LDS Mamas and Papas #43 - Page 19 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#541 of 582 Old 08-05-2007, 11:42 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Ok, I went to a family reunion and I had 4 pages to read.

Anyway, Welcome new members (to the thread of course) It's always nice to shake things up with new people

I was into the bucket seat conversation. I used mine with my second for my baby to sleep in while we played outside on our playground. I usually used a sling all the other times.

NCD the only thing I have to say about what you use it for is that in the manual it actually says not to put bucket seats in the seat part of a cart Just a thought. (I read the manuels's for everything, it's part of my obsessive compulsive side of me)

I had so much fun at my reunion though. We don't get to see my mom's side very much but it helped take all my stress away. For a whole weekend I didn't have to think about my own problems. Although, I did discover that most of my cousins are very mainstream. There were many babies cio and all that fun stuff. It was a bit stressful for me but I just kept thinking that I can't change them, so I will talk about other things. They kept saying stuff about going to the hospital, drugs, having the baby when they want to and nursing for at least 3 months. So I just kind of sat there with my mouth closed until one of my cousins wives asked me if I was doing it at home because I had a midwife. I told her I did the first in a hospital with a midwife, the second in the birth center with a midwife and this one will be at home with a midwife. I told her it's just what's best for me before she could say "geez you're brave" It did end up in a good conversation after, but I tried to keep the topics off babies
#542 of 582 Old 08-05-2007, 11:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by marlygf View Post
NCD the only thing I have to say about what you use it for is that in the manual it actually says not to put bucket seats in the seat part of a cart Just a thought. (I read the manuels's for everything, it's part of my obsessive compulsive side of me)
: ... it also says not to allow your kid to stand up in the cart part of the cart, but we do that too. :

"A mind needs books as a sword needs a whetstone, if it is to keep its edge." - Tyrion Lannister

#543 of 582 Old 08-06-2007, 12:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kylewilliamsmom View Post
I'm LDS too and was wondering if I could join your thread?
Of course! Welcome!
#544 of 582 Old 08-06-2007, 12:58 AM

Well, after 7-1/2 years of love, we've decided we had to find our dog a new home so that we can get a safer apartment. Luckily my Mom agreed to take her, but it feels weird because when I was unmedicated she was the only reason I got up out of bed at all. That's why we got her. She knows and loves my mom so this definitely feels better than leaving her with a stranger. She's been in our family for a long time and I don't think she's handle a new family very well.

Even with her out of the picture, it's still hard to find places that will let us keep the cat. The are there but few and far between. It still baffles me how anti-pets this area is.
#545 of 582 Old 08-06-2007, 01:03 AM

I am sorry you have to find your pup a new home. It was really hard when we had to find our doggie a new home. He was so depressed when we had our first son, he ate diapers and books and the final straw was when he went directly to the nursery and peed all over the floor!
#546 of 582 Old 08-06-2007, 01:26 AM

Alisa, I'm sorry you have to give up your poor dog. I am a dog lover and cried so hard when I lost my dogs. I really hope you can find a safe, nice place to live that will let you keep your cat.
Y'know, I was just thinking. Our favorite apartment was the basement of an older lady's house. She wanted to keep her house, but couldn't use all the space, or afford the property tax, so she had the daylight basement renovated to an apartment. It was awesome. Older neighborhood, great view of Puget Sound, and cheap rent. You might ask around and see if anyone around you has a similar situation...

: We ditched church today. Went on a hike instead. I'll post pictures on my blog hopefully by tomorrow. I'm so proud of my 8yo though, he hiked 6 miles up very rocky hills with nary a complaint. What a kid!

Kylewilliamsmom, Welcome!
#547 of 582 Old 08-06-2007, 01:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NewCrunchyDaddy View Post
: ... it also says not to allow your kid to stand up in the cart part of the cart, but we do that too. :
Yeah, G does what we call, cart surfing. He stands in the front of the cart leaning back and forth and asking me to take the turns fast while he yells, "whoa, whoaaaa, Whoooaaaaa!" We get plenty of stares. That kid has real thrill issues, to quote Crush from Finding Nemo. I don't think we follow very many safety rules with him .
#548 of 582 Old 08-06-2007, 01:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RasJane View Post
Our favorite apartment was the basement of an older lady's house. She wanted to keep her house, but couldn't use all the space, or afford the property tax, so she had the daylight basement renovated to an apartment. It was awesome. Older neighborhood, great view of Puget Sound, and cheap rent. You might ask around and see if anyone around you has a similar situation...
It would be hard to find an apartment with a Puget Sound view here in Provo : But if we could find one like that, we would definitely pick it up! We loved living Seattle, when we weren't having serious finance-flow problems, and are planning to eventually go back.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RasJane View Post
Yeah, G does what we call, cart surfing. He stands in the front of the cart leaning back and forth and asking me to take the turns fast while he yells, "whoa, whoaaaa, Whoooaaaaa!" We get plenty of stares. That kid has real thrill issues, to quote Crush from Finding Nemo. I don't think we follow very many safety rules with him .
The other thing DS likes to do is hold onto to bottom of the cart, lay out flat on the store floor and then have me run him up and down the aisles with him sliding along behind. ... Its amazing how dirty the floors in supermarkets are.

