LDS Mamas and Papas #39 - Page 3 - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 
Reply
 
Thread Tools
#61 of 575 Old 03-01-2007, 08:54 PM
 
LDSmomma6's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2003
Posts: 2,813
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kelly1216
I don't quite understand your spirtual quest thing. I really don't believe that that would satisfy the commandment to go on a mission, and I really believe that it could open up the potential for your teens to abuse the "paid for" aspect and not really diligently quest. Although, I guess if they choose to take the quest instead of a mission (the easy way out in my opinion) then they probably shouldn't go on a mission b/c they're probably not ready and wouldn't be successful missionaries. I don't mean to offend you in any way, but I just don't see it as a very good idea to offer that.
:
LDSmomma6 is offline  
#62 of 575 Old 03-01-2007, 09:31 PM
 
quarteralien's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: upstate New York
Posts: 2,478
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kelly1216 View Post
Good news for me! I had a talk with dh last night, and he agreed to research and pray about circ'ing a son if we ever have one! I'm stoked that he's willing to do it, and actually gave me the impression that he will probably agree with me that we should not do it! Although, if he legitimately researches, how could he not agree with me! Also, he agreed to pray and research about vaccines (whether delay/selectively or not at all, or or to continue on schedule), although he didn't sound quite as convinced on this one. But he agreed no more chickenpox or flu vaccines, nor the guardisil (sp?). Yay for baby steps!!
I'm making baby steps with my DH too. No circ was his idea, so I didn't have to push for that one! But he is also researching vaxes and like yours already agrees cp, flu and hpv are bad ideas. We'll see about the rest. And he's researching home birth. I am keeping him busy! This last has me worried. I hate New York. It is such a state of fear.
quarteralien is offline  
#63 of 575 Old 03-01-2007, 09:35 PM
 
klg47's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2003
Location: Utah
Posts: 1,655
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by quarteralien View Post
I'm making baby steps with my DH too. No circ was his idea, so I didn't have to push for that one! But he is also researching vaxes and like yours already agrees cp, flu and hpv are bad ideas. We'll see about the rest. And he's researching home birth. I am keeping him busy! This last has me worried. I hate New York. It is such a state of fear.
It's interesting to learn how people respond to things. For instance, pushing/enouraging my dh to research homebirth didn't seem to be getting the response I wanted. When I got pregnant with my 2nd, I made an appointment with a homebirth midwife instead of the CNMs. I didn't ask dh if I could do it, I just did it. I was not secretive about it - he knew she was a homebirth midwife, and he came to all the appointments with me. He never protested against it, so I took that as his acceptance. Now that we've had a homebirth, he's a big advocate He's still uneducated about some things, but it's OK (for instance, he still thinks CNM's are "better" than direct-entry midwives, because they essentially have master's degrees in midwifery).
klg47 is offline  
#64 of 575 Old 03-01-2007, 10:48 PM
 
quarteralien's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: upstate New York
Posts: 2,478
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by klg47 View Post
It's interesting to learn how people respond to things. For instance, pushing/enouraging my dh to research homebirth didn't seem to be getting the response I wanted. When I got pregnant with my 2nd, I made an appointment with a homebirth midwife instead of the CNMs. I didn't ask dh if I could do it, I just did it. I was not secretive about it - he knew she was a homebirth midwife, and he came to all the appointments with me. He never protested against it, so I took that as his acceptance. Now that we've had a homebirth, he's a big advocate He's still uneducated about some things, but it's OK (for instance, he still thinks CNM's are "better" than direct-entry midwives, because they essentially have master's degrees in midwifery).
And are schooled in the medical model before they have that masters'. I'm thinking that's what's going to have to happen for us too. Problem is, there aren't any legal homebirth midwives in our part of the state. No doctor here will back them up, so they work underground. But that isn't the real reason UC appeals to me. I'm willing to consider a midwife for DH's sake, but he knows I can't stand the thought of going to a hospital again. *sigh* I shouldn't worry about this now. I'm still infertile : but I don't like wondering how we will work this out next time. I'm sure he'll come around though. We wives just have to take the lead sometimes. I hope my DH joins yours in advocacy.
quarteralien is offline  
#65 of 575 Old 03-01-2007, 11:05 PM
 
