LDS Mamas and Papas #44 - Page 5 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#121 of 754 Old 08-08-2007, 03:11 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
As a tangent, if anyone is interested, there is a big article in the New York Times (we get it free at UVSC) about raw milk and should it be legal and the "dangers" of raw milk in NY State. It seemed very "reactionary" and "alarmist" to me, but hey, what do I know.

Here it is: Should This Milk Be Legal?

"A mind needs books as a sword needs a whetstone, if it is to keep its edge." - Tyrion Lannister

#122 of 754 Old 08-08-2007, 03:27 PM

ITA LionTigerBear. I went to BYU because of the rules, not in spite of them, but I guess there are two sides of the coin.

Also, I read that raw milk article earlier. Since I am currently enjoying my first gallon of raw milk, I don't mind feeling a little bit like a daring rebel. Plus I loved "Real Food" by Nina Planck.

That said, I am wondering if I would still drink raw milk through pregnancy, just to be extra careful. Before this week I would have told you I hate milk, so it's not a big deal anyway (but the raw stuff actually tastes good!)
#123 of 754 Old 08-08-2007, 03:32 PM

Raw milk -
Alarmist news articles -

I've been drinking raw milk throughout this pregnancy. I hope the baby and I don't die.

Seriously though, I'm feeling quite vulnerable today, and articles like this make me doubt my decisions. : It's not bad that you posted it, just bad that they're so alarmist, and that I'm not more confident.
#124 of 754 Old 08-08-2007, 03:33 PM

Oh, and while we're talking about natural family living hitting the news, I saw this story online: http://video.msn.com/v/us/fv/fv.htm?...&fg=&gt1=10252

I hate to even bring it up because I know someone said they loved Baby Einstein, but I figured I was probably offending someone by drinking milk, and we all appreciate everyone's differing opinions. I understand if this is the one way you get to take a break.

Anyway, there was a research study that showed that babies who watch baby videos are affected in language development (kids watching the videos for an hour everyday understood 6-8 words less than kids who didn't).
#125 of 754 Old 08-08-2007, 03:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NewCrunchyDaddy View Post
As a tangent, if anyone is interested, there is a big article in the New York Times (we get it free at UVSC) about raw milk and should it be legal and the "dangers" of raw milk in NY State. It seemed very "reactionary" and "alarmist" to me, but hey, what do I know.

Here it is: Should This Milk Be Legal?
Have I mentioned I hate living in the state of fear? Blasted New York!!!!
#126 of 754 Old 08-08-2007, 03:35 PM

I saw that about the Baby Einstein DVDs - just a few days after receiving a set of 6 of them at my baby shower

My other two sons were slow at developing language, and I think this baby is destined for the same. But if it means the baby is at home with dh instead of at daycare, I'm OK with that! Dh tends to use videos more than I do
#127 of 754 Old 08-08-2007, 03:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lava mama View Post
I'm also struggling with finding my STRONG testimony. I have the basics down pat, but I've been fairly stagnant in the gospel for the last couple years. I found Alisa's blog and I'm hoping that it will help me on my journey to find my EFY/Youth Conference inspired testimony, but bring it to a whole new level.

!
Wait, what? Which one, the scripture study one or the regular one? The scripture study one is run by LTB. Mine is more of a Natural Family Living thing than a spiritual thing. Or are you talking about some other Alisa?
#128 of 754 Old 08-08-2007, 03:38 PM

BTW candynut, you never answered my question how you got here with fewere than 50 posts I know you're good with computers...
#129 of 754 Old 08-08-2007, 03:39 PM

