New Year Pagan Circle (January) - Page 3 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#61 of 524 Old 01-04-2008, 02:59 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Ok, so what is different about a UU church that pagans would go there???

DS (03/10) &  DD (06/07) both were/are : waterbirth.jpg homebirth.jpg winner.jpg

#62 of 524 Old 01-04-2008, 03:01 PM

Oh Kleine I'm so sorry to hear about your pup. I'll definately be sending some healing : his way. Mind if I ask his name? I have a Golden/Shepard mix and he's our first born so I know how hard it is when one of the fur-kids are not feeling well. I'm sure everything will heal up nicely and he'll be good as new in no time!

-Rachel

#63 of 524 Old 01-04-2008, 03:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beating Earth View Post
Ok, so what is different about a UU church that pagans would go there???
UU accept ALL faiths into their church community. Check out the UUA for more info on UU's. I am a member of a UU church.

From the UUA Website
Quote:
Unitarian Universalism is a liberal religion that encompasses many faith traditions. Unitarian Universalists include people who identify as Christians, Jews, Buddhists, Hindus, Pagans, Atheists, Agnostics, Humanists, and others. As there is no official Unitarian Universalist creed, Unitarian Universalists are free to search for truth on many paths.

To quote the Rev. Marta Flanagan, "We uphold the free search for truth. We will not be bound by a statement of belief. We do not ask anyone to subscribe to a creed. We say ours is a non-creedal religion. Ours is a free faith."

Although we uphold shared principles, individual Unitarian Universalists have varied beliefs about everything from scripture to rituals to God.

-Rachel

#64 of 524 Old 01-04-2008, 03:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BurtsGirl View Post
Oh Kleine I'm so sorry to hear about your pup. I'll definately be sending some healing : his way. Mind if I ask his name? I have a Golden/Shepard mix and he's our first born so I know how hard it is when one of the fur-kids are not feeling well. I'm sure everything will heal up nicely and he'll be good as new in no time!
His name is Dirk. He's a chocolate lab. He's been my fur baby for 6 years now. We also just adopted a yellow lab a few months ago and I named him, Clive.

It was actually Clive who hurt Dirk's ear when they were playing.
#65 of 524 Old 01-04-2008, 03:07 PM

Burtsgirl explained it well. I really like the UU church in this area. I just wish it was closer.
#66 of 524 Old 01-04-2008, 04:04 PM

Quote:
Also and I hope this doesn't offend you guys but the few pagan's I've met around here have been either a little crazy or a little scary.
Quote:
Originally Posted by CariOfOz
And I definitely agree that it seems like a lot of pagans go out of their way to be WEIRD lol. It's almost like in their minds how pagan or witch they are is directly proportional to the amount of black/lace/pentacles/jewelry they wear and how mysterious and weird they talk. Can't be sounding like an AVERAGE person, nope, gotta sound like something out of an Aleister crowley type book
laughup:
I feel the same way! I moved up here about 8 years ago, at the same time as a close college friend of mine. We scoped out the local pagan community but couldn't find anyone who was both welcoming and not... off-puting Just in the last year though, I have become very close with an amazing woman who's training to become a Dianic priestess, as well as a friend of hers. Also, another college friend has moved nearby; she is a witch AND she's my midwife! So now there are five of us, and when we get together it's an amazing energy We meet once a week, and we've been starting to form our own rituals and customs as well as studying various aspects of the Craft. I feel so lucky to have finally found a community to practice with

KH: I'm sorry about Dirk. Sending him :

:, too, to our TTC-ers. I hope 2008 is an exciting and fruitful year for you

treehugger.gif geek.gif Mama to Lauren Philippa Elethea (3) energy.gifand expecting a little Jay bird March 2012! 3rdtri.gif

***4***8***12***16***20***24***28*babygirl.gif*32***36***40**

#67 of 524 Old 01-04-2008, 04:06 PM - Thread Starter

We also attend our UU church and use the UU identity when conservative family members ask about religion (not that they like that we're UU, but these family members... well, telling them we're pagan is NOT an option). I really like the religious ed program for the kids... they learn about different world religions and even attend rituals held by different faiths. They're encouraged to question everything and think about things. Older teens even spend a year creating their own personal code of ethics/morals which they then share with the community. And the RE program ties in with a series of age appropriate "body awareness" programs... not exactly sex ed, but a sort of "it's your body/it's your choice" type thing.

