Muslim Mamas tribe - Page 5 - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#121 of 1560 Old 10-31-2007, 10:06 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Salam sisters,
I have a question about baby names. I was wonderring what types of names are not allowed in Islam? I know that there are some things that aren't allowed, but when I searched the fatwa banks, I wasn't able to really find a good answer to my question. So, I was hoping someone here could help me out. I am specifically wonderring about using English pronunciations of certain names found in the Quran instead of Arabic. Also, I think I read somewhere not to use the names of angels, is that correct? So, that would mean something like Gabriel couldn't be used, right? Any insight would be very helpful. I still have many months to figure this out, but I want my baby to have a good, Islamic name, while still being "American" enough to make dh happy. :
#122 of 1560 Old 10-31-2007, 10:29 AM

Assalaamu alaykum,

Jennifer, I didn't know you're pregnant! Yay!

Here's what I've heard about names. You want a good name with good meaning. It doesn't have to be an Arabic name although those are preferred. I know many Muslims named Jibreel (Gabriel) and I don't think that's haram. Some are also named Mikhail (for the angel aka Michael.) However, there are a few names we're not supposed to use. Names of gods or goddesses like Diana or Apollo. The 99 names of Allah without "Abd" or "Abdul" or "Abdi" (slave) at the beginning. So we're not supposed to name our son Rahman, but Abdurrahman is fine. Does that make sense?

On the other hand, you wouldn't want to name your child "Abd" of anything else, like Abdu Rasul (slave of the Prophet/Messenger) because we're not supposed to be slaves to anyone besides Allah.

You may have been all over this already but here's a link with some more info on naming a Muslim baby.

You could also e-mail Sunnipath with your question if they don't have good answers on the website. I find them very moderate and helpful and they also have a good grasp of English (I believe many of them are native English speakers), which is not always the case with the dot-com fatwas! They have always gotten back to me in reasonable time as well.
#123 of 1560 Old 10-31-2007, 11:38 AM

Thanks! I just found out I am pregnant and haven't told many people. With this being #5 for us, not many people will be happy for us.

Thanks for directing me to Sunnipath too. I was able to find it there. I haven't used Sunnipath in awhile, because when I was first considerring converting, I found their views to be too conservative, but now they don't really seem that way. (I guess I have changed more than I thought. )
#124 of 1560 Old 10-31-2007, 11:49 AM

They are orthodox/traditional but moderate, IMO. I think you can be both!

Quote:
I guess I have changed more than I thought
That happened to me too!
#125 of 1560 Old 10-31-2007, 12:08 PM

Actually my own understanding is that names belonging exclusively to God are not permitted, but that does not mean the 99 names of God are entirely excluded ... one might be called Rasheed, for example, without "'Abd al-". It may be something about which there is a matter of both more and less strict rulings co-existing, I suppose. I'd always heard the same -- that it's something forbidden -- until I met my husband's nephew Kareem and inquired further.

There are hadith that the most beloved names before God are 'Abdullah and 'Abdur-Rahman. After that as far as I know it is preferable to follow the names of the prophets, after that the names of the pious companions of the prophets, and after that simply any name of a good meaning.

While names of Angels and certain other particular names may be common, I'm sure I've read of scholars giving reasons as to why, while not forbidden, they are disliked. Perhaps someone else might know more than me on that. Again it might be co-existing rulings.

Best of luck in choosing, at any rate!
#126 of 1560 Old 10-31-2007, 01:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ammaarah View Post
They are orthodox/traditional but moderate, IMO. I think you can be both!

That happened to me too!
Salaam aleikum

I guess many reverts been down that path hehe... I started out as a "hadith-rejector", and look at me now... Alhamdulillah!

Mother of three little muslims!
#127 of 1560 Old 10-31-2007, 01:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Liquesce View Post
Actually my own understanding is that names belonging exclusively to God are not permitted, but that does not mean the 99 names of God are entirely excluded ... one might be called Rasheed, for example, without "'Abd al-". It may be something about which there is a matter of both more and less strict rulings co-existing, I suppose. I'd always heard the same -- that it's something forbidden -- until I met my husband's nephew Kareem and inquired further.
I have read that too. Like you said, probably difference of opinion. Thanks for more info. I hope to have another little Muslim next year some time, inshaAllah (not pregnant yet but getting a little more hardcore with TTC) so it's good to know.

