anyone up for a homeopathy/flower essence thread? - Page 11 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#301 of 1068 Old 04-09-2008, 06:35 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Since no one's responding to me. I'll just keep postin.

I get the difference btwn homeopathy and essences finally. We picked some chamomille and made tea with it. It was the most relaxing thing ever. I think i get it now.

also re my dd. She had this horrible smokkers cough and was still fearful. So I gave her one dose of Aconite 1M. It was after alot orf reading and alot of Prayer and it was amazing, she is suych a happier child her cough went away ans her teeth grinding and her skin is soft like a nursing baby. But after 3 days the cough came back a little with a left sided ear ache so maybe i will dilute the remedy and give ittoher for a few days. I have the # of a new homeopath who is in our home sohigh hopes for that.
#302 of 1068 Old 04-09-2008, 08:49 AM - Thread Starter

I'm confused, can you explain a bit more? Did you take the chamomile essence as well? I'd love to hear more!

Chamomile can be used as a tea, essential oil, homeopathic remedy and flower essences. There is crossover in terms of the actions, but they work on different levels if that makes sense.

To answer you earlier question: I think flower essences and homeopathy work really well together, but homeopathy has a more direct result on the physical being. Flowers work solely on the emotional body, which in the end has a result on the physical body....it's just not as direct as homeopathy. In cases of blunt trauma I wouldn't choose arnica flower essence over homeopathic arnica. I would however, use both.

I prefer flowers for chronic conditions, but I still LOVE homeopathy especially for constitutional prescribing. I use flowers as a first line of defense in almost anything at this point, but am still really happy to have homeopathy as a tool. As I said in extreme cases (the c-section I talked about earlier, or a dog bite, car accident etc.) you can't beat homeopathy for it's very physical actions. If someone was gushing blood, I would really want some phosphorous on hand!
#303 of 1068 Old 04-09-2008, 02:49 PM

i didn't take the essence but this was very powerfull. i was thinking of making essence but those darn little flowers take forever to pick. We brought a pot of water and flowers to boil and then shut the flame let it sit abt 45 minutes or more. I just felt the effect very powerfully emotionally. So I feel like I can extrapolate the way essences work (since this is a flower i am familiar with) from that.

Reading the other thread was good for me b/c it was all abt homeopathy. That is what i have been focusing on for a while now and this thread made me feel ike i was missing the mark a bit, not only was there something else that i could learn quicker, cheaper, sooner, but it was "better". Since flower essences can be "deeper."

I dont know when I'll learn homeopathy but i think that at some point I probably will. Maybe sooner, maybe later. If along the way I pick up flower essences, great. I'd like to use them more, to get to "know" them better. We'll see.
#304 of 1068 Old 04-24-2008, 11:15 AM

I am jumping back into this thread to ask your thoughts about using a professional homeopath. I have been seeing a homeopathic MD for close to 7 years now. I have had issues with him. I am so grateful for his knowledge, he is very good at what he does, but there are some things that bother me, and I am supposed to go back for a follow-up appt next week, and my child too, and I am just not sure about him anymore.

Here's why: He has a very authoritative bedside manner. he tells you what he thinks and doesn't take too well to questioning anything he says. I mean, I am seeking out an alternative health care choice because I am questioning doctors, and not just taking their word as truth. Yet, he expects you to just take his word for truth. He also has told me different things at different times, which would be fine if he didn't tell you every thing like it is the last and final answer ont he subject. I mean, of course you can learn more and then have a different opinion on something, it's just when he tells you something like it's the "definite" answer, and then 6 months later he tells me something different. I also think he has a hard time thinking he might be wrong. Which makes me a little nervous in a doctor. I think it is important to always be aware that you might not know everything on a subject, and be open to the fact that there may be other answers.

Yet, I feel like he does know a lot, and has helped me, but my last few experiences with him have been so frustrating. I'm afraid to go back to him and afraid not to go back to him.

