~*~March Pagan Circle~*~ - Page 11 - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#301 of 428 Old 03-21-2007, 01:14 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liz: oh, honey. Hugs to you...

Felt eggs: What I am planning on doing is like when you make felt beads or balls... take wool roving, hot water and dish soap and sort of shape the egg (or ball). I got instructions on this site called keeponknittinginthefreeworld.com blog spot. She made felt beads (and has kits you can order) but I thought I could take that idea and make eggs. I bought a couple kits (because she had cool wool colors) and I had a bunch of natural colored wool roving, so I was going to try and make sort of marbled/colored eggs. I don't know though, they could just end up ball shaped. LOL I want to get to them tomorrow so they will be dry by Saturday.. it takes a couple days depending on the size of the ball/egg. If I can do it I will try and post some pictures of my finished eggs.

H

mama to 6 amazing children joy.gif married to my main man for 21 years love.gif and finally home FULL time dishes.gifhang.gifknit.gif

#302 of 428 Old 03-21-2007, 02:23 AM - Thread Starter

*off to google wool roving & felting* thanks for that!

Pagan  lovin'  WOW playing mum to 5 boys in the wonderful land of Oz ... FOR THE HORDE! hehehe
#303 of 428 Old 03-21-2007, 03:22 AM

Oohh I want to needle felt so badly!

"The true measure of a man is how he treats a man who can do him absolutely no good."
peace.gif  Embrace the learning that is happening within the things that are actually happening!    
#304 of 428 Old 03-21-2007, 07:21 AM

I don't know how to felt, but I want to learn some new wool crafts, since I have struggled with knitting, and I was just given a large fleece from an organic farm (it's a garbage bag full). Sounds like a nice craft!

Liz, hope you feel better soon!
#305 of 428 Old 03-21-2007, 08:24 AM

Thanks everyone. Feeling worse today. I had a cold and it has settled into my chest. I had a breathing test yesterday and I swear it has made things worse. I woke up this morning and my chest hurts, feels raw, and I'm coughing. All I want to do is sleep...but can't, of course, because I have to take ds to school and then do errands.
I just have to keep telling myself to look forward to Thursday and Friday because it's supposed to mild. Yay. Just hope I'm feeling better.
(trouble is, when I get upper respiratory infections, they tend to stick around for 6 weeks).
Gotta try to think positive and WILL this illness out of me.

I'd love to try wool felting. I'll go and see if my local organic farm has any roving. They usually do 'in season' but I don't think it's the season for shearing, right? Is that done in the summer or fall?? I used to know all this (lived on a farm as a kid) but I have long forgotten.

On another note: My pagan friend who used to own a tea shoppe in town has finally started her tea business online. She moved to Maine and I think is raising llama's. She said that she would order some Tea Forte (for me) and she's expecting some of their flavors to come in soon. I'm so excited about it! I'm going to try to sell some things so I can get some paypal to place an order with her. I want to support my fellow pagans...and get some yummy tea at the same time. hahahh.
http://www.villagehavenfarm.com/store/Default.asp
Keep in mind that her website is new so she doesn't have a ton of things in stock. She has lots of stuff on order though. AND, she's open to suggestions...so you could always email her if you are looking for a specific kind of tea. Tell her Liz sent ya.
#306 of 428 Old 03-21-2007, 09:50 AM

Ode- oh gracious, upper respistatory stuff is miserable! I hope you feel better soon!

I bought stuff to try felting and just haven't...maybe next week.

we began thinking about names and we found a girl name. now , we need to think about boy names...that could take us the rest of the 7 months...: we never agree on boy names. I am beginning to enjoy being pregnant and had a moment this morning as my oldest came down stairs..."this babe will be my last." *heavy sigh* I never could imagine Bella being 5 and now she is...

Dhjammin.gif, Me knit.gif, DD 10 REPlaySkateboard04HL.gif, DD 7 cat.gif, DD 4 joy.gif

We reading.gif, homeschool.gif, cold.gif, eat.gif, sleepytime.gif not in that order

#307 of 428 Old 03-21-2007, 01:10 PM

Liz ~ Shearing is usually done before lambing season (which is happening right now) So there should be lots of wool available! I hope you're feeling better soon. Upper respiratory stuff is awful.

brendon ~
#308 of 428 Old 03-21-2007, 01:15 PM

Woohoo! I'll go to the farm in the morning.
#309 of 428 Old 03-21-2007, 11:54 PM

Happy Ostara everyone!

secular classical-ish mama to an incredible 5 year old DS and an amazing 6 year old DD.
#310 of 428 Old 03-22-2007, 01:57 AM

Thinking of you Liz! Lung stuff is just dreadful.

