LDS Mamas and Papas #39 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 02-28-2007, 05:07 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Well, everyone, we did 27 pages and 523 posts in less than a month , and so I thought it was time to start a new thread rather than let the other one get too out of control (though I shouldn't be online right now I should be reading The Ox-Bow Incident for my Studies in the American Novel class and I'm putting it off

Anyway, new thread ... everyone go nuts!

"A mind needs books as a sword needs a whetstone, if it is to keep its edge." - Tyrion Lannister

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-28-2007, 05:31 AM

The Church is sill true in the Terry household.

Also, we're all still sick. But slowly getting better. DS has been nursing like a newborn, though, so it's hard for me to get enough rest to recover, myself.

There's a dent on my couch where my butt has been sitting since Sunday.
Old 02-28-2007, 11:04 AM

Some of my kids have the hacking cough. I hate it when kids start getting sick especially at the times when the seasons start changing!

Heidi, almost 37, 7 children, SAHM, going crazy as usual!

Notice my new siggy? :
Old 02-28-2007, 01:30 PM

at your sig, Heidi.

to the Terry family! hope you guys get better soon. and stay faaaaar from me!

question- do your/did your 3 year olds get anything out of 'Friend'? i just subed for Lily and now am thinking it was a bit premature.

Maggie, blissfully married mama of 5 little ladies on my own little path. homeschool.gif gd.gifRainbow.gif
Old 02-28-2007, 01:46 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Re the Friend -- it is nice to have around and get into the habit of looking at it at that age, I think. Plus, you'll have back issues for when she gets older and finishes all of the puzzles/funstuff before the end of the month.

Mom to DS(14), DS(12), DD(9), DS(6), DS (4), and DS(2)  

***4***8****13***17***21****26***heartbeat.gif****35****40

Old 02-28-2007, 02:00 PM

Oh I just remembered Savana has a talk on SUnday. i know I'll forget. Anyone here wanna remind me?

We had a really rough afternoon yesterday, things got worse again. But i think we have started to figure things out. I also had a huge epiphany regarding my miscarriages. I feel so much better now!

Do we need to do intros again or are we good?

Serenity LDS mommy to 4 rambunctious kidlets
Old 02-28-2007, 02:46 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by seren View Post
Do we need to do intros again or are we good?
I think we're good.

"A mind needs books as a sword needs a whetstone, if it is to keep its edge." - Tyrion Lannister

Old 02-28-2007, 02:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brisen
Re the Friend -- it is nice to have around and get into the habit of looking at it at that age, I think. Plus, you'll have back issues for when she gets older and finishes all of the puzzles/funstuff before the end of the month.
:

Plus it'll get her in the habit to look for the CTR ring!! My 3 yr old loves looking for it.
Old 02-28-2007, 03:08 PM

so i should be keeping my old church magazines?
i have an issue with keeping stuff. i throw/give everything away. comes from my mom and grandpa having more space reserved in our home for junk collected over the years then for us people. that includes my grandpa's old magazines. :

Maggie, blissfully married mama of 5 little ladies on my own little path. homeschool.gif gd.gifRainbow.gif
Old 02-28-2007, 03:23 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by magstphil View Post
so i should be keeping my old church magazines?
i have an issue with keeping stuff. i throw/give everything away. comes from my mom and grandpa having more space reserved in our home for junk collected over the years then for us people. that includes my grandpa's old magazines. :
The only Church magazines we keep are the Conference Issues, though that may be changing now with it all available online...

Old 02-28-2007, 03:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NewCrunchyDaddy View Post
The only Church magazines we keep are the Conference Issues, though that may be changing now with it all available online...
we have thought about saving the conference ones and putting them in storage 'just in case'. we figure if we need to break into our storage then more than likey we aren't makng it to church and will need some church material.

Old 02-28-2007, 03:39 PM

I don't keep the magazines because they are online and I just can't have a lot of things. I am a stacker and it's something I have to control. if I keep one thing, I will keep everything so I make myself get rid of everything I do recycle them!

So I'm really ticked off. Dh called me last Thursday and asked if I wanted to go to Baltimore and DC and I asked why He said they were sending him there for work and he was going to have to ride the train because he had to take this box with him and it's very fragile. They said they would pay for me to go but not the kids. We worked it all out and I kept bawling because I'd never left the kids for that long. (I've really only done a night and I called every hour) so I dropped the kids off Monday night and we were catching our train Tuesday morning at 3:45am. We get there at 2:45 and the guy tells us it's late. It got stuck at Donners pass and was 12 hours late, wouldn't leave until Tuesday afternoon. Then he sees our box and tells us it's way too big (dh told them it needed to be smaller but they said they'd try anyway) We came home and slept.

When we got up at 10:00 and called to check on the status of the train our tickets had been cancelled. I understand it was a half day late so the schedule wouldn't have worked out but I just didn't realize how much I wanted to go on this trip with dh. When we came home Tuesday night from picking up the kids I got really mad my oldest ds (he wanted his pj's on and was waking up his brother freaking out about it) I just flipped. I felt so bad. I didn't realize how much I wanted to go on this trip with dh. I always love doing things with the kids, but with this new baby coming I was thinking it would be a good thing for us because we would have another soon after and not be able to do anything together for another 5 years.