Another thing is that he gives you a long list of nutritional supplements and vitamins to take, some of which are often quite expensive, yet he doesn't explain why you are taking them or what they are. I wouldn't go and fill 10 prescriptions for pharmaceutical meds from the local conventional doctor without seriously knowing why I was tkaing them and exactly what they were for, you know?

Sorry for the vent, I'd just like to know if anyone has some insight for me.
Thanks so much! This has been a great thread!
#305 of 1068 Old 04-25-2008, 06:54 AM

sounds like you know what you need to do. good luck finding a doctor whom you trust, and who trusts you.
#306 of 1068 Old 04-25-2008, 07:33 AM - Thread Starter

A true healer gives people tools with which to heal themselves. When docs aren't forthcoming I feel that it's one of two things: a lifetime of frustration at patients not wanting to take responsibility, or an effort to keep you dependent on them. Not great either way. It warrants a conversation though. I would make an effort to have a chat with him and lay your cards on the table. Let him know you want to be an active participant in the process. It may be a breath of fresh air for him. If it is not, then you may need to move on. You cannot ever truly heal if you are not participating in the journey. It is your right to do so.

If you feel more comfortable write a letter or send an email. However ou decide to do it, I would encourage you to do it. He needs to hear how you feel and if you cannot discuss that with him there is no room for healing.
#307 of 1068 Old 04-28-2008, 03:03 PM

Thanks for replying. The site was down so I didn't respond before. I think my hesitation is that I feel he does know a lot, and that he can help me. The supplements that he has recommended in the past have been a big part of what I think helped me, combined with the homeopathic remedy. However sometimes he recommends things that I just don't feel comfortable taking. For example, once he told me to take several supplements that had quite a few animal products in them. I am very conscientious about animal products, where they come from, how it's raised, etc. I don't buy grocery store meat. So things like that I question, but he wants you to just assume that he's checked it out, take his word for it.

And now, my son has some issues, digestive and also nighttime wetting, and so I feel like he needs to go back (he saw him when he was younger too). But I just have a hard time with the way he is. He tends to jump to conclusions, I often get the feeling he isn't really listening to me, and he seems to just know everything. For years I thought it was just me, so I just have continued to see him. But recently, I finally talked with others (all women with young children) who have had the exact same experience with him. And some women who have discontinued seeing him for those reasons. There is another homeopath nearby, so I have considered going to him instead, but I don't know if maybe the fact that this first person has seen me for 7 years, and knows my history, etc, that maybe he knows me better by now and so can more accurately choose a remedy. Do you think that's true?
#308 of 1068 Old 04-28-2008, 06:03 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by momofmine View Post
I don't know if maybe the fact that this first person has seen me for 7 years, and knows my history, etc, that maybe he knows me better by now and so can more accurately choose a remedy. Do you think that's true?
Nope. Especially if he has preconceived notions that could be muddying the waters. Sometimes it's better to start fresh. Especially if the original doc has that know it all kind of personality. You may walk into another office with someone who has an entirely different philosophy, takes the case totally differently and have dramatic results. I think that you deep down know that you need to find someone else. You know, you could always go back. Everyone is entitled to a second opinion.

I know that you were validated by others having that experience, but it's kind of irrelevant. Don't fall into the trap of building a case against him, or using other's experiences to bolster your stance. In those instances you are just remaining a victim and still not addressing the issue. You need to speak your truth to him or move on. What matters is how *you* feel, how you are treated and whether or not you are progressing. Homeopathy is about your experience of the situation, not the situation itself. This is no different. I suspect his attitude wouldn't matter as much if you were on a true healing path and seeing fantastic results...I think you need to engage someone to assist you that is willing to help you find health. Perhaps he can still be that person, but it sounds like a conversation is still in order.

