Muslim Mamas tribe - Page 9 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 01-04-2008, 10:42 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
and to summer time mommy, May allah swt keep u strong during this time.. Keep making dua.. Sometimes scans show abnormalities but with allah's help everythin turns out just fine at birth.. Thats why some muslims don't believe in ultra sounds cuz maybe sometimes we should not see what happens.. But if it does turn out to be right please remember that allah only gives u what he knows u can handle and he knows best. Your family will be in my prayers and if u need to chat we are here anytime
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-04-2008, 11:45 AM

oh and response to the previous question about fasting when nursing.. This is what i've been taught. If it will cause harm to mother or child or u feel like you wont manage you don't have to BUT u have to make it up. I could not manage fastin when i was pregnant. I was very thirsty and always starving.. So i didn't fast the whole month i fasted half of it thus i have many fasts to make up. But this ramadan i was nursing and i managed just fine while fasting. My milk never dropped. So thats my take on it.
Old 01-05-2008, 06:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Natalie143 View Post
salaams to all my muslim sisters! Am so happy to find this tribe.. Thread.. Let me introduce myself. I'm a muslim mama to one son.. Named deen. He'll be one years old on 24january! I was born a muslim who grew up in the US Altho now i live in south africa, married a muslim man from here.. Even though i was born a muslim it wasn't as easy to get islamic education in america where i lived so i still have loads to learn. My husband went to madressah for most of his school life so he knows a lot about islam. It is so uplifting to see how strong you converts are with islam. I don't wear a hijab(inshallah i hope to get there one day soon) and it pains me to say this but as of right now i do not read all five daily prayers.. But i am going to put my mind to it to start! The hadiths that were posted in this thread are very up lifting i thank you for posting them! I know that being born muslim i SHOULD have it all together by now but truly faith is somethin that is gradual.. And islam is in my heart and inshallah may allah guide me on the right path. My family all read five time prayers altho not all wear hijaab. I will keep checking on this thread for spiritual motivation and i want to start reading some of the hadiths when i get back from holidaying in egypt. I am breast feeding my son and inshallah want to do so till two years old. Someone mentioned a book by mariama ba, i'd LOVE to read it if u still have it!
Welcome Natalie - It is nice to meet you. May Allah guide all of us, Insha-Allah.
Old 01-11-2008, 01:27 AM

Assalam Alaikum Ladies!
I'm new to MDC, and this thread also. My name is Amani. I'm the daughter of convert parents and a mommy to a DD who is 23 m/o. She'll be two on February 6! I am also expecting another LO in April, inshAllah. I have been married since 2003, and I live in Atlanta. It's great to find a tribe of fellow Muslimas.
Old 01-12-2008, 04:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by amaniesa View Post
Assalam Alaikum Ladies!
I'm new to MDC, and this thread also. My name is Amani. I'm the daughter of convert parents and a mommy to a DD who is 23 m/o. She'll be two on February 6! I am also expecting another LO in April, inshAllah. I have been married since 2003, and I live in Atlanta. It's great to find a tribe of fellow Muslimas.
Wa'alaikum Assalam:

Welcome Amani!

Does anybody have any favorite Muslim fiction?? I liked "If I Should Speak" by Umm Zakiyyah... loved Marjane Sartrapi's two "Persepolis" books (wanted to mention them due to the movie)... really enjoyed Kavita Daswani's "Salaam Paris"... and right now I just started "The Girl in the Tangerine Scarf" by Mohja Kahf. (My youngest looked at the cover and said "that's you Mom-Mom." LOL... I wish I looked that good.)

Mom to DS(8), DS(6), DD(4), and DS(1).  "Kids do as well as they can."

Old 01-13-2008, 07:09 PM

Asalamu Alaikum Sisters.

It has been real quiet around here. I am so excited that I found a Halaqa to attend. Since moving to this area, I have not really met any people. I was so thrilled when a Sister approached me after Jummah prayer and asked if I was new and if I wanted to attend her class. So I went this morning and it was GREAT! I may actually learn to read the Quran this time, Insha-Allah. I have started and stopped several times. May Allah give me patience to follow it through this time!

I pray all of you are well.
Old 01-14-2008, 01:45 AM

Assalamu Alaikum Sisters:

With ashoura coming up Insha'Allah next week, I was wondering if any of you had a recipe for Ashoura/Noah's Pudding that you'd like to share. I tried to make it once for my husband when we were first married, but it was a disaster. I'd love to try again this year for my husband and kids.

:

Thanks!

