LDS Mamas and Papas #44 - Page 23 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#661 of 754 Old 08-31-2007, 02:17 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
See, I knew lots of people did just fine with less money than we've been spending on food. So yes, I know it works - it's just one of my BIG challenges, for myself personally! (Also, my "grocery" budget covers all the other stuff, too, like toothpaste, toilet paper, bandaids, etc. - everything I would buy at a grocery store or other place similar to Target, that's not clothing.)

I would also love to see what some of you are doing for meals on a budget. I have some casseroles and quick meals I can throw together cheaply, but as far as their nutrition goes, I'd hate to do more than a couple of them a week, you know? I know I could squeak out some cheap meals, but I don't want our nutrition to suffer.

Seren, since you're feeling the same stuff financially, I'll keep you in my prayers

One thing that would help out our budget would be if DH did his expense reports at work regularly instead of hanging onto them for a couple months. I asked him about a few things on our credit card bill, and yup, they're work related. He probably has about $200 worth of reimbursements he needs to get. Men!

What do you guys usually eat for lunch? I'm so stuck in a rut of lunchmeat & cheese sandwiches. I like to have leftovers, myself, but my kids don't usually.

We don't eat meatless, obviously, but usually when a recipe calls for something like a pound of ground beef, I cut it down to 1/2 a pound. Same with recipes that call for chicken. I'll have to bring out some more of my veggie recipes I haven't used for a while and see how the cost compares.

We used to have a Sam's Club membership (Costco is too far away), and it was really a waste of money for us. Most of the stuff we would buy there wasn't actually significantly cheaper than at the grocery store (their milk was actually *more* expensive), and we don't have a lot of room for bulk storage (really need to start freecycling some stuff...), so the $30/year for being able to shop there wasn't doing us any good, unfortunately. And we get seriously annoyed with their saturday samples - it doesn't matter what time of day we go, whether at 10am, noon or 2pm, at least 80-90% of the sample stands are "closed for lunch break", the entire time we wander around waiting for them to come back. One of our favorite parts of membership is the free samples (makes for a fun saturday morning family activity, lol), and we get severely disgruntled when we can't do that.

OH! And thank you for the website (blog) link, too. I'm excited to check it out

One more thing - the phrase keeps running through my mind: "prove me now herewith"
3 Nephi 24:10
Quote:
Bring ye all the tithes into the storehouse, that there may be meat in my house; and prove me now herewith, saith the Lord of Hosts, if I will not open you the windows of heaven, and pour you out a blessing that there shall not be room enough to receive it.
Love that scripture. I can just picture Heavenly Father saying, "Go ahead!! Just try it and see what I'll do for you! Don't believe me? I'll prove it!" So maybe it's not a very "Godly" type of image, but it's what I picture

SAHM to Melinda (Oct '03), Jacob (Aug '05),  Alex (Apr '08), and baby.gif Malcolm (Sept 29, '11)

#662 of 754 Old 08-31-2007, 02:27 PM

Hi, Briseis, I am against CFR and NAU, as far as I can remember, I researched them mmmm . . . last year I think, HOWEVER, we support Romney, not because of his religion, and not because he is the perfect candidate, but because he is the BEST candidate by our reckoning. My second choice is actually Bill Richardson. Go figure. My second choice of any VIABLE candidate is Hillary (uggh), even though I wonder if she is evil. (I mean, I really do, just in a musing sort of way . . . like, hmm, is she posessed, or does she actually mean well, or , more likely, is it something in the middle . . . ? I think she means well but I wonder . . . anyway . . .)

So, I've been way out of the loop and haven't read most of the longer posts here (scanned them real quick) because I've been working on my writing. Just doing practice work to get ready for NaNoWriMo. After all, I haven't written in years so I need to brush up.

Jenni, NaNoWriMo is National Novel Writing Month-- November. You can sign up for the challenge (not yet though, I think) at www.nanowrimo.com. The challenge is to finish 50,000 words of a novel during the month-- can't start writing before. You can work on your characters, outline, etc beforehand though, to be prepared, if you like. There is no grading on quality, it's more the idea of "just doing it" already. You can always rewrite later. Odds are more likely you'll actually finish it if you've put 50,000 words into it.

