Muslim Mamas tribe - Page 13 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 
 
Thread Tools
Old 03-07-2008, 12:09 PM
 
Mama Aminah's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Henrietta, NY
Posts: 2,567
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by umsami View Post
Mama Aminah, we are the fanatics... didn't you learn that?? :

Sadly, I spend most of my time in that forum. I sort of view it as my dawa for the day.
: I don't think I can perform that type of dawa. May Allah reward you for your efforts!
Mama Aminah is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Old 03-07-2008, 12:11 PM
 
Mama Aminah's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Henrietta, NY
Posts: 2,567
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shiloh View Post
I reverted april 02, 1996...so I am comming up on 12 years...and feeling old
N&CE....like a moth to the flame
Masha-Allah - 12 years! Congratulations! I don't remember the exact date I accepted Islam. I wish I did. I would love to celebrate that!

BTW - you aren't getting older, just wiser!
Mama Aminah is offline  
Old 03-07-2008, 02:39 PM
 
Liquesce's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Mayberry
Posts: 4,680
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by umsami View Post
That was very interesting... I hadn't seen it. Not surprising at all, sadly. I get the "Where are you from??" question a lot. It goes like this:

Person: So, where are you from?
Me: Michigan.
Person: No... really...where are you from?
Me: Ummm... Michigan. I lived in Florida most of my adult life, though.
Person: Oh...where are your parents from?
Me: Michigan and New York.
Person: <puzzled, confused look> or sometimes I get the "ARe you sure??"
You know, I've only ever had that from other Muslim people. Mine goes more like:

Q: Where are you from?
A: America.
Q: Oh, I mean, where are your parents from?
A: America.
Q: Oh, really? They were born there?
A: Yes.
Q: So what about their parents?
A: America still.
Q: But, I mean, where does your family originally come from?
A: Well, my mother's ancestry is mostly from various parts of Britain, and my father's family is mostly Lithuanian.
Q: Ohhhhh, Lithuania! So there are Muslim people there, right?

Liquesce is offline  
Old 03-07-2008, 03:13 PM
 
Jannah6's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: BROOKLYN IN THE HOUSE!!!!
Posts: 2,066
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mama Aminah View Post
I am also having a problem meeting Sisters here in NY. I moved here a few months ago and have found it quite difficult. I am a hijabi and don't really see any other hijabi's around so I don't know if women are Muslim or not. YKWIM? I wish people would come up to me and say salam whether they had a hijab on or not. I do not discriminate. I would love to have a Muslim friend here whether they wear hijab or not. So please - say salam to some sisters. If they are good Muslims, they will not judge you. If they do judge you, you wouldn't want them as a friend anyway. I would also encourage you to try to find a halaqa to attend. In my last location, I became a part of a halaqa and have made friendships that will last a lifetime, Insha-Allah.

As far as the stereotyping - yeah I hear ya. I get that all the time with a dd that has a different skin tone as mine. What can we do?!
AsSalaamu Alaikum. I'm in Brooklyn, NY. Where are you located?

Saw that you are in Rochester.

: 2:Ma To 6 :12,8,7,5,2,1&
Jannah6 is offline  
Old 03-07-2008, 04:00 PM
 
umsami's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Location: Capital City
Posts: 9,943
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Liquesce View Post
You know, I've only ever had that from other Muslim people. Mine goes more like:

Q: Where are you from?
A: America.
Q: Oh, I mean, where are your parents from?
A: America.
Q: Oh, really? They were born there?
A: Yes.
Q: So what about their parents?
A: America still.
Q: But, I mean, where does your family originally come from?
A: Well, my mother's ancestry is mostly from various parts of Britain, and my father's family is mostly Lithuanian.
Q: Ohhhhh, Lithuania! So there are Muslim people there, right?

You're right. I probably get this more from Muslims than non-Muslims.

On the no blue eyed Muslims, DH's Dad (Egyptian) had blue eyes. So one of our kids has blue eyes too.

Jannah... Assalamu Alaikum: I'm in Brooklyn too. Bensonhurst near the MAS Youth Center.

