~*~March Pagan Circle~*~ - Page 7 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 03-14-2007, 02:32 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by NaturalMomof3 View Post
I also learned to knit with the KnittingHelp.com videos. Just sat in front of the computer with my knitting needles and played the videos over and over until I got the hang of it. I love knitting! I just finished my final Harry Potter scarf, I've knit all four house scarves!
That was my biggest help, too. I learned a few years ago. I used to have a store where I sold soakers I knitted. I really haven't knit anything in about 6mos, though. I got super frustrated with a sweater and I have been so busy!

We are having a celebration of Ostara this Saturday. Outside during the day. I hope it's nice out!

AP Mom to 5 knit.gifhomeschool.giftoddler.gif

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-14-2007, 02:33 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by maeveypoo View Post
So what is everyone doing for the Vernal Equinox this year?
I'll be getting stuck with about 30 needles. I have an appt with the allergist. Gotta figure out my food allergies.
If the weather is nice later that day, we'll go to the nature reserve and talk about the changes we see in Spring. If the weather is bad, we'll paint wooden eggs.
Old 03-14-2007, 02:34 PM

Well, my plan is to have a picnic breakfast and look for eggs and maybe do a ritual to welcome spring... still working on that.
I want to see what the kids want to do.
I got our Pooka's Sandbox newsletter the other day so it has fun stories and stuff in it for the kids.

H

mama to 6 amazing children joy.gif married to my main man for 21 years love.gif and finally home FULL time dishes.gifhang.gifknit.gif

Old 03-14-2007, 04:15 PM

Does Pooka's sandbox come as an email or paper? I've thought about subscribing, I had right before it went pay.

I think the character is referred to as a 'wicked witch'. And she's green, balck pointy hat. Overthinking it, I'm sure.

Ostara: eggs and candy and seedlings. We'll dye some eggs, hunt for them, cook with them. Make some candy and maybe hot cross buns. Plants some seedlings. Make some crafts with springy stickers. Maybe watch "Springtime for Roo", the kids love it. Play outside lots.

And hopefully go to some farms to see some baby animals.
Old 03-14-2007, 04:58 PM

It is an email thing... Pooka's sandbox that is. LOL

Hot cross buns... that is a good idea.
I also like the idea of painting wooden eggs.

H

mama to 6 amazing children joy.gif married to my main man for 21 years love.gif and finally home FULL time dishes.gifhang.gifknit.gif

Old 03-14-2007, 05:47 PM

Like the online mag, The Onion? Here is a funny article about Pagan family get togethers.

My favorite part:

"[Dad's] always asking her why doesn't she find a nice warlock to settle down with, or telling her maybe what she really needs is a good old-fashioned bacchanalia. Are other pagan families like this?"

:

treehugger.gif  Mama of three daughters chicken3.gif
Old 03-14-2007, 06:01 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Salvia View Post
Like the online mag, The Onion? Here is a funny article about Pagan family get togethers.

My favorite part:

"[Dad's] always asking her why doesn't she find a nice warlock to settle down with, or telling her maybe what she really needs is a good old-fashioned bacchanalia. Are other pagan families like this?"

:
That's hilarious!

Sorry about the allergy test, OdeToJoy. I hope the tests come out ok.

AP Mom to 5 knit.gifhomeschool.giftoddler.gif

Old 03-14-2007, 06:02 PM

That is too funny! Thank you for that! I needed a good laugh.

H

Old 03-14-2007, 06:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pam_and_Abigail View Post
Maybe watch "Springtime for Roo", the kids love it.
I've been wanting to get that my little Roo but money is so tight right (I'm in the negatives). I wonder if I could find someone who could make a copy of it. I don't think any of my local friends even have a dvr. Hmmm. Perhaps I should post it on the TP. I really want to make up a cute Spring basket with a bunch of little stuff for ds. He has REALLY gotten into rubber stamping and then coloring the pic in. I'm sooo happy that he's finally into crafts. I was hoping this day would arrive. I'm so crafty! Or should I say 'artsy fartsy'? giggle.
Old 03-14-2007, 07:01 PM