Does this make sense?
#309 of 1068 Old 04-28-2008, 11:41 PM

Yes, I think I have almost felt intimidated to speak in a more forthright manner to him. Though I feel like I have tried. I think I am scared to burn any bridges with him, because maybe he's the only one who can help me in certain situations. I don't know. It's confusing. I have a lot of baggage from past experiences with him. For example, initially, I was so confused about the vaccination issue when my first child was born. He told me to do DT and polio only. Then he said, no, do the DTaP because the DT still had mercury in it (the one that was available at the time did), and the mercury was worse than the pertussis component. Now I wish I had never done the DTaP, nor any of the vaccines. AND especially the polio. Because I did one of the polio, and then the next time I went back to him, he said, no, you don't need to do the polio, you can skip that one too. I was like, what??? But I just gave it to him! And now I wish I had trusted my OWN instincts instead of him, because my gut was telling me not to do any of them.

Another time my older child was very sick and not getting better, and he started getting progressively worse, and I kept calling him back telling him that the things he was telling me to do were not working. He was having me give him his constitutional remedy, and was having me (what is the word for when you add it to water and shake it and then give them a tsp of the water?) He was having me do that, to make the remedy stronger. And he was having me give him some other supplements. But he was not getting better, and my mother instinct was starting to tell me that something was really not right, but he was not listening to me. Now, I wish that I could have tried something different. What he was telling me to do was not working, but he wouldn't listen to me, he just kept saying it takes time. But I don't think it was the right remedy. I wound up going to the regular doctor, and he wound up on antibiotics because his white blood cell count was so high they were freaked out ans sent us to the ER. He didn't think he needed abx, and I don't think abx had to be the answer either, but I feel like we needed to try something different. I wish that I could have tried some other natural things, but by that point I was too fearful to go against what the conventional doctor AND the alternative doctor were saying.

So really I guess this is less about him and more about me, trusting my instincts, and maybe not even needing a doctor to tell me what is right for my kids. However, I have always felt it is good to have a relationship with a doctor who is supportive of the alternative side, in case you ever need it.

I have an appt with him this week, and I'm not sure if I should go and express my concerns, or just cancel it and try the other person.
#310 of 1068 Old 04-29-2008, 09:55 AM - Thread Starter

Perhaps you should send him an email prior to the appointment so he can read it at his leisure. Then he knows what your concerns are and isn't blindsided at the visit. It would be hard not to be defensive in that situation.

I think you are right, it isnt' as much about him as you think. I would also suggest telling him what you WANT. As in, I want to take responsibility for our health and I see you as a consultant. I feel that I am capable of caring for my children, but when I get out of my comfort zone i will call you. When I do I will be an active participant in the treatment. I am calling you because you have the technical knowledge that I lack, but I have very good instincts. I am not turning my care over to you, but using you when I feel I am not in my element. I find caring for my family to be incredibly empowering and want to learn more to rely on myself. Do you think you can help me?

I have had this conversation with several of my care providers. With my homeopath it was VERY similar. In one instance where I was WAY out of my league I let him know that I had no frame of reference for what was going on and would be reporting to him. In that instance I said that I am going to look to him for answers, and that I was turning over responsibility. He said that was fine with him.

Honestly, I have never said these things in a confrontational manner. I am always very respectful and let them know I value them. I can tell you absolutely that I get great care because a). it's pretty clear that I take their info and do what I want with it...they seem to be more willing to tell me things than other people because I would never blame them for any negative outcome...it's always on me. For instance I don't ask them what to do for the most part. I tell them what I am going to do and then ask if they have any concerns they would like to voice. And b). they know what I expect and that makes everything very clear. There are no blurry lines. I do not give them control and they do not try to take it. I disagree openly (but not snottily) with them when we have opposing points of view and we talk through it. The outcome is generally "I get why you are saying this, but I do not have hte same point of view." We know where the other person stands and therefore have no questions as we move forward.

You have the power to create the relationship you want. If he will not allow it then you have the power to create something different. I think it deserves a fair shake though, and honestly he may become a better fit for you if he realizes that you aren't abdicating responsibility. You will also break a cycle in your life that isn't helpful. If you confront this I suspect it will empower you in ways that you can't even imagine.