Alright, back to my writing. P.S. There are TONS of great writers and beginning writer's resources on the 'net-- just as good as a college course(and I can work at my pace on what interests me)!

♥ blogger astrologer mom to three cool kiddos, and trying to figure out this divorce thing-- Blossom and Glow ♥

#663 of 754 Old 08-31-2007, 03:15 PM

We spend roughly $200/month on food, but our kids are little and both of them eat like birds. It worries me sometimes, but I figure they'll eat when they're hungry. But I'll try to keep track of what we buy and cook and let you know. Offhand, I can tell you we almost live on leftovers. We make about 3 huge meals a week and eat the same thing the next day. I know some people don't want to eat the same thing that often, but if it means I don't have to cook everyday, I'm all for it! I make our bread, but I don't have wheat to grind. I have heard this rumor at church that someone is putting together a big order to save on shipping, but that's been going around for a year now. I need to get off my butt and do it myself, but that's another story. So anyway, I buy whole wheat flour about once every two weeks. We have a garden with lots and lots of tomatoes, which we've been eating nearly everyday for a month now. My kids could live on bananas, so that's a staple of life here, as well as other produce depending on the season. We usually have a supply of chicken breasts and ground turkey (no beef here) in our freezer, We don't buy cereal, except for the occasional box of shredded wheat to use for snacks. For lunch, DH and I both like making oatmeal, which I realize sounds more like breakfast, but I've totally converted to it. It's yummy and it's supposedly good for milk supply. DH also makes a bean salad, with his own dressing. The kids eat yogurt (I get plain and add some honey and lemon juice) and peanut butter and honey sandwiches. DS is a total milk addict unfortunately, so we do buy more milk than I would like. Ironically, DD doesn't like it at all, although she loves yogurt. I wonder how much of that has to do with how much longer she was nursed than her brother.
Wow, sorry that got long, but I hope it was coherent and helpful. My kids have never shown any allergies, and so I know that would greatly change groceries working around allergies and intolerances. I have no insight there.
#664 of 754 Old 08-31-2007, 03:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leiahs View Post
I would also love to see what some of you are doing for meals on a budget.

My big secretqs are 'planned overs' (cook it once, serve it twice--or more), and doing remakes from a prior dish....
here are some examples:

Last week, I roasted a whole chicken. I made gravy with the juices, and served it up with mashed potatoes. The next day, I took some of the leftover chicken meat, mixed it with pasta, veggies, and all the leftover veggies, and made it into a cassarole. A couple of days after that, I took the bones and remaining meat, and made chicken soup. 3 meals, one chicken. (For this kind of thing, I buy the meat big--bigger than I know we'll need for one meal, but smaller/cheaper than getting two cuts of meat, kwim?)
Similar ideas--bake a big ham, then have hamhock/bean soup, ham sandwiches, potato soup/cassarole with ham in it...

For 'planned overs' my favorite way to do it is freeze it. I make two pans of lasagne, and freeze one... huge pot of soup, freeze half...that kind of thing. Pyrex makes great glass dishes with rubber lids so you can bake it and freeze it all in teh same pan (just as a warning, when the pan is cold from the freezer/fridge, put it in a COLD oven and THEN turn on the oven to get it up to temperature! Otherwise you'll have glass shards everywhere, and that's no fun. Trust me on that one : )

I have also found potatoes to be marvelously versetile, and SO cheap. I love taters. Soup, cassarole, side dish, etc. A couple of years ago we somehow ended up with 4 partially used bags of potatoes--so about 20 lbs--and just 3 of us to eat it (one of us being only 4 years old). They were given to us after christmas feasts and things. Anyway, I managed to use them all before they went bad, and didn't have to repeat any recipes.
:-)

jenni

~Jenni, rural frugal Alaskan, eternally married to Dragon
loving my wild things DS Wolf (12), 3 angels, DS Bear (6) & DS Eagle (3)