"The true measure of a man is how he treats a man who can do him absolutely no good."
peace.gif  Embrace the learning that is happening within the things that are actually happening!    
#311 of 428 Old 03-22-2007, 02:20 AM

Happy Spring to everyone! I haven't been online much this week, but I wanted to pop in and say hi.

The weather here is wonderful and just so...well, springy, LOL. Daffodils and crocuses are starting to bloom, and the grass is beginning to green up. We have been taking the most amazing long walks on abandoned roads near my family's farm. It's great because my DD can run around and explore, and I don't have to worry about her running into traffic like I do in town. It's been too wet to plant anything else in the garden, but I put over 600 seeds in the germination chamber today! I've also started the mad dash to use up last year's vegetables in the freezer, LOL.

I've been thinking about what someone posted earlier, about being in turmoil around the equinox. I have been intensely emotional the past week or so. Part of it has been visiting my grandparents. Their health is failing and it's so sad to see them living in a house that they can't take care of and to have my grandma talk about how "this is probably the last time I'll ever [fill in the blank--plan Easter dinner, see my cousin's kids, etc.]. Then, I was looking for something I had stored in one of their closets, and I was sorting through decades of stuff that they'll never use again, clothes they've outgrown, the bowling balls my grandma can't lift any more, the chairs that aren't comfortable any more. This feeling has been worsened by the fact that all the land around my family's farm is being sold, mostly to out-of-town speculators. Those sleepy woods down the deserted road have been my family's sanctuary for generations, and it's probably about to be turned into suburbia. After years of my life being comfortably familiar and predictable, it feels like everything has suddenly been thrown into fast-forward and things that I had counted on to stay the same forever are slipping away through my fingers. Is this what it's like to get old?!
#312 of 428 Old 03-22-2007, 10:05 AM

Jennisee- *hugs* I am beginning to face this realization as well. Each time my grandmother falls, we wonder if she will recover. The area where her house is located is beginning to take off and more and more houses (big huge houses! : ) are being built. Her woods were my sanctuary as a kid as well...I hope the family keeps the property. It was a magical land with trails, creek and hide outs.

I hope my children will appreciate our little piece of peace that is our land.

Dhjammin.gif, Me knit.gif, DD 10 REPlaySkateboard04HL.gif, DD 7 cat.gif, DD 4 joy.gif

We reading.gif, homeschool.gif, cold.gif, eat.gif, sleepytime.gif not in that order

#313 of 428 Old 03-22-2007, 10:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by UnschoolnMa View Post
Thinking of you Liz! Lung stuff is just dreadful.
Thanks for noticing me (said in my best Eeyore voice). :
It's terrible because I have asthma and colds just tend to always turn into upper respiratory infections for me. My lungs hurt and burn.
Luckily, I have a follow up doc appt tomorrow (for something else) so my doc can listen to my lungs. I'm just wiped out. Completely.
Too bad I feel/look so sick...My new doc is very attractive (I've seen pics) and I'm going to be meeting him for the first time. I just hope he's good at his job.

Oh my goodness! I just glanced out the window and I can see (even without my glasses) that the leaves are starting to arrive on some trees. Yay!!!!!!!!!
Woohoo! Doing a happy dance! That energizes me! If it's not raining, I think we'll take a quick run to the organic farm. I have got to get some rain boots, man. It's mushy everywhere (where there isn't snow).
#314 of 428 Old 03-22-2007, 12:07 PM

We got a nice spring rain last night and chances of more rain today. It is so nice. After the winter rains we don't usually get much until mid june early july.

So I read an article in our weekly free liberal rag and it was talking about peak oil. And it got me thinking... the city I live in is so spread out, you can not get anywhere without a car, our mass transit bites, it got me worried. If gas prices keep going up and up and up and we can't walk to places and we live in the desert which gets up to 110 during the summer what the heck am I going to do? This actually got me tinking about moving someplace that has good mass transit and things within walking distance. But honestly the only place I have actually been is Portland, Ore where there is mass transit and a smaller city center sort of thing.
How are your areas set up?
Plus part of me doesn't want city city I want some countryish living. UGH.

