LDS Papas and Mamas #48 - Page 17 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#481 of 678 Old 12-21-2007, 03:04 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by klg47 View Post
She specifically asked about the Word of Wisdom, and it's not allowed under the Word of Wisdom. Also, keep in mind that this thread is for support of official doctrines, not arguing one's own opinion about doctrines.
I wasn't arguing doctrine. Maybe instead of assuming I'm attacking/giving opinions and responding that way, explain where you are coming from so I can better understand.

But if we want to talk about it, let us do so. Where in the actual Word of Wisdom does it say tea? So, technically would hot chocolate be against the WofW? D&C 89:9 "again hot drinks are not for the body or belly". So, if I agree with you no green tea, even decaf, then what about other strong hot drinks or drinks with caffeine, etc.

I'm not a doctrine buff and I can't just pull out scripture. I'm going off of what I know and have been taught so far. I know this is an LDS thread, you have to realize everyone is at a different place in their spiritual knowledge and growth.

J
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#482 of 678 Old 12-21-2007, 03:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mimiharshe View Post
I wasn't arguing doctrine. Maybe instead of assuming I'm attacking/giving opinions and responding that way, explain where you are coming from so I can better understand.

But if we want to talk about it, let us do so. Where in the actual Word of Wisdom does it say tea? So, technically would hot chocolate be against the WofW? D&C 89:9 "again hot drinks are not for the body or belly". So, if I agree with you no green tea, even decaf, then what about other strong hot drinks or drinks with caffeine, etc.

I'm not a doctrine buff and I can't just pull out scripture. I'm going off of what I know and have been taught so far. I know this is an LDS thread, you have to realize everyone is at a different place in their spiritual knowledge and growth.

J
Mimiharshe, are you LDS? I am curious because I have seen your photos (lovely!) and noticed you are wearing spaghetti straps in most of them. I only ask because I think it would be nice for you to be honest about where you are coming from when you post-- such as, "I'm just an investigator, but . . . " or, "I'm not LDS, but my DH is, and I think . . . " We would still value your respectful input, but I think this could be really helpful to avoid hurt feelings and misunderstandings. Most, if not all of us, post introductions on each new thread before jumping into the conversations, and it helps us to know where people are coming from.

Also, when you say that "everyone is in a different place with their spiritual knowledge and growth" that doesn't change whether something is right or wrong. Someone might struggle with a cigarette addiction, and still acknowledge that smoking is bad-- and they might be doing their best and that's a good thing. But if they said that smoking is fine, that they're okay with it, or that it's a matter of interpretation because cigarettes today are so different than they were in the 1800s, than that would be contrary to what prophets have said and not a matter of "spiritual growth"-- they would be wrong.

The prophets have stated that the tea plant is off limits. They have clarified this matter for us more recently than the original writing of the Word of Wisdom.

Herbal infusions of other plants (herbal teas and fruit teas) are fine. For those who like the flavor or taste of black or green teas, I recommend rooibos tea, which is not from the tea plant.

♥ blogger astrologer mom to three cool kiddos, and trying to figure out this divorce thing-- Blossom and Glow ♥

#483 of 678 Old 12-21-2007, 04:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LionTigerBear View Post
Mimiharshe, are you LDS? I am curious because I have seen your photos (lovely!) and noticed you are wearing spaghetti straps in most of them. I only ask because I think it would be nice for you to be honest about where you are coming from when you post-- such as, "I'm just an investigator, but . . . " or, "I'm not LDS, but my DH is, and I think . . . " We would still value your respectful input, but I think this could be really helpful to avoid hurt feelings and misunderstandings. Most, if not all of us, post introductions on each new thread before jumping into the conversations, and it helps us to know where people are coming from.

Also, when you say that "everyone is in a different place with their spiritual knowledge and growth" that doesn't change whether something is right or wrong. Someone might struggle with a cigarette addiction, and still acknowledge that smoking is bad-- and they might be doing their best and that's a good thing. But if they said that smoking is fine, that they're okay with it, or that it's a matter of interpretation because cigarettes today are so different than they were in the 1800s, than that would be contrary to what prophets have said and not a matter of "spiritual growth"-- they would be wrong.

