Muslim Mamas tribe - Page 52 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1531 of 1560 Old 12-08-2009, 08:07 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I see quite a few sisters in black, brown, beige, and sometimes more exciting colored abayat where I live (Minneapolis.) I prefer black - I wore it all the time before I was Muslim, so I love the wide variety of black black and black. That said, I have a pink abaya, a sage green, and a periwinkle one. I just usually feel like wearing black!
#1532 of 1560 Old 12-09-2009, 05:02 AM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
I think I am a skirt person at the very least, an overgarment person more so even. Even though I wore jeans all the time out of hijab without a second thought.
Today, just to experiment with the 'feel' of it, a longish sweater with jeans. And a 2 piece Amirah or whatever they're actually called for the scarf. No. Can't explain it, just doesn't feel right to me, need to be in a skirt or something. I don't know.

I've seen people do it here. it's not me.

I'm starting to question a little being back in hijab at all like if I were to ever for some reason stop again.....what does that say to the kids? Do I just take it off right now and never mess with it again to avoid that? Is it going to be harder on DS and me in his tiny little school that I really think will be good for him??

OK it's normal probably to question a little. I just know that I don't feel right not doing it, see my other post. Maybe it is the thought of DS going to school that got me wanting to practice our religion more at home--more outside influence, needs a strong idea from us of who we are and what Islam is, something like that.

And honestly when it comes right down to it I DO feel it's OBLIGATORY, I don't feel I can argue with that. I've said all this before so I am now going to go to bed rather than keep rambling

lovin DH since 1/04, best mom for my 3 boys 10/04, 11/08, 11/10 one girlie (1/07), and one 13 wk (10/13) just your average :ha ng multigenerational living family!!
#1533 of 1560 Old 12-09-2009, 05:38 AM

I would just take the hijab thing one day at a time, sis. Speculating too much is gonna stress you out. Rather than anticipating taking it off, just see if you're able to wear it today.
#1534 of 1560 Old 12-09-2009, 12:18 PM

I agree, just take it one day at a time, and if there come a time when you feel the need to uncover again for whatever reason, then you will cross that bridge when you get there. Also try to remeber that there is so much more to being a good Muslima than whether or not you cover. Even if you decide a few months from now that coverring really isn't for you, as long as you are faithful, and a good teacher of Islam for your son, don't worry about it too much. Allah knows what is in your heart.
#1535 of 1560 Old 12-09-2009, 12:47 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ammaarah View Post
I would just take the hijab thing one day at a time, sis. Speculating too much is gonna stress you out. Rather than anticipating taking it off, just see if you're able to wear it today.
Ditto that! excellent advice...just do what you can and say doa'a that God makes things easier for you.
#1536 of 1560 Old 12-09-2009, 12:56 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
I see quite a few sisters in black, brown, beige, and sometimes more exciting colored abayat where I live (Minneapolis.) I prefer black - I wore it all the time before I was Muslim, so I love the wide variety of black black and black. That said, I have a pink abaya, a sage green, and a periwinkle one. I just usually feel like wearing black!
You know, thats funny because in the US and in Iran I normally preferred to wear black as well. I liked black abayaat or jilbab or manteau and black scarves of whatever variety I fancied.

But, since coming here to KSA I can honestly say all the black is starting to grate on my nerves. hehehehe...culture shock. LOL...I can't explain why it annoys me, but I think like the lack of choice is what bothers me the most.

if I was able to see women wearing all different colors and styles of overgarment or if there was wider variety of colors in the shops then maybe I wouldn't find black so grating anymore.

Personally I dont know what a mutawwa would have against a lilac abayaah with a black shaylah and niqab...it's just as covered, but hey, who knows... (like they'll tell non-Muslim women to put hijabs on. LOL). I'm not in Riyadh though so the mutawwa presence is pretty minimal, cept for weekend evening in the malls...

Maybe I'll get it for umrah and wear it for Umrah in january. en'shallah.
#1537 of 1560 Old 12-09-2009, 01:41 PM

Oh, UmmIbrahim, I totally skimmed the last few pages so I didn't realize you are in KSA! That explains it! I thought Liquesce was being facetious when she mentioned the mutawween. I thought she meant the self-appointed mutawween in every community, like the jerk who told a woman I know she shouldn't wear a green abaya (in MINNEAPOLIS!) ROFL. I need more coffee.

