LDS Mamas and Papa(s): JANUARY 2008 - Page 15 - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#421 of 931 Old 01-13-2008, 12:31 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
LTB~ i might have been to your blog. i seriously can't remember. i love those family pics. has anyone ever told you your DH looks an awful lot like Ricky Schroder (sp?)

i took the test. i got Gravel and Kucinich tied for the top then John Edwards and then Clinton and Obama tied for third. Romney is my last one
i do love Edwards but i won't be bothered by President Obama, either.

Maggie, blissfully married mama of 5 little ladies on my own little path. homeschool.gif gd.gifRainbow.gif
#422 of 931 Old 01-13-2008, 12:33 AM

So I guess a bunch of us think Mike Gravel should be president

I have John Cox, Dennis Kucinich, and Joseph Biden are next. Ron Paul is 5th, Hillary Clinton 7th, Mitt Romney 13th and Barack Obama is 16th. Seriously, I don't know what anyone wants and my top 4 I don't know who they are and I don't think they running anymore. UGH!

Maggie, he totally does (dh agrees)
#423 of 931 Old 01-13-2008, 12:48 AM

YES! I've seen LTB's pictures of her dh before and I always think that too! He could be Ricky Schroeder.
#424 of 931 Old 01-13-2008, 01:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bekka View Post
Thanks, does anyone know who Mike Gravel is? I can see he's from Alaska ...
He was my #2 I think, and ditto here...I don't know a thing about him! Not even living in AK! nobody seems to know anything abou thim...he's just a little guy who somehow got into the race, but nobody thinks he'll get anywhere, so they ignore him...stupid stupid stupid (is there a smily of smaking ones head against the wall? insert that *here*)

I watched Man of the Year last night (I think that's waht it's called--the one where Robin Williams becomes president). It was GREAT. And so timely. Everybody should go rent it tonight.

~Jenni, rural frugal Alaskan, eternally married to Dragon
loving my wild things DS Wolf (12), 3 angels, DS Bear (6) & DS Eagle (3)

#425 of 931 Old 01-13-2008, 01:28 AM

Do the posting times show up in local time for the poster, or local time for the reader? For example, my last post here says 7:22pm (Alaska time here of course...)
I had never thought about this until this mornign when I noticed tha tsomeone's post said something like 5:40am, and I thought whoa, either she was up way too early, or it's 8 where she is and it just shows my time...
So, what time does my last post say for you folks?

jenni (ever the curious one!)
(also ever working to increase the post count )

#426 of 931 Old 01-13-2008, 01:30 AM

mine said 9:28 and that's what time it is form me. I think you set that somewhere. I remember setting it up.
#427 of 931 Old 01-13-2008, 01:35 AM

Your post says 8:28, so my settings are on Pacific time apparently. I always wondered about that too.
Jen

Wife to a great DH, SAHM to 3 great kids
#428 of 931 Old 01-13-2008, 01:48 AM

Katie, I got Ron Paul at 73& too... my top picks were John Cox, Tancredo, and Duncan Hunter, all 3 of whom I've not heard a thing about.

Jenni, that post of yours says 9:22 for me, and my settings are Mtn time, so yours must be AK time.
#429 of 931 Old 01-13-2008, 01:53 AM

You can select which time zone shows up, and everyone's posts shows up in the time zone you pick, regardless of which time zone they are in.
#430 of 931 Old 01-13-2008, 03:09 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by brightonwoman View Post
(is there a smily of smaking ones head against the wall? insert that *here*)

"A mind needs books as a sword needs a whetstone, if it is to keep its edge." - Tyrion Lannister

#431 of 931 Old 01-13-2008, 04:16 AM

so i just finished Eclipse and i'm wondering if i should just start a thread in Books about this buuuuut....

surely i'm not the only one on team Jacob! i just like him more. Bella annoys me and Edward is just too.... unbelievably perfect. but Jacob... even I have a crush on him (excepting the big muscular thing. i like my men pale and scrawny ) i really hope Bella chooses him. :

Maggie, blissfully married mama of 5 little ladies on my own little path. homeschool.gif gd.gifRainbow.gif
#432 of 931 Old 01-13-2008, 11:19 AM