The prophets have stated that the tea plant is off limits. They have clarified this matter for us more recently than the original writing of the Word of Wisdom.

Herbal infusions of other plants (herbal teas and fruit teas) are fine. For those who like the flavor or taste of black or green teas, I recommend rooibos tea, which is not from the tea plant.
I am LDS and so is DH. I did an introduction a few pages back. It was missed by apparently everyone. I wouldn't just jump in w/o introducing. By the way I am a very honest and loving person. About the shirt in the picture, I was inactive at that time. I don't know how my shirt is relevant to tea.

I stated about everyone being in a different place meaning some of us are more familiar with doctrine than others, so it's good to explain and teach. I didn't mean anything by what is right and wrong.

Thank you for getting to the point about the tea. Could you direct me to where I can read about the recent talking/writing about it? That would do better than this. I will look into rooibos tea as well. That sounds good.
#484 of 678 Old 12-21-2007, 04:19 PM

Quote:
I am LDS and so is DH. I did an introduction a few pages back. It was missed by apparently everyone. I wouldn't just jump in w/o introducing.
I'm so sorry I missed your introduction.

I don't really want to go research the WoW thing right now, I may have time to do it later. I have so much to do today, I shouldn't even be here!

It's nice to have you on the thread!

♥ blogger astrologer mom to three cool kiddos, and trying to figure out this divorce thing-- Blossom and Glow ♥

#485 of 678 Old 12-21-2007, 04:35 PM

Quote:

J
I think she was just trying to remind us in advance, not accuse anyone of anything. Considering where the thread went recently, it makes perfect sense.

Prophets and apostles over the years have clarified what the Word of Wisdom means so we don't have to wonder what is OK and what isn't. They have clarified to us that the word hot drinks specifically refers to coffee and tea, tea being from the tea plant itself, which has harmful toxins in it whether it has caffeine or not. Hot chocolate has not been determined to be against the Word of Wisdom.
#486 of 678 Old 12-21-2007, 04:40 PM

PS - I learned about exactly what is and isn't OK according to the WoW while in the MTC and in my missionary training material provided by the First Presidency.
#487 of 678 Old 12-21-2007, 04:48 PM

There is an old detailed book called the Word of Wisdom by John Widtsoe, that you can read in its entirety online here:

http://www.ldsveg.org/WidtsoeWordOfW...rpretation.htm

I got it from our library (that's the fun of living in Orem) and it was fascinating. He details what the prophets have said about each part, as well as outlines the studies that enforce the WoW's teachings. I can't reecommend it enough.
#488 of 678 Old 12-21-2007, 04:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by alisaterry View Post
There is an old detailed book called the Word of Wisdom by John Widtsoe, that you can read in its entirety online here:

http://www.ldsveg.org/WidtsoeWordOfW...rpretation.htm

I got it from our library (that's the fun of living in Orem) and it was fascinating. He details what the prophets have said about each part, as well as outlines the studies that enforce the WoW's teachings. I can't reecommend it enough.
alisa...i am not familiar about what has happened in this thread recently. sorry. thank you though for your answers and resources!
#489 of 678 Old 12-21-2007, 07:14 PM

See page 14 of this thread. I think.

Hang in there, everyone. Welcome Mimi. It's a bit dicey at holidays time anyway. I don't post nearly as much, I have only 1/2 of our gifts wrapped, and the sink is full of yesterday's dishes. DD slept for 3 hours this morning and totally threw off my schedule.

I have failed in my unspoken effort to buy only used Christmas gifts or gifts not MIC, but I think I've kept it to a decent minimum. I hope. We all are doing our best about where we're at.

Which forum should I ask about affordable choices for children's clothes and shoes not MIC? It's nearly impossible to find these things. And I have 2 dd's who are growing a shoe size a season, so not just 1 pair of shoes each year. Don't know how my parents did it ... Does anyone know?

