Pagan Names and naming ceremonies - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 5 Old 07-28-2003, 06:31 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Ok Jsut curious here....

If you are pagan did you/will you give your chidl a pagan name AND a legal name or are you naming your child the saem both legally and with it's name s/he will be wiccaned/named with?

We gave our children the names they told us (both DD and teh one arriving soon) so I'm curious as to whether other pagan parents are doign the same thing.

Both are girls and named for Goddesses at their (the kiddo's nto the Goddesses) request
#2 of 5 Old 07-31-2003, 06:43 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
I intend to use their given names as on birth certificate in the naming ceremony. With the exception of firstborn son, who will be named after his father unless he's born on the 22nd of Sept., none will have Christian names, though not necessarily Pagan/Heathen ones, either. Instead, we're drawing names from literature for first names and non-Christian family names for middle names. If it's a boy, he'll be James David unless as mentioned above he's born on the 22nd, then I'm naming him Frodo. If it's a girl, she'll be Luthien Mya, Luthien being the name of an elf in The Silmarillion by J.R.R. Tolkien and Mya being my best friend's name with the letters rearranged (She's Amy).

breastfeeding, babywearing, homeschooling Heathen parent to my little Wanderer, 7 1/2 , and baby Elf-stone, 3/11!

#3 of 5 Old 08-01-2003, 01:38 AM

Both our kids have a "spirit" name that isn't on their birth certificate. It just happened that way. Don't necessarily know that the next one will have one too, though I suppose it will. Her name came through almost immediately though.
#4 of 5 Old 08-04-2003, 12:18 AM

Both my girls have names that could be interpreted as Pagan, but when they are grownthey can pick out a name that is right for who they are.
#5 of 5 Old 08-06-2003, 12:57 PM

I don't have a tradition of double naming. I think naming ceremonies are great though. I would have a private one if I had more children.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page