Catholic mamas Easter 2007 thread - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 131 Old 04-09-2007, 02:58 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Hope no one minds, I thought I'd start a new thread (new life, new thread, lol!)

Here's the last one- http://www.mothering.com/discussions...608461&page=13

Is anyone else doing the Divine Mercy Novena? I'm doing it (the pamphlets were there on Good Friday when I went to the Stations of the cross) but I'm still not entirely sure what it's all about. I love the Divine Mercy though, I bawl like a baby every time I watch it in song on EWTN!

I was hoping to go to Mass this morning, but I fell back asleep after my alarm went off!
#2 of 131 Old 04-09-2007, 05:33 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Hi. I thought I should introduce myself now that I'm officialy Catholic. I was baptized, confirmed and recieved first communion at the Easter Vigil. My 6wk old son was also baptized (right before I was!) Dh is a cradle Catholic and we've been married for 4.5 yrs.

I wish we had cable. EWTN sounds like a great channel!

Mama of three.

#3 of 131 Old 04-09-2007, 06:45 PM

I'm so glad there's an Easter thread. I was patiently waiting until I had my 50 posts because I heard so much about the spirituality forums Catholic posts, but then I couldn't keep up with MDC.

Making the transition to Easter is going to be tough. I was really enjoying saying a decade of the rosary every work day with a colleague, but we are going down to once a week. We just don't have the time for a daily gig. Now if I can keep it going on my own, I'll be happy.

And welcome elm23! I came into the Church last year. Hard to believe it was only a year ago.

Beth.
Trying to be a joyful Catholic wife and mama, and taking it one day at a time!
#4 of 131 Old 04-09-2007, 08:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CherryBomb View Post
Hope no one minds, I thought I'd start a new thread (new life, new thread, lol!)

Here's the last one- http://www.mothering.com/discussions...608461&page=13

Is anyone else doing the Divine Mercy Novena? I'm doing it (the pamphlets were there on Good Friday when I went to the Stations of the cross) but I'm still not entirely sure what it's all about. I love the Divine Mercy though, I bawl like a baby every time I watch it in song on EWTN!

I was hoping to go to Mass this morning, but I fell back asleep after my alarm went off!
Glad you started the new thread! And I also missed daily Mass this morning, I was so tired after getting home late last night!

And yes, definitely doing the Divine Mercy Novena, it is SO powerful!! What it's all about is, basically, that our Lord revealed it to St. Faustina (a Polish nun) in the 1930s and there is a plenary indulgence available (full remission of the temporal punishment due to forgiven sins!!) if you do the following:

Meet the usual conditions for a plenary indulgence:

--sacramental confession (within abut 20 days before or after)
--receive the Eucharist (preferably on the day, or the days before or after)
--prayer for the intentions of the Holy Father (any prayers but usually at least an Our Father and a Hail Mary)

And the specific conditions for this indulgence:

"On Divine Mercy Sunday in any church or chapel, in a spirit that is completely detached from the affection for a sin, even a venial sin, take part in the prayers and devotions held in honour of Divine Mercy or, in the presence of the Blessed Sacrament exposed or reserved in the tabernacle, recite the Our Father and the Creed, adding a devout prayer to the merciful Lord Jesus (e.g. "Merciful Jesus, I trust in you!")

Our Lord also said to St. Faustina, "When they say this chaplet in the presence of the dying, I will stand between My Father and the dying person, not as the just Judge but as the Merciful Saviour."

Quote:
Originally Posted by elmh23 View Post
Hi. I thought I should introduce myself now that I'm officialy Catholic. I was baptized, confirmed and recieved first communion at the Easter Vigil. My 6wk old son was also baptized (right before I was!) Dh is a cradle Catholic and we've been married for 4.5 yrs.

Congratulations to you both and welcome!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by whittaker View Post
I'm so glad there's an Easter thread. I was patiently waiting until I had my 50 posts because I heard so much about the spirituality forums Catholic posts, but then I couldn't keep up with MDC.