I'll tell you--shoes and clothes get hard when they're in sizes 7 and up. Modesty? HUGE issue. Comfort and affordability, more huge issues. I shop on ebay with pretty good results.
#490 of 678 Old 12-21-2007, 08:25 PM

Speaking of modesty, check out this little gem.
#491 of 678 Old 12-22-2007, 12:46 AM

i've been thinking a lot about this thread. i would really like to turn it back to being the support system it should be. i keep reading about this being a support thread but has it really been? while i was shopping for eczema cream (my poor Mable ) i remembered something my Stake President told us in at Stake Conference and then later while visiting our ward. he said that when a member comes to church smelling of cigarette smoke or booze or wearing jeans or even a tank top it is important that we don't judge. it is important that we go to the Brother or Sister and offer them our support through a hug a kind word or even a smile. he said something that really struck me- these people are where they are suppose to be. being confrontational with them because they carried in a Starbucks cup isn't going to help anyone. sure, inform them of the standards in a loving and open way and then back off. move on and move beyond their short comings. we all have them, right? all dwelling on someone drinking a coke or tea or watching a rated R movie or whatever else isn't going to bring them closer to the gospel. it's not even going to bring us closer to the gospel.
even within the church we are going to disagree. there is a huge difference between this and challenging the church and it's teachings (think- saying women should hold the Priesthood and the church is wrong for not letting us vs. i like to drink Lipton Iced tea). and there is room for disagreement. some people interpret the WoW differently. some say no meat, some say yes meat, some say only once in a blue moon. some say no caffeine (re: coke, pepsi, etc) some say that's fine. some say rated R movies are absolutely positively restricted no questions asked. some don't feel that way. but is there really a need to fight about it? to acuse the other of not living the standards, of not sustaining the Prophet, of not having a good enough testimony? that just isn't inline with being supportive.

so let's turn this back into a truly supportive thread, agree to disagree, and focus on what we all do agree on- that this church is true, that Gordon B. Hinckley and Joseph Smith and all in between were and are Prophets of the Lord and that this is the Lord's church. let's all return to being brothers and sisters in Zion and step away from the judgment, belittling, and bullying.
and if there is a problem if you disagree with Sister Sally dressing her 9 year old in a bikini move on. move past that post. and if you just can't stand Sister Sally, utilize the ignore option- i have recently fell in love with this option myself. if you feel that someone is being rude towards the church and trying to stir up trouble report them.
we need to remember that we have non members reading this thread and new/potential members coming her for support and learning. like it or not this thread is a missionary tool. lead by example.

that all said i want to share this new family tradition we have with you all. a sister in Relief Society talked about it last Christmas and i just loved it so she emailed me the story...

THE FORGOTTEN STOCKING
I want to tell you of an empty Christmas stocking. Once upon a midnight clear a child was born, a blazing star stood over the stable where the birth took place, and wise men came bearing birthday gifts for the child. We haven’t forgotten that wonderful night through the centuries.
We celebrate that night by hanging stars, representing the nativity star, on the Christmas tree and we give gifts just as the wise men. We spend money and time and put much thought into the purchasing of these gifts. Then we wrap them, and put them under the tree, or in stockings lovingly hung on the mantel. You give me a tie, I give you a book, Aunt Martha always wanted a red sweater, and Uncle Harry could use a new robe, little Annie asked for a doll that talks. We are careful to forget no adult or child.
Finally, everything seems ready. All the stockings are filled, all that is, except one. And we haven’t even hung it! We forgot to hang the stocking for that child who was born upon that star filled midnight centuries ago, the very child whose birth we are celebrating. We cannot forget to include our wonderful Savior in our gift giving. Let us each hang a stocking for Him, that it may be a reminder that He needs to be included in our celebrations. We need to give time and thought to which gift the Savior would want from us, then we must let that stocking overflow with the gift we have decided to give, whether it is a more loving heart, more tolerance, or more kindness and patience with our family and fellow men. All these gifts will bring about…. PEACE ON EARTH AND GOOD WILL TOWARD MEN.