Oh my goddess...ds just said the nicest thing to me! We just got home from the nature reserve and I was really hot so I changed my clothes. Mostly everything is dirty so I got one of my skirts (with an all elastic waist) and put it and pulled the waist up over my chest to make it look like a dress. Well, ds just asked me if I'm a faerie! How wonderful!
Old 03-14-2007, 07:58 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by pixiepunk View Post
had to laugh at that. i totally subsisted on bananas and ritz crackers for the first four months of my first pregnancy - that comment really took me back!
Hehe for my third pregnancy it was Bacon & cheese supreme doritos LOL. I was so sick that the doc said whatever it is you can eat, go for it ... I think she was quite suprised when I told her my choices though

Quote:
Originally Posted by Salvia View Post
My favorite part:

:
ROFLMAO love it!

Quote:
Originally Posted by OdeToJoy View Post
Oh my goddess...ds just said the nicest thing to me! We just got home from the nature reserve and I was really hot so I changed my clothes. Mostly everything is dirty so I got one of my skirts (with an all elastic waist) and put it and pulled the waist up over my chest to make it look like a dress. Well, ds just asked me if I'm a faerie! How wonderful!
Awwww what a total sweetheart he sounds like! Love it when they come out with things like that :

Autumnal equinox here and YIKES it snuck up on me big time!!! I didn't realize it was just a week away I think I'll get the stuff together to make some homemade bread and let the boys help a little... we take walks every day already so I'll point out all the little changes that autumn is bringing (IF there are any lol... I live nearly in the tropics though so there won't be a lot And I think I'll make a yummy chili with cornbread for dinner Cornbread is not a common thing down here but everyone that I've made it for just loves it... so maybe I'll get myself organized and make a few dozen cornbread muffins to suprise my girlfriends with

Pagan  lovin'  WOW playing mum to 5 boys in the wonderful land of Oz ... FOR THE HORDE! hehehe
Old 03-14-2007, 09:11 PM

Oh my goodness...I just realized that I hadn't subbed for the month! Ack! 10 pages of fun and exciting posts and too little time to read!

Be pretty! Be practical! Be Pagan! Visit Pagan Hearth & Home!
 mama to lady.gif(4/05), hearts.gif(6/07vbac), diaper.gif(8/09vbac), and babygirl.gif (9/11vbac)

Old 03-14-2007, 09:29 PM

wow, we had the nicest day here today! it was in the 60's (fahrenheit) and while it threatened to rain it never really did. i took the kids to a local park for an hour before grocery shopping, then when we got home DH surprised me by stopping his farm chores early to take a family hike back into our woods (we haven't been back there since fall). our puppy had a total blast, he was frolicking all through the woods. DS was in the backpack on DH's back, DD walked almost the whole way, picking up sticks and leaves and rocks and just enjoying nature. she even took off her shoes and dipped her feet in the icy creek! i popped her in the MT for the final climb up the last hill, but i couldn't believe she walked the rest of the way. it's a good mile+, most of it hiking up and down hills. then we had ice cream and played in the yard. i'm soooo glad spring is upon us, i was feeling so cooped up, and didn't even realize how much until we were able to be outside all day today!

as for the equinox - weather permitting it'll probably be a day quite similar to today (minus the grocery store trip ). plus, this weekend, the nearest UU congregation and the Northern Shenandoah Valley Pagan Alliance are hosting a Gypsy Faire. we've been wanting an excuse to check them out since we moved to the area last year, so we're very excited about the event. hope we meet some cool families - i'm even taking cards from our Families For Natural Living group in hopes of recruiting some crunchy mamas
Old 03-14-2007, 11:11 PM

Liz, our copy isn't legal
It's a so-so movie really, but the kids love it. The storyline is kind of heavy, it's a dickens-christmas-carol story placed on easter, with rabbit being scroogy, but Dh says they farmed out the movie, even Roo's voice sounds wrong. He also thought the songs weren't that great. Anyway, just had to share my honest opinion about it. The kids do really like it though.

