LDS Papas and Mamas #48 - Page 11 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#301 of 678 Old 12-15-2007, 04:03 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Leiahs View Post
There is a "rating" with a % under the user name for some skins (like the default tan on tan skin that I use). It's come and gone over the past, it's back again
Ah ... that explains it. I use the blue skin, and I see everyone's moods.

"A mind needs books as a sword needs a whetstone, if it is to keep its edge." - Tyrion Lannister

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#302 of 678 Old 12-15-2007, 04:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NewCrunchyDaddy View Post
I see everyone's moods.
I just realized that that sounds really creepy.

"A mind needs books as a sword needs a whetstone, if it is to keep its edge." - Tyrion Lannister

#303 of 678 Old 12-15-2007, 05:02 AM

DDDDC=Dirty Deeds Done Dirt Cheap. You can pay $2.50 I think to MDC and they will change their title for a week (unless they decide to keep it there longer!). It's for a joke, or to lift someone's mood, etc.

We just figured out how we're going to get out of debt! I'm so excited! AND I think we figured out how to get DH out of physical labor in the next 1-2 years. Woo hoo! It's a really complicated program but it works really well. I'm very excited to get out of debt and get into a bigger house, and have my husband back!

Mama to DD (5) DD (3) and DS (2 months)
#304 of 678 Old 12-15-2007, 05:03 AM

Oh yeah, about arranged marriages... my younger DD is already spoken for, but my older one is in need of a good crunchy guy! But I'm not worried about her being a non-crunchy adult. She goes around nursing her dolls all day long. And I think she nursed her best friend, because she had a red mark around her nipple last time we visited them. Aaaah, 3 year olds. They're so fun.

#305 of 678 Old 12-15-2007, 10:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lacysmommy View Post
Oh yeah, about arranged marriages... my younger DD is already spoken for, but my older one is in need of a good crunchy guy! But I'm not worried about her being a non-crunchy adult. She goes around nursing her dolls all day long. And I think she nursed her best friend, because she had a red mark around her nipple last time we visited them. Aaaah, 3 year olds. They're so fun.
Lacy is one week older than Gabriel.

ETA: here are the boys recent portraits.

Both boys are really great climbers (it's in their genes) and they both love to read and cook, dance and sing.

Gabriel is three years and 5 months old. He likes to perform gymnastics, wants to take a dance class, loves to swim, and he is very sweet and sensitive and chivalrous. He loves playing piano, in fact that's all he wants for Christmas-- a piano. He is artistic. Negative qualities: he is extremely picky to feed and he is awfully sensitive.

Theodore is 13 months old. He LOVES to dance; he just LOVES music. He will eat anything you put in front of him with great relish. (So basically he will make the perfect husband. ) He is very affectionate but also kind of bossy and a little violent. Okay, maybe not so perfect. We're working on the violent part. Theodore is extremely athletic in every way and is extremely coordinated when playing ball. He was walking at nine months. He is large for his age and he has nice broad shoulders.

♥ blogger astrologer mom to three cool kiddos, and trying to figure out this divorce thing-- Blossom and Glow ♥

#306 of 678 Old 12-15-2007, 10:03 AM

DDC is due date club, DDDDC is Dirty Deed Done Dirt Cheap, like someone mentioned before.

♥ blogger astrologer mom to three cool kiddos, and trying to figure out this divorce thing-- Blossom and Glow ♥

#307 of 678 Old 12-15-2007, 12:25 PM

My wedding set.

LTB, when is your older DS's birthday? I don't think I ever added up he's the same age as my DS, whose birthday is July 2. So how about friends as well as spouses? Everybody needs friends too.

Congratulations on getting out of debt, lacy'smommy! It is such a wonderful feeling!
#308 of 678 Old 12-15-2007, 12:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by quarteralien View Post
My wedding set.

LTB, when is your older DS's birthday? I don't think I ever added up he's the same age as my DS, whose birthday is July 2. So how about friends as well as spouses? Everybody needs friends too.
Beautiful wedding set, Bronwyn! Gabe's Bday is 7/30/04. Were you the one who couldn't find her dog? Did you locate him yet?

