Does the Bible rub you the wrong way? - Page 5 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 10-16-2007, 04:26 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by CherryBomb View Post
What rubs me the wrong way is when people get all high and mighty and horrified over how awful the Old Testament/Hebrew scriptures are; it reeks of anti-semitism, imo.
You may be right. Because the people who usually do are Christian? Are they? Mabye not....Its part of their bible too!

It seems to me that the OT is way way way more violent and gory though. Its hard to handle all that in a spiritual sense. Especially when you belive that God is Good. kwim? Its hard to understand how a Good God would allow all the yucky stuff. ???

That is a VERY small percentage of the OT though. There are a TON of wonderful and positive scriptures in the OT.

And I LOVE the prophetic scriptures. Especially Daniel.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-16-2007, 04:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by transformed View Post
It seems to me that the OT is way way way more violent and gory though. Its hard to handle all that in a spiritual sense. Especially when you believe that God is Good. kwim? Its hard to understand how a Good God would allow all the yucky stuff. ???
Yucky stuff is happening in the world every minute of the day, which I assume a good and loving God is permitting.
Old 10-16-2007, 04:39 PM

It rubs me entirely the wrong way, though to be honest, I'd say it in a much stronger expression. TO go more into it I suppose would stray into UAV territory.

signature currently in transition
Old 10-16-2007, 09:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lilyka View Post
I agree there are some very disturbing things in the Bible. I am forever amazed by humanity's ability to succumb to our lowest impulses an desires. to random people on the road to kings and prophets who know God most intimately. i am also constantly amazed at Gods willingness to redeem and forgive and start fresh. it is hard to know how big and loving and forgiving God is without knowing how low and fallen and perverse man can be.

I guess I can't say "it rubs me the wrong way" because I don't expect it to be all goodness and light. it is the story of falleness and redemption.

it also disturbs me that people feel anything in the Bible is appropriate for reading out loud to children. there are records of some real depravity, perversion and violence.
huh. see, the stories in the bible really don't disturb me. but i suppose i'm de-sensitized just from all kinds of books and stories. the bible is no worse imo than much else. i't doesn't rub me the wrong way either.

Quote:
Originally Posted by transformed View Post

My brother calls the Bible myths too! He's an athiest I think. Are you? If so, welcome! I am not sure if we have heard from any athiests on the subject. :

So do you think that the historical facts in the bible are wrong? (There is ALOT of history that is also recorded elsewhere)
i'm an atheist. i'm sure alot of the historical facts are accurate. 1000 years from now someone reading, i don't know, who is a popular author today? robin cook? they would find real facts in his book too, like san diego is in so cal, this kind of car, that kind of cell phone, etc.

i'm sure some "facts" in the bible are indeed facts, and some not.

sorry about typing, nak at mil's on trip with family.
Old 10-17-2007, 10:44 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by mamabadger View Post
Yucky stuff is happening in the world every minute of the day, which I assume a good and loving God is permitting.
People want free will until other people use that gift to do horrible things. Then they expect God to step in and momentarily strip us of it.
Old 10-17-2007, 01:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CherryBomb View Post
People want free will until other people use that gift to do horrible things. Then they expect God to step in and momentarily strip us of it.
yup. *sigh*

Maggie, blissfully married mama of 5 little ladies on my own little path. homeschool.gif gd.gifRainbow.gif

User Tag List