Mom to DS(8), DS(6), DD(4), and DS(1).  "Kids do as well as they can."

umsami is offline  
Old 03-07-2008, 06:04 PM
 
Liquesce's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Mayberry
Posts: 4,680
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by umsami View Post
On the no blue eyed Muslims, DH's Dad (Egyptian) had blue eyes. So one of our kids has blue eyes too.
My husband had those Upper Egyptian blue-green eyes ... of course most people here just mistook him for hispanic.
Liquesce is offline  
Old 03-07-2008, 07:19 PM
 
Mama Aminah's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Henrietta, NY
Posts: 2,567
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Liquesce View Post
You know, I've only ever had that from other Muslim people. Mine goes more like:

Q: Where are you from?
A: America.
Q: Oh, I mean, where are your parents from?
A: America.
Q: Oh, really? They were born there?
A: Yes.
Q: So what about their parents?
A: America still.
Q: But, I mean, where does your family originally come from?
A: Well, my mother's ancestry is mostly from various parts of Britain, and my father's family is mostly Lithuanian.
Q: Ohhhhh, Lithuania! So there are Muslim people there, right?

:
Mama Aminah is offline  
Old 03-08-2008, 12:18 AM
 
Jannah6's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: BROOKLYN IN THE HOUSE!!!!
Posts: 2,066
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by umsami View Post
You're right. I probably get this more from Muslims than non-Muslims.

On the no blue eyed Muslims, DH's Dad (Egyptian) had blue eyes. So one of our kids has blue eyes too.

Jannah... Assalamu Alaikum: I'm in Brooklyn too. Bensonhurst near the MAS Youth Center.
I haven't been to that center in several years. This is the one near New Utrecht Ave, Bath Ave, right? We were members, but it was a little too chaotic for us. We just moved back to Bed-Stuy after living in Jersey for almost 4 years. My kids attend Al-Noor School. How old is/are your children/child? I'm actually looking to meet some sisters because my 3 3/4 DD is still home w/me until she begins school in Sept. My old friends are all working and their kids are older.

: 2:Ma To 6 :12,8,7,5,2,1&
Jannah6 is offline  
Old 03-08-2008, 12:29 AM
 
umsami's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Location: Capital City
Posts: 9,943
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jannah5 View Post
I haven't been to that center in several years. This is the one near New Utrecht Ave, Bath Ave, right? We were members, but it was a little too chaotic for us. We just moved back to Bed-Stuy after living in Jersey for almost 4 years. My kids attend Al-Noor School. How old is/are your children/child? I'm actually looking to meet some sisters because my 3 3/4 DD is still home w/me until she begins school in Sept. My old friends are all working and their kids are older.
Yes, that's the crazy place. DH keeps telling me, they're trying, they're trying. (Which they are.)

I have a DS who is 4-1/2, DS2 who is 2-1/4, and DD who is 8 months. My eldest is in the local public pre-K and loves it. We were on the waiting list for Al-Noor, but they somehow lost us... so I decided to do the easy thing and send him to the place 1 block away.

Mom to DS(8), DS(6), DD(4), and DS(1).  "Kids do as well as they can."

umsami is offline  
Old 03-08-2008, 12:49 AM
 
Jannah6's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: BROOKLYN IN THE HOUSE!!!!
Posts: 2,066
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by umsami View Post
Yes, that's the crazy place. DH keeps telling me, they're trying, they're trying. (Which they are.)

I have a DS who is 4-1/2, DS2 who is 2-1/4, and DD who is 8 months. My eldest is in the local public pre-K and loves it. We were on the waiting list for Al-Noor, but they somehow lost us... so I decided to do the easy thing and send him to the place 1 block away.

LOL, they're still trying. It's not only them, there are quite a few places, Masjids included, that can be chaotic. For instance, Al-Noor school on Eid.

I have 2 children in Noor school, DD 6 3/4, DS 5 1/2. My oldest DS from my first marriage attends Clara Muhammad School(that's a whole long story). So, I have 10,6,5,3, and 6 month old children. 2 girls and 3 boys that drive me, but they're mine and I luv them.

BTW, what's your name?