#309 of 678 Old 12-15-2007, 12:30 PM

Oh, I forgot to add: We found our dog! The animal shelter picked him up in the storm, and I'm ashamed to admit how long it took us to figure out we should call them. In fact, it was a neighbor who suggested it. Anyway, DH is out there now posting bail for him. DS spent so long yesterday tromping around our yard calling for him. It was so sad, because I didn't know what to tell him. They get along well. So we're glad to get him back.
#310 of 678 Old 12-15-2007, 12:33 PM

Okay, that's kind of creepy. I must have picked up on your brain waves or something and answered your question as you were asking it.
#311 of 678 Old 12-15-2007, 01:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NewCrunchyDaddy View Post
I just realized that that sounds really creepy.
I think you read too many horror stories. They're invading your brain.

Quote:
That's beautiful!
With the talk of wedding rings, I'm wanting to see 1)wedding/engagement pics of you all if you have them and 2)"How we met stories" The real ones, Jenni! The ones on your blog crack me up. But, seriously, I love these. I'll get my pics scanned and tell my story soon.

Quote:
Oh, I forgot to add: We found our dog! The animal shelter picked him up in the storm, and I'm ashamed to admit how long it took us to figure out we should call them. ... So we're glad to get him back.
Yay!

Let's see, my boys...
M is 9 and has tons of allergies, so his wife will need to love cooking or they could be a couple where he stays home and she works maybe. He is very creative and wants to be an inventer. He loves reading, cuddling and spending time with family. He is great with babies. He is very scatter brained. Honestly, he is going to need a saint of a wife I think!
G is 3. He is extremely athletic and wants to be a breakdancer. He is also a cuddler and loves to snuggle babies. G enjoys spending time naked in the mud and loves to garden.
E is 3 months. He is a total boob man. He enjoys laughing and having long conversations late into the night. He is pretty physical as well and I predict another early walker in him. Nude is also his favorite state of being. My youngest 2 will save their future wives lots of laundry.
#312 of 678 Old 12-15-2007, 03:09 PM

Quote:
Congratulations on getting out of debt, lacy'smommy! It is such a wonderful feeling!
Hey, not out of debt yet, just have a plan!

#313 of 678 Old 12-15-2007, 05:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RasJane View Post
I'll get my pics scanned and tell my story soon.
That's part of the problem. It wasn't that long ago, but long enough that digital cameras were just not very common at all. So I'd have to scan stuff, and I'm not sure where I'd do that. But stories, sure. I'll get back on that.
#314 of 678 Old 12-15-2007, 06:06 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
I love wedding rings that break from 'traditional' and do something more personal!
We were considering getting one of those wraps for my wedding band, but were having a hard time picking what stone...the jeweler suggested that some women like to do their birthstone and their hubby's birthstone together...I think that would work with almost any two stones...EXCEPT for ours, january and july, garnet and ruby. They would just look like a really badly matched pair... so scratch that idea! We went with no stones.

jenni

~Jenni, rural frugal Alaskan, eternally married to Dragon
loving my wild things DS Wolf (12), 3 angels, DS Bear (6) & DS Eagle (3)

#315 of 678 Old 12-15-2007, 06:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RasJane View Post
With the talk of wedding rings, I'm wanting to see 1)wedding/engagement pics of you all if you have them and 2)"How we met stories"
I'll have to see if I can scan somw pictures in. I'm computer illiterate though, so it may be a while.

As far as how we met, I'll tell if you promise you'll all still respect me later. (Wow, that sounded bad didn't it!) I was just starting my senior year of college, and had just gottten back from spending a summer working at a music camp in Michigan. I had a relationship with a boy there, and he totally broke my heart- I thought for sure we were going to get married, and I was having a really hard time leaving Michigan (I loved it there) and having a hard time with the break up. I cam home to Utah, and every single one of my close friends was engaged or married. Two of my roommates were getting married, and everywhere I looked there was wedding talk, or people that had already dropped off the face of the earth because they got married. I was lonely, discouraged, and swore that I was never dating again.

