Catholic Mamas Fall '07 - Page 15 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 11-27-2007, 10:52 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by starry_mama View Post
Try not to stress about it. You are not confessing to the priest, but directly into Christ's ear. Also, make a list. It sounds silly, but that way you won't forget anything (which I do a lot when I'm nervous) and it will give you something to hold onto! Bring the Act of Contrition with you too, if you're worried about forgetting.
Thank you for the support - and I will definitely take your advice.

Catherinepraying.gif traditional Catholic mama to bikenew.gifjammin.gifdiaper.gif wife to an amazing man.selectivevax.gifnocirc.giffamilybed1.gif

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-27-2007, 10:55 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by moonshoes View Post
Thank you for the support - and I will definitely take your advice.
I used to get really really anxious about confession. To the point of not being able to go. Now I love to go. I even go face to face now!
Old 11-27-2007, 11:23 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by moonshoes View Post
I made an appt. for confession for a week from Saturday. I'm very nervous, I haven't been to confession since I was about 12 years old, and I have a lot to confess, including something very serious so I am very nervous about what the priest's reaction will be. I'm sure it will be fine and I know it will be a great relief to finally unburden myself.
I'm sure it will be fine too I agree with starry_mama about making a list and bringing an act of contrition (our parish has them posted on the kneeling, but the parish I confessed at Saturday didn't, so I had to ask for one from the priest). Also, I find it helpful to start with the hardest thing for me to confess and just get it out of the way. I hope it goes well
Old 11-27-2007, 11:24 AM

Quote:
I used to get really really anxious about confession. To the point of not being able to go. Now I love to go. I even go face to face now!
Oh I'm totally not there yet! Face to face scares me! I'm glad the option is there for people who prefer it, though
Old 11-27-2007, 12:01 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by CherryBomb View Post
Oh I'm totally not there yet! Face to face scares me! I'm glad the option is there for people who prefer it, though
Our church has confession for an hour before each Saturday afternoon mass, and no matter how early I go, there is always such a huge line, that I'm always last or next to last. So by the time I get in for confession, the priest is standing up in the confessional (like where you would do face to face) because he is in a rush to start mass. He is an awesome priest to go to confession to, no matter what your penance is, it always includes saying "I love you Jesus" in from of the Tabernacle. Usually there is also a part of a rosary too, but I love that he tells people to say "I love you Jesus".
Old 11-27-2007, 12:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mum4boys View Post
Well I could use some prayers.
As you all know Liam has not been doing well. We were waiting to get into GI at Children's. Well our doctor did all kinds of test on Liam just to make sure something else was not going on. Well something else is going on. Liam has a parasite and something wrong with his pancreas. He is not absorbing fat whether this is a symptom of celiac's disease or not we are not sure. He got into the GI clinic and will be seen next Tuesday.
He still is pretty much just lays around and does not eat.
I hope he's better soon. We'll be keeping him in our prayers.

Sarah has her annual appointment with the allergist today. Hopefully no new allergies show up. Wish us luck!

Mama of three.

Old 11-27-2007, 02:14 PM

Quote:
Our church has confession for an hour before each Saturday afternoon mass, and no matter how early I go, there is always such a huge line, that I'm always last or next to last. So by the time I get in for confession, the priest is standing up in the confessional (like where you would do face to face) because he is in a rush to start mass. He is an awesome priest to go to confession to, no matter what your penance is, it always includes saying "I love you Jesus" in from of the Tabernacle. Usually there is also a part of a rosary too, but I love that he tells people to say "I love you Jesus".

Aww, that's so neat! This priest had me meditate on the Gospel reading for Sunday because he really felt like it spoke to the underlying reasons for my sins. He was a great confessor, he really saw right through my sins to what was really going on!

Our parish priest is really good about penance, he'll give you a suggestion and then say "Is that okay?" and ask if you want to add anything or anything like that.

Prayers for those that need them!
Old 11-27-2007, 02:31 PM - Thread Starter

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by elmh23 View Post
I hope he's better soon. We'll be keeping him in our prayers.

Sarah has her annual appointment with the allergist today. Hopefully no new allergies show up. Wish us luck!
thank you...saying a prayer for ya.

