LDS Mamas and Papas #44 - Page 19 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#541 of 754 Old 08-24-2007, 04:00 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I just thought of a perfect example.

Normally when you pick up a loaf of bread at the grocery store, you will see a long list of ingredients, many of them unpronounceable.

My favorite bread is also from the grocery store, called Granny's Delight Wheat and Fiber bread. It's one of the few not made with milk, so DS can eat it, but it also has 11 ingredients and that's it. If I buy bread from the health food store, it has even less. It goes bad faster so we keep it in the fridge, but we think it is worth the extra dollar.
#542 of 754 Old 08-24-2007, 04:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bekka View Post
Did you know there's a "Moosewood cooks at home" kind of cookbook? I borrowed it from my friend and copied down several recipes and I still use THOSE recipes all the time. Well, when I need nice veg. meals for more than dh and myself--my kids don't eat a whole lot of interesting stuff.

The nice thing about "cooks at home" is that there are fewer ingredients that are more common at std. grocery store and it's very adaptable and easy cooking, not "just" restaurant cooking.

I keep meaning to buy it. Maybe I should; I'm in a cooking rut.
you lost me . the one i have is very simple. i'm so confused!

Maggie, blissfully married mama of 5 little ladies on my own little path. homeschool.gif gd.gifRainbow.gif
#543 of 754 Old 08-24-2007, 04:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by candynut View Post
I've known a lot of vegetarians that eat junk all day long. I had a vegetarian friend at a camp I worked at and so I tried to eat vegetarian for a week (at camp - not a good idea - PB&J every day!)
when we first went veg we were junk-food vegetarians. it's so hard to go against or programming! i thought the only stuff you could eat was mashed potatoes, spaghetti, PB&J etc etc. oh how ignorant we were! now we have sooooo many yummy, filling, healthful recipes and i can't imagine why we (my family) would ever need meat again.

Quote:
But like you said, I don't feel good about it because of the WoW.
raw food diets can very much include grains and wheats. there are raw mamas on the veg board her, just ask them! i thought raw was foliage and that was it. then i found a recipe site and they have LOADS of stuff! i had no idea.

about food storage and health and preservatives and all that jazz- Dh and i have been going through this. we, well i, like to have a plan of action. my thought is that i'd rather get the healthful things we eat everyday (i have the luxury of staying home and loving to cook so i do it often and from scratch) and have a supply of them that we rotate through rather than buying a whole bunch of stuff we never use and having to throw it out and re-buy it. like white flour or ramen noodles. i use canned beans as a crutch because of time but i want to start using dry beans.
and speaking of food storage i just now realized (and boy do i feel dumb over it) that the dozens of formula cans we go through would be awesome for storing beans and rice and other stuff. duh, Maggie! :

Maggie, blissfully married mama of 5 little ladies on my own little path. homeschool.gif gd.gifRainbow.gif
#544 of 754 Old 08-24-2007, 04:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by brightonwoman View Post
The Weston A Price foundation says that you should 'eat only foods that can spoil, but eat them before they do so'...I thought that was GREAT advice! If it can't spoil, be scared of it!!!!!!!!!:

jenni
This reminded me of a great one-liner...

The shelf life of a twinkie is strongly determined by the life of the shelf.

I guess twinkies are one thing to be scared of.

Emily
#545 of 754 Old 08-24-2007, 04:28 PM

I'm not supposed to be online because it means I've walked downstairs...;-)
Just a quick update, yes I was in labor and Anja Adeline was born via water birth in my bedroom at 12:03 pm yesterday.
During labor a heart issue was noticed and after her birth it has not resolved and there is a raised birth mark type thing on her head that is of concern so instead of waiting 2 weeks to see a doctor we have to go today and get those checked out.
Wish us luck.
She has a TON TON of hair.
8 lbs 7 oz 21 inches and she's just a bit bigger then my smallest.
It was harder this time around but my recovery is going well.

I will post a birth story next week when I'm allowed to walk down stairs. I had a weird tear(small) but I need to stay off my feet for a week as much as possible.
#546 of 754 Old 08-24-2007, 04:43 PM

Congratulations!!!!

