LDS Mamas and Papas #43 - Page 11 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#301 of 582 Old 07-29-2007, 11:52 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Leiahs, I'm not offended at all. I am very sorry this is so hard for you. I know we all have struggles and nobody can say that your struggle is any harder/easier than anyone else's. May you find the peace you need. Somewhere in this is a great blessing (even beyond the new child in the world.)
Tiffani, that is great that your Sunday went so well. The elders do make such a difference. And it's nice to have a friendly ward. We've had some that were not so great and it made going to church difficult. Happy Reading!

I can hear my boys upstairs bed hopping.
#302 of 582 Old 07-30-2007, 10:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leiahs View Post
We'll *have* to move, no matter what. Not allowed to live in a 2br apartment with a family of 5, by law
Depending on where you live, you may have until 6, 12, or 24 months after the baby is born before you're required to go to the next size apartment. And I've heard that it's possible that it may not be a real *law*, just a rule that the apartment complexes like to enforce in order to get more money. You may want to find a lawyer at church or something and see if you can find out for sure.
#303 of 582 Old 07-30-2007, 10:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by klg47 View Post
Depending on where you live, you may have until 6, 12, or 24 months after the baby is born before you're required to go to the next size apartment. And I've heard that it's possible that it may not be a real *law*, just a rule that the apartment complexes like to enforce in order to get more money. You may want to find a lawyer at church or something and see if you can find out for sure.
Ohh, this is good to know. I will have to look into a little more deeply, so we aren't in a jam if things don't work out how we'd like them to! (Although this wouldn't even be an issue if DH had looked for a job back west during the last year like he promised he would....

SAHM to Melinda (Oct '03), Jacob (Aug '05),  Alex (Apr '08), and baby.gif Malcolm (Sept 29, '11)

#304 of 582 Old 07-30-2007, 11:48 AM

yeah, I've always wondered about that "law." We were in a 2 bedroom apartment when I was pregnant with DD and were told if we had a girl, we'd need a 3 bedroom, since you can't put a boy and a girl in the same bedroom, even as babies, and that this was "law" : But we knew a family in our ward who had 5 kids in a 2 bedroom. They had a boys' room, and a girls' room, and the parents slept on the couch bed in the living room. Fortunately, they were eventually able to buy a 4 bedroom house, but for a while, that was a squeeze.
#305 of 582 Old 07-30-2007, 12:58 PM

I was an intern with Provo City Housing Authority for a few months... their official policy is that you can't have siblings of opposite gender share a room if the older one is more than 6... but before that, it's not a problem. They also say that you don't *have* to move to a three bedroom until you have four children, or the third is two... before that there's no problem putting three kids in the same room, or keeping the baby in the parent's room. I don't know what the "laws" are in your area... but that's how Provo handles it.

Hope that helps!

Emily
#306 of 582 Old 07-30-2007, 01:01 PM - Thread Starter

Moonprysm, I'm excited you had some missionaries that weren't so pushy. Some are just so excited they want everyone to be baptized tomorrow!

With the bedrooms, I found out it's usually policy's not laws. You just ahve to find out what their policy is and if you can fight it I called my main office and they said I could say in a 2 bedroom until my 3rd was 2 We'll move out next spring for other reasons, but I am a bit concerned about where we'll move. We'd like to rent a house, closer to ds1 school, but if we end up in an apartment I'd rather go to a 2 bedroom. I think there's nothing wrong with my boys sharing with their sister. I grew up sleeping in my brothers room. Not because my parents put me there but because I was the only girl and hated being by myself (I guess co-sleeping would have been good for me)

So, My brother is now home and I really don't think he'll go back. Which I think is fine. he's just getting back to normal life so soon! He called a friend from the restaurant the night he came home and spent the next day with him. before he was even released. He has a job and has applied for others and is looking to a car. It'll be interesting.

I found out my oldest brother was living off condiments this last weekend. He had just finished them off and got in touch with my mom who went up to try and figure out what's going on. My therapist and myself feel he needs to go to a psychologist but he refuses to. He's had depression for a long time and went to one therapist he didn't like and refuses to try again. It drives me crazy! Anyway, I got so stressed about all my family stuff I was taking it out on my little family. Luckily things have gotten better and I've been able to quit taking it on myself.