I had thought about going on a mission the year before, but got a "no" answer, so I decided that this was going to be hte year that I was prepping for grad school. I was investigating schools, filling out applications, and had sent out letters of recommendations for people to fill out. I had thought about going to a family ward, but realized I needed to have some kind of social life, so my one single roommate asked me to come to the new singles ward with her. We went one night to ward prayer, and she was off talking to people, and I was muttering under my breath about having to make small talk with a bunch of people I didn't know. So the guy I was sitting next to satrted talking to me, and we did the whole run down- what's your name, what's your major, etc. When I told him that I was majoring in violin performance, he asked me to marry him. He was joking, but he had been to the symphony the night before, and loved the violins.

A few Sundays later, we ended up sitting next to each other at a combined RS/Priesthood meeting, and he asked me out afterwards. I really, really didn't want to go, because I was so sick of dating and relationships that went no where, but decided that one date wouldn't hurt.

The rest goes down in singles ward cliche history. Our first date was ona Saturday, by Monday, I knew we were going to get married, and by the next Saturday, we were officially engaged. The best was telling people that I was engaged, and them saying "I didn't even know you were dating anyone." and then me saying innocently, "I wasn't!" We were the talk of the ward for a few weeks, and they made us speak in church the week before we got married. (Gag!) All the bishopric memebers and their wives we so proud of us- it was like we were a sucess story for them.

My parents thought we were crazy, and to be honest, if I were a parent whose dd got engaged after a week, I would think it was crazy too. But up until then, I had been the queen of long relationships that went nowhere, and I was so determined that I was going to graduate school. to this day, I think that if it had taken any longer, I would have said forget it to the whole thing and left the state for grad school.

We celebrate our eighth anniversary in March. Thanks for the trip down memory lane!

kMy ring is more traditional- yellow gold with a round diamond, but its pretty small and simple. I don't like to take it off when I play violin, so it needed to be something unobtrusive. Dh sometimes talks about getting me something bigger, but like most of you, I would knock him over the head if he spent thousands of dollars on jewelry for me! I'm just not much of a jewelry person.

So who's next? I love these stories!

Violin teaching, doula-ing Mom to Abby, (8) Ashlynn, (6) : and Max (11/13/08) Diagnosed with Metopic Craniosynostosis. First surgery 5/1/09, Second surgery March 2010.
#316 of 678 Old 12-15-2007, 06:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by alisaterry View Post
Thank you for all the pm's of support. I'll gladly be the loudmouth any time.
This is a form of bullying. You're setting up an in-crowd out-crowd situation.
#317 of 678 Old 12-15-2007, 06:36 PM - Thread Starter

We met online. That's why we make up other, more exciting stories...

The truth about our engagement is here and a pic too...

jenni

~Jenni, rural frugal Alaskan, eternally married to Dragon
loving my wild things DS Wolf (12), 3 angels, DS Bear (6) & DS Eagle (3)

#318 of 678 Old 12-15-2007, 06:38 PM

Love your story Stacy! Yours isn't the quickest engagement I've heard of, but it was quick! It obviously worked though.
Okay, I decided to forget about getting the pics on the computer. I'll just tell our tale. I had just started my second year at BYU, fall semester 2000. I had put myself into the "Unsuccessful second daters" club, since I had a string first dates that went no where. So unattached, not expecting to be.

Our first FHE of the new school year was going to be at my apartment. I had a job feeding horses at the barn where my horse lived (yes, same horse, all through these years!) So I got home late, and not looking my most attractive in very tight riding breeches and with bits of hay in in my hair. I made quite an entrance Kurt was among many of the guys there and introduced himself and said something about Australia (where he served his mission) and meeting other Bronwyns there. I honestly didn't pay much attention. there were other guys there that were louder and demanded more attention.

