Pagans: Mabon/Autumn Equinox ~mini-camp~ - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 24 Old 09-13-2007, 03:38 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
i felt drawn to put this together, so here it is! :

Mabon or Autumn or Fall Equinox... also called Harvest Home, Harvest Tide (i love those!) it is one of the least celebrated sabbats-- which seems odd to me! we have many fall birthdays in my family, so it has always been a time of festivity... and since it is the beginning of the whole fall-winter collection of holidays, which i love, i simply adore mabon!

it is especially important to me this year after the wild & crazy summer we seem to have all had! a time of equal light and dark, it is also the time the sun enters libra, sign of balance. it is a time to bring balance to our lives, and ready ourselves for the calmer time of winter. since it is also the moon time of virgo, which rules healing, i find it very fitting to focus on this balance of self, and heal any wounds from the summer, before the peace of winter. i know i need it!

I like the description on this site:

Quote:
The Autumn Equinox not only brings us again to a time of balance, but also to the second harvest. This is a time of preparation for the cold months ahead. We take our cue from the balance of day and night and resolve to equalize within ourselves anything that we believe to be "tipping the scales". It is important to strive toward a balance of mind, body and spirit during this time in order to be prepared for the sometimes depressing, colder months ahead.

The nights grow longer and colder now. The Sun God is overtaken by the darkness which will reign supreme from until Yule. The lengthening nights cause the Goddess to grow tired and weak and she prepares to sleep through the long Winter.

To help His children survive the coming season, the Green Man returns to the Earth, sheds His leaves and vines and is reborn as the Horned God with the antlers and fur of the animals He must protect. Thus begins the reign of the Horned God, Father and Protector of those trying to survive the long, cold nights.
I also like what this site says:

Quote:
Mabon is considered a time of the Mysteries. It is a time to honour Aging Deities and the Spirit World. Considered a time of balance, it is when we stop and relax and enjoy the fruits of our personal harvests, whether they be from toiling in our gardens, working at our jobs, raising our families, or just coping with everyday life. Take time out to look at your life and reassess where you are going, what you have so far achieved and what it is that you are still seeking.

At this festival it is appropriate to wear all of your finery and dine and celebrate in a lavish setting. It is the drawing to and of family as we prepare for the winding down of the year at Samhain. It is a time to finish old business as we ready for a period of rest, relaxation, and reflection.
for the welsh-minded: there is some fun mythology here, and also this:

Quote:
In the rhythm of the year, Harvest Home marks a time of rest after hard work. The crops are gathered in, and winter is still a month and a half away! Although the nights are getting cooler, the days are still warm, and there is something magical in the sunlight, for it seems silvery and indirect. ...And we move closer to the hearth, the longer evening hours giving us time to catch up on our reading, munching on popcorn balls and caramel apples and sipping home-brewed mead or ale....

For a grounding, why not take some time each day between now and then to imagine taking a walk thru your favorite woods, or along a tree lined path....
A bit on Trees from the OBOD... Druid tree lore, and a wonderful article on the healing powers of old forests.

Quotes:
Everyone must take time to sit and watch the leaves turn. ~Elizabeth Lawrence

I cannot endure to waste anything as precious as autumn sunshine by staying in the house. So I spend almost all the daylight hours in the open air. ~Nathaniel Hawthorne

Autumn is a second spring when every leaf is a flower. ~Albert Camus

There is a harmony
In autumn, and a lustre in its sky,
Which through the summer is not heard or seen,
As if it could not be, as if it had not been!
~Percy Bysshe Shelley

Ideas for things to do:
gather & dry herbs
make bread from scratch
make ale, mead, or wine.... (or just drink some, yum!)
walk in the woods and gather fallen items~ it's supposed to be a very powerful time to make a wand, if you are so inclined
bless trees and the garden with wine~ we're going to go to my mountains and bless both trees that survived a fire, and new seedlings planted to reforest parts that were destroyed.
fall gardening: if your garden, like mine, still feels very "summery," maybe plant a pot of fall plants... we did one with some millet, and it really helps me to have something that *looks* like fall.
decorate gravestones with leaves and pinecones~ or your alter, along with photos of your ancestors
or otherwise just decorate with fall things!... leaves, gourds, apples, grapes, pinecones... what other things do you think of when you think "fall"?