Ok ladies, I've never said this before, but I am so tired of being pregnant! I don't know how people do it in the summer! I'm going crazy. the "morning" sickness has returned with a vengence and I'm only 28 weeks. It's so frustrating!

sorry, I just had to whine.
#307 of 582 Old 07-30-2007, 01:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by marlygf View Post
. . .I am so tired of being pregnant! I don't know how people do it in the summer!
I guess this is one benefit of me working. I am in the basement, and it's almost cold down here most of the time. (Upstairs is hot though.)

At home though, our swamp cooler wasn't working for over a week. I put in a maintenance request last Saturday, and when nothing had happened by the following Friday, I called the manager and told her I was 37 weeks pregnant, and would they please get it fixed. They did it that day
#308 of 582 Old 07-30-2007, 01:23 PM - Thread Starter

Yea, I guess it would be better if I was working and someone else was paying for the air conditioning. I am too cheap and I keep it at 80 or so in our apartment. I just can't afford to put it lower. I'm also so irritable that my poor kids are feeling it. I hate and I hope they don't blame the baby.
#309 of 582 Old 07-30-2007, 01:28 PM

so here's the deal

We decided to let our AZ house go to foreclosure.

I never in a million years thought this would happen to us. I remember even saying to my dh in the past that I didn't understand how people would let their houses go to foreclosure when all they would have to do is sell it before they get to that point.
Up until this past year we had such great credit and we will now have a nice black mark but after taking financial classes like Dave Ramsey, I'm really not too worried. I don't believe in credit cards. Any future car we buy will be full cash and never again will be buy on credit any way. Our financial future will be working on saving and investing and in a couple years we will hopefully have enough money saved and no more black marks on our credit to finally build a house we will stay in for a VERY long time. We will also make sure its a 15 year mortgage and work on paying it off.
Sure it will be tough but I feel sooo much better knowing we've done everything we could to hold on. Sacrificing food and everything you can imagine to pay both mortgages. Sacrificing the health of myself and this baby was just too much.

But you know, once we decided to walk away from the AZ, I feel sooooooooo much better.
Before this decision I felt pretty sure I wasn't going to last through July with this pregnancy. Now I know I can make it to August. The stress was really way too much for me.

The UT market seems to be slowing down a lot but at least we aren't in a big rush to sell. We've had 2 people fall through on financing which is frustrating. WE are now listed on the MLS and we've only had 2 people look at it since then. I have another showing tonight. It would be super nice to have a contract before I go into labor so I don't have a nagging worry in the back of my mind that someone will call and want to see the house when I'm in labor or shortly after I give birth.

If we sell great, we would be out of debt. If we don't at least we are starting to get back on our feet and it will take a couple months to catch up with everything.
#310 of 582 Old 07-30-2007, 02:01 PM

Pamela - I'm so sorry that things didn't work out ideally, but I'm glad you're able to move onward and upward! Believe me - I know exactly what it is like to have issues up in the air right before you give birth! Even if it's not resolved the best way, the resolution itself takes such a weight off you

Marly - Does the air conditioning affect your electric bill? Our electric bill in Houston was >$250 in the summer. Ward members with houses twice as big as our apartment had electric bills around $60! After talking to several people, our best guess is that houses are built with very good insulation, and the apartments are built with pretty much none - so despite being smaller, they cost WAY more to cool.

We are lucky because our electric/gas is rolled into our rent (our rent is low; I don't think it's inflated because of this). So we can blast the swamp cooler 24/7 and not have to pay extra. But I try to be considerate and only run it when we need it (I often turn it off while I'm at work and at night - it's usually only on when we're home).
#311 of 582 Old 07-30-2007, 02:20 PM - Thread Starter

Pamela, I'm so excited for you to have less stress. It sucks about the AZ house, but at least you can finish off the rest of the pregnancy without so much stress. Except for the fact that someone could call while you're in labor. You'll have to change your message and turn off the ringer. Just tell them to try again in a day because you're having a baby

Katie, when we lived in student housing, it didn't matter. it was all included. Here it's not. Our high electric for the summer is $50 and our high gas for the winter is $50. so I guess it's not that bad, but it's still money! We live in the middle and are east facing, so we don't get the hot afternoon sun and we get the heat in the winter from downstairs and we don't get as hot as the 3rd floor in the summer. It's not a bad situation. I did learn that my sil's electric bill isn't too much more than ours so I'm sure that's true, they are more insulated than us, which makes no sense!