#665 of 754 Old 08-31-2007, 06:26 PM

Brightonwoman I was planning to do the same thing with our whole chicken last week but i'm not sure how to make chicken soup (dumb I know). Do you just throw the bones in and boil for a few hours?? I know that it's supposed to be very good for you b/c of the minerals coming out of the bones.
#666 of 754 Old 08-31-2007, 06:29 PM

Oh and I'm trying to get us to stay under $500 a month also. We moved from NoVa to Charlotte last year and the groceries are actually *more* expensive down here than up there....it's crazy. We do Almond milk for ds#2 and myself so that's a dent in our budget also.
#667 of 754 Old 08-31-2007, 07:43 PM

Wow, I can't believe some of you are under $200 a month for groceries!

We budget $400 a month on groceries. I'd say about 40% of that is on fresh produce. Probably $25 on milk (we buy farm fresh raw milk, but pretty much only DS drinks it). Oh I guess I include things like toilet paper and diapers (we don't CD).

For breakfast DS has milk and bananas pretty much everyday and we have toast, eggs, or fruit mostly.

For lunch we usually have leftovers from dinner.

For dinner, I use Saving Dinner (www.savingdinner.com). I subscribe to the frugal menu mailer. I really like it because we like most of the recipes, it is all much fresher and healthier than what we used to eat (I'm a recovering coupon-addict, so we ate a lot of *gasp* Hamburger Helper type things I got for a quarter - yes it's true! I'm sorry!). Oh plus, I hate making the same things over and over again. Once I got into a rut and just made what I always make for six months or so. Then I checked out Saving Dinner (the book) from the library and I felt renewed and refreshed.
#668 of 754 Old 08-31-2007, 08:01 PM

I also like doing "Plannedovers". One of my favorites is a roast. I just throw it in the crockpot with maybe 1 cup of water and nothing else. Sometimes I brown the roast in bacon grease in advance. That night we have roast with mashed potatoes, gravy, and other vegetables. Then we have roast leftovers, shredded beef BBQ sandwiches, and "Marlboro Man Sandwiches". Marlboro Man sandwiches are supposed to be made with cube steak, but the leftover roast tastes just as good!

I make stock out of my chicken carcasses. I put all the bones/carcasses that I've collected into the crockpot or other large pot. I throw in some celery, carrots, and onions. I add 2 tablespoons of apple cider vinegar, and cover it all with COLD water. Let stand for 1 hour. Then bring it to a boil, skim off any foam that rises, and simmer VERY gently for 3-72 hours. I now do mine in the Crockpot, because I was afraid of leaving the stove on overnight. However, I think the stock is almost better if it's not left quite so long - 6-12 hours is fine. It won't come to a boil in the Crockpot, but that's OK. You can add parsley for more nutrients during the last 10 minutes. To finish it, strain it through a large colander and then through a finer strainer if you want. Put it in the fridge overnight and in the morning remove as much (or as little) of the fat as you want.

From there, to make soup, you would take some stock, add water if it's too concentrated, and add leftover chicken meat, noodles, and other vegetables (more carrots, celery, & onions) and simmer until the vegetables are tender. Season with whatever you like - salt, garlic, poultry seasoning (thyme, sage, etc.).
#669 of 754 Old 08-31-2007, 08:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by quarteralien View Post
We spend roughly $200/month on food . . .
Wow! That's so little. I think I have missed this discussion so far.

I estimate we spend about $700 a month on food. That's for two adults and two toddlers. Some factors that go into that: food in the northeast is the most expensive, compared nationally, because it's shipped the farthest from distributors I guess and short growing seasons and blah blah blah. Also, we buy like 98% organic, all completely natural and as unrefined as possible, and we are on special (gluten and corn-free) diets. This includes a small amount of supplements too (not as many as I would like, I could easily spend more on groceries!) And lastly, we try to stock up on something for food storage each week-- since we're still trying to build our supply, it's not just maintenance, it means actually buying extra storable food every week. Of course once we are all stocked up with as much as this apartment can hold, then our grocery bill will come down.