I was a 30 minutes of TV a day Mom until this pregnancy. Now I'm bad in that respect. And we own about 15 Baby Einstein videos that we got as a baby shower gift. That makes me feel less guilty than Sponge Bob. At least the Baby Einstein videos have taught him how to say "Gorilla" and do animal sounds.
#130 of 754 Old 08-08-2007, 04:34 PM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 23 Post(s)
haha, the raw milk paranoia doesn't even make SENSE to me. I couldn't read the article because it asked me to log in. There is nothing *inherently* unsafe about raw milk. Unless, perhaps, it comes from an unhealthy cow that isn't well cared for or handled irresponsibly. If raw cow's milk was so dangerous, calves would be dropping dead all over the place wouldn't they? Oh but it can get *contaminated*..whatever, I see no difference between that and all those breastfed babies in daycare receiving bottles of their mother's milk. That milk manages to not become contaminated. I think it all comes down to, do you trust that the farmer you're getting it from is taking good care of the cows, and using sanitary milking and storing methods.

I've never been a *huge* milk drinker, but all through my pregnancy the only milk I drank was raw It was sold as "pet milk, not for human consumption" at a local health food store. Then they got busted. pfft. I think its still available in Indiana (not far from here at all) but we've never been to that store, and it seems kinda silly to leave state for milk of all things. So we've settled for this organic, pasteurized, nonhomogenized milk from a local amish farm. its pretty decent.

dd (7) ds (5), ds (2) &3rdtri.gif hbac.gif and the furbabies cat.gifZeus, Dobby, Luna, & Ravenclaw
#131 of 754 Old 08-08-2007, 05:04 PM

I don't feel safe drinking pasteurized milk. So I only drink raw milk, especially when I'm pregnant. Our raw milk comes from a very clean, professional, local family-run farm. We don't drink tons of milk though, just a bit. I drank a lot of raw milk when I was pregnant though-- when I was pregnant with my first, I consumed 1/2 a gallon of raw goat or cow milk every day! Not quite so much with my second, though, I tend ot feel that's too much now.

♥ blogger astrologer mom to three cool kiddos, and trying to figure out this divorce thing-- Blossom and Glow ♥

#132 of 754 Old 08-08-2007, 05:09 PM

Wow... this thread moves fast.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ancoda View Post
just wondering if you have found a midwife yet? I have DS 2 with a great group of ladies at Andaluz down in Tualatin. Ds 3 is also hopefully going to be born there. They gladly do homebirths or they have a beautiful birthing center. Let me know if you would like to know more, if not I will not at all be offended.
Yes! I found a midwife. I'm actually going with Jennifer from Andaluz. She's going to let me decide the homebirth/birth center debate when I need to... so for now, we're just taking it one day at a time.

RE: Tattoo's/Piercings... a big : to everything everyone else has said. My mom actually had a hard time with this one when President Hinckley first made that statement. She's not really the tattoo or piercing type, but about a year before the statement, me, my cousins, my mom, aunt and even my grandmother all got a second set of ear piercings. My mom loved the two sets, and thought they looked very simple and elegant. She debated for a while, then finally decided that if that second set of earings was going to keep her out of the Celestial Kingdom just because she didn't follow a prophet's council... she was willing to take them out. I think that goes along with what Alisa said... do you believe the Prophet is a mouthpiece for Heavenly Father or not?

RE: BYU Honor Code... DH and I met at BYU, we both choose to attend there BECAUSE of the Honor Code. I didn't want to go to a "party" school, and I liked the fact that BYU would be much more mild because people would be following the honor code. Unfortunately, there are a lot of people there that don't follow it, even though they agreed to... It made me really sad, because there are a lot of people who really want to attend BYU and are perfectly willing to follow the honor code, but they weren't accepted (my sister for one). Instead their space is taken by someone who doesn't really want to follow the rules... I agree that if you don't want to live by the Honor Code, go somewhere else and make room for those people who really want to be there. ...getting down...