I haven't read Eclipse yet, but I finished New Moon a couple of days ago, and a whole lot of things left me scratching my head. I thought I'd run them past the experts here.
1. Why did it take Victoria a year to go after Bella? Don't tell me it took her that long to find her. She should have started in Forks. It was the obvious place. What was she doing all that time?
2. The old vampires dicover Bella is immune to their powers as well as Edward's, so they conclude no one's powers work on her. Except for Jasper's and Alice's. Or should I not have noticed that?
3. That whole exchange where Edward asked her to marry him left me banging my head against the wall. She's willing to potentially damn her soul in order to spend eternity with him, but she doesn't want to marry him? And forget that line about hurting her parents and going against their wishes. Too late, Bella. You've already done that MULTIPLE times without so much as a backward glance. That argument just won't fly and I'm disappointed Edward didn't call her on it.
4. The other part of that exchange that bothered me is he asked her what impossible thing she wanted, and she wanted him to be the one to bite her. No one so far in the books has mentioned this, but I think as long as you are asking for the impossible, why not ask for the IMPOSSIBLE? Ask for Edward to become human again, to be redeemed, because he obviously believes there is no saving grace for him. Why wouldn't he want that? Then they can have that normal human life he spends so much time telling her she'll be missing out on.
Alright, carry on.
#433 of 931 Old 01-13-2008, 02:34 PM

I just got Mike Gravel as well! 82.35% match. John Cox and Ron Paul are my next matches, and bottom of the barrel include both Hillary and Mitt!

Looking forward to another wonderful day of Sunbeams. DD2 has only been out of bed for 15 minutes and so far has threatened her sister and took away her toy. And screamed through her time out! I'm really hoping she'll sit in opening excersizes without DH or myself there.

Mama to DD (5) DD (3) and DS (2 months)
#434 of 931 Old 01-13-2008, 02:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by magstphil View Post
so i just finished Eclipse
I just finished Twilight...on monday I'll have to go borrow New Moon (I'm borrowing them from dh's student, only in a tiny town like this, eh? I asked at the library if she had them, and she didn't, and I was starting to ask if she could get them on interlibrary loan when the student piped up and said "I have those" and the next day she brought Twilight to school for dh to bring home to me. :-)
(the fun thing about interlibrary loan here is that usually the book is due within a day or two of when it arrives...sometimes the late notice arrives before the book! )
I also knit a whole sock since tuesday. It's been a busy week!

(teeny spoilers)
In the first book it's only edward--jacob is so minor and bella is so wrapped up in edward that it's rediculous... i agree, though, bella is annoying Can't wait to see her develop a crush on the werewolf too.

#435 of 931 Old 01-13-2008, 02:58 PM

DS and I didn't make it to church. He's been sick and I've been getting it too. *sighs* It sucks. My week revolves around Sundays. I get such an emotional/spiritual pick up every week and it really sucked not to be able to go today. But there was no way I could go and deal with being sick myself AND having DS with me the whole time. Oh well. The missionaries are coming over for dinner tomorrow night. Then they find out Tuesday who will be leaving me. I think I'll scream if they take them both. There's nothing worse than having 2 new missionaries at the same time.

Momma to DS1 4/5/06 nursed with IGT to self-weaning at 27 months, DS2 1/20/09 still nursing, DS3 due late November - planning to tandem with IGT and SNS
#436 of 931 Old 01-13-2008, 03:05 PM

There was a fire at our church yesterday in the boiler/furnace room. There was no structural damage, but there was a lot of smoke damage, so there's no church today. Makes it seem like a very strange day.

The stake presidency asked us (through the calling tree) to attend another ward, (one of the blessings of being in Utah is that we can drive 5 minutes and be to another chapel in our stake) but dh doesn't want to go. I need to go- I really don't want to spend the whole day sitting around feeling blah.

Violin teaching, doula-ing Mom to Abby, (8) Ashlynn, (6) : and Max (11/13/08) Diagnosed with Metopic Craniosynostosis. First surgery 5/1/09, Second surgery March 2010.
#437 of 931 Old 01-13-2008, 03:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stacymom View Post
There was a fire at our church yesterday in the boiler/furnace room. There was no structural damage, but there was a lot of smoke damage, so there's no church today. Makes it seem like a very strange day.

The stake presidency asked us (through the calling tree) to attend another ward, (one of the blessings of being in Utah is that we can drive 5 minutes and be to another chapel in our stake) but dh doesn't want to go. I need to go- I really don't want to spend the whole day sitting around feeling blah.
Wow, that must be nice! It's a 20 minute drive to my ward, and at least a 45 minute drive to anywhere else. (although the stake center, plus two other wards are within that 45 minute frame).

