What would you do re: wedding rings? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 6 Old 06-12-2003, 01:01 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
We are preparing for a validation in the Church (Sacrament of Matrimony). In other words, we're being married in the Church.

We think it would be nice to have a new ring to symbolize our covenant and God's Blessing. We've decided on a claddagh from Ireland. However, I'm not sure what to do with our "old" rings. I've worn my engagement ring (and subsequant anniversary band) for the past 6.5 years. It's a traditional ring with diamonds, etc, and I don't want to just put it away. Same with DH - he has a band that we purchased some time after our wedding that he wears on the left ring finger, and would like to continue wearing.

We will have a ring exchange during the ceremony at which time we will exchange the new rings.

My question is - should we wear our "old" rings on our right hands after that, and continue to wear the claddaghs on our left hand? Should we switch the claddaghs to the right hand (which means you're engaged, technically, but I'm not sure that matters)?

Any input?

Thanks!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 6 Old 06-12-2003, 01:28 PM

Personally, I would take the original rings off for the ceremony, but then after move the claddagh rings to the right hand and put the original rings back on the left.
Just my opinion though...I'm sure you'll do what you feel best about.
#3 of 6 Old 06-12-2003, 03:02 PM

I view wedding rings as jewelry so I would wear whichever one I felt like wearing depending on the situation.
#4 of 6 Old 06-12-2003, 06:16 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
I'd wear whichever ones seemed to have the most importance to me on my left hand, and the other on my right. So if it feels to you that the first rings have more importance, perhaps because of how long you've had them, perhaps because of it being the first wedding, then go for those on the left. If being married in the church is more important, than use those rings on the left. At least thats how I'd handle it

Could you maybe wear the claddagh on the left with the other rings as well, or would that be way too thick? I know my wedding ring/engagement ring are all that will fit on my finger without looking really bulky, but don't know how thin you're other jewlery is...

Lisa, mama to Orion (7) , Fiona Star (born sleeping @ 38wks 12/6/08) , our bitty (m/c 7/27/09) , and Charlotte Athena (11/5/10)
#5 of 6 Old 06-12-2003, 06:58 PM

I agree with Lisa, I'd wear whichever was most important to me on my left hand. And then, whichever was the next important on my right.

Or maybe you could get all the rings sized appropriately and wear them on different fingers, so you could wear them all at once?

I wear my wedding band and the first ring dh gave me on my third and fourth finger of my left hand, and my engagement ring on my right hand.
#6 of 6 Old 06-13-2003, 11:48 AM - Thread Starter

hmmm - I'm not sure WHAT to do.

I think I'll wear the claddagh on my left hand...being that it is the outward symbol of our covenant.

I can't decide if I want to wear my original rings on my right hand or left middle. Or maybe the claddagh on my left middle. Hmmm.

Oh, phooey.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page