DH and I want our dds to make their own religious choices when they're older and the grounding the UU offer is perfect for us.... and of course, our UU church is the home of our largest pagan group (formerly a CUUPS group...the pagan organization that used to exist within the general UU umbrella) and the "home base" for several smaller pagan groups and meditation circles.

Be pretty! Be practical! Be Pagan! Visit Pagan Hearth & Home!
 mama to lady.gif(4/05), hearts.gif(6/07vbac), diaper.gif(8/09vbac), and babygirl.gif (9/11vbac)

#68 of 524 Old 01-04-2008, 04:09 PM - Thread Starter

Different topic- I totally agree about the general look/vibe in many pagan groups/gatherings. I've always thought that some day I'd write a few pagan books and insist that the covers be a nice, neutral brown with plain old script. No scantily clad witch babes, no shimmery purple edging, no pseudo-gothic manuscript fonts. Just a book you could read in public!

mama to lady.gif(4/05), hearts.gif(6/07vbac), diaper.gif(8/09vbac), and babygirl.gif (9/11vbac)

#69 of 524 Old 01-04-2008, 04:15 PM

Quote:
wombatclay Different topic- I totally agree about the general look/vibe in many pagan groups/gatherings. I've always thought that some day I'd write a few pagan books and insist that the covers be a nice, neutral brown with plain old script. No scantily clad witch babes, no shimmery purple edging, no pseudo-gothic manuscript fonts. Just a book you could read in public!
*laughs* Could you also write a book about faeries that don't show them with huge cleavage and tiny bottoms?

I like the idea of going back to the original meaning of pagan, since so many people seem to think of Pagan as Wiccan.

Dhjammin.gif, Me knit.gif, DD 10 REPlaySkateboard04HL.gif, DD 7 cat.gif, DD 4 joy.gif

We reading.gif, homeschool.gif, cold.gif, eat.gif, sleepytime.gif not in that order

#70 of 524 Old 01-04-2008, 04:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wombatclay View Post
We also attend our UU church and use the UU identity when conservative family members ask about religion I really like the religious ed program for the kids...
The first part is definately true for us also. But we also like that DW can worship how she wants and me likewise under the same roof. We also LOVE the RE stuff, for kids and adults! Although our fellowship doesn't have a CUUP's group anymore, which is kind of disappointing. We haven't been to a service in a long time, it's been hard for us to find our niche in this community. We've been members for 3 years now. Most of our members are older and in the middle or upper class. We just haven't been able to feel like we "fit in" there.

Quote:
Originally Posted by wombatclay View Post
Different topic- I totally agree about the general look/vibe in many pagan groups/gatherings. I've always thought that some day I'd write a few pagan books and insist that the covers be a nice, neutral brown with plain old script. No scantily clad witch babes, no shimmery purple edging, no pseudo-gothic manuscript fonts. Just a book you could read in public!
Clay I would TOTALLY buy your book!

Quote:
Originally Posted by brendon
I like the idea of going back to the original meaning of pagan, since so many people seem to think of Pagan as Wiccan
I also agree with this!

-Rachel

#71 of 524 Old 01-04-2008, 04:44 PM

Kleine Hexe - to you and : to Dirk as he heals. My pup had major surgery three weeks ago and has over three months of recovery time still to go so I can understand how difficult this time is. I am sure his ear will heal better now that it is not wrapped up. And those e-collars, they are helpful but at the same time.

I have looked for a pagan group in my area but have a hard time finding what I'm looking for but I don't think I really know what it is I am looking for just yet. Many are wiccan but I am still trying to sort this all out and I don't think that is what I am looking for. And honestly I tend to be turned off by the look/vibe some give. : I know, I am judging a book by it's cover, but, well, I defer you back to wombatclay's last post.