Then a few Sundays later at church, I went to Gospel Doctrine, and Kurt was the teacher. Someone had a comment and he responded by saying "Yes, and there is something similar to that idea in Plato's Republic." So we'll just get it out now that both he and I wear our brains on our sleeve. Well, he caught my attention with that comment, and I spent the rest of that semester trying to get his attention again. He casually dated someone else in our ward, but that didn't go anywhere.

Over Thanksgiving weekend, we were among the few students who didn't go home, so we spent quite a bit of time together. We saw a movie at the dollar theater, and he helped us decorate our apartment.

In December, I started to get the impression that I needed to prepare to be endowed. I talked to him about this and he said later that that was the first time he got the impression that I liked him. Apparently I had been too subtle.

We went home for Christmas, and I emailed him and told him about the temple. He emailed back and said that he was in L.A. (where I'm from) visiting a friend, and it occurred to him that I lived nearby and would I like to meet up. I think I still have that email saved. It made me just weak to think about. So he came to my house and met my parents, but more importantly, he met and passed the dog test. Our dog hadn't liked any of the boys I brought home in high shcool. He loved Kurt. We went to the botanical gardens and that's what we count as our first date.

When we got back to school, we walked to school together everyday and started a real relationship. Summer came, and he went home to work, and I stayed in Provo and went to school. The next school year started, and no one could figure out why we hadn't left and gotten married. In November of 2001, nearly a year after we first started dating, Kurt proposed to me in front of the Provo tabernacle and we set the date for May 4, the week after we would both graduate. We always thought it was interesting that in our 6 month engagement, we knew a couple who met, started dating, got engaged, and got married, and we were still engaged. It was long yes, but it was the right thing for us to do.
#319 of 678 Old 12-15-2007, 07:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by emma_goldman View Post
This is a form of bullying. You're setting up an in-crowd out-crowd situation.
I really don't care.

ETA - notice how many people started posting again once that whole thing was finally over...
#320 of 678 Old 12-15-2007, 08:24 PM

PS - anyone else have relatives that, despite your pleadings and even providing a wish list, still insist on sending your children crap? My Uncle and Aunt always send Thomas The Train stuff. Connor doesn't like TTT. They're pretty determined though, and I don't get it.
#321 of 678 Old 12-15-2007, 10:00 PM

Brian got a job at The Body Shop at the mall when he was 16, to "meet girls". He moved on to more lucrative highschool jobs, but he maintained his friendship with the sweet and motherly manager and would stop in and help her out on shipment days. I was in CA at the time, we had never met. The year we were both 18, I had just moved to NH, and I got a job as the assistant manager at The Body Shop. So that's how we met. Neither of us were LDS. Brian offered me a ride home a few times and then asked me out to dinner. : It was the most perfect first date I'd ever had (and at 18 I was actually dating a lot.) So that was pretty much it. We started taking the discussions about a year later, and then got baptized and got engaged and got married. due to the nature of our previous relationship before we started taking the discussions and all, we felt it was best to get married soon rather than waiting a year to get married in the temple.

Here I am at The Body Shop when we had just started dating. Here's Brian around the same time.

Here we are at our wedding. Having fun. I was a brand new member and I thought that dress was very modest, btw. I had no family in the church to help me out with that sort of thing.

Here we are several months later on the day of our sealing! We were pregnant with Gabriel at the time.

Okay, I hope those links work.

Gosh, when I look at those pictures, we just look like babies!

#322 of 678 Old 12-15-2007, 10:29 PM

Eek, I can't see your pics--they say they're private.

Alisa, yeah, my mom buys all kinds of crap for my kids. This year, she called and told me what she had bought for G. I told her to take it all back and try again. It has helped immensely to have gift lists on the blog. I told them that if they couldn't stick to the lists, or at least the theme of the lists, they would be banned from giving gifts. Period.