Old 01-15-2008, 04:14 AM

as salaam alaikum sisters...been MIA for a while. *waves to Mame Fati
today is my due date and, alas, no baby. good to see the thread is still going strong!
Old 01-15-2008, 12:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by arizona_umi View Post
today is my due date and, alas, no baby. good to see the thread is still going strong!
I will make Du'a for a easy labor and a beautiful healthy baby!
Old 01-15-2008, 12:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by umsami View Post
Assalamu Alaikum Sisters:

With ashoura coming up Insha'Allah next week, I was wondering if any of you had a recipe for Ashoura/Noah's Pudding that you'd like to share. I tried to make it once for my husband when we were first married, but it was a disaster. I'd love to try again this year for my husband and kids.

:

Thanks!
Walaikum Salam -

I am embarrassed to say that I had to look up what Ashoura was after you posted this. Can I ask if you are Shia or Sunni? It seems that maybe this is a bigger "holiday" with the Shia's. Just curious. I do remember fasting on that day. I would love to taste some of that yummy pudding!! : Good luck finding a recipe. If you find one, please pass it on!
Old 01-16-2008, 01:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by arizona_umi View Post
ARIZONA UMI!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Salam sis, seeing your post on here brought a smile to my day.
Glad the baby did not come early! I was worried about you for a minute when you hadn't posted in awhile. Inchallah she will come soon...did I say she? Praying for you and your family.

So, my heart has been so heavy recently. My best friend of 10 years, the sister who brought me to Islam, brought me to Senegal, and who I met my husband through, passed away tragically in a car accident on the 21st of December. She and her family were travelling from Mali to Senegal for the holidays when their car flipped ejecting her and killing her instantly. All 3 of her children were unharmed. She had taken off her seat belt for just a second to hand something to one of her boys in the backseat when their tire popped causing the car to roll. She was only 41, and had 3 boys 7, 9, and 11. She died on her youngest boys birthday, the day he turned 7. She also died on a Friday and the day Senegal was celebrating EID. 7 days after her death, on my birthday december 28, Senegals religious leader of the Mourides, Serigne Saillou Mbake passed away at the age of 92. He was the last living son of the pacifist saint Amadou Bamba, who is the reason why Islam captured my heart. I am so sad and still in a lot of denial. She was flown from Mali to Memphis, where her family is from and buried there on the 27th. I attended the funeral, flying to Memphis for the day and leaving my LO for more than 5 hours for the first time! That was hard. Mommas, please pray for me and her family, our hearts are so heavy and our view so clouded by tears.
Thanks for reading, if you got this far!!
Peace and Blessings to all of you and may we be grateful for each moment!
Old 01-16-2008, 11:21 AM

Mame Fati - - I am so sorry for your loss. May Allah forgive her of her sins and grant her Junnah, Insha-Allah.

Whenever I hear a story like that, it really makes me think about how we never know when our time is. I really need to be sure that I am praying properly and on time, everytime. We never know when our last prayer may be. May Allah protect us all.
Old 01-16-2008, 09:22 PM

Thanks Mame Aminah-
I appreciate your words. I have never been more sure of anyone's place in paradise like that of my dear friend. She touched hundreds upon hundreds of people and was truly an angel on earth.
Old 01-17-2008, 02:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mamefati28 View Post
Thanks Mame Aminah-
I appreciate your words. I have never been more sure of anyone's place in paradise like that of my dear friend. She touched hundreds upon hundreds of people and was truly an angel on earth.
Mame Fati, may Allah have mercy upon her.
It always hits me so hard when young mothers die. Before I had kids, there were times I'd wish to die. Not like I was suicidal, but I felt like I just wanted to meet Allah and leave this world. I felt like the people around me would cry but that I did not serve any distinct purpose for anyone so they would move on. But now that I have kids, it's so different... I really value my life and I pray Allah gives me the time to raise them properly and be there for them (and if not, that Allah provides guidance and sustenance for them somehow).
Subhanallah, life is so beautiful. May Allah help us serve Him and live out whatever good He wanted from us in this life so He may have mercy on us in the next.
Old 01-17-2008, 03:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mama Aminah View Post
Walaikum Salam -

I am embarrassed to say that I had to look up what Ashoura was after you posted this. Can I ask if you are Shia or Sunni? It seems that maybe this is a bigger "holiday" with the Shia's. Just curious. I do remember fasting on that day. I would love to taste some of that yummy pudding!! : Good luck finding a recipe. If you find one, please pass it on!
Wa'alaikum Assalam:

We're Sunni... so although Ashoura is a day of fasting, it's not because we are in mourning for the Prophets grandson (raa).

