LDS Papas and Mamas #48 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 678 Old 12-06-2007, 03:16 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
New thread...chat away!

~Jenni, rural frugal Alaskan, eternally married to Dragon
loving my wild things DS Wolf (12), 3 angels, DS Bear (6) & DS Eagle (3)

#2 of 678 Old 12-06-2007, 03:24 PM - Thread Starter

OK, I haven't done an intro in like 4 months...
I'm Jenni, living in rural Alaska (winter population in this town is like 80 people tops!) I have a 7yo son will and a 10mo son Samuel. DH is a school teacher.
And ya know, that basicallycovers it! I sew professionally, love the life of a SAHM (sometiems WAHM), and I really enjoy living out here in the boonies. It has it's downsides (like sometimes the seaplane can't get out so we go a week with no mail), but it really is great in a lot of ways.
We attend church over the phone, by the way. :-)

jenni

#3 of 678 Old 12-06-2007, 03:39 PM

Hi, I'm Bronwyn, and I've been sober for approximately 20 minutes. I'm coming up for air from that wretched book. I really can't fathom why it's so addicting. It's not an original story or anything. I felt the same way about Harry Potter. I was reading along in those books thinking all the while "I can put this down. I don't need to finish this tonight." Lo and behold 3 hours have passed, I'm totally exhausted, but I've finished the book, dangit! Is that not a sign of addiction, or what?
#4 of 678 Old 12-06-2007, 03:40 PM

That's right! It's December!

Church over the phone? Now THAT sounds interesting. (and even somewhat tempting... : )

I'm Danile, fulltime student working towards my RN and/or Direct Entry Midwifery degree. Just taking my prereq's right now. Other than that I'm a SAHM and convert to the church. DH TJ and I were sealed in the Seattle Temple a little over two years ago. We've been together for seven years. We have two boys, Dominic who's 4 in a couple months and Isaac who turned 2 in November. I'm due in two weeks with our third. I'm a certified childbirth educator and doula/labor assistant- birth is absolutely my PASSION!

I've enjoyed the many ways the gospel has enriched and truly saved my life and am grateful to be a member of such a wonderful church with an amazing prophet.
#5 of 678 Old 12-06-2007, 03:50 PM

Dear Sisters, I received the following announcement from the Stake Relief Society. It looks like a very worthy cause for those of you who have the means to help:

We received word from the MTC lately that they have only received enough funds to finance a Christmas remembrance for 235 missionaries. They are expecting 1,950 missionaries by Christmas. Would you encourage your sisters to consider their giving this year and perhaps donating to the MTC to help provide a remembrance for the missionaries for Christmas?

Some come to the training center from far away not having much. We received a sister this past week from Mongolia going to the Salt Lake City, Spanish speaking mission. She arrived pretty empty handed and most likely will not receive anything from home this season.

The MTC is taking monetary donations in any amounts – pennies to dollars. You can send it to the MTC at:

Provo Missionary Training Center

Attention: The Spirit of Christmas

2005 North 900 East

Provo, UT 84604

Or you can personally deliver your funds to the main entrance of the MTC and take it to the front desk. If possible they would like donations by December 11th
#6 of 678 Old 12-06-2007, 03:56 PM

PS - I liked Deirdre because it is Irish and all our preferred children's names are Irish. I don't think I would have gone for it strictly because it's a name from a book. So it worked out nicely.

Hi I'm Alisa, recovering from a failed VBAC and trying to juggle a toddler and newborn. My house is never clean and my laundry and dishes are always a day behind. My favorite color is sage green and I listen to heavy metal music. I have a crush on David Boreanaz. I give my toddler soda in a sippy cup.
#7 of 678 Old 12-06-2007, 04:16 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by alisaterry View Post
I have a crush on David Boreanaz. I give my toddler soda in a sippy cup.
additional reasons why i like you (and where i relate...):

#8 of 678 Old 12-06-2007, 04:32 PM

mmmmm... David Boreanaz :

i'm Maggie mama to 3 girls, wife to Robbie. graduated teen mom who fell away from the church and came back with DH. just recently went to the temple and am in the process of healing and trying to reconcile not being able to stand going to church with going to church

Maggie, blissfully married mama of 5 little ladies on my own little path. homeschool.gif gd.gifRainbow.gif
#9 of 678 Old 12-06-2007, 04:35 PM

subbing.

