LDS Papas and Mamas #48 - Page 15 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#421 of 678 Old 12-19-2007, 04:15 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Alisa, are you using covers you could use a prefold or flat diaper with? My cloth diapers are on baby #4, and most were second hand to begin with, and I was really running low on newborn size. I've been using receiving blankets folded like this http://www.diaperware.com/picturepages/flatfolding.htm (the origami fold). They work great. My babies don't tend to be big on swaddling and people tend to give blankets, so we had a lot extra.

Mom to DS(14), DS(12), DD(9), DS(6), DS (4), and DS(2)  

***4***8****13***17***21****26***heartbeat.gif****35****40

#422 of 678 Old 12-19-2007, 09:30 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I'm so sorry Alisa. When we tried cloth diapering, our second- (or third-?)hand diapers were falling apart, which was frustrating. Plus we didn't like the style of them much anyway, they were just pesky to fasten. they fit poorly no matter what size baby was. : I couldn't afford to buy anything else except the basic kind they sell at Walmart that you have to fold and pin . . . and I can't sew.

We eventually just went to disposables instead.

I'm sorry you have ot deal with this.

I'm also really enjoying reading everyone's stories.

♥ blogger astrologer mom to three cool kiddos, and trying to figure out this divorce thing-- Blossom and Glow ♥

#423 of 678 Old 12-19-2007, 12:40 PM

Alisa, that's rough.
I have a few smalls that ds is growing out of. They're aio's and very boy-ish, but you are welcome to borrow them if you want. He's also growing out of his infant prefolds and covers (also blue).
I didn't get as many diapers made as I would like either. My awesome SIL sewed some newborns for me so I had them when we got home with ds. Right now, I'm feeling good if I can keep up with covers.
I really need to get back to packing. We leave 1st thing tomorrow morning for Idaho. : I just hope E does okay in the car. He's not used to not being carried all the time.:
#424 of 678 Old 12-19-2007, 02:06 PM

I'm sorry Alisa! I'm not in love with my cloth diapers right now, either. We've used Fuzzi Bunz exclusively, and while and LOVED them at first, they have degenerated very quickly. Like, my mediums had the elastic go bad and then the PUL layer started cracking and therefore leaking after only about 6 months. At that point, I switched to Large, which were a slightly better fit for DS anyway, and gave him room to grow. But same thing happened, and now I'm stuck with a 28 month old who is nowhere near wanting to potty train, and has diapers that are not only not snug around the legs (ever seen a boy *completely* miss his diaper? That's fun.), but also have no ability to keep his clothes dry when they do get wet. And yesterday he had diarrhea. I've got about 4 diaper covers, and we went through all of them and then also about 5 pairs of pants. And lots of carpet steaming. I was not a happy camper. But at least I had a washing machine and stuff! Oh the nightmare of diarrhea without a washing machine!

And here I am, planning on sewing diapers for our new baby. Your story is not exactly making me excited! I've worried about how many newborn dipes to actually put the effort into sewing, since the baby will grow out of them so quickly. Maybe I'd be better off, for my sanity, to go with sewing smalls and just doing disposables or used CD's for the newborn stage. I'd hate to put so much work into diapers only to have to do it all over again in a few weeks when I'm busy with a newborn. But the one thing I do feel good about with sewing diapers is that at least if they go bad quickly, I won't feel like I wasted a bajillion dollars. Just sewing time.

Sarah - hope your trip to Idaho goes smoothly!

SAHM to Melinda (Oct '03), Jacob (Aug '05),  Alex (Apr '08), and baby.gif Malcolm (Sept 29, '11)

#425 of 678 Old 12-19-2007, 03:20 PM

I had a very depressing playgroup just now. There was a mom there with her first, a 2 month old boy. I had shared things with the couple about circ, and thought they were on board. Well, I saw him have his diaper changed twice. There's no mistaking it. He's cut. Why why why.
#426 of 678 Old 12-19-2007, 03:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by quarteralien View Post
I had a very depressing playgroup just now. There was a mom there with her first, a 2 month old boy. I had shared things with the couple about circ, and thought they were on board. Well, I saw him have his diaper changed twice. There's no mistaking it. He's cut. Why why why.
I'm so sorry.

