LDS Mamas and Papa(s): JANUARY 2008 - Page 11 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 01-09-2008, 01:13 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by NewCrunchyDaddy View Post
Overall, though, I'm just glad Guiliani is doing as poorly as he is.
Me too. DH said he listened to an interview with him where he insisted up and down that the US did absolutely nothing to provoke 9/11, that the only reason it happened is the mid-eastern countries hate our freedoms and what we stand for. Riiiiight. It couldn't have anything to do with how we've behaved in their territory for the last 100 years. Scary thing is he's not alone in that belief. Can you imagine him as president with that mentality.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-09-2008, 01:19 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by quarteralien View Post
Can you imagine him as president with that mentality.
Don't we already BUSH have that? BUSH Oh my, did I say that out loud?

Okay, I've put it off long enough, I need to get to work. I just don't want to go out. We've got about 6-7 inches of snow here in the last 4 hours and it's still coming. : I just want to crawl back into bed under the covers with DW, DS and DD

"A mind needs books as a sword needs a whetstone, if it is to keep its edge." - Tyrion Lannister

Old 01-09-2008, 04:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by marlygf View Post
I love the food network. It's the reason I exercise
we don't have cable but our main office does in their work-out room.

~Jenni, rural frugal Alaskan, eternally married to Dragon
loving my wild things DS Wolf (12), 3 angels, DS Bear (6) & DS Eagle (3)

Old 01-09-2008, 04:31 PM

Quote:
I'm pretty sure I'm having a miscarriage. I'm feeling pretty detached right now, which is amazing, to just watch myself clean up the blood I left in the bathroom without much emotion. I guess it hasn't hit yet. I was 14 weeks. No summer baby for us.

I'm so sorry Bronwyn. I know it especially hard to have more than one in a row. Feel free to PM or email me if you want. My three miscarriages were all in the 12-15 wk range, so I can relate there. That's a long time to be forming attachment and loving this baby and then have to lose them.

jenni

Old 01-09-2008, 04:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by marlygf View Post
I'm planning on registering Democrat so I can vote in the Primary. Anyone in Utah know how that works? Do I need to do it now or can I show up and do it?
In utah (at least as of 3 years ago) the democrats had open primaries--meaning you can register as anything and vote in the dem primaries. Only the republican party had closed primaries (ie, you have to be registered rep to vote in teh rep primaries...)
just FYI!!! (we registered rep so we could vote in primaries...gave me a weird feeling to register as anything...parties in general bug me, but the bi-party system makes me just sick. :Puke)

Old 01-09-2008, 04:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by klg47 View Post
When I think of illegal immigration from a purely law-based viewpoint, I think "They broke the law. That's their problem - deport them all!". But when I think of it from a people-based viewpoint, I can't believe that would be a Christlike course of action. So I'm not sure what to think!
I believe in following the law...I also think that legal immegration shouldn't be hard (or very expensive, or time-consuming). It should be easy to get a workers visa, and easy to get a job with a visa (and impossible to get a job without one). Once here with a visa, it shouldn't be hard to become a citizen...
Of course, I know that a lot of people object to legalizing immigrants because they feel that they'll mooch off teh system...well, I'm sure there are immigrants doing that, but there are a LOT of born-in-the-USA white folks doing it too... I think there should be some kind of limits on how long someone can receive certain kinds of benefits, or the benefits should go down after a certain amount of time, or something like that. It's a flaw in the setup of the system, and imo it's an entirely separate issue from immigration.

/rant
lol

jenni

Old 01-09-2008, 05:24 PM

Bronwyn- I am so very sorry. My second miscarriage was at 13 weeks. I too am here if you would like to talk.

teapot2.GIF jog.gif

Old 01-09-2008, 07:55 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Bronwyn. I am so sorry.

Mom to DS(14), DS(12), DD(9), DS(6), DS (4), and DS(2)  

***4***8****13***17***21****26***heartbeat.gif****35****40

Old 01-09-2008, 10:09 PM

Missing Maggie . . . hoping she's doing well, or at least hanging in there . . .

♥ blogger astrologer mom to three cool kiddos, and trying to figure out this divorce thing-- Blossom and Glow ♥

Old 01-09-2008, 10:24 PM

Quote:
he insisted up and down that the US did absolutely nothing to provoke 9/11, that the only reason it happened is the mid-eastern countries hate our freedoms and what we stand for. Riiiiight. It couldn't have anything to do with how we've behaved in their territory for the last 100 years. Scary thing is he's not alone in that belief. Can you imagine him as president with that mentality.
Does anyone on this thread agree with Giuliani (or Bush) on this? Stand up for yourselves if you do. It really resonated with me when Ron Paul said that we provoked the September 11th attacks with our foreign policy. He compared it to China building a base in the Gulf of Mexico or directly on our land. That totally made sense to me.

Quote:
We've got about 6-7 inches of snow here in the last 4 hours and it's still coming.
Clearly you didn't check the forecast. I checked weather.com after I got to work (40 minutes after I left and traveled about 2.5 miles), and it said 50% chance of snow!
Old 01-09-2008, 10:32 PM

I certainly don't agree with them. We're a pushy, bossy nation with a huge sense of entitlement and, as Mitt proudly puts it, sovereignty! We do so much good but we also do so much evil around the world.

