Pagan Summer camp: week 2 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 43 Old 07-16-2007, 12:20 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
HOWDY Everyone and welcome to week 2!! Subject: North/Earth

I thought I would start out the week with some Chakra work. Since our body is the earthly domain of our spirit/soul/light/energy.
A breif overview of the 7 Chakras:
1 root (perinum) color: red, herb: cedar, things to think about: grounding, sexuality, stability, strength
2 abdomen color: orange, herb: Gardenia, things to think about:creativity, flowing, dancing, movement, giving, receiving
3 solar plexus color: yellow, herb: carnation, things to think about: courage, self-respect, power, integrity
4 heart color: green, herbs: jasmine, lavendar; things to think about: love, surrender, compassion, union, forgiveness, balance
5 throat color: blue, herb: frankincense, things to think about: truth, song, poetry, communication, vocal
6 third eye (forehead) color: indigo, herbs: mugwort, star anise; things to think about: vision, ideas, focus, all seeing, genius, dreams, inner peace, quiet
7 crown (top of head) color: purple, herbs: lotus, gotu kola; things to think about: enlightenment, transformation, divinity, gratitude, wisdom
I have added some things to think about as ways to help you focus your enegry if you feel you are having problems with one of these areas: IE maybe you are having a hard time forgiving someone, you can do some work with your heart charka.
I have a visualization that I do that may be something fun for everyone to try. I sit someplace comfortable outside, at night. I close my eyes and visualize the light energy of my chakras moving up my body starting at my root. I see a bright red light, as it moves to my 2nd chakra it adds orange and so on up to my crown, then it explodes out of my body as a pure white light that rains down around me protecting me. Then slowly I bring the enegry back in starting with the crown and back down to the root.

Here is a project: go looking for some rocks, either from your collection, outside or even at a store. Get them in the chakra colors and use them to help focus your enegry when working on an a charka. Sometimes it helps to have something solid to hold on to when dealing with body energies.

Daily quote: It is within you that the Divine lives. - Joseph Campbell

Have a great day campers!

H

mama to 6 amazing children joy.gif married to my main man for 21 years love.gif and finally home FULL time dishes.gifhang.gifknit.gif

#2 of 43 Old 07-16-2007, 12:43 PM

Subbing Woo-Hoo Week two!

-Rachel

#3 of 43 Old 07-16-2007, 01:02 PM

yay for camp!

Be pretty! Be practical! Be Pagan! Visit Pagan Hearth & Home!
 mama to lady.gif(4/05), hearts.gif(6/07vbac), diaper.gif(8/09vbac), and babygirl.gif (9/11vbac)

#4 of 43 Old 07-16-2007, 01:25 PM

Subbing to join in week two!

Wife of 1. Mom of 3. Conquering disability challenges, one achievement at a time.

#5 of 43 Old 07-16-2007, 01:29 PM

very cool...subbed in for week two!
#6 of 43 Old 07-16-2007, 01:31 PM

Hey! Week two! Thank you Mamaofthree!

treehugger.gif  Mama of three daughters chicken3.gif
#7 of 43 Old 07-16-2007, 01:32 PM

I'm subbing!

Sahm mom to three lovely girls, and happily married to a great, sweet guy
#8 of 43 Old 07-16-2007, 02:33 PM

Subbing again! I could really stand to improve my visualization practice.
#9 of 43 Old 07-16-2007, 03:01 PM

Yah, Week 2!!!!!!!!!!!
#10 of 43 Old 07-16-2007, 03:59 PM

Yay! Week 2 of camp... :

The info on the chakras is so cool.

"The true measure of a man is how he treats a man who can do him absolutely no good."
peace.gif  Embrace the learning that is happening within the things that are actually happening!    
#11 of 43 Old 07-16-2007, 06:31 PM

Subbing!

Postpartum doula & certified breastfeeding educator, mama to an amazing girl (11/05) and a wee little boy (3/13).

#12 of 43 Old 07-16-2007, 10:11 PM

Subbing!

I missed the first week but want to be in for the second!