We had cornbread here, too. First time ever. Not sure why I even made it, I never liked it before, it just sorta popped into my head. I served it with ham and sweet potatoes, and made it in mini loaf pans.

pixipunk that walk sounds really nice. We had a great day outdoors here too. Biking around the yard, splashing in slushy puddles, playing soccer.
Old 03-14-2007, 11:12 PM

i'm sorry about your gramma, salvia

sunday the 18th is the local public ostara ritual....made kid-friendly this year because of my squeaky wheel! it's going to be such fun. we are having face painting, coloring pages (witchy ones, of course!), a planting activity where the kids get to keep their planted seed, an egg-shaker (rattle) making activity, a ritual, and of course an egg hunt! oh, and it's a potluck, too.

for our home thang, ds remembers from last year when i made him a treasure hunt to find his basket, and wants me to do that again. last year i used pictures to find the clues. this year, if i keep it simple, he will be able to READ the clues! he has unlocked the secret of reading and can primitively do it! yay!
so his basket will be filled with organic vegan jellybeans (we're not vegan, but they're always so much healthier), some other treats, and some Transformers he LOVES those dang things.

anyone doing anything for st.patrick's day? for or against? thoughts? i am celebrating Irish heritage (even though we aren't Irish) and we're having corned beef and cabbage. or, i am. ds doesn't like either. he'll probably have a veggie dog

Maiasaura

Me treehugger.gif Handfasted wife to M  geek.gif as of 3/7/10 , and Mama to R  reading.gif (1/31/01) luxlove.gif

Old 03-15-2007, 03:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pam_and_Abigail View Post
I've tried to be a knitter, but I've decided it must be for people like grandmas who have lots of time, because I just can't get through a project. I tried making myself mittens, and it took a couple days to get the cuff of one done (and I don't mean ribbing, just plain knitting), and then I realized it was the wrong size, so I started over. I got a little further the second time, but I had a mistake (mixed up knit row/purl row and it went inside out), so I gave up. I could probably knit a doll scarf. Can't do the double pointed needles.
Oh my, YES! The shop across the road from my house had a knitting class last year, and all the little old ladies just couldn't understand why I never got any knitting done between classes. I never even got far enough on a project to learn to cast off. I think I have a half-complted poncho, scarf, and hat around here somewhere.

Quote:
Originally Posted by maeveypoo View Post
So what is everyone doing for the Vernal Equinox this year? We'll actually be celebrating on the 24th (combining it with my birthday party this year).
I always say that I'm going to get up and watch the sunrise on the sabbats, but then the weather ends up being nasty and we don't go. Maybe this time! We'll definitely boil, decorate, and hide some eggs. I need to call my mom and see if she still has my grandmother's blown egg collection. (So many things got lost when my parents divorced.) I'd like to talk to DD about the seeds sprouting and the earth greening, maybe check the garden to see if anything we planted has sprouted. I like the idea of taking her to see baby animals; I wonder if the deer farm has any fawns yet.

I need to change my altar/fireplace mantle from "winter bare" to "springy." I put DD's wool eggs in a basket, but she saw them and demanded that I return them. Maybe I'll get a vase of spring flowers from the florist. Oh, I know! I should put out the ceramic morel mushroom my grandmother gave me. The real ones should be popping up around here in a few weeks.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mercyn View Post
anyone doing anything for st.patrick's day? for or against? thoughts? i am celebrating Irish heritage (even though we aren't Irish) and we're having corned beef and cabbage. or, i am. ds doesn't like either. he'll probably have a veggie dog
I almost never do anything for St. Patrick's Day, but I like the idea of starting to celebrate my Irish heritage. (Only problem is that I have like 20 other branches of my heritage that I need to celebrate as well. ) I have a cabbage in the fridge waiting to be turned into cole slaw. I wonder if I still have a copy of The Tain lying around from college...

The weather has been positively amazing here lately. Highs in the 60's and 70's, up to the low 80's a couple of days. We've been hiking and visiting the park and pruning fruit trees and planting the garden. It feels SO good. Unfortunately, a cold front is moving through right now, and we'll be back to highs in the 40's. : But spring has come for a brief visit and she promised to return soon, and I can't wait!