Food & Libations:
roasted grapes (from sunset magazine): roast bunches of grapes on a baking sheet at 350*, turning occasionally, until juices carmalize, 40 to 5 minutes. serve with baugette toasts and blue cheese

grape dessert (also from sunset): fill a shallow ramekin with a single layer of halved grapes. spread thickly with whole milk greek yogurt. sprinkle generously with dark brown sugar. broil 6 inches from heat until sugar is bubbling, 3 to 4 minutes.

my easy squash pasta: make a pot of your favorite pasta. meanwhile, cook a bag of frozen butternut squash either in the microwave or on the stove (i find it holds up better in the microwave). make a sauce of white wine, garlic, and chili flakes. mix sauce into pasta. top bowls of pasta with the squash, sprinkle with parm, and drizzle with balsamic.

my favorite fall libation is PUMPKIN ALE! i havent seen it out yet, but i imagine it will be very soon! (ok, as i was typing this, DH came home from the store with the first of the pumpkin ale, huzzah!) there are many regional varities (buffalow bill's is my fave)... i know some are less loved than others... so if at first, etc... keep trying! i also love pinot noir this time of year....

Music for your celebration: for the celtic minded, especially, i love altan's "harvest storm" this time of year! (you can hear snippets at the link)

potions, insence, etc... i'm hoping one of our more potions minded ladies (clay~) will have some suggestions.... i do love a pot of mulling spices simmering away, though!

ok, my time is up! now you add yours!
blessed be!
#2 of 24 Old 09-13-2007, 03:40 PM

yea! How fun!

Thanks for doing this!

wife to my awesome DH, homeschooling, unassisted birthing, food growing, life loving mama to 5 crazy monkeys. :
#3 of 24 Old 09-13-2007, 04:16 PM

Aweynsayl~ Thank you! Wow- your post is beautiful! I'll be back...

treehugger.gif  Mama of three daughters chicken3.gif
#4 of 24 Old 09-13-2007, 05:36 PM

Ahhh...Harvest Home, I love it!

Off to find her fall decorations....

Dhjammin.gif, Me knit.gif, DD 10 REPlaySkateboard04HL.gif, DD 7 cat.gif, DD 4 joy.gif

We reading.gif, homeschool.gif, cold.gif, eat.gif, sleepytime.gif not in that order

#5 of 24 Old 09-13-2007, 11:50 PM

Geez way to make a girl from down under long for autumn woman! In full spring mode at the moment here but I'm gonna c&p your post to save for later if you dont' mind?

Pagan  lovin'  WOW playing mum to 5 boys in the wonderful land of Oz ... FOR THE HORDE! hehehe
#6 of 24 Old 09-14-2007, 01:08 AM

*subbing* thanks so much for this! we are going to a drumming, but that's about all i'd planned so far

Freethinking Earth-mama of five. uc.jpg

#7 of 24 Old 09-14-2007, 02:08 AM

What a great thread! I just love this time of year SO MUCH...it is by far my favorite.

Subbing!

stillheart.gif = Pariah, Super Mom + The Amazing Wiggy (1/06)superhero.gifangel.gif  (6/08)  52 Projects: 0/52  Decluttering Challenge: 37/2013

#8 of 24 Old 09-14-2007, 02:58 AM

Subbing. Thank you so much for posting this.

Elizabeth, Proud Pagan wife, and mama to DD - 10/30/01, DS1 - 01/08/04, DS2 - 03/22/07, my twin DDs -08/08 and our new little DS3 - 06/11/10
#9 of 24 Old 09-14-2007, 02:36 PM

Thank you thank you thank you!

My favorite season is growing here each day and I certainly need the balance and crisp cool clarity that is the gift of autumn!

More later...I've got some really yummy mabon recipes.