H

mama to 6 amazing children joy.gif married to my main man for 21 years love.gif and finally home FULL time dishes.gifhang.gifknit.gif

#315 of 428 Old 03-22-2007, 12:36 PM

Happy Happy (a little late) All!

Things are still all wacky here (as a pp mentioned, the energies of the season can play merry hobb with things...two of my friends announced this week that their marriages have ended after 6 and 9 years respectively, two more have announced that they're pregnant!) but the sun is shining and the flowers are starting to poke through the snow!

I didn't get to do much yesterday since I worked a night shift and dd was being wonky during the day, but I did make a wreath for the front door. Somehow that's become by big "holiday" item...some sort of simple grapevine and X wreath that reflects the holiday. This one has 13 eggs (blown out and dyed) that I hung from the grapevine using jewelry wire with pale glass beads. There are also a few small copper bells and my "three goddesses" (little tiny corn husk angels I got at an import store several years ago and which I add to all the different wreaths). I'll see if I can get a picture!

Here's hoping the colds, flus, and funks of winter are on their way out the door...

Be pretty! Be practical! Be Pagan! Visit Pagan Hearth & Home!
 mama to lady.gif(4/05), hearts.gif(6/07vbac), diaper.gif(8/09vbac), and babygirl.gif (9/11vbac)

#316 of 428 Old 03-22-2007, 01:56 PM

wombatclay, the wreath sounds gorgeous! I can't wait to see a picture!
#317 of 428 Old 03-22-2007, 07:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jennisee View Post
I've been thinking about what someone posted earlier, about being in turmoil around the equinox. I have been intensely emotional the past week or so. Part of it has been visiting my grandparents. Their health is failing and it's so sad to see them living in a house that they can't take care of and to have my grandma talk about how "this is probably the last time I'll ever [fill in the blank--plan Easter dinner, see my cousin's kids, etc.]. Then, I was looking for something I had stored in one of their closets, and I was sorting through decades of stuff that they'll never use again, clothes they've outgrown, the bowling balls my grandma can't lift any more, the chairs that aren't comfortable any more. This feeling has been worsened by the fact that all the land around my family's farm is being sold, mostly to out-of-town speculators. Those sleepy woods down the deserted road have been my family's sanctuary for generations, and it's probably about to be turned into suburbia. After years of my life being comfortably familiar and predictable, it feels like everything has suddenly been thrown into fast-forward and things that I had counted on to stay the same forever are slipping away through my fingers. Is this what it's like to get old?!
I can identify with you on this. Watching my father and father-in-laws' failing health and the recent death of my grandmother and last year three older men we were friend's will died...well, it makes you contemplate the bitter-sweet side of life. Spring- somehow it is not all happy-happy. Well, T.S. Eliot says it better than I can:

April is the cruellest month, breeding
Lilacs out of the dead land, mixing
Memory and desire, stirring
Dull roots with spring rain.

What worries me the most is that I seem to be moving away from my spiritual quest rather than toward it.

treehugger.gif  Mama of three daughters chicken3.gif
#318 of 428 Old 03-22-2007, 07:54 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by OdeToJoy View Post
Thanks everyone. Feeling worse today. I had a cold and it has settled into my chest.
YUCK that sounds miserable! Hope the little guy doesn't get it from you to make matters worse

Quote:
Too bad I feel/look so sick...My new doc is very attractive (I've seen pics) and I'm going to be meeting him for the first time. I just hope he's good at his job.

Oh my goodness! I just glanced out the window and I can see (even without my glasses) that the leaves are starting to arrive on some trees. Yay!!!!!!!!!
Woohoo! Doing a happy dance! That energizes me! If it's not raining, I think we'll take a quick run to the organic farm. I have got to get some rain boots, man. It's mushy everywhere (where there isn't snow).
LOL gotta love MD eye candy.. makes going to the doc a lot more palatable doesn't it *gryn* I have had a couple of 'dr. hottie's' in the past as well.. oddly enough... both of them obstetricians LMAO Glad mother nature has done her part to perk you up a bit!

