Muslim Mamas tribe - Page 21 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#601 of 1560 Old 05-13-2008, 11:17 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Assalamu Alaikum:

I love Time Out Kids. My Mom bought me a subscription last year... and I sort of live vicariously as I read it. Haven't done much though.

Oh... just in case you all didn't know, Al Hediya is in their last days. I think they'll be out of business in less than 5 days. I bought my first hijabs and abayas from them... so they'll always have a sweet spot in my heart.

Also, Shukr is having a mondo clearance sale. Everything is $29.95.

Not sure if any of you NYC area Mamas are interested, but we're vacating our 3 bedroom in Bensonhurst at the end of June. It's near the Muslim Youth Center, a few parks, the D/M lines, etc. Has a small cement wasteland (courtyard). If anybody's interested, PM me.

Peace.

Mom to DS(8), DS(6), DD(4), and DS(1).  "Kids do as well as they can."

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#602 of 1560 Old 05-14-2008, 12:28 PM

Umsami, does that mean you'll be going back to Jax? Oooooh . . . . can't wait to see you! I'm so jealous of all the stuff that goes on in NY. What are our options in FL?

Milk siblings, DS has one (sort of). I nursed our neighbor's DD once when our LOs were newborns. Her nipples were in awful shape and I gave her a break for that session. Not an issue. From what I understand from hadith, though, it takes more than one nursing to make a true milk sibling, so he can still marry her if he wants to.
#603 of 1560 Old 05-14-2008, 02:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Turkish Kate View Post
Umsami, does that mean you'll be going back to Jax? Oooooh . . . . can't wait to see you! I'm so jealous of all the stuff that goes on in NY. What are our options in FL?l
Yup Insha'Allah, we'll be moving down around July 1st. My boys are going to stay with my folks in Michigan while we move, and then I'll go get them in mid-July. I have to get my mind around the JAX School year starting so early vs. NY where it's an after Labor Day start.

I always used to pick up the free Jacksonville paper (can't think of the name of it) that told what was going on. There's also one for parents/families that I've seen. Insha'Allah, things won't be so bad!

#604 of 1560 Old 05-14-2008, 05:17 PM

Assalamu Alaikum:

Here's a video on Queen Elizabeth II visiting a mosque in Turkey. She's wearing hijab... and Alhamdullilah, she really looks quite beautiful. Of course, nobody is going to start a rumor that she's a secret Muslim. Well... at least I think they won't!

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/uk_news/7401599.stm

Peace
Umsami

#605 of 1560 Old 05-15-2008, 04:13 AM

I recall there being some rumors about Diana being a secret Muslim around the time that she and Dodi were killed. Not so far a stretch, maybe.
#606 of 1560 Old 05-15-2008, 03:30 PM

Desert Rose,

Not culture shock but the differences my husband and I have with regards to culture and upbringing have been a major issue in our marriage from the beginning. We have almost divorced over it at times when it has been regarding the welfare of our children (some things he has tried to do and believes regarding children are considered abuse in my country). Yes, culture differences can be positive but if one culture is not respected or welcomed in the marriage it will be hard to have a positive experience with it. Both partners have to be open to the others culture and should not expect that marrying someone changes them to their culture (eg syrian + canadian = 100% syrian couple....It should be syrian + canadian = syrian and canadian). Both cultures should be respected and welcomed and I am glad that is the case for you but sadly it is not the case for everyone in a multicultural marriage.
#607 of 1560 Old 05-16-2008, 01:23 PM

Sorry Veronica Lynn for coming across as dismissive, I really have to master using emoticons!

