questions for Baptists?? - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 5 Old 06-11-2003, 08:29 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Dh and I some time ago found a lovely UU church that we sometimes attend ( its fairly far away but the only one that *fits us and vice versa)

we used to go to a little independent Baptist church years ago with our neighbor ( VERY long history there) and due to some bad bad things quit going

We haven't told anyone from there where we go because I feel it is not their business. I have ASKED AND TOLD several members that keep bugging her "where are the S/ why aren't they here to
please leave her alone and if they have questions ask ME. Of course they don't
We did tell her we found somewhere so she would leave me alone of sorts. The Pastor told her "well they can't be because they haven't asked for a transfer of membership"
Dh used to teach Sunday School for a Baptist church and says he was always taught you can only ask for transfer of membership to another Baptist church. Otherwise they ignore it or refuse it. Is this true?
SO what can I do to get off the membership roll up there and how can I also do it without everyone on my doorstep trying to save my soul???

TIA
#2 of 5 Old 06-12-2003, 12:00 PM

Well, I'm not baptist, but like you we were part of a baptist congregation years ago.

I think that most denominational churches are much as you discribe. Once one becomes a member, they are considered such until they ask for a transfer to another church of the same denomonation. I believe you can tell the Pastor (in person, or in writing) that you would like your name removed from the membership list because you are now attending a church of a different denomination, or a non-denominational church. However, this may get you that unwanted attention on your doorstep.

Good luck!
#3 of 5 Old 06-12-2003, 01:47 PM

I agree with you - if I understand correctly.

I think that the whole "transfer" thing is reserved for switching to another Baptist church. I think you're fine in what you're doing. They don't need to know anything at the old church, imo.
#4 of 5 Old 06-14-2003, 09:50 PM

I am a Baptist Street Preacher and all the fundamental bible believing churchies I have ever atended the pastor of the church you moved to made the contact with your last pastor, it's that easy. Although some time you will find a church that just refuses to let you go.
You say you like the church you're in now? Just use that church as you first church and if you should ever decided to move to another church use this pastor as your last pastor. don't sweat the small stuff
#5 of 5 Old 06-15-2003, 11:13 PM

Our old independant Baptist church just recently sent us a letter to inquire if we intended to stay members or wanted our names removed from the membership list. We chose the latter. I was very sad that no one even called us about the situation, just got a letter...anyway I guess this goes back to the reasons we left...thought we had close friends until we needed emotional support...sorry to be rambling!

I wouldn't worry about it jsut make a new start at your current church.
Regina

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page