LDS Mamas and Papas #44 - Page 17 - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#481 of 754 Old 08-22-2007, 08:03 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kelly1216 View Post
We are not the ones who get to say what one person does or doesn't do is wrong. We are suppose to love one another regardless.
Judgement does not mean not being loving. These things can coexist.

Moroni 7 14:16

"Wherefore, take heed, my beloved brethren, that ye do not judge that which is evil to be of God, or that which is good and of God to be of the devil.

"For behold, my brethren, it is given unto you to judge, that ye may know good from evil; and the way to judge is as plain, that ye may know with a perfect knowledge, as the daylight is from the dark night.

"For behold, the Spirit of Christ is given to every man, that he may know good from evil; wherefore, I show unto you the way to judge; for every thing which inviteth to do good, and to persuade to believe in Christ, is sent forth by the power and gift of Christ; wherefore ye may know with a perfect knowledge it is of God."

Moroni 7:18:

"And now, my brethren, seeing that ye know the light by which ye may judge, which light is the light of Christ, see that ye do not judge wrongfully; for with that same judgment which ye judge ye shall also be judged. "

1 Corinthians 6:2-5:

"2 Do ye not know that the saints shall judge the world? and if the world shall be judged by you, are ye unworthy to judge the smallest matters?
3 Know ye not that we shall judge angels? how much more things that pertain to this life?
4 If then ye have judgments of things pertaining to this life, set them to judge who are least esteemed in the church.
5 I speak to your ashame. Is it so, that there is not a wise man among you? no, not one that shall be able to judge between his brethren? "

JST Matt 7:1-2:

"Now these are the words which Jesus taught his disciples that they should say unto the people. Judge not unrighteously, that ye be not judged: but judge righteous judgment."

♥ blogger astrologer mom to three cool kiddos, and trying to figure out this divorce thing-- Blossom and Glow ♥

#482 of 754 Old 08-22-2007, 08:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by klg47 View Post
I watch DVDs, not videocassettes, so I'm safe - phew!
Yay for loopholes!

Wife to D (12/03) and totally smitten Mama to DD (4/05) DS (2/09) and expecting DD#2  6/23/11
#483 of 754 Old 08-22-2007, 08:08 PM

I also want to remind everyone that just because I see these principles as very black and white doesn't mean that I don't have gray areas in my own life. For example, I'm thinking of watching the Bourne Identity again (because I want to see Julia Stiles' hair, lol). And then I'd need to watch the Bourne Supremacy so that I can understand what happens in it so I can make sense of the Bourne Ultimatum, which I saw a couple of weeks ago None of those movies could be considered appropriate by my own definition. In all likelihood, I probably won't actually get around to watching them, but that's more of an issue of time/availability, not strength of character or something
#484 of 754 Old 08-22-2007, 08:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stacymom View Post

I just registered for doula training through DONA- my class will be in September!
That's amazing!!! Please let me know how it goes. I'm already a doula... but I feel like going through dona or alace might make me more marketed... I was just concerned about the vaginal exam thing/doc reviews... Enjoy!

On a side note.. just got back from the doc... Isaac was running/driving his little dumptruck with his hands and it slid out from underneath him just as he hit the tiles by our front door. He faceplanted and split right underneath his nostril all the way up into his nose. Poor baby. I took him in and they said he could use two stitches, but they'd prefer not to because it wouldn't help as much as it would be traumatic for him. So they said keep neosporin on it to reduce the chance of a scar. Poor baby!
#485 of 754 Old 08-22-2007, 08:12 PM

I feel icky judging people. It doesn't make me feel good. I will judge what is right and wrong for me but that is the extent of it. Judgementalness does not amke me feel good, or make me feel any closer to Heavenly Father. In fact, quite the opposite. I don't know why people do the things they o, what was in their heart when they did things. I don't know, maybe that's just me. I am trying to be accepting and teach my children that we should love everyone and not be snarky or vain b/c we think we're doing better than other people (not saying you're lile this! just a general statement!) My children will be responsible for making their own choices about Gospel Principles. I can teach them the principles, model for my children how to live righteously, but I feel that that is where it ends.