holyhelianthus's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: the Southern California desert
Posts: 11,082
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
missions are not for everyone. it's not a popular truth, but it is one. there can be several reasons why someone feels a mission isn't for them and every single one is valid because it is them we're talking about, not us. i understand we have commandments and the boys have been encouraged to serve a full time mission, but it's not always best or even doable for all. i knew a guy who was told 'oh you *must* go on a mission! you simply *have* to! it's a commandment and anything else would be wrong.' he just didn't feel like he should, but trusted in that it was his duty. he had a nervous breakdown while on his mission and fell into a deep depression. he was sent home early. of course there were those who wouldn't support that because he should have 'toughed it out' and 'not taken the easy path' etc etc. surprise surprise, he is now no longer a member where he had once been so faithful. being told something like a mission in the church is totally doable for everyone and a *must* and then having it blow up in your face when you *knew* it wasn't for you but were force fed the idea it was is enough to shake anyone to the core. i will encourage my sons (ha! like i will ever have them!) and my daughters to go on missions, IF THEY SO CHOSE. i will not tell them they *have to* because that just isn't true. they need to do what they feel is best. if one is extremely uncomfortable with the idea of a mission, force is going to back fire. even if it's 'forceful encouragement'. just thought i'd throw that out there.

Emma- may i ask what sort of spiritual retreat? to me, a mission is just that and the opportunity to bring other's into the fold. share in the wealth of the gospel. i, personally, would not choose one over the other if both options were available. my children might, but i'm not paying for it. truth be told, a mission might not be affordable for us either. they might have to put themselves through that, too. : just curious what sort and why you feel the need to 'think outside the box'? do you not think a mission is spiritually fulfilling for those who serve?

Maggie, blissfully married mama of 5 little ladies on my own little path. homeschool.gif gd.gifRainbow.gif
holyhelianthus is offline  
#66 of 575 Old 03-01-2007, 11:21 PM
 
ABC's&123's's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Posts: 193
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Leiahs View Post
I just don't want to subject my son(s) to unnecessary procedures based on a blanket rule for all missionaries. But I also don't want to make life difficult for them by trying to get around it all.
Well... I guess I figure if it's a rule for all missionaries, then the Lord Himself must agree with it, or have made it a rule Himself. Also, the young man can decide for himself, can't he? He will be the age of majority BEFORE he even puts in paper to serve a mission- so I suppose he can decide for himself. If it's a big deal to him not to have vax's or wisdom teeth removed, then he can forgo the mission if he chooses.

I know epsecially if my son was going to another country I'd definitely make sure his vaccinations were up to date- I just couldn't stand it if he caught some horrible disease that could have totally been prevented. Also those wisdom teeth would come out- because even though the removal of mine was horrible and recovery was worse- they were killing me for several years before I finally had them removed. I just wish we'd done it while I was still in highschool with a dentist I knew and trusted, instead of having to have it done at BYU with the fruitloop that did it!

That's just my two cents worth, as usual. :

~A.
ABC's&123's is offline  
#67 of 575 Old 03-01-2007, 11:34 PM
 
Stacymom's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2002
Posts: 1,867
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by quarteralien View Post
I'm making baby steps with my DH too. No circ was his idea, so I didn't have to push for that one! But he is also researching vaxes and like yours already agrees cp, flu and hpv are bad ideas. We'll see about the rest. And he's researching home birth.
Isn't it funny? When I think about all the changes in thought and philosophy that my dh and I have gone through in the seven years we've been married, I have to laugh. I had a friend who had a homebirth 5 or so year ago, and I thought she was incredibly crazy! And look at me now!

My dh has been adamantly opposed to homebirth, and irate when the topic of not circ'ing came up. It really is a good thing we have two girls, because I don't think I would have been able to do anything about it up till now. But the rule we made is that neither of us is allowed to unilaterally make a decision that affects both of us, and we either both need to research and come to a conclusion together, or the one who has done the most study gets to make the decision. For example, he was furious when I even mentioned not circ'ing, but refused to read about it, study it, or even talk about it. Its taken me four years, and my dh;s best friend being intact before not circ'ing any boys became a reality.

As far as hb, I've been working that angle for a long time too. DH didn't even want to talk about it when I first found out I was pregnant with this baby. I made a phone call to a mdwife anyway. It took some gentle manipulation, but I told dh that he had a duty to me to at least meet with a midwife. I told him that after peppering her with all the questions he could think of, if he still didn't feel comfortable with the decsion, then we could reevaluate. Luckily, the meeting went well, and I think dh started to see that it really did mean a lot to me and consented. In the past few weeks, I think he's really started to see the advantages of it.