Oh, and our "eating-out" bill is almost zero, so we save there.

We do spend a little bit "extra" on food. Almost every week I splurge on something. On tight weeks, I can skip the splurges, skip the stocking up, and keep it down to about $120 (for one week.) Then I have to spend more the next week to make up.

But also, to me, quality of food is one of the most important things. Right up there with paying the rent and making car payments. We would shut off internet and sell all our DVDs before considering compromising our diet (for quality, not fanciness). I didn't always feel that way, and I had to convince Brian of it, but he has seen how our health plummets when we compromise on food, so he is a believer now. Of course, we would never compromise on tithing though-- that comes first of all.

And there was a time about two years ago when we were very poor and were forced to compromise-- we had no choice, we were getting help from the Bishop's Pantry it was so bad. I am so grateful we are in a better situation now.

♥ blogger astrologer mom to three cool kiddos, and trying to figure out this divorce thing-- Blossom and Glow ♥

#670 of 754 Old 08-31-2007, 08:29 PM

We're living with my parents now and eating with them, so I have no idea what the food budget is like. (We just pay a monthly "rent" that covers utilities & food.) I've been doing the meal planning and shopping lists, then my mother and I do the shopping together and she pays for everything. Right now there are ten people living in this house (my parents, DH & I, one college-age sister who's going back to school next month, two teenage brothers, one 10 year old brother, and my two toddlers), and one week we spent $500 for everything. We ended up with a ton of leftovers because not everyone was home every night, so we had enough food for like a week and a half... but we had to run back to the store later in the week for more milk and yogurt (we really can't fit more than two gallons of milk in the fridge, and my kids alone go through three dozen Yoplait yogurts every week).

So, I suspect we're well over $1000 in food every month... but that is for 10 people.

When we were in Utah, our food budget was about $75 per week... that was just for me, DH and one toddler (the other one was still nursing more than not).

When DH and I get our own apartment, I really hope we can keep our food budget really low... I'll be watching for more tips.

Emily
#671 of 754 Old 09-01-2007, 01:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LionTigerBear View Post
food in the northeast is the most expensive, compared nationally, because it's shipped the farthest from distributors I guess and short growing seasons and blah blah blah.
I never sat down to think about why, but the food is definitely more expensive here than anywhere I've lived out west. And taxed on top of it. (Well, we're taxed 5% for everything - I can't decide if that's better or worse than 7-8% sales tax but no food tax. I think worse.) And the produce quality is also very hit and miss in the regular supermarkets For example, my favorite apples once had multiple large bruises on every single one of them, and roughly half the time I buy fresh broccoli, I find that it's completely infested with teeeeeny bugs inside, or has lots of spots that are going mushy that you can't see until you start breaking it apart. Grapes are often mushy and very poor tasting instead of nice and crisp and sweet. Bananas are either ultra green or better off bought solely for banana bread. Just to name a few frustrations : When I lived in Rexburg, I was a huge fan of all things potato, they were so dirt cheap. But out here, the boxed flakes actually get me more bang for the buck than the real things.

We're working on our splurging part of our grocery budget. I so often have had days where I'm just way too overwhelmed with being tired, or having an overly cluttered working area, or blah blah blah insert a lot of excuses here, and I ask DH to just grab something on the way home. Cracking down on my meal planning definitely helps avoid those situations - not having to spend the energy to come up with a meal on top of the other frustrations is a giant step towards actually making food instead of grabbing something convenient.

Maybe meal planning is just one giant lesson in overall life preparedness for me. If I can master meal planning, I can learn to plan for anything!

SAHM to Melinda (Oct '03), Jacob (Aug '05),  Alex (Apr '08), and baby.gif Malcolm (Sept 29, '11)

#672 of 754 Old 09-01-2007, 02:02 AM

Could I just introduce myself here?
I am LDS living In Australia.