You are really right that these marriages only work when both partners have a genuine respect for other spouse's cultural upbringing. I had issues because my husband's mother wanted me to "forget" my Pakistani-American upbringing and become the ideal Arab wife and at one time asked my husband to divorce me over this issue, but al hamdulillah she has learned over time to trust me. My husband deals with cultural differences by emphasising our common Islam-- we resolve issues by seeing what's the religious recommendation.
#608 of 1560 Old 05-16-2008, 11:23 PM

Desert Rose,

It is ok You know, I had that ideal too (about using islam in marriage also) when I married. Actually, I still do. I am constantly showing my husband islamic rulings and hadiths. Your MIL sounds like my husband....my husband is also arabic and he seems to expect that since he has married me I have turned arabic and am not Canadian anymore. It doesnt help that i am revert to islam and dont have a "muslim" background to begin with. I tried to get him to go to islamic counseling with me but he refused. He is a good man but sometimes he doesnt seem to follow islamic rulings or more accurately chooses which part to follow kwim? Maybe I am a bit sensitive too
#609 of 1560 Old 05-17-2008, 10:27 PM

hello sisters , how are you doing? I am great alhumdallah! I am a Muslimah upon the Salafi Manhaj, alhumdallah if you don't know what that is it means a Muslim who follows the Quran and Sunnah and the Salaf's(pious predecessors). I am 21 and have a baby boy who was born Sept.12.2007. Anywas i was raised in Seattle all my life and started getting on my deen two years ago alhumdallah. I am a niqabi, proud of it and loving it!!! I been wearing it for 2yrs. Anywas i like to read islamic books, and textbooks(i am in school). I don't listen to music or watch t.v . My hobbies are studying Islam, cooking, and spending time with my family, oh yeah how can i 4get!! being on mother forums.
#610 of 1560 Old 05-17-2008, 10:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Diamond08 View Post
hello sisters , how are you doing? I am great alhumdallah! I am a Muslimah upon the Salafi Manhaj, alhumdallah if you don't know what that is it means a Muslim who follows the Quran and Sunnah and the Salaf's(pious predecessors). I am 21 and have a baby boy who was born Sept.12.2007. Anywas i was raised in Seattle all my life and started getting on my deen two years ago alhumdallah. I am a niqabi, proud of it and loving it!!! I been wearing it for 2yrs. Anywas i like to read islamic books, and textbooks(i am in school). I don't listen to music or watch t.v . My hobbies are studying Islam, cooking, and spending time with my family, oh yeah how can i 4get!! being on mother forums.
Wa'alaikum Assalam wa Rahmatullah wa Barakatuh Diamond08:

There's another Salafi sister (at least I think she's Salafi) on these boards... although I haven't seen her posting in a while. Her name is Nabbe and she's from Norway.

Congratulations on your little boy. I'm sure he keeps you quite busy with school too!

#611 of 1560 Old 05-18-2008, 12:57 AM

Assalamu Alaikum:

The Christian Science Monitor has a big feature on the Gallup poll on Muslims. It's not totally comprehensive (I'll have to buy Eposito's book), but still good. I'm going to send the link to my slightly Islamophobic parents.

http://www.csmonitor.com/2008/0517/p12s01-wogi.html

Peace.

#612 of 1560 Old 05-18-2008, 07:44 AM

I've breastfeed my friends kids a couple times (not enough to make a "milk sibling" though). Once a brother was visiting my husband with his baby and the mother was at work. This baby refused bottles and won't sleep without breast so he's like , "sister?" lol I was like oh, erm...ugh...ok and took him to the room. Sure enough he fell asleep in just a minute! I've tryed nursing him again with his mom near by and he didn't go for that (had to be mom, I'm only a last resort. lol).