Again, do not get lost in the story and start voicing example after example. It is about your feeling. That's what you need to address. I would personally not bring other people or past situations into it. If you want to discuss the vaccination do it from the perspective that *you* mishandled the situation. Because honestly (and don't get mad at me) in the grand scheme of things you did. He wasn't standing there with a needle and pressuring you. If you want to take responsibility (which it seems you do) then the reality is in that situation you could ask for his advice, but the rest is up to you. My homeopath says that he recommends tetanus and polio because he has never homeopathically treated either and he feels that the tetanus vaccine is actually a good idea. Okay, doc. Thanks a bunch. My kids have never had either. I heard his recommendations, but then made my decision after lots of research. When I returned with my research we had a much clearer conversation in which he talked openly with me and said that he doesn't really recommend ANY, but he was also not comfortable across the board telling people not to do them. There was alot more info there, but the point was once *I* said I am not going to do them and I need to know you will be there for us he was fine. Again, I didn't decline vax's because my doc told me to. I didn't vax because I chose not to and my doc supported my decision. BIG difference. If my kid got exposed to tetanus I can't blame him for telling me not to vax-he didn't.

I'm not blaming you for anything, it's part of your journey. All I'm suggesting is that if what you are asking for is more respect, you have to act in a way that commands it. Do you see what I am saying? IF you go into this saying that you are uncomfortable with the relationship and feel that you want to change the dynamic I think you may get great results. If you go in attacking him and blaming him...not so much.
#311 of 1068 Old 05-09-2008, 12:30 AM

Location: Learning about ancient history along with the kiddos
Subbing...

Professional homeopath here, so I'm happy to have found this thread. I know a bit about flower essences, but not nearly enough. I tend to like homeopathy and am more comfortable with it; it resonates with me. I am particularly drawn to nosodes as they can make such a difference in the lives of people and can correct the effects of dis-ease from generations ago. I also like some of the more spiritual philosophical of the nosodes.

momofmine, what happened with the homeopath? Sounds like a situation which might be salvageable, might not. You definitely don't have to stick with him if it doesn't seem like it's going to work out. It can be a huge step forward to move to a different person. Homeopaths are human and can become complacent and have a difficult time seeing your situation in a different and more relevant way. Once thing I've learned is that every mama is a doctor, so good on you for listening to your instincts.
#312 of 1068 Old 05-09-2008, 10:20 AM

What's a nosode? :
#313 of 1068 Old 05-09-2008, 10:50 AM - Thread Starter

IT's a homeopathic remedy made from a pathological specimen....a disease. It's generally taken from a diseased person or animal either from the tissue or the secretions. There are nosodes made from gonorrhea, tuberculosis, syphilis, rabies etc. They are not the same as vaccinations and should not be used as such IMO. However if you were to be exposed to rabies and the picture fit as symptoms started to develop then you could use lyssinum (rabies nosode) Their scope is wide and can be especially useful in miasms. You do not need gonorrhea for instance to require the nosode. All you need is the symptoms that correspond with that remedy picture.

Nosodes are phenomenal and we have used them quite a bit. Everyone practices differently, but many homeopaths start out with nosodes to clear the field. Many believe you have to treat for the miasms first.

Welcome Avent! I don't think I've seen you around since the last thread a few years ago!
#314 of 1068 Old 05-10-2008, 03:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by firefaery View Post
IT's a homeopathic remedy made from a pathological specimen....a disease. It's generally taken from a diseased person or animal either from the tissue or the secretions. There are nosodes made from gonorrhea, tuberculosis, syphilis, rabies etc. They are not the same as vaccinations and should not be used as such IMO. However if you were to be exposed to rabies and the picture fit as symptoms started to develop then you could use lyssinum (rabies nosode) Their scope is wide and can be especially useful in miasms. You do not need gonorrhea for instance to require the nosode. All you need is the symptoms that correspond with that remedy picture.

Nosodes are phenomenal and we have used them quite a bit. Everyone practices differently, but many homeopaths start out with nosodes to clear the field. Many believe you have to treat for the miasms first.

Welcome Avent! I don't think I've seen you around since the last thread a few years ago!
firefaery, thanks for posting re: nosodes. I agree with you re: nosodes being used as vaccines. I sometimes use a nosode to open a case, sometimes not.