RE: Briseis & the in-laws... I am so sorry you have been treated so badly. As others have said, the gospel is perfect, the church is flawed. I can understand what your in-laws are going through... they feel that all of their plans, hopes and dreams for their son have been flushed down the toilet because of his choices. They had this "perfect, return missionary, married in the temple" vision for him, that cannot happen the way they imagined it would. HOWEVER, those choices were his to make, and he made them. They should not be taking out their anger, frustration, guilt, grieving on you... they should be embracing you and loving you and their granddaughter and helping you overcome your very difficult and traumatizing past. I'm glad that your DH was able to help you when you needed help. I hope and pray that your in-laws finish their grieving soon and realize how horrible they have been to you.

-----

RE: Me ... I'm going to be off and on here... I really need to spend more time helping around the house (I've been soooo lazy recently), and now that I've pretty much got my energy back I actually want to help. So, I'm limiting my computer time to once a day... apparently that means I'm going to be catching up on this thread four pages at a time.

Emily
#133 of 754 Old 08-08-2007, 05:27 PM

I don't like milk, and DS has a dairy allergy, but we did find out he's OK with raw cheese. Go figure!
#134 of 754 Old 08-08-2007, 05:32 PM

Well my midwife will check me tomorrow and see what I'm dialated to and such and I said if I'm at least 2 cm I would NOT be opposed to being stripped.
I have only been stripped when I was preggo with my 1st and the Dr just did it without asking and I wasn't even really dialated.
Normally and when I'm in a better frame of mind I really do like nature to take its course but I have never been so miserable and maybe with a little nudge I can meet this baby and not be in so much pain. I do sleep well when I have my new baby because I really do sleep when baby sleeps and my dh will be taking work off as soon as I'm in labor. He's planning on taking about a week off until my mom gets out here. So I'm dreaming that I can go into labor by the weekend

Milk= :Puke
I can't stand milk and when I was 1st married my dh drank sooo much of it. Now we don't drink too much and I used to get milk from Winder Dairy but every week they kept messing up my orders and payment so I canceled. Now I get the organic from Costco
#135 of 754 Old 08-08-2007, 05:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by quarteralien View Post
BTW candynut, you never answered my question how you got here with fewere than 50 posts I know you're good with computers...
I did answer, but it was probably in the middle of a ramble, so you didn't catch it.

I actually don't know how I snuck in. I think maybe it was a rule made after I joined and they didn't apply to people who were already members. I never could get into the Trading Post.

I think I need to reiterate that I liked the BYU Honor Code! I just brought it up because there are extra rules there and other people complain about it being like the Law of Moses. So even though there is probably a black and white list of right and wrong up in heaven, we're aren't given it on earth.
#136 of 754 Old 08-08-2007, 05:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LionTigerBear View Post
Okay, I just googled it and got this.

I have to say the fact that NOMs distinguish themselves as "unbelievers" and regular LDS members as "believers" is disturbing to me. (They use this terminology a lot in their site if you skip around a bit.) I can understand someone not accepting all of the doctrine-- although logically, I don't see how it makes sense, but I can understand it completely-- but I don't see why you would call yourself an "unbeliever". If you follow Christ, then you are a believer, right? However, Briseis, if that is a community that you have felt fellowshipped in, then I'm so glad you have that support. I don't want you to feel less welcomed by me at all, by my bringing this up, but I'm interested in discussing it if you are. Otherwise, feel free to ignore me, and carry on.
I am a lurking NOM, and I will say that the "unbeliever" part comes from statements that Pres. Hinckley and other apostles have made regarding the church/gospel that basically say it's all true or it's not true. So if I believe some parts and don't believe other parts, like I do, of the church/gospel construct, then I believe Pres. Hinckley would call me an "unbeliever". I just try to do what God wants me to do...and be happy.
#137 of 754 Old 08-08-2007, 05:40 PM

LionTigerBear ( i forget is your name Jen?? )

I guess the definition is diff for many people...i always though NOM where mormons who struggled with certain aspects of the doctrine or who believe certian things but not others.

That is the case for me.