ETA: Mutawween = plural of mutawwa, right? Brain hurt this morning.
#1538 of 1560 Old 12-09-2009, 01:45 PM

Oh, heavens, I HATE whitening creams. In Bangladesh, there was a commercial that played all the time. A beautiful tan woman poses in front of a camera - and the camera BREAKS. Then she uses Fair and Worthy (or whatever cream) and the camera totally works fine. It OUTRAGED me! In a country full of lovely brown and tan people, they take six hours to make up each bride so she looks like Snow White. Makes me sad.

Quote:
Originally Posted by UmmIbrahim View Post
Salaamu aliakum

Spkg of Fair & Lovely...here in KSA Pond's has a VERY popular skin whitening line, in fact almost every single brand I was used to in the states has a skin-whitening line here, there are even foot creams which whiten up the feet and deo which whiten up the underarms.

It's creepy...all the commercials, everything! It's everywhere.
#1539 of 1560 Old 12-09-2009, 06:09 PM

The crazy thing about those skin lightenning cremes to me is that here in the states, pasty white women are killing themselves to be tan. Why can't people just be happy the way they are?
#1540 of 1560 Old 12-09-2009, 07:20 PM

Quote:
I thought Liquesce was being facetious when she mentioned the mutawween. I thought she meant the self-appointed mutawween in every community, like the jerk who told a woman I know she shouldn't wear a green abaya (in MINNEAPOLIS!) ROFL.
Oh hail no! Those people I cross on a nearly daily basis.

Quote:
In a country full of lovely brown and tan people, they take six hours to make up each bride so she looks like Snow White. Makes me sad.
I hate that. Hate it. And I especially hate sitting down with a beautiful woman only to have her proudly crack open her wedding photo album and expect to me ooh and aah over page after page of her made up to look like death.
#1541 of 1560 Old 12-13-2009, 03:55 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Maybe I am only stressing becuase I have literally ZERO sense of connection with my local comm. right now. Before, when i put it on, it was because I was wearing it everywhere except work and I switched jobs because I felt like I was 'living a lie'

I can honestly say that day-to-day normal dressed I don't typically feel like that. But I DO feel uncomfortable in the summer taking my kids to the pool and the like, I like participating but I feel totally uncomfortable that uncovered. Dh has never gone with us--he *has* seen my swimsuit and never said anything. (And it's sort of modest by typical standards)

I think that's a good idea, one day at a time, and wear whatever makes me feel beautiful....then I'll be happy with it.

On a totally different topic, how do you organize your hijabs? Mine are all in a drawer, but it's tough to find things like both parts of a two-piece, or a particular underscarf....

lovin DH since 1/04, best mom for my 3 boys 10/04, 11/08, 11/10 one girlie (1/07), and one 13 wk (10/13) just your average :ha ng multigenerational living family!!
#1542 of 1560 Old 12-14-2009, 03:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by peaceful_mama View Post
On a totally different topic, how do you organize your hijabs? Mine are all in a drawer, but it's tough to find things like both parts of a two-piece, or a particular underscarf....
I like accessory hangers, like this kind or really if you just google the term there are all sorts. I've also just folded scarves kind of narrowly and draped several on a regular wire hanger, which works ok in a pinch. Either way, hanging = less ironing, which I'm always in favor of.
#1543 of 1560 Old 12-14-2009, 12:02 PM

I use belt/scarf hangers... basically think a hanger with tons of holes in it. I also have a drawer filled with hijabs (mainly Al Amirahs)... but the hangers tend to work better. (OK, just looked at Liquesce's link... exactly the same thing I use.)

Today's CSMonitor has like three articles on hijab. All pretty positive.

Mom to DS(8), DS(6), DD(4), and DS(1).  "Kids do as well as they can."

#1544 of 1560 Old 12-15-2009, 07:54 PM

Assalamu Alaikum:

So Islamic New Year is coming up later this week. Do you guys do anything to celebrate? I was thinking of picking up some New Year's stuff and sparkling grape juice and throwing a little party. I want my kids to be aware of the Muslim calendar, etc. I thought this would fit nicely with also celebrating their "Muslim" birthdays.

Any ideas? Anything from your family's traditions you'd like to share?

#1545 of 1560 Old 12-18-2009, 12:09 AM

until I can find some ladies with whom to share a study group, I am trying to find other ways to study. due to work, I rarely can attend masjid on Fridays. do any of you listen to audio lectures, perhaps through youtube? searching for lectures is a bit overwhelming because i do not necessarily know where a certain imam is coming from; i am looking for spiritual nourishment and not political polemics. i have listened to several from Zaytuna Institute but need to branch out.

