LDS Papas and Mamas #48 - Page 23 - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#661 of 678 Old 12-31-2007, 03:43 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by alisaterry View Post
On Twilight - Isn't anyone else disturbed by the fact that she's in high school and he's an old man? Just because he looks young doesn't change the fact that technically he's a creepy old pedophile. It's something I think about a lot with Buffy the Vampire Slayer - Yeah, Angel is hot, but my gosh, he's 200 years old. If he actually looked his age we'd be up in arms and grossed out when she loses her virginity to him.

Just thought I'd throw that out. I actually intend to join the Twilight bandwagon on January 1st...
Woo! Another Twilight reader! (It's so ridiculous that I'm excited by that when 2 weeks ago I was so "meh, I've got other things to read" to my sister, lol!)

Anyway, the age thing catches me a lot. Every time I read about Edward, I'm seriously imagining a 25-year-old-ish face. So when I saw that they're actually making a Twilight movie and casting the actor who played Cedric Diggory
as Edward...well, while his face works pretty well, he just looks WAY too young to my mind. But yes, I definitely take his "age" into account - he's not just 17, he's over 100 years old (born in 1901, I believe the date was. Maybe 1903?) in terms of life experience. So he's ... mature, obviously. But the way he and Bella relate work so well that I guess that doesn't bother me. What does bother me is the idea of Bella aging into a grandmotherly look while Edward remains visually young. That would be heartbreaking to experience.

And in Buffy, I guess it was much the same for me - I suppose age is all in perception, right? Just last night DH was watching a movie with Cher in it. What, she's about 60 years old? But looks 30? It's an odd thing, age. I wonder what it will be like in the hereafter, when everyone is at their physical prime in appearances?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nemmer View Post
Hey ladies, maybe you can help me? I need to convince DH (who is slightly OCD, though undiagnosed and in denial) that our 8 month old doesn't need to wear a helmet to avoid getting bumped and bruised. He's seriously trying to turn it around on me and say that HE's the one trying to keep the baby safe, and I must be so mean and rotten to refuse to put a helmet on my baby. Please, anything... I swear I read something once about this kind of overprotection actually hindering development? Does that strike a bell with anyone? I'm not great with persuasion... I read stuff, I absorb it, and just know it... can't always explain it well without refreshing myself.
I don't have much to offer...but I remember watching a show on TV that followed a toddler who had absolutely no sense of pain. She literally couldn't feel pain. It was horrific the things that she would inflict on herself because of that lack of pain. Running into corners at every turn, cutting herself, giving herself huge wounds, and not recognizing ANY of it. I think having a bit of experience with pain is going to be helpful with any child. Like was already said, you can't know what to avoid if you don't have any actual experience as to why you should avoid it. And at 8 months old, your baby is very resilient - the body heals very quickly as a young child. My daughter had already managed to give herself a black eye by that point in time (and I actually don't remember how, anymore), but she was never bothered by it in the least, even though I looked at her with pity and guilt for a good week.

SAHM to Melinda (Oct '03), Jacob (Aug '05),  Alex (Apr '08), and baby.gif Malcolm (Sept 29, '11)

#662 of 678 Old 12-31-2007, 05:48 PM

I could use a hug.

NM about the rest. *sigh*

♥ blogger astrologer mom to three cool kiddos, and trying to figure out this divorce thing-- Blossom and Glow ♥

#663 of 678 Old 12-31-2007, 08:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moonprysm View Post
Was it someone here that mentioned they were members of a forum for Christian women with long hair? I remember reading there and liking it but I can't remember where it was or who mentioned it. lol
Guess it wasn't anybody here then? Or did I just get skipped over? Haha.

Momma to DS1 4/5/06 nursed with IGT to self-weaning at 27 months, DS2 1/20/09 still nursing, DS3 due late November - planning to tandem with IGT and SNS
#664 of 678 Old 12-31-2007, 08:34 PM

LTB, Hugs! I'm sorry you are having a rough day. I have done the same things before during similar situations. It's always tough.

Tiffani, I don't know, it certainly wasn't me. i read your first post, but didn't answer because I didn't have any info.

Serenity LDS mommy to 4 rambunctious kidlets
#665 of 678 Old 12-31-2007, 08:47 PM

Quote:
Hey ladies, maybe you can help me?
No advice, but I hear you on the unreasonable dh. My dh called me at work today to yell at me because the baby had gas He said I needed to figure out what I'm eating that's causing this. When I said it could be anything in my diet, I got hung up on. That was fun. I went to my friend Google and found out from Kellymom that research does not support the idea that the food the mother eats makes the baby gassy. DH did call to apologize later.

Quote:
Originally Posted by LionTigerBear View Post
I could use a hug.

NM about the rest. *sigh*
: (Also, I hate it when I miss possibly juicy posts!!)
#666 of 678 Old 12-31-2007, 08:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moonprysm View Post
Guess it wasn't anybody here then? Or did I just get skipped over? Haha.
i remember once Bronwyn saying something but i don't know if it was about a forum....

LTB- i am sorry for whatever it is. :

Maggie, blissfully married mama of 5 little ladies on my own little path. homeschool.gif gd.gifRainbow.gif
#667 of 678 Old 12-31-2007, 08:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by klg47 View Post

I read it in my e-mail before I came here.

Serenity LDS mommy to 4 rambunctious kidlets
#668 of 678 Old 12-31-2007, 08:54 PM

Quote:
(Also, I hate it when I miss possibly juicy posts!!)

i'm sure she deleted it for a reason. let's give her space. it's not some fun topic for us to dish on. it's Caitlin's personal life she doesn't want to share at the moment, ykwim?