Kermit, 33, married to Fozzie, 30, mom of of 3 with one on the way. Just celebrated my ten-year baptism anniversary. Not deeply spiritual lately, but I know it's true and I'm plugging along, "faking it till I make it." Gotta get on the ball soon, because birth is much better with God along for the ride.

We are six: Me : Dh : Ds1('00) Dd('02) Ds2('05) Ds3('08) and, wow! Soon to be seven, Dd2 due 4/23.
#10 of 678 Old 12-06-2007, 04:35 PM

Hi, I'm Carolyn, DH of 7 years is Dave, who works construction but recently expressed a desire to go to school for an engineering degree (that boy can't make up his mind what he wants to do!). I'm a SAHM to two cute girls, Lacy (3) and Rose (18 months). They are such a joy! We've all been sick for more than 2 weeks now and it's really starting to wear on me.

I decided that I'd like to write a book of hymn-style Christmas songs, of all styles-- fun, traditional, and spiritual. I'm almost done arranging "O Christmas Tree" and then I'm not sure what I'll work on next. I'd like to get about 20 or 30 songs arranged and then try to get it published. I haven't worked on music in a long time (other than in my calling as ward chorister) and I'm really excited to be working with music again.

Mama to DD (5) DD (3) and DS (2 months)
#11 of 678 Old 12-06-2007, 04:51 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by klg47 View Post
Um, that would be me that is obsessed, not Mags. She's not the one who considered renaming her newborn Edward. Oops, did I say that out loud? : (OK, I didn't REALLY consider renaming him.)
Edward was on my list for this baby. Dh likes the short name Ed, so really anything that started with it was on the list. I also liked Emmet (am I spelling that right? It looks weird) and Esme was on my girl list.

Maggie, I really like the name Luthien.

Quote:
Originally Posted by KermitMissesJim View Post
Ugh, no -- it's definitely NOT in good fun. It's them trying to make themselves feel better about a) themselves and b) their choices by putting you and yours down. Totally rude, and something I would fight, myself. Starting with "Why do you say those things?" with my best guileless face on.
:

NCD, I pretty much agree with everything you wrote in your blog about New Moon & Twilight. Twilight was my favourite so far. New Moon was kind of meh. I guess I don't really get Jacob. I enjoyed those bird cartoons!

Mom to DS(14), DS(12), DD(9), DS(6), DS (4), and DS(2)  

***4***8****13***17***21****26***heartbeat.gif****35****40

#12 of 678 Old 12-06-2007, 05:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lacysmommy View Post
I decided that I'd like to write a book of hymn-style Christmas songs, of all styles-- fun, traditional, and spiritual. I'm almost done arranging "O Christmas Tree" and then I'm not sure what I'll work on next. I'd like to get about 20 or 30 songs arranged and then try to get it published. I haven't worked on music in a long time (other than in my calling as ward chorister) and I'm really excited to be working with music again.
How very exciting!!!
#13 of 678 Old 12-06-2007, 05:20 PM

Oh yeah - I'm the lucky one married to NewCrunchyDaddy. We just had our 8 year anniversay on the 4th. How we made it, we'll never know!! :
#14 of 678 Old 12-06-2007, 05:21 PM

PS - we're watching Sesame Street and Big Bird just visited an organic farmer's market and is now at an organic farm. Go BigBIrd!!
#15 of 678 Old 12-06-2007, 05:26 PM

Subbing. I'm Nemmer, wife to my hubby for nearly 14 years, and mama to my two boys, ages 5.5 and 7mo, both through adoption. As of a couple weeks ago we are officially an eternal family, since we had the baby sealed to us. It was incredible.
#16 of 678 Old 12-06-2007, 06:32 PM

Hi all! My name is Lindsey, I'm a SAHM of two (soon to be three) sweet kids. DH and I have been married for 7 great years (8 in Feb).