Mama to my sweet Sophia, born at home on 4/6/11.

namaste.gif

#72 of 524 Old 01-04-2008, 04:48 PM - Thread Starter

CUUPS sort of fell victim to it's own success. I don't know the details but there was a shift in UU organization a few months ago... many internal groups like CUUPs lost their "official" UU status. I'm sure there are blog posts about it or something on the cuups homepage. My very vague understanding is that these special interest groups were deemed too distracting and they set an inappropriate precedent for other groups that wanted to take advantage of the UU umbrella. But again... this wasn't really something I focused on so this is all half remembered email messages!

#73 of 524 Old 01-04-2008, 05:06 PM

I'm not offended or wanting to kick up a fuss or anything, I am just honestly interested: A number of you have expressed sentiments similar to "I'm Pagan but definitely not Wiccan" or "Too bad Pagan is equated with Wiccan". I myself identify as Wiccan, and I was wondering what it is about Wicca that doesn't work for you? Do you identify as some other "denomination" of paganism, or just Pagan in general? I will confess my ignorance and admit that I cannot quite imagine what it would mean to be Pagan but not Wiccan (unless I practiced some specific type of Shamanism or something).

TIA!

treehugger.gif geek.gif Mama to Lauren Philippa Elethea (3) energy.gifand expecting a little Jay bird March 2012! 3rdtri.gif

#74 of 524 Old 01-04-2008, 05:28 PM

I see the word Pagan as being an Umbella term encompassing all earth-centered spiritualities. I myself am very eclectic. My path (so far) has taken from Native American, Pantheism, and a little Wicca. I don't see anything wrong with Wicca but for me, for example, I have a Pantheistic view of deities meaning, I don't believe in a god or goddess. They just don't "feel" right to me. Below is how Pantheist view God.

Quote:
Pantheists do not propose belief in a deity; rather, they hold nature itself as a creative presence. Pantheism reconciles science and religion through ecology leading to strong environmental awareness.

Pantheists believe in Divine Immanence. To the Pantheist, divinity does not transcend reality; it surrounds, and is within. All share divinity. This leads the pantheist to personal ethics of tolerance and understanding.
Pantheist.net

-Rachel

#75 of 524 Old 01-04-2008, 05:48 PM - Thread Starter

That's a good question Lilkat. Here's what I've got... I originally considered myself Wiccan. I was a member of two different groups during the 3-4 years I identified as Wiccan. Then I "discovered" Reclaiming. I appreciated their activist focus, their environmental and social justice perspective. I liked the freedom and flexibility. For those familiar with Reclaiming I was usually a Dragon or a Grace (depending on need).

There's an article on the Reclaiming website about how Reclaiming is "Witch, but not Wiccan". You can find it here: http://www.reclaiming.org/about/witc...itch-word.html I don't agree with all of it, but it's a thought provoking read (and short ) and it makes a few interesting points.

Here's part of the intro:
Quote:
Just to narrow the field, we'll say here that Pagan and Neo-Pagan are broader, more encompassing terms than the others above. All Witches are Pagans, but not all Pagans are Witches. Some are Druids or Asatru or something else.

As mentioned above, the words Witchcraft and Wicca are not synonymous. Though many Wiccans may also call themselves Witches, fewer Witches would necessarily describe themselves as Wiccan. The Covenant of the Goddess, for instance, is an ecumenical organization of Witches, some of whom are Wiccans. Prospective members must be able to use the term Witch to describe themselves in order to be eligible to join.

Starting from the more conservative end of the spectrum of Craft, I offer the definition of Wicca put forth by University of Bristol scholar Ronald Hutton. He defines Wicca as "a mystery religion developed in England and based upon a rigorous process of training and initiation and a cosmos polarized between equal female and male forces."
After a while I found even Reclaiming to be too confining for me (though I have fond memories and might join another Reclaiming group if I found one I meshed with)... I no longer felt the need to plan out ritual around a specific pattern, I wasn't generally drawn towards the "male" energy and find a god element in ritual distracting and sometimes disturbing (but found the Dianic rituals too unbalanced), and I didn't seem to resonate any longer with the traditional "tools" and their associations (cup, wand, athame, pentacle, etc). Ritual started to feel more like work and less like an expression of myself. So I started exploring again.

