Muslim Mamas tribe - Page 3 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#61 of 1560 Old 10-12-2007, 07:57 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
After being without internet access for over a month after moving, I just found this thread!

Let me be the first to say Eid Mubarek, Iyi Bayramlar, Seker Bayraminiz Kutlu Olsun, and Happy Holiday!

Back later, hoping to contribute a bit more to the conversation. Wish I was closer to you, Bliss Monkey. I'm not a Deadie, but definitely a crunchy-granola-eating-tree-hugging-hippie-Muslim! And I'm not the only one!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#62 of 1560 Old 10-13-2007, 01:42 AM

Thinking of all you mommas...many blessings to you and yours
Eid Mubarek......
GOD IS LOVE!
#63 of 1560 Old 10-17-2007, 10:09 AM

Asalamu Alaikum -

I pray that everyone had a blessed Eid! I went to prayer and, may Allah forgive me, spent a portion of it crying because I wasn't with all of my Sisters celebrating in Michigan. I moved to New York on Thursday. It just wasn't the same being in a new community. I know I will get to know people here but it was hard being new on such a special day. The Imam said at the end of his khutba, "Today is a day of celebration, so let's go celebrate." Then I started to cry. I was just feeling emotional I suppose. So we went to IHOP for breakfast and then spent the rest of the day cleaning out my husband's apartment and bringing all the junk to our new house. So much for celebration. On a more positive side, Alhamdulilah that my dd and I are back with her daddy after being seperated (because of his job) for a few months. It really does feel so nice to finally start settling into our new home.

The movers came and brought our furnishings on Monday and now I have aLOT of work ahead of me trying to unpack. Insha-Allah, it will all get done. The kitchen is completely unpacked and I even mopped the kitchen floor!! Yeah me!!

Last night I called a Sister from the masjid. They have a hospitality committee that helps welcome new comers to the area. Insha-Allah, I will be able to meet some people that way. I was the women's coordinator at my old Masjid so am feeling a bit lost without that sense of community. Insha-Allah, I know Allah brought us here for a reason and I am going to try my hardest to be part of the community.

Thanks for letting me get out some feelings here. I miss my sisterhood!!
#64 of 1560 Old 10-18-2007, 11:19 PM

Thinking of you Mame Aminah.
It will all turn out ok, just will take some time to adjust. NY will be a great place to find others in the community.
I love your name- it was my husbands grandmothers name- she was so amazing, she passed a couple of years ago when she was in her 100's.
Keep us updated on your transition.
Jam ak hewal-
Peace and Blessings
#65 of 1560 Old 10-19-2007, 07:02 PM

Thank you Mamefati -

Alhamdulilah, things are going well. I went for Jummah prayer today and it felt good to be around other Muslims. I met a couple of converts. They are a bit older than me so not really people I will hang out with but friends nonetheless.

We picked the name Aminah for our little girl because it is my husband's mom's name. The name truly fits her, Masha-Allah.

Let's have a new question to get things going here:

How many of you breastfed your children and at what age did you stop or plan to stop?
#66 of 1560 Old 10-19-2007, 07:51 PM

Salaam aleikum

I breastfeed all my children, and I let them vean themselves off. My oldest was 2,5 my second was 4,5 and my youngest was 16 months (HER choice, i was as shocked as my mom was hehe).

I tandemnursed number one and two, and I breastfeed number two well intoo my third pregnancy.

Man did I take much crap for that from "sisters" and muslim family. My nonmuslim family did not have any issues with extended breastfeeding.

Mother of three little muslims!
#67 of 1560 Old 10-19-2007, 07:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mama Aminah View Post

How many of you breastfed your children and at what age did you stop or plan to stop?
Assalaamu alaykum sisters,

My daughter is 25 months now and I'm weaning her gently. I am ready to TTC again and I think I will need Clomid to conceive. While I know it's probably OK while nursing a toddler, I'm not comfortable with it because of my own hormonal problems. So inshaAllah I would like to have her fully weaned in about 6 weeks or so. Alhamdulillah, I'm glad she's gotten the full two years so far and will get a little bonus too. It's been amazing!