Ok ladies, I have good news. It has been suck a crappy and hard month on us and then with my family issues I needed it. Ds1 has morning kindergarten This is exciting because dh can take him to school and I can pick him up. I was so stressed about having to do both because it's 20 minutes from us and I'm having a baby. I couldn't figure out what we would do while he was in school because it seemed silly to have to come home and then go back an hour later to pick him up (it's only 2.5 hours) Anyway, I am so excited that something is working out. I told dh we need this to be a nice winter because the summer has been so stressful! We got the bill from my ER visit and it was $200. I forgot that I have an in-network hospital deductible of $750. If I would have remembered that I would have just gone to an out-of-network hospital and it would have gone to my out-of-network deductible that all the baby money is going into anyway. So, hopefully after August, things will get better Oh yes and Mervyns has school uniforms on sale cheaper than anyone else, so that's even better news
#312 of 582 Old 07-30-2007, 02:39 PM

Quote:
I hate to potentially hurt the feelings of anyone TTC or having a hard time...but I very much did not want to be pregnant right now. : I don't feel ready on any level - physical, emotional, or financial.
Quote:
I'm trying not to let myself think too far ahead, because then I start feeling panicky again - like how I'm going to beat fatigue and take care of 2 kids (the fatigue has always floored me in past pregnancies), how I'm going to deal with health care providers when I'm going to be nagging DH to get us moved out of state, and so on.

Becky, I'm so sorry. I will pray for you. I noticed how you have mentioned not feeling physically ready and feeling wiped out in your last two pregnancies. I 100% understand. This may have absolutely no bearing on your siutation but I want to share this just in case and perhaps it will help someone else too. My pregnancies were always hard and physically draining. I always get so sick and I experience nausea for much of my pregnancies (I have had three, one ended in miscarriage for unknown reasons at 3 months.) Because of the serious difficulty, and my increasing physical fatigue after each pregnancy, and the postpartum depression, dh and I reluctantly agreed that we would need to stop having babies. I just can't do it. Having me be sick and depressed all the time is a major strain on both our marriage and on my parenting.

Then, I just found out that I'm gluten-intolerant. Not only gluten-intolerant, but corn-intolerant too. I've been off of gluten and corn for almost two weeks and I feel SO MUCH better. It's been amazing. Dh and I are so excited. We talked about ti and we realize that now we can plan on having more children in the future. Ideally, I will take a few years to regain my health (gluten has messed up my intestines and it won't heal overnight).

Gluten-intolerance (Celiac Disease) is one of the most under-diagnosed (so-called) "diseases" today. It affects anywhere from 1 in 133 to 1 in 100 people, yet only about 3% are actually diagnosed. The biggest symptoms are depression and fatigue, symptoms of malnutrition, and poor digestion. another common symptom is little raised, occasionally itchy bumps on the back of your arms, or on the cheeks, shoulders, back, buttocks or legs.

In the first week I went off of gluten and corn, I lost 6 pounds (without trying, all off of my middle I believe) and also lost a lot of gas and bloating. I have been using a lot of naturaly probiotic foods like organic yogurt and lacto-fermented sauerkraut, to aid digestion, since I now recognize that my digestion is really screwed up from Celiac. I chose not to be diagnosed in a hospital as it would have 1.) required me going back on wheat for up to 6 weeks for more accurate testing and 2.) disrupted my breastfeeding relationship with my youngest son and 3.) required dh to take time off of work, which he doesn't have. I did the layman's :diagnosis"-- take out the gluten and see if symtpoms disappear. For me, I had tried the gluten-free diet at first and didn't see much of a difference, although I could tell that too much wheat ws really bad for me. Then I read that for some people who are gluten-intolerant, corn protein (similar to gluten) is also best avoided. So then I tried a gluten-free, corn-free diet, and the difference has been amazing.

So, I want to encourage everyone to examine the symptoms of gluten-intolerance and see if they fit. Gluten-intolerance is a serious issue that can lead to things like diabetes, osteoporosis, and even cancer, among many other health problems-- this because gluten attacks the digestive system of intolerant individuals and causes them to be malnourished all around no matter how much good food they eat.

