionTigerBear View Post
Umm, I don't think it is truths OR the gospel. If it's true, than it's part of the gospel. For instance, in Boy Scouts, the things that Boy Scouts upholds are gospel principles. (Truth, Honor, Preparedness, etc.) As far as gentle discipline, that is the gospel too. We are supposed to use gentle discipline techniques on everyone, lol, that's what Jesus would do! As far as nutrition, thats WoW . . . and so on and so forth. So I don't see them as separate at all.

That said, the gospel BASICS require more attention. Daily prayer and repentance and scripture study for instance.
But what I was saying was that the *details* were the problem. I was stressing over which kind of cloth diapers to buy. And trying to get other people to see things my way. And stressing because we couldn't afford to buy organic all the time if we wanted any variety in our diet. And reading so much about vax and freaking out and panicking that I wasn't leaving any space in my heart or time in my schedule for the gospel, which include the basics. Some may disagree, but I believe that different people may get a different answer to the vax question. OR whatever. And the gospel truths that could be had, even in all these other sources, were getting lost in the noise. That's all.

(: I'm all full of really bad figures of speech today ...)
Old 02-04-2007, 02:27 AM

HI Everyone
I am Jenn ,28 married to DH -Dan 27 for 2 years (1/24/05) we were sealed last year on 2/18/06 in the Oakland Temple. Our DS is Isaac he is 11 months on Monday. We are still mostly bf ,very little solids , co-sleeping and back on the CD wagon after a short sposie break : . We are starting to eat better , use whole wheat pastas ,brown rice etc. , eat more veggies. Now if we can just incoprate in the walking we will be set : I am currently inactive have not been to church in a month so I am considered inactive . We have been omitting alot of what we should be doing, prayer ,ss , fhe .. we are trying to start doing all of that again. We are going to church tomorrow though. I am supposed to be teaching primary -CTR6 , but have not felt right about it , I emailed the primary pres and counselor they are my friends and they have a sub for me. I am not sure what to do their .. i need to do my calling ...
I know what I am supposed to do , I was raised in the church and I know where I need to be. I just need to learn how to manage my $ better and live more simply . (back away from the cd websites ) ... anyhow i love this thread and am going to try and keep up with it this time :
Old 02-04-2007, 02:44 AM

hi! that other thread got ahead of me so fast, I'll just introduce myself again... I'm Chrissy, my kids are 4 months, 23 months, and 4. My husband and I are converts.

Currently, I am in a whirlwind of activity to get needed services for my oldest who has several neurological issues. things are really looking good right now as far as getting some good answers and interventions very soon.

Berkeley mom of 3 and President of Tender Cargo Baby Gear
and The Nurture Center Store and Resource Center 3399 Mt Diablo Bl Lafayette CA 888-998-BABY
Old 02-04-2007, 04:07 AM

Heidi, my dd is being blessed tomorrow too! We had her sealed today in the Bountiful Temple! It was so wonderful! My son cried through his entire sealing, but this time around, they were both angels. DD was smiling and happy the whole time, and ds had a great experience too. Though he was ticked because he didn't get to see all the rooms he'd seen pictures of in the books we showed him.

I am Lisa, age 37 in a month (is anyone here old than Heidi and me?), married for 11.5 years and mother of two, ds age 4.5, and dd age 6.5 months. Both of my children are adopted, and right now my heart is full thinking of the wonderful blessings they've been in our life, and of the wonderful birthmoms who sacrificed for them.

Bekka, I agree with your thoughts about AP/NFL and the gospel. I find myself answering to this "philosophy" instead of having the gospel be my standard sometimes. I agree that there are many things within AP and NFL that fit perfectly with the gospel, but there is danger when we hold one above the other as far as our loyalties go.
Old 02-04-2007, 05:44 AM

I'm Alisa. NCDaddy and I are mad passionate lovers. Sh! Don't tell our spouses! :

User Tag List