I dont consider myself an unbeliever, i find it kinda wierd you would call yourself a mormon but not be one at all?? I just have trouble believing certain things but not everything..KWIM? I never really discuss what these things are really, i have a couple times with my husband and he is pretty understanding. Aside from that no one really knows that i struggle with some of the doctrine.

But as far as being an unbeliever? I never knew some people defined it like that.

Thank you for your concern.
#138 of 754 Old 08-08-2007, 05:48 PM

One more thing about the tattoo/piercing discussion that I was thinking...

I think it is probably because in our religion we don't show outward signs on our bodies of our beliefs, just like we wear garments under our clothes not to show the world. I think it is to show that we respect the body that God has loaned to us just as it is. Same thing goes with things that we put IN our bodies. Our body is a gift to us, on loan to us. So we should be extra careful the way we treat it inward and outward. That is why we aren't suppost to drink, smoke, consume addictive substances, etc. We should always be striving to make our bodies in line with our spirits and minds.
#139 of 754 Old 08-08-2007, 05:56 PM

Hi frogley

Well, he kinda never finished his mission...somethings happened and he had to come home , something about depression, or too much stress etc. So..yeah that didnt work out ( not my fault!! ) lol.

And i have every intention of marrying him in the temple, however he has been on his probation for a very long time, im not really sure why its been so long but yeah. There was no " punishment " for me as baptism would wash away the sins of my past, and many of the things that happened to me or i did resulted from sexual trauma as a child ( which is the case for many molested or raped girls ). I also have not been endowed yet, as i am
struggling with some doctrinal issues. Not sure if i can be endowed if there
are chunks the gospel im having difficulty with-so that would also be a
deterrent.

Magst,

I live in Northern California ( central valley area ). Would like to one day, if everything goes well... move to oregon. Sounds heavenly.

#140 of 754 Old 08-08-2007, 06:10 PM

So, I have a day off and miss 5 pages!

Quote:
Originally Posted by mamaofprincesses View Post
Kelly, are you from the D.C area? I'm originally from Severna Park, MD - 45 minutes from D.C. I love that temple!!! I would have gotten married there but all of my and DH's extended family are in Utah, so we got married in Mt. Timpanogos. D.C. will always be special to me though.
I'm actually from Michigan. The DC temple is where my MIL took out her endowments, and it is also the temple that inspired my dad to get a recommend so we could be sealed as a family when I was younger. So it sort of held a special place in both our families, and was definately worth the 13 hour drive to get there! I got my endowments out in the Chicago Temple, but the DC temple is much more special in my heart than the Chicago one is (although I love that one too!).

Now I'm off to catch up!

Wife to D (12/03) and totally smitten Mama to DD (4/05) DS (2/09) and expecting DD#2  6/23/11
#141 of 754 Old 08-08-2007, 06:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by candynut View Post
I did answer, but it was probably in the middle of a ramble, so you didn't catch it.

I actually don't know how I snuck in. I think maybe it was a rule made after I joined and they didn't apply to people who were already members. I never could get into the Trading Post.
Sorry. I got lost in the pages and pages of stuff. That's really weird. but with one more post, you should be able to see Trading Post.

You know, I've never understood the desire for a tattoo. I don't even like putting bumper stickers on my ancient car. So I have a hard time picturing something that is so representative of me that I would want it on my body. Just me though. Obviously others feel differently.
#142 of 754 Old 08-08-2007, 08:30 PM

Okay, I know I'm a little late, but to me, the no piercing/tattoo thing is more a test of obedience than anything else. It a relatively small thing, but it is something we have been told not to do. Even if I don't understand why (on a certain level I do, but not completely) am I obedient enough to listen, or to do what I want? I had my ears double pierced already when that came out (at least I think they were pierced first!) and I thought it was so silly. But when I had my interview with a member of the Stake presidency to apply to BYU, he said he wouldn't sign off on it until I took those out. I argued with him. I was so angry. But really, it come down to, Heavenly Father commanded that, so why did I think it was up for discussion? Because, really, it wasn't. I ended up not going to BYU, but I still took out my second piercing. Because, really, what argument did I have for leaving it in?