Another sister called me up asking me to baby sit because her youngest won't take a bottle and sometimes needs me to watch her. I haven't nursed her child, but basically that's what she asked me to do when she does come. Her regular babysitter won't watch the child because she'll just cry w/o breastmilk.
#613 of 1560 Old 05-20-2008, 10:46 AM

Assalamu Alaikum:

Just thought I'd share that Noor Art is now offering Scholastic's Arabic Library on their website. Looks really good. Too bad my DH isn't involved in teaching our kids Arabic.

http://www.noorart.com/Arabic-Scholastic

Peace,
Karla

#614 of 1560 Old 05-20-2008, 11:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by umsami View Post
Assalamu Alaikum:

Just thought I'd share that Noor Art is now offering Scholastic's Arabic Library on their website. Looks really good. Too bad my DH isn't involved in teaching our kids Arabic.

http://www.noorart.com/Arabic-Scholastic

Peace,
Karla

Walaikum AsSalaam, BAK

NO WAY Karla, your DH is not teaching DC Arabic. I remember when I tried to get my DH to teach DD1 Albanian. It was a lost cause:, whatever she knew came from me. I got so fed up with him that I instituted a penalty. Everytime he spoke English to her, he'd owe her a quarter. I think he reached $10,000 IN ONE DAY, so I just gave up.

Karla, is there anyway that you can stress to your DH how Islamically beneficial it would be for your DC to know Arabic? I'm trying to think about something for my DC during the summer months that they are out of school. Your DC don't have to look beyond their own home. Please make him see the lightThis Is Me Pleading)

: 2:Ma To 6 :12,8,7,5,2,1&
#615 of 1560 Old 05-20-2008, 11:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jannah5 View Post
Walaikum AsSalaam, BAK

NO WAY Karla, your DH is not teaching DC Arabic. I remember when I tried to get my DH to teach DD1 Albanian. It was a lost cause:, whatever she knew came from me. I got so fed up with him that I instituted a penalty. Everytime he spoke English to her, he'd owe her a quarter. I think he reached $10,000 IN ONE DAY, so I just gave up.

Karla, is there anyway that you can stress to your DH how Islamically beneficial it would be for your DC to know Arabic? I'm trying to think about something for my DC during the summer months that they are out of school. Your DC don't have to look beyond their own home. Please make him see the lightThis Is Me Pleading)
Assalamu Alaikum:

It's been an issue in our house for the past 4-1/2 years. I beg with DH to just speak Arabic to the kids... and he doesn't... .or he'll do it for like 5 minutes. It's so frustrating. He says..."Well, why don't you learn ARabic and then you teach the kids Arabic?" : (Gee, maybe the NATIVE speaker might do a better job???!)

Thing is, he's all annoyed that when we go to Egypt our kids don't really interact with his family because they can't communicate.

I do take the eldest to ARabic at the youth center...but it's uber basic. Heck, even I know more. (One letter every few weeks.)

I like the idea of the quarter penalty, though.

I actually posted a thread in the multicultural forum and found out I'm not alone.

I think that we're going to have to move to Egypt or the UAE for a few years and I'll just shove the kids in local schools. They'll be miserable, but hopefully can pick up some Arabic.

Peace.

#616 of 1560 Old 05-20-2008, 11:54 AM

You're so funny.

Just one thing, PLEZZZZZ don't send them to public school in Egypt. I've heard it's pretty brutal. DH friend said the work load is crazy and ALOT of the children are kind of rough.

#617 of 1560 Old 05-20-2008, 12:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jannah5 View Post
You're so funny.

Just one thing, PLEZZZZZ don't send them to public school in Egypt. I've heard it's pretty brutal. DH friend said the work load is crazy and ALOT of the children are kind of rough.
I'm sure DH's family wouldn't let that happen. They'd end in some private language school, I'm sure. Thing is, I've heard from some Egyptian Mamas I know that the schools are so intent in teaching English, that a lot of times the kids don't learn much Arabic. I can also see DH's family saying... "Well, this will be easier on the kids...." but I really think they need Arabic immersion!

We have no plans to move anytime soon, so my kids will continue to be the only ones of DH's friends' kids who speak no Arabic.

#618 of 1560 Old 05-20-2008, 12:16 PM

Karla.

None of my DH 11 nieces or nephews speak Albanian. A few of them can understand it, but that's it. It's a shame that the language will be lost among his close family.