On a totally separate topic, anyonein need of a slightly used 5 1/2 yr old girl who, although very bright, apparantly has no ablilty to follow simple household rules or be obedient?

Violin teaching, doula-ing Mom to Abby, (8) Ashlynn, (6) : and Max (11/13/08) Diagnosed with Metopic Craniosynostosis. First surgery 5/1/09, Second surgery March 2010.
Stacymom is offline  
#68 of 575 Old 03-01-2007, 11:37 PM
 
LDSmomma6's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2003
Posts: 2,813
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by ABC's&123's
Well... I guess I figure if it's a rule for all missionaries, then the Lord Himself must agree with it, or have made it a rule Himself. Also, the young man can decide for himself, can't he? He will be the age of majority BEFORE he even puts in paper to serve a mission- so I suppose he can decide for himself. If it's a big deal to him not to have vax's or wisdom teeth removed, then he can forgo the mission if he chooses.

I know epsecially if my son was going to another country I'd definitely make sure his vaccinations were up to date- I just couldn't stand it if he caught some horrible disease that could have totally been prevented. Also those wisdom teeth would come out- because even though the removal of mine was horrible and recovery was worse- they were killing me for several years before I finally had them removed. I just wish we'd done it while I was still in highschool with a dentist I knew and trusted, instead of having to have it done at BYU with the fruitloop that did it!
Well said!
LDSmomma6 is offline  
#69 of 575 Old 03-01-2007, 11:39 PM
 
LDSmomma6's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2003
Posts: 2,813
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stacymom
On a totally separate topic, anyonein need of a slightly used 5 1/2 yr old girl who, although very bright, apparantly has no ablilty to follow simple household rules or be obedient?
You have one too? Mine is driving me freakin' crazy!! :
LDSmomma6 is offline  
#70 of 575 Old 03-02-2007, 12:31 AM
 
marlygf's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2003
Location: Salt Lake City, UT
Posts: 1,472
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
You know this whole discussion about missions has been interesting to me. I believe they actually changed the rules. Don't quote me on this but I believe that have to have read the Bible and BoM all the way through and have the testimony before they go. With the whole "it's commnadment" a lot of guys were going who were serious. For instance, dh had a companion who went to movies. Was that why his parents were paying for him to go on a mission? I mean a mission is supposed to be for our spirtual growth. We need to be prepared and we need to want to do it. There are those who don't want to go and really should, for their own spirituality. You really need to pray about it and find out what is best for you.

Like some of us have said, getting your wisdom teeth out isn't a law and neither is getting the vax's done. HF knows who we are and he knows there are things more important than whether we want to get a vax or not. And that's why I'm saying he knows us. If we have gotten an answer not to vaxed than he will work it out. If we've gotten an answer to vax, they will work it out.

I can bring something else up others feel is important to who we are but I don't care about. i don't care if my boys are eagles. i don't care if they do scouts. I personally feel I can teach my kids these things. Being an Eagle doesn't get you further in life like the leaders try to tell you. My aunt had this rule that her boys couldn't get their licenses unless they get their eagle. I personally don't care
marlygf is offline  
#71 of 575 Old 03-02-2007, 12:33 AM
 
intorainbowz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Crying into my Diet Coke.
Posts: 3,047
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by LDSmomma6 View Post
You have one too? Mine is driving me freakin' crazy!! :
I have an extremely cute baby who has an ear infection and is teething...

Nah, the price would be too high for anyone....
intorainbowz is offline  
#72 of 575 Old 03-02-2007, 01:03 AM
 
Leiahs's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: Colorado
Posts: 1,692
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
My mommy brain had me totally forgetting about the idea of a young man actually being able to be a grown up and make his own decisions in preparation for a mission. It's hard to think of my son beyond the 18 month old demanding toddler that he is Of course, he will be able to make his own decisions by the time he is ready for a mission, and he'll be able to pray for himself and figure out what works for him.