Making the transition to Easter is going to be tough. I was really enjoying saying a decade of the rosary every work day with a colleague, but we are going down to once a week. We just don't have the time for a daily gig. Now if I can keep it going on my own, I'll be happy.

And welcome elm23! I came into the Church last year. Hard to believe it was only a year ago.
Welcome to you too!!

Kerriintactlact.gif blessed single mama to Teresa 8/2/02blahblah.gif, Madeleine 5/28/04dust.gif, Andrew 6/25/06jammin.gif, and Isabelle ribboncesarean.gif11/27/08energy.gif

#5 of 131 Old 04-09-2007, 08:42 PM

Vicki, you had asked in the other thread - we live about 1 hr 45 min from my folks. So not right around the corner, but not too far, we'll be close enough to help during his treatment.

Kerriintactlact.gif blessed single mama to Teresa 8/2/02blahblah.gif, Madeleine 5/28/04dust.gif, Andrew 6/25/06jammin.gif, and Isabelle ribboncesarean.gif11/27/08energy.gif

#6 of 131 Old 04-09-2007, 08:49 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks BFM! I knew it was revealed to St. Faustina, but I didn't know about the specifics, that was a great help Just a few questions- when exactly is Divine Mercy Sunday? Is that this coming Sunday? What exactly does prayer for the intention of the Holy Father mean? Praying for him, or praying the same intention he's praying? When it says to receive the Eucharist on "the day" does that mean the last day of the novena? Sorry, that turned out to be more questions than I thought!!

Erin, congratulations and welcome home! My husband and I were both brought into the church on Saturday, too.

And welcome to you, whittaker, as well!
#7 of 131 Old 04-10-2007, 01:23 AM

I can't believe I didn't start the Novena to the Divine Mercy on Good Friday. I didn't even think of it until I read the thread today. I watch EWTN and still forgot! :

Welcome elmh23!
#8 of 131 Old 04-10-2007, 01:28 AM

I converted in 2003. Kind of had a falling away in 2005/2006, now I'm back and relearning my faith. I have followed these threads for awhile, just didn't feel I had a place posting. My husband is in the process of converting and also getting an annulment for his first marriage so we can get married in the Catholic church. We are really looking forward to that. We are Traditional Catholics.

Our first child was just baptized a few weeks ago.

Look forward to chatting with you ladies.
Julie

Julie ~ homesteading, Traditional Catholic, wife to Chip, mom to Angelbaby(4-06), DS (3-07), and DD (11-09).
#9 of 131 Old 04-10-2007, 10:26 AM - Thread Starter

Hi Julie, welcome!

It's okay Vicki, I would've missed starting the Divine Mercy, too, if I hadn't gone to the stations!! I almost forgot to do it last night, too (did it right before midnight, eep!)
#10 of 131 Old 04-10-2007, 01:06 PM

Quote:
Thanks BFM! I knew it was revealed to St. Faustina, but I didn't know about the specifics, that was a great help Just a few questions- when exactly is Divine Mercy Sunday? Is that this coming Sunday? What exactly does prayer for the intention of the Holy Father mean? Praying for him, or praying the same intention he's praying? When it says to receive the Eucharist on "the day" does that mean the last day of the novena? Sorry, that turned out to be more questions than I thought!!
No problem!

Just to clarify, the novena is wonderful and powerful and has special graces attached to it, but it is not a requirement for the indulgence! The indulgence is something separate.

Yes, Divine Mercy Sunday is this Sunday, it's always the Second Sunday of Easter.

Technically praying for the intentions of the Holy Father means praying for whatever he's praying for, if that makes sense, but I think praying for him is basically the same thing!

It refers to receiving the Eucharist on the day of Divine Mercy Sunday, which is easy since it's Sunday anyway! But the day before or after is OK, like in case, I don't know, you committed a sin you needed to confess first or you were late and missed the Gospel or you forgot and ate something right before Mass and hadn't fasted for an hour or whatever and for some reason didn't receive at Mass, you could go to daily Mass the next day and it would still "count."