Anyway, I just wanted to share what's new with me and how I was just sad it didn't work out. We're hoping we can try again. They're going to drive this one there and dh will fly there Sunday-Tuesday to install it, but he's supposed to be designing a smaller box to take by train again.

Marly
Old 02-28-2007, 03:40 PM

Hi All,
I think I posted on here once, but I do actually have a question now.

This regards vaccines and church missions. Does anyone know if your ds or dd has to have vaccines to go on a mission? Or can you exempt?

Thanks

- Crystal, mom to 4 kiddos expecting #5 very soon . We are a , , , , and family
Old 02-28-2007, 03:55 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
im here too, carrie ~ mama to 4, crunchy at heart...trying to match the actions to the beliefs...those cloth diapers keep staring at me from the shelf! I've been carrying the household load myself as dh just started working swing shift but it turned out to be more like a graveyard 5pm-3am....it just sucks and now he is going to try to get back on days or look for yet another job. we have been thru the ringer with employment issues this past year. My laundry is piled high, the dishwasher broke, my back is broke, and Im feeling really : : right now....maybe thats why Im ONLINE....the big escape!
Old 02-28-2007, 04:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cjarvis View Post
Hi All,

This regards vaccines and church missions. Does anyone know if your ds or dd has to have vaccines to go on a mission? Or can you exempt?

Thanks
I had sort of a similar question on the last thread, right after the new Ensign came out. Alisa had a story of someone exempting and getting his mission changed to stateside, because it was the country who required the vaccines and not the Church. But it's a touchy issue with lots of people. I still haven't quite figured it all out.

By the way, what's wrong with the thread getting out of control? How do you tell? We're a chatty bunch that's for sure!
Old 02-28-2007, 04:15 PM

Oh, Marly, I understand about disappointment. We thought we were going to get to go on vacation this summer and now we don't. I am stiill really sad about it.

I do get to go to Mesa, AZ in June. I know it will be hot, bt one of my best friends from high school is getting married. I am so excited, but kinda sad at the same time. Dh can't go. He can't ask off for his new job like that. Dh doesn't want me to drive by myself witht he kids that far. I totally understand that. THe lsat time I did, it didn't have a good turn out. So I'm flying and I'm going by myself. Mady will be two. She does fine not nursing if we aren't together so I don't really think that will be a problem, but I suppose by the time I get back we may be weaned. Not sure how i feel about that. I will so miss my kids so much! Of course I will miss dh, too, ut it's different. I've been away from him before.I talked to my friend last night. I was thinking about getting there Wed and leaving Sat or SUn. She's getting married on Friday. She wants me to come Mon or Tues so she can have her shower and bachelorette party with me there. I just don't know if i can be gone that long. I know it's only an extra day or two, but.......... WWYD?

Serenity LDS mommy to 4 rambunctious kidlets
Old 02-28-2007, 04:32 PM

What about doing something special with her when you get there? I understand she wants you there, but maybe you could do something just the two of you when you do get there.

I'm sure you could get an exemption for vaccines. I really don't think if you have gotten an answer not to be vaccinated that the church wouldn't let you go at all. At least that's my feeling. That's why we have personal revelation.

nurnur, I'm sorry things aren't going well right now. I hope things will get better.

Ladies, this dumb ms has kicked in. If I don't eat constantly I just feel like I'm going to puke. We don't have a lot of food in the house because it's the end of the month. I've been snacking on raisins and penuts but it's just making it worse. I hate the stuff. I was sick the first time but moody with the second one. It's so annoying. Hopefully we'll be able to hear the hb on the 13th so I can feel better about it all. Even though I have signs I still keep freaking about it all.
Old 02-28-2007, 04:39 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by quarteralien View Post
By the way, what's wrong with the thread getting out of control? How do you tell? We're a chatty bunch that's for sure!
It was just getting too big and unwieldy for me to try and keep up with the conversations so I thought, why not start over?

Old 02-28-2007, 05:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cjarvis View Post
Hi All,

Thanks
It's a country/destination issue, not a church issue. If a child wants to skip vaccines, they wil be either kept stateside or sent somewhere that does not require them.

Incidentally, when I went to France, I was able to be tested for immunity and not required to be vaxed if I was immune. Of course, at the time I knew nothing about vaxing so I didn't care. The one I did get was a tetanus booster.
Old 02-28-2007, 05:35 PM

When my DH went into the MTC, his dad forgot to leave behind his immunization records. His dad tried over and over to contact him because he had and all he needed was to hand him the piece of paper, or get it to him somehow, but they wouldn't let them talk to each other. So after all the beaureacratic pain they went through, DH allowed himself to get an MMR shot right in the MTC. I swear, when DH told me about this experience, I felt so shaken in the structure of the church. I mean, I know there are psycho parents out there who would desperately want to get in touch with their kids, but this was a legitimate reason, simply solved, and no, getting another unnecessary shot was far easier than getting record that it had already been done. And you know, I know I didn't serve a mission, but the other things I've heard about the MTC really make me understand how people view us as a cult. It sounds like initiation. Wow, sorry. I didn't mean to make this sound so negative. It's just one more thing I'm trying to understand.
Old 02-28-2007, 05:37 PM

i was told that those getting ready to go on their missions have to have their wisdom teeth pulled before they can leave. even if there is no indication before they go that the surgery is necessary. two of the boys in our ward had theirs done over christmas break.