And yes, the guidelines for a mission have changed quite a bit. Not everyone who even wants to go will be deemed worthy to go. They really are expected to be much more spiritually prepared. The word valiant comes to mind. They can't just be good boys who aren't doing anything wrong. They need to be so much more, now...really cream of the crop. That's the impression I remember feeling, at least, when they discussed these changes (in general conference, wasn't it?). I guess that makes my job as the mom so much more demanding, too - I really need to make sure I'm actively teaching the gospel in our home, and emulating its principles and being a good example.

SAHM to Melinda (Oct '03), Jacob (Aug '05),  Alex (Apr '08), and baby.gif Malcolm (Sept 29, '11)

Leiahs is offline  
#73 of 575 Old 03-02-2007, 01:16 AM
 
klg47's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2003
Location: Utah
Posts: 1,655
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by ABC's&123's View Post
I'd definitely make sure his vaccinations were up to date- I just couldn't stand it if he caught some horrible disease that could have totally been prevented.
The thing you have to understand about those who choose not to vaccinate is that they're not afraid of vaccine-preventable diseases, nor do they believe that the vaccines will necessarily prevent the diseases. If they are scared of the diseases, and they think that vaccines will prevent them, they should be vaccinating!
klg47 is offline  
#74 of 575 Old 03-02-2007, 01:26 AM
 
Laurel's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2002
Location: Western U.S.
Posts: 2,167
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I used to not care one way the other about scouting until I got called to be a Cub den leader. (Even though I came from a scouting family.) Now, I definitely see the value of scouting for boys. I like it because it gives boys the chance to delve into a lot of different areas of potential interest. It seems like otherwise all young boys are into is sports, and maybe occasionally music. In Cub Scouting, they get chances to explore many different areas of interest, and in Boy Scouting, they get to dig deeper and gain expertise in these areas. Scouting also teaches values that are consistent with the gospel. I don't think I would make earning the Eagle a requirement for anything else, but I would defintely encourage my sons to earn it. I think that working so hard on any long-term, difficult goal would be helpful to a young man. (And a young woman, too.) Plus, the Eagle projects are always service-oriented, and I think it's really good for these young men to devote significant time and effort toward an effort that helps the community or a person in need. I'd like to think I could structure those opportunities for my kids, but in reality I know it wouldn't happen. I know myself.

It is true that the standards for missionaries have been made higher, and I think that is a good thing. I also think the decision to go must ultimately be up to the young man or woman. However, I do see it as more than just one of several good choices. I see it as a priesthood obligation for young men, and the decision to not go would be an extremely serious decision, not just, "Oh, I don't feel like it, I want to go to school, it would be too hard." I don't think that the primary purpose of a mission to to be a spiritual quest, though there is defintely great spiritual growth that comes from it. The purpose is to fulfill the obligation to take the gospel to the ends of the earth. Many of the blessings of missions come through sacrifice, humility, and obedience (obedience to the call to go, and obedience while there), and it's hard for me to see other, more self-driven "quests" filling those criteria. Choosing your spiritual quest is much different than submitting to go where you're called, and submitting to the leadership of others while you are there. To me, part of the value of the mission experience is that you don't get to pick what you will do or where you will go. You don't bail out when it stops being fun or fulfilling (of course I'm not referring to legitimate health issues or big trials that necessitate coming home). But I can see myself going on my own spiritual quest that was of my own doing, and bailing right out or changing my course when the going got tough.

Now, my mission wasn't necessarily the happiest, most wonderful experience. I battled depression the whole time. I went to a mission with many disobedient missionaries (which is a lot why I think the obedience aspect is SO important!), and it disillusioned me. It wasn't until I got home and had roommates whose missions were so much different that I stopped feeling so cynical. My mission was still valuable in helping me be who I am today, and I was still blessed for going. I really didn't want to go, but when I was 21, I had some very spiritual experiences letting me know that it was where I was supposed to be.
Laurel is offline  
#75 of 575 Old 03-02-2007, 02:10 AM - Thread Starter
 
NewCrunchyDaddy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: The Burrow
Posts: 2,649
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by magstphil View Post
missions are not for everyone. it's not a popular truth, but it is one.
It's true. That's why a couple of years ago the Church tightened the standards for going on a mission. The thing is ... the Bishop (if he's doing his job right) is supposed to interview every 18 yo and ask them if they've thought of a mission and discuss with them the pros and cons of serving a mission and help them feel prepared if they don't.