We are six: Me : Dh : Ds1('00) Dd('02) Ds2('05) Ds3('08) and, wow! Soon to be seven, Dd2 due 4/23.
Old 01-09-2008, 10:36 PM

Quote:
Does anyone on this thread agree with Giuliani (or Bush) on this? Stand up for yourselves if you do. It really resonated with me when Ron Paul said that we provoked the September 11th attacks with our foreign policy. He compared it to China building a base in the Gulf of Mexico or directly on our land. That totally made sense to me.
I don't agree with Giuliani or Bush on the topic. . . but don't really agree with Ron Paul either-- somewhere in the middle I guess.

♥ blogger astrologer mom to three cool kiddos, and trying to figure out this divorce thing-- Blossom and Glow ♥

Old 01-09-2008, 10:37 PM

Speaking of all this, did anyone else convert to the Church and then become much, much more liberal politically? It's like once I was introduced to pure religion (caring for the widowed and orphaned) and charity being the pure love of Christ, I found my old, mainstream conservative beliefs distasteful. Now I'm a big old melting pot of political beliefs, a true mutt.

We are six: Me : Dh : Ds1('00) Dd('02) Ds2('05) Ds3('08) and, wow! Soon to be seven, Dd2 due 4/23.
Old 01-09-2008, 10:49 PM

I'm not a convert, but my political views are getting more and more liberal. And most of my siblings vote blue. What surprises me are the sheer numbers of people who vote Republican just based on one or two issues that are important to them (the big ones being abortion and gay marriage) while ignoring the smaller issues (rather, less in the spotlight) which don't align closely with the gospel at all, while other parties may work better for some of the other more overlooked issues.

Mama to DD (5) DD (3) and DS (2 months)
Old 01-09-2008, 10:58 PM

I watched this thing on the History channel about Charlie Wilson (if anyone has heard about the movie) and Charlie Wilson at the end said that war (where they helped Afghanistan beat Russia) was probably what started what happened on 9/11. Because we gave them all these weapons, didn't train them and whatever else they did and just left. They didn't help take care of the situation. I thought it was kind of interesting and sort of refreshing to see someone taking some kind of responsibility.

(by the way, I just got this spell check thing where if you right click it gives you the right spelling. I love it!)
Old 01-09-2008, 11:21 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Clearly you didn't check the forecast. I checked weather.com after I got to work (40 minutes after I left and traveled about 2.5 miles), and it said 50% chance of snow!
It was snowing pretty heavy when I left and in Springville (where I work) it kept snowing for most of the day ... I was well on my way back to UVSC when it stopped.

"A mind needs books as a sword needs a whetstone, if it is to keep its edge." - Tyrion Lannister

Old 01-09-2008, 11:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lacysmommy View Post
I'm not a convert, but my political views are getting more and more liberal. And most of my siblings vote blue. What surprises me are the sheer numbers of people who vote Republican just based on one or two issues that are important to them (the big ones being abortion and gay marriage) while ignoring the smaller issues (rather, less in the spotlight) which don't align closely with the gospel at all, while other parties may work better for some of the other more overlooked issues.
Well said. I was trying to say something like that, but couldn't quite figure out the wording. Of course, many people honestly feel those two moral issues are the most important. And I do think they have importance, but we have to LIVE here, on this earth, in this country, and it seems to me that more practical issues need to be addressed.

Old 01-09-2008, 11:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TopazBlueMama View Post
I think you meant that George is Mitt's father, Marion's cousin. I knew Marion and lots of Romney's in mexico. Great people.
Yeah, I was suffering from lack of proper grammar. I added an extra comma! "Mitt's father, George, is cousins with Marion Romney" would have been a better word order!
Now, to go catch up on the rest of the thread.

Wife to D (12/03) and totally smitten Mama to DD (4/05) DS (2/09) and expecting DD#2  6/23/11
Old 01-09-2008, 11:57 PM

Quote:
It was snowing pretty heavy when I left and in Springville (where I work) it kept snowing for most of the day ... I was well on my way back to UVSC when it stopped.
I know, that was my point After fighting through the heavily-falling snow, it was quite hilarious to read that there was a 50% chance of snow!!
Old 01-10-2008, 12:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KermitMissesJim View Post
It's like once I was introduced to pure religion (caring for the widowed and orphaned) and charity being the pure love of Christ, I found my old, mainstream conservative beliefs distasteful.
I absolutely believe in those principles. However, I don't think it is the government's responsibility to provide them, nor do I think anyone should be forced to contribute to that philosophy. Ideally the taking care of each other would happen voluntarily, through individuals, companies, communities, and churches - not through the federal government. But what do we do when it isn't happening? I wonder what would happen if the government stepped out of all of those things right now. Would individuals step up to the plate? If not, then what? One problem is that it would be literally impossible for most individuals and churches to help anyone with even minimal health care because of the outrageous costs.
Old 01-10-2008, 12:30 AM

Uh oh... the poop just hit the ceiling between DH and his dad. DH is driving home now and his dad is coming over to talk to him and figure out what happened. Please pray that they can have a civil discussion! They should both be here before 7.