Quote:
Originally Posted by doulamomvicki View Post
I can't believe I didn't start the Novena to the Divine Mercy on Good Friday. I didn't even think of it until I read the thread today. I watch EWTN and still forgot! :

Welcome elmh23!
I would still do it, just do all the prayers for the days you missed and catch up! I don't believe that God would mind

Quote:
Originally Posted by simple life View Post
I converted in 2003. Kind of had a falling away in 2005/2006, now I'm back and relearning my faith. I have followed these threads for awhile, just didn't feel I had a place posting. My husband is in the process of converting and also getting an annulment for his first marriage so we can get married in the Catholic church. We are really looking forward to that. We are Traditional Catholics.

Julie
Welcome!!

#11 of 131 Old 04-10-2007, 01:40 PM

Anybody make it to all the Holy Week services? We went home to visit, and were traveling on Holy Thursday, but we made Good Friday, Easter Vigil, and Easter morn. We went to a beautiful old German church with MIL. I love those old churches with all the stained glass and carved wood, even still had the old altar! Gorgeous. Really makes you think about the majesty of God. I hope we can find a Divine Mercy service around here now that we're home.
#12 of 131 Old 04-10-2007, 02:37 PM

Hello all,

I don't post much on MDC, but we recently moved to Colorado and I'm seeking connections so I thought I'd participate a bit more.

My name is Jessica. My husband and I were privately received into the Church in February of 2001. We have two boys so far, ages five and one, and we teach natural family planning through the Couple to Couple League. We hope to start TTC baby number three within the next year.

We relocated from California, the SF Bay area, to Colorado in January for the affordable housing. Our next door neighbors are the boys' godparents.

I had meant to do the Divine Mercy Novena, but have completely forgotten thus far.

--Jessica

Mom to Dom age 11, Joe age 7, and baby Maddie. love.gif

#13 of 131 Old 04-10-2007, 02:39 PM - Thread Starter

Tammy- I did manage to make it to everything this year! It was my first Holy Thursday and my first Stations of the Cross, very lovely!

Are Divine Mercy services usually a part of the Sunday mass? If we don't have one could I do the chaplet in the tabernacle on Sunday for the indulgence? Boy, I've been working on this for 18 months and there's still so much to learn!
#14 of 131 Old 04-10-2007, 04:25 PM

Hey all, we could use some prayers. My 2-year-old Sarah seems to have come down with an ear infection. Not a big deal for most kids, but for her any illness is. She suffers from something called atopic allergies, which means she could develop an allergy at any time. We've noticed that when she is sick and given something new, is when it usually happens. As a result, she's allergic to -cillan drugs, Zithromax (the alternative for -cillan drugs) and the pain reliever her doc gave her during her last ei. We're obviously not giving her meds right now, but I need prayers that she won't react to the homeopathics we use or any foods (she's already allergic to peanut, soy and possibly fish ) Thanks.

Mama of three.

#15 of 131 Old 04-10-2007, 10:33 PM - Thread Starter

How nerve-wracking, Erin! Many : for your little one!
#16 of 131 Old 04-11-2007, 12:09 AM

Hi All,

Subbing... I don't know if I posted here to say that I quit my full time job and am now a full time student and SAHM! For the first time ever.: So things are totally crazy as we get our house in some semblance of order for people to actually be home in (yes, we have "lived" here for 4 years; it is still very different "being" here you know?) and as I try to keep up on my classes. Hopefully will get a chance to write more later. Blessings mamas and welcome to our new mamas to the thread!

Ange. Mama to boys. Yup. All Boys. All Intact. A bunch of other NFL, crunchy credentials too.
#17 of 131 Old 04-11-2007, 12:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cathochick View Post
Hello all,

I don't post much on MDC, but we recently moved to Colorado and I'm seeking connections so I thought I'd participate a bit more.