Quote:
Originally Posted by magstphil View Post
i will encourage my sons (ha! like i will ever have them!) and my daughters to go on missions, IF THEY SO CHOSE. i will not tell them they *have to* because that just isn't true.
That's exactly it. That's what I plan to do with DS and every other one our children (when they come). It's as Joseph Smith said: "I teach them correct principles and they govern themselves." If I have done my job properly as a parent in the Gospel when DS turns 19 he should have the idea of going on a mission in the back of his head already and know that it is something that he needs to decide to do. Whether or not he goes is up to him. I can't force him to follow a commandment of the Lord.

Quote:
Originally Posted by magstphil View Post
truth be told, a mission might not be affordable for us either.
If this is true, Mags, then that is what the Missionary Fund is for. The Bishop and the Ward/Branch and the Church should be able to help.

"A mind needs books as a sword needs a whetstone, if it is to keep its edge." - Tyrion Lannister

NewCrunchyDaddy is offline  
#76 of 575 Old 03-02-2007, 09:52 AM
 
Brisen's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Location: Eastern Ontario
Posts: 6,874
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Stacymom, thanks for the good wishes. I'm doing well so far; I'm further along in a pg than I've been since M was born, so I'm starting to think that this pg might actually stick. But the time is going sooooo sloooooowly.

Mom to DS(14), DS(12), DD(9), DS(6), DS (4), and DS(2)  

***4***8****13***17***21****26***heartbeat.gif****35****40

Brisen is offline  
#77 of 575 Old 03-02-2007, 10:02 AM
 
holyhelianthus's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: the Southern California desert
Posts: 11,082
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by marlygf View Post
You know this whole discussion about missions has been interesting to me. I believe they actually changed the rules. Don't quote me on this but I believe that have to have read the Bible and BoM all the way through and have the testimony before they go. With the whole "it's commnadment" a lot of guys were going who were serious. For instance, dh had a companion who went to movies. Was that why his parents were paying for him to go on a mission? I mean a mission is supposed to be for our spirtual growth. We need to be prepared and we need to want to do it. There are those who don't want to go and really should, for their own spirituality. You really need to pray about it and find out what is best for you.
this just reminded me of when i went to live with my aunt. my cousins lived together, on their own and i would spend the weekends with them. well they were showing me these pictures of all their friends sitting around and drinking. they were naming them all off but they skipped over two. so i asked who they were. turns out they were missionaries who had come to their door (cousins are members but don't want to be). they would party together an one missionary had a relationship with one of their friends, sexual in nature. before i came he was sent home. i was 15 at the time and never ever thought something like that could happen.

Maggie, blissfully married mama of 5 little ladies on my own little path. homeschool.gif gd.gifRainbow.gif
holyhelianthus is offline  
#78 of 575 Old 03-02-2007, 10:07 AM
 
holyhelianthus's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: the Southern California desert
Posts: 11,082
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by NewCrunchyDaddy View Post
It's true. That's why a couple of years ago the Church tightened the standards for going on a mission. The thing is ... the Bishop (if he's doing his job right) is supposed to interview every 18 yo and ask them if they've thought of a mission and discuss with them the pros and cons of serving a mission and help them feel prepared if they don't.
yes. unfortunately some still feel the need to put the pressure on, which is a disservice, IMO.

Quote:
That's exactly it. That's what I plan to do with DS and every other one our children (when they come). It's as Joseph Smith said: "I teach them correct principles and they govern themselves." If I have done my job properly as a parent in the Gospel when DS turns 19 he should have the idea of going on a mission in the back of his head already and know that it is something that he needs to decide to do. Whether or not he goes is up to him. I can't force him to follow a commandment of the Lord.
just word everything better than me, that's fine.

Quote:
If this is true, Mags, then that is what the Missionary Fund is for. The Bishop and the Ward/Branch and the Church should be able to help.
i have heard of this. it's pretty sad because we don't have to rely on other's the the church to do something that is *our* responsibility. we're hoping, by then IF it even happens, that we'll be able to pay for most if not all. don't even get me started on college! : DH says that whenever missions come up he is thankful to have 3 girls. i gently remind him that they can still go.

