LDS Papas and Mamas #48 - Page 3 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#61 of 678 Old 12-09-2007, 01:00 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by klg47 View Post
It's possible that I may need to call my housekeeping skills into question. We have some Christmas window clings. I wet them down to get them to stick on the window better. We just went to put them up on the front window and the water mark outlines from last Christmas were still there!! : When I tell people that one way I handle working and being a mom is that I just don't clean, they laugh, as if I am exaggerating. Now I have proof!
I feel bad because we haven't even decorated at all yet. And we celebrate Yule here at home, which is the 21st and coming FAST. I want to go get our tree Monday, but I'm starting to wonder if there's even a point to putting it up that late. Plus we have the missionaries coming over for dinner on Monday, plus grocery shopping, picking up our milk, ect. I don't know that we'll have time.

Momma to DS1 4/5/06 nursed with IGT to self-weaning at 27 months, DS2 1/20/09 still nursing, DS3 due late November - planning to tandem with IGT and SNS
#62 of 678 Old 12-09-2007, 08:44 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moonprysm View Post
And we celebrate Yule here at home, which is the 21st and coming FAST. I want to go get our tree Monday, but I'm starting to wonder if there's even a point to putting it up that late.
Often when I was growing up, we got our tree late. Like, the weekend before Christmas -- even if Christmas was on Mon or Tues. We've gone out to get our tree on Christmas Eve more than once. Like the year it was snowing slush and we trudged across our field in knee-deep wet snow at night to cut down one of our own trees. That was the year my dad had to replace all of the floor joists in our living room (he built the house and when he built the floor, he had put in the joists in the fall and then did nothing until summer, so they had been exposed all that time and 6 years later -- when we finally moved in -- he realized they were no good) so our floor consisted of loose plywood sheets piled overlapping on the floor when dad wasn't working.

Or the year we moved in to that new house on the evening after the last day of school before Christmas vacation, and had to move everything we needed over from our old house (they are on the same property) before we set up our tree.

Or the year that we got a "free" tree because Dad did some work for a guy who owns a tree farm, but we left it late and he was closed when we got there (the sun was starting to set), but Dad knew how to open the gate by taking it off his hinges so we drove in to the parking lot and then walked all the way to the back of the farm so we could find a tree and found the perfect tree, and it was dark by the time we dragged it (very carefully) to the truck and Dad tied it in the back to secure it and it was our job to check out the back window to make sure it wasn't moving around too much but it was dark and difficult to see and suddenly we realized that the whole tree was gone and we turned around and found it on the road, quite broken, and we had to go back to the farm and find another tree in the dark.

Or the years when my little brother was in scouts and their main fundraiser was a Christmas tree sale, and my dad was in charge of contacting local farms and getting trees, and they couldn't get enough scouts and parents to go out and cut down trees so my sister and I went with Dad and cut down and carried so many Christmas trees and he was busy with that right up to Christmas Eve so once he was all done with that we finally went and cut down our own tree.

Or the years when I was living at the other end of the province and couldn't get there until a few days before Christmas and they waited for me to get home so I could go and get the tree with them.

And Christmas was still always wonderful.

Mom to DS(14), DS(12), DD(9), DS(6), DS (4), and DS(2)  

***4***8****13***17***21****26***heartbeat.gif****35****40

#63 of 678 Old 12-09-2007, 09:15 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by frogleymom View Post
The baby blessing is not an official ordinance in the church. It is not required, and doesn't give the baby any extra blessings that a non-LDS baby would get...
We had some difficulty with the paperwork for M's baby blessing (we do ours at home and it seems like each time, we get told something different about the "rules" for this) and she wasn't on the church's records for a loooooong time, until it was sorted out. It seemed that she couldn't be added without the info about the blessing. So I'm wondering -- can children who haven't been blessed be added to the membership records before they are baptized?

Re: priesthood blessings and worthiness, I don't think anyone receiving a blessing is going to be "penalized" for unknowingly asking an unworthy priesthood holder. God is always fair. He only expects of us what we can do based on our capabilities, which includes our knowledge. The responsibility lies with the priesthood holder, to either make sure he is worthy or not give a blessing.

