Beliefs of LDS church? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 15 Old 11-23-2007, 05:48 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I hope this is the right place for this, my H and i are currently seperated and he has been talking about the LDS religion alot, i think he wants to join the church. I just finished reading a book about the FLDS church, out of plain curosity i'm really interested to know what all the belief of the church are, i'd like to know so if my STBX decides to convert then i want to know what my kids will be exposed to.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 15 Old 11-23-2007, 09:25 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
there is a lot of information in the thread "that weird thing they do" thread in religous srtudies . . .but you may not have enough posts for religous studies. . . . i can't remember if that is one of the "special" forums or not . . .

one thing I want to point out though is the FLDs and LDS are two very different things.

The truest answer to violence is love. The truest answer to death is life. The only prevention for violence is for the heart to have no violence within it.  We cannot prevent evil through any system devised by mankind. But we can grapple with evil and defeat it, but only with love—real love.

#3 of 15 Old 11-23-2007, 11:38 PM

Hi,
For LDS (Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints) common questions, see:

www.mormon.org

Also, the general Church website is:

www.lds.org

There you can access all our scriptures, all our talks from General Conference back about 30 years, and all the magazines/talks/articles, as well as lesson manuals, hymns, etc. It's a very complete website, but you have to look around.

Also, you can ask questions here or on the LDS Mamas and Papas thread in this forum.

Becky
#4 of 15 Old 11-24-2007, 01:24 AM

The Religious Tolerance website has several pages on LDS. You might start with:

http://www.religioustolerance.org/lds_beli.htm

This web site offers a nice, well-balanced view of many different religions. They try to present things from all points of view.

Ann-Marita. I deleted my usual signature due to, oh, wait, if I say why, that might give too much away. 

#5 of 15 Old 11-24-2007, 02:46 PM

like Bekka said, you're always welcome to the LDS mamas and papas thread!

Maggie, blissfully married mama of 5 little ladies on my own little path. homeschool.gif gd.gifRainbow.gif
#6 of 15 Old 11-24-2007, 05:45 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks so much for your help! This is a tough time but at least i can learn about the religion and be more knowledgeable.
#7 of 15 Old 11-24-2007, 05:59 PM

Sorry you are going through a tough time :

Mama to 9 so far:Mother of Joey (20), Dominick (13), Abigail (11), Angelo (8), Mylee (6), Delainey (3), Colton (2) and Baby 8 and Baby 9 coming sometime in July 2013.   If evolution were true, mothers would have three arms!

#8 of 15 Old 11-24-2007, 09:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Girlsmama View Post
Thanks so much for your help! This is a tough time but at least i can learn about the religion and be more knowledgeable.

if you have any specific questions please feel free to ask either here or the other two threads or even send a PM to one of the LDS mamas and papas here.

Maggie, blissfully married mama of 5 little ladies on my own little path. homeschool.gif gd.gifRainbow.gif
#9 of 15 Old 04-20-2008, 02:09 AM

I just saw this video which examines the historical accuracy of the Book of Mormon which is inaccurate historically and factually and compares it to the Bible, which is very accurate historically and factually http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G1mFdO1wB08
#10 of 15 Old 04-20-2008, 06:11 AM

It looks like you've already been given some links to our general beliefs. You can ask the LDS Mamas any specific questions in this thread or our regular thread. There's an ex-LDS mamas thread if you want the dissatisfied perspective. Apparently you will also get some anti-LDS perspectives as well
#11 of 15 Old 04-20-2008, 12:52 PM

Here is a site that talks a lot about the historical "inaccuracies" in the Book of Mormon.

http://www.jefflindsay.com/BMEvidences.shtml

Also, here is a link to the Foundation for Ancient Research and Mormon Studies FAQ site. They have a ton of information on there.

http://farms.byu.edu/faq.php

Jeff Lindsay also has a great FAQ page if you are interested.

http://www.jefflindsay.com/LDSFAQ/index.html

Like others have said, you are more then welcome to ask specific questions if you would like and the LDS and FLDS are much much different. I would also be very careful about anything you watch on youtube, that's not exactly the most credible source, not saying there is nothing true on there...just likening it more to wikipedia, since anyone can post anything. If you are anything like me, you would rather have facts with something to back them up. Also, I wanted to add that we believe in the Bible too (and use it all the time), the Book of Mormon is not our only scripture. Oh and one more thing, tired of me yet? Here is a link to the Church's Articles of Faith. The Articles of Faith simply state our beliefs in short little read.

http://scriptures.lds.org/a_of_f/1

Good luck and like I said, we are here if you have questions.
#12 of 15 Old 04-20-2008, 01:52 PM

Quote:
I would also be very careful about anything you watch on youtube, that's not exactly the most credible source, not saying there is nothing true on there...
The church has an "official YouTube" On the last page there are some videos of our beliefs.

#13 of 15 Old 04-20-2008, 01:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by klg47 View Post
There's an ex-LDS mamas thread if you want the dissatisfied perspective.
Yes, that's another place to learn a lot.

Quote:
Apparently you will also get some anti-LDS perspectives as well
My testimony in the church originally came about though anti stuff, much to the dismay of the good friend who was giving it to me.

#14 of 15 Old 04-20-2008, 02:07 PM

I just realized how old this thread is! Girlsmama~ how are things now? I hope better

#15 of 15 Old 04-20-2008, 07:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by magstphil View Post
I just realized how old this thread is! Girlsmama~ how are things now? I hope better
Oh wow lol...didn't even realize I was responding to something that old! Oh well, I hope things are going okay girlsmama. (((hugs)))

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page