Maggie, blissfully married mama of 5 little ladies on my own little path. homeschool.gif gd.gifRainbow.gif
holyhelianthus is offline  
#79 of 575 Old 03-02-2007, 10:17 AM
 
seren's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Location: Arkansas
Posts: 3,774
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by magstphil View Post
this just reminded me of when i went to live with my aunt. my cousins lived together, on their own and i would spend the weekends with them. well they were showing me these pictures of all their friends sitting around and drinking. they were naming them all off but they skipped over two. so i asked who they were. turns out they were missionaries who had come to their door (cousins are members but don't want to be). they would party together an one missionary had a relationship with one of their friends, sexual in nature. before i came he was sent home. i was 15 at the time and never ever thought something like that could happen.

I've heard some awful stories about missionaries from dh. There was one set where he was that brought him and his companion donuts one day. After they had eaten them the other missionaries laughed and threw polaroid pics on the table and left. When dh and his copm looked at them, they were picks of the other two missionaries masturbating with the donuts.

We had some missionaries here a few years ago. We liked them at first, but as they were here for dinner we started liking them less and less. One of them had been shotgunned from his previous area because he and his companion would spend the night at someone house while his companion slept with his girlfriend. THe one with the girlfriend was sent home. When the other one was here with his new comp they would tell us things they would do. Every Sunday night they would go *undercover* with a local baptist church youth roller skating. They said they went undercover so they could ask the kids questions to make them question their own religion, but I'm not so sure that is true. Dh and I totally did not feel great having them in our home. The spirit changed and not like it usually does when the missionaries come. THe one elder was eventually sent home, too. My parents love him. They get so excited when he comes to visit. My mom calls me all excited and just doesn't get it when I really don't care. Oh well.

Serenity LDS mommy to 4 rambunctious kidlets
seren is offline  
#80 of 575 Old 03-02-2007, 10:25 AM
 
seren's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Location: Arkansas
Posts: 3,774
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Oh and about teaching kids about missions. I was always told we teach our children that they will serve missions. It was explained to me that the prophet says they serve missions and we obey the prophet, so it's taught like that. Just like paying tithing, going to church, getting married in the temple, etc. Obviously we haven't gotten that far yet, so I don't know.

Serenity LDS mommy to 4 rambunctious kidlets
seren is offline  
#81 of 575 Old 03-02-2007, 11:34 AM - Thread Starter
 
NewCrunchyDaddy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: The Burrow
Posts: 2,649
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by magstphil View Post
this just reminded me of when i went to live with my aunt. my cousins lived together, on their own and i would spend the weekends with them. well they were showing me these pictures of all their friends sitting around and drinking. they were naming them all off but they skipped over two. so i asked who they were. turns out they were missionaries who had come to their door (cousins are members but don't want to be). they would party together an one missionary had a relationship with one of their friends, sexual in nature. before i came he was sent home. i was 15 at the time and never ever thought something like that could happen.
Quote:
Originally Posted by seren View Post
I've heard some awful stories about missionaries from dh. There was one set where he was that brought him and his companion donuts one day. After they had eaten them the other missionaries laughed and threw polaroid pics on the table and left. When dh and his copm looked at them, they were picks of the other two missionaries masturbating with the donuts.

We had some missionaries here a few years ago. We liked them at first, but as they were here for dinner we started liking them less and less. One of them had been shotgunned from his previous area because he and his companion would spend the night at someone house while his companion slept with his girlfriend. THe one with the girlfriend was sent home. When the other one was here with his new comp they would tell us things they would do. Every Sunday night they would go *undercover* with a local baptist church youth roller skating. They said they went undercover so they could ask the kids questions to make them question their own religion, but I'm not so sure that is true. Dh and I totally did not feel great having them in our home. The spirit changed and not like it usually does when the missionaries come. THe one elder was eventually sent home, too. My parents love him. They get so excited when he comes to visit. My mom calls me all excited and just doesn't get it when I really don't care. Oh well.
Oh, don't even get me started on some of the stupid things the Elders and Sisters did in my mission in Brasil ... and definitely don't get DW started!