Wife to D (12/03) and totally smitten Mama to DD (4/05) DS (2/09) and expecting DD#2  6/23/11
#486 of 754 Old 08-22-2007, 08:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DucetteMama21842 View Post
I took him in and they said he could use two stitches, but they'd prefer not to because it wouldn't help as much as it would be traumatic for him. So they said keep neosporin on it to reduce the chance of a scar. Poor baby!
Yikes! I hope he's OK, and thank goodness he didn't have to go through the stitches! He probably would've had to be tied up in a papoose board or something
#487 of 754 Old 08-22-2007, 08:14 PM

Quote:
I'm seriously - and I don't mean that I'm upset that I can't make you think the way I do; I mean that I seriously don't understand
i'm sorry. i don't know how else to word it. an example?... where you hear a woman using profanity and it turns you off i am hearing more than that and listening to her messgae. she's saying "those ***** ***** ******* who beat their ***** ***** wives need to ****** ***** and ******!!!!!!" i'm hearing "men who beat their wives deserve the up most in punishment. i feel so strongly about this because i have personal experience and it breaks my heart." words are just words. their message goes deeper. in Blue this poor mama looses everything and her journey is heartbreaking and inspiring. she also chose to sleep with a man out of wedlock. her choice. does that negate the inspiration of her story? not in my mind. to other's it would. like Noah being a drunk could make people feel negatively about him. but he still did a great thing and his story is still told. people making choices outside what we would doesn't make their journey any less than our own or mean that we can't learn from it. in my mind!! other's feel differently and they are welcome to it. man, i hope that made more sense!!

Maggie, blissfully married mama of 5 little ladies on my own little path. homeschool.gif gd.gifRainbow.gif
#488 of 754 Old 08-22-2007, 08:15 PM

Danile, your poor baby! to you and your little one! Head/face injuries are so scary b/c they bleed so easily! I hope he heals quickly!

#489 of 754 Old 08-22-2007, 08:16 PM

Quote:
I feel icky judging people. It doesn't make me feel good. I will judge what is right and wrong for me but that is the extent of it. Judgementalness does not amke me feel good, or make me feel any closer to Heavenly Father. In fact, quite the opposite. I don't know why people do the things they o, what was in their heart when they did things. I don't know, maybe that's just me. I am trying to be accepting and teach my children that we should love everyone and not be snarky or vain b/c we think we're doing better than other peole (not saying you're lile this! just a general statement!) My children will be responsible for making their own choices about Gospel Principles. I can teach them the principles, model for my children who to live righteously, but I feel that that is where it ends.
: thanks, Kelly!

Maggie, blissfully married mama of 5 little ladies on my own little path. homeschool.gif gd.gifRainbow.gif
#490 of 754 Old 08-22-2007, 08:17 PM

Does anyone know the pros/cons of neosporin? Totally dumb question I know... but this would be the place to get answers. MDC I mean.. not necessarily the LDS thread..
#491 of 754 Old 08-22-2007, 08:19 PM

oh Danielle! i'm so sorry!

#492 of 754 Old 08-22-2007, 08:20 PM

Quote:
Does anyone know the pros/cons of neosporin? Totally dumb question I know... but this would be the place to get answers. MDC I mean.. not necessarily the LDS thread..
i know that i put it on my canker sores : it's all that works for those monsters! but beyond that i don't know. sorry

#493 of 754 Old 08-22-2007, 08:49 PM

Quote:
I feel icky judging people. It doesn't make me feel good. I will judge what is right and wrong for me but that is the extent of it. Judgementalness does not amke me feel good, or make me feel any closer to Heavenly Father. In fact, quite the opposite. I don't know why people do the things they o, what was in their heart when they did things. I don't know, maybe that's just me. I am trying to be accepting and teach my children that we should love everyone and not be snarky or vain b/c we think we're doing better than other people (not saying you're lile this! just a general statement!) My children will be responsible for making their own choices about Gospel Principles. I can teach them the principles, model for my children how to live righteously, but I feel that that is where it ends.
I think the problem is, again, in our society, we are taught that our WORTH is tied up in what we do. It is one thing to judge actions. To say, "that is a wrong course of action, for me or someone else." It is another thing to say, "that is a bad person". That we cannot know. It is wrong to judge someone's worth based on their actions. That is being judgemental in the worst sense, and that is what I think of when I think of "being judgemental" in a bad way.

I too, feel icky when I judge someone's worth. But when you judge the correctness of someone's else's action, not judging their divinity or beauty as a person, still maintaining your humility and love, then I think one can grow spiritually because it can sharpen our own discernment, enrich our experience, and potentialy offer a chance to serve.

♥ blogger astrologer mom to three cool kiddos, and trying to figure out this divorce thing-- Blossom and Glow ♥

#494 of 754 Old 08-22-2007, 08:51 PM

Quote:
No, I'm sorry . . . but I usually use plain tea tree oil in place of it and I can't recommend that highly enough! Hope everyone's feeling better soon.