♥ blogger astrologer mom to three cool kiddos, and trying to figure out this divorce thing-- Blossom and Glow ♥

#427 of 678 Old 12-19-2007, 03:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leiahs View Post
We've used Fuzzi Bunz exclusively, and while and LOVED them at first, they have degenerated very quickly. Like, my mediums had the elastic go bad and then the PUL layer started cracking and therefore leaking after only about 6 months. At that point, I switched to Large, which were a slightly better fit for DS anyway, and gave him room to grow. But same thing happened, and now I'm stuck with a 28 month old who is nowhere near wanting to potty train, and has diapers that are not only not snug around the legs (ever seen a boy *completely* miss his diaper? That's fun.), but also have no ability to keep his clothes dry when they do get wet.
Holy cow! When did you buy them? My FBs are about four years old and still amazingly reliable. I'm so impressed with how well they've held up to daily use and twice-weekly washings.

We are six: Me : Dh : Ds1('00) Dd('02) Ds2('05) Ds3('08) and, wow! Soon to be seven, Dd2 due 4/23.
#428 of 678 Old 12-19-2007, 05:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KermitMissesJim View Post
Holy cow! When did you buy them? My FBs are about four years old and still amazingly reliable. I'm so impressed with how well they've held up to daily use and twice-weekly washings.
I bought the first set of Mediums when DS was about 6 months old, so almost 2 years ago. The set of Large dipes were purchased maybe at the beginning of the year? I'm having a hard time remembering. Honestly I don't know what did it. I thought for a while that maybe drying them along with the inserts was the cause, so I exclusively line dried the shells for quite a long time. But they still began to deteriorate, so I gave up and just started drying them again (and it stands to note that the dryer our apartment is equipped with only has one heat setting, or air dry. There is no choice for low/high etc., and I believe it's probably set at high or med-high). I've followed the standard protocol of washing routines and ok'd detergents that I've found all over MDC and diapering websites. I can only wonder if my machines are unduly hard on diapers, or if the water is bad or something. But my plan is to skip the FB's with the next baby and try just fitteds with covers. Maybe eventually AIO's. I like cloth diapering, but I hate that mine didn't last like everyone else's seem to. (And I'm also wondering if the new version of FB's would hold up better for me - the ones that I bought that had obviously thicker PUL have lasted a LOT longer than the thinner type.)

SAHM to Melinda (Oct '03), Jacob (Aug '05),  Alex (Apr '08), and baby.gif Malcolm (Sept 29, '11)

#429 of 678 Old 12-19-2007, 06:14 PM

Seriously, either I don't here often enough anymore or you all are talking a lot

I wanted to say with cleaning. For myself since going through the ppd I have come to the conclusion that I do need to pick up. Everything doesn't have to be spotless, but it has to be picked up and as much as possible put in a place. I've been a lot better at taking care of stuff when it happens. I still have about a months worth of coupons waiting to be cut out but the dishes are done and I can see my living room floor

Oh yes, and thanks for the compliments on my picture. I can't remember who said it but the snow was awesome for the pictures We got married the day after Thanksgiving. It just so happened that it was the day of the UofU vs BYU game and we wanted to have it playing at the reception but the church doesn't have channels. It would have been a good wedding video
#430 of 678 Old 12-19-2007, 08:42 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 21 Post(s)
I just bought one of the clearanced FB, and after 3 washes, the elastic in the back is ruined! I've gotten lazy on my wash routine and have been drying everything in the dryer on hot, so maybe that didn't help. I think I might be able to fix it though. Its like it jsut got untacked from one side.

dd (7) ds (5), ds (2) &3rdtri.gif hbac.gif and the furbabies cat.gifZeus, Dobby, Luna, & Ravenclaw
#431 of 678 Old 12-19-2007, 09:44 PM

It just seems so wrong that those aren't lasting. I wonder if they've gone cheapo materials to cut costs? I have covers and diapers that are on the 2nd child that are still just fine. My covers that I used for M and G that are Ls are pretty ratty looking because they got worn for over 3 years total, but the elastic is still fine. And they are just as waterproof-no cracks. I also wash and dry all the diaper stuff together on hot and high heat.
I would contact FB and let them know you won't be buying anymore of their dipes. I think they need to seriously reconsider their manufacturing process! (hmmm sounds like I'm married to an engineer..)
I was going to buy some FB for E, but now I know I'll keep making my own!
#432 of 678 Old 12-19-2007, 09:50 PM

FBs are seriously the worst brand you can buy. The quality varies from one diaper to the next, as does the size. I wish I still had the picture of the 4 medium diapers bought at the same time laid side to side. The different in sizing was insane. Not to mention she uped her prices recently and then moved production to Mexico. Raising prices and lowering costs at the same time. Bleh. She's just a terrible, shady person and I refuse to give her any of my money.