Heidi
Old 11-27-2007, 07:02 PM

(Update)

I posted about dh being frustrated and not wanting to put any $$ towards the Church (agnostic) - and how upset I was as it is not how he is, at all. Well - during our Thanksgiving travels, we were discussing something (I don't recall what, relationship of friends/family where the dh is "the boss" I think) and dh was really disparaging about the lack of partnership in the marriage and why the wife was putting up with it. I told him that's how I'd felt when he'd said he didn't want to give any $$ to the Church, and he apologized and said we'd figure out what we could give.

Liam is in my prayers! I'm sorry to hear that there are more concerns; hoping that this is the point where things begin to be under control there.

I love confession, but it's only 1 hour/week here, during dd2's nap. I haven't gone in years. I need to make an appointment I guess. The priests are so strapped for time; we used to have three at this parish and now we just have two.

Not all who wander are lost.
Old 11-28-2007, 12:58 PM

I'm glad to hear your dh is willing to compromise elanorh!

I hope you can make it to confession soon.
Old 11-28-2007, 04:04 PM

Totally OT, but starry_mama, I have to ask, was your siggy line in response to something someone said, or was it out of the blue? I giggle everytime I see it!

Quote:
"I want you to wonder about a butt crack." ~Danny (3.5)

Single mama to DD 10/18/03 and DS 9/15/05 

Old 11-28-2007, 04:11 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by mkcmommy2003 View Post
Totally OT, but starry_mama, I have to ask, was your siggy line in response to something someone said, or was it out of the blue? I giggle everytime I see it!
He was on the phone with my mom, and he kept saying he wondered about something, and she asked, "what do you wonder about?", and he said "funny things", and then he said, "Mimi, I want YOU to wonder about a butt crack." I have no idea what it means but its hilarious. We all say it all the time now.
Old 11-28-2007, 07:47 PM

That's hilarious!!! I think I'm going to laugh about it even more now when I see it

Single mama to DD 10/18/03 and DS 9/15/05 

Old 11-29-2007, 12:17 PM

Do any of you watch EWTN? They have this show called "Wow!" that is so cheesy, but DD LOVES it! It's so cute!

Catherinepraying.gif traditional Catholic mama to bikenew.gifjammin.gifdiaper.gif wife to an amazing man.selectivevax.gifnocirc.giffamilybed1.gif

Old 11-29-2007, 12:23 PM

I love EWTN but I don't like the children's programming! DD1 doesn't either.
Old 11-29-2007, 02:05 PM

We don't have cable but I really want EWTN. Dd loves those cheezy shows.

Dd is THREE today! Happy Birthday Sarah! And Daddy is coming home tonight so we'll be having a nice dinner of corn dogs with mustard (dd's pick.)

The allergist appt went fine and I have to go get her blood taken. He's testing her for peanuts, soy (to check the levels on), garbanzo beans and shrimp.

Mama of three.

Old 11-29-2007, 08:40 PM
Banned

Please keep my dad in your thoughts and prayers. I don't know the details, but he needs to have some sort of heart surgery soon, possibly January. I am going to be in SD on Dec 18 and plan to invite myself along to his doctor appointment with the cardiologist on the 19th. He will be 72 the end of January. I am scared and realize for the first time that my parents are indeed getting older thus so am I.
Old 12-04-2007, 03:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Potty Diva View Post
Aw, thanks mamas. I don't feel foolish in a really negative sense, more silly than foolish and it gave me a big giggle.

I did talk to our nun and she was all for it and very encouraging (I told her when she offered me a piece of her eggnog bread- oh goodness!)

And, I have been eating dairy during this fast without remembering I shouldn't be. Oy!

So I am going to modify the fast to adhere to the Orthodox tradition.

My intentions continue to be growing closer to Christ and I don't think a change in the fast will change that, and heck I might be a little more coherent and retain memory a bit more (although the loss of memory had started long before this
Hey Potty Diva,

I saw this link today and wanted to pass it along to you. I saw that the Kitchen Madonna was doing something called Philip's Fast and I googled it and remembered that you were fasting this Advent. This link has good ideas for the fast.

--Jessica

Mom to Dom age 11, Joe age 7, and baby Maddie. love.gif

Old 12-08-2007, 02:26 PM

December Thread

Analisa, Mama to Meg 12/12/01, Patrick 12/24/03, Catherine 12/24/03, Ben 2/26/06

User Tag List