MashaAllah, Nabbe! Funny how things go!
#128 of 1560 Old 10-31-2007, 02:09 PM

if you want to use names found in the Qur'an, e.g. names of the Prophets, Sahaba/Sahabiyat or Mothers of the Believers, there is no prohibition against using the English equivalent, as far as i know. My son's middle name is Suleimaan, but I could have used Solomon. i know many muslims with names like Sarah, Adam, John, etc.

just find a name with a good meaning and you should be fine. i am considering Hawa for my baby girl, insha'allah.
#129 of 1560 Old 10-31-2007, 03:38 PM

I have get different answers to the name issue. Some are of the oppinion that we can not use Noah instead of Nuh or Aron instead of Harun, because its a childs right to have an islamic name... To have a muslim identity, and to be identified as a muslim, and not be mistaken for a christian.

That said, I could definately go for Noah and Aron, but there are other names I would never change. I would not use Abraham instead of Ibrahim, or John instead of Yehya.

But its all about preferences...

#130 of 1560 Old 10-31-2007, 04:54 PM

arabic names do seem to sound more islamic, even if there is no huge huge difference. i like the way many of them sound just for aesthetic reasons myself. i am leaning towards Hawa for my daughter, insha'allah.
#131 of 1560 Old 10-31-2007, 05:28 PM

MashaAllah, Hawa is beautifull! I could never substitute that with Eve, or Eva as we say here in Norway.

#132 of 1560 Old 10-31-2007, 06:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nabbe View Post
MashaAllah, Hawa is beautifull! I could never substitute that with Eve, or Eva as we say here in Norway.
thanks Nabbe! yes, i agree that Eve/Eva do not compare to Hawa in any way : my husband's ancestral name is Dolo and there is a beautiful West African lullaby called Hawa Dolo by Ali Farka Toure. i know it sounds corny, but when i knew it was a girl, Hawa was the first name that came to mind, so soft and delicate (so unlike me LOL!
#133 of 1560 Old 10-31-2007, 06:54 PM

I LOVE the song Hawa Dolo by Ali Farka Toure, LOVE IT LOVE IT LOVE IT
What a beautiful name...we are eating mafe tonight, thought of you arizona umi...inshallah one day we will sit around a bowl together.
Fallou is full of energy.....
#134 of 1560 Old 11-01-2007, 09:28 AM

Last night we had Iyan (pounded yam) and stew! That is my favorite African dish. mmmmmm....

Now what to make for dinner tonight? Hmmmm????
#135 of 1560 Old 11-01-2007, 12:50 PM

Anyone got some good african recipies to share? West-African? I love "peanutsoup", and domoda... But cant make domoda though... Anyone?

Today we are having leftover Sri Lankian food from yesterday, but instead of rice, we are having couscous with it. Kids will have leftover pizza from the fridge.

We are sooo trying to focus more on not throwing food, but its not easy...

#136 of 1560 Old 11-01-2007, 01:02 PM

ooh, domoda, yum!!! i know how to make it but i am pressed for time right now. insha'allah i will post the recipe when i get home. the recipe is almost the same as mafe except you use flour water instead of peanut butter to thicken the sauce. the process is kind of hard to explain but i'll do my best when i get a minute to sit down and write out the recipe. i have some other recipes too that i should post.

oh, mamefati, you know the song?! Hawa Dolo is so beautiful. and i have been craving mafe lately. i guess great minds think alike. maybe the day we'll share a bowl of mafe is not too far away

Mama Aminah, i have never had Iyan. is that like fufu? fufu is my son's favorite food but not so much mine. i can't get the grasp of swallow, not chew LOL!

one thing that we always make when time and ideas are running out is Yassa. do a google search for the recipe. it's really easy and really good.
#137 of 1560 Old 11-02-2007, 01:09 AM

well now i understand why my mouth dosent like fufu..chewing and all!
I am going to try and write down some recipes for you mommas, I kind of cook by throwing it all together so I need to get it all organized and out of my head. will be posting those soon.....Please send along any of yours, I love food from anywhere as long as it's yummy!

arizona umi- malian music is like the soul of all the others, its like the momma. I LOVE it and Ali Farka Toure was my first love that opened that door. My Bambara friend gave me his tape and from that day on, I was hooked! I always dreamed of having the song.....shoot, i'll have to find it, played at my wedding. Well, we had a traditional muslim marriage ceremony and there was no music at the mosque!