My DH's Muslim family in Bangladesh were shocked I didn't bottlefeed the baby (in addition to breastfeeding.) They don't think breastmilk is enough after a few months. : MashaAllah, they're great people but this did drive me pretty nuts!
#68 of 1560 Old 10-19-2007, 11:13 PM

I still BF my 14 month old and plan to do so until the times comes for it to be finished. I do not know when that will be and I trust that it will be when it is supposed to.
In my husbands country most women go until the baby is 2.
I myself nursed until I was about 3.
My DS loves to nurse, I dont see it letting up to soon!!!
And besides, people always have something to say!!!!
Peace Sisters
Mama Aminah- go ahead and make friends with the elders!!!
#69 of 1560 Old 10-20-2007, 10:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nabbe View Post
Man did I take much crap for that from "sisters" and muslim family. My nonmuslim family did not have any issues with extended breastfeeding.
See this is exactly why I asked the question. I feel like the only Muslim who has gone beyond 2 years. Before Aminah was born, I thought that I would nurse her until she turned 2 and I would stop. Yeah, now she is 28 months and I see no end in sight. I am okay with this but my very close Muslim friends (the only ones that really know about it) make comments about it. I just brush them off but I was just wondering what some other, like minded AP Muslim parents were doing.
#70 of 1560 Old 10-20-2007, 10:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ammaarah View Post
Assalaamu alaykum sisters,

My daughter is 25 months now and I'm weaning her gently. I am ready to TTC again and I think I will need Clomid to conceive. While I know it's probably OK while nursing a toddler, I'm not comfortable with it because of my own hormonal problems. So inshaAllah I would like to have her fully weaned in about 6 weeks or so. Alhamdulillah, I'm glad she's gotten the full two years so far and will get a little bonus too. It's been amazing!

My DH's Muslim family in Bangladesh were shocked I didn't bottlefeed the baby (in addition to breastfeeding.) They don't think breastmilk is enough after a few months. : MashaAllah, they're great people but this did drive me pretty nuts!
Ammaarah, Good luck with the gentle weaning. May Allah reward you for giving your child the very best start.

It is funny that you talk of your DH's family because my DH's family and friends from Nigeria were similar. They were so amazed that Aminah was exclusively breastfed. They didn't think Americans did this. : My MIL was even shocked when I was still nursing Aminah at 2. But Alhamdulilah that as parents we can make our own choices!
#71 of 1560 Old 10-20-2007, 10:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mamefati28 View Post
I still BF my 14 month old and plan to do so until the times comes for it to be finished. I do not know when that will be and I trust that it will be when it is supposed to.
In my husbands country most women go until the baby is 2.
I myself nursed until I was about 3.
My DS loves to nurse, I dont see it letting up to soon!!!
And besides, people always have something to say!!!!
Peace Sisters
Mama Aminah- go ahead and make friends with the elders!!!
My DD likewise LOVES to nurse. I have gently cut it back a little. So now she basically only nurses to nap and to sleep at night and once at about 6am or so to go back to sleep for a couple hours. If she is really tired or having a boring day or something like this, she may ask during the day and depending on what I am doing or how hard she persists, I may let her nurse. I am very happy with how things are going now. Alhamdulilah.

BTW about your comments about making friends with the elders! I will, Insha-Allah.
#72 of 1560 Old 10-20-2007, 12:52 PM

I feel that maybe the remarks about EBF or extended BF that some of the sisters are getting have more to do with culture than Religion.
Islam gets so many things piled on top of it that are not Islamic, they just happen to be part of the culture where the people who are muslim live.
I may be radical when i say this,: but Islam embraces the feminist. Muhammad (peace be upon him) in my opinion surrounded himself purposefully with strong women and fought hard for womens equal rights. I believe that Islam wants what is best for mother and child, Exclusive BF, Extended BF, BF period.
Khadija, and Fatima are beautiful examples of feminist, IMO.
#73 of 1560 Old 10-20-2007, 02:06 PM