Momma to DS1 4/5/06 nursed with IGT to self-weaning at 27 months, DS2 1/20/09 still nursing, DS3 due late November - planning to tandem with IGT and SNS
#433 of 678 Old 12-19-2007, 10:01 PM

I keep thinking about trying the new bum genius, but I'm skeptical about using velcro closures all through childhood. Our diper covers are all velcro, and DS is very quick to take those off. The snapped FB's have always been able to stay on, though. Swaddlebees also look like I might like them, but I wonder about the leg casing differences...would they hold messes very well? (does it matter? My FB's sure don't anymore!! )

But yeah, I've heard that FB's moved to mexico for production, and I don't like the more expensive pricing. So I doubt I'll go that direction again. I should probably do a new sampler package, but I'm not feeling anywhere near being ready to spend money on a bunch of different diapers at this point in time. I'll see what I can do with my own sewing, first.

#434 of 678 Old 12-19-2007, 10:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moonprysm View Post
FBs are seriously the worst brand you can buy. The quality varies from one diaper to the next, as does the size. I wish I still had the picture of the 4 medium diapers bought at the same time laid side to side. The different in sizing was insane. Not to mention she uped her prices recently and then moved production to Mexico. Raising prices and lowering costs at the same time. Bleh. She's just a terrible, shady person and I refuse to give her any of my money.
What a bummer! I'll just pray my six hold out through another child and then start researching new pockets. I also use and love Happy Heinys, but sometimes my kids get velcro-savvy and remove them. Hee.

We are six: Me : Dh : Ds1('00) Dd('02) Ds2('05) Ds3('08) and, wow! Soon to be seven, Dd2 due 4/23.
#435 of 678 Old 12-19-2007, 10:14 PM

That's why I like making my own. I can control the quality of my materials and my stitching. The first time around I recycled a bunch of NCD's old t-shirts. This time my newborns are organic hemp. The one sizes I want to make are with a lovely sage cotton sherpa - very soft.

There was some controversy with FB because the creator owns a patent on her style of pocket diaper and her yearly license to use it went from $25 to over $300 overnight, pricing out most WAHMs. There was a huge thread about it here a year or two ago, and she tried to explain the change, but it didn't sit very well with most people.

I actually don't like pocket diapers, though I know they are the favorite of most mamas. I do use non-waterproof pockets at night so I can customize the absorbency, but I prefer separate wool or fleece covers. I just don't like having to pull the inserts out. Ew!
#436 of 678 Old 12-19-2007, 10:18 PM

I just shake out my inserts. I find pockets easiest to take out in the diaper bag, easiest for sitters, and easiest for dh (heh). We use covers and thicker GMAR prefitteds at night.

#437 of 678 Old 12-19-2007, 10:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by alisaterry View Post
That's why I like making my own. I can control the quality of my materials and my stitching. The first time around I recycled a bunch of NCD's old t-shirts. This time my newborns are organic hemp. The one sizes I want to make are with a lovely sage cotton sherpa - very soft.

There was some controversy with FB because the creator owns a patent on her style of pocket diaper and her yearly license to use it went from $25 to over $300 overnight, pricing out most WAHMs. There was a huge thread about it here a year or two ago, and she tried to explain the change, but it didn't sit very well with most people.

I actually don't like pocket diapers, though I know they are the favorite of most mamas. I do use non-waterproof pockets at night so I can customize the absorbency, but I prefer separate wool or fleece covers. I just don't like having to pull the inserts out. Ew!
Yeah, I was gonna mention the whole patent thing, but I figured we were talking about quality and I can go on for quite awhile over her horrible business practices. She makes me so angry.

