LDS Mamas and Papas #43 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 07-03-2007, 08:59 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
And away we go!

The last posts were about Alissa being pregnant, lots of new people introducing themselves and GD compared to how Christ treats others. Sorry if I missed anything.

I guess I can start with a re-intro for me Marly, wife 6.5 years to my geek engineer dh. Mommy to two sweet ds's, almost 5 and 3. Pregnant with our 3rd, due end of October. I'm also learning how to squeeze every little dime out of my budget to pay for stupid car repairs! There you go, that's me!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-03-2007, 09:06 PM

I'm Katie - mom to two sons, 5 and 3 years old. I am 33 weeks pregnant and expecting a baby in late August.
Old 07-03-2007, 09:20 PM

NewCrunchyDaddy = Bryan, DH to DW-Alisa, DD to DS-Connor. Student @ UVSC, BA in Literary Studies, planning on going on to graduate work to get my doctorate in Literary Critical Theory. Right now I'm on summer break from Reagan Academy (a charter school in Springville, UT) where I am an Assistant Teacher in the 7th Grade. To bring money in during the summer I am delivering for The Daily Herald and HATE IT! It is, hands down, the worst job I have ever had. My supervisors are not at all supportive in the least. Anyway, that's me ...

"A mind needs books as a sword needs a whetstone, if it is to keep its edge." - Tyrion Lannister

Old 07-03-2007, 09:21 PM - Thread Starter

Katie, I've been wondering how you're doing lately. I know I get so caught up in my own issues and forget about my friends. I hope you're doing well as can be expected.
hey, it is part of who you are right now, kind of like my stupid car repairs. It's really who I am these days
Old 07-03-2007, 10:15 PM

Hi again everybody! I'm Caitlin, married to DH for 3.5 years, we have been members of the church for 4 years, and we have two of the most wonderful little boys ever ever ever, our oldest is turning 3 next month (our honeymoon baby ) and our baby is 8 months old. And had his first salad today.

Hello to everyone I haven't met yet!!! I lost track of the last thread by the very end. My DH hurt his wrist a couple of weeks ago and it's been a heavier workload for me since then. Oh, plus, he's working more overtime because he's in training. Anyway. He's working late tonight so we will miss the fireworks and he's also working about 3 hours tomorrow-- yes on the 4th. But life is still good. I'm just tired.

I have to go put my sweeties to bed. I'll be back.

♥ blogger astrologer mom to three cool kiddos, and trying to figure out this divorce thing-- Blossom and Glow ♥

Old 07-03-2007, 10:19 PM

I'm Emily, we just moved from Provo to Hillsboro, Oregon almost two weeks ago (DH finally finished classes at BYU!!). I grew up here in Hillsboro, then went to BYU and met DH. He's from Iowa. We were married in the Portland, Oregon temple 4 years ago. We have two daughters, Kathryn (2) & Danielle (1), and baby #3 is coming sometime in mid-December.

I'm really missing my wonderful AP group in Provo... but I'm a bit nervous to just join any AP group in the Portland area... I'd much rather stick with LDS moms... (I really hope that doesn't offend anyone). If anyone in the area wants to get together, I'd be totally up for it.

Emily
Old 07-03-2007, 10:32 PM

My name is Danile. I am a convert of 4 years. DH and I have been together 7, sealed for almost 2 years. We have a 3 year old son Dominic and a 19 month old monkey.. okay a human boy... Isaac who has no fear. We are pregnant with our third and due in December. I am a doula, Bradley Method Natural Childbirth Instructor and in college to work towards a midwifery degree. Currently the only hippie in my ward.. though one friend is seeming to convert. Finally I've converted someone. Just kidding. That was a bad joke. LOL.

I believe HF and Jesus support AP and GD... fwiw. And on that topic.. I laugh everytime I see a bumpersticker that says "Jesus wore cloth". Gets me everytime.