Quote:
I Islam gets so many things piled on top of it that are not Islamic, they just happen to be part of the culture where the people who are muslim live.
I may be radical when i say this,: but Islam embraces the feminist. Muhammad (peace be upon him) in my opinion surrounded himself purposefully with strong women and fought hard for womens equal rights. I believe that Islam wants what is best for mother and child, Exclusive BF, Extended BF, BF period.
Khadija, and Fatima are beautiful examples of feminist, IMO.
Absolutely!! I agree 100%. I think this is one of the most mis understood aspects of Islam. So many things about the way women are treated are totally cultural. For example, in Saudi, women can't drive. That is not Islam. In some parts of the Arab world women are made to wear a burka. That is not Islam. May Allah forgive if I have not spoken the truth.
#74 of 1560 Old 10-20-2007, 07:43 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Nobody mind me, I'm just lurking.
#75 of 1560 Old 10-20-2007, 08:03 PM

Quote:
Masha-Allah means all praise and glory are due Allah.
That's alhamdulillah. Mashallah means something along the lines of "what Allah wishes"... like saying something is as God willed.

I hope everyone had a good Eid. I totally forgot about it. : Life as a single mama in a new town will do that.

I went to Disney World with the kids a few weeks ago... When I was a kid, my absolute favorite part of the whole trip was Morocco in the World Showcase at Epcot. Going back was a disappointment... first of all, because having been a muslim, I know that most of the junk they sell isn't worth anywhere near that much money! But then there were a bunch of muslims working there from Morocco. So I asked one of them if they were muslim (no assumption here) and when he said yes I said Ramadhan Mubarak and his response was, "OH very good!" No returning the sentiment, no salaams, nothing... like it isn't even in the realm of possability that I could also be a muslim. That's the thing I miss the most about wearing hijab... the visibility. But then that's sortof the problem too.

Ugh.
#76 of 1560 Old 10-20-2007, 08:08 PM

OH and... the hippie crunchy muslims are at the Bawa Muhiyaddeen Fellowship in Philadelphia. Or at the sufi conference.

I used to follow a senegalese shaykh, only I was a mourid. They have some awesome thikrs though!
#77 of 1560 Old 10-20-2007, 08:14 PM

Lisa-
And are you still murid?
Jam ak salam....
#78 of 1560 Old 10-20-2007, 08:24 PM

Lisa-
I forgot to ask you who was your serigne?
Have you been to Magal?
I am murid, a yayefall.
Hope to connect with you soon.
MF
#79 of 1560 Old 10-21-2007, 01:01 AM

I was a follower of Shaykh Abdoulaye Dieye. I initially met him and several other people at the sufi conference in san francisco in 1999. I lost touch with them shortly before he passed away. I haven't been anywhere, as much as I would have loved to.
#80 of 1560 Old 10-21-2007, 01:56 AM

I LOVE Shaykh Abdoulaye Dieye!!!!!
What an amazing man, and wonderful writer!!!
You will have to come to Magal with us sometime!!
I love the connections of Serigne Touba, amaloumoroum!!!
Jam ak Hewal
Mame Fati
#81 of 1560 Old 10-21-2007, 02:54 AM

A lot of the people I knew who also made bayat with the skaykh traveled to touba pretty regularly. I would love to go sometime.
#82 of 1560 Old 10-22-2007, 05:30 AM

Assalam Alaikum.

Hi from New Zealand. My husband is muslim and from Pakistan. we have a son named Arman and a (sabine or ridvan on the way in 2 weeks - depending on the sex)

Its nice to see so many communities represented here.

Allah hafiz

http://www.flickr.com/photos/felicitymehndi
#83 of 1560 Old 10-22-2007, 05:32 AM

My SO's name is Arman. Beautiful choice! :
#84 of 1560 Old 10-22-2007, 06:02 AM

Location: Learning about ancient history along with the kiddos
If you live in the U.S. and vote, would you mind sharing who you're thinking of voting for next year? I was leaning towards Obama until he talked about how dropping missiles in Pakistan was a possibility. I'm not really a single-issue voter (although if I was the issue would be the environment) but I'm wondering who you think is the most supportive of Muslims?
#85 of 1560 Old 10-22-2007, 10:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by flystalker View Post
Assalam Alaikum.

Hi from New Zealand. My husband is muslim and from Pakistan. we have a son named Arman and a (sabine or ridvan on the way in 2 weeks - depending on the sex)

Its nice to see so many communities represented here.