Food is getting more and expensive all the time. In Australia we are dealing with drought too so that does make a difference as does the price of fuel.
#673 of 754 Old 09-01-2007, 05:02 AM

Hi and Welcome, Mama Naturale!!

Wife to D (12/03) and totally smitten Mama to DD (4/05) DS (2/09) and expecting DD#2  6/23/11
#674 of 754 Old 09-01-2007, 07:49 AM

Welcome, Mama Naturale!

#675 of 754 Old 09-01-2007, 08:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leiahs View Post
I never sat down to think about why, but the food is definitely more expensive here than anywhere I've lived out west. And taxed on top of it. (Well, we're taxed 5% for everything - I can't decide if that's better or worse than 7-8% sales tax but no food tax. I think worse.) And the produce quality is also very hit and miss in the regular supermarkets For example, my favorite apples once had multiple large bruises on every single one of them, and roughly half the time I buy fresh broccoli, I find that it's completely infested with teeeeeny bugs inside, or has lots of spots that are going mushy that you can't see until you start breaking it apart. Grapes are often mushy and very poor tasting instead of nice and crisp and sweet. Bananas are either ultra green or better off bought solely for banana bread. Just to name a few frustrations :
Well, we are fortunate that in NH there is no sales tax. So that helps. At the regular grocery store, I have definitely noticed a pathetic quality in the produce compared to out in CA for example (where I lived last.) However, I usually get my produce at a smaller health food store where it's almost all organic local. The downside of this is very little produce out of season so less variety and the produce is VERY expensive. I mean, really, really, expensive. $5 for two big tomatoes or two red bell peppers, $4 for a large head of lettuce, etc etc. When I really need to save money I do zero fresh produce and that saves a bundle. Of course, it's not very healthy though.

Another place I have started saving money is on meat. I used to buy all organic meat but now I have started buying more of the "natural" non-organic meat. I don't like it, but it's a way to save money so I can stock up on more food storage and I think that's important. That's a trade-off I can live with for now.

#676 of 754 Old 09-01-2007, 12:58 PM

PSA- Nemmer's brother rocks. just incase anyone was ever curious.

Maggie, blissfully married mama of 5 little ladies on my own little path. homeschool.gif gd.gifRainbow.gif
#677 of 754 Old 09-01-2007, 01:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by magstphil View Post

I agree food is more expensive in the east, but somehow we're still able to do it. I'm not quite sur how. I didn't think sales tax applied to food? Am I nuts? We don't have sales tax on our groceries.
#678 of 754 Old 09-01-2007, 01:56 PM

Before I start I want to give a little background on myself because I post so rarely right now and I want to offer you my biases first. For those who don't know me I am LionTigerBear's husband. I am a member of the LDS church and I support Gov. Romney.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Briseis_of.Troy View Post

I dont know if this has been brought up or not
but, I am a bit concerned because there appear
to be alot of members at my ward who want
to vote for Romney, because he is a
Mormon.

It worries be allot because he is a CFR member
and when i try to bring that up they ignore me.

I honestly think this guy is a bad republican
choice...but I guess what I'm wondering
is if any of you are voting for him because
of his religious status? And if any of you
are aware he is a member of an organization
that Hilary, Obama, and Al Gore also belong to?

Cfr is tied with the NAU which will dissolve
our current constitution and create the North
American Union, uniting Canada the US and
Mexico.

I'm just wondering if my fellow mormons are
aware of this?
Now I found this to be particularly interesting because just yesterday I had heard that Fred Thompson (who I was but am no longer considering as a second choice) was a member of CFR. Upon hearing this I researched to see what other presidential candidates are a part of that disgusting organization-- McCain and Thompson are, Romney is not. I don't know where you found that information but I suggest you inquire into the accuracy of it as this was just yesterday I was looking through the list of members of CFR. Please don't take this to be rude but I have found this information to just not be accurate and although Mitt, like everyone, has his faults, I don't believe this is one of them.
#679 of 754 Old 09-01-2007, 02:54 PM

Quote:
i love being mysterious.