I currently describe myself as a kitchen witch... I try to incorporate my beliefs and practices into every element of my life instead of doing specific rituals. For example, using a rosemary/salt blend when cleaning the house to cleanse on different levels at the same time or always turning "clockwise" to draw in energy or leaving gifts for the fey folk or pouring water infused with miracle gro on the curb plantings to encourage growth in my neighborhood or blessing wind chimes to protect those within earshot. Little daily things that take no extra time but have extra meaning...

I'd like to find a group that I could celebrate with on the big holidays and where I could really just chat with BTDT people... but I don't know that I'll ever find another real world group that provides the sort of positive energy and support I find here in the mdc pagan mamas circle. You guys fill a huge gap in my life!

#76 of 524 Old 01-04-2008, 05:49 PM

Can I butt-in and ask for a little guidance? I am rather unsure where I fit in in the bigger spiritual picture. I was raised New Age by my mom; I converted to Christianity in college and deconverted about 2 1/2 years ago. I now view Jesus and the Bible as part of the bigger myth that has been told since before time.

That said, I still have my New Age leanings, but have been curious about Paganism for a long time (as well as other beliefs ... as I said, I am rather eclectic). But, and the question above is actually really timely for me, I'm not sure about the whole God/Goddess thing, nor the worship of any particular God/Goddess, or Wicca or magick or spells ... I know some of my hesitation is due to my long time in Christinity. I am still finding layers of my old beliefs that need stripping.

But, I also think I have a connection with the Roman Goddess Aurora; it feels weird typing that out, but a while ago I asked if I had a spirit/angel type of guide and the answer I received was yes. When I asked his/her name, Aurora was the clear answer. I talk with her every now and then, but that is the extent I have taken it because I have no idea where to go next.

But I think I also have pantheistic leanings. Again, it might be my Christian background and wanting to distance myself from it. But, I have a hard time with Gods/Goddesses being personal. I believe in the Divine. I believe that this Divine and science can work together and are not mutually exclusive. But I'm not sure where I stand in terms of individual Gods/Goddesses and a polytheistic view.

I want to bring ritual and tradition to my home and my family. Dh is very interested in it too, and is also interested in learning more about Wicca, casting spells and circles (so not sure what this is about), and bringing practice to our beliefs around Law of Attraction/purposeful intention. We want to raise our boys with a reverence for nature/the natural world. We want to honor the EArth. We want to celebrate the seasons in a spiritual way and not just in a secular/materialistic way (IE: celebrate and honor the winter solstice and bring our secular celebration of Christmas into it).

I used to have the book Circle Round, but maybe the timing of it wasn't right for me/us. I bought it just after leaving the church and much of it didn't resonate. Unfortunately I sold it. What else is there than can give a gentle overview of Paganism, Wicca, and/or Pantheism? What are ways to being developing ritual and tradition in our family.

I do have all the Ellen Jackson's books on the solstices and equinoxes; we love reading them and learning about the various celebrations. I want to develop in us all a understanding of why we celebrate different things. But I also want to grow a deeper spiritual connection to our celebrations.

Oh, and to throw another piece in the puzzle ... I am Norwegian and Irish. I've always thought I should learn more about the Pagan roots in both countries, but am not sure where to start other than learning/reading the old Norse Myths.

My biggest fear though is making it feel contrived rather than genuine. Dh and I were both raise in secular homes that did Christmas and Easter from secular (shall we say materialistic) points of view.

Thank you for reading if you made it this far. I'm still trying to gather my thoughts on it all and was hoping this thread would be a good place to ask these questions and seek guidance.

Me + dh = heartbeat.gif ds (7/01), ds (11/03), ds (6/06)
and dd born 11/21/10 - our T21 SuperBaby ribbluyel.gif heartbeat.gif
#77 of 524 Old 01-04-2008, 05:51 PM

Happy 2008!