"A mind needs books as a sword needs a whetstone, if it is to keep its edge." - Tyrion Lannister

#549 of 582 Old 08-06-2007, 08:13 AM

Hi Kylewilliam'smom!

Alisa and Bryan, I'm so sorry that you have to part with your doggie friend. That's so sad. I had to do this with a doggie friend once-- but in my case, he always liked my grandma better than me anyway, ( ) so it's not quite the same.

I hope this opens you all up to a wonderful new apartment opportunity!

♥ blogger astrologer mom to three cool kiddos, and trying to figure out this divorce thing-- Blossom and Glow ♥

#550 of 582 Old 08-06-2007, 11:22 AM

So, should we think about starting a new thread? This one is getting pretty unwieldy. What does everyone think?

#551 of 582 Old 08-06-2007, 12:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by quarteralien View Post
I get to teach the circumcision lesson! Yay!

Awesome! I don't think you're weird for being especially excited about a certain lesson (even if this lesson is a hot topic and one I'm also excited for you to teach. ) I hope you take lots of notes and post what you said to us!

Quote:
Originally Posted by kylewilliamsmom View Post
I'm LDS too and was wondering if I could join your thread?

Oh yeah! Welcome! Can't wait to get to know you!

Quote:
Originally Posted by marlygf View Post
I told her I did the first in a hospital with a midwife, the second in the birth center with a midwife and this one will be at home with a midwife. I told her it's just what's best for me before she could say "geez you're brave" It did end up in a good conversation after, but I tried to keep the topics off babies

I absolutely hate the "brave" comment. : People did it for eons and now all of a sudden we're the "brave" ones... riiighht... :

NCD- I think a new thread would be beautiful... you could do the honors... oh and good luck to you and alisa on finding a place! So sorry about your puppy.. we are doing the puppy debate ourselves as our neighborhood is REALLY persnickety... and my mom isn't as welcome to the idea of adopting Amara.
#552 of 582 Old 08-06-2007, 12:40 PM

So sorry about having to relocate your dog -- what a heartwrenching decision!

I went on a detour through my neighborhood the other day, on the way home from DS's swimming lessons, and saw 2 for rent signs. Didn't have a pen with me, though. So the next day I grabbed pen and paper, but they were both gone! I'll keep an eye out for more, though.
#553 of 582 Old 08-06-2007, 01:08 PM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by DucetteMama21842 View Post
I absolutely hate the "brave" comment. : People did it for eons and now all of a sudden we're the "brave" ones... riiighht... :
No kidding. I don't birth at home because I'm "brave" I birth at home because I'm scared to death!! Terrified of what might happen to me and/or my baby if I dare enter a hospital. (I had to transfer and c/s anyway. Ugh. Not that I won't try again...) Yesterday at church, (first week in my new ward) there was someone in the nursing room with her 3 week old. (YAY for nursing, at least!!!) She was talking about how much she loved her (elective, repeat) c-section and would never want to labor again Kinda stings when there's nothing on this earth I want to experience more than a normal birth.

Oh yeah, and speaking of the nursing at church topic.. everyone (well, only 2 people when I was in there) I saw nursing covered up with a blanket. In the nursing room. WHAT is the point in that? If you're going to cover up anyway, you may as well stay in the meeting. I just don't get it. And I stuck to my goal of nursing in RS!! dd was in the maya in a tummy to tummy carry. I had to go to the nursing room to get her latched but then came back out and she nursed to sleep, and for the first time in weeks (months?), I heard the entire RS lesson.

dd (7) ds (5), ds (2) &3rdtri.gif hbac.gif and the furbabies cat.gifZeus, Dobby, Luna, & Ravenclaw
#554 of 582 Old 08-06-2007, 01:12 PM

oh man that's unfortunate about having to relocate your dog.

for those of you who let kiddos stand in the carts PLLEEEASSSE!!! be very careful. i know i don't have to say that to you but it just makes me feel better. i worked at Wal Mart for two years and weekly there would be kids who fell out of carts right in front of me. one fell out and didn't get up. we had to call the paramedics. it traumatized me- can you tell? they'd tell us even if the parents yell at you and threaten you you tell them to have their child sit down. you guessed it! i'm one of those annoying people who politely suggests that baby sits. but i am always polite and i feel that after letting them know the risks if they still choose whatever.

i didn't go to church yesterday. i have been having trouble sleeping and i was just exhausted. we have to drive up to girl's camp on Thursday and i so don't want to. it's not giving the talk but having to make the drive! it is such a scary drive. i know it sounds wimpy but i'd appreciate some prayers.