Eternal Companion to DH , Homeschooling mama to DS 05/04 , DS 11/05 , DD 12/07 , DS 07/10 and one on the way: June 2015!
Old 07-03-2007, 11:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LionTigerBear View Post
He's working late tonight so we will miss the fireworks
You guys have fireworks on the 3rd? I've never heard of that! It's a good idea though - that way the ones who have to go back to work on the 5th don't have to stay up late on the 4th.
Old 07-03-2007, 11:18 PM

Hi my intro was far too short last time I entered the thread.
I've been a member my whole life, I've been married almost 5 years to
"Sea_Guy". We were married in a temple.
I have no contact with my crazy abusive family so places like this are
really important. But I keep personal info vauge. We just had our first
child in april. She was a happy home water birth.
Alisa was there and newcrunchydaddy helped by watching thier
toddler to free her up to be able to attend.
DH and I have known and loved the Terry's for years.
She helped to crunchify me.

I am a sahm. I hope to start my training as a Doula by summers end.
And I love the chrunchy lds mamas in my area. i.e "Provem"

Me , married to , with one . I'm a birth doula. We believe in
Old 07-04-2007, 12:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by klg47 View Post
You guys have fireworks on the 3rd? I've never heard of that! It's a good idea though - that way the ones who have to go back to work on the 5th don't have to stay up late on the 4th.
Yup, that's the idea. And I didn't miss them. DS1 was sleeping, DH was working, but my baby was having a hard time settling down, so when I heard the fireworks start, I took him out back on our tiny back porch and watched them for a while, through the trees, and DS thought they were neat too, until he started to get bored and wiggly. Then I set him in bed and nursed him to sleep. And here I am. Waiting for DH to get home.

You guys that have other crunhcy members in your wards are lucky. I have a great ward but no one else is crunchy-- well, one other mom is kind of crunchy-light, but her kids are all pre-teens and teens, so it's different. Anyway, it's nice to get to know everyone here.

BTW, we recently started a scripture study blog. I just need your email address, for anyone new who wants to join the blog. We are currently studying from "Preach My Gospel" but you don't need to have the book, you can just follow along in the blog. Bryan's posts are always incredibly informative. I'm going to post the new study "assignment" within the next couple of days.

♥ blogger astrologer mom to three cool kiddos, and trying to figure out this divorce thing-- Blossom and Glow ♥

Old 07-04-2007, 12:45 AM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 25 Post(s)
Whew, I'm out in the midwest so there's not too much crunch in my ward. One homebirth, but that was like, 12-13 years ago. And there's a mom nursing a 12 (or so? not sure) month old, which is a rare sight outside LLL meetings! lol. I'm equally impressed with the mom nursing preemie twins! I'm sure everyone thinks I'm psycho for using cloth.

dd (7) ds (5), ds (2) &3rdtri.gif hbac.gif and the furbabies cat.gifZeus, Dobby, Luna, & Ravenclaw
Old 07-04-2007, 01:34 AM

Oh I'm sorry I gave the impression that there are crunchy women actually in my ward. There is one woman who is semi-crunchy. She does help keep me sane in a world of buckets and cio faithful. But really it's LLL meetings' people and an AP yahoo play group. Being as they exist in Utah most of the people in them are lds. Percentage wise though, crunchy is not that pervasive.
CIO faithful on the other hand.:

Me , married to , with one . I'm a birth doula. We believe in
Old 07-04-2007, 01:57 AM

I'm Becky, married to DH for 7 years, daughter M, 3.5 years and son J, almost 2. Born and raised in the Seattle area, met DH at Ricks college (he and his roomie went tracting for girls, lol, and my apt. was the 3rd down the row...they stayed there for the rest of the evening, they liked us so much! ).

Lived in Colorado while DH finished his BS, and then moved to MD state 6 weeks before I was due with my 1st. It was a crazy time. I have become progressively crunchier with time, which basically all started with me trying to have a very natural birth in a hospital, followed by questioning and partially delaying vaccines, bf'ing partway through the next pregnancy, going with a midwife the 2nd time, finding MDC while looking into circ, and then being exposed to all the ideas floating around here...which has led to many further cruncy types of things. :P I found a lovely AP group in the area, which only furthers the progress!