The year is starting busy on the social front! Not too much time for the Net nor for sitting and thinking about my intentions for this year.

Valérie   
#78 of 524 Old 01-04-2008, 06:01 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
I originally ID'd as Wiccan. It felt right for a good long while. I think I outgrew it, basically. I don't need a prescribed ritual format, etc. I often found there was too much emphasis on spell work for my taste, and too little focus on connection the Sacred and living our beliefs. Or the magic was too showy/prescribed for me. Or both.

I am also pretty eclectic in that I am on the Buddhist path as well. So there ya go.

"The true measure of a man is how he treats a man who can do him absolutely no good."
peace.gif  Embrace the learning that is happening within the things that are actually happening!    
#79 of 524 Old 01-04-2008, 06:03 PM

Wiccan/Pagan- I guess I was generalizing the media portrayal of all pagans being Wiccan. When I began my journey it took me so long to really get any idea of what pagan meant because there was so much information available to me about wicca.

more later dd needs momma

Dhjammin.gif, Me knit.gif, DD 10 REPlaySkateboard04HL.gif, DD 7 cat.gif, DD 4 joy.gif

We reading.gif, homeschool.gif, cold.gif, eat.gif, sleepytime.gif not in that order

#80 of 524 Old 01-04-2008, 06:57 PM

Quote:
I see the word Pagan as being an Umbella term encompassing all earth-centered spiritualities. I myself am very eclectic. My path (so far) has taken from Native American, Pantheism, and a little Wicca. I don't see anything wrong with Wicca but for me, for example, I have a Pantheistic view of deities meaning, I don't believe in a god or goddess. They just don't "feel" right to me.
Quote:
Originally Posted by UnschoolnMa View Post
I originally ID'd as Wiccan. It felt right for a good long while. I think I outgrew it, basically.
: to both of those.

The way I learned, I started with Wicca as a foundation. From there, my learning branched out as I saw how earth based and ceremonial/ high magick practices could work together. I definitely feel like I grew beyond Wicca and began to incorporate other paths into my own. Eclectic pagan is probably the best summation for now.

MLW- I'll be posting to your topic in a bit.
#81 of 524 Old 01-04-2008, 07:01 PM

Happy 2008 everyone!

Jumping in to add my answer to some of the interesting questions being asked.

I don't consider myself Wiccan because I haven't done all the things a Wiccan is supposed to do. I don't have anything against Wicca and I've learned a lot from some Wiccan books, but I've put that together with the Reclaiming stuff I've read and info from other sources (like the other ladies here ) into something that is just mine, so I call myself eclectic.

We've got a very laid-back pagan community here that sometimes organizes public rituals, but often doesn't. A few years ago a few women started a Women's group for women to explore together in a safe space. I joined to see what group ritual was like and how it differed from solitary practice. The ladies that started the group were Reclaiming style and so the groups style is very relaxed, but since it wasn't a specific pagan style group everyone was welcome. It's changed a lot, but it's still a lot of fun. We get together every other Saturday night. Sometimes we study something, sometimes we plan or do ritual (we tend to celebrate some of the larger Sabbats together but also pick and choose others to do) and sometimes we just visit. I think it's a nice blend and chance to learn from each other. I've certainly learned a tremendous amount.

There are occasional issues -- usually personality clashes, but since there is no authority and no one in charge there haven't really been power struggles (that I noticed anyway). People have come and gone. For some we weren't activist enough, for others they just left the area or decided we weren't a good fit, or they moved on to something else taking up the "spiritual" time they had to commit -- Diana's Grove Mystery school pulled a lot of folks away .

Anyhow, thought I'd share that there are some groups that work out for us eclectic types, and if you have 2 or 3 like-minded friends, you might start your own group and see how it goes.

-debbie )O( wife to J., mom to P. (12/21), L. (4/30)

#82 of 524 Old 01-04-2008, 07:27 PM - Thread Starter

MLW-

I like the book Celebrating the Great Mother more than Circle Round. Maybe your library has a copy of can get one through interlibrary loan? It fits our family better, and the activities are (IMO) easier to do as a family unit (instead of in a multi-family group).