And thanks for all the food help everyone. I just need to take it slowly.
#547 of 754 Old 08-24-2007, 04:48 PM

Huge congrats, Pamela! I hope the doctor visit goes well. So sorry for the extra worries.
#548 of 754 Old 08-24-2007, 04:56 PM

Congratulations Pamela! I hope the health issues turn out to be nothing or are easily resolved
#549 of 754 Old 08-24-2007, 05:00 PM

Congrats Pamela! I love her name! Good luck at the appt!
#550 of 754 Old 08-24-2007, 05:03 PM

congratulations!!!
i hope all is ok with her heart.
#551 of 754 Old 08-24-2007, 05:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nakagain View Post
I'm not supposed to be online because it means I've walked downstairs...;-)
Just a quick update, yes I was in labor and Anja Adeline was born via water birth in my bedroom at 12:03 pm yesterday.
During labor a heart issue was noticed and after her birth it has not resolved and there is a raised birth mark type thing on her head that is of concern so instead of waiting 2 weeks to see a doctor we have to go today and get those checked out.
Wish us luck.
She has a TON TON of hair.
8 lbs 7 oz 21 inches and she's just a bit bigger then my smallest.
It was harder this time around but my recovery is going well.

I will post a birth story next week when I'm allowed to walk down stairs. I had a weird tear(small) but I need to stay off my feet for a week as much as possible.

Welcome to your new llittle one!!!
#552 of 754 Old 08-24-2007, 06:27 PM

Congrats Pamela. I was actually discussing you at my midwife appointment yesterday. But you had already had her when my midwife came Enjoy your baby and hopefully everything will be OK. Can't wait to hear the story.
#553 of 754 Old 08-24-2007, 07:05 PM

Thanks for the update Pamela, and congrats! Welcome to little Anja!
#554 of 754 Old 08-24-2007, 08:54 PM

Congratulations Pamela! I'm sorry you had a tough labor. I'll be praying for your sweet little girl. Love the name!!!

♥ blogger astrologer mom to three cool kiddos, and trying to figure out this divorce thing-- Blossom and Glow ♥

#555 of 754 Old 08-24-2007, 10:00 PM

Congratulations! I hope the health issues are nothing to be concerned about. And also hope that your recovery goes easily as well! I'll be waiting eagerly for the birth story!

How do you pronounce Anja? Ahn-juh? Ahn-yuh? Something else?

SAHM to Melinda (Oct '03), Jacob (Aug '05),  Alex (Apr '08), and baby.gif Malcolm (Sept 29, '11)

#556 of 754 Old 08-24-2007, 10:25 PM

Hello all
May I join? I'm fairly new here, and just discovered that there's an LDS thread. Hooray!

I'm Jen, from N. CA. I have 2 kids, a 4 yr old son and a 2 yr old daughter. I've been LDS all my life. I was married in the Oakland Temple in 1998. I'm currently serving as the 14-15 yr old SS teacher. Having just come out of YWs, it's SO nice to have a "Just Sunday" calling!

We started out pretty mainstream. My first birth was an epidural-with-all-the-fixings birth. When I had trouble breastfeeding, I turned to an internet support group and came in contact with "crunchy folk". I started practicing attachment/positive parenting, extended breastfeeding. My second birth was a hospital NCB, and we started cloth diapering when she was 10 mos old. Our youngest sleeps in her own bed most nights now, but both kids are of course welcome in our bed any time they need us. I'm seriously considering a homebirth or birth center for my next go-round. We were TTC, but recently discovered (rather, confirmed) that I have a bad gallbladder, and so TTC is on hold until I get that figured out--don't want to deal with 9 months of gallbladder attacks!

So that's me. Looking forward to meeting everyone!
Jen

Wife to a great DH, SAHM to 3 great kids
#557 of 754 Old 08-25-2007, 01:09 AM

Welcome 2bugs!

LTB, would you like me to post the next topic on our scripture study blog?
#558 of 754 Old 08-25-2007, 01:13 AM

Hi Jen! Glad to have you!

I understand the sort of evolution you've gone through! While I didn't start out with an epidural, I did start out with an OB in a hospital, DD in a crib, using bottles (and eventually formula) at church to avoid NIP, and so on. By the time DS rolled around, I had talked with enough "crunchy" people and eventually found MDC and really started getting intrigued. Led to a midwife assisted birth in a hospital, no circ, cosleeping, extended bf'ing, cloth diapering starting at about 6 mos., delayed (non?) vaxing (still haven't quite made a firm decision on that, lol), and so on. And now here I am pg with #3 and planning on a homebirth. And still learning about crunchiness every day

I've had gallbladder troubles (non doctor diagnosed, because I'm just stubborn about doctors like that) for about 5 years. I've been either pregnant or nursing ever since I've figured it out, so I haven't followed through with my original plan of doing a good, solid colon cleanse followed by a liver/gall cleanse. I *could* just do the liver cleanse (which if I recall correctly, shouldn't affect a fetus or a nursing babe), but it's supposed to be more effective with the colon cleanse first. (It's just olive oil and lemon juice, the cleanse that I've read about.) Anyway, I've had those gall bladder attacks randomly for years. Sometimes none for months on end (didn't get any with pregnancy #1, for instance), sometimes 2 or 3 in a month. The usual infrequency of them make me forget to get down to business and do a cleanse. Anyway, enough of my story. I hope you can find something that will help you. I know how huge of a pain gall bladder attacks can be.