***paraphrased from “The Bishop’s Wife”

believe it or not, i love you all. :

so what are everyone's plans for Christmas?

we're doing a Christmas Eve dinner and then having Christmas in the morning with just us before going to a friend of the families. should be fun! Dh made the girls a kitchen and i am making them tutus. i'll be sure to post pics.

Maggie, blissfully married mama of 5 little ladies on my own little path. homeschool.gif gd.gifRainbow.gif
#492 of 678 Old 12-22-2007, 12:52 AM

Great to see you back maggie. I was going to miss you.

We actually do our present opening on Yule (which was today/tomorrow but we did it today since DH had the time off). DS LOVES his kitchen, which makes me so happy because he does not play with toys and they always end up just sitting there. I made a ham, homemade mashed potatoes, homemade rolls, stuffing, and strawberry cheesecake for dessert. Then we went to the zoo to see "The Miracle of Christmas". It was a live nativity pagent and our stake youth group was singing before. It was nice, although really cold!!!

We focus on Christmas as a time to be together with family. Christmas eve we'll be heading to my MILs to stay the night (her mom passed away this year and always came to stay with them on Christmas eve, so we'll be there to help her through it). Then we'll head from there to my mom's.

Momma to DS1 4/5/06 nursed with IGT to self-weaning at 27 months, DS2 1/20/09 still nursing, DS3 due late November - planning to tandem with IGT and SNS
#493 of 678 Old 12-22-2007, 12:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by magstphil View Post

so let's turn this back into a truly supportive thread, agree to disagree, and focus on what we all do agree on- that this church is true, that Gordon B. Hinckley and Joseph Smith and all in between were and are Prophets of the Lord and that this is the Lord's church. let's all return to being brothers and sisters in Zion and step away from the judgment, belittling, and bullying.
and if there is a problem if you disagree with Sister Sally dressing her 9 year old in a bikini move on. move past that post. and if you just can't stand Sister Sally, utilize the ignore option- i have recently fell in love with this option myself. if you feel that someone is being rude towards the church and trying to stir up trouble report them.
we need to remember that we have non members reading this thread and new/potential members coming her for support and learning. like it or not this thread is a missionary tool. lead by example.

that all said i want to share this new family tradition we have with you all. a sister in Relief Society talked about it last Christmas and i just loved it so she emailed me the story...
beautifully written post. helps me better understand things about this thread. i hope too that this can happen so i can stick around.
#494 of 678 Old 12-22-2007, 01:12 AM

Maggie, its good to see you back. :

Christmas is going to be a big event this year. My sis and bil are flying in from DC with their new baby, and younger bro is coming from Las vegas. My oldest brother, who was excommunicated years ago is going to be rebaptized on the 29th, and sis and bil are blessing their baby on the 30th. My oldest brother has been a drug and alcohol addict for the last 18 years- he's spent cumulative years in jail, has fathered two children out of wedlock, and has never, ever been clean and sober this long. Its been amazing to see the changes in his life. My brother asked my dd to play violin at his baptism.

My family has never been big on family gatherings or get togethers, so it should be an interesting few days. We may need a vacation after all the family togetherness.

I'm actually feeling a bit more like a person today- thanks for all your good suggestions. Last night was pretty miserable, but I woke up this morning feeling better. I'm pretty weak, but I've managed to eat, so we're headed in the right direction!

Violin teaching, doula-ing Mom to Abby, (8) Ashlynn, (6) : and Max (11/13/08) Diagnosed with Metopic Craniosynostosis. First surgery 5/1/09, Second surgery March 2010.
#495 of 678 Old 12-22-2007, 01:18 AM

Quote:
Speaking of modesty, check out this little gem.