Reading and sharing the myths and legends of the histories you're interested in is actually a great way to start meshing those practices into your own family. For example, many of these stories have a strong undertone of "right behavior". You might find that by listening to and telling these stories you absorb these traits more or less painlessly... from the obvious (be polite to little old ladies you meet in the woods, share what you have with the stranger who comes to the door, never go round a space widdershins, etc) to the more subtle (integrity, honor, hospitality, respect for elders/nature/spirit, etc).

There is also modern fiction written by pagan authors... considering your personal background you might want to check out Diana Paxson. And maybe "Mythical Mazes: a collection of amazing mythical mazes" by Dugal Steer for the kiddos. And for non-fiction just about anything by the Matthews will be decent, well researched, Irish (or British Isle) information. Maybe The Celtic Spirit; Daily Meditations for the Turning Year? And I just bumped the resource thread... http://www.mothering.com/discussions...ad.php?t=24834

In addition to the stories, consider listening to music (both "old" and "new") that comes from the culture you're exploring. You might find that the melodies feel "right" and encourage you to dig deeper.

#83 of 524 Old 01-04-2008, 07:53 PM

Maybe just starting with some simple "What is Wicca?" kinds of books would help. I know there was a pagan resource thread around here. Maybe someone has a link to it. I tried reading Drawing Down the Moon by Margot Adler, and to be honest, 10 years later, I still have not finished it. : It's very thick, and not quite what I was looking for at the time.

I love Circle Round and use it as a basic for family celebrations. We did some of the Yule crafts and recipes in there this season. Now that the kids are older, I think I'll be able to use it more with them.

I remember some pagans (and not necessarily here on MDC) really liked a book, oh what was that series... like the Idiot's Guide to but this was something along the lines of Everything you ever wanted to know about (I can't seem to locate it on Amazon at the moment.) Maybe someone here can remember. Anyway, whatever that series title was, is suppose to be a good intro. (sheesh, that's helpful of me! ) If I can remember it, I'll post it.

There's also an excellent occult shop called Eye of the Cat near you. I bet they'd be very helpful too.
#84 of 524 Old 01-04-2008, 09:13 PM

Ooh! Such lovely long responses! I love you guys, 'cause we can have an actual discussion here that goes way beyond your typical Pagan 101 stuff

It's funny to hear people say that Wicca was too limiting, showy, superficial or whatever, because I've never felt there are any "have to"s in Wicca. Then again, I've never done the whole Gardnerian initiation thing, either, and I don't really hang out with anyone who has. I definitely don't agree that Wicca HAS to include "a rigorous process of training and initiation and a cosmos polarized between equal female and male forces."

I ID as Wiccan because:
- I celebrate the eight "Wheel of the Year" holidays
- I acknowledge the 12 (or 13) Esbats
- I use the concept of four (or five) Elements to help guide my spiritual path
- I actively use my own spiritual energy to bring about desired consequences (Magick), rather than passively requesting said outcomes from a "Higher Power" (prayer)

Those are just the tools that work best for me.

As for the God and Goddess, kinda like the Elements, they are not so much concrete, literal beings in my mind as they are metaphorical constructs designed to help me grapple with universal, spiritual questions. I was fascinated to read your post about Pantheists, BurtsGirl, cause that sounds similar to a lot of my beliefs. I'm looking forward to looking more closely at Pantheist.net. Thanks for the info on Reclaiming, too, Wombat. I want to take a look at that, too