"A mind needs books as a sword needs a whetstone, if it is to keep its edge." - Tyrion Lannister

NewCrunchyDaddy is offline  
#82 of 575 Old 03-02-2007, 12:10 PM
 
quarteralien's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: upstate New York
Posts: 2,478
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by klg47 View Post
The thing you have to understand about those who choose not to vaccinate is that they're not afraid of vaccine-preventable diseases, nor do they believe that the vaccines will necessarily prevent the diseases. If they are scared of the diseases, and they think that vaccines will prevent them, they should be vaccinating!
: In weighing risks and benefits, most non-vaxers believe that the vaccines truly are riskier than the diseases/poor outcomes from catching the diseases/even catching the disease itself, depending on which disease you are talking about. It isn't that they put stock in the herd immunity theory, or will trust that modern medicine will step in and save the day. As I mentioned before, I used to believe that vaccines were the reason we were so healthy today. But a few visits to the vaccine forum here and other research on websites and in books from the library shifted my viewpoint.
quarteralien is offline  
#83 of 575 Old 03-02-2007, 12:14 PM
 
quarteralien's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: upstate New York
Posts: 2,478
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by seren View Post
I've heard some awful stories about missionaries from dh. There was one set where he was that brought him and his companion donuts one day. After they had eaten them the other missionaries laughed and threw polaroid pics on the table and left. When dh and his copm looked at them, they were picks of the other two missionaries masturbating with the donuts.
:Puke This discussion on missions has certainly been enlightening. I'm sure that missions can be wonderful spiritual experiences for missionaries, their families, and those they come in contact with. I just hope these stories you have all been sharing are the minority of missionaries.
quarteralien is offline  
#84 of 575 Old 03-02-2007, 12:14 PM
 
Laurel's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2002
Location: Western U.S.
Posts: 2,167
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Agh, these stories make me sick, even though there were similar happenings in my mission. It's hard enough for the concept of missionary work to be accepted by those not of our faith (it's one of the things we are judged the harshest for) without having stuff like this to make things even worse.

If you are a member and you witness behavior like this from missionaries, report it! Report it! The Church cannot afford to have people like this representing us! I think missionaries need accountability, but mission presidents can't do anything without specific information. I wish that I had been braver on my own mission in reporting wrongdoing. I tried at times, but since I was afraid to give specifics, it never went anywhere. (The group mentality in the mission field can be very strong--the peer pressure is extremely intense.)
Laurel is offline  
#85 of 575 Old 03-02-2007, 12:40 PM
 
LDSmomma6's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2003
Posts: 2,813
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
DH said that I was *known* in the mission! WHY? Because I would flirt some? He said their were stories that I kissed missionaries, etc... BUT, I NEVER DID!! I did have a friend who did get caught making-out with one. There was an elder back in 1987 who really liked me. And he let me know he liked me. He was transferred from my ward, and I never heard from him again. Before he left though, he had his companion take a few pictures of he and I. Nothing bad. Just standing in the front yard with him. Anyway, he did give me a few of those pictures. So he was transferred, and a year later, was back in my ward!! He was really rude to me. Come to find out, he already had another girl he liked. And a few more in other areas too.

I did meet DH while on his mission. DH wasn't transferred into my ward until he had 3 months left. We talked some, but by then (2 yrs later from that one elder), I wasn't flirting with the elders anymore. They got old. But DH called me a week after going home to see if I would like to go out (BTW...this was the Tx SA Mission) and he (and we now) lived in Arkansas, above the Tx border (In fact, we go to church in Tx). It wasn't a far drive...only 5 1/2 hrs. I went out with him, and the rest is history... :

But I have heard countless stories from DH, of elders who did things on their missions like drink, smoke, sex, etc... My DH did leave the mission area once, and almost got caught. His dad kept calling their apt. and when he had tried all day, he finally called the mission home. The AP were there first thing the next morning. DH blamed the phone, which he swears was not working. BUT, he did leave the mission, and he and his companion went to an airshow. He has since told his dad. We haven't told DS.

We will probably tell DS of things that might happen in the mission field. I just hope DS will not be that way. He isn't a wild child, so I hope he won't, but you never know. And if he does, I don't want to know! :
LDSmomma6 is offline  
#86 of 575 Old 03-02-2007, 12:46 PM - Thread Starter
 
NewCrunchyDaddy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: The Burrow
Posts: 2,649
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Laurel View Post
If you are a member and you witness behavior like this from missionaries, report it! Report it! The Church cannot afford to have people like this representing us! I think missionaries need accountability, but mission presidents can't do anything without specific information. I wish that I had been braver on my own mission in reporting wrongdoing. I tried at times, but since I was afraid to give specifics, it never went anywhere. (The group mentality in the mission field can be very strong--the peer pressure is extremely intense.)
I second that!