Thanks for the warm welcome.
#315 of 1068 Old 05-16-2008, 06:02 PM

Hi, I'm sorry I didn't respond sooner. I went to the homeopath, and I said I just felt like I needed him to explain the things he was recommending we take (the supplements, etc), and so he did, but I really just can't shake the feeling that he is just very firm in his stance of "I think what I think". He is very smart, and he does his homework, and he does know his stuff, but I feel he is the type of person that has a hard time seeing things from different sides. I'm not explaining myself well, but it's because I am trying to not speak negatively of him. I have the feeling that he is very rigid and he is not open to being questioned.

I think the reason that this bothers me is because I am seeking out alternative health care and homeopathy because I am frustrated with the medical establishment who thinks they have all the answers and they can't possibly be wrong, and the answer to everything is to suppress the symptoms and take a pill to fix it. So, when I go to him, and encounter that same attitude, but with supplements and the like instead, I think it just makes me feel unsure.

The problem is that, like I said, he really does know things that I don't know. So I appreciate his knowledge, but because of the experiences I have had with him, I find myself not trusting him. And then why go to him and pay money if I'm not going to do what he says anyway?

Sorry for the ramble...but thanks for asking. I think the bottom line is that I don't know what I'll do. I feel like I want to just grow more confident in my own abilities and trusting my own instincts and not worry about going to him anymore. That's another things about him, is he expects you to return to him every 3-6 months for, well basically the rest of your life, or until he retires I guess.
#316 of 1068 Old 05-23-2008, 11:58 PM

Can anyone recommend a flower essence for my problem? I gave birth 10 days ago, had a retained placenta, lost a lot of blood, and received blood transfusions. Now, after 10 days, still no milk. It's very stressful and I feel quite desperate. :

I've been working with homeopathic remedies and no luck so far.I'm not well-versed in the flower essences yet. I took Olive and it may have helped. Any ideas?
#317 of 1068 Old 05-24-2008, 08:49 AM - Thread Starter

have you tried rescue remedy at all? (sometimes it's called five flower formula.) Yarrow is the big one for bleeding. Understand the essence has no biochemical action and does not stop bleeding, but is for the emotions associated with it. Kind of a warrior's remedy where a great loss of blood ensues. Penstemon jumps out at me. Larch might be a good fit too if you are having milk supply issues. Gentian or gorse would be a good idea too, if you wanted to take a peek.

For baby you may want to consider angelica, walnut, elm and shooting star.

That's all I can offer from your post. IF you wanted to talk more I'd be happy to. I can also mix anything you need and ship it if that's easier for you.
#318 of 1068 Old 05-24-2008, 08:53 AM - Thread Starter

sorry, are you doing anything else at this point? Anything for the milk supply specifically... There are herbs that could be really good for you in terms of optimizing your function. In the past I have used nettles, alfalfa and red raspberry as infusions for building the blood. Alfalfa has a ton of vitamin K. It worked really well for me. These don't affect supply directly, but are simply nourishing herbs. If you chose to you could add in some galactagogues like blessed thistle, goat's rue and fenugreek. Again, jsut throwing it out there. Take what you like, leave what you don't.
#319 of 1068 Old 05-26-2008, 08:54 AM

Okay. I think I finally have the question clear in my head that I've been wanting to ask. What is your opinion about doing homeopathy self-care vs seeing a professional?

I believe this is at the root of my confusion over seeing the homeopathic MD. I have a friend whose children are grown, happy, healthy, wonderful people. They never had any vaccines, abx, any allopathic medicine at all, ever. She credits this to homeopathy. She used it all the time (and still does). She did it all herself, and with the help of consulting friends if she was stumped.

I ahve other friends who use it very successfully, just doing it themselves. I always wanted to be able to do this. But because my first introduction to ti was through this homeopathic MD, he is very clear that you should not take any other remedies, besides the constitutional one he gives you. And you keep going back to him for years and years, so you never really get off of it, unless he changes your remedy.