Momma to DS1 4/5/06 nursed with IGT to self-weaning at 27 months, DS2 1/20/09 still nursing, DS3 due late November - planning to tandem with IGT and SNS
#438 of 678 Old 12-19-2007, 11:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by klg47 View Post
We both heartily agree that if we had dated longer, we definitely would not have gotten married. Yet I feel that it was good that we got married. Even while writing this story, I'm mostly remembering the negative things that happened during our dating - I honestly can't remember the good things. But I have a great deal of hope that we still can have a fantastic marriage
Katie, I just wanted to pop in and say this reflects my marriage as well.
I know I'm a day or two late, but I wanted to share my story too, because it's relatively short and I think will be good therapy!

My very first semester of college (my only semester!) I lived in the dorms on campus (even though my parents lived twenty minutes away!). I had just broken up with my boyfriend on Labor Day Weekend. The next week, a friend invited me to go to the YSA Family home evening thing for our Stake. So I decided to go with her. Damian was the Stake YSA Rep. at the time, and was conducting the meeting. He totally ignored me for the first 2 hours of the evening (the lesson and activity). We all went to IHOP afterwards, and he finally asked me my name. I thought he was such a jerk. Although, he ended up giving me a ride home that night b/c his apartment was 10 minutes from my dorm.
I ended up getting rides from him frequently to YSA Activities. we would mostly talk about his plans to move to Arizona the next semester, and I toyed around with moving out to BYU. At one Regional YSA dance (essential all of lower Michigan flocks to Michigan State's campus because there aren't a ton of us here in Michigan!) I was having a bad time because no one would really dance with me. Damian asked me to dance, saying he always made sure to do an obligatory dance with the girls from our stake. I was offended because it seemed like he only danced with me out of pity!
One night, on the way home, he was complaining about being a third wheel with another couple that weekend at a football game. He asked me what I was doing, and I babbled on about some plans I had with my mom. After I got home, I called my mom, and she yelled at me for being naive and informed me that he really was asking me to go with him to the game. So I called him back and volunteered to go with him. I went, and it was a little awkward. I never had thought of him as dating material.
The next weekend was another YSA dance, and we were supposed to drive with some other people, but when he came to pick me up, he informed we were skipping b/c I hadn't had much fun at the last one (partly his fault!) and so we went on a date. Within a week we were an official couple.
5 or 6 weeks after meeting, he proposed. He had gone to the temple with his roommate to pray about it, and had obviously gotten a good answer!
We got engaged October 24th. He had asked my dad for my hand and everything. It was sweet. We got married in the Washington DC Temple Dec. 16th, 2003. Our wedding reception was 3 weeks later.
So, in short, we met the 2nd week in September, got engaged in October, and married in December. It was really hard to get to know someone by being married to them.
But, like Katie said, I know that if we would have waited, we wouldn't have made it at all!

I do have to say, though, that I am a sucker for nice jewelry, and love my engagement ring, despite the heart attack I had when I accidentally opened the Kay Jewelers bill one month and saw the price.

Wife to D (12/03) and totally smitten Mama to DD (4/05) DS (2/09) and expecting DD#2  6/23/11
#439 of 678 Old 12-19-2007, 11:53 PM

bumgenius.. the aplix is pretty weak on ours. Its like the "hooks" got partially straightened. Combine that with the stretchy tabs that constantly put tension on the weak velcro, and they don't stay on. Period. I fasten, and dd rolls over (or I pick her up) and it falls right off. At least they were seconds so I didn't pay much.. oh well.

about swaddlebees, do you find they run small? I got four medium aios when dd was 3 weeks old. Fit perfectly. Now I had/have a chunker, but still! I could squeeze her into nb proraps still at 3 weeks. These days, she's in larges. I'd love to get some more swaddlebees but I don't know.. I'm just afraid they'd be too small, even if I got xl.

dd (7) ds (5), ds (2) &3rdtri.gif hbac.gif and the furbabies cat.gifZeus, Dobby, Luna, & Ravenclaw
#440 of 678 Old 12-20-2007, 01:01 AM

Quote:
And here I am, planning on sewing diapers for our new baby. Your story is not exactly making me excited!
I did cloth diapers for a while and I LOVED the one-size Poo Pockets. You can buy the pattern from newconceptions.com (.org?). They are just a diaper - you'll need a separate cover. But if you're saving money by sewing these, you might be able to spend the money for some wool or other covers. Poo Pockets are truly one size. I did make some Tiny Poo Pockets for my newborn, and I also have big babies, but at the most you would only ever need two sizes. I made mine out of Killington flannel for the body and hemp fleece and cheap WalMart flannel for the soakers.