DH brother adopted a little girl from Albanian 2 years ago, even she has forgotten the language. They were so intent on her learning English and my BIL wife is American, but she was all for the little girl retaining her Albanian. Funny thing is, BIL wife is the one who throws around Albanian words, not my BIL who is the fluent one. Sort of what I did with DD1, but I just didn't continue.

Mahira:How was Boston??? Hope you guys had a good time. On Saturday DC and I went to a kite festival in the park across from Mamalus, we had a BLAST.

#619 of 1560 Old 05-20-2008, 03:52 PM

The ideal thing is to learn enough arabic to at least be able to use it conversationally at home part-time yourself. It's harder than you think trying to keep up in what amounts to a "private language" ... one parent/one language sounds great on paper but I've seen it fail miserably too many times when the parents can only communicate in one of the given languages themselves. The native speaker will teach it better, absolutely, but they teach it best when they're not alone in switching back and forth.
#620 of 1560 Old 05-20-2008, 04:37 PM

You're right Liquesce. Thing is DH is so non-supportive. I've tried to sign up for Arabic courses many times over the past five years, but DH has never been willing to watch the kids so I could go. I've found and bought a bunch of standard Arabic stuff... but just as I get going, he starts saying that nobody will understand me in Egypt because it's not Egyptian dialogue or they will make fun of me. So, I plunked down $200 for Pimsleur's Egyptian Arabic course and he was like... "No no... nobody says that... or that's very low class, you should say this..." It was so discouraging, that I basically stopped and sold it on eBay.

I do have an AUC Egyptian Arabic thing I could dust-off. But honestly, I feel like everything I try is automatically wrong.

#621 of 1560 Old 05-23-2008, 01:31 AM

Assalamu Alaikum:

PBS's Religion and Ethics Newsweekly had a piece on Muslim Televangelists last week. They mentioned Amr Khaled, but also a young Egyptian Moez Masoud who speaks excellent English. (Yes, that's a big plus with me. )

Here's the piece in case you're interested:
http://www.pbs.org/wnet/religionande...7/feature.html

Here's a speech by Moez Masoud on youtube in English... so, if you can't make it to Jummah prayer, maybe this will at least give you some spiritual nourishment for the week.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T8i29DSfREA

Here's part one of a show he has on women in Islam...
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z2Oi3...eature=related

EDIT: OK, never mind. I watched his show and he's talking all about how women are better secretaries because we're wired to do repetitive tasks. We like cleaning, men would go crazy if they had to do that. : : So much for my high hopes.

Peace.

#622 of 1560 Old 05-23-2008, 08:57 AM

Umm Sami, I totally applaud your repeated efforts with the Arabic. MashaAllah. my dh's family reacted similarly--oh, but the Arabic you'll learn in class isn't same as the "real" arabic we speak everyday, but you have to learn to tune them out and just learn the Classical or Modern Standard Arabic because all the "real" Arabic dialects are based on it! the best part is that we have traveled to places like Morocco where the local Arabic dialect is incomprehensible to those not from the area, but managed to communicate fine because the Moroccan and me (or my husband) both understood the Classical Arabic "that no one speaks in real life".

I found this on another forum I frequent, ummah.com:

http://www.ummah.com/forum/showthread.php?t=171649

It's tips on how to teach your kids Arabic while living outside an Arab country.
#623 of 1560 Old 05-23-2008, 09:34 AM

Quote:
You're right Liquesce. Thing is DH is so non-supportive. I've tried to sign up for Arabic courses many times over the past five years, but DH has never been willing to watch the kids so I could go. I've found and bought a bunch of standard Arabic stuff... but just as I get going, he starts saying that nobody will understand me in Egypt because it's not Egyptian dialogue or they will make fun of me. So, I plunked down $200 for Pimsleur's Egyptian Arabic course and he was like... "No no... nobody says that... or that's very low class, you should say this..." It was so discouraging, that I basically stopped and sold it on eBay.