Be pretty! Be practical! Be Pagan! Visit Pagan Hearth & Home!
 mama to lady.gif(4/05), hearts.gif(6/07vbac), diaper.gif(8/09vbac), and babygirl.gif (9/11vbac)

#10 of 24 Old 09-14-2007, 03:55 PM

Ohh some time to turn inward after summer is much much needed here. I love fall! Great stuff there, thank you so much.

"The true measure of a man is how he treats a man who can do him absolutely no good."
peace.gif  Embrace the learning that is happening within the things that are actually happening!    
#11 of 24 Old 09-14-2007, 07:05 PM - Thread Starter

thanks! i had fun doing it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CariOfOz View Post
Geez way to make a girl from down under long for autumn woman! In full spring mode at the moment here but I'm gonna c&p your post to save for later if you dont' mind?

oh, cari, i was in my garden thinking about my post and i remembered you, and i felt so bad! yes, please! save it for later.
#12 of 24 Old 09-14-2007, 08:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by aweynsayl View Post
thanks! i had fun doing it.

oh, cari, i was in my garden thinking about my post and i remembered you, and i felt so bad! yes, please! save it for later.
lol don't feel bad! Very shortly you guys will be envying ME as I'm out in the garden picking fresh tomatoes from the vine and nibbling strawberries :

Pagan  lovin'  WOW playing mum to 5 boys in the wonderful land of Oz ... FOR THE HORDE! hehehe
#13 of 24 Old 09-14-2007, 09:50 PM

From Cooking Like a Goddess-

Quote:
Blessings of the first frost to you
Blessings of the goose-stitched sky
Blessings of the trees in sunset glory
and warm hearth at end of day.

Blessings of the harvest set before you
Blessings of the food that brings comfort
Blessings on the fire that stays within you
Blessings on the fire that cannot stay.
Crisp Corn Tarts with Autumn Greens:
1 c unbleched flour
3/4 c fine cornmeal
1/2 tsp salt
10 tbls butter/margarine
2 tbls shrotening
5 tbls ice water
2 tbls olive oil
2 garlic cloves
9 c coarse chopped greens (kale, swiss chard, spinach, turnip, rabe)
1/2 c chopped hazelnuts

to make the shells--- combine flour, cornmeal, salt and cut in butter and shortening (till it looks like coarse cornmeal). Sprinkle with cold water and stir till dough holds together. Roll into a ball, wrap, and put in the fridge for an hour.

Sprinkle work surface with cornmeal, roll out dough as thin as possible. Push dough into tart pan/muffin tin. Bake 10-20 minutes till crisp. Cool slightly and remove from pan.

Heat olive oil, add chopped garlic and stir. Add greens and stir often till greens are tender and fragrant. Salt to taste and fill the shells with the greens. Top with chopped hazelnuts and serve immediately.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Three Sister Harvest Stew:
2 tbls olive oil
1 chopped onion
4 garlic cloves
1 carrot, cut in 1 inch chunks
3/4 butternut squash, cubed
1 can beans (garbanzos are good)
1 cup white corn soaked overnight the simmered till tender (you can sometimes find white corn in the canned food aisle, or purchase indian corn and prepare the same way by soaking/simmering. Or just use regular corn)
1 tsp crumbled dried sage (WARNING- sage can lower milk production so if you're a low supply mama skip this bit!)
1 dried chipotle pepper (optional)
salt to taste
1/4 c chopped parsley

In a large stew pot heat the oil. Add the onion and garlic and saute till tender. Stir in carrot, squash, beans, corn, sage, pepper, and salt. Cover with stock and simmer till squash is tender (or just keep it going in a crock pot all day/all night adding liquid as necessary. Mike adds a little dark beer to the liquid BTW).

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Persephone Salad:
Pomegranate seeds
Curly red lettuce
1 crisp apple

Arrange the leaves on a plate, sprinkle with pomegranate seeds and slice the apple so you can see the "pentacle" (remove the seeds and be careful when eating these slices)

Blend olive oil and apple cider with some salt and pepper to make a yummy dressing.

mama to lady.gif(4/05), hearts.gif(6/07vbac), diaper.gif(8/09vbac), and babygirl.gif (9/11vbac)

#14 of 24 Old 09-14-2007, 09:54 PM

Wonderful post! Subbing. . . .
#15 of 24 Old 09-14-2007, 09:54 PM

The story of Demeter and Persephone in this cookbook includes the fact that Demeter is heartbroken and lost till Baubo makes her laugh (Baubo pulls up her skirt and shows off her privates in a totally rude/slapistick way).