So for years, I didn't use it for acute things, when I always wanted to try it. There were times when I wanted to try it, but didn't, and wound up turning to conventional medicine because then I didn't know what else to do.

I have also thought about exploring chiropractic, but, again, a no-no while under the care of this homeopath. My DS8 has issues with bedwetting and gastrointestinal issues (he has very loose stools, like diarrhea, but only once a day, and I believe he is not absorbing all his food because he is hungry all the time and he's not very big). He was on the SCD for about three years when he was younger but now the problems have returned. I want to seek out some help for him, but I'm just exploring what the right thing for now is.

Any opinions on seeing a professional vs self-care for acute situations?
#320 of 1068 Old 05-26-2008, 10:58 AM - Thread Starter

that's a tough one. IMO you should have the homeopath (whether it's a homeopathic physician or a professional homeopath is up to you) until you are really confident. I have avoided all medical involvements for any illness/situation (with the exception of some testing my dd had done-point being they have never been TREATED allopathically) because of my homeopath. I do acute dosing myself, and have for years, but do call him when things get funky. Until you feel pretty confident it is my OPINION that you should have a back-up. I have a friend who is VERY well versed in homeopathy and has been using it over 20 years. In scary acute situations she still calls the doc.

Now, if you aren't a fan of constitutional prescribing that's a whole other ball game. Not everyone who practices follows the Kentian "constitutional" prescribing method. You could see someone else and see how it fits. There are MANY different ways to practice homeopathy. You should find what resonates with you.

The one thing I would point out is that there are over three thousand remedies known today and many more being proven regularly. It is possible studying by yourself to make a dent, and sometimes that is fine, but for and ongoing health problem like your son is experiencing I would advise sticking to a professional. One of those remedies will be a perfect match. The odds of you a). finding it on your own and understanding the language of the materia medica and b). understanding how to administer it are slim at this point. Could you totally handle it if he got a cold? Most likely. IF he got a bad contusion? I'd guess. But the chronic gut stuff is alot deeper. Most homeopaths I know don't even prescribe for their own kids for chronic stuff. IT takes a different eye to see the quirks and to ask the right questions.

I love constitutional prescribing, but what you are always looking for is the simillimum...the remedy that is the closest match. They will not always be the same. When you have a chronic condition the constitutional takes into account where the weaknesses are and as such, when a cold arises it is often going to have a specific picture that matches the constitutional. Have you ever noticed that most people get the same things over and over again? Some are prone to stomach bugs, and some to sinus things? THat's part of their constitutional picture.

One does need to be on the lookout though, because sometimes (not often IME) something will pop up outside of that picture and a different remedy is indicated. You always give the simillimum, and it is often the constitutional-but not always. For instance, my constitution is such that I do not get sinus infections or migraines-not ever. That is reflected in my remedy. IF I ever got one then my constitutional may not work and we'd be looking for the simillimum. Does that make sense?

IT is good to know your constitutional remedy, but also to understand what that means in terms of the picture. There are times when it wouldn't be the right one to give. It's also good for the homeopath to know this as it might have them re-evaluating the constitutional...it's all pieces of the puzzle. IF acute stuff came up frequently that was outside the action of the constitutional, then it's likely not the right one.

I have to say that I'm not in love with any practitioner that doesn't "allow" other modalities. I treat with three things: structure (chiro and CST) energy (homeopathy and flowers) and nutrition. IF I had a homeopath that said I couldn't support my kids structure I'd be outta there. That's just my perspective. Did he actually SAY that? Or is it more that he doesn't think it's helpful?

My one question is this....if he has you on what he thinks is the right remedy...why do you have to keep going back? I could see if it weren't working and he had to dig more and try again, but why are you having to go to appointments and pay to continue the same thing? IF it works you don't need another visit, if it doesn't you need a new remedy. Sorry if I'm missing something, I'm confused.