Maggie, blissfully married mama of 5 little ladies on my own little path. homeschool.gif gd.gifRainbow.gif
#555 of 582 Old 08-06-2007, 01:37 PM

I'll definitely pray for you Maggie.
#556 of 582 Old 08-06-2007, 01:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by magstphil View Post
i feel that after letting them know the risks if they still choose whatever.
I am pretty sure that all parents know the risks But now that I know that the employees are required to say it, I'll try to control the looks I give them when they say it!!
#557 of 582 Old 08-06-2007, 02:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by magstphil View Post
for those of you who let kiddos stand in the carts PLLEEEASSSE!!! be very careful. i know i don't have to say that to you but it just makes me feel better. i worked at Wal Mart for two years and weekly there would be kids who fell out of carts right in front of me. one fell out and didn't get up. we had to call the paramedics. it traumatized me- can you tell? they'd tell us even if the parents yell at you and threaten you you tell them to have their child sit down. you guessed it! i'm one of those annoying people who politely suggests that baby sits. but i am always polite and i feel that after letting them know the risks if they still choose whatever.
I can't remember if I've told Alisa this or not ... oh well, here goes ::

Connor flipped out of the cart once in Smith's. He and I were shopping by ourselves and I turned to get something off the shelf and he reached for something off the other shelf and before I could react, he flipped right out and landed flat-backed on the floor. He was fine ... just a little scared. But what really pissed me off was the lady that was standing next to us in the aisle. When Connor landed she looked and him, looked at me and just turned and left. : Not a word - no "is he alright?" nothing!

#558 of 582 Old 08-06-2007, 02:42 PM

Oh, also ... we have a new thread

#559 of 582 Old 08-06-2007, 02:43 PM

Oohh.. the plot thickens... waiting to hear Alisa's response... j/k.
#560 of 582 Old 08-06-2007, 03:04 PM

NCD nice of you to post that and the direct our attention to the new thread.
#561 of 582 Old 08-06-2007, 03:06 PM

Oh no! He cross posted with me! I didn't catch it. Hoppin on over there right now..
#562 of 582 Old 08-06-2007, 03:47 PM

I'm kind of traumatized by this thread ending on page 29 (or even 28). If we have a choice, they should end on nice numbers like 20 or 30
#563 of 582 Old 08-06-2007, 03:48 PM

It's OK. I knew. He did the right thing and told me.
#564 of 582 Old 08-06-2007, 04:03 PM

Katie, I'm glad I'm not the only one who has an aversion to "weird" numbers. I much prefer even numbers to odd numbers. My youngest was born on the 29th of June, and it still gives me theshivers sometimes.

Weird. I am weird. I can't believe I just admitted I have a number aversion on a public board... Its time to lock me up.

Violin teaching, doula-ing Mom to Abby, (8) Ashlynn, (6) : and Max (11/13/08) Diagnosed with Metopic Craniosynostosis. First surgery 5/1/09, Second surgery March 2010.
#565 of 582 Old 08-06-2007, 04:07 PM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Right there with ya. If the volume on a particular piece of equipment (cd player, car stereo, computer) has numbers, it has to be on a multiple of 5.

dd (7) ds (5), ds (2) &3rdtri.gif hbac.gif and the furbabies cat.gifZeus, Dobby, Luna, & Ravenclaw
#566 of 582 Old 08-06-2007, 04:15 PM

Hmmm - 15 more posts about number aversions would get us up to 30

Stacymom - Though I agree that 29 is a weird number since it's a prime. Numbers like 15 are ok because they are multiples of other numbers (though maybe you don't like 15 because it's odd and only a multiple of other odd numbers)
#567 of 582 Old 08-06-2007, 04:40 PM

I figured I would help you guys out with that page 30 thing.

You're welcome.

So whadj'all have for lunch?

I had leftover mashed potatoes, tomato, mushroom, and spring green salad, and lightly fried onion with bacon. Yummy. I'm stuffed now.

♥ blogger astrologer mom to three cool kiddos, and trying to figure out this divorce thing-- Blossom and Glow ♥

#568 of 582 Old 08-06-2007, 04:41 PM

I dunno, I might have a little bit of room left for some more salad . . .

#569 of 582 Old 08-06-2007, 04:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NewCrunchyDaddy View Post
I can't remember if I've told Alisa this or not ... oh well, here goes ::

Connor flipped out of the cart once in Smith's. He and I were shopping by ourselves and I turned to get something off the shelf and he reached for something off the other shelf and before I could react, he flipped right out and landed flat-backed on the floor. He was fine ... just a little scared. But what really pissed me off was the lady that was standing next to us in the aisle. When Connor landed she looked and him, looked at me and just turned and left. : Not a word - no "is he alright?" nothing!
are you kidding me??? : people or so.... jaded nowadays.

Maggie, blissfully married mama of 5 little ladies on my own little path. homeschool.gif gd.gifRainbow.gif
#570 of 582 Old 08-06-2007, 04:54 PM

I'll help out too.

Glad to hear NCD told you. But, that doesn't surprise me. You guys seem pretty close and able to discuss things rationally.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page