For Christmas Eve, we're going to FIL's house. Last year was really lame. He was a newlywed and for dinner served hoagies, left right after dinner and went to his new in-law's house. The next day he spent with his in laws as well. I understand the whole newlywed thing and making nice with the in laws, but when you have 4 adult children including one who just returned that month from his mission, who is already shocked at the return since his mother died while on his mission and his father remarried within a couple weeks of his return, I think it's okay to spend a little more time at home and keep up with the old traditions (ham, et al), at least a little bit. Yeah it's not the same, but nobody had a good time last year on Christmas Eve, and that was a big bummer. Plus FIL is totally anxious about the girls getting into stuff while we're there. That's why DH never wants to go there, along with the fact that if we go over there, they don't ever have any food. His wife doesn't cook so we don't have Sunday evening dinners like my mom has. It's unfortunate (especially considering her mom was the home ec teacher!).

Anyway, I guess that was a little rant-y. Sorry. I love my FIL, but ever since my (practically perfect in every way, and a semi-crunchy parent at that) MIL passed away, things have been sooo different, and it's hard for us to even visit anymore. And I do love his wife as well! It's just that, well, she's 5 years older than me, and frankly that's a little weird. But I'm expecting my BIL to announce some wedding plans! I have a funny story to go along with that but I'll write that out later. I'm NAK and my arm is falling asleep.

Christmas day we'll probably do the Santa thing at our house, have some breakfast, and head on over to my parent's house. I'm actually really looking forward to that because there are lots of cousins (most of whom came from one person, and the other isn't technically a cousin but she's 4 and she's fun to play with) and while my mom is uptight in ways similar to my FIL, her house is much more child-friendly so I'm envisioning a much more relaxing time. Plus she's an excellent cook, so dinner will be fantastic, I'm certain.

OK, I'm going to try to put this kiddo down and fold some laundry!

Mama to DD (5) DD (3) and DS (2 months)
#496 of 678 Old 12-22-2007, 02:14 AM

Welcome back mags!

Christmas will be the same as always around here. In the next day or two, we'll drive around and look at Christmas lights, probably enjoying a Slurpee from 7-11. We've always done the driving to look at Christmas lights thing, but added the Slurpees a couple years ago on a whim. It was fun!

We're not close enough to any family to enjoy extended family get-togethers, so we'll wake up when the kids do on Christmas morning, and start with stockings. Everyone gets a box of "fun" (err....total crap-filled) cereal with their stocking. That's a tradition carried over from DH's family. I'm thinking of getting the kids a package of those mini-cereal boxes each, instead of one giant sugar cereal each this year. Then we'll go through all the presents one at a time, which should be fun, since DS is just getting the hang of opening presents now. Eventually we'll all have some breakfast, and eventually we'll call all our relatives and chat with them. We have to wait around a while to do that, since we're ahead of them all, time-zone wise. The rest of the day will be spent just cozied up at home, hanging out. I don't traditionally do a special dinner on Christmas, we just take it easy on all accounts.

DH took the rest of the week off for vacation, so we'll get a whole week of DH not working! I'm sure we'll probably do nothing memorable, as tends to happen on these kinds of "vacations", but it will so nice to have DH home for so many days. I'm kind of hoping we'll be able to do something in the way of fixing our van's transmission, but we'll see. DH seems to think that most mechanics won't be working that week, but I disagree. I tend to think most people outside of office-type environments only take a day or two off surrounding Christmas.

I've got one more pair of slippers to sew for DS, and then I'll be officially done with holiday preparations. I finished a pair of capes, a pair of crowns, and one pair of slippers for DD. And since DH came home from work early today, I took the opportunity to run to Target and grab stocking stuffers. So all my shopping is officially done. Phew!

Carolyn, your NAK comment made me realize that holy cow! I've only got a few more months before I'll be NAK'ing all the time, too. I hope I remember how, LOL!! Of course I basically perfected the process with DS - he would lay on the boppy on my lap, nurse, and fall asleep-- all while I typed, surfed the net, or played video games. I hope the next baby is as cooperative!

