LDS Mamas and Papas #39 - Page 11 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#301 of 575 Old 03-15-2007, 05:28 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by klg47 View Post

Sandra Ellis is an LDS master herbalist, and she puts her girls on RRL tea before they hit puberty to reduce menstrual problems. I'm not sure how much she has them drink. But when they skip it, they can tell! (mood swings, pain, etc.)
where can we find more info on this? I had no idea about treating for menstrual symptoms. Dh would appreciate that

So do any of you on this thread live in the Austin, Tx area? Really could use some help on finding a better doc who is not going to bully me about vax's and not retract my ds foreskin :

Thanks

- Crystal, mom to 4 kiddos expecting #5 very soon . We are a , , , , and family
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#302 of 575 Old 03-15-2007, 05:47 PM - Thread Starter

On tea ... as has been said, herbal teas are not anti-WoW. If you are in doubt, when buying a tea, check the ingredients ... if it contains Black Tea or Tea of India, then that's the kind that the WoW is warning against. If you check the ingredients on a box of herbal tea, it just has herbs and fruit and leaves, etc. (RRL would fall into this category.) As for drinking them all the time, that's a personal decision ... after all, I have known some members who deny themselves the pleasure of hot chocolate because (1) they interpret "hot drinks" to mean just that and (2) there are members who interpret the WoW to include chocolate because of the caffeine content in chocolate. To each his own, I guess, but since I stopped drinking coffee almost 12 years ago , every once in a while I need a hot chocolate or a mug of herbal tea to take care of that coffee "itch."

"A mind needs books as a sword needs a whetstone, if it is to keep its edge." - Tyrion Lannister

#303 of 575 Old 03-15-2007, 05:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cjarvis
So do any of you on this thread live in the Austin, Tx area? Really could use some help on finding a better doc who is not going to bully me about vax's and not retract my ds foreskin :
I am from north of Austin. I miss the area a lot. Don't know of any dr. as all my family vax and circ's.

I used to go to youth church dances at the church there on...oh, geez can't remember the name of the street now! It was off I-35, kinda up from Old San Francisco Steak House. Began with an "R" I think.

I have called my old doctor. I go see him next Thursday at 2:30pm. I wonder if until then I should up my Zoloft, or up my Synthoid?
#304 of 575 Old 03-15-2007, 06:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cjarvis View Post
where can we find more info on this? I had no idea about treating for menstrual symptoms. Dh would appreciate that

Thanks
Sandra Ellis is affiliated with Dr. Christopher's School of Natural Healing, so anything you read from/about Dr. Christopher will be similar to her advice. Check www.herballegacy.com. www.herbsfirst.com used to have tons of newsletters and great information, until they were forced to remove it by the FDA. Much of the info moved to Herbal Legacy, but not all.

She wrote two books, Dr. Mom, and Dr. Mom II (an expanded version of the 1st book). I got Dr. Mom II from the BYU library several years ago. Those two are no longer in print, but she has a new one - Dr. Mom's Healthy Living, by Sandra K. Livingston Ellis, M.H.

It's available here: http://www.herbsfirst.com/Books.htm along with a book called "Every Woman's Herbal", which may be of interest to you.

It looks like she also has a brand-new website up. Unfortunately, since it's new, most of the links aren't working: http://www.drmomshealthyliving.com/

It looks like there are some copies of the old Dr. Mom book available if you search at http://used.addall.com, but it'd probably be better to just buy the new one!
#305 of 575 Old 03-15-2007, 06:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cjarvis View Post
Thanks
Have you checked the Finding Your Tribe board? When we were looking at moving to Austin, I found a lot of information on that board. You'll have to search through old threads, but if you use the search engine it will go quicker. You could also join local yahoogroups, even if you just join long enough to get the names.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NewCrunchyDaddy View Post
On tea ... as has been said, herbal teas are not anti-WoW. If you are in doubt, when buying a tea, check the ingredients ... if it contains Black Tea or Tea of India
Also green tea
#306 of 575 Old 03-15-2007, 06:08 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Also green tea
Really? Oops... :

"A mind needs books as a sword needs a whetstone, if it is to keep its edge." - Tyrion Lannister

#307 of 575 Old 03-15-2007, 06:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NewCrunchyDaddy View Post
Really? Oops... :
Short answer: hmm, it looks like they have never said anything specifically about black tea.