Okay, so, I hope this is useful to someone. Check out www.celiaccentral.org, and also this quiz: https://glutenfreequiz.com/TakeSurve...=3J25l3KJ79m31

Quote:
My little family lives in a one-bedroom apartment by choice. We have a three-year-old and a nine-month-old. I love it. Less stuff to clean. I don't even know if it's legal or not (I think it is) but my landlord doesn't care, and if someone has a problem with it, we'll say "okay, we'll move." No biggie, ya know?

♥ blogger astrologer mom to three cool kiddos, and trying to figure out this divorce thing-- Blossom and Glow ♥

#313 of 582 Old 07-30-2007, 03:46 PM

We're desperately looking for a new apartment, not because of size, but we've had some apartment repairs that have been handled poorly and between the meth lab upstairs and management refusing to get off their butts we just don't feel safe here. No way could I give birth in this apartment!

But then there's this dog...and since Utah is pretty pet-unfriendly, we have almost no options, and the idea of getting rid of her after 8 years of companionship is stressing me out. There is one apartment complex that allows dogs of any size, and they cost $800 for a one bedroom. NO THANK YOU!!!

So yeah, it's tough trying to find a new place and wonder how you can make it all work. And it's harder when your pregnancy is screwy. My last one with Connor was so easy up until the 7th month. This one has been such an unpleasant surprise, and I hate to be ungrateful but OY! It's like walking through mud throughout the day.

On the other hand, I haven't been to church in three months because we moved to 8:30 am and I just can't do it because I'm usually in bed until 1:00 pm these days, so a new ward at a new time will be nice...I've tried so many times to do it and once we did get up early for a baby blessing and I was delirious and DS was loopy. And that was 10:00 am.
#314 of 582 Old 07-30-2007, 03:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by alisaterry View Post
There is one apartment complex that allows dogs of any size, and they cost $800 for a one bedroom. NO THANK YOU!!!
Lol! We pay $800 for our one-bedroom, and it's a darned good price for what we get, around here. Includes heat and hot water.

I'm so sorry, though, I will pray that you guys find the perfect apartment for you! You don't need tons of options-- just that one perfect place, right?

♥ blogger astrologer mom to three cool kiddos, and trying to figure out this divorce thing-- Blossom and Glow ♥

#315 of 582 Old 07-30-2007, 03:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LionTigerBear View Post
Lol! We pay $800 for our one-bedroom, and it's a darned good price for what we get, around here. Includes heat and hot water.
We pay $610 for a 2-bedroom (~750 sq. ft.), including gas/electric. It does include free cable, but we've never used that, as we don't have a TV.

It's interesting to see how housing prices are different around the nation. In Houston, we started out at ~$700 for a 2-bedroom, then moved to one that was $910. It was a nice (fairly new) place, with washer and dryer. Neither of those included utilities. To offset that, the standard pay for my job in Utah is at least $7000/year less than it was in Houston.
#316 of 582 Old 07-30-2007, 04:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by alisaterry View Post
On the other hand, I haven't been to church in three months because we moved to 8:30 am and I just can't do it because I'm usually in bed until 1:00 pm these days, so a new ward at a new time will be nice...I've tried so many times to do it and once we did get up early for a baby blessing and I was delirious and DS was loopy. And that was 10:00 am.
Yeah, we have a 9 o' clock church time this year and it's been rough. We make it about 60% of the time, I hope. This because-- I need to eat before we go. I need to make lunch for the trip because we'll be gone for three and half hours. I need to pack toys, snacks, books, to keep the boys occupied during the service. Find clean and presentable clothing for everyone to wear. And if Teddy was teething all night, or Gabe was up at night, or we went to bed a little bit too late, then we often can't make it-- can't wake up in time ot get everything ready and go. We try not to stay up too late, but sometimes late evenings are the only time that we have just the two of us together, you know? Luckily, things have been easier since we've gone gluten-free. The boys are going to bed earlier than they used to, so dh and I don't have to stay up so late to get time together. also Gabe has been waking at night less. But Teddy is still teething. Lol.

Oh, and then of course, church hits right during Teddy's nap time-- about 10:30 or 11:00 to noon.