However, what is "fair" in the eternal scheme of things might not appear that way in the short term. If I can't gain acess to a blessing because there are no priesthood holders nearby, then I don't get a blessing. That won't affect my personal worthiness or salvation, but I won't have that blessing. If I were not baptized, but I wanted to be, but there were no priesthood holder available to do it, I wouldn't get baptized. But if I "endured to the end," it would get taken care of eventually.

Lacysmommy, your spiritual time sounds great. We have been trying to do something similar, but I made the huge mistake of trying to have our scripture reading time right before our bedtime family prayer with the kids. Everyone is cranky and it's very difficult. We're starting to do it after supper instead, and it's working much better. When we start school time in the morning, we always start with church songs, a prayer, and scripture/church material (like the Friend) reading. Right now, we're reading a past Christmas message from the first presidency to the children each morning. I c&p'd a bunch into a Word document and printed them up and put them in a duotang. If anyone is interested in it, pm me and I'll email you the file.

Tiffani, congratulations on your interview!

Seren,

Mom to DS(14), DS(12), DD(9), DS(6), DS (4), and DS(2)  

***4***8****13***17***21****26***heartbeat.gif****35****40

#64 of 678 Old 12-09-2007, 02:55 PM

:

So ... I created that smilie ... just thought I'd brag ...

"A mind needs books as a sword needs a whetstone, if it is to keep its edge." - Tyrion Lannister

#65 of 678 Old 12-09-2007, 03:09 PM

Had my interview today...

And....

I am going to be one of my missionaries' first baptism. He's all nervous. It's rather cute. Haha.

I am a little disappointed that some people won't be there, though. My RS president, who I adore, is going to be at a wedding at the temple on Saturday. My SS teacher is going to be out of town until late late Saturday night. *sniffles* But I'm still excited. My best friend is even coming, and was offended that I didn't ask her until she said something. (She's not exactly religious and I didn't think she'd be interested). Woo hoo!!!

Momma to DS1 4/5/06 nursed with IGT to self-weaning at 27 months, DS2 1/20/09 still nursing, DS3 due late November - planning to tandem with IGT and SNS
#66 of 678 Old 12-09-2007, 03:33 PM

i so wish i could be there!!! how exciting!

Maggie, blissfully married mama of 5 little ladies on my own little path. homeschool.gif gd.gifRainbow.gif
#67 of 678 Old 12-09-2007, 03:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NewCrunchyDaddy View Post
:

i remember when you did! it took them long enough to make it "official"

Maggie, blissfully married mama of 5 little ladies on my own little path. homeschool.gif gd.gifRainbow.gif
#68 of 678 Old 12-09-2007, 03:40 PM

Has anyone read this month's first presidency message? It's most excellent. I highy recommend it.
#69 of 678 Old 12-09-2007, 03:42 PM

Awesome smilie, NCD! I see the added a bunch of them! Of course, not the one I requested, which was a horse smilie. They have a dog, a cat, and a hamster, and even a sheep, but no horse. :
#70 of 678 Old 12-09-2007, 04:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by quarteralien View Post
Has anyone read this month's first presidency message? It's most excellent. I highy recommend it.
So, were you channeling Bill S. *******, Esquire there or was it Ted "Theodore" Logan?

"A mind needs books as a sword needs a whetstone, if it is to keep its edge." - Tyrion Lannister

#71 of 678 Old 12-09-2007, 05:55 PM

Quote:
:

I love it!!! Off to go peruse the other new smilies . . .

♥ blogger astrologer mom to three cool kiddos, and trying to figure out this divorce thing-- Blossom and Glow ♥

#72 of 678 Old 12-09-2007, 06:02 PM

: cute

: love this one

: this could be useful

: I see they made it smaller

: smaller?

: they made a non-beating heart

: what is this? What's IRC? I know what RIC is and what Circ is but I wonder if IRC is a typo . . . ?

: I like this one.

I keep waiting for this one to throw up.

: Like it!

: hahaha

There's also a bunch of new homebirth smilies and new, smaller banner smilies.

♥ blogger astrologer mom to three cool kiddos, and trying to figure out this divorce thing-- Blossom and Glow ♥

#73 of 678 Old 12-09-2007, 06:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LionTigerBear View Post
: this could be useful
So, is that the Emperor Palpatine smilie?