I have to share my DD's experience in the garden today. The soil was soft and fluffy because my FIL had just tilled it. DD took off her shoes and ran around in it, saying, "I'm making footprints! I'm making footprints!" It was so cute. She also helped us plant some seeds by dropping handfuls of them at a time, so there are going to be places in our otherwise straight rows where big clumps come up, LOL. I'm sure those will be my favorite spots of all!
Old 03-15-2007, 01:00 PM

Wombatclay~ Hey! I missed you around here! Are you working right up till the baby arrives earthside? If so, don't let those undergraduates stress you out! Read any good books lately?:
Pixiepunk and Jennisee~ I loved reading about your wonderful Spring adventures with the family! My almost 3 year old dd and I planted pea seeds last week and it was such a beautiful experience. They have not sprouted yet- any day now I expect. The radish seeds were up in two days- eager little beavers!

I expect we will do pretty much what we do every day on the Vernal Equinox- enjoy the Spring blooms, take care of our baby chickens... Maybe I will make rolls and take the girls down to the sheep farm to see the lambs.

St. Patty's Day~ This year we'll be going to a birthday party. Friends sent us green hats and feather boas, so we'll be going to the party in style! Luckily, it's not a green beer sort of party- although there will no doubt be plenty of Guinness.

Old 03-15-2007, 01:24 PM

Pixie~ your day sounds fabulous! What a nice day, walk through nature, with the kiddos and hubby, sounds like the best!

OTJ~ Aww, what a sweet little guy!

Lets see, for the equinox, not sure what we're doing yet, it kind of snuck up on me, I didn't realize it was so late in March : . We'll probably dye some eggs, not sure what else yet.

And for St. Patty's Day, since I have Irish heritage, I should do more, but I usually just wear green on that day and that's about it.
Old 03-15-2007, 03:17 PM

I just came here to post the link to the Onion article but I see someone else beat me to it I was cracking up the whole way through.

Great for nature studies! http://www.pleinairkids.com
Plein Air Kids - Handmade wooden art boxes for Budding Artists.
Old 03-15-2007, 04:17 PM

WombatClay- how are you feeling?

I have no plans as of now for the equinox...I wish i did, but I just would be very disppointed if they didn't work out due to how I am feeling. We can always due something last minute.

I shared the Onion bit with dh (he's a huge fan!). Funny!
And about this time last year I would have been clueless to what they were talking about.

I was having some anxiety today and my cat jumped in my lap and began purring. I feel better. Thanks Miss Aurora!

Dhjammin.gif, Me knit.gif, DD 10 REPlaySkateboard04HL.gif, DD 7 cat.gif, DD 4 joy.gif

We reading.gif, homeschool.gif, cold.gif, eat.gif, sleepytime.gif not in that order

Old 03-15-2007, 06:01 PM

OMG - i just got a chance to read the Onion piece. :
Old 03-15-2007, 09:55 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by HelloKitty View Post
I just came here to post the link to the Onion article but I see someone else beat me to it I was cracking up the whole way through.
That was just too hilarious! Thanks for that Salivia hehe

Quote:
Originally Posted by wombatclay View Post
Oh my goodness...I just realized that I hadn't subbed for the month! Ack! 10 pages of fun and exciting posts and too little time to read!
Welcome back Wombatclay

My hubby mentioned an idea to me the other day of starting up a local 'pagans in the park' get together at the lake near our house.. they have one of these in the city at the botanical gardens but it's a bit far. We live in a pretty mainstream neighborhood but surely there must be SOME other pagans out here! I know my girlfriend & her family would come so at the very least it'd be a good excuse to get together and hang out Although I'm fairly out of the closet, I find myself a bit nervous about the idea of getting a card for the community bulletin board to advertise it Which is rather amusing because I have no concern at all about wearing my pentacle etc ...but then nobody has to 'approve' my pentacle either : Just rambling.. I'll stop now lol.