We've been living in MD for almost 4 years, and are missing the west. Last year DH promised he'd start looking for a new job over the next year so we wouldn't have to deal with apartment rent increasing yet again. Well, after certain situations came up at work, he didn't feel right about leaving so soon, so he waited. But today he came home and told me one of the guys (who has been there as long as he has) found a new job in SLC. And is going to be getting more pay. A lot of people have been leaving lately, and DH is ready to look around for a new job now. I hope hope hope we get to move soon. We're both so ready. Not that we have a lot of money to move *with*. But we miss being close to family and the more casual and often crunchy-friendly atmosphere that western states seem to have. I've never wanted to move to Utah, but when DH mentioned his coworker getting a job in SLC, I thought how fun it could be to be close to some of you mamas...hehe.

That's all for now. Sleepy sleepy toddler needs me.

SAHM to Melinda (Oct '03), Jacob (Aug '05),  Alex (Apr '08), and baby.gif Malcolm (Sept 29, '11)

Old 07-04-2007, 12:06 PM

Hey all, I'm on vacation in Connecticut, just thought I'd pop in and sub to the new thread. I'm Bronwyn, aka QA (Woohoo! I have initials now! ) Okay, simple minds I'll post more when I get back tonight, or maybe tomorrow.
Old 07-04-2007, 12:08 PM

hey hey hey!!
i'm Maggie, momma to 3 girlies 3 and under- Lilith Luthein (3) Mable Mirkwood (16 months) and Olive Onodrim (10 weeks... i think ). i am a recently reinstated member on my way to the temple with my wonderful convert DH, Robbie. i'm in the Southern California desert where it is HOT! they're thinking it is going to top 130 this year. :
and i'm going to be 22 on the 17th of this month!! woot woot! i am striving to make this birthday a GOOD birthday.

hey everyone! hope everybody enjoys their fourth!

Maggie, blissfully married mama of 5 little ladies on my own little path. homeschool.gif gd.gifRainbow.gif
Old 07-04-2007, 12:49 PM

*Me doing my preggo dance*

Woohoo oh yeah woohoo! It's gonna be 90 out today here! Time to get some sun on my preggo self!

Plus even though Dom's experienced Fourth of July before... he's finally UNDERSTANDING holidays.. and it makes it seem to me like it's the first time all over again! Can't wait to share it with him!:

Happy Fourth Everyone!

Eternal Companion to DH , Homeschooling mama to DS 05/04 , DS 11/05 , DD 12/07 , DS 07/10 and one on the way: June 2015!
Old 07-04-2007, 02:02 PM

Hi everyone. I have a posted a few times on these threads through the years but cannot seem to ever keep up.

Dh and I have been married for a little over 10 years. Dh and I have been members all of our lives. We have 4 beautiful children(9,7,3,and almost 1). We live in Utah Valley. We homeschool and love the outdoors and HATE the heat. :

I look forward to getting to know you all and I will try to post more often.

teapot2.GIF jog.gif

Old 07-05-2007, 01:57 AM

My turn!
I'm Kelly, married to Damian for 3.5 years, mom to Isabel, whose 2. Lifelong members, married in Washington DC temple. I have no idea if there are any crunchy people in my ward, b/c my ward isn't friendly enough for us to actually know people! But, I'm in Michigan, and although there is a nice AP group in my town, I doubt any members are.

Maggie, do you have an approximate timeline for going to the temple? I'm so excited for you! And happy birthday a few weeks early, I turned 22 last month, and I think 22 is better than 21. At least for me (I had this year off for my birthday, whereas for the previous 3 I've had to work, yucky!) Do you have any plans?

As for the 4th of July, I had to work 3rd shift both the 3rd and the 4th, so I pretty much slept during the day, and was at work for the fireworks. Next year, hopefully I'll be able to get it off!

Wife to D (12/03) and totally smitten Mama to DD (4/05) DS (2/09) and expecting DD#2  6/23/11
Old 07-05-2007, 10:37 AM

Hi everybody! It's nice to hear from everyone again.

I'm adding a new study topic in our blog. It's the next one in "Preach My Gospel".