Quote:
Originally Posted by marlygf View Post
I still have about a months worth of coupons waiting to be cut out
I have been carefully collecting grocery ads for over a month now, so that I can start a price book. I had them put in my personal basket of stuff - VERY NEATLY. The basket looked like crap a couple of weeks ago, but I cleaned it out, and everything was stacked very neatly. Yesterday I got the ads out of the mail and went to put them with my collection. It was GONE! My dh had gone through it and thrown them out!! Why can't he throw out stuff that is truly cluttering the house? : The best he could offer was "oops, my bad". Maybe I'll accidentally throw away his hundreds of 5-year old Popular Science magazines that he never reads!
#441 of 678 Old 12-20-2007, 01:09 AM

Quote:
I also have big babies
I've been calling our baby Smiley McSmilerson but I may have to switch to Fatty McFatterson :. He will be four months old in a week. I weighed him yesterday, and he's 19 pounds!
#442 of 678 Old 12-20-2007, 01:16 AM

I don't know whether I'll have a tiny or a huge baby. DS couldn't even fit into newborn diapers, but then again he was a preemie and FTT. BUT at 4 weeks early, he was 5lbs 8oz. So I'm not sure how huge he would've been had he had those extra 4 weeks to cook. So I don't know if I'll need preemie diapers or just go straight to smalls. lol

#443 of 678 Old 12-20-2007, 01:42 AM

Mine have weighed in at whopping: 6 lbs, 15 oz; 6 lbs, 6 oz; and 6 lbs, 15 oz. All full-term and healthy. We just don't seem to grow 'em big. Ds1 was 20 pounds at 4 months but I blame the formula. My bf'd kids stayed small: dd is barely 30 pounds at 5 years of age and ds2 is about 24 pounds at 2 years of age. Ds1 regulated out; he's 7 and about 50 pounds.

#444 of 678 Old 12-20-2007, 01:53 AM

Okay, I'm going to sheepishly admit that the idea of using wool covers absolutely freaks me out. Maybe I don't understand the type of care they typically take, but my idea is that if and when you get a poopy cover, you're going to have to hand wash it, and then rub lanolin all over it. And *any* time you need to wash it, poop or no poop, it'll still have to be by hand, and lanolin needs to be rubbed in regularly. Please correct me if I'm wrong. Because I love nothing more than being able to toss diapers in the laundry, dry them, and then reuse them later in the day without any other effort. But I know all the great things about wool - antibacterial, super soaking, etc. The care side just intimidates me, a lot.

BTW, I also just got an email from Nurtured Family that says they have the new FB's available now. Some design changes, etc., but their note also says that they are "proudly made in the USA". Makes me wonder. I do love pockets. I love that they're usually very trim, fast to wash and dry, easy for other caregivers, etc. I started out doing PF's and BSWW covers with only a couple FB's for nighttime, but I never did start *liking* the PF's. Now I only use them as backup. And half of the stash has been designated as spill-soaker-uppers. You know, for when someone spills milk on the table. Or pees on the carpet. Or soaks the chair in apple juice. That kind of thing. They are awfully absorbant Just too complicated for me and wiggly kids.

Since we're also talking about size of kids - DD was 8 lbs 7 oz, and DS was 8 lbs 13 oz. Should I even bother with newborn sized dipes?? He was over 10 pounds at 2 weeks, and not far from 15 pounds at 2 months. DD grew very similarly, but was slightly smaller at each of those ages, probably since she started out smaller. I fully expect this baby to be at least as big as my smallest baby.

#445 of 678 Old 12-20-2007, 02:56 AM

dd was 8lbs 14oz at birth. I think she got down to 8lbs 6oz, then was 8lbs 12oz at 5 days, 11lbs 5oz at 2 weeks, 14lbs 8oz at 6 weeks, and 16lbs 5oz at 2 months. So she was born kinda big and grew fast. I still got a few weeks worth out of my preemie sized proraps. She would have drowned in smalls at birth. When she was first born my size small BSWW looked ENORMOUS!

#446 of 678 Old 12-20-2007, 03:01 AM

I'm lazy with my wool. I just put it in the washer on a hand wash cycle and use Eucerin which already has lanolin in it. I don't even have to get my hands wet. I probably could do a better job of taking care of my wool though, because what I do have is completely trashed. But they are 3 years old and I bought them used so that is to be expected! I don't use the wool anymore because I found a new nighttime system that works well for our family-- gDiapers with prefolds stuffed in them. Love it!