So the mabon ritual given in the book includes making a sheela-na-gig as a kitchen guardian.

Quote:
Sheelas are shamless goddesses, with vulvas proudly displayed. They make wonderful kitchen guardians, icons of the sacred gateway of life and the sacred strength of female sexuality
Quote:
Sheelas remind us of the belly laugh by reminding us of Baubo, who cheered up Demeter in the throes of the very first autumn depression. Your sheela is bound to evoke some humor and womanly power in your kitchen.

#16 of 24 Old 09-15-2007, 12:21 PM

Great story! I love the Sheela-Na-Gig figures. There is a interactive map of the Sheela-Na-Gig figures in Great Britain at this site- see the map link on the left. Click on the red dots to see images. How I would love to visit the Sheela on Kilpeck Church near Hereford! Note: this is an interesting website that does not agree with theories that the Sheelas are Pagan in origin. Personally, I do not agree or disagree with this web site- I include it because of the nice photos. Like Native American rock art, we may never know what they "mean".

Do you all change your desktop picture to suit your mood and/or the seasons? I do and I love the pictures on this photo blog. He has some spectacular fall images!

Great recipes, Clay! I will have to make the corn tarts!

Here is one of my favorite autumn stews:Groundnut Stew

Blessings to all!

#17 of 24 Old 09-15-2007, 06:15 PM

Love Autumn/Harvest time! I just got a thrill while going outside today. The leaves are turning colors and the weather has cooled. As I took each step, I heard that wonderful crunch and the scent of fallen leaves was in the air.

We'll be going on a nature walk (we have a great walking path near us that is flanked by woods/trees) tomorrow.

I'm also going to get my crockpot ready and find some yummy vegetarian recipes.

Next Saturday we are going to a Pagan Pride day. Dc will get to make a wand. I know dc is going to be absolutely thrilled about that (massive Harry Potter fan).

Independent Consultant- Thirty One Gifts www.mythirtyone.com/ShopLiz

Origami Owl http://lizcioci.origamiowl.com

#18 of 24 Old 09-16-2007, 12:48 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by CariOfOz View Post
lol don't feel bad! Very shortly you guys will be envying ME as I'm out in the garden picking fresh tomatoes from the vine and nibbling strawberries :
lol, ok, that's fair.

Quote:
Originally Posted by wombatclay View Post
Persephone Salad:
Pomegranate seeds
Curly red lettuce
1 crisp apple
Arrange the leaves on a plate, sprinkle with pomegranate seeds and slice the apple so you can see the "pentacle" (remove the seeds and be careful when eating these slices)
Blend olive oil and apple cider with some salt and pepper to make a yummy dressing.
i love it! knew you'd have something utterly delightful!

Quote:
So the mabon ritual given in the book includes making a sheela-na-gig as a kitchen guardian.
i was admiring a sheela the other day... stumbled across one, probably while preparing my post, actually! what does is suggest using to make one?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Salvia View Post
Do you all change your desktop picture to suit your mood and/or the seasons?
yes! constantly! off to look, thanks!
#19 of 24 Old 09-16-2007, 10:38 PM

I have to say...it sounds a bit funny, but the Cooking Like a Goddess book is seriously one of my favorite ritual books as well as a damn good cookbook.

Her chapter on the Autumnal Equinox talks about balance (she describes watching the "spiral dance of the leaves" and learning from the trees how to release things we no longer need and find beauty in that letting go) so she suggests weeding through the kitchen to get rid of things no longer used.

She also suggests choosing a bowl to keep filled with water...as the water evaporates we need to refill it and the ritual of filling the water bowl provides a chance for us to meditate on the need to constantly refill our soul's well. (for the equinox, hollow out an apple and float a candle in it)

She presents a version of the Persephone/Demeter myth in which Persephone chooses to eat the pomegranate seeds intentionally so that she can still experience her mother's love/protection while also claiming her own power/queenship.