I would welcome your recommendations.

glad to read the hijab organizing tips.

mama to one amazing daughter born 1/2004
#1546 of 1560 Old 12-18-2009, 05:02 AM

I'm notoriously a fan of Zaid Shakir and Suhaib Webb (my husband is really hopeful my son grows up to be just like him ), both of whom have quite a bit of audio material on their respective sites. I think I've linked you to Abdallah Adhami before, but if not, him too. Siraj Wahhaj is usually pretty to the point and doesn't try to go over his listeners heads ... most of what I've seen from him is on CDs for sale (there's a huge business in that; if you're interested in non-freebies I -- stunningly! -- have links), but his name does bring up a bunch on YouTube. Ditto Faraz Rabbani, with regard to being pretty straightforward ... you might try the Seeker's Guidance podcasts.
#1547 of 1560 Old 12-18-2009, 12:01 PM

I agree with a lot of Liquesce's recommendations. I also used to listen to the teachings of the Nur Ashki Jerrahi Sufi Order out of NYC back when I lived there.

Look at khutbahs on the right side...
http://www.nurashkijerrahi.org/events.htm

You should also check out the website of any masjids near you.. that you might want to attend. Often they'll post their khutbahs online... and it can be a good way to see if you're a good fit with the place.

#1548 of 1560 Old 12-18-2009, 01:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Liquesce View Post
I'm notoriously a fan of Zaid Shakir and Suhaib Webb (my husband is really hopeful my son grows up to be just like him ), both of whom have quite a bit of audio material on their respective sites. I think I've linked you to Abdallah Adhami before, but if not, him too. Siraj Wahhaj is usually pretty to the point and doesn't try to go over his listeners heads ... most of what I've seen from him is on CDs for sale (there's a huge business in that; if you're interested in non-freebies I -- stunningly! -- have links), but his name does bring up a bunch on YouTube. Ditto Faraz Rabbani, with regard to being pretty straightforward ... you might try the Seeker's Guidance podcasts.
thank you for these links, liquesce! and thanks umsami for your recommendations as well. i recently asked at the masjid if they recorded the khutbahs, and the reply was "oh! what a good idea!" so....perhaps in time? there is another masjid, a bit further away (sufi community you had mentioned to me). i'll check their website too.

mama to one amazing daughter born 1/2004
#1549 of 1560 Old 12-18-2009, 02:41 PM - Thread Starter

Asalaamu alaikum wr wb

Anyone know of any good, active Muslim homeschool groups online or helpful websites? We are working on preschool with Ibi now and we need a lot of ideas! en'shallah

Jazakhallakhair!
#1550 of 1560 Old 12-18-2009, 09:09 PM

Oh! Umsami's suggestion reminded me, too, that the Islamic Center at NYU put quite a lot of their khutbahs online as well. A good group.
#1551 of 1560 Old 12-19-2009, 10:32 AM

Quote:
Asalaamu alaikum wr wb

Anyone know of any good, active Muslim homeschool groups online or helpful websites? We are working on preschool with Ibi now and we need a lot of ideas! en'shallah

Jazakhallakhair!
Wa'alaikum Assalam:

I stumbled across this blog awhile ago... http://muslimhomeschooler.blogspot.com/

You can also adapt a lot of Christian/secular stuff.... just by adding in Muslim stuff. Sonlight has good book lists.

Preschool should be mainly play... art.... cooking... etc. They learn so much just watching you. Even just by watching you do your salat, they'll learn. What we did was to say all of the "silent" stuff out loud, so that the kids would hear it.... and Alhamdullilah... it helped them to learn how to pray.

#1552 of 1560 Old 12-19-2009, 11:41 PM

Here's another blog which might help:
http://islamic-homeschool.blogspot.com/

She seems to take a Montessori approach. There's a great book called "Teach Me to Do It Myself" which would be great for a Pre-K homeschool approach. Really wonderful.

If you're at all interested in Waldorf, then I highly recommend Christopherus's Kindergarten book... for kids 3-6.

#1553 of 1560 Old 12-20-2009, 04:19 PM - Thread Starter

Jazakhallakhair all for the HS tips!

