Forum Jump: 

#421 of 1560 Old 03-14-2008, 09:07 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mama Aminah View Post
No - there really is a show like this?
yeah and it rocks! Ive only seen 3 episodes though...its on You Tube...but you hafta be in Canada to see the show weekly.
*makes me cry*
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#422 of 1560 Old 03-14-2008, 09:08 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
: You are going to make me go look at thread again aren't you!
ohhh heck yeah!
#423 of 1560 Old 03-14-2008, 09:11 AM - Thread Starter

wa salaam

2 faves for simple yet elegant *and plain-becos I like plain!*...is
Shukronline (fyi their items are worth every dang cent! Can't find better quality clothing anywhere else online-I've looked!) AND
hijabsonline.com
There is alot of choice at both places.

stay far far far far far away from most other US based hijabi places...they ARE garish-sure some people like that, but they neglect the plain, elegant and simple side of scarves.

hope this helps
m'a salaama

Quote:
Originally Posted by Liquesce View Post
As-salaamu 'alaikom~

I know I've asked about buying clothes online before, but what about scarves specifically? Where do you look? I'm looking for things I consider more tasteful and elegant (more like these than these, know what I mean?) but so strong a majority of what I see are pretty heavy on the garish prints, enormous florals which remind me of my grandmother's house dresses, over-the-top sequins and beads, glowingly borderline neons, etc. What am I missing? Do you know any places that are a little better balanced towards non-showy beauty?

(Edit: No offense intended against anyone here who might personally like wearing pink-satin-edged animal prints over their head. 'Sjust not me.)
#424 of 1560 Old 03-14-2008, 09:13 AM

Quote:
As-salaamu 'alaikom~

I know I've asked about buying clothes online before, but what about scarves specifically? Where do you look? I'm looking for things I consider more tasteful and elegant (more like these than these, know what I mean?) but so strong a majority of what I see are pretty heavy on the garish prints, enormous florals which remind me of my grandmother's house dresses, over-the-top sequins and beads, glowingly borderline neons, etc. What am I missing? Do you know any places that are a little better balanced towards non-showy beauty?

(Edit: No offense intended against anyone here who might personally like wearing pink-satin-edged animal prints over their head. 'Sjust not me.)
: I am not quite sure about that pink-satin-edged one either. :

I have never really bought hijabs online for that exact reason. I actually found one of those (that you posted in the first link) at Younkers. If you don't have a Younkers, it is a department store in Michigan. Now that I have moved to NY, they have BonTon here which is a parent company of Younkers so you could look there as well if you have one of those. I will ask a friend who buys scarves and sells them at the masjid which website she uses and get back with ya. HTH.
#425 of 1560 Old 03-14-2008, 10:42 AM

Quote:
As-salaamu 'alaikom~

Assalamu Alaikum:

I've had great luck with www.veiledbydesign.com

I also like www.hijabgirl.com (best prices I've found) and www.almuhajabat.com

Peace.

Mom to DS(8), DS(6), DD(4), and DS(1).  "Kids do as well as they can."

#426 of 1560 Old 03-14-2008, 10:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by UmmIbrahim View Post
Shukronline (fyi their items are worth every dang cent! Can't find better quality clothing anywhere else online-I've looked!) AND
hijabsonline.com
Thanks. Hijabs Online I don't know, but I Shukr, and I'm usually the first to scoff at a high price tag ... I'm just always left wishing they carried a bigger selection of scarves (maybe I'm greedy ). I've been mourning their current end-of-season sale ... not that sales are bad, obviously, just that with being currently pregnant and not knowing what size I'm going to settle at after the baby is born I'd hate to stock up on things I might not fit.
#427 of 1560 Old 03-14-2008, 11:07 AM

Assalamu Alaikum Sisters:

On the cover of the NY Times, there's an article on Barack Obama's Mom. She's wearing hijab... which I hope doesn't fuel more negative press for Obama. Sounds like a very cool lady.

http://www.nytimes.com/2008/03/14/us...hp&oref=slogin

Peace.