Long answer: Well, it was my understanding that green tea was prohibited, but I checked on LDS.org, and I actually didn't find anything about green tea. Green tea is derived from the same plant as black tea - the Camellia sinensis plant. This link has some information about green tea - http://www.hotpepper.ca/lds/wordofwisdom/hot/ - but it's all his own personal interpretation, not the Church's.

If you didn't go to the above-mentioned website, basically the theory interprets down to this:
- WoW says hot drinks are not OK.
- Brigham Young's quote says something to the effect of "what were the people in the habit of taking at the time? Coffee and tea. Therefore, 'no hot drinks' means no coffee or tea."
- Based on research (or guessing?) people have decided that the type of tea that the Saints would have drank was tea derived from the Camellia sinensis plant.
- Teas derived from the Camellia sinensis plant include black, green, oolong, congou, pekoe, orange pekoe, and souchong.
- Therefore, any tea from the Camellia sinensis plant is not OK.

BUT - none of the above has ever been confirmed or denied by the Church, as far as I know. We do know that green tea has caffeine, but we also are aware that the Church has never said that caffeine is the reason for the prohibition on coffee or tea, though several Authorities have said we probably shouldn't have caffeine, because of its addictive properties.
#308 of 575 Old 03-15-2007, 06:45 PM

On tea: I like the idea of using it medicinally, but man, I can't stand the stuff. Maybe I'm not doing it right, but I always end up gagging when I try it, even when I dump half a container (ok, exaggeration) of honey into one cup. Not sure how people manage to enjoy it!

NCD, I just have to tell you that DD saw your attached daddy icon in your sig, pointed to it, and said excitedly, "JESUS!!"

SAHM to Melinda (Oct '03), Jacob (Aug '05),  Alex (Apr '08), and baby.gif Malcolm (Sept 29, '11)

#309 of 575 Old 03-15-2007, 08:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leiahs View Post
NCD, I just have to tell you that DD saw your attached daddy icon in your sig, pointed to it, and said excitedly, "JESUS!!"
:
#310 of 575 Old 03-15-2007, 09:14 PM

Leiahs, I am not a fan of herbal teas either. I don't do well with things that require aquiring a taste for it I was at a friends and she had me try four different kinds. They all tasted like seeds with a hint of something else. I would like to do rrl or some others for the pregnancy, but it'll be hard, that's for sure.
#311 of 575 Old 03-15-2007, 09:34 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Milk and honey, gag. I used to try it with honey, but it was just kind of gross to me. Now I add lemon!

For future pregnancies, if you're worried about miscarriage, it would be best TO drink the RRL during the early stages of pregnancy to help your body keep the pregnancy. If female organs are a concern for you, it would be helpful to drink it every day, regardless of if you're pregnant or not.
I drink it cold with honey and lemon in the summer, but if I'm drinking it warm, I do like it with milk in it.

I have kept taking RRL through my other pregnancies and when not pregnant, for the reasons you stated. But after taking it through 4 pregnancies that ended in miscarriage, even though I'm pretty sure the issue was progesterone, I decided not to take it in the first trimester, just in case. I know it probably didn't contribute, but if I miscarried again, I would be blaming myself for it.

Mom to DS(14), DS(12), DD(9), DS(6), DS (4), and DS(2)  

***4***8****13***17***21****26***heartbeat.gif****35****40

#312 of 575 Old 03-15-2007, 10:50 PM

I drank RRL tea when pregnant w/ dd. Although, I added so much sugar that it really ended up just tasting like warm Kool-Aid! But that's the only way I could stand drinking it!

Wife to D (12/03) and totally smitten Mama to DD (4/05) DS (2/09) and expecting DD#2  6/23/11
#313 of 575 Old 03-16-2007, 09:51 AM

I went to a baby shower for a woman at church last night. It's their first baby. Shew as given a copy of baby wise. The other young mother who gave it to her told everyone it was her other bible. I have not read that book, but I have heard really bad things about it. Blech!

Serenity LDS mommy to 4 rambunctious kidlets
#314 of 575 Old 03-16-2007, 10:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by seren View Post
I went to a baby shower for a woman at church last night. It's their first baby. Shew as given a copy of baby wise. The other young mother who gave it to her told everyone it was her other bible. I have not read that book, but I have heard really bad things about it. Blech!
Seren- maybe you ought to read it, just for "fun" : It really drives me crazy when people give that for baby showers! I've been stocking up on "The Womanly Art of Breastfeeding", "The Baby Book" (by Dr. Sears) and "The Super BabyFood Book" for my sisters-in-law..... Apparently two of them did the CIO thing - one did it with TRIPLETS, and she still does it. It's INSANE- and obviously it didn't "work" since they're still screaming their fool heads off when they leave them in their bedroom for bed- and naptimes.