There is an online test for the chakras... I'll see where I put the link and share it then :

Valérie   
#13 of 43 Old 07-17-2007, 01:15 AM

Wanted to share the flower chakra spectrum I picked tonight in the garden. Reminds me of Greenlee's chakra blessing necklace.

treehugger.gif  Mama of three daughters chicken3.gif
#14 of 43 Old 07-17-2007, 01:28 AM - Thread Starter

I love it! I have made it my wallpaper!

H

mama to 6 amazing children joy.gif married to my main man for 21 years love.gif and finally home FULL time dishes.gifhang.gifknit.gif

#15 of 43 Old 07-17-2007, 01:32 AM

Salvia, how beautiful! I especially like the green of those nasturtium leaves--so bright!

I held my favorite rock tonight while I meditated. My mind wanders around a lot still (it's what I struggle with most with meditation), but when I felt myself getting distracted, I tried to focus on how my body energy, in the form of heat, was transforming the cool rock into a warm one, and let that guide my mind back into my body.
#16 of 43 Old 07-17-2007, 11:35 AM

salvia- that's beautiful!

mama to lady.gif(4/05), hearts.gif(6/07vbac), diaper.gif(8/09vbac), and babygirl.gif (9/11vbac)

#17 of 43 Old 07-17-2007, 01:10 PM - Thread Starter

Hello campers and welcome to day #2!!!

Today we ae off to the library and/or bookstore! Here is a list of book to get you going. Note: most are childrens books, but they rock anyway!

"The Greenman: the Spirit of Nature" by Jorn Matthews This book is full of greenman pictures in art and structure with many greenman stories.
"Circle of Seasons" by Gerda Muller Wonderful children's book on the changing of the seasons
"Henry Hikes to Fitchburg" by DB Johnson A story from the life of Henry David Thoreau. Told in a very simple style. Art is pretty amazing.
"Wild Child" by Lynn Plourde One of our favorites, part of a series with Mother Nature and Father Time and their children the seasons. This one is about Mother Earth getting Autumn ready for bed.
"Walking the World in Wonder" by Ellen Evert Hupman This herb book for children has great photos so you can really see what each plant looks like. It talks about the plant, what you can do with it and the book is divided up by season.
"A Kid's Herb Book: for Children of all ages" by Lesley Tierra Another children's herb book packed FULL of ideas of thigs to do with plants, stories, gardening tips.
"Cunningham's Encyclopedia of Magical Herbs" Just another great book by Cunningham. What herbs are for what!

Project: Get yourself some peet pots and some fast growing seeds (like sunflowers or pumpkin) and start a wee garden. After the seeds have sprouted you can transfer them to a nice area and watch them grow. This is a great project to do with your kidlets!

Garden blessing (from Circle Round): "Spirits of the plants, green ones, brothers, sisters, cousins, I greet you today on this bright patch of soil. I ask your permission to pick what I need to feed my family in body, and soul, may you guide my hands to pick enough and not too much. May our mother the earth be well and healthy, and may all the childen of earth thrive and be happy. May we meet and part in peace."

Quote for the day: "And forget not that the earth delights to feel your bare feet and the wind longs to play with your hair"- Kahlil Gibran

Have a great day!

#18 of 43 Old 07-17-2007, 02:44 PM

Those books look really cool. I love the Plourde books.

"The true measure of a man is how he treats a man who can do him absolutely no good."
peace.gif  Embrace the learning that is happening within the things that are actually happening!    
#19 of 43 Old 07-17-2007, 03:12 PM

This is great. I'll be checking the library for the books! And I love that quote. Just put it on my myspace and blog!

We planted some white pumpkin seeds last week and they are growing like crazy already! I'm so excited to have pumpkins this year at halloween from my own garden.

Our veggie garden is also getting ready to explode. We have over 20 tomato bushes. Most with mid-size green orbs hanging from them. We plan to can most of them and use some in soups and sauces. We're also growing cukes, squash, broc, and beans.

