prayer or poem for woman in labor/heading into labor? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 9 Old 10-10-2007, 10:19 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
A dear friend has passed her "due date" and is now in that time of waiting (advent) for her baby to be born. As I wrote that, the thought occurred to me that perhaps I could find an advent prayer or poem that would be meaningful for her now... Anyway, she is nervous about going too far past her due date and being swept into the stream of medicalized birth... I told her I would pray for her that her baby would come in the right time. So I'm on the look out for poems or prayer that would be an encouragement to her, and that would also let the baby know that she/he is most welcome here. Let me know if you have any ideas! TIA!
#2 of 9 Old 10-11-2007, 11:54 PM - Thread Starter

I haven't been able to find anything! I think I'm going to have to write something myself... Any input at all on what helped you throught that time of waiting that happens in early, early labor? (I had an emergency c-section 8 weeks early, so I never went through that! )
#3 of 9 Old 10-12-2007, 01:43 AM

I have prayers for a woman in labour, but they're rather specific to my denomination, so they might not be what you are looking for.

Quote:
A faithful angel, a guardian of soul and body, do Thou vouchsafe him. Protect, keep, strengthen, and shelter the child of my womb until the hour of his birth. But conceal him not in his mother's womb, for Thy hands fashioned him. Thou gavest him life and health.

O Lord Jesus Christ, into Thine almighty and paternal hands do I entrust my child. Place him upon the right hand of Thy grace and through Thy Holy Spirit, sanctify him and renew him unto life everlasting, that he may be a communicant of Thy heavenly kingdom.

O all-merciful Christ our God, look down and protect me, Thy handmaiden, from fear and from evil spirits that seek to destroy the work of Thy hands. And when my hour and time is come, deliver me by Thy grace. Look with compassionate eye and deliver me, Thy handmaid, from pain. Lighten my infirmity in the time of my travail, and grant me fortitude and strength for birth-giving, and hasten it by Thine almighty help. For this is Thy glorious work, the power of Thine omnipotence, the work of Thy grace and tender-heartedness.

My most gracious queen, my hope, o Mother of God, the joy of those in sorrow, help me for I am helpless. Intercede and pray to thy Son, Christ our God, that He lighten for me this season while I am with child, and that He ease the burden of heaviness of this thine unworthy handmaiden, and bestow His blessings upon the child to whom I am giving birth. For I know no other help save thee, no other hope save thee, O Mother of God, that will guard and protect me and my child. For by thine intercession and help we send up glory and thanksgiving for all things unto the One God in Trinity, the Creator of all, now and ever, and unto the ages of ages.
#4 of 9 Old 10-12-2007, 01:14 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks, mamabadger! Whata beautiful prayer! I think I could adapt that fairly easily...
#5 of 9 Old 10-12-2007, 04:07 PM

Not specifically birthing but I loved this poem during ds2 pregnancy http://www.unhinderedliving.com/childbirth.html, he was a 42weeker and I came to really treasure those extra days/weeks of just me and him as he grew and blossomed in my belly :
#6 of 9 Old 10-25-2007, 02:34 PM

This is one of my all time favorite poems about childbirth. It's not exactly what you asked for, but maybe you'll still find it relevant and useful. It makes me weepy every time I read it.:

Now That I Am Forever With Child, by Audre Lorde

How the days went
while you were blooming within me
I remember each upon each--
the swelling changed planes of my body
and how you first fluttered, then jumped
and I thought it was my heart.

How the days wound down
and the turning of winter
I recall, with you growing heavy
against the wind. I thought
now her hands
are formed, and her hair
has started to curl
now her teeth are done
now she sneezes.
Then the seed opened
I bore you one morning just before spring
My head rang like a fiery piston
my legs were towers between which
A new world was passing.

Since then
I can only distinguish
one thread within running hours
You, flowing through selves
toward You.
#7 of 9 Old 10-25-2007, 02:35 PM

:

Mama to 9 so far:Mother of Joey (20), Dominick (13), Abigail (11), Angelo (8), Mylee (6), Delainey (3), Colton (2) and Baby 8 and Baby 9 coming sometime in July 2013.   If evolution were true, mothers would have three arms!

#8 of 9 Old 10-25-2007, 02:46 PM

Not a poem per se, but what turns me inside out everytime I hear it is the Lauryn Hill song "To Zion" (her first child is named Zion). It made me weepy from the first time I heard it, years before my DD was born. The lyrics are beautiful, but the song itself is so fierce and powerful. My favourite statement on motherhood, especially this part:

"And I thank you for choosing me
To come through unto life to be
A beautiful reflection of his grace
See I know that a gift so great
Is only one God could create
And I'm reminded every time I see your face"

http://www.sing365.com/music/lyric.n...256BCF000D7999
#9 of 9 Old 10-25-2007, 03:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fiercemama View Post
Not a poem per se, but what turns me inside out everytime I hear it is the Lauryn Hill song "To Zion" (her first child is named Zion). It made me weepy from the first time I heard it, years before my DD was born. The lyrics are beautiful, but the song itself is so fierce and powerful. My favourite statement on motherhood, especially this part:

"And I thank you for choosing me
To come through unto life to be
A beautiful reflection of his grace
See I know that a gift so great
Is only one God could create
And I'm reminded every time I see your face"

http://www.sing365.com/music/lyric.n...256BCF000D7999
I love that song. Actually, I love that album. Actually, I love all her albums. (I'm a fan..can you tell???)

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page