I've been thinking a lot about the Divine in the last few months, and I'd like to throw some of my thoughts out there. Feel free to ignore me Theologically speaking, I guess I'd say that I believe the Divine is one continuous force that weaves throughout the universe and especially through every living thing out there. It's hard to talk about and even harder to pin down. We humans are in it and of it. And consciousness can shape it. For instance, every god or goddess that has ever been worshipped has created a little knot or node of concentrated Divinity. People, places and ideas create nodes, too. The stronger the consciousness or worship, the stronger the node. There's a mighty big Jesus node out there because so many people believe in him, and a smaller, older Odin node, and a tiny lilkat node, which will probably disappear back into the Divine fabric shortly after I pass away. There's a very strong America node, and an Internet node and a money node and a node for just about anything we throw our time, energy, faith or hope at. So I don't think it's strange at all for you to feel connected to Aurora, MLW. It's natural that some part of your spiritual life and energy may be drawn to the energy that was poured into worshipping her long ago. Even if you don't believe she is an "real", sentient being, your relationship with her may provide you with real, concrete positive results like strength or wisdom. In our spiritual lives, we can connect with whichever nodes speak to us most clearly or feel most comfortable, helping us tap into our own Divine nature. Or one could create ones own nodes by consciously throwing ones own energy into crafting the tools that work the best for oneself.

OK, I'm going to stop now, cause you all probably think I'm an absolute lunatic : I swear I'm a reasonable, analytical person most of the time!

#85 of 524 Old 01-04-2008, 09:33 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by lilkat View Post
Ooh! Such lovely long responses! I love you guys, 'cause we can have an actual discussion here that goes way beyond your typical Pagan 101 stuff
I so agree! Good stuff.

Quote:
I ID as Wiccan because:
- I celebrate the eight "Wheel of the Year" holidays
- I acknowledge the 12 (or 13) Esbats
- I use the concept of four (or five) Elements to help guide my spiritual path
- I actively use my own spiritual energy to bring about desired consequences (Magick), rather than passively requesting said outcomes from a "Higher Power" (prayer)

I suppose you could stay I am still heavily influenced by Wicca. I do celebrate the sabbats on the Wheel of the Year. I do pay attention and go out under each full moon, but it's not as big of a focus as the sabbats are for me. The elements are important to me, and my pentacle necklace is a very important personal part of my practice/person. It gets a little tricky (lol) when we get to magic I guess. I see magic everywhere in large and small ways in my world and my life. I think magic/prayer/meditation/worship are all quite interconnected for me and very blended together. I do not cast a circle though, use ritual tools such as a wand or an athame, and the only time I have ever been involved in calling quarters/watchtowers was while participating in group ritual. The rhyming spellcraft done just so has never been my bag.

Quote:
Theologically speaking, I guess I'd say that I believe the Divine is one continuous force that weaves throughout the universe and especially through every living thing out there. It's hard to talk about and even harder to pin down. We humans are in it and of it.
This makes sense to me. My relationship with the Sacred is difficult to explain as well. Technically I am monotheistic (at the core I believe the Sacred is whole, but visible and manifested in multiple ways). I also am duotheistic- seeing male and female representations of the Sacred. And last but certainly not least I am panentheistic- the Sacred is within me and more than me, nature and more than.

Quote:
OK, I'm going to stop now, cause you all probably think I'm an absolute lunatic : I swear I'm a reasonable, analytical person most of the time!
LOL Nah, not a lunatic. Or just our type of lunatic.... whatever, it's all good.

"The true measure of a man is how he treats a man who can do him absolutely no good."
peace.gif  Embrace the learning that is happening within the things that are actually happening!    
#86 of 524 Old 01-04-2008, 09:38 PM

So, to me lilkat, you make a whole bunch of sense! I am going to reread what you wrote a few times over.

#87 of 524 Old 01-04-2008, 09:41 PM - Thread Starter

Not crazy at all... I feel very similarly though I never expressed it as nodes. But that terminology works really well.

It's actually in line with a lot of writings. American Gods by Gaiman, Small Gods and Hogfather by Pratchett, various books by Eddings and DeLint, and so on. Ok, so those are all "fictional" writings but still! I really enjoy playing with the "consensus/consensual reality" theory...

The wikipedia page is http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Consensus_reality
Quote:
refers to the agreed-upon concepts of reality which people in the world, or a culture or group, believe are real (or treat as real), usually based upon their common experiences as they believe them to be; anyone who does not agree with these is sometimes stated to be "in effect... living in a different world."
But I like the more specifically "pagan" spin de Lint puts on the theory... actually, several of his books actually address the internet as the "otherworld" and give it a physical (sorta) location/rules/inhabitants and examine interaction between the worlds so it's interesting that you mention the net.