I do have an AUC Egyptian Arabic thing I could dust-off. But honestly, I feel like everything I try is automatically wrong.

#624 of 1560 Old 05-23-2008, 09:38 AM

Every once in a while I feel like I'm going to explode. These are the times when I ask DH for a day to myself. Today is one of those days:, and it's not even 9am!!!

#625 of 1560 Old 05-23-2008, 01:01 PM

Quote:

I'm sorry your husband isn't helping you with that.

FWIW, I'd suggest sticking with the independent-learning standard Arabic materials. People in Egypt do understand it for the most part, and while he may think people will make fun of you for speaking differently he is underestimating the degree to which many, probably most, Egyptians are delighted to hear foreign people even just trying with simple words, let alone holding entire conversations. Kids definitely make fun of kids for speaking differently (my sister-in-law's step-son, for example, catches some flack for his Saudi Arabic coming off of a Russian early upbringing). But adults mostly just coo over you and try to show you off.

Not to mention the Egyptian dialect is SO much easier to start to pick up once you have a base in something a little less slangy. And IMO the small confusions caused by not having the Egyptian dialect down are more than made up for by having something that allows more access to classical materials.

While the criticisms in the reviews are probably fair, for my learning style at least these course materials worked out well. (Although at the price it would be nice if the tapes came with the book. If you're a little less independent-learning minded I've heard some good things about the Sunnipath Arabic courses, although obviously I would expect them to be a little more religious-text-reading oriented than everyday-conversation-holding.
#626 of 1560 Old 05-24-2008, 11:24 PM - Thread Starter

If ya'll do a search for "Muslim" a mama has a thread w/ questions about Islam..i'd reply but we're watching a film...

en'shallah someone can reply to her.
#627 of 1560 Old 05-24-2008, 11:27 PM - Thread Starter

It's expensive...BUT
Rosetta Stones
ROCKS AND IS TOTALLY INCREDIBLE!!!

I had it to advance my farsi-becos over here I prefer to use English so I'm always forgetting...and oh my goodness...it seriously works!!! It's a bit tedious but it really really works...we have a sampler of theirs too and dh and I tried their Arabic one-becos we;ve both studied Arabic...and it's for basic Arabic too!!

try it!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Desert Rose View Post
Umm Sami, I totally applaud your repeated efforts with the Arabic. MashaAllah. my dh's family reacted similarly--oh, but the Arabic you'll learn in class isn't same as the "real" arabic we speak everyday, but you have to learn to tune them out and just learn the Classical or Modern Standard Arabic because all the "real" Arabic dialects are based on it! the best part is that we have traveled to places like Morocco where the local Arabic dialect is incomprehensible to those not from the area, but managed to communicate fine because the Moroccan and me (or my husband) both understood the Classical Arabic "that no one speaks in real life".

I found this on another forum I frequent, ummah.com:

http://www.ummah.com/forum/showthread.php?t=171649

It's tips on how to teach your kids Arabic while living outside an Arab country.
#628 of 1560 Old 05-28-2008, 02:48 PM

salaam,
just got back from egypt Monday night (holy jet lag ...
we too are searching for a way for the boys to learn arabic properly...
and maybe inshallah dh will get a job in the gulf in a year or so when he's done his master's....

8 might be enough
#629 of 1560 Old 05-28-2008, 10:54 PM

Assalamu Alaikum:

So, there's a cool series on the BBC called "Women in Black." You can download and view it if you're in the UK. Otherwise, you can catch some clips on Youtube.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tiHzMhxVzXU

I'd love to see more!

Peace

#630 of 1560 Old 05-28-2008, 11:16 PM

Quote:
there's a cool series on the BBC called "Women in Black."
I've not seen them so I don't know if it's fair, but I have been reading the criticism of the series on this blog.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page