Nemmer and her brother are my buddies on Shelfari. he has a rockin' shelf (meaning collection of books) i just think they're both really neat. had to share in the love.

Maggie, blissfully married mama of 5 little ladies on my own little path. homeschool.gif gd.gifRainbow.gif
#680 of 754 Old 09-01-2007, 02:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by magstphil View Post
Aww, thanks! He really is awesome -- I'm so lucky to have him as a brother. And he's single, but I didn't tell anyone that, on a public forum. :
#681 of 754 Old 09-01-2007, 03:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DadVader View Post
I don't know where you found that information but I suggest you inquire into the accuracy of it as this was just yesterday I was looking through the list of members of CFR. Please don't take this to be rude but I have found this information to just not be accurate and although Mitt, like everyone, has his faults, I don't believe this is one of them.
I looked myself at the CFR's official website, and their annual report -- http://www.cfr.org/about/annual_report/ and although it wasn't alphabetized, I couldn't find his name anywhere in there. I'm not meaning to be offensive either, since that organization is indeed something I find suspect, but I'm curious where you saw his name on a member roster, Briseis? Thanks!
#682 of 754 Old 09-01-2007, 03:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LionTigerBear View Post
Jenni, NaNoWriMo is National Novel Writing Month-- November. You can sign up for the challenge (not yet though, I think) at www.nanowrimo.com. The challenge is to finish 50,000 words of a novel during the month-- can't start writing before. You can work on your characters, outline, etc beforehand though, to be prepared, if you like. There is no grading on quality, it's more the idea of "just doing it" already. You can always rewrite later. Odds are more likely you'll actually finish it if you've put 50,000 words into it.
Hmm, so already having about 1700 words would rule me out, right? I guess you could say a lot ofi t's notes, but soem of it is into paragraph form and stuff, because it's transcripts of conversations, or i've written out stories that i don't want to forget! (Most recently, the insurance company that dind't want to insure us because we are 'too far from the nearest fire department'...although we do live over the firehouse here...yeah, funny, huh?!)
But what's the point of doing it all in one month? Is there some kind of contest or something? I think i would mostly just go crazy, blurry-eyed, and have a frustrated and hungry family if i were tryiing to do 12000 words a week.

jenni

#683 of 754 Old 09-01-2007, 03:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drewsmom View Post
Brightonwoman I was planning to do the same thing with our whole chicken last week but i'm not sure how to make chicken soup (dumb I know). Do you just throw the bones in and boil for a few hours?? I know that it's supposed to be very good for you b/c of the minerals coming out of the bones.
A good chicken soup is easy, but it's still a learned skill!
Take teh chicken bones. It's the bones that make a good soup. Personally, I pull off teh meat first, because the meat will get get all the flavor sucked out if you leave it in for this part...also I remove teh skin, because teh skin and fat is where all teh toxins go to. If you are using organic chicken, or plan to skim the fat off teh broth, then you can leave in the skin (I'm just lazy, and skimming requieres you to cool it and then heat it again, and I don't like to take the time).
So, bones in pot, cover with water, and simmer for a looooooong time. Ideally, put it in a crockpot for 24 hours. 3-5 hours on a low simmer on the stove will work, but keep an eye on it so it doesn't simmer dry. Add water as needed. The richest broths have chopped onion and celery in them too (feel free to add other herbs, such as thyme or basil or salt...whatever you like). Also add about a tbs of vinegar--this will suck nutrients out of teh bones. If you can break the bones, that helps the nutrients get out too.
Once it's cooked a good long while, Take out the bones (I often strain out the little goombers too...) and you've got a nice pretty broth...add the pieces of chicken, carrots, peas, potatoes, corn, rice, noodles, etc...whatever you like in your chicken soup. Extra plain broth can be frozen to use for other recipes.

hth!

jenni

#684 of 754 Old 09-01-2007, 04:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mama naturale View Post
Could I just introduce myself here?
I am LDS living In Australia.