Anyway . . . It's hard to get to church sometimes. I feel for you.

But you know what I feel really guilty and sometimes : even resentful about? Not being able to go to temple. I don't bring it up because I don't think the church members would understand. My nine-month-old is still almost exclusively breastfed and I am not going to leave him with a sitter for 3 hours for a temple session-- and that's if the babysitter babysits him in the parking lot for 3 hours-- if he were to stay at home, it would be 5 hours away from him. And what's even more shocking, I don't think I'll be ready to do that for perhaps another 6 months or maybe even a year. I wish I could go to the temple more often, but the fact of the matter is, I know that raising and nurturing my nursling is more important right now.

Someone tell me I'm doing the right thing please.

#317 of 582 Old 07-30-2007, 04:10 PM

wow. we pay $894 for a two bedroom two bath with washer and drier and fridge. we got lucky though because they gave us a deal. if we resigned our lease early we could stay at the same rate if not it was going to go up $100. : it's a niced sized place- 977 sqft. it's good enough for the next dew years i we don't birth more babies. what i love about it is the porch! i didn't realize until recently how lucky we are to have such a nice sized porch and one that's covered.
my only beef is that it's two story meaning we have upstairs neighbors. it's not the noice but rather that we live on the San Andreas fault and i am terrified of earthquakes. i'd feel better if we didn't have another apartment right on top of us, ykwim?

Maggie, blissfully married mama of 5 little ladies on my own little path. homeschool.gif gd.gifRainbow.gif
#318 of 582 Old 07-30-2007, 04:19 PM

Quote:
we often can't make it-- can't wake up in time ot get everything ready and go. We try not to stay up too late, but sometimes late evenings are the only time that we have just the two of us together, you know?
Excuses, excuses, excuses!! I am in the same boat though, so don't feel like I'm talking down to you : You and I both could get everything you mentioned ready for Sunday the night/week before, and we *could* go to bed on time. I stay up until 2 am most Saturday nights. Last Saturday it was 3 am. And I'm not even doing anything worthwhile! I'm usually surfing the internet, or last Saturday I was trying to force Rhapsody to work on my computer. Then I just "can't" get up by 7 and make it on time. It has been a LONG time since we've made it to church on time. This week we were only 15 minutes late! The week before, we didn't even make it until Sacrament (which is last).

Quote:
I wish I could go to the temple more often, but the fact of the matter is, I know that raising and nurturing my nursling is more important right now.

You are doing the right thing It is totally dependent on each baby. Some babies can be left for 3-5 hours at 6-12 months old; some can't. I would try not to feel even slightly guilty until the baby can be left for that long easily. And separation anxiety is a good reason not to leave the baby, despite what anyone else thinks.
#319 of 582 Old 07-30-2007, 04:35 PM

Quote:
You and I both could get everything you mentioned ready for Sunday the night/week before, and we *could* go to bed on time.
Yeah, I know, we're working on it, we're working on it . . . and we're getting better too!!! Planning ahead isn't something that comes naturally to me, lol. But I'm getting better.

Quote:
You are doing the right thing It is totally dependent on each baby. Some babies can be left for 3-5 hours at 6-12 months old; some can't. I would try not to feel even slightly guilty until the baby can be left for that long easily. And separation anxiety is a good reason not to leave the baby, despite what anyone else thinks.
Thanks!

#320 of 582 Old 07-30-2007, 04:44 PM

Quote:
But you know what I feel really guilty and sometimes : even resentful about? Not being able to go to temple. I don't bring it up because I don't think the church members would understand. My nine-month-old is still almost exclusively breastfed and I am not going to leave him with a sitter for 3 hours for a temple session-- and that's if the babysitter babysits him in the parking lot for 3 hours-- if he were to stay at home, it would be 5 hours away from him. And what's even more shocking, I don't think I'll be ready to do that for perhaps another 6 months or maybe even a year. I wish I could go to the temple more often, but the fact of the matter is, I know that raising and nurturing my nursling is more important right now.

Last time I had my recommend interview, the member of the bishopric (or was it the stake pres?) told me flat out that being a mom was more important than the temple. He said it's not an excuse to not try to go, but if you have to choose between the needs of your child and going to the temple, to choose the child. Heavenly Father gave us these spirits to raise, and the mental capacity and understanding to know what they need better than anyone else. So, as long as you aren't putting off your own ordinances, don't feel bad at all! You're doing great.