I knit, I sew, I cook, but as much as I sound like a stereotypical Molly Mormon I have frequent rebellious spells that knock me out of the running for RS pres

We live in TX and are currently trying not to melt in the winter heat.

Long time LDS lurker, first time poster...
#17 of 678 Old 12-06-2007, 06:37 PM

I'm Becky, SAHM to 4yo DD and 2yo DS, with one due in March. Married to DH since 2000. Both of us are life-long members. We live on the east coast but long to be back west. Specifically Colorado.

Had our tithing settlement last night and about 2 seconds of it were focused on asking the "full tithe payer" question, and then it felt like a big guilt trip after that. Not that the bishop meant it to be at all, I'm sure, but it felt like it. "Did you get to go to the temple this year?" "Yes!" we say excitedly. BIL/SIL watched our children for us while we did a session over thanksgiving weekend. It was the first time DH and I have been to the temple together in several years. We had a horrible experience when DD was 12 months old - we attended a stake special session that included a spiritual hour long meeting on the 7th floor of the DC temple, followed by a wait to get into an endowment session, followed by the session itself. By the time it was over, I was RUNNING out to the neighboring stake center to get my daughter. I had been praying in my head the whole time we were in the temple that she'd be okay. But she wasn't. She had screamed her head off nearly the whole time we were in there, and hadn't eaten at all. I felt so awful for her that I didn't go again any time soon. And then DS was born who wouldn't even take a bottle and had some terrible separation issues, combined with my distrust of letting anyone else watch my children after DD's experience. Long story short - I feel truly blessed that DH and I got to the temple even once this year, and that the kids did wonderfully while we were in the session. I sincerely doubt that I will convince myself that anyone can take care of baby #3 well enough to allow me to go to the temple once he is born (aside from maybe DH sitting in the visitors center waiting for me) and for at least a good year and a half to two years after that. So when the bishop challenged us to think about how we can go to the temple together more often, I tried to remind myself of the "times and seasons for everything" concept.

And then he asked how the spirituality is in our home. Boy, another guilt trip there. We have our prayers at dinner time, but we've long since fallen completely out of habit of saying family prayers, scripture time, and we've *never* been good at FHE. So aside from nice little conversations that DD gets started with her questions, our home spirituality really is at the bottom of the scale, I guess. I think DH and I both felt too guilty to be completely forward at answering that question, and I just jumped in with a "Well, we *definitely* need to be better at FHE".... and that doesn't seem as bad as needing to be better at *everything*.

I know I need some serious improvements in these areas. I feel great about myself that I've made good choices in the very temporal departments of bf'ing, natural birth, circ, etc. ... but when I really stop to think about it, I realize that the spiritual lackings our family has will definitely impact my children on a larger scale than any of those things. When I mentioned to the bishop that FHE was never something my own family was good at, so it's hard for me to really work on incorporating, he brought up a good point: If DD grows up with FHE, *she* will have an easier time making sure *her* family does it when she is a mother. And DUH, that's what I want for so many of the changes I've already made in my life! I *want* her to think nursing is perfectly normal. That natural childbirth is a huge blessing. That circumcision is not acceptable. Of course it would make her life easier if FHE was also normal, if family prayer was a given, if scripture study was part of every day life. Then she wouldn't have this problem that I'm having!

SAHM to Melinda (Oct '03), Jacob (Aug '05),  Alex (Apr '08), and baby.gif Malcolm (Sept 29, '11)

#18 of 678 Old 12-06-2007, 06:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by linzogonzerelli View Post
Hi all! My name is Lindsey, I'm a SAHM of two (soon to be three) sweet kids. DH and I have been married for 7 great years (8 in Feb).