: 2:Ma To 6 :12,8,7,5,2,1&
Jannah6 is offline  
Old 03-08-2008, 11:12 PM
 
Mama Aminah's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Henrietta, NY
Posts: 2,567
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
http://www.foxbusiness.com/article/m..._501856_1.html

What do you Sisters think of this? A woman forced to leave a mall last week because she wouldn't remove her hijab. I can't believe this would happen in OUR country! : Well the sad thing is, I can believe it but it is sad nonetheless.
Mama Aminah is offline  
Old 03-09-2008, 12:01 AM
 
Ammaarah's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2005
Posts: 2,315
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mama Aminah View Post
http://www.foxbusiness.com/article/m..._501856_1.html

What do you Sisters think of this? A woman forced to leave a mall last week because she wouldn't remove her hijab. I can't believe this would happen in OUR country! : Well the sad thing is, I can believe it but it is sad nonetheless.
I can believe it. My friend was arrested for refusing to leave a mall when a security guard ordered her to (she was in niqab...pushing her baby in a stroller!)

The sad part is, when it happened, Muslim "spokespeople" spoke up by saying niqab is not required. Nice how they stood up for her.
Ammaarah is offline  
Old 03-09-2008, 10:40 AM
 
Mama Aminah's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Henrietta, NY
Posts: 2,567
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ammaarah View Post
I can believe it. My friend was arrested for refusing to leave a mall when a security guard ordered her to (she was in niqab...pushing her baby in a stroller!)

The sad part is, when it happened, Muslim "spokespeople" spoke up by saying niqab is not required. Nice how they stood up for her.
: How in MY country can this happen????? I thought we had freedom of religion!! Sounds like as long as it isn't our religion.
Mama Aminah is offline  
Old 03-09-2008, 11:32 AM
 
Summertime Mommy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Posts: 1,625
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mama Aminah View Post
: How in MY country can this happen????? I thought we had freedom of religion!! Sounds like as long as it isn't our religion.
I think that is the basic idea of most people here. Have you all seen this video? http://muslimmatters.org/2008/02/29/...live/#more-926 It makes me sick the way people act.

Non-muslims don't get it either, or at least not a whole lot of them. DH actually told me the other day, "all you ever talk about is injustice against Muslims and Arabs. You are not Arab." (It doesn't matter that I am a religion major focussing on Islam and working toward studies in international relations for the specific purpose of working in Arab nations one day) It is like Americans just don't care.
Summertime Mommy is offline  
Old 03-09-2008, 12:00 PM
 
Jannah6's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: BROOKLYN IN THE HOUSE!!!!
Posts: 2,066
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Summertime Mommy View Post
I think that is the basic idea of most people here. Have you all seen this video? http://muslimmatters.org/2008/02/29/...live/#more-926 It makes me sick the way people act.

Non-muslims don't get it either, or at least not a whole lot of them. DH actually told me the other day, "all you ever talk about is injustice against Muslims and Arabs. You are not Arab." (It doesn't matter that I am a religion major focussing on Islam and working toward studies in international relations for the specific purpose of working in Arab nations one day) It is like Americans just don't care.

I don't consider America "My Country". It's the land where my ancestors were enslaved. I often think that non Anglo America's need to stop being sooo naive. I'm sure if many Americans had it their way, slavery would still exist and they would include many more races.

This footage brought tears to my eyes, but I'm PMSing.

I proudly wear my HIJAB, and WHAT.

: 2:Ma To 6 :12,8,7,5,2,1&
Jannah6 is offline  
Old 03-09-2008, 03:14 PM
 
Mama Aminah's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Henrietta, NY
Posts: 2,567
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Jennifer, I am going to steal some of your siggy!! I love it!! I hope you don't mind!
Mama Aminah is offline  
Old 03-09-2008, 03:18 PM
 
Mama Aminah's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Henrietta, NY
Posts: 2,567
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jannah5 View Post
I don't consider America "My Country". It's the land where my ancestors were enslaved. I often think that non Anglo America's need to stop being sooo naive. I'm sure if many Americans had it their way, slavery would still exist and they would include many more races.

This footage brought tears to my eyes, but I'm PMSing.

I proudly wear my HIJAB, and WHAT.
I do consider this My country. I am a caucasian American. I really don't know where my ancestory originated so many years ago.
Mama Aminah is offline  
Old 03-09-2008, 07:15 PM
 
Shiloh's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: listening to kriping churckets
Posts: 6,680
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Salaam,
I always find the niqab issue interesting....since the most famous niqabi is still Micheal Jackson no one made him take off his niqab.....

http://bp3.blogger.com/_cq0OaiM0pgQ/...kson+niqab.jpg

8 might be enough
Shiloh is offline  
Old 03-09-2008, 07:29 PM
 
Mama Aminah's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Henrietta, NY
Posts: 2,567
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shiloh View Post
Salaam,
I always find the niqab issue interesting....since the most famous niqabi is still Micheal Jackson no one made him take off his niqab.....

http://bp3.blogger.com/_cq0OaiM0pgQ/...kson+niqab.jpg
:
Mama Aminah is offline  
Old 03-10-2008, 02:04 AM
 
msiddiqi's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: Queens, NY
Posts: 757
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jannah5 View Post
LOL, they're still trying. It's not only them, there are quite a few places, Masjids included, that can be chaotic. For instance, Al-Noor school on Eid.

