Anyone know what Messianic Christianity is? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 9 Old 06-06-2003, 03:56 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I have tried to look into it with searches, and just get more confused. Anyone have just a simple, basic explanation?

I am thinking it is Christians who embrace their Jewish heritage/culture by keeping the Biblicial Holidays or other customs, not beacuse they believe we are under the law, but because they believe that is what God gave us.
Is that right?

Does anyone know of any good websites or how to find a church?
Any experiences, good or bad?

TIA!
#2 of 9 Old 06-06-2003, 05:04 PM

I don't know much about it, but I came across this website a while ago. http://www.biblicalholidays.com/ Maybe it will help?
#3 of 9 Old 06-07-2003, 11:30 PM

I'm familiar with the term "Messianic Jew" meaning someone of traditional Jewish faith/culture who believes that Jesus was/is the Messiah. Is that what you meant?
#4 of 9 Old 06-08-2003, 02:24 AM

We have friends who are Messianic Christians, and yes, I think your deffination fits. By adoption, through Jesus, they embrace the acient Hebrew heritage (which I believe, would be different from the modern day Judaism.)

I don't know of any web sites, but most Messianic churches are welcoming to both Messianic Jews and Christians alike.
#5 of 9 Old 06-09-2003, 07:34 PM

I have a friend who is what she calls a "Hebrew Christian" - per your definition. She going to a Messianic Jewish synagogue (as defined by mamajamz). She runs a parenting group on yahoo - pm me and I can get you in touch with her/the group. She might know some stuff about congregations etc.

Meghan, mom to 11yo, 8yo, and 3yo 

#6 of 9 Old 06-11-2003, 01:28 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks everybody!

I am just starting looking into this, so I appreciate the info to help me put it all together.

#7 of 9 Old 06-11-2003, 07:34 PM

I might be wrong, but I always thought it was a Jewish person (by both faith and culture) who came to believe Jesus is the Messiah. The belief in Jesus is the only thing that seperates them from the larger Jewish community.

Mom to 10yo Autistic Wonder Boy and 6yo Inquisitive Fireball Girl . December birthdays.

#8 of 9 Old 06-12-2003, 12:42 AM

Quote:
... by Jennifer Z
... I might be wrong, but I always thought it was a Jewish person (by both faith and culture) who came to believe Jesus is the Messiah. The belief in Jesus is the only thing that seperates them from the larger Jewish community.
Just to clarify from a Jewish perspective ... and as someone who knows several people who have been through the "messianic" experience ...

Many if not most of the people in these congregations are not technically Jewish. They are dedicated, however, toward the purpose of converting people who are technically Jewish. They are all funded by various evangelical Christian groups. And as they are, to a degree, successful in their efforts, there are invariably some members who are. Jewish, that is.

But the majority are not.

And they do use Jewish ritual objects in their worship, but ... as I've been told by people who've been through them ... they're not used correctly or authentically. The objects are on display, and their use is changed to reflect Christian theological concepts, but their familiarity is used as part of the lure to potential Jewish converts.

The belief in Jesus is only one of many things that separates them from the larger Jewish community ...

#9 of 9 Old 06-12-2003, 07:45 AM

Thanks so much for the clarification. This area is very Christian dominated and it really can distort my perceptions sometimes, even without me realizing it. I am glad you told me this so I can share this if the subject comes up...I hate passing on misinformation.

Mom to 10yo Autistic Wonder Boy and 6yo Inquisitive Fireball Girl . December birthdays.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page