Several years ago, before we moved up here, walmart in Little Rock had The Baby Book AND The Womanly Art of Breastfeeding on clearance for like $3 each- I bought 2 copies of each. Clearly I didn't think ahead very well (actually, I remember now I had a newborn and was leaking MADLY and not feeling tiptop!) or I would've bought ALL of them. I SO wish I had!

I've even seen "Super Nanny" tell parents to do the bedtime routine, place the child in bed, then sit next to the crib..... and each night move further from the crib until the child comfortable falling off to sleep upon being placed into their bed and being kissed goodnight. Hopefully the new mommy at least watches television!

Oh, hey! Maybe (*I*, mostly... but others who are against CIO possibly) could start giving the Mom a coupon at her baby shower stating that when it's time for the baby to go to sleep on their own- you'll come over and help her! I may really have to consider that, lol. It'd be like a "free babysitting" coupon, but instead a "free teach your child to sleep through the night" coupon? Something like "On baby's first birthday, Super Sleepytime Fairie (me) will arrive at your doorstep with refreshments and reinforcements to gently and painlessly lull baby off to dreamland..." or something goofy like that . Then they wont' be worried about it, they'll be excited about it, and it's my way of controlling all those new babies not having to CIO when I'm not there to "save" them, lol.

Well, anyway... I tihnk I'm low on sleep!!!
#315 of 575 Old 03-16-2007, 10:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by seren View Post
With this particular book, you do have a leg to stand on - the American Academy of Pediatrics has spoken out against the feeding practices outlined in the book. The only possible problem is that the AAP statement was several years ago, and Babywise may have come out with a new edition since then. But if you can find the official statement from the AAP, I would definitely bring it up with this mother. I would try to be as non-confrontational as possible, but strongly emphasize that the AAP has said it can be dangerous. Most people highly respect the AAP Here's some more info: http://ezzo.info/Aney/aneyaap.htm
And I'd bet you could find tons of information in the other forums!
#316 of 575 Old 03-16-2007, 02:14 PM

Seren, if you will be going to baby showers in the future where this woman will be present, I would start searching online for discounted copies of the Sears' Baby Book and give those as shower gifts. Even if this woman isn't going to be there, that book is a nice gift. I have given it in the past to new moms.

I certainly think you should take this new mom aside and just say, "You know, that book you received is really controversial. Please don't take it as 'the absolute truth'. Here are some books that I like better."
#317 of 575 Old 03-16-2007, 03:26 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Laurel View Post
Seren, if you will be going to baby showers in the future where this woman will be present, I would start searching online for discounted copies of the Sears' Baby Book and give those as shower gifts. Even if this woman isn't going to be there, that book is a nice gift. I have given it in the past to new moms.

I certainly think you should take this new mom aside and just say, "You know, that book you received is really controversial. Please don't take it as 'the absolute truth'. Here are some books that I like better."
Try ABEBooks ... I swear by that website.

#318 of 575 Old 03-16-2007, 04:31 PM

I actually hide the BabyWise and Baby Whisperer books at book stores by covering them with The No-Cry Sleep Solution and Happiest Baby On The Block.

Sears has a new book called 25 Things Every New Mother Should Know. It only costs $10 new and a lot less used. It's FANTASTIC, not very long, and I think a great baby shower gift. Though Happiest Baby s also a good book because it's considered "mainstream" but still gves very gentle parenting advice.

PS - remember how I said I left an LDS mamas group because of religious speculation? I was invited back to be a moderator. Bwa ha ha ha ha!!!
#319 of 575 Old 03-16-2007, 06:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ABC's&123's View Post
Oh, hey! Maybe (*I*, mostly... but others who are against CIO possibly) could start giving the Mom a coupon at her baby shower stating that when it's time for the baby to go to sleep on their own- you'll come over and help her! I may really have to consider that, lol. It'd be like a "free babysitting" coupon, but instead a "free teach your child to sleep through the night" coupon? Something like "On baby's first birthday, Super Sleepytime Fairie (me) will arrive at your doorstep with refreshments and reinforcements to gently and painlessly lull baby off to dreamland..." or something goofy like that . Then they wont' be worried about it, they'll be excited about it, and it's my way of controlling all those new babies not having to CIO when I'm not there to "save" them, lol.