-Rachel

#20 of 43 Old 07-17-2007, 03:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Salvia View Post
Wanted to share the flower chakra spectrum I picked tonight in the garden.
lovely!

i love chakra work. usually my yoga practice keeps me in balance, but when i get out of balance, i like to find... : unusual ways of opening.... this is the best heart chakra opening exercise i've ever done.... and working naked in the garden (think weeding) always helps my root chakra.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mamaofthree View Post
Quote for the day: "And forget not that the earth delights to feel your bare feet and the wind longs to play with your hair"- Kahlil Gibran
i love this quote! ahhh. and it was cool enough this morning for a walk after watering the garden! bliss. i cant wait to look for those books! thanks!
#21 of 43 Old 07-17-2007, 03:30 PM

It looks like I'll be spending my morning at the library tomorrow!

I the quote, too. I'm going to print it out and put it up here at the computer.

Wife of 1. Mom of 3. Conquering disability challenges, one achievement at a time.

#22 of 43 Old 07-17-2007, 05:08 PM

Subbing!

Last week was wonderful and this week is off to a great start! Thanks so much for putting this together everyone!

K

Mama to one, wife to an aviator, lover of a cancer survivor, graduate student, blogger and all around good person
#23 of 43 Old 07-18-2007, 04:46 AM - Thread Starter

Hello campers and welcome to day 3!

Today is arts and crafts day!
Make yourself an earth goddess. It would be nice to use clay from your yard, but if that is not possible you can buy some or use this recipe to make salt dough.

2 cups white flour
3/4 cup table salt
2 cups water
4 tsp cream of tartar
2 Tbsp cooking oil

Mix together in a heavy sauce pan over medium heat with a wooden spoon until it forms a ball. Take dough out, let it cool enough to touch and knead it. You can add food coloring at this point and essential oils if you like (glitter is pretty cool to add too). Knead until smooth. Store in an air tight container.

When you are done making something leave it out to air dry. It can take a few days.

Daily Quote: "There are two ways to live your life. One is as though nothing is a miracle. The other is as though everything is a miracle" - Albert Einstein

Have a great day!

H

#24 of 43 Old 07-18-2007, 04:21 PM

Great idea about the play dough! I sometimes add vanilla or almond extract to it to make it even more fun! (And your goddess will smell great!)

Jill :, partner to DH:, mother to DD 11/06 :, DD 2/2010 .
#25 of 43 Old 07-18-2007, 04:28 PM

What a great idea to add scent!

#26 of 43 Old 07-18-2007, 05:30 PM - Thread Starter

When you all finish up, it would be great to see some pictures of your goddess'. I will post a picture of my goddess on my blog soon.

H

#27 of 43 Old 07-18-2007, 07:51 PM

Fun! I love working with clay.

#28 of 43 Old 07-19-2007, 12:08 AM

Here's the link I was talking about: http://www.eclecticenergies.com/chakras/chakratest.php

With DH at home and many projects, I'm not able to come here daily and do the activities but I really like to read about them all! : And I do do them "in my head"

Valérie   
#29 of 43 Old 07-19-2007, 01:14 PM - Thread Starter

Good morning campers and welcome to day 4 of summer camp.

Today is potions class!

Here is a nice little cream to help with alot of summer ailments

equal parts dried comfrey, calendula (both sooth well), St John's wort (for pain), and chickweed (for itchiness) to equal 3 ounces
1 cup oil (olive oil or almond oil work best IMHO)
simmer the herbs in the oil on a low heat for about 30 minutes
Strain out the herbs.
While that is happening melt 1/2 ounce of beeswax in another pan (best to either use an old coffee can OR a mason jar in a pan with water sort of double boiler style)
Add the beeswax to the oil/herb mixture and mix really well.
And 1/8 tsp of Vit E (to perserve the cream)
Place in a jar (dark not clear) with a good lid and store in the fridge.

I have used this with my ds#3 and his rashes he gets in the winter and on sun burns and bug bites. It works great!

Quote of the day:"May your life be like a wild flower, growing freely in the beauty and joy of each day." - Native American proverb

Have a great day campers!!

#30 of 43 Old 07-19-2007, 01:44 PM - Thread Starter

VQC: Wonderful sight and test. I took it and it told me what I know. I have been trying to do some chakra work to deal with some issues I am having. I have this deck of cards and I keep pulling root and throat... I take the test... root and throat. LOL I guess I need to take that message and go with it and work there.

H

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page