SAHM to Melinda (Oct '03), Jacob (Aug '05),  Alex (Apr '08), and baby.gif Malcolm (Sept 29, '11)

#497 of 678 Old 12-22-2007, 02:35 AM

twbia

mags ... welcome back!

i've missed your sense of humor and your aserbic wit!

I think you're right, and I think one of the big things we need to remember (this has come up with alisa and her sisters), is that the emotion behind something like a post or email cannot be properly conveyed and so the potential for misunderstandings and hurt feelings is greatly magnified.

anyway, totally off topic, but this is one of my new favorite websites.

(you can scroll through the images in the bottom right corner.)

[i found it looking up info on shmoos ... don't ask.]

"A mind needs books as a sword needs a whetstone, if it is to keep its edge." - Tyrion Lannister

#498 of 678 Old 12-22-2007, 04:21 AM

I'm hoping my plans for Christmas include a newborn... but we'll have to see how that goes.

Since we're curretnly living with my parents, and I'm 9 months pregnant... we won't be going anywhere for the holidays, so we'll be here with my parents. It's going to be totally crazy.

Christmas Eve will likely be full of last minute shopping (not by me... I've been done for three weeks now), then we'll end with a short family night including a reading of the birth of Christ. A man in a neighboring ward (and good family friend) dresses up as Santa every year (and really looks like him too... he's the right size and already has the real beard) and brings small toys on Christmas Eve. (In our family, he only brings toys to the children under 12... and candy canes for the rest of us.)

Christmas morning we do the stocking thing, then sit around for about two hours while everyone opens presents... it's a total madhouse... though thankfully there will only be 11 of us here to do the present thing. Then my sister and her husband, along with my grandparents will be flying in... and we'll get to do another round of presents with 15 people here. Christmas dinner will be ham & potatos... our family doesn't really like turkey at all, and only do that once a year for Thanksgiving.

The 26th is my sister's endowment... and of course her fiance will be flying in that day as well.

The 27th my sister is having a wedding dinner (instead of a luncheon the day of... to keep the wedding day less rushed).

The 28th is my sister's wedding and reception.

So... if this baby doesn't come this weekend (hoping for some help from the full moon!!), then she'll hopefully wait until the 29th or later... so I don't miss everything again. (For those of you who just tuned in... DD#2 decided to surprise us 2 1/2 weeks early and arrived the night before a different sister's wedding 19 months ago... I left her wedding dinner in labor and drove straight to the hospital... unfortunately, I missed the wedding and the reception because I was still in the hospital...)

And that's our plans for next week...

Emily
#499 of 678 Old 12-22-2007, 11:18 AM

Quote:
Maybe instead of assuming I'm attacking/giving opinions and responding that way, explain where you are coming from so I can better understand.
I had assumed that you were here all along for the big thread "disagreement" :: a few pages back, and like Alisa said:

Quote:
I think she was just trying to remind us in advance, not accuse anyone of anything. Considering where the thread went recently, it makes perfect sense.
I was just trying to avoid that!
#500 of 678 Old 12-22-2007, 01:06 PM

Hey Maggie, I'm so glad you're back! :

I haven't read all of the posts yet, because I am so busy today and I've run out of computer time. But I'll catch up soon!

We have to go get a new Christmas tree today because (I don't know what happened to ours but) it is totally brittle and turning brown. Maybe we bought a really old one? Anyway . . . we have to clean up the apartment today, too. But I am SO happy because DH was able to take Christmas Eve day-- Monday-- off of work at the last minute! Yay! I was worried because he was scheduled from 11:30-8:00 at first, and we are having people over on Christmas Eve-- it's a tradition-- and he was going to try to get out early since it will surely be slow at his work that day. But his supervisor let him take the whole day off!!!! Oh, it is such a relief to me. I cried when I found out, I was so happy. :

I hope everyone else is having a wonderful pre-Christmas weekend, too. I really love you guys. All of you!

#501 of 678 Old 12-22-2007, 02:08 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Maggie!