My name is Jessica. My husband and I were privately received into the Church in February of 2001. We have two boys so far, ages five and one, and we teach natural family planning through the Couple to Couple League. We hope to start TTC baby number three within the next year.

We relocated from California, the SF Bay area, to Colorado in January for the affordable housing. Our next door neighbors are the boys' godparents.

I had meant to do the Divine Mercy Novena, but have completely forgotten thus far.
Welcome! A newbie catholic here....where and when can you do the Divine Mercy Novena....where can you find the prayer? online somewere perhaps?
#18 of 131 Old 04-11-2007, 01:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by turnipmama View Post
Welcome! A newbie catholic here....where and when can you do the Divine Mercy Novena....where can you find the prayer? online somewere perhaps?
Here ya go!

http://www.ewtn.com/devotionals/mercy/

I don't post often (obviously!) but I'm happy to see the new thread.

I also wanted to thank those of you who have explained the Church's teachings so well over in the Religious Studies forum.
#19 of 131 Old 04-11-2007, 06:15 PM

Congrats on staying home Paddington!

Dd is doing better. So far I've only put breastmilk into her ear and we've gone to the chiro (first time ever!) Hopefully it will end soon and I wouldn't have put anything foreign in her body for her to react to.

Mama of three.

#20 of 131 Old 04-12-2007, 01:26 AM

Quote:

are you talking about when donna cori gibson sings the divine mercy chaplet? i dont have ewtn so i dont know : i <3 donna! I saw her live! it was SOOO moving

: i screwed up bad.
i did not go to church once this lenten season. I did not even make it on easter thanks to my mother.
I feel like i have "fallen" off the wagon. I just want to actually make it to church. and feel a part of it all.
but its hard, because i am not catholic, so i guess really i am not a part of it all

2 kids. 1 more on the way. Cloth diapers, home birth, and boojuu is how I roll.

#21 of 131 Old 04-12-2007, 02:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by exquisitebones View Post
are you talking about when donna cori gibson sings the divine mercy chaplet? i dont have ewtn so i dont know : i <3 donna! I saw her live! it was SOOO moving

i did not go to church once this lenten season. I did not even make it on easter thanks to my mother.
I feel like i have "fallen" off the wagon. I just want to actually make it to church. and feel a part of it all.
but its hard, because i am not catholic, so i guess really i am not a part of it all
You most definitely have to get into the habit of it. If I break the habit it is hard to get back... Just get back into it.... I am good now with ensuring I do Sunday, I just need to get into the habit of going on other days... Still working on that...

Ange. Mama to boys. Yup. All Boys. All Intact. A bunch of other NFL, crunchy credentials too.
#22 of 131 Old 04-12-2007, 04:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paddington View Post
You most definitely have to get into the habit of it. If I break the habit it is hard to get back... Just get back into it.... I am good now with ensuring I do Sunday, I just need to get into the habit of going on other days... Still working on that...
ironically enough, i was always better at doing daily mass than sundays
mostly cos sundays is my only day with my NON catholic husband.. so its hard to leave him : so i always go durning the week while he is at work

#23 of 131 Old 04-12-2007, 02:07 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:

I'm not sure, it's sung primarily by 2 females and a male. One of them could be that lady though, I don't know!

And to you! Don't beat yourself up over it. There's so much you can get out of mass, even if you're not Catholic yet. And you're definitely still a part of it! We went for around 18 months before we were initiated. Have you started RCIA yet? That definitely helped us feel more included. What are the problems you're having with getting to Church?