Wanna come be my Super Sleepytime Fairie? I'm beyond exhausted. Madalyn is almost 2 and still doesn't sleep through the night. And I won't even get started on the nightweaning battle STILL!!!!!! :

Serenity LDS mommy to 4 rambunctious kidlets
#320 of 575 Old 03-16-2007, 07:28 PM - Thread Starter

This was just in my email:

CHURCH WORKS TO SAVE INFANTS THROUGH NEONATAL RESUSCITATION TRAINING
LDS.org Newsroom

Quote:
SALT LAKE CITY, Utah - Dr. Bulane, a staff physician at the Makoanyane Military Hospital in Maseru, Lesotho, deals daily with a shortage of trained medical personnel and supplies. Because of his concern for high infant mortality, Dr. Bulane registered for a training program in neonatal resuscitation conducted in his community by the Humanitarian Services Division of The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints.
for the Church

#321 of 575 Old 03-16-2007, 08:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by alisaterry View Post
PS - remember how I said I left an LDS mamas group because of religious speculation? I was invited back to be a moderator. Bwa ha ha ha ha!!!
sieve brain here. I don't remember this.
#322 of 575 Old 03-17-2007, 12:34 AM

Just breathing finally after our house was turned upside down with food poisoning...yuck. My brother, his girlfriend and her son were over and brought fast food....think macdonalds, then think cheaper and less quality and you have fast eddies...I am the only one who didn't eat the food, and I am the only one who wasn't throwing up, poor dd1 it is her first time really throwing up(past the baby spit up stage) and she was so freaked out...And then...I realized I was supposed to start af last week....so I took a test, and internet cheapie, that expired in February...it came back positive: . Dh didn't believe it, said the test had to be wrong since it was 2 weeks past date, so my friend brought over a first response which gave a dark positive....wow...HF sure has some plans for our family. If all goes well, God willing, we will have three children with 30 months between oldest and youngest by November...Wow...I am in shock.

Nancy, Mom to Kyra (2005), Zoe (2006), Callie (2007) (2008), and Xavier (2009)
#323 of 575 Old 03-17-2007, 01:09 AM

i read the baby whisperer and i really liked it. i practiced the EASY method with all of my girls and used it for getting kids to sleep on their own. the EASY is nice. it's basically cyclical through the day, E=eat ( feed the baby) A= activity ( do something with the baby) S= sleep ( baby falls asleep) Y= you ( do something for yourself) then when the babe wakes again you do it over and over and over i find that it works nicely, and it incorporates my other kids and since they know what is coming next, they know the babe will eventually take a nap and they will have mom to either help them with something, or watch them play in the tub, or read to them., etc.

and for the sleeping thing. she suggests you place them awake where ever they will sleep,and pat them and do the heartbeat sound, shshshshshshsh until they seem like they are drifting off. then stop, if they cry start all over again. you do that until you can leave the room. you never let them cry, because once they make a peep you start over again. for us, the first night always take a LONG time, like an hour. but no one is crying and they can see and feel and hear you the whole time. eventually you might be able to just either pat their back, or say shshshshsh. and before you know it, you can lay them down and leave the room and they are asleep.

i think it's a nice gentle method and my girls are such great sleepers now. bedtime is NEVER a fight. we don't have crying or screaming, we don't have getting out of bed a million times, or begging for a cup of water or another kiss. they even go to bed easily for family members and babysitters and in strange places. no one in this house has ever cried while trying to fall asleep. and they all co slept until they were at least a year old. two of them stop nursing in the middle of the night pretty early on, mostly because they slept soundly, but also because they sucked their thumbs

i never read babywise, and i don't recall much else from the baby whisperer, but i was really glad that i read that book.

i found out today that both of my visiting teachers are moving one is just moving to another ward, but the other is moving back to utah. i'm sad.

Quote:
Originally Posted by alisaterry View Post
I actually hide the BabyWise and Baby Whisperer books at book stores by covering them with The No-Cry Sleep Solution and Happiest Baby On The Block.

Sears has a new book called 25 Things Every New Mother Should Know. It only costs $10 new and a lot less used. It's FANTASTIC, not very long, and I think a great baby shower gift. Though Happiest Baby s also a good book because it's considered "mainstream" but still gves very gentle parenting advice.