Mommas- I have an extra copy of the book "So long a letter" by Mariama Ba, a great Senegalese female writer. It is her account of her emotions and lif after her husband took on a second wife. Great book- love to hear any woman speaking from their heart.....first one who says they want it, I will send it to you..
Fallou is awake.....
#138 of 1560 Old 11-02-2007, 10:15 AM

so long a letter is my FAVORITE book!!!!!!! i love mariama ba. my sil has my copy or else i would definitely get your extra one LOL!!!
#139 of 1560 Old 11-02-2007, 03:59 PM

Hey assalamulaykum,
I have to ask you guys your opinion on something. We just had our second DC 5 days ago alhamdullilah. We are so so happy, but I am really exhausted. Since the baby was born we have had people coming over including my husband's parents etc. I haven't had the best relationship with them but I understand their place in our lives and try to be respectful and stay quiet when they say things that bother me. But needless to say, having them around isn't exactly relaxing for me because of that. My DH feels obligated whenever he is home taking care of me this week that he should pick them up and bring them over (they live about 10 min away). I asked him if I could have some time alone, I just needed some time to recover and I felt like it was very healing to have just him, and the kids with me. He understands that but he still goes back and forth because he feels guilty about them.
I don't know if I'm just being selfish... but I'm not exactly asking them not to come at all. I just wanted the weekdays while my husband was home to spend with just the family. He's usually so busy with two jobs that we never get that time anyways and I feel like this is a very rare opportunity. I told him to bring them tomorrow (after I had gotten very angry and lost my temper and cried about them coming today ). Am I asking for too much?
#140 of 1560 Old 11-02-2007, 04:29 PM

Hello Sisters, I am writing here because I had a question regarding extended breastfeeding and Islam and am seeking some advice. My daughter is 16 months and she is still nursing happily. I love nursing her and am not planning on weaning her and in fact, and I hope to practice child led weaning which I understand may mean she will nurse until she is 3-4 or even later. I am perfectly fine with it. However, my family-in-law are devout Muslims and they have said that nursing is allowed only until age 2 when the child should be weaned. (btw, I converted when my husband and I got married.) My husband actually, does not encourage nursing after age 2 either despite all the health benefits I have outlined for him. I don't think it is a religious issue for him however, it is more of a social issue. I am not so worried about dealing with my husband though (I still have time to work on him and he knows that I am a real lactivist!), but I am really distressed about dealing with his father, mother, and siblings who are all very religious. I really need to get my husband on board with child led weaning and hopefully he will be an ally when talking to his family. I have a friend who is also Muslim and she nursed until age 4 and she thinks the ban on nursing after age 2 may be a cultural thing as opposed to a religious one. Any advice out there?? Please help!!Thanks so much!!
#141 of 1560 Old 11-02-2007, 06:57 PM

Location: Learning about ancient history along with the kiddos
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beanie's Mom View Post
However, my family-in-law are devout Muslims and they have said that nursing is allowed only until age 2 when the child should be weaned.
My understanding from talking to my childhood Imam about this is that 2 years is the minimum. No maximum is specified. I would ask my in-laws to show me where the maximum is written down and if they could not, I would not worry about their opinion on this subject. I know many Muslim mamas who have breastfeed 3 years and beyond. I think the "2 year cutoff" is more cultural than religious.
#142 of 1560 Old 11-03-2007, 08:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by msiddiqi View Post
Hey assalamulaykum,
I have to ask you guys your opinion on something. We just had our second DC 5 days ago alhamdullilah. We are so so happy, but I am really exhausted. Since the baby was born we have had people coming over including my husband's parents etc. I haven't had the best relationship with them but I understand their place in our lives and try to be respectful and stay quiet when they say things that bother me. But needless to say, having them around isn't exactly relaxing for me because of that. My DH feels obligated whenever he is home taking care of me this week that he should pick them up and bring them over (they live about 10 min away). I asked him if I could have some time alone, I just needed some time to recover and I felt like it was very healing to have just him, and the kids with me. He understands that but he still goes back and forth because he feels guilty about them.
I don't know if I'm just being selfish... but I'm not exactly asking them not to come at all. I just wanted the weekdays while my husband was home to spend with just the family. He's usually so busy with two jobs that we never get that time anyways and I feel like this is a very rare opportunity. I told him to bring them tomorrow (after I had gotten very angry and lost my temper and cried about them coming today ). Am I asking for too much?
Congratulations on your new little bundle, Masha-Allah!!