Maggie, blissfully married mama of 5 little ladies on my own little path. homeschool.gif gd.gifRainbow.gif
#669 of 678 Old 12-31-2007, 09:59 PM

Katy, tell your DH that gas in babies just happens, though more often than not it happens with bottles instead of breastfeeding, so he can either start lactating so that he doesn't bottle feed, or shut up. :

Sorry - if NCD yelled at at me and hung up on me, he'd be sleeping at his brother's tonight. We have a really imperfect marriage, but we don't talk to each other that way. If I hung up on NCD he'd probably send me to my room for the evening.

Or double my meds for the day...

LTB, days like that make me cry. I'm sorry about your day and sorry your co-op was shut down.

Nemmer, my son climbs the fireplace and onto the car and sometimes he falls and he's fine. That won't convinve your husband though. I suggest maybe getting a bunch of baby/toddler care books and showing him how none of them recommend it. Kids are a lot more balanced and coordinated than we think if we let them figure it out themselves.

Happy New Year, every one. NCD is turning in his grad applications this week so wish us luck.
#670 of 678 Old 12-31-2007, 10:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by magstphil View Post
i remember once Bronwyn saying something but i don't know if it was about a forum....
I remember talking about 1 Cor 11:15, and flippantly telling my Gospel Doctrine class that it was my favorite scripture, but not much beyond that. Sorry.

And another A helmet for a baby? For what occasion? I'm not familiar with this :

Sorry LTB. Hope things improve for you.
#671 of 678 Old 12-31-2007, 10:25 PM

Quote:
Hey ladies, maybe you can help me?
If you get the One Step Ahead catalog, make sure your dh doesn't see it! It has a baby helmet right in the front!
#672 of 678 Old 12-31-2007, 10:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by seren View Post
LTB, Hugs! I'm sorry you are having a rough day. I have done the same things before during similar situations. It's always tough.
Thank you, Seren.

Quote:
I'm sorry about your DH, Katie. Thanks for the hug. There was no juicy anything, just me having an exceptionally sleep-deprived, hormonal, lousy day of the ho-hum variety. Oh and I had a thread removed.

Quote:
Originally Posted by magstphil View Post

LTB- i am sorry for whatever it is. :
Thank you so much. Actually I don't mind anyone on our thread knowing about the stupid little details of my mini-meltdown, but it occured to me almost anyone on MDC could read it, and it doesn't feel like a super-friendly place to me today . . . : I kind of feel like hiding out.

Quote:
Originally Posted by alisaterry View Post
LTB, days like that make me cry. I'm sorry about your day and sorry your co-op was shut down. <snip>

Happy New Year, every one. NCD is turning in his grad applications this week so wish us luck.
Thank you, Alisa. I will pray for you that you get accepted somewhere that would be perfect for you guys!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by quarteralien View Post
Sorry LTB. Hope things improve for you.
Thank you.

Reading everybody's comments really made me cry and feel loved. Thank you, mamas.

♥ blogger astrologer mom to three cool kiddos, and trying to figure out this divorce thing-- Blossom and Glow ♥

#673 of 678 Old 01-01-2008, 01:58 AM

I wanted to introduce the newest member of our family, joining us for the new year!

Here's Riley!

I mean, uh...here's Riley!

Momma to DS1 4/5/06 nursed with IGT to self-weaning at 27 months, DS2 1/20/09 still nursing, DS3 due late November - planning to tandem with IGT and SNS
#674 of 678 Old 01-01-2008, 01:58 AM

Quote:
If you get the One Step Ahead catalog, make sure your dh doesn't see it! It has a baby helmet right in the front!
are helmets for babies a normal thing? i had never heard of them until now...

Bronwyn (am i spelling you name right?)~ that's all i remembered you saying but thought maybe i had missed something.

#675 of 678 Old 01-01-2008, 02:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LionTigerBear View Post
I will pray for you that you get accepted somewhere that would be perfect for you guys!!!
Thanks, they're appreciated. I just submitted my application to Notre Dame. Next up University of Washington, then Penn State, then Purdue.

I'll be sweating the next three or four months out like nobody's business!

"A mind needs books as a sword needs a whetstone, if it is to keep its edge." - Tyrion Lannister

#676 of 678 Old 01-01-2008, 02:44 AM

LTB, many hugs for you! I'm sorry you are or were having a rough time. (I gather it's something at least in part to do with MDC?) Several years ago on a mainstream board I got totally slammed in PM's by several members of my DD's board who thought I did nothing but gloat about her, when in reality I was just so far removed from family and friends that I shared each and every joy with my online friends, never once thinking that anyone would ever, in a million years!, take offense to my excitement. I was crushed and cried and obsessed about it much longer than was ever healthy. I hope you are more resilient than I was back then. Online drama can be so difficult to deal with emotionally. Especially if you're already having a hard time. And I also wish my hugs could be felt for real.

NCD - I hope you get accepted to a college of your choice! I can't say I'd be jumping to live in the Seattle area again...but I can almost see the draw after reading Twilight for the second time! *blissful sigh*

Everyone - Happy New Year! (well - in my time zone anyway ) I hope this year will be full of bessings, much love, and joy for each of you!!

SAHM to Melinda (Oct '03), Jacob (Aug '05),  Alex (Apr '08), and baby.gif Malcolm (Sept 29, '11)

#677 of 678 Old 01-01-2008, 03:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leiahs View Post
NCD - I hope you get accepted to a college of your choice! I can't say I'd be jumping to live in the Seattle area again...but I can almost see the draw after reading Twilight for the second time! *blissful sigh*
Oh, we're big Seattle fans here, but as they say ... there's no accounting for tastes.

"A mind needs books as a sword needs a whetstone, if it is to keep its edge." - Tyrion Lannister

#678 of 678 Old 01-01-2008, 05:26 AM

We's gots us a new thread

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page