#324 of 575 Old 03-17-2007, 01:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by canadiannancy View Post
Just breathing finally after our house was turned upside down with food poisoning...yuck. My brother, his girlfriend and her son were over and brought fast food....think macdonalds, then think cheaper and less quality and you have fast eddies...I am the only one who didn't eat the food, and I am the only one who wasn't throwing up, poor dd1 it is her first time really throwing up(past the baby spit up stage) and she was so freaked out...And then...I realized I was supposed to start af last week....so I took a test, and internet cheapie, that expired in February...it came back positive: . Dh didn't believe it, said the test had to be wrong since it was 2 weeks past date, so my friend brought over a first response which gave a dark positive....wow...HF sure has some plans for our family. If all goes well, God willing, we will have three children with 30 months between oldest and youngest by November...Wow...I am in shock.
So sorry about the food poisoning for the rest of your family- I had peanut butter food poisoning for months- literally sucked the life out of me!

I know the pregnancy with such younguns seems overwhelming (I'm sure!) but Heavenly Ftaher won't give you more than you can handle- so you KNOW you can do it! Don't forget to ask for blessings if you need them- even comfort blessings from DH can help a lot.

CONGRATULATIONS!!!
#325 of 575 Old 03-17-2007, 07:04 AM

I was researching something else and came across this. I found it to be very poignant. From Joseph Fielding McConkie, Answers:Straightforward Answers To Tough Gospel Questions.

Quote:
If we are going to start praying to "Our Mother in Heaven," we too are going to have to rewrite our scriptures and make fundamental changes in our theology. The salutation with which we address God is the key with which we unlock the door of heaven. Anyone who has attempted to unlock a door with the wrong key can quickly grasp the problem here. We have been repeatedly commanded to pray to the Father and to do so in the name of the Son. These are key words which have been cut to fit the lock. That is, they are in harmony with a host of other theological principles.

For someone to say, "Well, I'm not going to pray the way we have been instructed. I am going to pray to our Mother in Heaven" is no different from someone saying, "Well, I am going to cut my own key. I am going to get into heaven on the merits and mercies of my Heavenly Mother, or Mary, or some other sainted woman. She will be the hope of my salvation rather than the Son of God." It is to be hoped that we will catch ourselves at this point and recognize that something in all this sounds too much like a scenario we have heard before, one that hardly represented light and truth.

To dramatize what is involved here, let us play with the notion that it does not matter whether we pray to our Father or to our Mother in Heaven because what we are attempting to obtain is a perfect equality between men and women. Then let us consider why a woman couldn't confess her sins to the bishop's wife instead of to the bishop. Surely she would better understand the problem from a woman's point of view. Now if the bishop's wife has the authority to remit sins (shared equally with her husband), surely she should also have the authority to call and release people from positions in the ward. The reason for this is obvious: She has insight, as a woman, that her husband, as a man, does not have. Aren't husband and wife supposed to be one, anyway?

Obviously it would be discriminatory to limit the right of shared authority to the bishop's wife, so all women of necessity should be entitled to the authority of their husband's office (and, of course, their husband to theirs). To assure that we do not discriminate against those women who are not married, we would also have to extend to them the same authority.The difficulty is certainly apparent: when everyone in the ward has obtained perfect equality in authority, there is no longer any authority. Every man, woman, and child has become a bishop unto him or herself.
#326 of 575 Old 03-17-2007, 12:58 PM

That is really interesting Alisa, thanks for sharing it!
#327 of 575 Old 03-17-2007, 03:58 PM

I didn't go to the Temple today as planned. I started getting : : last night. It's the season changing and allergies are bothering me big time. So I didn't sleep well, and then with listening to DH snore almost the whole night, I wasn't up to driving. Good thing that 2 of the sisters going with me, one could drive. I felt bad, but not that bad, since I am feeling real bad.

I can't blame Joseph of not sleeping anymore. The boy sleeps all night! He fell asleep last night about 8pm, and was out until I got him up at 5am! Maybe that's good, maybe not, but I am not about to wake a sleeping baby! KWIM? #5 child was an excellent sleeper too. #6 was not...still not that great, but better.

Anyway, so I am hanging out at the house. We are selling DH truck this afternoon. I know it's because I am paying tithing. Someone else said something about being blessed the other day and she knows it was because she was paying her tithing. Long story short (to recap some who don't know it): In 2001, I never turned in my tithing checks. I would hold on to them until "later." Later never came, and DH took the money and put it all down as a down payment on his truck. Horrible year that year for us. Anyway, always have had a problem with paying it until now. I pay it on time, and I am not going to hold out. I did that last year too...and ended up not paying 1/2 of we earned. I am determined this year! I am getting more for my truck then DH asked for, and I am getting a lot back on income tax, and I will have all bills paid except the $3000 in hospital bills, but they don't charge interest. I am so excited!! With my truck payment gone, insurance less, and 6 bills paid in full, I will have more to pay that hospital bill off quickly!