Food is getting more and expensive all the time. In Australia we are dealing with drought too so that does make a difference as does the price of fuel.
Welcome!

I leave the internet for 48 hours to move and now I'm three pages behind - trying to catch up....
#685 of 754 Old 09-01-2007, 04:25 PM

Quote:

I agree food is more expensive in the east, but somehow we're still able to do it. I'm not quite sur how. I didn't think sales tax applied to food? Am I nuts? We don't have sales tax on our groceries.
Utah does. I think it is criminally unfair to the poor and elderly.
#686 of 754 Old 09-01-2007, 04:45 PM

Quote:
I didn't think sales tax applied to food? Am I nuts? We don't have sales tax on our groceries.
I'd never heard of this until I moved to Texas. I thought they were strange for not having it.
#687 of 754 Old 09-01-2007, 04:50 PM

OK, all caught up.

Here are some Terry family favorites.

BLT's - Bacon, lettuce and tomato sandwiches

Pita pizzas - just as it sounds, pizzas made on pita bread instead of pizza dough

French onion soup - onions, chicken broth, garlic, bread and cheese. Basic and filling

Potato soup - if leeks are cheap, we add leeks. Yum!

Fajitas/tacos, especially with green peppers and fresh tomato

Glorified Ramen -Bryan and Connor actually like Ramen straight, but I like to add vegetables to mine

Leftover veggie pasta - add all the odds and ends of vegetables together in tomato sauce and then serve with noodles

Eggy potato mess - Potatos, other vegetables, and eggs fried up in a pan. Topped with cheese if we have it.

Soup in bread bowls - canned soup served in hollowed-out french bread

Quiche

That's what I can think of off the top of my head. I eat a lot of rice and salads, Bryan doesn't. Connor loves rice, too, but prefers his veggies cooked.
#688 of 754 Old 09-01-2007, 06:23 PM

oh thanks alisa! that's a great list to start with.

we have food tax here in VA. DE did not, but i can't recall if FL and MD did. FL has no income tax but they tax stuff, just not sure if they tax food. VA taxes at half. so, 2.5 % on food.
#689 of 754 Old 09-01-2007, 06:40 PM

Quote:
I looked myself at the CFR's official website, and their annual report -- http://www.cfr.org/about/annual_report/ and although it wasn't alphabetized, I couldn't find his name anywhere in there. I'm not meaning to be offensive either, since that organization is indeed something I find suspect, but I'm curious where you saw his name on a member roster, Briseis? Thanks!
This is where i read he was a member of CFR.

http://www.thought-criminal.org/2007...ial-candidates

He also has a couple articles that where published by
Foreign Affairs which is a CFR newspaper...so i dunno.

I am not trying to be confrontational either so I hope
I'm not comming off that way. But he CFR and NAU
is a big deal to me so I'm just trying to keep up
with those who might be linked to it.
#690 of 754 Old 09-01-2007, 07:21 PM

I loved the talk about whole chickens and using the leftovers for other meals. So I bought a whole chicken with the intention of having a roast chicken tomorrow for dinner, and then leftover chicken will be used in a chicken noodle soup, and then further leftovers will become shredded barbeque chicken sandwiches (we have this *fantastic* BBQ sauce for poultry from a local place!).

My MIL taught me over the phone to make chicken soup...I thought it would be daunting, but I find it so easy and everyone I've ever shared it with just raves about it! I usually just simmer the chicken with bones for several hours, till the meat is just falling right off. Then I take the chicken out, debone it, put the chicken back into the broth with carrots, onions and celery (and use the celery leaves, too - adds more flavor), as well as at leasta 2 cloves of garlic (I always use the garlic press, but could be minced as well). I've never heard the vinegar trick for the broth part, I'll definitely be using that. But I'll also season with parsley flakes and some celery salt and maybe a little bit of regular salt if I think it needs a bit more. I just kind of eyeball that part. Once the veggies are tender, I throw in some whole wheat noodles and cook till the noodles are done

I think that's complete. I'd double check but DS is pulling me away.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page