Wife to D (12/03) and totally smitten Mama to DD (4/05) DS (2/09) and expecting DD#2  6/23/11
#143 of 754 Old 08-08-2007, 09:41 PM

Becki, Briseis, thanks for the explanation. When I have had questions or issues about certain information or points of doctrine etc., I have found great consolation in reading the question and answers section of Mormon Haven, which is not an official site, just one nice guy who really knows his stuff! (Tiffani, this site is great for investigators too!)

♥ blogger astrologer mom to three cool kiddos, and trying to figure out this divorce thing-- Blossom and Glow ♥

#144 of 754 Old 08-08-2007, 09:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kelly1216 View Post
Okay, I know I'm a little late, but to me, the no piercing/tattoo thing is more a test of obedience than anything else. It a relatively small thing, but it is something we have been told not to do. Even if I don't understand why (on a certain level I do, but not completely) am I obedient enough to listen, or to do what I want? I had my ears double pierced already when that came out (at least I think they were pierced first!) and I thought it was so silly. But when I had my interview with a member of the Stake presidency to apply to BYU, he said he wouldn't sign off on it until I took those out. I argued with him. I was so angry. But really, it come down to, Heavenly Father commanded that, so why did I think it was up for discussion? Because, really, it wasn't. I ended up not going to BYU, but I still took out my second piercing. Because, really, what argument did I have for leaving it in?
Hmm.... my ears have been double pierced since Jr. High, and I'm 36. So when the word came down, I asked my Bishopric and Stake Pres if I needed to remove the second set. They told me no. I did go to BYU, and no one there ever said anything about it......... interesting.........
#145 of 754 Old 08-08-2007, 11:49 PM

I'm really lost. What's a NOM?
#146 of 754 Old 08-09-2007, 01:41 AM

NOM is a New Order Mormon...

Its not really a sect, like Fundamentalist Mormons or RLDS its more like...

IMO a term, like Molly Mormon, or Jack Mormon..

NOM are mormons who struggle with certain aspects of the gospel or doctrine, who may still believe other aspects of it, i wouldnt really classify it as unbeliever imo, i think it is natural to question things...however i think
NOMs are people with long standing issues.
#147 of 754 Old 08-09-2007, 02:02 AM

Alisa~ It's the "Enduring to the End" blog. I don't know how I happened upon it...is it LTB's? Whoever it belongs to...THANKS a bushel!

Ali hang.gif Mama to Ezra (12/29/05) banana.gifand Willa (09/19/2008) broc1.gifand Louisa (5/29/2011)carrot.gif treehugger.gifnovaxnocirc.gifhomebirth.jpg

#148 of 754 Old 08-09-2007, 04:22 AM - Thread Starter

Hey, just wanted to say that I'm probably not going to be seen as much on here for the present future. I'm getting ready to go back to work in a week (I assistant teach at a charter school here) and will be gearing up to go back to school full time for the Fall Semester and am going to start the Grad School Application process, so ... something had to give, and MDC (and the internet in general) is it. I'll still be keeping track of the conversations, but just won't be on as much.

"A mind needs books as a sword needs a whetstone, if it is to keep its edge." - Tyrion Lannister

#149 of 754 Old 08-09-2007, 04:25 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by lava mama View Post
Alisa~ It's the "Enduring to the End" blog. I don't know how I happened upon it...is it LTB's? Whoever it belongs to...THANKS a bushel!
Its a general one that a few of us contribute to, LTB set it up and "moderates" it, so to speak.

#150 of 754 Old 08-09-2007, 06:53 AM

You know, my sister really struggled at first with being asked to only have one piercing. . .she had three sets, plus her cartilage, and her belly button. So eventually she decided to take them out just for the sake of obedience.

But she refused to tell my mom she'd done it!

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page