#495 of 754 Old 08-22-2007, 08:58 PM

I've heard lavender essential oil is good for scars, particularly burns, but I do not have any personal experience with it.
#496 of 754 Old 08-22-2007, 09:03 PM

Quote:
I've heard lavender essential oil is good for scars, particularly burns, but I do not have any personal experience with it.
i do with tea tree oil! it's fantastic. i can't believe i forgot to mention that

#497 of 754 Old 08-22-2007, 09:42 PM

All this brings to mind another scripture, D&C 68:26-27
Quote:
26 For behold, it is not meet that I should command in all things; for he that is compelled in all things, the same is a slothful and not a wise servant; wherefore he receiveth no reward.
27 Verily I say, men should be anxiously engaged in a good cause, and do many things of their own free will, and bring to pass much righteousness;
I wrote an essay recently about agency and how it applies to EVERYTHING. It has to. It is such an integral part of the plan of salvation, as opposed to Satan's plan. Heavenly Father wouldn't have made it so only for it to apply to certain situations. How would we know which ones they are, when we get to choose? We are given the principles and left to follow them governed by our own consciences. That's gospel according to Bronwyn for the day.
#498 of 754 Old 08-23-2007, 12:24 AM

Quote:
On a side note.. just got back from the doc... Isaac was running/driving his little dumptruck with his hands and it slid out from underneath him just as he hit the tiles by our front door. He faceplanted and split right underneath his nostril all the way up into his nose. Poor baby. I took him in and they said he could use two stitches, but they'd prefer not to because it wouldn't help as much as it would be traumatic for him. So they said keep neosporin on it to reduce the chance of a scar. Poor baby!
Poor baby for sure!!!
Brings to mind an incident from our recent vacation to Colorado. We had been traveling all day - got up at 6am, arrived at IL's house at 7pm (or 9pm our time). Not FIVE MINUTES after we got there, DD split her forehead open on the corner of a dresser, from her instant rough-housing with the cousins. Luckily SIL used to be an ER nurse, and after looking at it said we could use the skin glue that they carry at local stores. One of our nephews did the same thing about 6 months ago, used the glue, and has the teeniest scar now. So we did the glue, and it was ugly for a couple weeks, but now it looks okay. MIL says we should put vitamin E on it daily to minimize the scarring...but I've not been doing that. Hopefully as she grows the scar will continue to fade, so she doesn't feel self conscious about it. I'm mostly just glad we didn't have to go sit in an ER after such a long day of flying and all. And yeah, head wounds are the worst for bleeding like crazy.

(And a little side note to that story - I was walking past her, saw her spinning and running like crazy in a little room with lots of furniture, and thought "She's gonna get hurt!!" But I had to pee like crazy, and being pregnant, I suddenly just can't hold it in anymore...so I walked on by to use the bathroom. She seriously started wailing about 2 seconds after I had sat down, and I just groaned at me not listening to that thought as I walked by. But... the idea of peeing my pants just to prevent a possible injury was just too much motivation to ignore the thought!)

SAHM to Melinda (Oct '03), Jacob (Aug '05),  Alex (Apr '08), and baby.gif Malcolm (Sept 29, '11)

#499 of 754 Old 08-23-2007, 01:08 AM

Quote:
If I met any of you in real life, I would probably sit there completely mute the whole time
Everyone, don't believe this for a second. Katie came to my house for dinner a few weeks ago, and we talked for hours! There was no sitting mute from either one of us!

Thanks everyone for being excited for me. I am very excited. My dh is very nervous for me, which is par for the course. At least we've gotten past the arguing about homebirths part, now he's just uneasy about me assisting at others' homebirths!

Quote:
Originally Posted by alisaterry View Post
Hurray! Congratulations!

If anyone wants helps with genealogy, the church genealogy volunteers specialize in helping people, for free.

It's the hobby I took up during my infertile years. That and crocheting.

Alisa, that made me laugh out loud! It's just so applicable to my situation with the DONA training right now! Most of you probably remember that I had a m/c in March, and we're coming up on what would have been the due date. It took us a long time to conceive then, and we're not having any success now either. It been hard for me to adjust what is really happening in my life with what I thought would be happening. I've always wanted to pusue doula or midwifery work, and when an opportunity to work with a local midwife came up, I decided that there wouldn't be a better time than now to go after it. I'm so excited to be doing something for me, for my education, and since I have the time since my kids are a little bit older and more independent. But it does feel a little bit like an "infertility project" so to speak.

Hmmm. No word from Pamela today. Maybe the LDS mamas thread baby boom is about to start!