#88 of 524 Old 01-04-2008, 09:42 PM

Wombatclay - thank you for the suggestions. I am going to get the book. (Our library doesn't have it; I could wait until tomorrow and talk with an actual library to see if they can order it interlibrary-wise, but I also like buying books, so ... )

I find it interesting that over the last couple months, I have been insanely drawn to myths, and have been checking them out to read for the boys (and buying as well). There is something very reassuring on a deep level to me reading the stories from so many different cultures ... in many ways, they all say the same thing.

I will take your suggestion about finding more stories from northern Europe. I wasn't raised with much knowledge at all of my heritage. I am a first generation American on my dad's side, but our Norwegian heritage, for the most part, was left on the boat when my dad, uncle, and grandmother disembarked.

#89 of 524 Old 01-04-2008, 09:44 PM

heket - cool looking bookstore! (And I'm touched that you remembered me enough to remember where I live. ) More in a minute ... ds#3 wants to be changed. (He says that until I actually do it, and then it's a different story.)

#90 of 524 Old 01-04-2008, 09:55 PM

Hello all and Happy 2008! May it bring us all peace.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joyce in the mts. View Post
Watched a torchlight ski parade last night up on the nearby ski resort mountain, and then they had fireworks too.

The torchlight ski parade looked like a kind of ancient acknowledgement of the spirit of the land/mountains... it looked like a serpent- representing the ancient knowingness of the land- of light coming down the mountain.
Joyce- this is such a lovely image- I could instantly see it in my mind and it brought me a surge of joy. Thank you! Always lovely to "see" you here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lilkat View Post
I'm not offended or wanting to kick up a fuss or anything, I am just honestly interested: A number of you have expressed sentiments similar to "I'm Pagan but definitely not Wiccan" or "Too bad Pagan is equated with Wiccan".
I for one love when questions such as this are raised- thanks!

I do not identify as Wiccan because I do not conduct rituals in the usual Wiccan manner (casting a circle, calling the directions, etc) and I do not set up my altars in the Wiccan manner (I don't use a bell, a athame, a cauldron, etc). I don't cast spells.I do not identify with the Goddess and God view of the divine- by this I mean I do not see the Gods and Goddesses as literal beings.I do love the gods and goddess of myth and find a great deal of guidance and joy from world myths of all sorts. I do follow the wheel of the year and celebrate the esbats in my own, non-Wiccan way.

I get frustrated some times because people assume you are Wiccan if you say you are Pagan. Even my dp does this! But, at this point, it's just something for him to tease me about.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MyLittleWonders View Post
Can I butt-in and ask for a little guidance? I am rather unsure where I fit in in the bigger spiritual picture. I was raised New Age by my mom; I converted to Christianity in college and deconverted about 2 1/2 years ago. I now view Jesus and the Bible as part of the bigger myth that has been told since before time.

That said, I still have my New Age leanings, but have been curious about Paganism for a long time (as well as other beliefs ... as I said, I am rather eclectic). But, and the question above is actually really timely for me, I'm not sure about the whole God/Goddess thing, nor the worship of any particular God/Goddess, or Wicca or magick or spells ... I know some of my hesitation is due to my long time in Christinity. I am still finding layers of my old beliefs that need stripping.
Hello! I enjoyed your posts and read your other thread in Spirituality. I could really identify with what you were saying.

Basically I would say, it takes time and it can be hard and lonely, but you can create ritual that is meaningful for you and your family. I was raised Roman Catholic which installed in me a love of rich pageant. However, as I totally reject organized religion, I have come to accept that my spiritual ritual will be of a different sort. It has take many years, but I feel quite happy now with my small mindful living rituals that celebrate my connection with the universal divine. I hardly feel Pagan anymore- to be totally honest. I am just me.

Heket and UnschoolnMa, Clay and Cari~ just want to say how much I enjoy reading your posts!

Clay~ thinking of you and your zen-insanity state and hoping the move goes well!

Beautiful wild changing magical weather here. Loving it!

treehugger.gif  Mama of three daughters chicken3.gif

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page