I knit, I sew, I cook, but as much as I sound like a stereotypical Molly Mormon I have frequent rebellious spells that knock me out of the running for RS pres

Welcome!!

SAHM to Melinda (Oct '03), Jacob (Aug '05),  Alex (Apr '08), and baby.gif Malcolm (Sept 29, '11)

#19 of 678 Old 12-06-2007, 06:56 PM

re: tithing-
DH and i had a long hard road to the church (back for me) and i feel like if we miss anything it's this huge blemish. well we missed two weeks of church so we didn't get our November tithing in. we have it, it's on my desk as i type this, but i feel like it doesn't matter because it's late so that will "count against" us.
how exactly does that work?

Maggie, blissfully married mama of 5 little ladies on my own little path. homeschool.gif gd.gifRainbow.gif
#20 of 678 Old 12-06-2007, 07:07 PM

Becky, I know it's so hard to incorporate some of those things into your life! We were really lacking on the spiritual aspect of our home life as well, until recently. My DH read something from I think Spencer W. Kimball, where he said something to the effect of, if you have spritual time with your family every day, with scripture reading, a song, and a family prayer, your children will always have a testimony in their heart, and if they ever stray they will come back to the church someday because of the seed you planted.

That really hit my DH so we started spiritual time that night. We only read 5 verses in the BoM, sing a hymn (usually a children's hymn) and say our family prayer together. My kids now have it so ingrained in them that they can't imagine not having spiritual time. When DH is gone, he will read the scriptures and sing the song by himself LOL. It only takes about 5 minutes to have spiritual time, but it's hard to get in the habit. You just have to commit yourself to it. We're big into routines here, so we just put it as part of our evening routine and it's worked out so well for us. We've been doing this about 6 months or so now, and we're in 2 Nephi and going slowly but surely through the Book of Mormon. My DH has DD1 "read" scriptures with him, to help familiarize her with the language of the scriptures. My DD2 helps get the scriptures from the shelf each night. They both look forward to it.

At the same time, we started getting better at FHE, and always ended FHE with spiritual time. FHE is no big deal either. Just an opening song and prayer, a 2 minute (maybe) lesson, activities glore (we made snowflakes this week), spiritual time, and a treat. Takes a half hour tops. I have to admit we're not as consistant on FHE, because DH is often working late or nights and sometimes it's hard to coordinate our schedule. This again is something you need to commit yourself to doing, or it won't get done.

Just take baby steps to get started. Spiritual time takes a few minutes, and you can do it whenever. It's the easiest thing to incorporate into your home, and it is a gateway to more family spiritual togetherness. Last night we did it at the dinner table because DH had to leave as soon as he ate for some side work. We've done it in the morning, at night, on the phone, whenever we can do it together as a family and get it done. It has improved the spirit in our house dramatically. I encourage you to make the commitment to spiritual time in your own home!

Mama to DD (5) DD (3) and DS (2 months)
#21 of 678 Old 12-06-2007, 07:08 PM

Jenni- how is Alaska anyway? i have been so curious.

#22 of 678 Old 12-06-2007, 07:26 PM

I'm Stacy, I live in Utah. My girls are 6 and 4 1/2. I teach violin lessons, I'm a new doula, and I homeschool my kids. (Kind of. We're more of unschoolers.) We've been ttc for almost 2 full years, and I'm currently on my first round of fertility drugs, which has made me a little bit psycho-crazy.

I'm the stake music chair, and am currently prepping our stake choir to sing in stake conference where Elder Ballard will be speaking. No pressure.

My kids watch Disney movies, (we saw Enchanted today- its really fun!) we watch way too much tv, and eat too much crap. My four year old is singing veggie tales sons in the background as I'm typing, and my six year old is asleep. We are so not being productive today!