"A mind needs books as a sword needs a whetstone, if it is to keep its edge." - Tyrion Lannister

NewCrunchyDaddy is offline  
#87 of 575 Old 03-02-2007, 02:16 PM
 
marlygf's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2003
Location: Salt Lake City, UT
Posts: 1,472
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I think that's the biggest thing to realize about missionaries. They aren't perfect. When I was growing up, these guys were in the mentality "I'll do it today and repent tomorrow" for some reason repentance is hard for teenagers to comprehend. That's why I love that they changed the rules. You really have to be good to go. I mean it still doesn't mean they're all perfect, but at least they read what they're teaching. It's the same with the lessons. They are supposed to use the spirit so much more. you have to be able to know how to use the spirit or people won't be baptized. It's just really sad that there are those who were jerks before and went to be jerks on the mission. It is a minority I believe, but it does happen and those missionaries need to be dealt with and not just slapped on the hand.

Brisen and Stacy, I like that I'm sick because I know I'm pregnant. I'm supposed to try to hear the hb on the 13th, at 9 weeks. But I hate this. I can't eat anything. Nothing sounds good, but if I don't eat, then I'm even worse. This is just annoying. I'm also feeling really nasty. I need to exercise, but when I do I can't catch my breath. This is so annoying. I'm also not looking forward to telling everyone. I don't know why, I just don't want to. I told our parents and a few friends know, but for some reason I don't want to tell anyone else.
marlygf is offline  
#88 of 575 Old 03-02-2007, 03:09 PM
 
quarteralien's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: upstate New York
Posts: 2,478
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by marlygf View Post
I'm also not looking forward to telling everyone. I don't know why, I just don't want to. I told our parents and a few friends know, but for some reason I don't want to tell anyone else.
So don't. They don't need to know. I was halfway through my pregnancy with DS before someone jokingly asked if I was, and I had to say yes. I liked not having the annoying questions you get over and over, and it made the pregnancy go faster, I think. Your pregnant state is on a need to know basis!
quarteralien is offline  
#89 of 575 Old 03-02-2007, 03:17 PM
 
marlygf's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2003
Location: Salt Lake City, UT
Posts: 1,472
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Maybe I will do that. It would be nice to not have to talk to people about it. I was never like this with the other two, but for some reason I am now.
There's this girl in my ward, pregnant with her first and due this month. Last Sunday everyone was looking at her all sympathetic. "How are you hanging in there?" UGH, so annoying. I mean I'm pregnant for crying out loud. I'm fine. She still has two weeks until 40. I told her I went to 42 with my first. Not sure that helped, but I thought I'd tell her it's ok
marlygf is offline  
#90 of 575 Old 03-02-2007, 03:54 PM
 
guestmama9911's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2005
Posts: 3,399
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Missions separate the wheat from the tares. Period. But even before the new rues were established, only 1/3 of the eligible young men were serving missions. So yes I intend to teach my son about his duty to serve a mission, as NCD explained, but I also want to each him that if he can't go, or itdoesn't turn out as planned, that it isn't an early judgment, that he hasn't ruined his whole life and should stop trying.

My Dad always said that missionaries live their lives the way they live their missions, and when I got sent home early for severe depression (which I still have 9 years later) I was so afraid of his judgment that my mission president called my stake president and had him talk with my Dad and step-mom to let them know that what I had was medical. Still, the refused to help me in any way, and I had to struggle through a part-time job to pay for my own treatments. If I had bought into the idea that I had failed God, which I sill believe sometimes, I would have definitely stopped trying. Going back to my old life before the Church would have been easy and comforting and full of people who accepted me.

But the Atonement covers all our sins and weaknesses and illnesses. According to President Kimball in The Miracle of Forgiveness, even murderers can improve their lot in the next life through scripture study, prayer, and a return to compassionate living. He specifically stated that every single scripture we read helps us.

So anyone can overcome not serving a mission or serving a bad one, if hey have faith. I actually slapped a missionary on my mission because he called my companion a whore for chastising him for dancing with the girls. I HATED my mission and am not surprised I had a permanent break down from it.

But I loved actual missionary work, and loved France, and loved the people, and loved their stories and their chocolate croissants and their many little yappy dogs and lilac trees and cobblestone streets. I just can't echo President Hinckley and say that everything good in my life can be traced back to my mission. And if my son can't either, I want him to believe that's alright.
guestmama9911 is offline  
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Drag and Drop File Upload
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.



User Tag List

Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page


Forum Jump: 

Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off