SAHM to Melinda (Oct '03), Jacob (Aug '05),  Alex (Apr '08), and baby.gif Malcolm (Sept 29, '11)

#559 of 754 Old 08-25-2007, 11:06 AM

welcome jen!

i was diagnosed with gall stones in june 2006. on my own i started drinking water with lemon in it every day. i haven't had an attack since and i'm a week or two away from delivering baby #4. there is a great liver/ gall clense that involves lemon juice and olive oil. i haven't done it, but will after the baby comes.

anyway, i haven't had a single issue with my gallbladder since june 2006, not even a little during this pregnancy. so, if you do nothing else, start adding lemon juice to your water! i didn't even change my diet ( which has NEVER been a fatty/ fried diet anyway!!!) the MD and RN think i developed gallstones from severe dieting.

good luck!

becky, WOW on the attacks and not seeing an MD. when i had my first and only attack i really did think i was dying. it was worse than any labor pain i have ever had. i was crying and writhing in pain for 4 hrs and nothing was making it better so we went to the ER. where it took demerol or morphine ( i forget) to make the pain stop. i can't imagine trying to get through that on my own at home. i ate a ton tylenol and a ton of tums before we went to the ER and NOTHING helped i never want to go through that again ever!
#560 of 754 Old 08-25-2007, 12:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by alisaterry View Post
Welcome 2bugs!

LTB, would you like me to post the next topic on our scripture study blog?
Welcome, Jen!

Alisa, if you don't mind, that would be great. I keep meaning to sit down and type the next study activity from Preach My Gospel, but I haven't felt much up to writing this week-- as evidenced by the fact that I hadn't updated my personal blog all week either. It was a crazy week. Thanks.

Speaking of writing, has anyone heard of NaNoWriMo? National Novel Writing Month-- November. Each year, thousands of people sign up (pledge, kind of) to write a 50,000 word novel (novella ) by the end of the month. The idea isn't so much quality ( ) as it is overcoming the mental blocks we put up to actually finishing something. Like in my case, when trying to tackle a novel, I've never moved past chapter 8 or so. I just keep editing and editing without ever finishing . . . So the idea is, once you get a good (50,000 word) rough draft hammered out, then you're more likely to actually complete the work. They have a website, too. So I'm thinking of participating this year. I would break on Sundays, and I'd have to stop a few days early, since we're going on vacation at the end of November, so I'd have to do about a chapter a day. Which is crazy for me. But social pressure and a deadline are just the sort of things that might work to motivate me to get writing again and actually finish something. I haven't written any fiction in over three years, and . . . this is embarrassing . . . the only fictional pieces I ever finished were two short stories I wrote in highschool. Of course I've started more than that . . .
So anyway, I think I'm going to start outlining and doing some planning in preparation for November.

♥ blogger astrologer mom to three cool kiddos, and trying to figure out this divorce thing-- Blossom and Glow ♥

#561 of 754 Old 08-25-2007, 01:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by danaalex View Post
becky, WOW on the attacks and not seeing an MD. when i had my first and only attack i really did think i was dying. it was worse than any labor pain i have ever had. i was crying and writhing in pain for 4 hrs and nothing was making it better so we went to the ER. where it took demerol or morphine ( i forget) to make the pain stop. i can't imagine trying to get through that on my own at home. i ate a ton tylenol and a ton of tums before we went to the ER and NOTHING helped i never want to go through that again ever!
Yeah, I'm a little overly stubborn that way, huh? For a long time, I would only get the pain in my back, near my shoulder blade, and I tried to solve it with chiropractic work, which really did nothing. The first few times I experienced it, it was plain horrible. Once, I tried taking like 8 ibuprofen in about 4 hours, which of course didn't touch the pain, but did make me throw up something awful. Learned my lesson about overdosing on pain meds. Eventually the pain got bad enough that I started actually feeling the pain in my gall bladder, too, which YES, is worse than labor pain. But usually it will only be really bad from about 10pm or later until 5am. Which is a long time, I guess, but it *always* goes away by morning, and I've learned that, so I just cope with it by watching TV or playing some video games so I have something else to focus on (Dr. Mario or Tetris is especially good, lol). I also found some reflexology techniques I could use, which have seemed to help when I get an attack. By and large, I *usually* only have an attack once every 3-5 months, or so. But I do need to try the cleanse one of these days. Or at least regularly putting lemon juice in my water. How much do you put in yours?