During the day we usually just do training pants but if we're going out we definately use diapers-- DD is only 18 months after all! I like AIO's the best. I can't stand pockets at all. They make the diaper too fat, the legs are all weird, and they just don't work with my girls long, thin bodies. But then again I made my own pockets which could be part of the problem. I like AIO's because we do EC, and it's a lot faster than a lot of the other systems out there, and if it's just a teeny miss, I can just get a new doubler to put in the AIO and we're good to go.

I definately needed newborn diapers with both my girls. Smalls were much, much too big for them until they were about 6 weeks old. AND they were large babies-- DD1 was 8 lb 5 oz and 21 inches, DD2 was 9 lb 6 oz and 21 inches. Everything just gapped too much around the legs. Next time I'll be doing EC, possibly from day 1, so I don't know how much diaper wearing we'll actually be doing! I did EC with DD2, but I was a WOHM until she was 11 months old so she's only just now getting really good with cueing, and now we've been sick for about 6 weeks in our home so she's not very reliable. It has cut down our diaper use tremendously, though. I don't do any diapers only washes now, because I haven't had to washy poo diapers in months now, so I'm comfortable just throwing them in whenever I'm doing a "hot" wash (like sheets or whatever).

Mama to DD (5) DD (3) and DS (2 months)
#447 of 678 Old 12-20-2007, 11:37 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
I have wool -- I like Stacinator covers, though I just bought some smalls for R and they aren't felted like the ones I bought a few years ago are. Wool is more work than covers you can toss in the washer, but you don't have to wash them nearly as often. Runny poop is the worst, but if you don't have poop leaks, you don't have to wash them very often, especially if you have a few to cycle through (I have 6 for my toddler, and I wash a cover every few days). I fill a 1-gal container with cool water and a bit of Eucalan wool wash, and then squeeze it around until it's soaked. I let it sit for a while, until I can get to it again. Squeeze it out, then roll it in a towel to dry it. The instructions I've read say that you should lanolize every 2-4 washes and that involves dissolving lanolin and doing a super-soak (I guess), but I just squeeze some lanolin on my hands and put it on by hand. It is sticky, I don't really rub, just pat pat pat pat pat pat pat and work it in as much as I can. My toddler finds them more comfortable than the PUL/cotton covers I have.

Mom to DS(14), DS(12), DD(9), DS(6), DS (4), and DS(2)  

***4***8****13***17***21****26***heartbeat.gif****35****40

#448 of 678 Old 12-20-2007, 11:42 AM

I hand wash and hand lanolize my wool because I only have two covers I switch through. I haven't made any for DD yet, but when I do I can then have a big enough load for a small gentle cold wash in a washer. I like wool because it's soft and flexible and breathable so DS get less rashes than if I use PUL covers at night.

I also like fleece at night but they get stinky a lot faster than the wool.

DS was 7lbs 12 oz and DD was 7lbs 14 oz.

We use mostly disposables right now on DD since I don't have enough cloth and I can't believe how much trash it generates! So crazy!!
#449 of 678 Old 12-20-2007, 01:23 PM

Ok, so what I'm hearing is that I *could* get wool covers and plan on washing them on a cold gentle washing cycle, with Eucerin. If that's the case, I may just try it. Eventually. LOL.

My VT is being such a sweetheart. At 38.5ish weeks pregnant, she is making a grocery shopping trip for me, since my van is undriveable. I felt like such a dork, reading my list to her over the phone, apologized a few times for the extra work it would be putting her through, but she sounded so happy to help. I'm so grateful.

ETA: She bought me cilantro instead of parsley, ROFL!! I'm thinking I'll leave that out of our chicken noodle soup and just go with the tiny bit of dried parsley I have left. You know I would be super annoyed with DH if he made that mistake, but I can ignore it (or laugh about it!) when a very pregnant woman doing me a favor is the one who did it.