I don't thing you are being unreasonable at all!! This is a very special time and also a very tiring time. For you to want to spend some alone time with the family is not only acceptable it is commendable. I think you should tell your husband that you need the time with him and the kids. If you in-laws have been over every day, they can skip a day or two. It won't hurt them. This is just my two cents. May Allah make it easy on you.
#143 of 1560 Old 11-03-2007, 09:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beanie's Mom View Post
Hello Sisters, I am writing here because I had a question regarding extended breastfeeding and Islam and am seeking some advice. My daughter is 16 months and she is still nursing happily. I love nursing her and am not planning on weaning her and in fact, and I hope to practice child led weaning which I understand may mean she will nurse until she is 3-4 or even later. I am perfectly fine with it. However, my family-in-law are devout Muslims and they have said that nursing is allowed only until age 2 when the child should be weaned. (btw, I converted when my husband and I got married.) My husband actually, does not encourage nursing after age 2 either despite all the health benefits I have outlined for him. I don't think it is a religious issue for him however, it is more of a social issue. I am not so worried about dealing with my husband though (I still have time to work on him and he knows that I am a real lactivist!), but I am really distressed about dealing with his father, mother, and siblings who are all very religious. I really need to get my husband on board with child led weaning and hopefully he will be an ally when talking to his family. I have a friend who is also Muslim and she nursed until age 4 and she thinks the ban on nursing after age 2 may be a cultural thing as opposed to a religious one. Any advice out there?? Please help!!Thanks so much!!
I think you should be commended for wanting to do the best for your child. You should be proud of yourself for going against the "norm". Would Allah really want us to rip away our child's feeling of security and love and etc. etc. before they were ready? I don't think so. What is the harm in nursing until they are older than two?

I believe that when you choose to breastfeed beyond 12 months, unfortunately you are also choosing to set yourself up for comments from both family and strangers. However, we have to do what is best for our child. My Mom is not a Muslim and I know she doesn't really agree that Aminah is still nursing at 28 months, but she is not Aminah's mother, I am! I have to do what is best for her. Does that make sense?

I say that you need to ignore your in-laws. Maybe by being an example extended breastfeeding, you will change the way they think.
#144 of 1560 Old 11-05-2007, 12:29 AM

On the names thing... You don't have to change your name or give your baby an arabic name. The only names that are strictly forbidden are those with haraam meanings and names that are specifically reserved for Allah (swt). Islam is for everyone, not just arabs. Arab culture is interesting and beautiful in a lot of ways for sure, but Islam and Arab are not synonymous words.

As for breastfeeding... The surah in the Quran that mentions a 2 year time limit is addressing divorced women specifically. Most muslims I have known, the scholarly included, claim that this is THE limit that we are supposed to wean our children at. However, I have personally never come across anything that I would seriously consider proof of this claim. There is another verse that says...

Quote:
The carrying of the (child) to his weaning is (a period of) thirty months.
Supposedly this is supposed to support the 2 year idea in that "the minimum amount of gestation is 6 months, so if you subtract that from 30, 2 years remains the age for weaning"... Knowing what I know about pregnancy and childbirth... uh, no. In the context of the verse in it's whole form, which is advising muslims to be kind to their parents because of the hardships they endured to bring them into the world and raise them, it seems like it is just meant to demonstrate those sacrifices... and not that it is meant to be taken as a literal instruction as to how long a child should breastfeed.

That's my opinion anyway...
#145 of 1560 Old 11-05-2007, 10:18 PM

Assalaamu alaykum,

My little one is almost 26 months old and I am slowly weaning her, but not because I believe it's haram to nurse longer or anything. I'm just ready to slowly close that chapter inshaAllah.