Violin teaching, doula-ing Mom to Abby, (8) Ashlynn, (6) : and Max (11/13/08) Diagnosed with Metopic Craniosynostosis. First surgery 5/1/09, Second surgery March 2010.
#500 of 754 Old 08-23-2007, 01:53 AM

Not LDS but need to ask a question about my friends. My new friends are LDS and they know that my whole family, excluding my mother and siblings, are LDS as well (born in Salt Lake). So I appreciate the religion and the missionizing. However, I am not up for becoming Mormon myself. Can you tell me if I will be visited by missionaries now that my friends are inclined to invite me to church? They are by no means pressuring me, but have kindly extended an invite. What is a witnessing list? I really like these people and don't want to hurt any feelings so I just want to know from experienced individuals how to deal with such a situation or if it is even likely to arise. Thank you so much for any help you provide. I hope I haven't mis-spoken or offended anyone with this set of questions
#501 of 754 Old 08-23-2007, 02:01 AM

I think you can safely explain that you aren't comfortable having anyone from the church visit you at home. And that's not offensive. Some missionaries and members can be overly zealous!
#502 of 754 Old 08-23-2007, 08:10 AM

Good morning.

Just FYI, I'm in labor. Contractions started around 3 pm yesterday 2-3 minutes a part and really making me work. Slowed down around midnight and they are picking up again(4am now its 5am) Nothing but bloody show and very very crampy. This is definatly not going away.
#503 of 754 Old 08-23-2007, 09:39 AM

Quote:
Everyone, don't believe this for a second. Katie came to my house for dinner a few weeks ago, and we talked for hours! There was no sitting mute from either one of us!
That's because you are just ONE person! I had a get-together of high school friends, and Marly got there first. I talked to her when it was just us, but once the rest showed up, I was pretty quiet - even though these were good friends that I actually knew in real life!

Quote:
Originally Posted by jhow32000 View Post
Can you tell me if I will be visited by missionaries now that my friends are inclined to invite me to church?

What is a witnessing list?
Your friends would specifically have to ask the missionaries to go see you in order for them to come (unless they were knocking on random doors and happened upon yours). And then you could just politely tell them you're not interested - usually they'll say "OK" and leave.

I've never heard of a witnessing list. Is it possible you're thinking of something from the Jehovah's Witnesses?

Quote:
Originally Posted by nakagain View Post
Just FYI, I'm in labor.
Stacy was right! Congratulations and good luck!!
#504 of 754 Old 08-23-2007, 11:37 AM

Good luck Pamela!!!
#505 of 754 Old 08-23-2007, 12:12 PM

woo hoo, Pamela!!! you'll be in my thoughts and prayers all day

#506 of 754 Old 08-23-2007, 01:22 PM

Good luck Pamela.

Yes, Katie is right. We were talking but then when everyone else got there, not as much. Although one girl she talked but we talked a bit about the homebirth thing because she is also into natural birthing. It's funny though, don't take offense, her mom is a talker. maybe that's why Katie doesn't talk as much. When dh and I are in the same room, he doesn't say much because I talk so much. But when he is by himself with someone, he can totally talk about things he is interested in
#507 of 754 Old 08-23-2007, 01:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by marlygf View Post
her mom is a talker. maybe that's why Katie doesn't talk as much.
Lol! That could be it
#508 of 754 Old 08-23-2007, 02:01 PM

Good luck nakagain!

I just had an idea. I sure would like a "meat sparingly" cookbook! Does anybody have any good recipes? (off to resume lurking in Nutrition again).
#509 of 754 Old 08-23-2007, 02:12 PM

I am on the search for a good vegan and vegitarian cook book. i want to learn how to actually cook with good foods. If I ever find one, I'll let you know

You all have to read this. http://cgi.ebay.com/LOT-OF-POKEMON-C...QQcmdZViewItem
#510 of 754 Old 08-23-2007, 02:21 PM

Quote:
Most of you probably remember that I had a m/c in March, and we're coming up on what would have been the due date.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jhow32000 View Post
Not LDS but need to ask a question about my friends. My new friends are LDS and they know that my whole family, excluding my mother and siblings, are LDS as well (born in Salt Lake). So I appreciate the religion and the missionizing. However, I am not up for becoming Mormon myself. Can you tell me if I will be visited by missionaries now that my friends are inclined to invite me to church? They are by no means pressuring me, but have kindly extended an invite. What is a witnessing list? I really like these people and don't want to hurt any feelings so I just want to know from experienced individuals how to deal with such a situation or if it is even likely to arise. Thank you so much for any help you provide. I hope I haven't mis-spoken or offended anyone with this set of questions
No offense at all. They should respect you and not pressure you in any way, hopefully they won't! I don't know what a wintessing list is, but it sounds to me like a Jehovah's Witness thing too.

Quote:
Your friends would specifically have to ask the missionaries to go see you in order for them to come (unless they were knocking on random doors and happened upon yours). And then you could just politely tell them you're not interested - usually they'll say "OK" and leave.

I've never heard of a witnessing list. Is it possible you're thinking of something from the Jehovah's Witnesses?
:

Pamela-- Woohoo!!!! Sending you happy and peaceful birthing vibes!!!

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page