Oh, and we have a couple of celiacs around here too. It's a tough adjustment with the cooking and such, but oh so worth it. Good luck to you.
#321 of 582 Old 07-30-2007, 04:50 PM

Quote:
Yeah, I know, we're working on it, we're working on it . . . and we're getting better too!!! Planning ahead isn't something that comes naturally to me, lol. But I'm getting better.
My problem is that I'm getting worse!! When I was growing up, we were late to most stuff - it's just how my mom was. But she was always in the YW Presidency, so even if we were late, we were still there well before church started. As soon as I got married, I started being on time to *everything*! It was awesome. But since my dh has been working away from home, now I'm back to the old ways I don't know if it's that not having his help getting the kids ready really makes it so much harder, or I'm just lazier, or what. He wasn't ever the type to get mad if I wasn't ready on time, so I don't think I'm subconsciously rebelling against that. We'll see if I can be on time more now that he's home.

By the way - dh is home!! : : (Yes, I snuck the hammer smiley in there - no relationship is perfect, lol.)

But anyway, now that he's home, maybe I can be on time more often. Maybe I'll be more disciplined about actually going to bed at a reasonable time, or maybe having him help with the kids will make a big difference. Though today it didn't - I was just as late as ever, even though I got the kids up in plenty of time. DS decided to have an hour-long meltdown about getting dressed. Both dh and I are trying to be better with our tempers, so we both just waited it out instead of forcing him or punishing him or whatever. I was going to take ds to daycare with just underwear (I'd have gotten him dressed in the car or given the clothes to his teacher), but dh bailed him out
#322 of 582 Old 07-30-2007, 05:18 PM

Quote:

I've only been to the temple about 6 times since my first daughter was born two years ago... and at least two of those times were for weddings, not sessions.

I don't know how the temples in New England work, but is there a way you could schedule some sealings with your DH? or maybe some initiatorys? The temples usually need people to do those and they don't take nearly as long. Doing initiatory you could probably be in and out in under an hour... if you brought the sitter to the temple with you that would only be an hour away from the baby!

I'm trying to go more often again, DD#2 suddenly cut back her nursings to only 3-4 times a day, and she loves her aunts & uncles so finding a sitter is not a problem. It's just hard to find a time to go... and I don't live that far from a temple (though it's much farther than when I was in Provo. )

Emily
#323 of 582 Old 07-30-2007, 05:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by frogleymom View Post
is there a way you could schedule some sealings with your DH? or maybe some initiatorys?
That is a great idea - especially if you have an appointment! If you were trying to be quick to get home to a baby, it'd be nice to have a scheduled time so you didn't run into what I did on Saturday. At the Provo temple, sessions start every 20 minutes. I must've gotten to the chapel within 2-5 minutes after the 11:40 session left. I couldn't go with the 12:00 session, because it was all Spanish. And then the 12:20 session had 6 live endowments, with all their guests! Only ~10 people besides guests got in to that session. I was the last woman to get into the room, and after that, they asked people to leave and go to a later session in order to accommodate some late guests. If I hadn't gotten into that session, I would've been waiting a full hour to get in!
#324 of 582 Old 07-30-2007, 05:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by frogleymom View Post
I don't know how the temples in New England work, but is there a way you could schedule some sealings with your DH? or maybe some initiatorys? The temples usually need people to do those and they don't take nearly as long. Doing initiatory you could probably be in and out in under an hour... if you brought the sitter to the temple with you that would only be an hour away from the baby!
Oooh, this just might work-- if not right now, then soon! I don't know how the Boston temple works either (that's the closest one) but I'm sure we can figure something like this out! I am really excited! I could almost cry! Thank you so much!

Next thing is just to find a babysitter that we trust who is willing to drive with us and watch the baby. The "that we trust" part is the tricky part. I would want them to be non-coercive and of the attachment-fostering mentality, otherwise I wouldn't want to leave my baby with them for an hour. You know, another idea would be for me and dh to take a day off for the temple, and do sessions at different times, taking turns-- maybe first I could do an initiatory or something while dh watches the boys, and then, I could take the boys into town or for a walk, while dh does a session or something. It's more special to go together, but if we can't manage that, going seperately would be better than not going at all.