Quote:
Originally Posted by wombatclay View Post
I didn't get to do much yesterday since I worked a night shift and dd was being wonky during the day, but I did make a wreath for the front door. Somehow that's become by big "holiday" item...some sort of simple grapevine and X wreath that reflects the holiday. This one has 13 eggs (blown out and dyed) that I hung from the grapevine using jewelry wire with pale glass beads. There are also a few small copper bells and my "three goddesses" (little tiny corn husk angels I got at an import store several years ago and which I add to all the different wreaths). I'll see if I can get a picture!

Here's hoping the colds, flus, and funks of winter are on their way out the door...
That wreath sounds spectacular! can't wait to see the pics of it :
Our Seasons Tree is coming along nicely.. it's now nakey and yesterday we poured a plaster of paris base in a big ice cream container so now it's standing up on it's own Hubby got a positively enormous pot to put it in but since it's going to be just sat in the pot I will keep an eye out for something a little smaller, then use that one to plant some veggies!

I spent all day yesterday OUT by myself.. and what did I do? lol.. I went to a 'reusable nappy week' event Got to have a look at lots of neat nappies & such.. and the wool covers!!! Oh they were gorgeous

Pagan  lovin'  WOW playing mum to 5 boys in the wonderful land of Oz ... FOR THE HORDE! hehehe
#319 of 428 Old 03-22-2007, 08:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CariOfOz View Post
YUCK that sounds miserable! Hope the little guy doesn't get it from you to make matters worse
He's the one that gave me the cold that turned into this. He had the cold and was over it in 3 days. With me, it lingers and deepens into something ominous every single time.

Doh, I'll be back in a little while.
#320 of 428 Old 03-22-2007, 08:29 PM

Well, we made a few eggs... we will see how they turn out when they dry in a day or so. It was fun.
I think I will take the rest of the wool roving and make some little felt people for the boys to play with when they play blocks.
Our weather is so wacky! It can't be warmer then 60 out and windy and overcast and drizzly. It feels slightly winterish (for AZ that is). Thank goodness I made a big old pot of chili for dinner. I am going to make up some corn bread too... maybe brownies (I can never eat too many of those! LOL)

When I was working at the county hospital we had a GI doctor who was just lovely. I had one of his patients in the ICU and loved talking to the dr and seeing him. How twisted is that? I hope my pt is sick enough the cute dr comes in! LOL: :

H

#321 of 428 Old 03-22-2007, 09:46 PM

My altar has pretend eggs (vegan) and a lovely dish a friend made for me that I filled up with soil and symbols of the elements and the spring season. Also I got a lovely new candle to light. I wish I could take a pic, but my camera is a goner at the moment.

I agree that this is a strange time of year, emotionally speaking. It's that way for me in the fall too. Seasons of great change I tell ya.

#322 of 428 Old 03-23-2007, 12:05 AM

Hi ladies. I've lurked here all month. I don't really practice much of anything, but I have some animistic tendencies and I am usually drawn to nature stuff. Anyways, my friend Tracy and I painted eggs on the first day of spring and we took some pictures of them outside and I thought I'd share them. We call them "Easter" eggs, but she is a Jewish atheist and I'm a nothing, so make of it what you will!

http://picasaweb.google.com/ehawxhur...ayOfSpring2007

Me love.gif, DH guitar.gif, and DD baby.gif9/27/10!
#323 of 428 Old 03-23-2007, 12:17 AM

Hey all. A friend of mine is treating me to a tattoo (just because I'm going to accompany him while he gets one). So, I'm thinking of getting either a snowflake (symbolizes my son) or maybe something like a triquetra. I don't know. Something celtic? Something definitely pagan? A fancy snowflake?
Something colored? Just black? Just one color?

I can't decide! I want it on my ankle. (hmm, inner or outer?)

What do you all think?
Opinions welcome!
#324 of 428 Old 03-23-2007, 12:56 AM

I really like Pat Fish's artwork for tats. What an excellent treat
#325 of 428 Old 03-23-2007, 02:05 AM

Oh those tat's are sweet! I have this idea in my head for a huge one on my back... if only I had the funds. LOL
OTJ: I like the idea of the outer ankle... I don't have on there though. I found having one on my chest the least painful of all 4 of mine. A snow flake is a cool idea... maybe in blues and purples... kinda giving it a cold feel.