But darn this dang nose! Keeps dripping!! :
#328 of 575 Old 03-17-2007, 05:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LDSmomma6 View Post
Anyway, so I am hanging out at the house. We are selling DH truck this afternoon. I know it's because I am paying tithing. Someone else said something about being blessed the other day and she knows it was because she was paying her tithing. Long story short (to recap some who don't know it): In 2001, I never turned in my tithing checks. I would hold on to them until "later." Later never came, and DH took the money and put it all down as a down payment on his truck. Horrible year that year for us. Anyway, always have had a problem with paying it until now. I pay it on time, and I am not going to hold out. I did that last year too...and ended up not paying 1/2 of we earned. I am determined this year! I am getting more for my truck then DH asked for, and I am getting a lot back on income tax, and I will have all bills paid except the $3000 in hospital bills, but they don't charge interest. I am so excited!! With my truck payment gone, insurance less, and 6 bills paid in full, I will have more to pay that hospital bill off quickly!:
Hope you feel better soon!
It is SUCH a relief to get things paid off. We've always paid tithing- since we got married 11+ years ago, and I'm so glad we never struggled with it. Now I wish we could work more on listening to the Spirit, instead of relying on our own understanding and logic. It's that "logic" of DH' that gets us in trouble a lot, in my opinion.

We're selling a house this Summer (we hope) and will use the money to pay off several things (like our new Camry- new to US, anyway!) and some credit cards we knew better than to use. We've cut up all our credit cards except one, and once the house sells and all the other bills/car are paid off, we'll be able to keep it better under control. I SO cannot wait- it'll be SUCH a relief!
#329 of 575 Old 03-17-2007, 06:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ABC's&123's View Post
We're selling a house this Summer (we hope) and will use the money to pay off several things (like our new Camry- new to US, anyway!) and some credit cards we knew better than to use. We've cut up all our credit cards except one, and once the house sells and all the other bills/car are paid off, we'll be able to keep it better under control. I SO cannot wait- it'll be SUCH a relief!
We've just taken out a consolidation loan for two of our credit cards. So nothing has really changed in terms of how much debt we have, but it feels like we're better off We can't use those cards any more (the accounts have been closed), and the interest rate is better, so I guess we are technically slightly better off

I was browsing a "The Secret" thread today, and some of the posters really strongly believe that we manifest EVERYTHING that happens to us. I don't know if I can go that far with it, but I think a lot of what happens to us is of our own making. On one of my email groups, some people recommended some books that fit in with the law of attraction, but are geared to a gospel perspective. I think I really need to work on thinking positively and believing that I really do deserve to be a SAHM. I do deserve to be out of debt. We do deserve to have enough money to buy the things we want - like healthy food and books/supplies for homeschooling. I've always somehow felt like I either didn't deserve those things (because others are so much worse off), or that it was wrong to expect Heavenly Father to provide those blessings. I'm still not sure; I guess I'm just saying that I'm trying to think more positively about things
#330 of 575 Old 03-17-2007, 07:41 PM

Quote:
I was browsing a "The Secret" thread today, and some of the posters really strongly believe that we manifest EVERYTHING that happens to us. I don't know if I can go that far with it, but I think a lot of what happens to us is of our own making. On one of my email groups, some people recommended some books that fit in with the law of attraction, but are geared to a gospel perspective. I think I really need to work on thinking positively and believing that I really do deserve to be a SAHM. I do deserve to be out of debt. We do deserve to have enough money to buy the things we want - like healthy food and books/supplies for homeschooling. I've always somehow felt like I either didn't deserve those things (because others are so much worse off), or that it was wrong to expect Heavenly Father to provide those blessings. I'm still not sure; I guess I'm just saying that I'm trying to think more positively about things
I was given one of those books you're describing, and some of it made me a bit uncomfortable. It seemed to be saying that any time you are having difficulty, it's because you are either attracting it, or because you are looking at it wrong. Why, then, are there so many talks, lessons, scriptures geared toward trials and adversity? It's an idea that is ingrained into our religious education it seems. And is that because of human failing, or because it really is supposed to be part of our earthly experience? But I do think that putting the principles of thining positively to work has made a difference in my life. I sleep better, and having had insomnia to one degree or another my whole life, that is huge. I also just feel a bit more in control, and less victim-like. I've even applied these affirmations to my body as far as breastfeeding keeping me infertile. So far so good!

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page