How we met.
We love to tell people that we met because we lived together. It's true. I was upstairs and he was downstairs in our small honors dorm at college. I had just broken up with my boyfriend of 3 years, and he had just broken up with his girlfriend of 2.5 years. Obviously, to be dating that long, we were both too serious. He was inactive, and I was fairly ant-mormon. Didn't even realize he was a member until I was too smitten to care.
Anyway, I saw him at check in and thought he was very cute. But I had sworn off serious relationships and figured I would just enjoy the selection of cute guys at college with no strings.
As it turned out, we had a history class together. I casually found ways to walk with him and sit next to him. One day, on the way back from class, he asked me what I would say if he asked me out. I told him I'd probably say yes. He started planning the date. I stopped him and said "what date? You haven't asked me out yet!" So he did. This was September. By November we were planning a wedding. Not really our wedding, just a wedding. We were in town shopping and I stopped at a bookstore. I bought a Bride's magazine. The clerk asked me if we were getting married. I said yes and darted out of the store. So on our way back to campus dh was teasing me so much, then asked if we were really getting married. I responded with something along the lines of "why not" I think.
He wrote a letter to my Dad asking for my hand in marriage. Our parents flipped because we were just freshmen in college and had nothing. I guess they got used to the idea. We get along pretty well with our inlaws-me better than him, but then his mom is awesome. We were married in June of 1996 in a nature preserve in Boise. I converted a couple years later and we were sealed in Dec 1998 with M when he was 6 weeks old.
We have a Christmas party in an hour, so I'll post pics on my blog later, either tonight or tomorrow.
This is fun--I love these stories. They are so fun!
#323 of 678 Old 12-15-2007, 10:40 PM

Okay, I fixed them.

P.S. RasJane, you are my new presents-hero. I did pretty much the same thing this year. I only allowed them to one present (in fact dh's family we told them they could all pool together to get him only ONE present between all of them--) and it had to be something we okayed beforehand. They were pretty upset about it but we stood firm. I told them that even if they tried to spring a surprise in front of the kids, I would be fine being the bad guy and taking it away and saying, "sorry, you can't have that". I was a little afraid I was just being an *itch, but I just didn't care! Actually, I tried to be polite about it. But I absolutely mean it!

#324 of 678 Old 12-15-2007, 10:48 PM

Just finished your story, Ras. I love it! So cute!

#325 of 678 Old 12-15-2007, 11:56 PM

Caitlin, you are GORGEOUS! Love the pics!
I related to your story, Sarah. Kurt and I teased each other a lot about not being engaged, when we both knew it was pretty much a foregone conclusion. Ah, sweet memories. Thanks for starting the idea.
#326 of 678 Old 12-16-2007, 12:38 AM

Our story: I love remembering it. My best friend and I went to a missionary farewell of a friend of hers. This was Dec, I was 17 and a Senior in high school. The missionaries brother, Bryan, spoke and I thought he was really cute and funny. I was very very disappointed when she decided not to go to their house for the little get together afterwards. So I forgot about him after a few days. Then in Feb we went to Stake Conf and sat on the front row. Bryan was on the stand with his ward choir. I told my mom who he was and pretty much stared at him for most of conf. After that I really couldn't stop thinking about him. Since I was a Sr I was able to start attending a few YSA activities and I always went hoping He wasn't at the first few (he was on vacation), but then he started coming. Then something really awesome happened. We hadn't even had a conversation yet. I was sitting on my bed doing my homework, or trying to, mostly thinking about him. All of a sudden I had three visions pop into my head. One of him coming home from work and kissing me, one of him blessing our first baby, and one of him playing on the floor with our children. It kinda freaked me out and I called my friend. She suggested I pray about it to see if they were really visions of our future or just my mind. They were definitely from Heavenly Father. I had been writing his brother on his mission and made the mistake of telling him this at some point. That came back to almost bite me later. I remember a YSA activity at Bryan's house before we started dating. We sat in a circle and played this game where you had to look at someone and ask them a question, if they paused, they had to answer the question. Or they could turn to someone else and ask them a question. His old girlfriend turned to me and asked me if I liked him. Totally caught me off guard and it took me several minutes to admit I did. I'm very shy and hate that kind of stuff. Someone asked him, but he was prepared the first time. I think he was the second time, but he faked it so he had to answer. Then several people asked other people questions about when we would finally go out, etc. So we played another game where we each had to write a question on a slip of paper, put them in a bowl, and answer the question you draw out. I asked what the big deal with Bryan and Serenity was. Of course he got it. He said Everyone knew they were to shy to ask each other out and were trying to help them. It was funny, but WAY embarrassing. There were a few little things my mom and her friends did, like at the Ward Easter party had me hold the YW pres brand new baby (like i didn't do that enough on my own!) because they said it would make him think of me as a mother, specifically the mother of his children. He says it actually worked. He came over once or twice for dinner and to play games. We went our for the first time on April 28. I still never hear the end of it. We went to a jazz concert that he thought was on Sat, but was actually Friday, so I missed my 7 year old sisters dance recital on her birthday. I'm not sure exactly when we were engaged. I mean, we picked our day out on June 18, but he never really asked me to marry him then, we just knew we were going to. We were married Oct 20. Oh, when I told his brother about my visions he told Bryan when he called on Mother's day. Bry said it freaked him out at first, but then he calmed down.