#428 of 1560 Old 03-14-2008, 11:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by umsami View Post
Assalamu Alaikum Sisters:

On the cover of the NY Times, there's an article on Barack Obama's Mom. She's wearing hijab... which I hope doesn't fuel more negative press for Obama. Sounds like a very cool lady.

http://www.nytimes.com/2008/03/14/us...hp&oref=slogin

Peace.
Is there a picture in that link of her wearing hijab? I didn't see it.
#429 of 1560 Old 03-14-2008, 11:34 AM

Quote:
Is there a picture in that link of her wearing hijab? I didn't see it.
OOooh... my bad. When I looked at the picture on the top left, I thought her black hair combined with her black shirt was a hijab. Oh well, wishful thinking.

#430 of 1560 Old 03-14-2008, 11:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by UmmIbrahim View Post
wa salaam

hijabsonline.com
There is alot of choice at both places.

stay far far far far far away from most other US based hijabi places...they ARE garish-sure some people like that, but they neglect the plain, elegant and simple side of scarves.

hope this helps
m'a salaama
I was just looking at shukronline. Wow there is some beautiful stuff there! I am trying to resist the temptation!!!
#431 of 1560 Old 03-14-2008, 11:39 AM

Quote:
OOooh... my bad. When I looked at the picture on the top left, I thought her black hair combined with her black shirt was a hijab. Oh well, wishful thinking.
I was wondering if that was what you meant. I kinda thought that at first but when I enlarged the picture, I could see it was just her hair. She seems like a very smart woman.
#432 of 1560 Old 03-14-2008, 11:51 AM

Peeking out of lurk mode for the day. I'm in Turkiye, the land of textiles with every kind of scarf imaginable at my fingertips at the Friday pazar--everything from silk/pashminas to long cotton scarves to silk headscarves to poly blends. Shipping from Turkiye is much cheaper than shipping to Turkiye and I'd be happy to help out some sisters in the US (or wherever). I've been collecting pashminas for a couple of weeks now as gifts for my sisters and nieces when we visit the US (this summer, InshaAllah). Plain pashminas run 5ytl each (a little less than $4, I think) and prints are 7.50 ytl each (around $5, I think). One square meter silk headscarves start around 15ytl and the poly blends can be had for 3 ytl. Maybe I should try selling on the trading post?? LOL

Anyway, I had to come here to toot my own horn, since no one else would care about this (and maybe you all don't either), but I made falafel today! Sooooo not Turkish, but soooooo good! We had falafel, nohutlu pilav (rice with chickpeas), and salad for lunch. It was sooooo yummy that I almost want to do it again, but that was a time-consuming meal. I've only ever had the falafel you get frozen at the store and I made this from scratch, dried chickpeas and all. <patting myself on the back as I go into lurk mode again>
#433 of 1560 Old 03-14-2008, 01:13 PM

Kate, I think you should definately sell some. I know I would probably buy for some. I was just bemoaning the cost of scarves today, 4-5 dollars sounds divine.

On a completely different note, I was thinking ahead a bit today about the idea of my kids and dating. I don't want them to date, but how do you stop them? I feel like if I tell them, no we are Muslim and we don't date, they will just end up going behind my back and doing it anyway becasue all of their friends are doing it. Have any of you thought about this or gone through this? My oldest is only 9 right now, but I would like to have some kind of idea of what to do when the topic comes up.
#434 of 1560 Old 03-14-2008, 01:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Summertime Mommy View Post
On a completely different note, I was thinking ahead a bit today about the idea of my kids and dating. I don't want them to date, but how do you stop them? I feel like if I tell them, no we are Muslim and we don't date, they will just end up going behind my back and doing it anyway becasue all of their friends are doing it. Have any of you thought about this or gone through this? My oldest is only 9 right now, but I would like to have some kind of idea of what to do when the topic comes up.
Assalamu Alaikum:

A good Muslim Mama friend of mine has raised four kids...and none of them have dated at all, not even behind her back as far as I can tell. I think part of it was they always made those limits clear. There never was any... well, we'll see... etc. Both parents were quite firm that dating was not acceptable. They also do not allow their children to sleep over at anybody's home, although their friends can sleep at their house. Both daughters were hijab... which may play a part too...because it does sort of set them apart at their public HS. I think one thing that may help too is to talk about ways that we do find a spouse as Muslims. Who knows... maybe even going through some of the matrimonial sites and talking about what is a good ad/what's a bad ad... what are good characteristics... what isn't really important...etc. Might help.

I know that DH and I have both agreed that we will tell our kids that we will help support them should they want to marry young, rather than have them risk premarital sex. We plan to be very upfront about that... and say... if it gets too hard to resist, come to us, and Insha'Allah we will work together as a family to find a spouse, etc.

#435 of 1560 Old 03-14-2008, 01:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Turkish Kate View Post
Anyway, I had to come here to toot my own horn, since no one else would care about this (and maybe you all don't either), but I made falafel today! Sooooo not Turkish, but soooooo good! We had falafel, nohutlu pilav (rice with chickpeas), and salad for lunch. It was sooooo yummy that I almost want to do it again, but that was a time-consuming meal. I've only ever had the falafel you get frozen at the store and I made this from scratch, dried chickpeas and all. <patting myself on the back as I go into lurk mode again>
Congrats on your falafel!! I've made it a few times. It seems to be hit or miss for me... sometimes the batter/dough/whatever falls apart in the oil. (Still is yummy, though.) A good friend told me to add chickpea flour should that ever happen again, so that's my plan for next time.

Kate...Are there any turkish cookbooks in English that you'd recommend? I made a yummy bulgur pilaf last week from a recipe on a Turkish blog.. and would like to try more turkish recipes.

#436 of 1560 Old 03-14-2008, 01:42 PM

Quote:
I have never really bought hijabs online for that exact reason. I actually found one of those (that you posted in the first link) at Younkers. If you don't have a Younkers, it is a department store in Michigan. Now that I have moved to NY, they have BonTon here which is a parent company of Younkers so you could look there as well if you have one of those. I will ask a friend who buys scarves and sells them at the masjid which website she uses and get back with ya.
Thanks. And yeah, I really prefer local shopping too, but especially with everyone selling their spring clothes at the moment decent scarves are a little hard to come by in department stores around here -- most of what I see right now are just a few inches wide or are super-sheer/short: not really great for wrapping. I've had some luck at the local branch of Ten Thousand Villages, though I'm near their main branch so I don't know if others carry quite as much ... they do have a few online. Usually better for winter-weight fabrics. (Sometimes they can be a bit pricey though ... such as I was in love with an amazingly embroidered scarf they once had, but at $80 there was absolutely no way I could bring myself to buy it.)

Quote:
I've had great luck with www.veiledbydesign.com I also like www.hijabgirl.com (best prices I've found) and www.almuhajabat.com
Thank you. By just a quick browse I definitely see a few things that fall into a category I would call "tasteful."
#437 of 1560 Old 03-14-2008, 01:52 PM

Quote:
Peeking out of lurk mode for the day. I'm in Turkiye, the land of textiles with every kind of scarf imaginable at my fingertips at the Friday pazar--everything from silk/pashminas to long cotton scarves to silk headscarves to poly blends. Shipping from Turkiye is much cheaper than shipping to Turkiye and I'd be happy to help out some sisters in the US (or wherever). I've been collecting pashminas for a couple of weeks now as gifts for my sisters and nieces when we visit the US (this summer, InshaAllah). Plain pashminas run 5ytl each (a little less than $4, I think) and prints are 7.50 ytl each (around $5, I think). One square meter silk headscarves start around 15ytl and the poly blends can be had for 3 ytl. Maybe I should try selling on the trading post?? LOL

Congratulations on the falafel!! : I would never even attempt that one.