I found two recipes. One is a Turkish one, which sounds delish!
http://www.yogurtland.com/2007/02/16...udding-ashura/ They call it noah's pudding because it's said that these ingredients were left in the pantry of the ark when the water's receded.. so to celebrate... they cooked them all together and made this dish.

http://www.interfaithdialog.org/inde...d=76&Itemid=86

Quote:
The Great Creator, because of His All-Compassion toward them and all humanity, sent Noah to guide them. Noah called them to believe in One God, made sure that justice was established and maintained, and eliminated all evils in the society, as did Moses, David, Solomon, Jesus, Muhammad and the ones whose names we do not know, but believe in. "The Prophet Noah called his people to the religion of God for nine hundred and fifty years. When his people insisted on unbelief and persisted in their wrongdoings, God ordered him to build an ark. After completing the construction of the ship, Noah embarked in it, upon God's command, of each kind two, male and female, his family-except those against whom the Word (of punishment) had already gone forth,-and the believers". (Qur'an 11:40). When the waters of the great Flood began to recede, the Prophet Noah and his family gathered up all the remaining dry beans and wheat on the Ark and made a delicious pudding.

Ever since that day, Muslims prepare Noah's Pudding every year according to the Islamic calendar. The pudding is made by mixing dry beans and wheat together, and is then shared with neighbors and friends.

Sharing Noah's pudding is a symbolic representation of the unity and essential relationship of humans to one another and to their Creator. Preparing the Noah's pudding is a common practice among Muslim and Christian people around the Mediterranean.

People prepare the pudding at home and send a bowl to each of the neighbors in their neighborhood. As tradition goes the residents of forty houses to your east, west, north and south are considered neighbors. One has the responsibility of maintaining good relations with their neighbors regardless of what their religion or beliefs may be.

The other is from an Egyptian cookbook I have called "Dining on the Nile"

5 cups water
1 cup pelted wheat
3/4 cup milk
1/4 cup or to taste sugar
1/4 cup golden raisins
1 tsp cinnamon
1/4 cup coconut
1 T rose water
2 T slivered almonds

In medium stockpot, cook water and wheat over low heat until tender (approx 2 hours). Add the raisins, cinnamon, coconut, rose water, and almonds during the last 5 minutes of cooking...then add milk and sugar to taste.

I don't have any pelted wheat... so I may adopt a recipe for bulghar pudding I have by adding the raisins, coconut, almonds, etc. I may just make fancy rice pudding too.

Old 01-19-2008, 08:10 PM

mamefati28:
I'm so sorry to hear about your friend. May Allah (swt) grant her Jennah, and protect her from the punishments of the grave (amin).
Old 01-19-2008, 08:10 PM

HAPPY YOUM ASHOURA, EVERYONE!!

My husband is fasting, but I'm not. i just made 27 weeks pg! How's everyone doing?
Old 01-19-2008, 11:36 PM

Thank you mommas for all of your kind words and prayers.
Hope all of you and yours are healthy and happy.
Salam-
MF
Old 01-22-2008, 11:47 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Walaikum Salam -

Salaamu alaikum wr wb

I just wanted to mention that Ashoura is pretty big for some sunni's as well.
At the *predominantly sunni* masjid my husband and I attend (and son as well) the Turkish community (who is majority sunni) has a big potluck theday of ashoura and makes Noah's Pudding for all who come. Its a BIG deal for them.

In Iran Ashoura is a big deal, but neither dh nor I are into that, I usually just put on a black scarf and we fast that day.
Old 01-23-2008, 12:07 AM

UmmIbrahim,
Assalam Alaikum,
I was just reading your blog, I'm new to baby wearing. I'm pregnant w/ my 2nd, but I never really wore my first. I tried and thought she didn't like it and gave up, but now I realize I was using a totally bogus carrier :-(. anyway, I was looking at the site you got your ring sling from, and I'm wondering, what are the benefits/drawbacks of stretch vs non stretch fabric?

For this little One, I plan to use a Mai Tei for everyday, and maybe a wrap, but a ring sling might be nice for occasional use.
Old 01-23-2008, 01:08 AM

Assalaamu alaikom. :-)

I'm a Muslim Mama too......... I'm in the babywearing group, but I rarely post. Actually, I'm finished babywearing for awhile. My daughter is almost 2 and my back just isn't that strong. My husband does carry her still, but he too is very tired.
Old 01-23-2008, 11:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by UmmZahra View Post
Assalaamu alaikom. :-)

I'm a Muslim Mama too......... I'm in the babywearing group, but I rarely post. Actually, I'm finished babywearing for awhile. My daughter is almost 2 and my back just isn't that strong. My husband does carry her still, but he too is very tired.
Welcome! I see in your siggy that you are - Congratulations!! I pray that you have a very healthy pregnancy!

Where do you live? I am in the Rochester New York area.