I have 2 children in Noor school, DD 6 3/4, DS 5 1/2. My oldest DS from my first marriage attends Clara Muhammad School(that's a whole long story). So, I have 10,6,5,3, and 6 month old children. 2 girls and 3 boys that drive me, but they're mine and I luv them.

BTW, what's your name?
Hey assalamulaykum Jannah, I just noticed this post about you sending your kids to al-noor. I so far am planning on homeschooling, but this school seems to be the only one i haven't heard bad things about. the moms i know like it a lot. But from a GD/AP perspective, how do you feel about it? I wanted to homeschool because I wasn't ok with the punitive type of discipline most Islamic schools have. Some of the teachers even hit the kids etc.
I just worry about my ability to homeschool my very spirited DS. I have a 4mo DD now as well. But we did start a Muslim homeschooling co-op in Queens/LI.
msiddiqi is offline  
Old 03-10-2008, 02:12 AM
 
msiddiqi's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: Queens, NY
Posts: 757
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
btw, any new york mamas know if there are any islamic montessori schools around here?
msiddiqi is offline  
Old 03-10-2008, 03:18 AM
 
Ammaarah's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2005
Posts: 2,315
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mama Aminah View Post
: How in MY country can this happen????? I thought we had freedom of religion!! Sounds like as long as it isn't our religion.
Horrible, huh? I should point out this happened 14 years ago and there are a lot more hijabis and niqabis here than there used to be - but it still happened and apparently crap like it is still happening.

Shiloh, OMG! Honestly, I can understand Michael veiling too. It's obvious he judges his appearance even more harshly than his worst critics.

Doesn't he spend a lot of time in Bahrain? We had a layover there after we went to Bangladesh. Oh Lord, it is so beautiful! I can't blame Michael for wanting to settle down there in his groovy abaya. Love how he still rocks the white socks/black shoes look with it too.
Ammaarah is offline  
Old 03-10-2008, 11:14 AM
 
umsami's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Location: Capital City
Posts: 9,943
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by msiddiqi View Post
Hey assalamulaykum Jannah, I just noticed this post about you sending your kids to al-noor. I so far am planning on homeschooling, but this school seems to be the only one i haven't heard bad things about. the moms i know like it a lot. But from a GD/AP perspective, how do you feel about it? I wanted to homeschool because I wasn't ok with the punitive type of discipline most Islamic schools have. Some of the teachers even hit the kids etc.
I just worry about my ability to homeschool my very spirited DS. I have a 4mo DD now as well. But we did start a Muslim homeschooling co-op in Queens/LI.
Oh gosh.. .you totally reminded me. They hit my son on the hand at Arabic and Qur'an class for not memorizing his Qur'an. He's FOUR. I was outraged. DH was like... what's the problem?? He told them they could!!!!! :

I've heard good things about Al Noor. My OB sends her kids there too.

Mom to DS(8), DS(6), DD(4), and DS(1).  "Kids do as well as they can."

umsami is offline  
Old 03-10-2008, 11:21 AM
 
umsami's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Location: Capital City
Posts: 9,943
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by msiddiqi View Post
btw, any new york mamas know if there are any islamic montessori schools around here?
I would kill for one.

I've found two or three in the country.

One in Washington (I think). One in a suburb of Detroit. One in North Carolina or South Carolina.

Having said all that, I've been pleased with DS's experience in public universal pre-K. The class is quite diverse. There are a few other Muslim kids. They don't serve pork at all. The pre-k kids eat their meals in their classroom... have their own bathroom... etc. It's very play based. DS adores it.

