Cloth Diapers on Yom Tov - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 20 Old 06-04-2003, 06:32 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
So, I just started Cding- 2 weeks ago. The diapers that I asked my Mom to buy me- for my Bday (it was in march) *just* came.
Shabbos was ok, I just put the diapers in a bag (don't even have a pail yet) and waited till after shabbos. I was actually only doing days because the diapers I got are not the greatest. But he had a Cd on last night- And no leaks!! Yay!
Usually with the poopy ones I rinse them in the toilet with the showerhead until there are no pieces. On shabbos I waited until after.
Shavuos will be the rare occurance of a two day yom tov here- what can I do to rinse or soak the diaps? Anything?
Amy? Chava?
TIA

-BelovedBird

Mom of 5 boys- 13, 10, 8, 2 : and newbie Aug. 24th, '09 . babywearing advocate . Cook, baker, homemaker, wife to a man with another woman's kidney (live altruistic, unknown donor).
#2 of 20 Old 06-04-2003, 12:27 PM

i use 'sposies.

#3 of 20 Old 06-04-2003, 12:31 PM

Whew. So now that my guilt is out in the open ... tried to change when DD was 1.5 to CDs but the initial expense threw us for a loop, then found that our apartment building would not be pleased if we washed them in the building's machines, plus we'd have to run two or three extra cycles, which in our building's overpriced and undersized machines is a scary prospect, so we'd have to go to a laundromat, the nearest of which is a bus-ride away.

Soooooo ... no CDs at this point, anyway.

But Chava, you can answer this one, you kosher hyena you. So what does one do on Shabbos/Yom Tov with CDs?

Just in case I do teshuva someday, that is ... :LOL
#4 of 20 Old 06-04-2003, 01:02 PM

Good for you! Cloth diapers are so wonderful that I actually miss using them when my kids graduate to the potty.

As far as Yom Tov, you can shake off any poop if possible, but not rinse or soak the diapers. And putting them in a bag, (preferably a water resistant washable one), should be fine for an extra day. I'd use a separate bag than the other diapers though.

I'm not sure what you're using for covers, but I believe it's actually okay to rinse them off if they're all plastic. But we prefer natural-fiber covers as well...

By the way, cloth diapers usually become more absorbant after several washes so they may work just fine overnight. And you can also double diaper.
#5 of 20 Old 06-04-2003, 06:32 PM

I "dry pail", so shabbos and yom tov aren't an issue. I also use disposable flushable diaper liners (which can be purchased at baby stores in Israel, as oppossed to the US where you have to order them on-line). This makes things much easier, b/c if you have "kaka" on the diaper you just flush the liner and then put the diaper in the pail. I'm not sure how old your baby is, but it only becomes an issue once solids are introduced - breastmilk "kaka" can go right into the washer.

I don't know what kind of diapers you got, but I have a friend in Jerusalem who says she has around 100 quality cd's (cuddlebuns and things like that) and "maybe she should sell some off since she isn't using them". And you call me the Kosher Hyena! I could put you in touch with her and maybe you could buy some of them. Definately cheaper than buying and shipping from the US. PM or e-mail me if you have any more questions - even if it's just how to use cd's at night and have a dry baby in the morning.

[hehehehe - "kosher hyena". And I've been wondering what my senior name would be should I ever hit 1000 posts.]
#6 of 20 Old 06-04-2003, 07:55 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks so much Chava! I will have to PM you to get your friends number. I don't know how dh will like it though BWWHHAHA.
But the liner suggestion won't work here- we live in the old city and the plumbing doesn't even allow for us to flush regular TP.
Mabey I'll go with sposies over Y"T.
Oh and what I have. Nuttin fancy. 6 country comfort. 2 kushies and 4 similar. 3 covers- one bumpkins, one diaperap and one kooshies. For night I put on one diaper with lots of pads/ doublers (?) and the bumpkins. My son is 18 months and not a heavy wetter.

Chag Samaach, BTW

-BelovedBird

Mom of 5 boys- 13, 10, 8, 2 : and newbie Aug. 24th, '09 . babywearing advocate . Cook, baker, homemaker, wife to a man with another woman's kidney (live altruistic, unknown donor).
#7 of 20 Old 06-04-2003, 08:02 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by BelovedBird

But the liner suggestion won't work here- we live in the old city and the plumbing doesn't even allow for us to flush regular TP.
You could always just throw them away. It's certainly better than pitching a sposie! The liners just spare your diapers from sitting around with "kaka" on them.

Chag Sameach to you too! (My this certainly is an interesting juxtaposition of themes here. )
#8 of 20 Old 06-04-2003, 09:46 PM

Congrats on the cloth, BB!

I use a dry pail, but lately have begun dunking and rinsing so I know what you are going through!

I use a dry pail, but could you not set up a wet pail before Shavuot begins, and just put the poopies in there? You could even add some tea tree oil or other natural disinfectant if you're worried about smell and yuckies growing in there.

T - what is Yom Tov? We will be attempting to celebrate our first Shavuot (DH mentioned dairy deserts and I was like "I'm all about Shavuot then!", lol). Is the idea that you do your Shabbos routine over the two days of Shavuot?

teapot2.GIF Homeschooling, Homesteading Mama to DD ('02) and DS ('04)  ribbonjigsaw.gif blogging.jpg homeschool.gif

#9 of 20 Old 06-04-2003, 10:15 PM - Thread Starter

Amy, I'm still not sure I will be able to stick with it. We have no outdoor area in this apt whatsoever, few windows or air and a mold problem. So I must use the drier and I can't leave wet diapers sit for more than one day. Don't feel bad.