H

#326 of 428 Old 03-23-2007, 02:57 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
He's the one that gave me the cold that turned into this. He had the cold and was over it in 3 days. With me, it lingers and deepens into something ominous every single time.

Doh, I'll be back in a little while.
Isn't that ALWAYS the way! The little ones can be so resilient sometimes, which is a good thing.. sick kiddies are so pitiful

Quote:
Originally Posted by kallyn View Post
Hi ladies. I've lurked here all month. I don't really practice much of anything, but I have some animistic tendencies and I am usually drawn to nature stuff. Anyways, my friend Tracy and I painted eggs on the first day of spring and we took some pictures of them outside and I thought I'd share them. We call them "Easter" eggs, but she is a Jewish atheist and I'm a nothing, so make of it what you will!

http://picasaweb.google.com/ehawxhur...ayOfSpring2007
Hehe Welcome! Love the jewish athiest..

Quote:
Hey all. A friend of mine is treating me to a tattoo (just because I'm going to accompany him while he gets one). So, I'm thinking of getting either a snowflake (symbolizes my son) or maybe something like a triquetra. I don't know. Something celtic? Something definitely pagan? A fancy snowflake?
Something colored? Just black? Just one color?

I can't decide! I want it on my ankle. (hmm, inner or outer?)

What do you all think?
Opinions welcome!
OOOH we love tatts! I like the snowflake idea too... I think that would be gorgeous and I agree with the pp, purples & blues would give it a chilly feel that would look great. As much as I like celtic stuff it seems like everyone has celtic tatts.. so your snowflake idea would be unique.

Quote:
Originally Posted by maeveypoo View Post
I really like Pat Fish's artwork for tats. What an excellent treat
I second that! I have drooled over Pat's art for a LONG time!

And the Seasons tree is UP! Here's the piccie.. I'm thinking of getting some easter cards and cutting them up for decorations. When I change it over to autumn theme I'm going to get decoupage paper and make some things out of that
http://i62.photobucket.com/albums/h1...tertree002.jpg

#327 of 428 Old 03-23-2007, 08:26 AM

Cari- that looks great!
#328 of 428 Old 03-23-2007, 10:14 AM

Wow...that's so cool! BTW our door wreath is now down to 12 eggs since one got "gifted" to the universe (DH broke it while bringing in some lumber...ah, the peril of real eggs).

Love the tats...I don't have an ankle tat yet but I'd like one some day. But I think I'd probably want more of an anklette style where the art went all the way around my ankle in a band. That's what I have on my wrist (though it usually "lives" under my wrist watch when I'm at work).

I did see one tat (don't have a picture) that was a butterfly on the top of the foot...the artist had done an amazing job with shading and everything so between the colors on the wings and the delicate shadow below it really looked like a butterfly had landed on her foot. It was really impressive. Not sure where she had it done though...this was at a big SCA event and I didn't know her, I just spent a cart ride staring at her foot!

mama to lady.gif(4/05), hearts.gif(6/07vbac), diaper.gif(8/09vbac), and babygirl.gif (9/11vbac)

#329 of 428 Old 03-23-2007, 10:42 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
#330 of 428 Old 03-23-2007, 10:56 AM

Wow...I love the two cat tats...not so much the subject matter, but the sort of "brush stroke/flowing" nature where the image is more suggested than "filled in". If that makes sense?

I drew my own tat (the word "Crows" is at the center done in a calligraphic script I like, the bracelet protion....which isn't all the way done, I need to be not pregnant/nursing for a while and have some pocket change!...is the Josephine knotwork from my wedding ring) and I love tats that seem "personalized". This sort of art is so intensely personal and permanent I always wnoder about someone who has a more "generic" tat if they're going to love it as much 20-30 years down the road.

I think it was a de Lint book, but one of the characters has lots and lots of tats and she tells somehow how she can follow her personal growth and evolution through the tats...that each image holds a specific story or memory of where she was and who she was when the work was done. And now she can look at her body and actually "see" how she has changed and developed as a person. It was a neat image and something to think about...since it's so easy to forget "who" we really were after we've changed in some significant way. We often either forget completely, or romanticize our past self, or vilify that self, or...well...it was just sort of a neat idea.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page