Thanks for the offer to ship some scarves. That is really nice of you. I have been wanting a plain offwhite pashminas. Do you know about how long and wide the ones are that you found. I like them pretty wide and long since I am a bit wider myself. They seem to fit me nicer.
#438 of 1560 Old 03-14-2008, 01:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Summertime Mommy View Post
Well, we have raised one teenager through high school and have another one in high school (both boys). I have to say it was tough. In our home dating is not an option. It is not what Islam teaches us so it is not something that is acceptable. With that being said, our son did go behind our back and have a date to prom. : Allah is so Good that he was running late and his "date" called and asked for him. I asked, "are you his date?" and she said yes! Needless to say, this was very hard for us to take. Number 1 - he lied - Number 2 - he lied - and number 3 - he went behind our back and did something like this. Insha-Allah the deed is on him - not us. He was old enough to know better.

I feel that we must teach our children what is right and wrong in our religion. I understand that we don't want them going behind our backs and doing things so we must reiterate to them that Allah knows all and is watching all. If they do something against Islam, the deed is on them, if we teach them that dating is okay and they do it, the deed is on us. YKWIM? Even though I was in a situation where a child went behind our back and did something like this, I will continue to teach my children that it is not right. Hope that all made sense!
#439 of 1560 Old 03-14-2008, 02:04 PM

Quote:
Assalamu Alaikum:
I know that DH and I have both agreed that we will tell our kids that we will help support them should they want to marry young, rather than have them risk premarital sex. We plan to be very upfront about that... and say... if it gets too hard to resist, come to us, and Insha'Allah we will work together as a family to find a spouse, etc.
I agree 100%. To add to the post I made earlier about my son (who is now in college), we have an open dialogue about marriage with him. He wants to go to Med school and doesn't want to get married until after he is done. We have found a nice girl (in another country ) that he has been talking to via email to see if she could possibly be a choice for marriage. If she is, he may get married when he starts his residency. I hope it is earlier than later. He is such a good looking young man and I really worry about him.
#440 of 1560 Old 03-14-2008, 02:31 PM

I took a couple of pictures of the two pashminas I bought today. I have no idea on shipping, though. I could send via air mail cheaper or UPS a bit more. I'll have to get some estimates if there's real interest and then list a few on the trading post.

The only Turkish cookbook I have that is available outside of Turkiye is Sultan's Kitchen, but I think it makes preparation much harder than it has to be. I use it as a guide but simplify things as much as possible. I have another cookbook that's published by the Turkish Tourism Ministry that has most of the same recipes, only much *much* simpler. Mostly I've learned just from eating out and from my friends.
#441 of 1560 Old 03-14-2008, 02:36 PM

Quote:
I took a couple of pictures of the two pashminas I bought today. I have no idea on shipping, though. I could send via air mail cheaper or UPS a bit more. I'll have to get some estimates if there's real interest and then list a few on the trading post.
Okay I am in LOVE with the Turquoise one!!! I would love that one!! I would also love a plain off white one if that is possible. My zip code is 14467. Could you let me know how much shipping would be. Thanks so much!
#442 of 1560 Old 03-14-2008, 02:44 PM

Quote:
Okay I am in LOVE with the Turquoise one!!! I would love that one!!
I was just about to post exactly the same thing. That is really gorgeous.
#443 of 1560 Old 03-14-2008, 03:38 PM

Quote:
As-salaamu 'alaikom~

If you're an ebayer, like I am, try there.

: 2:Ma To 6 :12,8,7,5,2,1&
#444 of 1560 Old 03-14-2008, 04:17 PM

Sorry to tease you ladies with the turquoise one. That's a gift for my niece. I've been trying to figure out shipping costs and the only shipper that I can access the website is UPS with an estimate of $71!!!!!!! For a 100gram evelope!!!!! Holy cow!!!! I think maybe it would be better if I collect a few and then pass them on when we visit next (InshaAllah).