Momma to DS1 4/5/06 nursed with IGT to self-weaning at 27 months, DS2 1/20/09 still nursing, DS3 due late November - planning to tandem with IGT and SNS
#438 of 931 Old 01-13-2008, 03:11 PM

#439 of 931 Old 01-13-2008, 03:15 PM

#440 of 931 Old 01-13-2008, 03:25 PM

Quote:
so i just finished Eclipse and i'm wondering if i should just start a thread in Books about this buuuuut....
There's already a thread about the series in general, I think.

Quote:
surely i'm not the only one on team Jacob!
Yup, you are - sorry Just kidding - they have Jacob shirts, so apparently SOMEONE is buying them!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by quarteralien View Post
I haven't read Eclipse yet, but I finished New Moon a couple of days ago, and a whole lot of things left me scratching my head. I thought I'd run them past the experts here.
Check out twilightlexicon.com next time you have 10 hours to spare. It will answer all your questions.

Quote:
2. The old vampires dicover Bella is immune to their powers as well as Edward's, so they conclude no one's powers work on her. Except for Jasper's and Alice's. Or should I not have noticed that?
I wrote out a nice, long explanation, and it got deleted : Short answer - Bella is only immune to mind powers. Aro's, Jane's, & Edward's powers are mind-based. Jasper's and Alice's are physically or reality based.

Quote:
3. That whole exchange where Edward asked her to marry him left me banging my head against the wall. She's willing to potentially damn her soul in order to spend eternity with him, but she doesn't want to marry him?
I totally agree. Maybe Stephenie is trying to appeal to a broader audience - a lot of girls/women in our culture are terrified of marriage. However, maybe she doesn't care about society - she says she's going to stick with the no premarital sex idea, and that certainly doesn't match society's opinion!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by lacysmommy View Post
I just got Mike Gravel as well! 82.35% match.
Maybe it's fixed! We all have vastly differing political opinions, and we're all getting him in our top few!
#441 of 931 Old 01-13-2008, 03:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by klg47 View Post
Maybe it's fixed! We all have vastly differing political opinions, and we're all getting him in our top few!
I was starting to think that, too. How can he be my #1 and Dennis be my #2 and others are getting him in their top and getting my other top people as their bottom of the barrel? Is he just a flip-flopper or what?

I have to say my biggest issue with voting is that I will never find someone that I agree with completely. I am 100% pro-life, and 100% for gay marriage. For some reason, those two things don't go together? You either support civil rights for everyone in this country, but don't mind babies being killed, or else you protect the babies but nobody else. I don't get it.

#442 of 931 Old 01-13-2008, 04:03 PM

I heart Jacob. A lot. And I think Bella should end up with Edward because they both deserve each other. They both kind of annoy me. I am looking forward to seeing how it all works out. Anyone else excited about her other book she's releasing soon?

I'm trying to decide whether to go to church or not. DH is taking the kids but our baby was burning up all night. He nursed ALL night too. Luckily dh took him this morning and let me sleep (one good thing about afternoon church). His fever seems to be mostly gone now, just slightly warmer than normal, and he's his normal happy self.

We did one of the funnest things EVER yesterday. We went to SLC and went to afternoon tea at the Grand America hotel. It's on the pricey side for what you get but we all agreed that it was the best spent money we have done in a long long time. It was so nice and relaxing and peaceful, even with the baby - he was so good! We also toured the Capitol here since it recently was finished with renovations. We thought the Grand America was nicer

I took one of those political surveys and I ended up with Gravel as my number one also. I'm not going to worry about who I'm voting for until November. I'm already tired of it and at least there will be fewer people to choose from then. I'm going to try to go to the Dem primaries here so I can vote for Obama instead of Clinton. So far I kind of like him best, just based on principals and not necessarily policy. I can't agree with anyone on policy
#443 of 931 Old 01-13-2008, 04:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moonprysm View Post
I have to say my biggest issue with voting is that I will never find someone that I agree with completely.
My biggest issue is finding a balance between someone I agree with and someone I think will actually do a good job. For instance, I agree with a whole lot of Ron Paul's ideas. But I don't think he would make a good president. I don't think he would be able to implement most of those ideas. I still haven't found a candidate that I think will fix all the messes we are in, but I'm still going to vote for Romney because I think he has a variety of experiences in both government and business. I don't necessarily agree with everything he says. But I think he would do a good job. Does that make sense?

Quote:
I wrote out a nice, long explanation, and it got deleted : Short answer - Bella is only immune to mind powers. Aro's, Jane's, & Edward's powers are mind-based. Jasper's and Alice's are physically or reality based.
Jasper manipulated her emotions. That sure sounds like mind power to me. And Alice can see the things she does... I don't know, I still don't understand it.

