Churches that teach prayer to God, not Jesus? - Page 2 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#31 of 39 Old 07-18-2007, 02:23 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Alisaterry:

The three-persons one-being conception of God is the only Christian conception of God (see the Nicene Creed). All denominations which believe this pray to Jesus, and believe that He is God. There is a reason that ecumenical councils include ONLY churches which subscribe to the Nicene Creed. Any other church is teaching heresy.

The Sabellian heresy goes further and states that Jesus is not only God but one in person with the Father. This is not believed by any church of substantial size, as far as I know.

Then there is the Arian heresy, which teaches that Jesus was created, not born, of God.

Then there is the Nestorian heresy, which Mohammed himself believed. These believe that Jesus is not God and that God could not have become man or taken human form.

I hope you won't take this as a personal insult. I am married to a Muslim man and view Islam as just one more heretical religion (it resembles the LDS religion to an amazing degree, in fact) that has sprung out of Christianity. I respect all people and their right to practice and call themselves what they want.

But followers of Jesus believe Him when He said "I and the Father are One."

It's not that the stay-at-home-parent gets to stay home with the kids. The kids get to stay home with a parent. Lucky Mom to DD1 (4 y) and DD2 (18 mo), Wife to Mercenary Dad
#32 of 39 Old 07-18-2007, 09:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by izobelle View Post
Alisaterry:

The three-persons one-being conception of God is the only Christian conception of God (see the Nicene Creed). All denominations which believe this pray to Jesus, and believe that He is God. There is a reason that ecumenical councils include ONLY churches which subscribe to the Nicene Creed. Any other church is teaching heresy.

The Sabellian heresy goes further and states that Jesus is not only God but one in person with the Father. This is not believed by any church of substantial size, as far as I know.

Then there is the Arian heresy, which teaches that Jesus was created, not born, of God.

Then there is the Nestorian heresy, which Mohammed himself believed. These believe that Jesus is not God and that God could not have become man or taken human form.

I hope you won't take this as a personal insult. I am married to a Muslim man and view Islam as just one more heretical religion (it resembles the LDS religion to an amazing degree, in fact) that has sprung out of Christianity. I respect all people and their right to practice and call themselves what they want.

But followers of Jesus believe Him when He said "I and the Father are One."
Heresy according to whom?
You're entitled to your opinion, but the truth of the matter is that there are Christian churches that either don't pray to Jesus and don't use the Nicene Creed as their statement of faith (Unity, for example).
#33 of 39 Old 07-18-2007, 11:48 AM

"there are Christian churches that either don't pray to Jesus"

I respectfully disagree. This is not my opinion. At worst, it is merely my belief. It is also the belief of the vast majority of Christian believers around the world. However, we are getting into a semantic point. Generally, the term "Christian" has been applied to followers of Jesus, that is, those who believed Him to be the Christ, and therefore, God.

However, the term could be redefined to anyone who follows him, either as a teacher or as God or as a good example. I suppose if we are just going to define religions as we please, then the OP could go to a mosque and claim that since Muslims respect Jesus as a teacher, the second-to-last prophet, and respect the original Bible, it is also part of the Christian tradition, and thus, Christian.

I suspect most Christians would disagree.

It's not that the stay-at-home-parent gets to stay home with the kids. The kids get to stay home with a parent. Lucky Mom to DD1 (4 y) and DD2 (18 mo), Wife to Mercenary Dad
#34 of 39 Old 07-18-2007, 02:15 PM

I was raised Catholic, and while most of the talking was done ABOUT Jesus, and what he said/did, all prayers were directed right at God. It always weirded me out when I heard others praying to Jesus. It didn't feel right.
#35 of 39 Old 07-18-2007, 02:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wendy1221 View Post
I was raised Catholic, and while most of the talking was done ABOUT Jesus, and what he said/did, all prayers were directed right at God. It always weirded me out when I heard others praying to Jesus. It didn't feel right.
Without taking sides about what is right, the Catholic church definitely prays to Jesus Christ. The mass contains prayers like Christie Eleison/Christ have mercy, for example, or the prayer known as the Anima Christi.
#36 of 39 Old 07-18-2007, 03:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by izobelle View Post
"there are Christian churches that either don't pray to Jesus"

I respectfully disagree. This is not my opinion. At worst, it is merely my belief. It is also the belief of the vast majority of Christian believers around the world. However, we are getting into a semantic point. Generally, the term "Christian" has been applied to followers of Jesus, that is, those who believed Him to be the Christ, and therefore, God.

However, the term could be redefined to anyone who follows him, either as a teacher or as God or as a good example. I suppose if we are just going to define religions as we please, then the OP could go to a mosque and claim that since Muslims respect Jesus as a teacher, the second-to-last prophet, and respect the original Bible, it is also part of the Christian tradition, and thus, Christian.

I suspect most Christians would disagree.
I really don't want to get sucked into another "who's a real Christian" discussion, and I don't think that was the purpose of this thread. I think the OP was seeking more practical guidance on her situation.
#37 of 39 Old 07-18-2007, 04:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChasingPeace View Post
I really don't want to get sucked into another "who's a real Christian" discussion, and I don't think that was the purpose of this thread. I think the OP was seeking more practical guidance on her situation.
Agreed, but would like to add I do find it insulting to again and again have my "Christianity" denied and doubt that Muslims appreciate being called heretical. It's that kind of "respect" that causes discord all over the world.
#38 of 39 Old 07-18-2007, 05:26 PM

Back to the OP questions, I believe the following church's (that I have some personal experience with) meet the non-trinitarian distinction:

--Unitarian/ Unitarian Universalist- open and welcoming of people of multiple faith paths, and depending on the congregation incorporate the teachings of many religions into the service and religious education curriculum. I attend a UU church and have for several years

--Christian Science- believe that Jesus was the "son of God", but do not pray to him in anyway to him. Believe that Jesus was a teacher for us all and that through his teachings and experiences we can be at one with God, as we are all the children and a reflection of God. Have distictive beliefs about modern medicine and healthcare that are "different" (illness is spiritually based) and eschew most healthcare options. Attended throughout my childhood.

--Unity- Was formed by former Christian Scientists, and is dramatically less dogmatic about medicine and take a more holistic approach to health and well being. Definately christian-based, but also do not believe in praying to Jesus and do often incorporate ideas from other faith traditions in the service. My experience is limited to a few visits in college and to what my sisters have told me (it is their faith choice).

All that said, I don't think that finding a Christian church to take the kids is the "right" answer, as it doesn't get at the root of the issue (your dh's opposition to your reversion). He may thinks that if he can get you to church you will give up this idea of being a Muslim.

I agree with the person (people) who have suggested that if church is so important to him and he is opposed to you taking them to the mosque, he should take them to the church he sees fit. this is his issue far more than your.

Mama to three small people; wife to one big person; pet-person to cats and dogs..."Be the change you want to see in the world"-- Gandhi
#39 of 39 Old 10-21-2013, 04:36 AM

I go to a church that does not pray to Jesus..we believe yes that Jesus was the son of God.God worked through him during his time,but he is not God.When we pray we direct all our prayers to God.Its a pity most churches these days tend to praise Jesus more than they praise God.Try praying and praising God directly you will definitely see just how much your life will change..

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page