Okay another Q. Is there any Muslimah dieter/weight loss groups online?
So like before I moved to KSA I was extremely active, walked everywhere and had no need to diet as I kept my weight under control just by how active I was. Well...fastforward...now since we've gotten here Ive acked on the pounds! Undoubtly it's due to the fact that I can't walk anywhere and there is no fitness places on the compound or for women nearby. Going to the mall and walking is not my cuppa tay, I've tried running arond the compound...but really...even 5 laps was dreadful!
To make things worse...you can get real creme, full fat everything here and I had a field day the first month eating this stuff. Now, ive gained quite a bit and am getting scared!

I dont know HOW to diet...I think the last time I did so I was in HS and did a Supermodel diet which was only eat 20grams of fat a day...I lost really fast, but because I stay at home all day and have a kidlet thats not really going to work. I find I am eating to comfort myself...being at home, bored all day will do that to ya. I donno what to do!

sigh...

I am kinda missing being so free and being able to walk everywhere and get exercise without it being such a huge hassle...

harumph!

any advice is appreciated!
#1554 of 1560 Old 12-20-2009, 04:40 PM

Assalamu Alaikum UmmIbrahim:

I have a friend who just returned from KSA, and she complained of the same thing. Three ideas:

1)The easiest way to diet, that I've found, is called the plate approach. I think it was begun by the National Cancer Society years ago. Basically, you take your plate, and fill it 1/2 with fruits/veggies (non-starchy kind). 1/4 of your plate is for protein (preferably lean or legumes)... the other 1/4 for starch (rice, potatoes, etc.) Doing this...is a basically easy way to lose.

2)The old Body for Life method. You want to eat 5-6 times per day. Each meal, you have lean protein the size of the palm of your hand, carbs the size of a fist (includes fruit), and as many salad/low-carb veggies as you want.

3) Weight Watchers. No idea if it exists in KSA, but IMHO, it's the most livable. You could probably join online...and do it that way, as well.

As for exercise, you can find a lot on youtube as well as Netflix streaming if you didn't bring any exercise DVDs with you. I sometimes do 5 minute Leslie Sansone youtube videos in the day just to get me going.

#1555 of 1560 Old 12-24-2009, 06:52 AM

Has anyone heard anything about Anwar al-Awlaki having been killed?

I know we're not really supposed to discuss news at large (), but he's such a religiously problematic figure, and so recently prominently problematic, that I thought it relevant.
#1556 of 1560 Old 12-25-2009, 04:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Liquesce View Post
Has anyone heard anything about Anwar al-Awlaki having been killed?

I know we're not really supposed to discuss news at large (), but he's such a religiously problematic figure, and so recently prominently problematic, that I thought it relevant.
Still not clear if he is alive or dead, keep me updated if you here anything. Yes, there is a lot of fishiness to his whole story...
#1557 of 1560 Old 12-25-2009, 05:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chimomma View Post
Still not clear if he is alive or dead, keep me updated if you here anything. Yes, there is a lot of fishiness to his whole story...
Yeah ... I suspect he's about to be added to the list of figures only known to be alive or dead if both he is alive and chooses to publicly speak.

Either way, he was clearly a man with a lot of potential ... it's a shame what became of him.
#1558 of 1560 Old 12-28-2009, 04:48 PM

Quote:
Asalaamu alaikum wr wb

Jazakhallakhair!
http://www.islamichomeeducation.co.uk/phpBB3/
try the above too

joy.gifspread a lot of love joy.gif

#1559 of 1560 Old 12-28-2009, 05:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by peaceful_mama View Post

What do you wear if you're breastfeeding?!
skirt or loose trousers, vest top and long shirt (that doesn't need ironing because i don't do ironing ) over the top with a loose, lightweight long cotton dress/ very lightweight cardigan over the top of those if my shirt is 3/4 length sleeves. i love to layer up why the above is good for b'feeding is because you can unbutton shirt, pull up your vest top and it covers from all angles iyswim. i also wear those jersey wrap dresses with a looser cardigan/ waistcoat to hide my shape better.
i get lots of my things from thrift shops.

hijab rocks imo. go for it and pray for continued success.
may Allah bless you with ease. amin.

Quote:
In a country full of lovely brown and tan people, they take six hours to make up each bride so she looks like Snow White. Makes me sad.
and the white people take HOURS to cover their skin every single day with tan/ rouge etc or burn it to pieces for a 'healthy' look.
human beings, eh!

joy.gifspread a lot of love joy.gif

#1560 of 1560 Old 12-29-2009, 05:22 PM

Assalamu Alaikum:

HijabGirl is having a New Year's Sale... some really good deals... up to 80% off. I know usually I visit her sale too late, so thought I'd post it here now. (I just got 5 hijabs for $20 + shipping. )

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page