Pagan  lovin'  WOW playing mum to 5 boys in the wonderful land of Oz ... FOR THE HORDE! hehehe
Old 03-15-2007, 10:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HelloKitty View Post
Well, HelloKitty- glad I could beat you to the punch line! It's odd because I don't read the Onion that often, but someone else posted a link to a little (and very funny) piece they had on The Secret. Then I saw this one...

hey- where the heck you been, Kitty?!?

Cari~ Was my name misspell on purpose? Good luck with your Pagans in the Park. Hope there is no dry humping. Remember that conversation? :

Old 03-15-2007, 10:53 PM - Thread Starter

LMAO oops pardon the typo Salvia Had a wee one on my lap and didn't catch it and YES I remember the dry humping convo OMG!!! : I may have to rethink the idea now that you brought it up lmao... may a nice 'pagans in the coffee house' instead??? hehehe

Old 03-15-2007, 10:56 PM

Cari~ I was just at a park. I did talk to strangers but I did not dry hump anyone. Not even the cute poodle.

Old 03-15-2007, 11:47 PM

Ok, I missed something good! LOL

Hey was "The Secret" article really short with points? That was funny if that was it.

H

Old 03-15-2007, 11:52 PM

My dh is so wonderful! My birthday gift just arrived in the mail! He ordered from Gaelsong ~ a Triple Goddess Plaque, a Tree of Life Cloth, a Cerridwen Plaque, and a Celtic Medley Shortbread Pan!

I have been wanting new things to decorate the house with, and these are perfect!
Old 03-15-2007, 11:57 PM

So tomorrow is Dragon Day at Cornell...very bacchanalia/rite of spring. The architect students build a giant fire breathing dragon and parade it around capmus (the students are mostly cross dressed, in costume, naked and painted green, or what have you) while the engineering students build a large Phoenix which attacks the dragon.

Eventually the dragon makes it to the main Quad where it is ritually burned (each year they try to make it burn faster/hotter/with more flames) while the architects drum and run in circles screaming.

It's a total blast, absurdly pagan, and much fun. There's even a wikipedia page if anyone is curious (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dragon_Day). It sort of gets me into the holiday mood...

I'm looking at the equinox as a new beginning (the doctors gave us some more tests and things to look for but didn't have a clue what was wrong with my dad, we've all been sick for the past week, and although the pregnancy is really going well the 3rd trimester has stolen all my energy!). I'm planning a big Spring Cleaning for this weekend...the weather is odd (60's yesterday, several inches of snow today) but the windows will all be open, the doors will be open, the floors and walls are getting washed down with a nice herbal blend, candles and incense will be burning, and Sunday night we'll celebrate a little early with a wonderful spring salad, a giant omlette, and hot crossed buns.

Oh and we're planning to make eostre eggs to hang on the door (I hot glue them into a wreath, and I also hang them off of branches like ornaments) and Maple Candy....let me know if anyone wants the recipe, it's easy to make but VERY sweet. But I like the connection to the sap starting to move in the trees and sprin should be sweet, right?

Be pretty! Be practical! Be Pagan! Visit Pagan Hearth & Home!
 mama to lady.gif(4/05), hearts.gif(6/07vbac), diaper.gif(8/09vbac), and babygirl.gif (9/11vbac)

Old 03-16-2007, 01:23 AM

Holy Birthday Booty, maeveypoo! You hit the mother load! Great stuff!

Wombatclay~ Oh my goddess, I would so love to be there for the Dragon Day! That sounds like a blast!

Anyone every see the band Crash Worship?

I'm so glad your pregnancy is going well - but sorry to hear about illnesses and continued uncertainty about your Dad. I love your idea about cleaning house and starting new. I am not so much in the mood for a ritual, but a good floor washing sounds right on!

Eeep! Snow for you all in the East!?!?

OdetoJoy~ I keep meaning to say that it was so sweet what your ds said! Hope your doctor's appointment goes well.

Old 03-16-2007, 01:37 AM

sorry for topping myself...

But, I just had to share that we have baby chickens, and my 6 year old dd named them Tut, Isis, Athena and Jesus.

Happy Spring!

User Tag List