Well even though I didn't make it to mass on Monday, i did make it yesterday and today! Dh works thirds so he calls me when he leaves work to wake me up and I I run over there (15 minutes away, but worth it!) while he watches the kids (and he promptly crashes when I get back!) I like morning mass more than I thought I would, it's definitely more intimate with only a handful of people!
#24 of 131 Old 04-12-2007, 04:50 PM

hi all! I just want to welcome those of you who just entered the Church! Congratulations!
#25 of 131 Old 04-12-2007, 04:57 PM

Quote:
mostly cos sundays is my only day with my NON catholic husband.. so its hard to leave him : so i always go durning the week while he is at work
I couldn't do daily before because of work. Now I can't do it because I can't wake up and get the boys ready by myself in time to be there at 7 am. Maybe when I stop studying so late....

#26 of 131 Old 04-12-2007, 09:17 PM

Erin I'm glad your little one is doing better, prayers still coming.
Paddington congrats on staying home!!!
#27 of 131 Old 04-13-2007, 04:18 PM

Just wanted to say hello to all of you-its been a while since I posted.

Paddington - congrats on being at home.

Congrats to all of the recent converts I am a cradle catholic and I still have so much to learn-its a journey.
#28 of 131 Old 04-15-2007, 05:46 PM

Quote:

Welcome! I have EWTN and *never* watch it! Think I'll take a look...

Quote:
Originally Posted by whittaker View Post

Welcome to you, too!

Quote:
Originally Posted by simple life View Post

Julie
And you!

Quote:
Originally Posted by cathochick View Post
Hello all,

Holy cow, and to you!

Quote:
Hey all, we could use some prayers. My 2-year-old Sarah seems to have come down with an ear infection. Not a big deal for most kids, but for her any illness is. She suffers from something called atopic allergies, which means she could develop an allergy at any time. We've noticed that when she is sick and given something new, is when it usually happens. As a result, she's allergic to -cillan drugs, Zithromax (the alternative for -cillan drugs) and the pain reliever her doc gave her during her last ei. We're obviously not giving her meds right now, but I need prayers that she won't react to the homeopathics we use or any foods (she's already allergic to peanut, soy and possibly fish ) Thanks.
Oh dear, we have dealt with all kinds of atopic problems and all kinds of allergy problems, but not with this. Prayers for you all.

Quote:
{{{HUGS}}}

Quote:
Originally Posted by pumpkinseed View Post
Just wanted to say hello to all of you-its been a while since I posted.

Paddington - congrats on being at home.

Congrats to all of the recent converts I am a cradle catholic and I still have so much to learn-its a journey.
Hi, Pumpkin!

I've missed all of you - have barely been on MDC since we moved from the Dallas area over the Fort Worth. Hopefully will have a few minutes now and then to check in with you all now! Happy Sunday!

Analisa, Mama to Meg 12/12/01, Patrick 12/24/03, Catherine 12/24/03, Ben 2/26/06
#29 of 131 Old 04-15-2007, 05:55 PM - Thread Starter

Hi Analisa, welcome back! EWTN is a great channel, definitely check it out! My favorite show is The Journey Home (all conversion stories!).
#30 of 131 Old 04-15-2007, 08:56 PM

Quote:
I'm not sure, it's sung primarily by 2 females and a male. One of them could be that lady though, I don't know!

And to you! Don't beat yourself up over it. There's so much you can get out of mass, even if you're not Catholic yet. And you're definitely still a part of it! We went for around 18 months before we were initiated. Have you started RCIA yet? That definitely helped us feel more included. What are the problems you're having with getting to Church?

Well even though I didn't make it to mass on Monday, i did make it yesterday and today! Dh works thirds so he calls me when he leaves work to wake me up and I I run over there (15 minutes away, but worth it!) while he watches the kids (and he promptly crashes when I get back!) I like morning mass more than I thought I would, it's definitely more intimate with only a handful of people!
I want to start RCIA, but you cant do anything until the fall when it starts here, so i dont feel like much of a part of any of it.
and i cant take communion which is sad for me
I have a hard time going, because august does not behave as well as he used to.. he kind of goes NUTZ! :
tim watches him sometimes though
i am gonna try really hard to go to at least a daily mass this week.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page