#562 of 754 Old 08-25-2007, 02:21 PM

yeah mine started at like 2am, woke me up from a dead sleep.

i don't know how much lemon juice i add, but my water ends up being really really tart LOL.

a friend said that apple juice is supposed to work too. she has a book about natural remedies for things and it mentions the cleanse, using lemon juice, and apple juice.

i really do think that and acidophilus has helped me not have any more issues.
#563 of 754 Old 08-25-2007, 03:31 PM

she still has the arithmia(sp)
It was never noticed at any time during pre natels and during labor we heard what sounded like hiccups and the midwife was positive it would resolve during birth. well it never resolved.
yesterday the doctor heard it well and did a consult with a ped cardiologist and we are still waiting to hear back. we will probably have to take her on Monday to Primary Childrens for some tests. the doctors don't seem too concerned since she looks great otherwise and she's nursing very well. Slight slight blue around her mouth but I'm told most arthimias work themselves out so hopefully hers will go away.
Her birth mark is also a watch and see. Its on top of her head and it can be several things which we won't know until she is older. luckily she has tons of hair to cover it. we will have to get tests on that too.
So 2 issues that could be something or nothing and we just have to watch and see. it defanitly makes me nervous having not just 1 but 2 potential issues.

I'm still working on the birth story...its taking longer since im not supposed to be downstairs

her name is pronounced ann-ya its Danish
#564 of 754 Old 08-25-2007, 04:19 PM

beautiful name, Pamela!! Anja is in our prayers. i'm sure all is well but it can be so nerve wracking.

#565 of 754 Old 08-26-2007, 02:11 AM

Congratulations, Pamela and Anja! You little one is in my prayers, Pamela, I hope all is well.

Katie? Are you there? Wondering if we have another baby on its way!

Violin teaching, doula-ing Mom to Abby, (8) Ashlynn, (6) : and Max (11/13/08) Diagnosed with Metopic Craniosynostosis. First surgery 5/1/09, Second surgery March 2010.
#566 of 754 Old 08-26-2007, 10:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stacymom View Post
Katie? Are you there? Wondering if we have another baby on its way!
Of COURSE I'm still here Today is going to be a comment-filled day at Church. I'm so excited (not, hee hee)! No really, it shouldn't be all that bad. Except I'll probably end up saying idiotic things. Last week I was stopped on the way out of RS and I ended up giving the lady an in-depth review of my previous ovulation-day variances. I think she was glazing over. Seriously though, I need to review the "overdue" chapter of Henci Goer's "Thinking Womans Guide" before church. That way I can reassure people with numbers and statistics that my baby isn't suddenly going to die now that I may be past 41 weeks. Actually, maybe I should get off the computer and get ready to go so I can be early and have extra chances to indoctrinate people! I have to be careful though, because even though I try to think positive, I'm terrified that I'll be so confident about my birthing plans that I'll get knocked down a few notches and end up with a terrible outcome or even an unwanted transfer.

I say I may be past 41 weeks because I wasn't tracking ovulation this time. DH was home on chart day 6, chart day 13, and chart day 28. I got a positive home pregnancy test on chart day 31. So clearly I got pregnant from when he was home on day 13, but I don't know if I ovulated on day 12, or 13, or 14, or maybe even 19! If I ovulated on that exact day, I was 41 weeks Friday, but if I ovulated a few days later, I might not even be there yet. DS#2 was born at 41 weeks past ovulation.

I *think* I had pressure waves (let's get all Hypnobabies here with our terminology) all night last night, but now I'm really not sure, lol. I did have a dream about my birthing time though. I listened to 4 Hypnobabies scripts yesterday, and I ended up dreaming that my birthing time was SO easy that I slept through most of it. I woke up and did a self check, and the baby was RIGHT THERE - like 1/2" from crowning. I was quite disappointed when I woke up for real and there was no baby head in sight, lol.