Mom to DS(8), DS(6), DD(4), and DS(1).  "Kids do as well as they can."

umsami is offline  
Old 03-10-2008, 11:48 AM
 
msiddiqi's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: Queens, NY
Posts: 757
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by umsami View Post
Oh gosh.. .you totally reminded me. They hit my son on the hand at Arabic and Qur'an class for not memorizing his Qur'an. He's FOUR. I was outraged. DH was like... what's the problem?? He told them they could!!!!! :
I'll never understand that. How do you foster love for something with anger and punishment? I want my children to love to Quran, not dread learning it.
I've considered sending him to regular montessori but I guess more than anything I wanted a place to send him that could teach him Quran/Arabic as well - I've heard Al-Noor's Quran program is amazing. But I went on their website and the first thing I came across was a very detailed overview on demerits and the punishments when you get a certain number. It was like 3 pages long. Kind of left a bad taste in my mouth.
Maybe I'm being unfair because I just looked at the North Star School website (they are in CA). They are exactly what I want for DS but alas, my dreams of moving there seem so farfetched.
msiddiqi is offline  
Old 03-11-2008, 09:24 AM - Thread Starter
 
UmmIbrahim's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: USA
Posts: 1,009
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by UmmNadia View Post
assalamu alaikum,
alhamdulillah I run a travel business from home. Please check out my website, book your travel with me, spread the site to others, and ask me about how you can work from home and earn income!
www.emilylowrance.worldventures.com
fi aman'Allah <3
wa salaamu alaikum

sorry sis, we already booked and have tickets on their way. We norm. book through Iranian travel companies as they can get the cheapest tickets to Iran. But, if you can get really cheap tickets to Iran, lemme know, i'll spread the word.

UmmIbrahim is offline  
Old 03-11-2008, 09:28 AM - Thread Starter
 
UmmIbrahim's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: USA
Posts: 1,009
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mama Aminah View Post
Asalamu Alaikum Umm Ibrahim -

You got me in trouble. I think it was you that said we should look at the N&CE forum. You got me started. I am telling you some of those people can really get you : I think I am going to stay away from there!

LOL, yeah I know! ditto! To many of them are proud of their ignorance and stupidity. ah well...
UmmIbrahim is offline  
Old 03-11-2008, 09:30 AM - Thread Starter
 
UmmIbrahim's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: USA
Posts: 1,009
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Oh puh-lease...anytime I get that I blow the person off. It isnt any of their business where Im from, where my parents are from and where my grandparents are from! I don't ask them!

Just recently this really old, weird librarian came up to dh, asked where he was from and launched into a half hour rant about ME policies, i arrived, she blushed and ran off (oh no, more of dem people!)..later dh was gone and I was there alone and she came up wanting to grill me...I was like, lady, im from here...nkay? she's like...from where, I said HERE! and stopped answering her questions. cut her off right away...its NONE of peoples business!

LOL

Quote:
Originally Posted by umsami View Post
That was very interesting... I hadn't seen it. Not surprising at all, sadly. I get the "Where are you from??" question a lot. It goes like this:

Person: So, where are you from?
Me: Michigan.
Person: No... really...where are you from?
Me: Ummm... Michigan. I lived in Florida most of my adult life, though.
Person: Oh...where are your parents from?
Me: Michigan and New York.
Person: <puzzled, confused look> or sometimes I get the "ARe you sure??"
UmmIbrahim is offline  
Old 03-11-2008, 12:28 PM
 
mamefati28's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Behind the Sky
Posts: 541
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Mommas-
My human geography question of the week covers the differences between Sunnis and Shi'ites (sp?). Any of you ladies have any knowledge that probably would not be found easily googled that I could share. The more positive the better, obviously.
TIA!
mamefati28 is offline  
Old 03-11-2008, 12:55 PM
 
umsami's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Location: Capital City
Posts: 9,943
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by mamefati28 View Post
Mommas-
My human geography question of the week covers the differences between Sunnis and Shi'ites (sp?). Any of you ladies have any knowledge that probably would not be found easily googled that I could share. The more positive the better, obviously.
TIA!
Who is your audience??

I honestly think the differences should be viewed as minimal. I think the problem comes when both Sunnis and Shi'ites forget how much Prophet Muhammad (peace be upon him) loved his son-in-law Ali as well as his wife Aisha (may God be pleased with them both). To deny that love and respect for either, seems to go against the Prophet's wishes.

Mom to DS(8), DS(6), DD(4), and DS(1).  "Kids do as well as they can."

umsami is offline  
 
User Tag List

Thread Tools


Forum Jump: 

Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off