I hope that helped. It was my long way of saying for acute colds, bruises, stomach bugs etc. IMO it's fine to self treat. With an ongoing health issue it's alot harder. Ultimately though it is your choice.
#321 of 1068 Old 05-26-2008, 05:55 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 87 Post(s)
I just popped by to say I am still reading this thread. I have discovered that DH has quite a vast library of homeopathic books and Materia Medica sitting is his office, some books look very obscure (ie printed donkey's years ago in Calutta!) and I have just started to get into reading them and I must say I am fascinated. I am currently reading a little book by Dr Dorothy Shepherd, Homeopathy in Epidemic Disease, which was printed in 1967, but her writings date from earlier. DH has also been discussing bringing a homeopathic line out with some Dr in NY, so he might be back manufacturing homeopathic remedies in the not too distant future.

Rainbow.giftstillheart.gifsmile.gif

"If you find from your own experience that something is a fact and it contradicts what some authority has written down, then you must abandon the authority and base your reasoning on your own findings"~ Leonardo da Vinci

#322 of 1068 Old 05-26-2008, 07:54 PM - Thread Starter

How cool! I'll be waiting....
#323 of 1068 Old 05-26-2008, 08:23 PM

It is! DH hasn't read them! He inherited the books from Gurudas. DH has an entire room full of all his books at work, many are old, long out of print and some are very obscure.

"If you find from your own experience that something is a fact and it contradicts what some authority has written down, then you must abandon the authority and base your reasoning on your own findings"~ Leonardo da Vinci

#324 of 1068 Old 05-27-2008, 11:27 PM

The Truth About Homeopathy, Dispelling The Myths That Surround It.

#325 of 1068 Old 05-27-2008, 11:43 PM - Thread Starter

From the article referenced:

"Many people buy self help books or think they can treat themselves with over the counter remedies. This is a short term solution.
The reason is as stated above. You cannot treat individual symptoms without taking into consideration the rest of you! Only a qualified and experienced homeopath who will spend 1-2 hours taking your full medical history and all of your symptoms can prescribe the remedy that fits best. In other words if you have hayfever, the homeopath will take into consideration all other physical symptoms a as well as your personality, to come to the correct prescription. Itchy, watery, red eyes, worse morning and evening would be Sulphur but only if all the other things about you fit the Sulphur picture. You cannot prescribe for yourself as you cannot take all of it into consideration at once. So if for example you buy Natrum Mur. for your hayfever (which is also an excellent remedy for this), it may work for a bit if you are healthy but the hayfever will come back, will not be cured for good, because it was not the remedy that fitted best.

The only exception to this rule is in the treatment of first aid and even then it often has to be individualised. An example of when it does not is having a molar removed at the dentist. Firstly you would take Arnica for bruising of the gums, secondly Hypericum for the pain as the anaesthetic wears off (will remove pain completely), thirdly Ledum for injection and fourthly Calendula (the remedy not the cream!) for fast healing of the gums (or any other injury). Symphytum is the great healer of broken bones."
#326 of 1068 Old 05-28-2008, 01:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by firefaery View Post
I have to say that I'm not in love with any practitioner that doesn't "allow" other modalities. I treat with three things: structure (chiro and CST) energy (homeopathy and flowers) and nutrition. IF I had a homeopath that said I couldn't support my kids structure I'd be outta there. That's just my perspective. Did he actually SAY that? Or is it more that he doesn't think it's helpful?

My one question is this....if he has you on what he thinks is the right remedy...why do you have to keep going back? I could see if it weren't working and he had to dig more and try again, but why are you having to go to appointments and pay to continue the same thing? IF it works you don't need another visit, if it doesn't you need a new remedy. Sorry if I'm missing something, I'm confused.

I hope that helped. It was my long way of saying for acute colds, bruises, stomach bugs etc. IMO it's fine to self treat. With an ongoing health issue it's alot harder. Ultimately though it is your choice.

Yes, he has a list of things to avoid while taking your constitutional remedy, and for several months afterwards, like chiropractor, certain dental procedures, coffee, mint, etc. The problem is that you never seem to get BEYOND that. He has you to keep coming back every 3-6 months, and each time, he re-evaluates the nutritional stuff he recommends for you and gives you another dose of your remedy.