That was longer than i meant it to be, but the YSA part makes it funny.

Serenity LDS mommy to 4 rambunctious kidlets
#327 of 678 Old 12-16-2007, 01:23 AM

Seren, that's so cute! I am way to businesslike to ever go through that much hoopla to get a guy to date me!

Actually, that reminds me of how business-like I was about dating. Gosh, I was a weird one. I mean, I was NOT LDS yet, to put this in perspective. But I knew-- at 18!-- that I wanted to get married as soon as reasonably possible and have children while I was still young. (This is not normal, people.) I wanted to marry someone successful (not wealthy, but a good provider) and intelligent who could aptly support me during my mothering pursuits. Of course, I never breathed a word of this to my friends because they would have thought I was foolish and psychologically damaged!!! :

So, anyway, with that in mind, I took dating very seriously. I went on LOTS of first dates. I had a mantra of "say yes to almost any first date because you should give everyone a chance-- you never know." Looking back now, I was so NAIVE and I had some creepy (and potentially dangerous!) first dates! But someone was watching over me, thank goodness. You see, at 18 I was living on my own and so I didn't really have anyone to tell me better or screen my dates. *sigh*

But anyway, I took dating very seriously and even if the chemistry was there, even if the guy was a hottie, if they didn't meet my profile (intelligent, potential to be financially successful, and at least some sort of moral standard) then that was it. This was uncommon among all of my other friends who just dated whoever they thought was hot. There was one guy I had a big crush on and he liked me, too, but I didn't date him because he worked retail for $7 an hour and he never wanted to attempt to make more money than that. I think the idea of providing for a family likely would have skeeved him out big time! I knew it was not compatible with my dreams, so even though I had a huge srush on him, I ignored my feelings. Thank goodness I did.

But I was so heartless sometimes! That is, I never strung anyone along, but I was quite blunt as soon as I knew it wouldn't work out with a guy, and I was so judgemental! I mean, the first time I talked to DH on the phone I thought he was SO STUPID. (He's a really intelligent guy, actually.) He had called to set up the details of our first date, and I expected that any guy who wants to take ME out had better be able to figure out the details-- I certainly wasn't going to do it for him. I was a little short with him on the phone because he kept asking me what I wanted to do. I wasn't rude, but I just didn't give him an inch. I was playing a little hard to get, I guess-- but it's because I really wasn't inot him at all yet. If he had an awkward pause, I didn't try to fill it, let him just sit in his awkwardness. If he was fumbling for a turn of phrase, I didn't stop him to tell him I knew what he was talking about. I just let him stumble over his words. Then I went and talked to my mom after I got off the phone with him, and told her how I was going to have a date with this guy I met, and he seemed nice, but I wasn't too excited about it becuase he seemed kind of stupid and slow. My mom, God bless her forever, said, "Maybe he's just nervous, honey. Maybe he hasn't dated a lot, like you have, and so he gets nervous asking girls out. Give him a chance and be a little nicer to him and maybe he'll open up."