Anybody with shipping connections with a better idea?
#445 of 1560 Old 03-14-2008, 05:04 PM

Quote:
Sorry to tease you ladies with the turquoise one. That's a gift for my niece. I've been trying to figure out shipping costs and the only shipper that I can access the website is UPS with an estimate of $71!!!!!!! For a 100gram evelope!!!!! Holy cow!!!! I think maybe it would be better if I collect a few and then pass them on when we visit next (InshaAllah).

Anybody with shipping connections with a better idea?
I really loved that one. Oh well. I hope your niece enjoys!! and : about the shipping costs!! I don't know the least little bit about shipping so I will : to see if anyone has any ideas.
#446 of 1560 Old 03-14-2008, 07:33 PM

Quote:
well start with the truth...
its a waste of your time
young boys are not worth wating time or energy on...

and talk to them about what is actually going on with their peers..
if they think its a taboo subject they will just exclude you period.

also the thing we think our parents don't want us doing we usually end up doing the most of....I tease my vegan friend his kids will eat meat just to rebel

8 might be enough
#447 of 1560 Old 03-15-2008, 10:06 PM

Quote:
I think maybe it would be better if I collect a few and then pass them on when we visit next (InshaAllah).
Unfortunately that's what we usually do between the U.S. and Egypt as well -- just wait on someone traveling to carry whatever it is across in hand. It works out well except for the poor traveler -- I can not count the number of times I've seen people leaving one side or another with entire extra suitcases full of "essentials" that could just as easily be bought on the other side.
#448 of 1560 Old 03-16-2008, 10:46 PM - Thread Starter

When I go to Iran I *always* bring back stuff to resell...I tried to start a web business and it didnt go that great, and wasnt worth it...esp figuring in the price of having my bro-in-law ship a huge box o' stuff from Iran...and its not like he could get them at a wholesale rate anyway (long story) so I barely cut even.
Top it off, people are CHEAP! They don' wanna pay $10 for something thats good quality and hard to find here becos "back home" its $1...um, yeah right. Not the stuff I was selling and even in Iran the scarves arent $1 (not usually) more like $5-$6.
harumph.
But, I promised several friends id bring stuff back...so i'll probably bring back even more and spend my summer selling it off somehow. LOL

fyi, if anyone is a size 12 and under and looking for Iranian manteaus...lemme know...they are really cute looking, not too expensive...i was curious wether there would be any interest in those

#449 of 1560 Old 03-16-2008, 10:47 PM - Thread Starter

random link...
I made this website awhile ago...just refound it *hehehehe* ...I LOVE the abu haleeqa dubai abayahs...sigh, maybe some day!

http://doaa25.tripod.com/index.html
#450 of 1560 Old 03-19-2008, 06:38 PM

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

i was dead
i came alive
i was tears
i became laughter

all because of love
when it arrived
my temporal life
from then on
changed to eternal

love said to me
you are not
crazy enough
you don't
fit this house

i went and
became crazy
crazy enough
to be in chains

love said
you are not
intoxicated enough
you don't
fit the group

i went and
got drunk
drunk enough
to overflow
with light-headedness

love said
you are still
too clever
filled with
imagination and skepticism

i went and
became gullible
and in fright
pulled away
from it all

love said
you are a candle
attracting everyone
gathering every one
around you

i am no more
a candle spreading light
i gather no more crowds
and like smoke
i am all scattered now

love said
you are a teacher
you are a head
and for everyone
you are a leader

i am no more
not a teacher
not a leader
just a servant
to your wishes

love said
you already have
your own wings
i will not give you
more feathers

and then my heart
pulled itself apart
and filled to the brim
with a new light
overflowed with fresh life

now when the heavens
are thankful that
because of love
i have become
the giver of light

-- Ghazal 1393
Translation by Nader Khalili,
"Rumi, Fountain of Fire"
Cal-Earth Press, 1994

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page