I can see some reasons that I've not gone into labor yet. I'm scared in several ways. I'll just list them off here: 1) that it will hurt, 2) that something will be wrong with the baby, 3) that I'll be leaving him too soon to go back to work, 4) that we'll have no income while I'm out of work, 5) that everything will change with my older two kids, 6) that breastfeeding will hurt, 7) that I'll have to speak up for myself during labor, and 8) that a project will go unfinished at work (or that they won't understand what I've done on it so far).
#567 of 754 Old 08-26-2007, 04:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by klg47 View Post
Last week I was stopped on the way out of RS and I ended up giving the lady an in-depth review of my previous ovulation-day variances. I think she was glazing over.
This sounds perfect. Overwhelm people with info, and maybe they'll leave you alone. I think I'll do that next time too, the next time someone asks how dilated I am or something. That one really bothers me. Why do I want to talk about my most private part of my body? I'll just go into depth about how pointless it is to judge yourself on a scale of one to ten and expect it to mean anything. People here know I'm weird anyway.
#568 of 754 Old 08-26-2007, 06:29 PM

Let me just pop in and say that up here it is nigh on impossible to get fresh produce. Even the regular 'cheap-o' milk in the store is ultra-pasturized because they fly it up from Seattle--1100 miles away. I am learning to cook in a whole new way...again!
Basically, I can't get fresh veggies. I mean, I can, but not really...they are AMAZINGLY expensive, and not really very fresh, because they are flown in from at least 100 miles away. There's also not much of htem. SO, I am sprouting alfalfa on my windowsill...I'll branch into other sprouts I'm sure, but for now that's what I've got.
Frozen is possible but it's 50 cents/lb to get it flown in from Juneau, and that's after the shelf price (triple UT prices)...in other words, $3 for 16oz bag of frozen peas. Yeah. Frozen is not very practical (slower cheaper shipping is available, but of course it would all unfreeze...)

So its dried or canned. That's what we got up here.
Yay for sprouts!
I'm making my own bread
Mostly powdered milk and eggs
lotsa beans

It's an interesting transition.
I confess my sweet tooth is going nuts. LOL. I will need to make brownies or something this afternoon I guess!

(Thankfully we have a pretty decent little library here--lots of movies, good inter-library loan system...)

jenni

~Jenni, rural frugal Alaskan, eternally married to Dragon
loving my wild things DS Wolf (12), 3 angels, DS Bear (6) & DS Eagle (3)

#569 of 754 Old 08-26-2007, 06:29 PM

NCB homebirth waterbirth story!!

Monday night, Tuesday and Wednesday I had very crampy contractions from about 3pm to midnight.
On Thursday I woke up at 4am with contractions and knew that today I was going to finally meet my baby girl.
I called my midwife sometime around 6am and she was over about 7:30ish. She checked me and I was 3cm and 50% effaced. I labored in and out of water, had to do some positioning to rotate the baby and took a walk around the block and finally around 11:30 I wanted back in the water.
I was checked again to be 5cm and completely effaced.
I was very relaxed and able to concentrate and Anja was born at 12:03pm. I always had back labor and the crampy contractions really through me off because I've never had contractions like that before.

My 1st contraction to pushing were all painful and I was a bit taken back by it all. It was a new experience for me but like previous labors, once I hit 5cm I went right into transition. My water broke as she was crowning which was a very good thing since I never got the GBS test and I have been positive in all my other pregnancies.

I had a 1st degree tear but no stitches. I also didn't bleed giving birth and have hardly bleed since then. Also my after birth pains haven't been too bad which was a huge relief since after my last birth I was passing out from pain.

This labor was overall long and harder then any of my past ones but I wouldn't trade it in the world.
Even though it was my hardest labor its been by far my easiest recovery. My milk started coming in by end of the next day which is a record for me and I'm so grateful.

She is also my 2nd smallest baby ;-)

8 lbs 7 oz 21 inches long
#570 of 754 Old 08-26-2007, 07:13 PM

I hope my home water VBAC goes just as smoothly!

Jenni - that's hard! I bet you miss your garden right about now! Maybe you can invest in an indoor garden lamp and grow some lettuces? Like the kind they use for sprouting seeds.

Change of topic - I had my temple recommend renewed today. Mine has been expired for a whole because I felt bad about not going to church. The Bishop said health is a legitimate reason and that he never wants to see me go again without a current one (I've been current consistently since I first went through the temple almost ten years ago). He also thanked me for making the sacrifices and having the faith to be a stay-at-home mom.

Feels very good to have that card again.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page