Christmas is a little different for us this year. First time we're living in the area and not visiting at Christmas.

We did the tree getting & trimming thing with my parents on Thursday. Today we're decorating our tree (which the boys cut down on Monday -- it's been a busy week!). Dh's parents are hosting their annual big sing along on Sun. We'll spend Christmas Eve evening with dh's parents -- they read from Luke, sing, hang stockings, etc. We might go hang out with my parents during the day that day, but they're madly laying tile, hoping it will be done by Christmas morning, so they might be busy.

We'll have a brief Christmas morning here with stockings & gifts from us, then head over to my parents for gift opening with them, my siblings & their SOs. We have a turkey dinner at noon and then head over to dh's parents. They do gifts for the kids and a big turkey dinner. We'll likely spend the night there, and on Boxing Day we go to my grandparents', about 1.5 hrs away, for gifts and a big turkey dinner with that side of the family. That will be the only time there are other kids to play with mine -- I have two cousins on that side, but they're much closer in age to my kids (2 & 4). They have a great time together. Then on the 27th we'll collapse at home while the kids play with their new stuff.

Bekka, I tried to do the same with gifts this year -- buy stuff that was not MIC, or rather was made somewhere that I felt had better working conditions. Mostly Germany. The books are all MIC, and in a moment of weakness I picked up some stocking stuffers at Michael's. Next year I'm shopping www.etsy.com.

I'm also feeling down about gifts. I purchased quite a few gifts from the kids, because we have family who sends money and we buy on their behalf. We did very little actually from us. My brother showed me all of the (already wrapped) gifts he bought for my kids. They covered a double-sized bed and part of the floor! My mom sent a big bag of stocking stuffers for us and the kids. Just the stocking stuffers for them are about the same as what we got for the kids. All of our gifts are homemade, except books for my cousins and something for my parents. I'm trying really, really hard not to feel badly about that. My family will not care, they understand that we're probably in the tightest financial situation and that we lean towards keeping things simple (dh's family's gift exchanges have always been way more low-key, and we both prefer it). It's just hard when Christmas was always so much about the gifts in my family. My mom loves trying to find great gifts & my dad loves seeing kids get all excited & then playing with them. I don't know, I'm just feeling stressed over it I guess. Change is hard. I'm glad we kept it low-key, though.

Mom to DS(14), DS(12), DD(9), DS(6), DS (4), and DS(2)  

***4***8****13***17***21****26***heartbeat.gif****35****40

#502 of 678 Old 12-22-2007, 05:19 PM

I'm glad we don't have mountains of gifts. As much as I *LOVE* to see a christmas tree totally overflowing with gifts underneath, and then also watching the kids' faces just glow with excitement and surprise, our apartment is simply too cluttered with stuff right now, anyway. They'll have plenty to get excited about, but hopefully avoid additional clutter.

DH gave me some good news today, relieving some financial worries. Background info: Our insurance plan is high deductible, $4000. It started in October, just as I started prenatal care. DH's company is contributing towards that $4000, but one pay period at a time, to reach that $4k by next October. So obviously having a baby in March, and paying for it in February, means not having as much money available as we need. Especially since we've already used about $500 to pay for a U/S, some office visits, some prescriptions, etc. Anyway, DH found out that as long as he makes sure the HR lady at work knows that we're expecting a baby, we can probably get funds approved to be put into our account much earlier, to cover those costs. Not 100% certain to happen, but the way DH's company works, I'd be surprised if it didn't, now that he knows about the possibility. So anyway, that would mean that, *big relief*, we would be able to plan on using our HSA account to pay for the baby, and be able to use tax returns to pay for fixing the van's transmission. Instead of trying to pay for both things with the tax returns. So, we'll be praying that works out, and assuming it does, it's just a huge stress relief for me, and I can go back to just trying to get things ready for the baby instead of worrying about the money for it.