One exercise she offers is to hold a pomegranate (symbol of autumn's journey into the underworld) in one hand and an apple (promise of life returning in the spring) in the other. With eyes closed meditate on the two fruits...their scent, weight, texture, what choices you've made that lean to one or the other, where your own balance lies between the two.

And there's an amazing pomegranate meditation...if you can find the book I recommend it! It could be adapted to be a first blood ritual too (something I've already started to think about for my dds).

Oh, making sheela...she doesn't give ideas, but salt dough seems apropriate for a kitchen goddess. Sculpy, beeswax, bread...even just a painting (made with pomegranate or beet juice perhaps?) come to mind as interesting options. I'm really liking the beeswax actually...

#20 of 24 Old 09-17-2007, 12:48 AM

Beautful thread. I wish I'd found it even sooner.
#21 of 24 Old 09-17-2007, 03:36 AM

Quote:

She also suggests choosing a bowl to keep filled with water...as the water evaporates we need to refill it and the ritual of filling the water bowl provides a chance for us to meditate on the need to constantly refill our soul's well. (for the equinox, hollow out an apple and float a candle in it)
I like this very much! Thanks for sharing it

"The true measure of a man is how he treats a man who can do him absolutely no good."
peace.gif  Embrace the learning that is happening within the things that are actually happening!    
#22 of 24 Old 09-17-2007, 10:17 AM

Mabon/Autumnal Equinox is my favorite holiday because I love the fall so much! Here are some things I do with my boys:

We walk a labyrinth. Although where I live now I do not know where one is.

We make a meal that reflects the season. This is usually the first day I make chili. The kids participate in the meal preparation. A blessing is said over the meal.

This is a time of balance and so a personal inventory is in order. What has our harvest brought us? If it is a particularly good year we need to give more. If it was a thin harvest...why?

I journal about what I am thankful for. I journal about what I need to do to bring balance to my life. I love to feel gratitude fill my soul.

I collect food to give to the food bank from friends as well as my own pantry.

I change my summer nature table into an autumn nature table after a walk in the woods.

I buy an autumn candle.

I tell my children the story of Persephone. They are so sick of it. I need a new story.

I do some sort of craft with the boys. I don't know what I'm going to do this year.

I pick a fall and winter handcraft project.

I have a ritual with family.

I take some time in the evening to go outside alone and meditate with nature.

I clean for the season throughout the week. Every season I do a quarterly cleaning and my house never gets cluttered. Here's what I do:

I go through every closet, every drawer and get rid of things I no longer need. I pull out winter clothes, figure out what fits, what doesn't and take an inventory as to what I should buy and what I should donate, or sell. All old papers are filed away or recycled. I decide what books I need to buy, sell, and donate.

I clean baseboards, blinds, and kitchen cabinets.

Blessings to you all mamas!
#23 of 24 Old 09-17-2007, 06:29 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
I have to say...it sounds a bit funny, but the Cooking Like a Goddess book is seriously one of my favorite ritual books as well as a damn good cookbook.
yeah, i've been thinking i need to look for it! i love the bowl idea, and the leaves, uncluttering idea.

mama kass-- i do that too! though more frequently than just each season...

i have been feeling a need to declutter, but we dont have much left (moved last year to a much smaller place and purged probably 80% of our stuff...)! i think though that part of it is the... ritual... of it. going thru everything, even if you dont get rid of much, it still gets the energy flowing. i've been having slight remorse over something i'd gotten rid of, so maybe getting rid of more will actually help!

we're going to the mountains friday for tree blessings/leaf gatherings... i am feeling the need to prepare for that experience! maybe i shall sort thru things this evening.... after my squash dinner! :
#24 of 24 Old 09-17-2007, 08:54 PM

I thought I would share some favorite children's books for this time of year:

Wild Child by Lynn Plourde

Children of the Forest by Elsa Beskow

Autumn: an alphbet acrostic by Steven Schnur

Autumn Equinox: celebrating the harvest by Ellen Jackson

And for the mama...How about The Aphabet of Thorn by Patricia McKillip?

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page