Quote:
I totally agree. Maybe Stephenie is trying to appeal to a broader audience - a lot of girls/women in our culture are terrified of marriage. However, maybe she doesn't care about society - she says she's going to stick with the no premarital sex idea, and that certainly doesn't match society's opinion!!
I think that's what disappointed me about it. I know religion has nothing to do with the story, but I still felt like an LDS author should have treated marriage with more respect than that conversation showed.
#444 of 931 Old 01-13-2008, 05:01 PM

Bronwyn~ Bella being immune is discussed in Eclipse. Jasper does affect the body not directly the mind. Alice says his "gift" works at you from the chemical level. your body actually releases the chemicals needed to feel calm etc.

i appreciate Meyers way of writing from an "outside" POV rather than an LDS. i think she approaches marriage very well in Eclipse. the convos in the books about marriage and sex are very tame and far more forgiving than most real life and "worldly" conversations on both issues. she struck a fair balance. an annoying over done just-drop-it-already! balance but a fair one, none the less.

the thing that bugs me about Edward is that he is way too overprotective. Jacob doesn't treat Bella like a doll. but, then again, Bella is so clingy/needy she probably should be treated like a doll. there are so many parts in these books where i ask myself why i'm reading them. they're so predictable and unbelievable. Tolkien, Rowling, heck! even Jordon could make fantasy believable but Meyer can't seem to even with such a tame borderline "fantasy world". still, i just have to know what happens next. i think she laced the pages with heroin...

#445 of 931 Old 01-13-2008, 05:04 PM

oh and i totally think that test is rigged! everyone is getting Gravel.

#446 of 931 Old 01-13-2008, 05:32 PM

Re: Gravel

Quote:
or, maybe he changes his mind every two days, or says anything (or says nothing...) and therefore agrees with everybody...

#447 of 931 Old 01-13-2008, 06:04 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
oh and i totally think that test is rigged! everyone is getting Gravel.
I didn't ... I got Obama on top, then Hillary, then Edwards, then Kucinich (or however you spell his name). Gravel was waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaay down the list, like 11%, though he did come in before Romney did on my list, Romney was like 3% match!

"A mind needs books as a sword needs a whetstone, if it is to keep its edge." - Tyrion Lannister

#448 of 931 Old 01-13-2008, 06:04 PM

Quote:
there are so many parts in these books where i ask myself why i'm reading them. they're so predictable and unbelievable. Tolkien, Rowling, heck! even Jordon could make fantasy believable but Meyer can't seem to even with such a tame borderline "fantasy world". still, i just have to know what happens next. i think she laced the pages with heroin...
I keep saying that too. Why am I doing this? I've read variations on this theme already. I think that's why I didn't even comment on Jacob in New Moon. That whole part of the book was so soap operish and unbelievable I just sort of pretended it didn't happen. And the lovey-dovey can't-live-without-you romance is so over the top to me. But, I was discussing these books with my sisters, one of whom is a huge fan and the other a casual fan. The huge fan sister is like me, didn't have a teenage romance at all, and didn't date very many people before her DH. Our other sister nearly married her teenage romance, and said one of the reasons she isn't a huge fan is the romance reminds her so forcefully of her own first love. So I'm interested. Do any of you who really like the series have memories of a romance like Edward and Bella? Because it seems so foreign to me, but maybe it's just my lack of experience.
#449 of 931 Old 01-13-2008, 08:34 PM

Quote:
I still haven't found a candidate that I think will fix all the messes we are in, but I'm still going to vote for Romney because I think he has a variety of experiences in both government and business. I don't necessarily agree with everything he says. But I think he would do a good job. Does that make sense?
Yup, I'm on that boat. They can say and have the best of intentions, but do they have a track record of success, of being able to actually fix things and succeed in leadership positions . . . .

Sunday was good. DS1 loves sunbeams. Today after his class he came flying toward me and exclaimed, "I'm so happy!" I love him so much!

♥ blogger astrologer mom to three cool kiddos, and trying to figure out this divorce thing-- Blossom and Glow ♥

#450 of 931 Old 01-13-2008, 08:39 PM - Thread Starter

We made it to Church, though we missed Sacrament Meeting. Elders' Quorum was a shining example of why I don't like Elders' Quorum: 45 minutes talking about Bowl Games and the last EQ v. EQ Basketball game, and a 15 minute lesson that barely had anything to do with the manual on the First Vision.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page