#450 of 678 Old 12-20-2007, 03:34 PM

Wow... I've missed a lot. I'm still here, still pregnant, DH has been working from home the past few days and I haven't had a chance to get on the computer.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lacysmommy View Post
I actually started doing Fly Lady a couple of months ago and my house has noticably improved.
I found FlyLady just after DD#2 was born. It helped so much in our little apartment in Provo. I've found a couple other methods I like too... and FlyLady's constant emails became a bit overwhelming, so I've shut them off for now. My biggest problem now is that I can't impliment most of those suggestions while living with my parents. My brothers take turns doing the dinner dishes... so I never get to have that "shiny sink"... and I've found that really does make a difference in my motivation. Also, with my brothers stuff everywhere it's much harder to simply shove all the toys into a basket in the family room... I really need my own place again. I love my parents, and we really are still getting along, even though we've been here 6 months... but I need my own space.

Quote:
I've worried about how many newborn dipes to actually put the effort into sewing, since the baby will grow out of them so quickly. Maybe I'd be better off, for my sanity, to go with sewing smalls and just doing disposables or used CD's for the newborn stage. I'd hate to put so much work into diapers only to have to do it all over again in a few weeks when I'm busy with a newborn. But the one thing I do feel good about with sewing diapers is that at least if they go bad quickly, I won't feel like I wasted a bajillion dollars. Just sewing time.
I started making my diapers about six months ago. I've almost finished my small & medium stashes... and currently have 6 newborn diapers done, but now I'm waiting for the rest of my fabric to ship in January before I can finish them. I've also had tiny babies... so I have no worries about this baby growing out of her newborns too early... I'm actually planning to use disposable until she fits into the newborns.

Quote:
Originally Posted by alisaterry View Post
: I hate pockets for that very same reason.

Quote:
I just shake out my inserts. I find pockets easiest to take out in the diaper bag, easiest for sitters, and easiest for dh (heh). We use covers and thicker GMAR prefitteds at night.
I was never successful at shaking the inserts out... they just wouldn't slide out of the diaper... plus, my super heavy wetters would always thoroughly drench the diaper and there was never any dry spot to hold onto... I much prefer my AIOs where I can just put the dirty diaper in the wetbag, and shake the wetbag directly into the washing machine at the end of the day. (Yes, I wash diapers every day.)

Quote:
I've been calling our baby Smiley McSmilerson but I may have to switch to Fatty McFatterson :. He will be four months old in a week. I weighed him yesterday, and he's 19 pounds!
That's awesome!! Sometimes I wish my kids were bigger... my 19 month old is still not quite 20 lbs.

Quote:
Mine have weighed in at whopping: 6 lbs, 15 oz; 6 lbs, 6 oz; and 6 lbs, 15 oz. All full-term and healthy. We just don't seem to grow 'em big. Ds1 was 20 pounds at 4 months but I blame the formula. My bf'd kids stayed small: dd is barely 30 pounds at 5 years of age and ds2 is about 24 pounds at 2 years of age. Ds1 regulated out; he's 7 and about 50 pounds.
We grow tiny babies here too... DD#1 was 6.13, DD#2 was 6.5. At four months DD#1 was 9.4 and DD#2 was 10.4. Now DD#1 is 31 months and 24lbs... DD#2 is 19 months and 19 1/2 lbs. DD#2 actually still fits into her infant bucket seat... but we moved her to a convertible because we'll need the infant seat for the new baby.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

So, things have been totally crazy here. My sister is getting married on the 28th and everyone is rushing around trying to prepare for that. That sister along with the next one down are currently in Utah, but will be driving up here today and tomorrow.

Everyone keeps trying to schedule the best time for this baby to come... she can't come today or tomorrow morning because I invited one of my sisters to the birth, and she won't be back until tomorrow evening. If baby comes tomorrow evening or Saturday, I'll miss the Las Vegas Bowl game (*I* am the die-hard cougar fan in our marriage... and my dad won't just tape it so I can watch it with him later... he'll be watching it live). If baby comes Sunday, I'll miss singing in the ward choir (not that big of a deal... except that the choir director would kill me... my mother and I are the only two altos that show up on a regular basis). If baby comes Monday or Tuesday, I'll most likely miss Christmas morning... Wednesday is my sister's endowment, Thursday is actually fairly clear on the calendar (and my official due date), but Friday is the actual wedding...

So.... basically, this baby can't come until after the 28th... and I REALLY don't want to be pregnant that long (though it's definitely a possibility). If she doesn't come this weekend, everyone in my rather large extended family will be holding their breath hoping I'll get to attend the wedding this time...

Anyway... rant over... I'm just fat and hormonal.

Emily

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page