There's also a GD smilie: :

#74 of 678 Old 12-09-2007, 07:05 PM

Quote:
So, is that the Emperor Palpatine smilie?

There's also a GD smilie: :
Lol.

Oooh, I really like the GD one except for the white around the hand. But it's still really good. Hmmm, I need to make a new siggie. It's always so hard to decide what to include though . . . sigh. So many causes, so little time . . .

#75 of 678 Old 12-09-2007, 07:32 PM

AHHHHHHHHH!!!! there is a Star Trek one???!!! holy cow i need to redo my sig. all these new ones are too cute.

#76 of 678 Old 12-09-2007, 08:08 PM

oh i my new sig!
the simple things in life bring me such joy :

#77 of 678 Old 12-09-2007, 08:21 PM

I like yours! Isn't it fun to change siggies?

Like my new siggie?

#78 of 678 Old 12-09-2007, 08:23 PM

Quote:
Uhh, not exactly what I had in mind...
#79 of 678 Old 12-09-2007, 08:45 PM

Since there is a lull in conversation, I wanted to show you all my cute baby. She's starting to finally fill out. There's a picture of my 3 kids. One in Oct and the other is today. There's also a picture of us at the San Diego Zoo from last January, when I was a bit skinnier, but you can't really tell because Connor is in front of me Anyway, I sent out my Christmas card and enjoy showing off my kids
http://www.flickr.com/photos/8526548@N07/?saved=1

Edited to say: The only way to get her to sit with the boys was to put the binky in her mouth
#80 of 678 Old 12-09-2007, 09:12 PM

so cute, Marly! i just love the San Diego temple. i toured it when i was 6 before it was dedicated. it's one of the few memories i have of that early on in my life.

#81 of 678 Old 12-09-2007, 09:15 PM

Marly, your family is beautiful.

#82 of 678 Old 12-09-2007, 09:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by magstphil View Post
so cute, Marly! i just love the San Diego temple. :hearbeat i toured it when i was 6 before it was dedicated. it's one of the few memories i have of that early on in my life.
I was 12 when we toured it. : Birthdays are beginning to make me feel old.
#83 of 678 Old 12-09-2007, 09:22 PM

thanks ladies

I don't remember what year it was dedicated, but I'm 26 if that says anything. (I looked up the dedication and it was April 1993. I guess I was 11, almost 12)

That's another funny thing. I was 19 when I got married, and age is so funny to me. I feel like I'm still under 20 in my head but I know I'm not. Like whenever they ask for volunteers to feed the missionaries. I have a hard time. I think they're still my age. They aren't, they are like 7 years younger than me

Maybe some day I will think I am my age

off topic: is anyone computer savvy? I am taking control over my documents on my old hard drive and I would love to know an easier way of doing it than one at a time. I was dumb and password protected it and now I'm having to take them back, one at a time There are a lot of things on my old hard drive, and this is going to take me forever!
#84 of 678 Old 12-09-2007, 09:34 PM

Quote:
I don't remember what year it was dedicated, but I'm 26 if that says anything. (I looked up the dedication and it was April 1993. I guess I was 11, almost 12)
actually, i might have been 7, then. i'm 22 so we're only 4 years apart.

#85 of 678 Old 12-09-2007, 09:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by marlygf View Post
That's another funny thing. I was 19 when I got married, and age is so funny to me. I feel like I'm still under 20 in my head but I know I'm not. Like whenever they ask for volunteers to feed the missionaries. I have a hard time. I think they're still my age. They aren't, they are like 7 years younger than me
I have the same problem! I'm only 22, but still. When I worked at Sheetz, I had a hard time when ringing up cigarettes. Kids would show me their ID, and I'm thinking "You're younger than I am! There's no way you're old enough to buy these! I'm barely old enough to buy them!" But really, I wasn't. lol I'd been old enough for almost 2 years then. Crazy. There's a girl in YW that I've really enjoyed talking to once or twice, and I have a hard time realizing how much older than her I am. It doesn't make sense to me.