Mama to DD (5) DD (3) and DS (2 months)
Old 01-10-2008, 12:40 AM

Evidently, I agree with John Edwards on a lot of issues. So, I guess he is who I'm supporting. although, being in Michigan, I can't vote for him in the Primary because of the boycott or whatever they're calling it.
And, all I see on TV are Mccain and Romney ads. And Clinton ads. Although, the only one I can remember is Romney's, because he actually talks about Michigan in it, unlike the other generic ones.

Wife to D (12/03) and totally smitten Mama to DD (4/05) DS (2/09) and expecting DD#2  6/23/11
Old 01-10-2008, 12:41 AM

Bronwyn, I'm so sorry. Please take care of your self. You'll be in my thoughts and prayers.

Old 01-10-2008, 12:48 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
I know, that was my point After fighting through the heavily-falling snow, it was quite hilarious to read that there was a 50% chance of snow!!
Sorry. I read it as straight. It's been a long day.

Old 01-10-2008, 02:19 AM

On immigration I would like to see a very people oriented solution. My dilema is whether that would get passed or not! The last big reform plan, which I feel was not people oriented enough, didn't make it even though it was a compromise. One of the things I didn't like was the $5000 fee for undocumented workers to gain legal status. I agree with Seren, we will have paid more than $1000 by the time dh is a citizen and the sad part is that we have paid alot less than many others! A certain amount for a fee could be reasonable to cover the paperwork, immigration employees wages and background checks. But right now it costs a ton for immigration to take forever with your case. On the other hand after so many immigrants have been exploited here why would we then make them pay more money?

I absolutely believe that our foreign policy makes us a huge target. We armed the Taliban in Afganistan and set up Saddam Hussein! There is no way we should be interfering like that. Like a pp said (klg?) how would we react to other countries having military bases in our country or isolating us like we have Cuba? We would be rightly outraged that our freedoms were being limited. Our country is often so critical of Castro and Chavez, but Bush uses this countries military in far worse ways. I'm not a Castro or Chavez fan, but Bush is a horrible leader too.

Has anyone read Hegemony or Survival by Noam Chomsky?

http://www.amazon.com/Hegemony-Survi...9938465&sr=8-2

I heard it was good, but I haven't read it. Its supposedly very critical of US foreign policy. It struck me because Chomsky is a famous linguist and that was my major in college.

:::
Old 01-10-2008, 02:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by linguistmama View Post
Has anyone read Hegemony or Survival by Noam Chomsky?
I'd read it, if only because it uses the word 'hegemony', which I first heard/read when I listened to/read the Ender series by Orson Scott Card
Old 01-10-2008, 03:23 AM

Quote:
I'd read it, if only because it uses the word 'hegemony', which I first heard/read when I listened to/read the Ender series by Orson Scott Card
Me too! I love that word now

:::
Old 01-10-2008, 03:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by brightonwoman View Post
I think there should be some kind of limits on how long someone can receive certain kinds of benefits, or the benefits should go down after a certain amount of time, or something like that. It's a flaw in the setup of the system, and imo it's an entirely separate issue from immigration.

jenni
What they need to do is let college hours count as work hours so people on welfare can more easily get an education and rise above a life doomed to poverty. Not everyone can work full time and go to school and be a single parent. Some do, but not without tremedous sacrifices.

My two cents.
Old 01-10-2008, 11:09 AM

Katie, I agree with you about welfare, but I'm so done with talking about politics. I'm pretty burnt out on the subject. Basically, I'm for less government, which means less government welfare. I could go into it more-- almost started to-- but I really don't want to right now.

Must . . . . change . . . . subject . . . .

Gonna be sunny here all day. Ahhh, that feels better.

Old 01-10-2008, 03:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LionTigerBear View Post
Must . . . . change . . . . subject . . . .

Gonna be sunny here all day. Ahhh, that feels better.
we have about a foot of snow.

I've just started knitting some socks that will be felted (these ones) I'm thoroughly enjoying myself. I'm a very beginner knitter, and this is my first time following a pattern (in the past I've done a scarf and a couple of hats). Anyway, my yarn is 'rose garden' which you can see here, and the socks are coming along so pretty!

I just got a phone call because the librarian/computer lab supervisor is sick today, so I'm going to go in and sub for her this afternoon (they asked if I could come all day, but I don't want to go before lunch because it's super stressful for me to try to be at work, then only have an hour to get home, make and eat lunch, and get back, all with a baby in tow... I usually have a hot lunch ready when dh and ds get home, but if I'm just getting home myself, well, it's just stressful...) SO, I guess I passed up about $20, but I'm not going in until after lunch. I don't really want to go at all, but that's just me being lazy, there's actually no good reason for me to not go after lunch.

My doggie has a new best friend (the doggie of the people who babysat her while we were gone for the holidays). They keep showing up at the other's house...i've got a funny picture of them on my blog.

And, I just started "Twilight" yesterday. Between knitting and teh book, I may be a little scarce here.

How's that for a few new topics?!

User Tag List