Oh, and I haven't started the Twilight series, but I think I might find a day or two to check out of reality over Christmas break to start.

Violin teaching, doula-ing Mom to Abby, (8) Ashlynn, (6) : and Max (11/13/08) Diagnosed with Metopic Craniosynostosis. First surgery 5/1/09, Second surgery March 2010.
#23 of 678 Old 12-06-2007, 07:41 PM

Maggie, some people pay their tithing at the beginning of the year or the end. i don't think it matters if you pay it in the month you get paid, just as long as its paid That's just my understanding of course. I think it's easiest to make sure it gets paid when you get it, but for example, we pay it once a month, we get paid twice a month, but I just do it once.

I'm Marly, married to my engineer husband for 7 years. We have 3 cute kids, 5yr old ds, 3.5yr old ds and newborn dd.
I've been a pretty onery mommy to my two boys but I'm working on it. This whole kindergarten and newborn is starting to wear on me. Luckily I'm not getting ppd, but just a little onery'ness. There was a good article in the Dec Ensign that's helped a lot
#24 of 678 Old 12-06-2007, 07:45 PM

I knew I was getting close to 1,000 posts, but didn't realize I had done it I think this pregnancy took me from 500 to 1,000 and I've been a member since before my second ds was born. Go figure.
I guess I can come up with a fun title. I'll have to start thinking about this.......
#25 of 678 Old 12-06-2007, 08:53 PM

Quote:
Dave, who works construction but recently expressed a desire to go to school for an engineering degree (that boy can't make up his mind what he wants to do!)
My husband is the same way (sigh). He's having a difficult time taking care of the kids and working graveyards, so he's decided that starting in January he's going to take care of the kids, work graveyards, and go to school. That'll be fun. Not to mention that it will completely derail our get-out-of-debt plan. Though if he finishes school, it would certainly be worth it eventually.

Quote:
Originally Posted by magstphil View Post
i feel like it doesn't matter because it's late so that will "count against" us.
I don't understand what you're asking. Like Marly said, it doesn't really matter when you pay it. Just don't get so behind that you can't catch up. In 2005 we ended up $2000 short just because of poor record keeping - we didn't really pay attention to when we had paid it or not. Our bishop just told us to pay more attention the next year and sent us on our way. Some bishops would require you to pay every cent in order to be temple worthy. So anyway, for us, we need to pay it right away (or at least write the check right away) just so we don't end up forgetting. I just recently turned in some checks from September. I had written them out, but kept forgetting to bring them to church or give them to the bishop. I finally mailed them just to get it done!

Sometimes when our accounts are tight, my husband asks me to not pay it right away and we'll make it up later. In not so many words, I just say "heck no," because I know that we're not the type that will EVER have the money "later". But there's nothing inherently wrong about doing that.

Quote:
but they like to point it out and have a good laugh over it "oh we can't talk to Maggie about birth because she is anti-episiotomies. oh she's so ignorant for wanting to tare." blah blah blah and then they do like to poke fun of us and how we live quite often. sure, it's all in goof fun but um, yeah, i don't like it. :
I would HATE that. No one has ever treated me like that at all. They've made comments about how tough I must be to choose homebirth, but nothing like what you've experienced. When I tried to shock people by telling them I sleep with Baby #3, the universal response was that that was a fantastic idea - and this is Utah - the land of few AP'ers. So I have no idea why I've had that experience and others have had the opposite.
#26 of 678 Old 12-06-2007, 09:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nemmer View Post
Subbing. As of a couple weeks ago we are officially an eternal family, since we had the baby sealed to us. It was incredible.
Did I miss the story? I am so thrilled for you and would love to hear how everything went!

Quote:
Originally Posted by linzogonzerelli View Post

Welcome, Lindsey! Looking forward to getting to know you.