Allah hafiz

http://www.flickr.com/photos/felicitymehndi
Welcome and congratulations on the new baby! How exciting - only 2 weeks away! Makes me want another one.

May Allah provide you with a easy labor and a beautiful healthy child, Insha-Allah.

Cheryl
#86 of 1560 Old 10-22-2007, 10:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by avent View Post
If you live in the U.S. and vote, would you mind sharing who you're thinking of voting for next year? I was leaning towards Obama until he talked about how dropping missiles in Pakistan was a possibility. I'm not really a single-issue voter (although if I was the issue would be the environment) but I'm wondering who you think is the most supportive of Muslims?
To be honest, the thought of picking a candidate makes me : . I agree with you about he single issue thing but I really think we have to pick someone who is going to be supportive of stopping this nonsense in Iraq. I was thinking about Hilary Clinton but I just don't know. It seems that she may just be doing a lot of talking to gain votes. I am not sure if there is a lot of substance behind what she is saying.

I will be interested to see what others have to say here.
#87 of 1560 Old 10-22-2007, 03:37 PM

Yeah, I hear you on the Iraq thing. The only reason it's not my #1 issue is that I foresee many more Iraq-style wars if the environment keeps heading in the current direction (resource grabbing, fighting for oil, energy, water, etc.) I would say Iraq is my #2 issue. The domestic healthcare situation is probably #3, with the Israel/Palestine/peace challenge next.
#88 of 1560 Old 10-23-2007, 04:04 PM

I am going for Obama.
We have got so many issues that it is hard to pick a canidate just based on those.It is going to be SO HARD for anyone elected to walk in and start repairing the enormous mess Bush has made.
I like Obama because.....
1. He is married to a strong, outspoken woman
2. He has really had to search and understand himself, with his mixed roots- I think his chaacter is solid because of this
3. He is of genuine character and seems very God-centered
4. I think he really wants to do the "right thing"
5. He is worldly- lived in Indonesia, has family in Kenya, he sees the big picture because of this
6. His first book is awesome, Dreams of my father
7. He is connected to everyone in some way- white american mother, black african father, muslim family, christian family, Indonesian step father, struggling single mom, elder grandparents who he lived with, lived in Hawaii, lived in Indonesia, grass roots work in south side chicago, shit, he is even realted to Dick Cheney!
8. He is a loving father
I like Obama for his inner strength and character.
I am tired of politicians.
He is running the "rat race" with conciouseness
#89 of 1560 Old 10-28-2007, 01:54 PM

Quote:
I am going for Obama.
We have got so many issues that it is hard to pick a canidate just based on those.It is going to be SO HARD for anyone elected to walk in and start repairing the enormous mess Bush has made.
I like Obama because.....
1. He is married to a strong, outspoken woman
2. He has really had to search and understand himself, with his mixed roots- I think his chaacter is solid because of this
3. He is of genuine character and seems very God-centered
4. I think he really wants to do the "right thing"
5. He is worldly- lived in Indonesia, has family in Kenya, he sees the big picture because of this
6. His first book is awesome, Dreams of my father
7. He is connected to everyone in some way- white american mother, black african father, muslim family, christian family, Indonesian step father, struggling single mom, elder grandparents who he lived with, lived in Hawaii, lived in Indonesia, grass roots work in south side chicago, shit, he is even realted to Dick Cheney!
8. He is a loving father
I like Obama for his inner strength and character.
I am tired of politicians.
He is running the "rat race" with conciouseness
I totally agree with you. I really like Obama as well. I think he would make an excellent president. All of the other candidates with the exception of maybe Edwards seem unfit to me. Hillary worries me because she doesn't seem to have a firm stand on anything, and I think she leans much more toward Republican than Democrat. It also bothers me that she refuses to admit she was wrong about Iraq.

btw I found a site that will send you a free Barack Obama bumper sticker if anyone is interested. I just got mine yesterday, so I know they really do send them out.
http://www.positivelybarack.com/?page_id=43
#90 of 1560 Old 10-28-2007, 02:51 PM

I agree with the Obama reasons listed as well. But then there's this:

http://www.reuters.com/article/domes...32206420070801

I can't see how I can support this if I don't support the war in Iraq. How can a possible expansion of the problem to another Muslim country be okay?

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page