#86 of 678 Old 12-09-2007, 09:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by magstphil View Post
so cute, Marly! i just love the San Diego temple. :hearbeat i toured it when i was 6 before it was dedicated. it's one of the few memories i have of that early on in my life.
OOOOOOOOOKKKKKKKK! I was in COLLEGE when we toured it, and it was one of the triggers that helped DH join the church. We got engaged, and we were sealed there 2 years later ... Makes me feel ANCIENT ... Thanx for bringing back one of the best memories of my life--on the bus back to the parking area, someone said, "that's a once in a lifetime experience," and DH said, "I hope not." I was like, yes, yes, yes ... etc.
#87 of 678 Old 12-09-2007, 09:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bekka View Post
Thanx for bringing back one of the best memories of my life--on the bus back to the parking area, someone said, "that's a once in a lifetime experience," and DH said, "I hope not." I was like, yes, yes, yes ... etc.
that's so sweet! It's a beautiful temple. My friend just got married there because she likes it so much! She lives in Utah and so did her husband.

Yea, we would play the age game. I was talking about The Work and The Glory and we were discussing when we read it. I said I read it when for book reports in Jr high and my friend said she was in college when it came out. I was also talking about how long I've been on the internet, since I was 12 That's also because my brothers worked for one of the first providers, Prodigy, so we had it at home.
Whenever people say "what did we do before the internet" I say, I don't know, I've always had it
#88 of 678 Old 12-09-2007, 11:30 PM

: We need this in a boy--black. about three years old
: My new favorite! I need to re-do my siggy too I guess.
Tiffani--Yay! I wish we could all be there with you!
I just turned 31 in Nov, and I am just getting to the point where I don't think I'm still in my early 20's. Isn't that sad?
And I was married at 19 too. It's weird because on the one hand, I've been married as long as people much older than me. But the people my age all have kids that are just now getting to kindergarten age and such. Fortunately, my kids are very spaced out so I can identify with both groups just fine.
#89 of 678 Old 12-10-2007, 12:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RasJane View Post
: We need this in a boy--black. about three years old
eadopted: My new favorite! I need to re-do my siggy too I guess.
Tiffani--Yay! I wish we could all be there with you!
I just turned 31 in Nov, and I am just getting to the point where I don't think I'm still in my early 20's. Isn't that sad?
And I was married at 19 too. It's weird because on the one hand, I've been married as long as people much older than me. But the people my age all have kids that are just now getting to kindergarten age and such. Fortunately, my kids are very spaced out so I can identify with both groups just fine.
I'm having a hard time identifying with any group here.

I'm 24... and it seems like everyone my age is just now getting married, or maybe has one kid... outside of the church moms are even older. There is no one around here who's my age with three kids. If people do have three kids, their oldest is at least 8, and they're more than a decade older than me...

Emily
#90 of 678 Old 12-10-2007, 01:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by marlygf View Post
Like whenever they ask for volunteers to feed the missionaries. I have a hard time. I think they're still my age. They aren't, they are like 7 years younger than me
I totally understand you about the age. I don't typically say this to anyone, but I don't feel like a mother. I wonder how I could possibly be a mother - I feel like I'm playing house. I never refer to myself as a woman - it's always a girl. I think there's something more to that than just thinking I'm young - I'm not sure what though.

I'm feeling so negative today. My kids seem to not be able to behave at all. My visiting teacher was here today, and the kids were going insane! They were climbing up onto high shelves and trying to get their Christmas presents down, climbing up the pantry shelves, etc. My 3 year old ran outside and I had to chase him down all the way into the parking lot! He finally stopped when he fell down and it hurt his hands because of the snow. I fell asleep on the couch, and they went outside to the car and got their Christmas presents out of it and opened them. I couldn't believe I didn't hear them go out. So many horrible things could have happened. Then I tried to take them to our stake's Messiah Sing Along. The baby started screaming, which he NEVER does, so I went out into the hall. (Turns out he had gas.) The older kids came out too, and there was a play kitchen out there. I was OK with them playing with it while I sat in the foyer - I could still hear just fine and I could still sing a little and enjoy the music. But they were climbing on the kitchen, moving it around, hanging off the refrigerator door, climbing on top of the coat racks, slamming the doors on it, etc. I was furious at them because they wouldn't behave, and furious at and disappointed in myself because I am apparently a huge failure as a mother. Apparently I don't provide them with what they need (good food, regular sleep, outside play time, proper discipline). I wonder what's the point in even trying to be a good mother any more. It's easier if I don't try, because then at least I'm choosing to be a failure.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page