Old 07-05-2007, 01:25 PM

Kelly- Robbie and i are meeting with the Bishop on Sunday. he just wants to meet with us a few times before we go in for our recomends me being freshly reinstated and Robbie a fairly new convert. i'm not sure if he's going to want us to wait a few months or what. i'll find out more on Sunday and i'll let y'all know! we're way excited.

on a grumpy/sad note Robbie has been working so much overtime it hurts! : he has been working 6 10 hour days. : he usually only works Monday thru Thursday but the past month has been working fridays as well and the past few weeks Saturdays on top of that. i miss him! yesterday was the first *real* day off he has had seeing as how Sundays he is at church and in meetings and what not.
but it is all a bitter sweet answer to our prayers! we have been having such financial issues that even with the 20+ hours of overtime we're struggling. but in a good way! we are finally getting all our back bills paid and catching up. it feels good.

Maggie, blissfully married mama of 5 little ladies on my own little path. homeschool.gif gd.gifRainbow.gif
Old 07-05-2007, 02:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by magstphil View Post
but it is all a bitter sweet answer to our prayers! we have been having such financial issues that even with the 20+ hours of overtime we're struggling. but in a good way! we are finally getting all our back bills paid and catching up. it feels good.
Yay! I am so glad for you! That is what we are doing too. My DH has been working lots of overtime for years, everytime that he isn't unemployed basically. At least it isn't 12 hour days anymore. Now he works 5 or 6 days a week, 8-10 hours during the week and 3 or 4 hours if he goes in on Saturday. We are also paying off our debt. We had really got into a bad place after months of unemployment sowe are just slowly working on fixing it.

His working hours have been a sore point for us in the past-- well, because, he has his college classes on top of his working hours, too-- but I am finally learning to come to terms with it. After years. I have spoken to him about our priorities though, to make sure I didn't marry a workaholic! He isn't though. He would rather be with us, he just feels very motivated to work off our debt just as fast as he can. I love that about him.

And I'm so happy for you guys that you have that opportunity too. I'm sorry it's so hard for you, too bad we don't live closer together, then we could hang out and chat while we do chores together.

Hmmm, dreaming of an LDS natural parenting commune . . . :

Old 07-05-2007, 02:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LionTigerBear View Post
Hmmm, dreaming of an LDS natural parenting commune . . . :
shhhh!! don't say that too loud. Robbie has been dieing to live in a commune for years. keeps bugging me about it. i guess i'm too much of a wimp.

Old 07-05-2007, 02:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by magstphil View Post
shhhh!! don't say that too loud. Robbie has been dieing to live in a commune for years. keeps bugging me about it. i guess i'm too much of a wimp.
Oh c'mon. I could help you with your dishes. We would all finally have babysitters we could trust. Our Relief Society would so totally rock, the other ladies (who are not in our commune) would stand a chance against the sheer volume of information headed their way. Our church's nursery room would be supplied with slings and wooden toys. There would be healthy snacks and no candy rewards in Primary. You wouldn't have to feed the kids before attending a church dinner function. We could all do our organic canning together as we ground our sprouted grain bulgur flour.

Ahhh . . . that would be the life . . . Actually I bet that WILL be the life, in the millenium. Anyone ever think to themselves, "ha ha, the other church members will see that I'm right about [fill in the blank]-- some day!"

:

Old 07-05-2007, 03:14 PM

Well I might be the most crunchy person in my ward.. I at least have the blessing of the nursery leader being amazing!

She refuses any snacks for the kids that contain unnatural sugars, preservatives or dyes. : She demanded healthy snacks.. and got them! So they kids now eat apples, cheese sticks, carrots, raisins, and a bunch of other goodies that come out of her ORGANIC garden!!!! Oh yeah! I'm in love ladies. LOL. I'm in the primary presidency so I get to stick up for her and validate her reasoning. It's great. That's a moment when I truly feel the reason of my calling. Alright.. to be fair- she is MUCH more supportive of my ideals than any other. To be truthful, she is actually AP ... she just doesn't know it. If she knew what it was she would support it I'm sure. I love my nursery leader!