Look forward to getting to know you!
Old 01-24-2008, 10:10 PM

Oh, my siggy...actually, I misscarried almost 3 months ago and haven't been on to change it.

I live in Toronto, but I'm from TX originally. I converted almost 6 years ago. I've been married for about 4 years. Right now I'm studying for CBE and Doula w/ Childbirth International. I'm semi crunchy. :P Nice to meet you guys.
Old 01-25-2008, 12:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by UmmZahra View Post
Oh, my siggy...actually, I misscarried almost 3 months ago and haven't been on to change it.

I live in Toronto, but I'm from TX originally. I converted almost 6 years ago. I've been married for about 4 years. Right now I'm studying for CBE and Doula w/ Childbirth International. I'm semi crunchy. :P Nice to meet you guys.
I am so sorry about the miscarriage! May you have peace that Allah is the best of planners.

I reverted about 10 years ago and have been married for about 9 years. I am originally from Michigan and just moved to New York a few months ago.

Good luck in your training. We need more support like this for Muslim women.
Old 01-25-2008, 01:03 PM

Quote:
I reverted about 10 years ago and have been married for about 9 years. I am originally from Michigan and just moved to New York a few months ago.
Assalamu Alaikum:

I reverted about 10 years ago...and am also originally from Michigan, now in NY.

BTW... did you all hear that Al Hediya is closing?? I'm so bummed.

Old 01-25-2008, 03:33 PM

Quote:
Assalamu Alaikum:

NOOOOOOOOO!!! This can't be true???!!!???

I LOVE Al Hediya!!! Why are they closing?? This is just terrrible!!

So anyway...

Where did you live in Michigan? I grew up in the thumb and then lived in Flint for a few years and then moved to the Detroit area for a few years and then moved to Lansing for a few years. I really loved Lansing and found such a wonderful Muslim community there. Insha-Allah, one day we can move back.

Where are you in NY now? I am in the Rochester area. It is fine but just doesn't feel like home.

Hmmm - now I am off to check out the al hediya website to check for sales.
Old 01-25-2008, 05:19 PM

Sadly, c'est vrai. They're discounting everything and expect to close by June. I have no idea why. I would think that if the Sister running it is tired of doing so, she could easily find somebody wanting to buy the shop.

I grew up in a suburb of Detroit... so not too exciting. Now, I'm in Brooklyn. NYC is weird in that there are so many Muslims, yet they are so segregated. I actually prefer smaller communities which are more mixed in background.

Old 01-25-2008, 07:24 PM

Quote:
Sadly, c'est vrai. They're discounting everything and expect to close by June. I have no idea why. I would think that if the Sister running it is tired of doing so, she could easily find somebody wanting to buy the shop.

I grew up in a suburb of Detroit... so not too exciting. Now, I'm in Brooklyn. NYC is weird in that there are so many Muslims, yet they are so segregated. I actually prefer smaller communities which are more mixed in background.
I lived in Southfield for 4 years. I really hated it. I could not find a Muslim community where I fit in. I went to the Masjid in Dearborn because I lived worked there but felt out of place because I was the only American among all the Arab Sisters. It could have just been me because I was new to Islam. I also didn't like the traffic in the area either.

Sorry to hear that you aren't finding a community in NYC. I totally understand the wanting a smaller community with diversity. This is exactly how Lansing is. They have people from every background. I totally "fit in" there. The community I currently am in is mostly Pakistani, however, I am starting to feel comfortable there.
Old 01-26-2008, 01:39 AM

Quote:
Eek ... I literally just found that site this week! I must have bookmarked them all of about five minutes before they posted they're going out of business.

Does anyone know other online sellers with high quality clothes? I've never purchased clothes online -- I'm highly wary of buying things I've not seen in person yet, you know? -- but I'm badly in need of at least a new abaya, and am currently living where the local option means laying out more than I can afford for custom made pieces. I'd really appreciate some "bought there, loved it" recommendations.

Has anyone bought from al Hannah?
Old 01-26-2008, 01:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Liquesce View Post
Eek ... I literally just found that site this week! I must have bookmarked them all of about five minutes before they posted they're going out of business.

Does anyone know other online sellers with high quality clothes? I've never purchased clothes online -- I'm highly wary of buying things I've not seen in person yet, you know? -- but I'm badly in need of at least a new abaya, and am currently living where the local option means laying out more than I can afford for custom made pieces. I'd really appreciate some "bought there, loved it" recommendations.

Has anyone bought from al Hannah?
I was going to recommend al Hannah. I have bought one abaya there and LOVE it!! It is even better quality than al Hediya. I have bought from desertstore.com and would NOT recommend them. Their clothes did not fit me or my husband very well. They seemed to be cut narrow in the chest/shoulders/arms area.

User Tag List