Quote:
re: tithing-
DH and i had a long hard road to the church (back for me) and i feel like if we miss anything it's this huge blemish. well we missed two weeks of church so we didn't get our November tithing in. we have it, it's on my desk as i type this, but i feel like it doesn't matter because it's late so that will "count against" us.
We pay at the end of the year, usually. We both want to try to do better at paying month-month, just haven't gotten good at that yet. It doesn't "count against" you at all. But yeah, putting it off makes it too easy to keep putting it off.

Quote:
That really hit my DH so we started spiritual time that night. We only read 5 verses in the BoM, sing a hymn (usually a children's hymn) and say our family prayer together. My kids now have it so ingrained in them that they can't imagine not having spiritual time.
I love this idea. I've been really bad about FHE or anything spiritual at all. Seems I use the 3 kids as an excuse too much, when that should be my main excuse TO do it.

I'm Sarah. Wife to an engineer who desperately needs a new job that he likes. Mamma to 3 boys-M (9), G(3), and E (3 months). I'm a SAHM, we unschool, G and E are adopted siblings. I am looking forward to finalizing in a few months so I can stop being a glorified babysitter.
We live in wet Oregon and love it. And I just found out that my husband doesn't have to take his 2 week+ business trip to Singapore until after New Year. Yay! We get Dad for all our pre-Christmas traditions. It was going to be weird doing it without him.
I love to read, sew, knit and cook. I recently addicted myself to the His Dark Materials series. I'm done. Whew, I'm not so good at mommy-ing when I'm buried in a series I want to get done NOW.
#27 of 678 Old 12-06-2007, 09:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RasJane View Post
Wife to an engineer who desperately needs a new job that he likes.
Lockheed-Martin here is hiring. He could work with my DH and we could be neighbors. Though I know the idea of leaving Oregon doesn't excite you.
#28 of 678 Old 12-06-2007, 09:33 PM

thanks guys! i know it was a ridiculous question but i just wasn't sure if there was a due date or something...

and another question- with this new bar code thing does that mean if you miss tithing or do something else they punch it in and your recommend is void? i'm confused on that point. i know i know another dumb question...

#29 of 678 Old 12-06-2007, 09:35 PM

Maggie,
Like others have said, it doesn't count against you at all! I always write out the checks and deduct them from our register, but am horrible at remembering to actually take them to church with me. I think this year has been the worst, and I once took 6 months of checks in at one time! As long as you pay it, you're ok. There aren't any "late fees."

RasJane, did I not post that update here? So sorry -- things have been busy, it is hard to keep track! Here's what I posted on my blog:

We had an absolutely wonderful Thanksgiving weekend. My entire family was here, which was great, especially since we haven't all been together in quite some time. We spent Thanksgiving day at my in-laws, having a combined dinner celebration. There were 45 people so it was a bit insane, really. But it was still nice to be surrounded by so many people who love us, and was a relaxing day despite the crowd.

The next day we went to the Temple to be sealed together for all eternity. Kiddo J was nervous, but he did remarkably well, considering his high anxiety about new places and experiences. He was in a place that was totally unfamiliar (in his memory), but we made sure he had at least one familiar person with him at all times. Despite a few tears shed when we said our temporary goodbyes, he was quickly comforted and then seemed to thoroughly enjoy the whole experience. I'm so grateful he was able to go at a time in his life when he will be able to remember and reflect on the experience.

The ceremony was beautiful, and when the children entered the room, my heart was so full of joy. My worries about Kiddo J's anxiety were calmed, and I was able to see that his fears had been calmed as well. Baby Z was beautiful, in complete awe of his surroundings and a perfect angel the entire time. He was content to sit still during the ceremony, instead of trying to climb all over me like he usually does. Being surrounded by loving family was amazing, and I cannot imagine a happier existence than what I felt in that room. It truly was heaven.
#30 of 678 Old 12-06-2007, 09:37 PM

oh Nemmer that is so wonderful!!! i know that feeling all to well.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page