Old 07-05-2007, 03:39 PM

Hi, reintro, I am Nancy, Married to michael we have been members only about a year. We have Kyra who turned 2 in May and Zoe who just turned 10 monthes and mystery baby due in the fall. Funny, one of the only ap minded mamas I know irl is a mama at church, she has a music calling, sings and conducts in releif society and sacrament...she had two waterbirths, bf, cd, don't know if she babywore, because her boys are 8 and 10 now she doesn't vax homeschools and eats awesome, homemade non processed food..she seems to be the mom I aspire to be. I love my kids and do the best i can but striving to do better and I want my home to be like theres in a spiritual sense. I actually want to get it together enough emotionally to have my house in good enough shape to have their family over for dinner. I think if I tried, we might be able to be friends we seem to have a lot in common. I left Kyra with her when Michal was hospitalized in the fall and felt perfectly safe, and Kyra was happy as anything...which is not the norm for my cling on!
I wish more people around here were like her...can't tell how many people in church even think I am nuts for not wanting a break and a hospital birth! Or baby wearing! Or for pumping when we couldn't bf! Or many of the other things I feel strongly about.

A book...I always write a book. Sorry...long intro!

Nancy, Mom to Kyra (2005), Zoe (2006), Callie (2007) (2008), and Xavier (2009)
Old 07-05-2007, 06:58 PM

I'm Pamela with 3 dd's and another one due next month.

I'm by far the most AP in my ward but I've made an impression. I have one girl converting over to cloth for her 8 month old and another mom who is due a couple weeks after me with her 1st is totally excited about natural birth and breastfeeding. She is reading everything I give her on breastfeeding and is planning on a totally natural birth.
I really don't know her to well but we've been emailing back and forth and she has gotten lots.....
gotta go someone at door
Old 07-05-2007, 08:26 PM

Just wanted to bounce on over and ask for prayers. I had my fine needle aspiration/biopsy on the thyroid nodule in my neck today. I did it without the pain meds too! Which was my goal because I was pregnant and knew that even lidocaine can reach my baby. They didn't get very many cells though- mostly fluid, so please say prayers that the cells they did get are enough to determine a definete "yes it's cancer" or "no it's not cancer." It would be appreciated mamas and papas!

(Saying the mamas and the papas totally made me laugh. I'm only 22... I think I was born in the wrong generation. LOL)

Old 07-05-2007, 09:48 PM

Wohoo!! I just found out that my little sister (20) was just called as a nursery worker in our ward. That means Kathryn will LOVE nursery in our new ward!!

Just had to share.

Emily
Old 07-05-2007, 10:11 PM

That's wonderful! That makes nursery so much easier!

Old 07-05-2007, 10:19 PM

So we got back last night from Connecticut, visiting DH's brother and family. His parents were in town as well, for a baby blessing, and then we spent the 4th together. It's a pretty easy trip over there, about 2 hours, but it still requires planning and packing, etc etc. I have a small victory, in that this is the first overnight trip we've taken with cloth diapers. We made it! Anyway, I'm going away again tomorrow. DD and I will be flying to Phoenix in the morning, just for the weekend. My sister is turning 40, and her DH is flying me out, we well as my other two sisters and my mom, as a surprise. I'm sure it will be fun, but a) it still requires a lot of planning and packing, for me, DD, and DS who will be playing with a friend while DH is at work, not to mention finding a sub for Gospel Doctrine on Sunday, and b) this may sound petty, but I'm really not all that excited about going. It's 110 in Phoenix, but that would be okay if I knew I wouldn't be somewhat hassled by small details like the fact that DD is still nursing. My family is pretty mainstream. I love them, and I respect them and the things they have individually accomplished, but I think they view me as the family nut job. I'm also the youngest, and so I think they have the view that I'm still idealistic and I'll grow out of it. That's probably more my problem than anything, so I should just get over it and have a good time, right? And then when I get back, we have to get ready for our "real" trip this summer, going to DH's old homestead in the bay area, visiting friends in Utah, and a family reunion on my side in Idaho. Long trips all of them. Forget summer. I'm looking forward to fall. It's cooler then anyway.

User Tag List