I do have one book that says it's haram to BF past two, but then I always think, do they mean like a day after the second birthday or wean by the time the baby turns three? Is it following the Gregorian calendar or Islamic months? At any rate, I don't think there are any hadiths saying thou shalt wean at 24 months or earlier. If anyone has any info, I'd like to see it.

I think even if there were actual hadiths we could put our hands on today that promote weaning right at 24 months, we'd have to look at why. The ummah was relatively very small during the life of Prophet Mohammed, peace be upon him. It was pretty important to keep having babies. I'm coming to the conclusion that even though I ovulate while nursing, I am not fertile during this time.

At any rate, I truly think it's going a bit far when people say nursing is haram after two years. I think there's a big difference between Allah saying the period of nursing is two years and humans saying the period is two years, max. So I will nurse my daughter past two (although not as long past two as she would like, probably.)
#146 of 1560 Old 11-06-2007, 04:30 AM

Hi Rebecca,

Welcome to this thread. I'm so happy to see you here...

One of the best times to go to the mosque is at sunset or just after sunset (especially if you're working during the daytime). Or the other time is on Friday at noon. The mosque might have some kind of activities on the weekend and this might be a good time for you to come too. You might wanna check with them again.

Recommendation:
~ Dress modestly
~ If you come during the prayer time: sit a distance behind the men or if there are women praying, sit next to them.
~ Important that if you see someone praying, not to walk in front of them.
That's all...

If you have any questions, you're welcome to contact us.

Salaam (peace),
-Sis Dina-

Quote:
Originally Posted by dealic View Post
Ok, since I am lurking in this thread, I thought I would post a bit of a hello!

I am not a Muslim (or a mama), but I am interested in Islam. I have had several Muslim friends and I really like some of their perspectives, especially when compared to Christian perspectives on the same issue. I am lurking to hopefully learn more, and so far its working. I am always having to look up words you use (wikipedia is my friend) and am enjoying the conversation.

I am very excited that my city just got its first Mosque, and I would love to go there one day. I am very worried about this though, as I am an infidel with no plans to convert, and I worry that they would not be pleased to have me there. I just want to learn. Its so nice to see. We just got our first Synogogue a few years ago, and we are still 98% white, 93% Christian, etc. I like the little steps towards diversity I see.

Anyway, hello! Hopefully no one minds my shameless lurking.
#147 of 1560 Old 11-06-2007, 04:37 AM

Location: Learning about ancient history along with the kiddos
Quote:
Originally Posted by din4 View Post

Recommendation:
~ Dress modestly
~ If you come during the prayer time: sit a distance behind the men or if there are women praying, sit next to them.
~ Important that if you see someone praying, not to walk in front of them.
One more recommendation: Come prepared to remove your shoes if you wish to enter the prayer areas.
#148 of 1560 Old 11-07-2007, 05:35 PM

I don't know if this was mentioned but this sister just wrote an email on a google group I'm on about how Shaykh Abdul Adhami's position is that there is no upper limit on breastfeeding. I want to find out more but just thought it might be something to look into as well.
On Sunnipath they say 2 1/2. If anyone finds out anymore about Shaykh Adhami's position please post it, I'd like to know for my DD.
#149 of 1560 Old 11-08-2007, 05:41 PM

On Sunnipath, there is more than one answer. Shaykh Amjad Rasheed says no problem after 2 years. It took me a while to find it here:
http://qa.sunnipath.com/issue_view.a...=3888&CATE=335

The link from Umm Zaynab's Islamic Attachment Parenting site was broken!
http://www.geocities.com/islam_ap/breastfeed.html
#150 of 1560 Old 11-09-2007, 11:55 AM

Salam Sisters-
Hope everyone is doing well.....
My heart is heavy today for another MDC momma, sugarlumpkin. Today is her first day of chemo and the last day she nurses her little one. Please keep her close to your heart and in your prayers, she is a strong momma with a great attitude. I am going to start her "thinking of you" thread in TAO again so come on over and show her some love, or pm her, or read her blog.....
www.motherhoodandcancer.blogspot.com
Peace

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page