Thanks for the suggestions. I am really excited about this. :

#325 of 582 Old 07-30-2007, 05:49 PM

Quote:
The "that we trust" part is the tricky part.
You're so right! It's really hard when family isn't there. Right now I have one friend at church that I would definitely trust with a baby. I have a bunch more friends from local AP groups that I would probably trust, but I haven't really been around them much - I mostly know them online.

Quote:
You know, another idea would be for me and dh to take a day off for the temple, and do sessions at different times, taking turns
I think this is the best (lowest stress) way to do it. Yes, you definitely miss out by not going together, but at least you go! And the kids would probably love seeing the temple and love going on a little day trip, especially if you can plan it well, so that they get to do fun things instead of just be stuck in the car or something.
#326 of 582 Old 07-30-2007, 06:04 PM

do you have any friends that are members with teenage daughters? the daughters would hopefully be very much familiar with the temple and the amount of time it takes to go and what not. i know our visitors center is a lot of fun for kids and the movies play all day, and they'll play something you request too.

there is a 13 yr old, almost 14, that is the oldest in her family. she watches her siblings ( oldest of 6 with #7 on the way) on friday nights often so her parents can go to the temple. it's about an hour from here. so, she is very familiar with the length of time. and she is really helpful when we all go over to the visitors' center together. maybe you could find someone like that???
#327 of 582 Old 07-30-2007, 06:12 PM - Thread Starter

Dh and I were just discussing this. We have 3 months to get the new reccomend and dh said we should use it after we get the new one. I said how we could all go to the temple and switch off because I also don't trust anyone with my kids Anyway, we're going up north to where my parents live on the 18th for my dh's high school reunion so we figure we'll just go earlier and leave the kids with my parents. At this rate I won't be going for at least the next 6 months after this baby is born.

But I do think there's nothing wrong with doing the other things. Those things need to be done too And it's not like you're near your dh for it anyway, so you could totally trade off. Make a day of it and then do a fun activity with the whole family after
#328 of 582 Old 07-30-2007, 06:21 PM

LTB, Boston is our temple too. The last time we went, in June, we met up with DH's brother and family, and traded babysitting. It made for a very long day, but there is a park just across the highway from the temple, so the first session the kids went there, and the second session, we spent watching a movie on our portable DVD player in the foyer in front of Beehive Clothing. And I second the suggestions for initiatories and sealings. They are always looking for couples to do sealings there. Everytime we come out of a session, they are waiting to pounce on us and ask if we have time to do some. I actually haven't been asked to do initiatories, but i know those always need to be done as well.
And on a slightly different note, am I the only one in the church who has not heard about the new recommends over the pulpit? I first heard about them here, then my mom said they did it in their ward in L.A., and when we were in Utah last week, they were talking about it. But not a word about it in our ward. What gives?
#329 of 582 Old 07-30-2007, 06:38 PM

When we lived in Seattle, we paid $900 for a large one bedroom on top of a hill with an awesome view. Also, we each earned twice as much there as we did here. We were quite horrified to learn that pay in Utah is so low but cost of living is so high - true, apartments don't cost as much, but food and clothing and other things are the same. It seems backwards, especially when you tack on a tax to food. I've never lived in a state that taxes food until now. It's a very cruel thing to do, IMO. I think the only reason they do it is to be able to tax immigrants. That's not a mean statement, just an observation.

I've been to the temple once for a wedding, right before DS was born, and haven't been back since. I miss it, but I do think thi is my season for dedicating myself to my babies, so I just make sure I keep my recommend current and do a little more genealogy so that SOMETHING is getting done at the temple. And our temple is, what, 4 minutes away?

There's a time and season for everything.
#330 of 582 Old 07-30-2007, 06:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by quarteralien View Post
And on a slightly different note, am I the only one in the church who has not heard about the new recommends over the pulpit? I first heard about them here, then my mom said they did it in their ward in L.A., and when we were in Utah last week, they were talking about it. But not a word about it in our ward. What gives?
The only thing I have ever heard about new recommends is what I overheard from some temple workers when I went to do a session with my mom a week ago... other than that, I didn't know there were new recommends.

Emily

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page