that's the kind of stuff, along with the vaccines, that i'm not sure about. i have all of my wisdom teeth, as does my husband. but i think we were both in college when they came in. would that mean that i would HAVE to have a son or daughter's pulled "just in case?"

i know, i have like a decade or more to worry about this, and things could change between now and then, but it got me thinking..................
Old 02-28-2007, 05:57 PM

I would be really surprised if that's true.
Old 02-28-2007, 06:06 PM

I think they get pulled if there is an indication for it, though what that indication is is a bit subjective. Just about a year ago I was thinking of having mine pulled, but oddly enough, the more research I did into circumcision, the more convinced I was that we weren't given extraneous body parts to be removed at will. So I still have mine!
Old 02-28-2007, 06:11 PM

Quote:
. And you know, I know I didn't serve a mission, but the other things I've heard about the MTC really make me understand how people view us as a cult. It sounds like initiation.
Like what? I spent 3 weeks in the MTC and didn't think anything was unusual. It was a good experience for me.
Old 02-28-2007, 06:12 PM

My DS (age 16 1/2) had a panoramic x-ray done a few weeks ago, and his wisdom teeth are right there. I had mine taken out at 17. DH was 18. Dentist thinks one will break through soon, and to consider getting them done soon, at least while still in HS. We will have it done.

You wouldn't have to get them done, I'm sure, but why take a chance that your son/daughter is in the middle of the Pacific Ocean and the teeth become impacted? I know for a while whenever surgeries and major stuff needed to be done, the church paid for it, but I think over time, they are sending missionaries home to have treatment done because of insurance reasons, etc... I know I would want my oldest son to be ready and not have to worry about having to come home, etc... I know of missions have banned basketball because of the risk of knee injuries. My DH's cousin had to have knee surgery done while on his mission, and he came home and never went back to finish it. As for the vax...I really believe the Lord inspired them. I know I wouldn't want my son to go to Africa without his measles vax. And I believe that the church is doing a good thing about vax against measles in Africa and other countries.

Of course, this is JMHO!
Old 02-28-2007, 06:15 PM

my dh didn't get his wisdom teeth out before his mission. He did get them out after. I don't know why. We were engaged, I'll have to ask him He did go to Brazil on his mission.

I did get mine out but that's because they started coming in pointed toward my teeth. I didn't have braces for two years for them to ruin my teeth. I got them out right after I had ds 2. They were coming in and coming in bad.

I really think a case by case basis.
Old 02-28-2007, 06:17 PM

The only thing I've heard about the MTC is that missionaries will unscrew the lightswitch covers, and place notes in them for future missionaries, about what not to do or do while there in the MTC.

But then again, I didn't go on a mission, so I don't know how true that is. DH said he really liked the MTC, and was even President Benson's escort to a meeting, and he thought that was cool.
Old 02-28-2007, 06:25 PM

wisdom teeth question- right after i had Lily (i was 18) they told me to have mine removed. but they have never bugged me so i told them to shove it. why have them removed, again? if nothing is wrong then what's the point?

Old 02-28-2007, 06:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Laurel View Post
Like what? I spent 3 weeks in the MTC and didn't think anything was unusual. It was a good experience for me.
maybe NCD can shed some further light on this, but I've heard the men's showers there described as the tree of life. You're a woman and so wouldn't have seen this, but basically it's a pipe with 3 or 4 showerheads coming out of it and no privacy. Now, for people who have just gone to the temple and received their garments and been told how important covering their body is, that just seems strange that that would be the arrangement. And just the regimented scedule, and being separated from the outside world, only wearing certain clothing, honestly, that sounds a bit cultish to me. I grew up in the church and grew up knowing what missions were and how good they were for everyone involved, but when I started to think about them on a logical level, they kind of left me scratching my head. Maybe I need to quit thinking about it and just focus on the spiritual aspects. I'm sure it is a good experience overall, and I still plan to encourage my son to prepare for one, but there are just some things we do that seem strange when you try to look at it from the point of view of someone who isn't used to it. Does any of this make sense? I find myself adding that to a lot of my posts. Maybe I should just go back and edit more.
Old 02-28-2007, 06:38 PM

Quote:
maybe NCD can shed some further light on this, but I've heard the men's showers there described as the tree of life. You're a woman and so wouldn't have seen this, but basically it's a pipe with 3 or 4 showerheads coming out of it and no privacy. Now, for people who have just gone to the temple and received their garments and been told how important covering their body is, that just seems strange that that would be the arrangement.
i was reading this and kept thinking 'so what?'. not as if i don't value your posts!! i'm just not shy. guess i always expect others to have my comfort level.

as for the rest of your posts, i can see where you are coming from but i honeslty believe that missions are great for personal growth. a retreat of sorts where one can go inward and be humbled and do service.

User Tag List