SAHM to Melinda (Oct '03), Jacob (Aug '05),  Alex (Apr '08), and baby.gif Malcolm (Sept 29, '11)

#503 of 678 Old 12-22-2007, 08:23 PM

Sorry, I haven't read the recent posts very carefully. Suffice it to say our Christmas will be radically different than we expected this year. We will be spending Christmas day on a plane to California for a funeral. FIL called this morning, and DH's grandmother had passed away earlier today. She was an absolutely lovely woman, and truly lived the gospel better than anyone I know. My wedding set used to belong to her, from her first marriage, although it had a huge diamond in it at the time, instead of my emerald. My SIL wears the diamond in another setting. We'll be coming back New Year's day. We've heard it's easier to travel on the actual holidays, and I hope that's true. I'm not looking forward to the long flight with both kids. But I'm glad we'll be able to be there. There's nothing she would have liked better than to get a big family reunion together, and that's exactly what will happen.
#504 of 678 Old 12-22-2007, 09:27 PM

I'm sorry for your husband's loss.
#505 of 678 Old 12-22-2007, 09:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by quarteralien View Post
Sorry, I haven't read the recent posts very carefully. Suffice it to say our Christmas will be radically different than we expected this year. We will be spending Christmas day on a plane to California for a funeral. FIL called this morning, and DH's grandmother had passed away earlier today. She was an absolutely lovely woman, and truly lived the gospel better than anyone I know. My wedding set used to belong to her, from her first marriage, although it had a huge diamond in it at the time, instead of my emerald. My SIL wears the diamond in another setting. We'll be coming back New Year's day. We've heard it's easier to travel on the actual holidays, and I hope that's true. I'm not looking forward to the long flight with both kids. But I'm glad we'll be able to be there. There's nothing she would have liked better than to get a big family reunion together, and that's exactly what will happen.

Maggie, blissfully married mama of 5 little ladies on my own little path. homeschool.gif gd.gifRainbow.gif
#506 of 678 Old 12-23-2007, 02:17 AM

Quote:
#507 of 678 Old 12-23-2007, 12:51 PM

we're not going to make it to church AGAIN today. i bet they think we are going inactive. we have gone all of 3 times since the temple. we get sick, and then something happens, and then we get sick again. : this week we're sick. Robbie told me that last night i woke up and came out to him and was mumbling something and when he touched me i was burning hot. i totally don't remember that. Olive and Mable have been teething AND are sick so far Lily has been the only one ok.

#508 of 678 Old 12-23-2007, 04:34 PM

Sorry it's been a struggle for you lately, Maggie. Healing vibes to your family.

And thanks for the sympathy, everyone. I'm not looking forward to traveling. I'm exhausted just thinking about it. Oh wait, I'm exhausted because I stayed up until midnight biting my nails while BYU eeked out another victory. Go cougars!
#509 of 678 Old 12-23-2007, 05:15 PM

Quote:
Oh wait, I'm exhausted because I stayed up until midnight biting my nails while BYU eeked out another victory. Go cougars!
I'm on the other side of the country... so I wasn't up til midnight... but wow... what a game!!

During the last five minutes my dad and I were comparing the bowl game to the UCLA/BYU game earlier in the season... we decided that BYU deserved to win the first game (even though they didn't), but didn't really play well enough to deserve a win last night... but we're glad they won.

I'm hoping not to make it to church today... I'd rather be in labor... but it looks like we'll probably make it. I went to a chiropractor this morning (which was totally awesome... he got up early on a Sunday morning just to meet me. ) and feel pretty good right now. All the pressure I've been feeling has moved lower... but still no contractions. I'm hoping the full moon that starts tonight can help things move along a bit also... but if this baby isn't ready... then I hope she stays put until this Saturday.

Emily
#510 of 678 Old 12-23-2007, 05:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by frogleymom View Post
but didn't really play well enough to deserve a win last night... but we're glad they won.
Neither did UCLA. They both played a pretty terrible game. So under the circumstances, I think it worked out well. And some angels must have lifted that guy at the end to tip the field goal. He himself says he can't jumpt, so someone must have helped him.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page