I guess you're right Chava.

Piglet:

Quote:
I use a dry pail, but could you not set up a wet pail before Shavuot begins, and just put the poopies in there?
That was what I was trying to figure out. I'm not sure if soaking like that is permitted, I strongly suspect not though.
Quote:
what is Yom Tov? We will be attempting to celebrate our first Shavuot (DH mentioned dairy deserts and I was like "I'm all about Shavuot then!", lol). Is the idea that you do your Shabbos routine over the two days of Shavuot?
Yom Tov literally means "good day", it is the term we use for a holiday.
Holiays are similar to shabbos but they each have their own laws and customs. And cooking and carrying and fire transfer are permitted.
Have fun! shavuos is a very special holiday!
-BelovedBird

#10 of 20 Old 06-04-2003, 10:22 PM

Quote:
I'm not sure if soaking like that is permitted, I strongly suspect not though.
It's not permitted. But not really needed either.

I'm so sorry you don't have a place to hang clothing! I thought everyone in Israel did. I put my dipes through a cycle in the dryer and then hang any that are still damp inside in the laundry room. That would probably work for you - do you have a 'mirpeset sherut'?
#11 of 20 Old 06-04-2003, 10:34 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally posted by Mom2six
do you have a 'mirpeset sherut'?
Nope! We live in a 300 yr old house in the old city. Our front door is right on the cobbelstone street. Like lierally. It is actually more of an alley. There is room for a car driving and in some parts a car parked- very close to the wall. I am told the woman who lived in this apt before us put her drying rack in the street. I would just imagine it getting knocked over by a car. Plus it is dusty with lots of construction around, and the clothes on a rack are not blowing. I just don't think of that as very "clean"

-BelovedBird

#12 of 20 Old 06-04-2003, 11:22 PM

Quote:
Nope! We live in a 300 yr old house in the old city. Our front door is right on the cobbelstone street.
Well - there's always the living room (or bedroom, or kitchen...) LOL.

Good luck- hang in there. You'll love it once you get it down. And CHAG SAMEACH!!!!
#13 of 20 Old 06-05-2003, 01:02 AM

bs"d

So, it's erev Shavous... Chag Sameach!

BB- It's neat that you are trying out the cloth. Really, stick with it. If you need help ask away or go on over to diapering. After a few weeks of fine tuning, all my leaks disappeared!

I have a washer, but no dryer (small NYC apartment). I hang the dipes all over the place: in the living room, the bedrooms, kitchen, wherever. This is how I got my amazing revelation that sun bleaching works through windows! I also dry pail, so no issue there for me. What I wonder about is the permissibility of folding the dipes on Shabbos/Yom Tov. I suspect it is okay since it is for use on the same day, but I'm not certain. [U]Shemirath Shabbos[U/] doesn't clarify it for me (although it does mention that one shouldn't soak dipes on Shabbos). I keep meaning to ask a shiylah, but keep forgetting that one when I call the Rav.
#14 of 20 Old 06-05-2003, 11:08 AM

So everyone ignored my previous post. That's okay. It's not the first time.

I just wanted to add that BelovedBird should be happy she doesn't have to worry about the three-days we sometimes go here in the diaspora.

Although even that's not so bad with a good sac to keep the diapers in. I recommend one with a pull-tie to keep odors in!

Some people do soak their diapers in a wet pail though. They consider this permissible to avoid the odor. (I suppose sort of like soaking dishes in cold water.) Of course they don't rinse until after the holiday though.

Happy diapering and Chag Sameach!
#15 of 20 Old 06-07-2003, 11:52 AM

I missed this thread - and now it is too late but I just want to say that I have left poopie diapers for two or three days (you'd need to do three if rosh hashannah or pesach comes right before shabbat) with no problem. The liners would help save your dipes and I'd definitely consider using those during the hag. if you have a pail with a tight fitting lid it should not smell at all. if the poops are solid just shake them off. if they aren't solid just throw the whole dipe in the pail and don't worry about it - they should come off in the wash and you can always wash twice if they don't.
ask me any other questions you have - I am a professional LOL

edited to say - oops just noticed you said liners are no good. that's okay they really are not neccesary.

I'm Andrea - I have three boys - 12 year old twins & an 11 year old

#16 of 20 Old 06-07-2003, 12:15 PM

ps I also want to say that it is so great you made the switch. I do really consider it a mitzvah - tikkun olam - fixing the earth....

Lo alecha hamlacha ligmor V'lo atah ben chorin l'hibatel mimena

It is not yours to complete the task - neither are you free to desist from it.

edited to translate the Hebrew

#17 of 20 Old 06-10-2003, 03:25 PM - Thread Starter

Thank you *everyone* for your input!! I really hope I am able to stickl with CDing!

I just dry pailed them (and I am continuing to) and everything came out just fine. Except the edges of the country comforts that have some kind of plastic (the leg gussets??) are a little stained, but I think it will come out after a few washes.
And no smell! I kept them in a pail with a tight lid.

-BelovedBird

#18 of 20 Old 06-10-2003, 03:31 PM

that's what we do too

lemon juice and sun take out stains great

#19 of 20 Old 06-11-2003, 05:41 PM

b'h

we cd with a dry pail, so no problems with that. does lemon really take out stains? how do you do it? in the washing machine...?
#20 of 20 Old 06-11-2003, 05:51 PM

I just spray a mix of lemon juice and water on stains before sunning them

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page