She was right. I called him back later and made an effort to put him at ease. What a difference! He opened up, relaxed, and we discussed the book Siddhartha! (I was so impressed that he could read! )

Another funny thing-- once we started dating, we fell for each other FAST. I realized that I had totally underestimated him at first. And then we had such a tempestuous relationship. : I think we broke up like 3 times!!! We were always having yelling arguments, frequently tearful, and then there were the makeups that involved me running after him barefoot in the snow and him begging for my forgiveness on his knees and blah blah blah . . .

Over nothing! Nothing, I tell you!!!! I mean, there was no cheating or lying or anything going on . . . I really can't remember what was so important. We were so dramatic. Stupid little things we would break up over . . . Oh, and our breakups never lasted more than a few days, either.

Once we joined the church, and got married, we amended our wild ways and now we have a pretty calm relationship. Marriage was definitely good for us that way.

ETA: Aww, thanks for the compliment, Bronwyn!

#328 of 678 Old 12-16-2007, 02:14 AM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 25 Post(s)
We met through an Avril Lavigne website/forums. I was 16 when I joined, and Eric was a regular poster, but just another user name on the site to me, for the longest time. He lived in KY, and I in Seattle. I don't even remember when exactly we started chatting and became friends. I was probably 17, getting close to 18. I developed a little online crush on him.. problem was, he already had a girlfriend (an online one, at that, but he visited her at least monthly. 12 hour drive.) So, I had to wait for him to break up with her first. (Okay, I might have encouraged it a little) Finally, he did, and we were almost instantly a couple. I'm 19 by this point. Every 3-5 weeks or so, one of us was flying out to see the other. After a couple months of this, I started getting a lot of..eh.. disapproval from my family, since he was a nonmember. I knew he was contrary to my goals (temple marriage, etc) but I couldn't help myself. I was so head over heals. Once we'd pretty much agreed that we wanted to get married (yet still unofficially) I started really getting pressure from my older brothers especially, asking if I'd prayed about it. They said if I would just pray about it, then they would support me 100%. I hadn't, because I was sure the answer would be no, and I wasn't ready to hear that and act on it. I finally did. And to my utter amazement, I received a crystal clear, very strong, yes. It was definitely on the condition that I absolutely must set an example, attend all church meetings, do all those things that I need to be doing! After 4 months of long distance "dating" I moved to KY (he was supposed to move to Seattle after he graduated college, but he got a job in KY right away, so I moved) He was baptized in September, and last month he received the priesthood and got to do temple baptisms. We should be able to be sealed next fall! YAY!

Ooh.. when I was moving out here, I took the train to chicago (45 hours on a train!! eeeek) and he picked me up from there (5 hour drive to louisville) When we were driving home, around sunset, he unexpectedly exits the freeway somewhere in rural indiana and pulls off into some dairy (they had like an ice cream stand, but it was closed) there was a big grassy area with a perfect clear view of the sunset. He told me to get out of the car, then walked me into the field a little bit, and had me close my eyes. When I opened them, he was on one knee with a ring in his hand, and asked me to marry him Then we laid in the grass and watched the sunset for a bit. So, here's some pics!

us: http://www.comwired.com/rach/allie/racheleric.jpg
the dairy we got engaged at: (sorry these are so blurry!
http://www.comwired.com/rach/blurrydairy.JPG
the sunset at the dairy:
http://www.comwired.com/rach/blurrysunset.JPG
http://www.comwired.com/rach/blurrysunset2.JPG
and the ring:
http://www.comwired.com/rach/ring.JPG

..and we have an unspoken agreement, that he is to NEVER tell me what that ring costs. I don't want to know.

dd (7) ds (5), ds (2) &3rdtri.gif hbac.gif and the furbabies cat.gifZeus, Dobby, Luna, & Ravenclaw
#329 of 678 Old 12-16-2007, 04:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by alisaterry View Post
I really don't care.
You could add that to your signature - "MDC bully" or "LDS Mama Bully"
#330 of 678 Old 12-16-2007, 04:21 AM

I will add our story soon. . . I've already taken up too much time reading the rest of yours!

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page