Yes, that is my thought too, why do you have to keep going back if it's the right remedy? Something about burning through your remedy?

It's like I do feel that for chronic, long-term, deeper things, seeing a professional homeopath can be very helpful, but the problem is that then I can't use it for acute things, because he says not to take any other remedies. So, then if my child came down with an acute illness, we we ren't using homeopathy, he would only prescribe nutritional things. But there were times when I wish I had used homeopathy, because it may have allowed me to avoid allopathic medicine.

And then I know people who also occasionally use it as a prophylactic, like with a puncture wound, but he would say, no, don't give any other remedies.

So basically, I want to be able to use it for acute stuff too, but under his care, he advises against that. So I was left feeling confused.
#327 of 1068 Old 05-28-2008, 01:33 AM - Thread Starter

Yes, he has a list of things to avoid while taking your constitutional remedy, and for several months afterwards, like chiropractor, certain dental procedures, coffee, mint, etc. The problem is that you never seem to get BEYOND that. He has you to keep coming back every 3-6 months, and each time, he re-evaluates the nutritional stuff he recommends for you and gives you another dose of your remedy.

hmmmm, my homeopath has given me remedies to take to the chiropractor's office because it's beneficial to take the remedy just prior to the adjustment.

Yes, that is my thought too, why do you have to keep going back if it's the right remedy? Something about burning through your remedy?

IMO you shouldn't. JMHO. And you can burn through the remedy, it absolutely happens. That's why you take some home. He doesn't give you any when you leave? I always get some and am told to dose if I start feeling symptoms return.

It's like I do feel that for chronic, long-term, deeper things, seeing a professional homeopath can be very helpful, but the problem is that then I can't use it for acute things, because he says not to take any other remedies. So, then if my child came down with an acute illness, we we ren't using homeopathy, he would only prescribe nutritional things. But there were times when I wish I had used homeopathy, because it may have allowed me to avoid allopathic medicine.

I understand. I just am not as compliant. If your child is acutely ill...why isn't your homeopath using homeopathy? Why isn't he taking care of you so that you can AVOID allopathy? Just my .02 again over here...dd got slammed in the face by her little bro with a wooden block today and bled COPIOUSLY from her nose. I never though to call my doc. I gave her phosphorous for the bleeding, and arnica for the pain. Yeah, she has a constitutional...but this was outside of it's range of action and he would have told me the same thing anyway. I have told him plenty of times "I gave /took "X" and he has been all "well who told you to do that?" Um I chose, because it's my choice and you work for me. Not in those words, but you get my drift.

And then I know people who also occasionally use it as a prophylactic, like with a puncture wound, but he would say, no, don't give any other remedies.

well, with the right constitutional your body will be at it's peak. But, if you don't agree you don't have to comply-you know?

So basically, I want to be able to use it for acute stuff too, but under his care, he advises against that. So I was left feeling confused.

It is confusing, but so is life. You are on your journey and need to find what works FOR YOU. It won't be the same for everyone, but if you're not happy then maybe you need to re-evaluate.
#328 of 1068 Old 05-29-2008, 12:04 AM

Does anyone know the remedy for sinus congestion with the keynote symptom of loss of smell?? and taste??

PLEASE!
#329 of 1068 Old 05-29-2008, 02:14 AM - Thread Starter

sense of smell, diminished: alum; cycl; hellab; hep; kali c; menthol; mez;, rhod; sil; tab.

sinus, catarrh of frontal: ammoniacum; ign; iod; kali bich; kali iod; lyc; menthol; merc. i. fl; nat m; nux; sabad; sticta; thuja.

If I were experiencing this I would also take supplemental zinc in addition to finding the remedy.
#330 of 1068 Old 05-29-2008, 03:06 AM

Thanks firefaery, I think I just needed to explore the fact that it seems that not all homeopaths practice the same way. I mean, of course, I knew that, no two people are going to have the same opinion, or make the same choices, but it's good to hear the different philosophies behind what is done.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page